PDA

View Full Version : Life High school reunions

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2016, 04:17 PM
My 20-year high school reunion is happening in about an hour. I'm not going. I didn't really care to go anyway, but add in the fact that it's halfway across the country, and I just don't care.

But it got me wondering how many of you have gone (or will go) to your high school reunions? Keep in touch with people from high school? It seemed from the Facebook group that quite a few of my fellow classmates also aren't going tonight.

Thanks to Facebook, I have communication with a small handful of friends, but I can't say any of them are really in my life anymore.

Frosty
07-30-2016, 04:22 PM
I went to the 5, 10 and 20 year reunions and just got more and more uncomfortable at each. I missed the 30 year and don't plan on going to any more.

SAUTO
07-30-2016, 04:23 PM
My 20-year high school reunion is happening in about an hour. I'm not going. I didn't really care to go anyway, but add in the fact that it's halfway across the country, and I just don't care.

But it got me wondering how many of you have gone (or will go) to your high school reunions? Keep in touch with people from high school? It seemed from the Facebook group that quite a few of my fellow classmates also aren't going tonight.

Thanks to Facebook, I have communication with a small handful of friends, but I can't say any of them are really in my life anymore.
Most of my friends when I was in HS were three or four years older than me. I'm still friends with most of them today.

No reunions for me

rico
07-30-2016, 04:23 PM

I went to my 10 year reunion. My 15 year reunion is in about a month. I don't know if I'm going or not...I'm definitely not making it a priority. If I have absolutely nothing else to do, I'll go...maybe. I didn't really care for my graduating class. I always wished I was in the grade 2 above me or the 3 grades behind me. The 2000 and 2001 classes sucked ass at my school. I see the people from my class as often as I care to anyways.

SAUTO
07-30-2016, 04:25 PM
We have neighborhood reunions. Everyone shows up to those.

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2016, 04:27 PM
The 5- and 15-year reunions are interesting... We only had 10 and now 20. I don't think I'd want to see most of those people every five years.

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2016, 04:28 PM
We have neighborhood reunions. Everyone shows up to those.

You mean like neighborhood where you grew up?

Dunit35
07-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Skipped my 10 year. We had 51 in our class and about 40 of those stayed in that tiny town.

Cheater5
07-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Never have, never will. I once ran across a good friend from high school who also went into the Army while in Kuwait. He was heading home and I was heading north. That's it in 25 years.

I don't hate anyone from my class, but I've moved on. I've never done Facebook or anything else like that- CP is the only form of social media I participate in.

Kman34
07-30-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't have a Facebook account so some of my classmates thought I was dead....

SAUTO
07-30-2016, 04:44 PM
You mean like neighborhood where you grew up?

Yep.

No one would believe it if you knew the neighborhood

displacedinMN
07-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Had a 10 and went to it. Big Whoop. No 20. Doubt if have a 30.

there was only 12 in the class. Six of them now live within 10 miles of each other.
I do not. Still do not have facebook.

Buzz
07-30-2016, 04:55 PM
I went to the 5 year, it was pretty fun. I haven't gone to one since and our 30 year is coming up in about a month. My wife pretty much hates most of my old friends. I keep in touch with some people on facebook that's about it other than one or two I might see a few times a year. I just ran in to one at the grocery store about an hour ago.

Bowser
07-30-2016, 04:57 PM
It's nostalgic fun to go back and see some people. My graduating class was pretty big - upwards of 700 - so it's not like I see majority of them all the time anyway. My 30 is coming up in a few years and I'll go to it.

It is amazing to see how the jocks got fat and lazy, how the hot chicks let themselves go, and how the ugly nerds are hot and have their shit together more so than the people that used to pick on them.

Over Yonder
07-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Skipped my 10 year. We had 51 in our class and about 40 of those stayed in that tiny town.

We graduated 33. Class of 1994. I would have to sit and really think how many now are outside of a 50 mile or so radius of "home". Not very many for sure. I was that kid that wanted to get away from here. Went and followed any job that would lead me away from here. After seeing "the world" so to speak (as in mid-america) I ended up back home. Cant think of any reason I would ever leave again.

The reunion question. I have only been to 1 of mine and I think 2 of the wifes. I wasnt real impressed. Spent almost all my time talking to folks I could of talked to any day of the week. But, like I said Im based at home. There is a guy or 2 that I remember that I would like to see how life has turned out for. But they were not in my class. So I wouldnt see them there anyways.

Why Not?
07-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Never have, never will. I once ran across a good friend from high school who also went into the Army while in Kuwait. He was heading home and I was heading north. That's it in 25 years.

I don't hate anyone from my class, but I've moved on. I've never done Facebook or anything else like that- CP is the only form of social media I participate in.

Minus the military service part(thanks for that), and the fact it's been 20 years vs 25, I relate to everything else you posted.

HemiEd
07-30-2016, 05:29 PM
It's nostalgic fun to go back and see some people. My graduating class was pretty big - upwards of 700 - so it's not like I see majority of them all the time anyway. My 30 is coming up in a few years and I'll go to it.

It is amazing to see how the jocks got fat and lazy, how the hot chicks let themselves go, and how the ugly nerds are hot and have their shit together more so than the people that used to pick on them.
That was my take as well.
I think the last one I went to was my 25, 50 is in a couple years and will probably go to that.

Abba-Dabba
07-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Never have, never will. Only reunion I would go to would be a military reunion. Other than that, no interest.

LoneWolf
07-30-2016, 05:38 PM
I have a close knit group of 15 friends from high school that we all still get together once a month and play golf or poker, depending on the weather. I went to both my 10 year and 20 year reunions and ended up spending most of the time chatting with the same group of friends I see every month. I doubt I'll waste my time going to any of the future class reunions.

ChiefsCountry
07-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Class reunions are pretty good time. Our class was always extremely close to one another so when we get together it's always a good time. We also were a class where everybody had to out do each other, so put that mentality plus all being close equals a shit show when the booze starts flowing.

underEJ
07-30-2016, 06:13 PM
I had a lot of fun at my ten year. Many people were totally surprised that I showed up since I was one of the gotta get out of here, got big plans types. :) missed the 20 due to work deadlines, but I'll try to hit the 30 when it comes around. I still have a lot of the same friends and we live all over the country so we have our own reunions every 5 years or so. I'm lucky though. I have one of my close high school friends in LA too. And I keep a place in KC so I'm there often to see the ones who stuck around.

I went to two high schools. You couldn't pay me to reunite with the other ones.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Never been to one, although I'd like to see what some of the hot chicks back then look like now. Graduate of 81 so I guess the next would be a 40 year. Damn !

Buehler445
07-30-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't think we had a 5 year. For the 10 year they did it all through Facebook so I had no idea. Some gals were epic pissed because I live in town, but have my head buried in the dust most days. Apparently it was a good time, but there are 2 couples I keep track of but that's it. Everyone else I see is nice but it's obviously not a big deal because nobody reaches out.

tmax63
07-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Had a good time at my 10th. Was in the Army, new young blond wife and it was a blast to see everyone else fat, married to a local and 2 or 3 snot-nosed kids. Has gotten more boring since. Made my 35th a couple yrs ago and it really wasn't worth the effort.

Rain Man
07-30-2016, 07:12 PM
I really enjoy our class reunions. I've always been kind of a people watcher, so I pretty much knew who everyone in my class was (330+ people). It's fun to see them now and see how everyone's lives are progressing. Sometimes my predictions are right and sometimes they're really wrong.

Fire Me Boy!
07-30-2016, 07:38 PM
I really enjoy our class reunions. I've always been kind of a people watcher, so I pretty much knew who everyone in my class was (330+ people). It's fun to see them now and see how everyone's lives are progressing. Sometimes my predictions are right and sometimes they're really wrong.

I'm interested in the most wrong you were...

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2016, 08:50 PM
My 20 will be in June about 1 week after my next BBing show so Ill be ripped up with veins looking like a human road map. Should be fun to see all the fatties :)

I like Jason's neighborhood idea. We have tossed that one around for awhile and I would enjoy it more

alpha_omega
07-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Went to 10, had a good time. Not sure if they have had one since, but if they have i haven't been.

I will say though that even after 10, it's true that the hot chicks aren't really all that hot any longer (well, most anyway)...i am sure that factor increases at 20 or 30 years.

lewdog
07-30-2016, 08:59 PM
My graduating class was 30 kids. I stayed friends with a good handful of them. Many of the others are still in the area and not doing much with their lives. It's rather sad seeing that and no one was even motivated enough to go back for our 10 year.

bevischief
07-30-2016, 09:24 PM
I hated high school.

bevischief
07-30-2016, 09:29 PM
20 plus years and
You don't talk to them...

O.city
07-30-2016, 09:33 PM
My 10 year is this year. Class of 30. Should be interesting.

Lonewolf Ed
07-30-2016, 09:35 PM
My 30th is coming up in September. I was part of the planning committee for the 25th, but not so much this time around due to my health problems. My class has for the most part remained tight over the years and we pretty much all get along. We have "mini-reunions" every year, with just a big get together at a local bar, and have even rented party buses. We go all out and have a big 2 day event for the 5 and 0 year reunions. It's always a great time, except for when we read "The List" of our deceased classmates. It's pretty long now, and maybe I'll be on it, too, for the 35th reunion.

Rain Man
07-30-2016, 09:38 PM
I'm interested in the most wrong you were...

Probably the most wrong was a guy who was a nice guy but I didn't really think he had a high ceiling on potential. He became a nurse and then decided to go to med school and ultimately became an anesthesiologist. Unfortunately, I think he then died very young.

There are the usual stories of really attractive gals becoming Kirstie Alley, but there was one who went the other way. She was pretty frumpy and overweight in high school. She was pretty cool and known to be smart and witty, but frankly was a bit mannish and wasn't a gal you would ask out. She showed up at our 20th and people literally didn't believe her when she would say her name. She wasn't slender because that wasn't her body type, but she was attractive and polished and well made up in a way that would draw heads on the street.

We did have one classmate who was a very popular and low-key guy. He was one of those people that literally everyone liked, because he was kind of a goof, but a solid guy. He built up an arsenal and went to prison after a major standoff with police after he threatened to blow up some government buildings. That was a big surprise.

Most of the surprises were positive, though, in the form of seemingly low-potential people who found a good niche in life. Good for them.

Simply Red
07-30-2016, 09:41 PM
I never went to any of mine, my 25 is coming up. :eek:

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Probably the most wrong was a guy who was a nice guy but I didn't really think he had a high ceiling on potential. He became a nurse and then decided to go to med school and ultimately became an anesthesiologist. Unfortunately, I think he then died very young.

There are the usual stories of really attractive gals becoming Kirstie Alley, but there was one who went the other way. She was pretty frumpy and overweight in high school. She was pretty cool and known to be smart and witty, but frankly was a bit mannish and wasn't a gal you would ask out. She showed up at our 20th and people literally didn't believe her when she would say her name. She wasn't slender because that wasn't her body type, but she was attractive and polished and well made up in a way that would draw heads on the street.

We did have one classmate who was a very popular and low-key guy. He was one of those people that literally everyone liked, because he was kind of a goof, but a solid guy. He built up an arsenal and went to prison after a major standoff with police after he threatened to blow up some government buildings. That was a big surprise.

Most of the surprises were positive, though, in the form of seemingly low-potential people who found a good niche in life. Good for them.

Seems like every class has one of those build up an arsenal and have a police standoff guys.

ChiTown
07-30-2016, 09:53 PM
I might hit my 35th in a couple years. Last one I went to was my 20th and it sucked.

I had an amazing time is HS, I just don't care to re-live it that often

Iowanian
07-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Went to one with the Mrs last week. It was pretty painless, I just drank beer with a couple of the other husbands while they did their thing. I'm supposed to have one in the fall. Last time we did a tailgate and a family bbq thing the next day.

We got along oretty well in school so it's nice to see the people who show up. It's also nice that people just are who they are at this point. I'll probably go if I can.

Besides....we've gotten together for more funerals than reunions so it's nice to see people without having that shit.

Rain Man
07-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Seems like every class has one of those build up an arsenal and have a police standoff guys.

And they're always the guy you'd least expect, a quiet guy who kept to himself.

Nzoner
07-30-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm actually hosting our 35th in 2 weeks and seeing that my nik in high school was jammin' joe can't wait as I'm doing the music and am pulling out some great one hit wonders like.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9SCzVEUlqqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty
07-30-2016, 10:31 PM
I hated high school.

Me too. I didn't like most of those people 30+ years ago so I don't know why I would want to drive 8 hours to visit them.

One thing that's weird though, is that as far as I know, we have only lost two people from our class 0f 125 and both were suicides.

Rain Man
07-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Me too. I didn't like most of those people 30+ years ago so I don't know why I would want to drive 8 hours to visit them.

One thing that's weird though, is that as far as I know, we have only lost two people from our class 0f 125 and both were suicides.

I'm curious how many my class of 337 has lost, but it's way more than two. Heck, we lost two in high school before we graduated.

Frosty
07-30-2016, 10:36 PM
I'm curious how many my class of 337 has lost, but it's way more than two. Heck, we lost two in high school before we graduated.

Well, there are some people that no one has been able to track down so there may have been more but only two confirmed. We did lose a kid in 8th grade from my class but I didn't count that.

ThaVirus
07-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Funny to hear all these "class of 10, 30".

My graduating class had to have been near 1,000. We held our graduation ceremony at the Amway where the Magic play. Place was packed.

Rain Man
07-30-2016, 10:55 PM
Well, there are some people that no one has been able to track down so there may have been more but only two confirmed. We did lose a kid in 8th grade from my class but I didn't count that.

The SSA has some survival tables at the end of this document: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/LifeTables_Body.html

Interpolating a bit, it looks like someone about my age has about an 85 percent chance of surviving to age 55. If you're roughly the same age, that likely means that you've lost about 19 people from your class if you're around 55. (I have no idea of your age, but this is just an illustration and I know you graduated at least 30 years ago.)

Egad, that would mean that I've lost about 50 from my class of 337.

KS Smitty
07-30-2016, 11:11 PM
I saw my least favorite classmate the other day ... still hate him.

If he will be present at a reunion then I'm passing.

Frosty
07-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Interpolating a bit, it looks like someone about my age has about an 85 percent chance of surviving to age 55. If you're roughly the same age, that likely means that you've lost about 19 people from your class if you're around 55. (I have no idea of your age, but this is just an illustration and I know you graduated at least 30 years ago.)

Egad, that would mean that I've lost about 50 from my class of 337.

I'm 52 and graduated in '82. I'll have to check with someone more tuned in with the class (kinda morbid maybe) but I am pretty sure I would have heard through a friend or the class reunion site. Maybe we are lucky or maybe we are all primed to start dropping like flies.

Frosty
07-30-2016, 11:46 PM
One thing that's kind of shitty is my wife has never been invited to any of her reunions. Her 30 should be this summer and we have heard nothing despite her parents still living in the same place they were when she went to school plus she is on Facebook and Classmates (at one time). She isn't hard to find even though we don't live in the area any more.

Word is that the people the run the reunions basically just invite their friends and people that ran in their circle in high school (ie, not the one my wife was in). She kinda would like to go but I'm thinking "**** 'em if they are going to act like that".

CoMoChief
07-31-2016, 12:09 AM
With FB, no one seemed to care about the 10yr HS reuinion in my class. Myself included. The people who I wish to keep in touch with from HS I keep in touch with. Don't care to see people I never really hung out with or people I didn't like. My 10yr was 4 yrs ago, grad in 2002. They set up a FB page and I think only about 30-40 ppl showed up (out of a class of 500+), and that included spouses.

Over Yonder
07-31-2016, 01:04 AM
Funny to hear all these "class of 10, 30".

My graduating class had to have been near 1,000. We held our graduation ceremony at the Amway where the Magic play. Place was packed.

This brings to mind my wifes cousin. Their class graduated exactly 7. And that was a relatively normal number for the school. ... and he was the only guy!! 6 girls and one boy!! Man, if that aint a porn in the making I dont know what is ROFL

(They do pay through the nose on property taxes to keep that little school opened. But it is still opened to this day:thumb: )

displacedinMN
07-31-2016, 06:55 AM
This brings to mind my wifes cousin. Their class graduated exactly 7. And that was a relatively normal number for the school. ... and he was the only guy!! 6 girls and one boy!! Man, if that aint a porn in the making I dont know what is ROFL

(They do pay through the nose on property taxes to keep that little school opened. But it is still opened to this day:thumb: )

Class of 12 like I said before.

3 sets of cousins. Each set was a boy/girl. They cousin sets were not related to each other (thank god)

Our school district does not exist anymore.

PunkinDrublic
07-31-2016, 07:24 AM
I really went through a socially awkward phase in High School. No hard feelings, but I really don't have any interest in going back.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2016, 07:43 AM
No chance I go at all....have a few as fb friends but dgaf otherwise to go

Valiant
07-31-2016, 12:33 PM
My 20th is next year. We only had a 10 year. I think a 5 or 15 would have been better. Most of the girls were fat and horrendous at the 10 year. No idea how that will improve at the 20.

I talk to one person from my grade out of 300. I think we had 60 maybe 70 go to the 10year. I guess like most, people dont care anymore with social media.

Valiant
07-31-2016, 12:42 PM
One thing that's kind of shitty is my wife has never been invited to any of her reunions. Her 30 should be this summer and we have heard nothing despite her parents still living in the same place they were when she went to school plus she is on Facebook and Classmates (at one time). She isn't hard to find even though we don't live in the area any more.

Word is that the people the run the reunions basically just invite their friends and people that ran in their circle in high school (ie, not the one my wife was in). She kinda would like to go but I'm thinking "**** 'em if they are going to act like that".

Then teen movie that thing. Have your own reunion with everyone but those people. Bigger. Better. Nerdier.

Frosty
07-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Then teen movie that thing. Have your own reunion with everyone but those people. Bigger. Better. Nerdier.

We would but we moved out the area right before what should have been her 10th. The logistics would be a nightmare. It isn't really that big of a deal at this point. It's just surprising that people would still be that shitty 30 years later.

Mosbonian
07-31-2016, 01:20 PM
My 40th was in 2014 and because of a job change that had me moving to SC at the same time, I didn't get to go.

I went to my 10th and more people knew my wife, who went to our rival school, than recognized me. But it was a great time! I haven't lived close enough to the KC area to go to any more reunions, and events in my life have also played a part in not being able to go.

I stay in touch with alot of my classmates via Facebook....and most of them are good people who are doing well for themselves. For my class of 300+ we have lost more than our share to cancer, suicides, traffic accidents, other terminal illnesses, and just getting older. It's a shame to see that list get a little longer each year. Most of my class have or will turn 60 this year....so i guess that is expected.

My HS years weren't that bad but then again i was a jock/geek hybrid to some extent. I wasn't in the popular crowd but had many friends. Funny how as the years go by and you get further from those HS years how all the "wrongs" you perceived were done to you in HS seem so petty and your grudges go away. I just never understood hanging on to that anger and frustration....

Chief Pagan
07-31-2016, 01:50 PM
I skipped all the ones up to the 20, went to the 20, and skipped the 25, even though I happened to already be in town.

Large class (500+). There was a small core of students I liked, but I mostly didn't like HS.

They asked for a show of hands of how many still lived inside of the school district and it seemed around half. Not expecting that. Sure, those that are still local are more likely to go to the reunion, but we are talking Johnson County here. Out of all the places in KC you might live, you end up within a couple of miles of the high school? Sheeish.

It was interesting to see how people turned out. There was one gal who still looked really hot after 20 years, but she was the exception. But walking around the reunion mostly just reminded me that I have nothing in common with these people and how many hours I spent in class bored out of my mind.

bevischief
07-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Screw them. There is a reason why you don't talk to them.

tecumseh
07-31-2016, 01:54 PM
I went to two high schools. Transferring to a new school my senior year. The school I came from was in an impovershed community and people would look at me weird when I told them were I transferred. Maybe 5 people from my first school I would be interested in having a beer with, not worth a H.S. reunion though. I tried facebook for about a month but I don't have the time and lost interest.

Chieficus
07-31-2016, 03:13 PM
Went to my 10th, graduated in a class of around 300. The 10th, spent most of it sitting with an old friend and my girlfriend, looking at people and saying, "Recognize them?"

Found out that I didn't get an invite to my 15th. The 20th is in two years, we'll see what I want to do come then.

oldman
07-31-2016, 03:53 PM
I went to my 10th, 20th, and 40th. My class was pretty large (600+), but everyone knew everyone and there weren't that many cliques. I was living out of town for the 10th and 20th, so there were quite a few people I hadn't seen for awhile and had a good time catching up. We're stung out from the Florida Keys to Seattle, with a couple living abroad. Now that we've moved back to the area, I see more of some my old friends. We've lost about a third of the class. My 50th is next year and I'll probably go.

Pitt Gorilla
07-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Went to 10th and 20th (graduating class of 70-80 kids). Both were fun, but the 20th was much better. We went to a classmate's house (in the HS town) and hung out with catered food and beer. It was outstanding.

RedandGold
07-31-2016, 08:03 PM
I went to the 10, not the 20, and will likely pass on the 25. Our class is pretty spread out all over the country, and the friendships that I had there didn't really carry past high school. My best friends at the time were actually from other schools, and we're still friends to this day.

I looked at the 10 as serving my duty, but if I haven't felt the need to talk with those people in the 15 years since then, it's a pretty good sign that I don't need to go out of my way to visit with them at a 25.

My wife and I were dating at the time of the 10, and she even agreed that the people in my class sucked. She's in no hurry to see them again either.

Rain Man
07-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Went to 10th and 20th (graduating class of 70-80 kids). Both were fun, but the 20th was much better. We went to a classmate's house (in the HS town) and hung out with catered food and beer. It was outstanding.

I guess the person's parents weren't home?

Chiefshrink
07-31-2016, 08:37 PM
I have not been to one yet because I took a page out of my beloved psychology professor's tips of wisdom for life. He said reunions aren't worth going to until you get into your late 50's early 60's. He said by that age usually life has humbled you enough whether rich or poor to realize that the most important thing in life is family and relationships. He said until then in most cases it is a big pissing contest of putting on appearances and it's all about "look at me now" and what I have accomplished, how much I make, what I own and my grandiose future plans. He said some if it is very true what they say about themselves but most of what they say is extremely exaggerated. He said, when folks are in their 20's,30's and 40's everyone's talking but no one is really listening because their narcissism is still to thick trying to prove and compete. He said by the time you get into your late 40's early 50's you realize something is wrong because life is still not satisfying enough and there must be more than how big your pecker is. And it is at that moment most people begin to realize that family and relationships are the most important. I plan to go to my first one when I will be 58 which will be 2020.

rico
07-31-2016, 09:14 PM
I saw my least favorite classmate the other day ... still hate him.

If he will be present at a reunion then I'm passing.

Man, I've got a weird story about my least favorite classmate.

He was a guy I was pretty good friends with from 2nd through 7th grade...spent the night at eachu other's houses and what-not all the time back then. From 8th grade on, we hated each other. Sprouted from a bunch of wrestling vs. basketball shit.

After high school, he let go of things between us, but was still so fucking arrogant. Just seethed with arrogance. And he kissed the right peoples' asses to be pretty successful by our mid twenties. I kept the grudge. If I don't like someone, I go out of my way to make sure they know it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't like that, for it can be petty at times. In person, I'm a very polite, nice guy, but if I don't like you (which is rare), I am probably one of the biggest pricks that I know of...

So this guy, last time I saw him was when I had just gotten off work. He (who like I said, had been trying to make things right since we graduated 15 years ago) approached me at a gas station and said, "what's up, rico? How are you." I looked at him eye to eye and said, "fuck off, (his name)." This was probably the 10th time we had an exchange like this since graduation.

1 week later he got into a one-person accident and was killed. He left behind a 4 year old son and a newborn daughter. I was mortified. I remembered our actual friendship from when we were younger, which made me sad, but mostly...his poor kids!!
The morning after it happened, I received like 5-6 phone calls from other people who hated him and I had to tell a couple of them, "look, if you are wanting to talk to someone who is happy about this, you have called the wrong person, for I am mortified. I am NOT happy this happened...AT ALL." It was so weird.

And this is a guy who you'd think would live until they were 90.

It really made me think about grudges...and how pointless it was to hold one against him over some petty JH and HS beef.

BucEyedPea
07-31-2016, 09:36 PM
I went to some on and off. First, fifth, then perhaps tenth and 20th. That's it.

tx4chiefs
08-01-2016, 05:50 AM
Been out almost 40 years. Never went to one.

88TG88
08-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I dont think we had a 10th year reunion because I never got a message.

or they didnt invite me

redfan
08-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Just missed my 30th because of prior plans; prolly wouldn't have gone anyway.
Went to the 20th, meh.
Most of the folks in my class (over 400) still live in the KC area, like me. After HS, I lost track of most, then facebook came around and I realized why.

redfan
08-01-2016, 10:07 AM
I might hit my 35th in a couple years. Last one I went to was my 20th and it sucked.

I had an amazing time is HS, I just don't care to re-live it that often
All of this, but my 20th didn't suck per se, it was just kinda B-movie cliche'. I loved HS, but like you said, people grow and move on.

Al Bundy
08-01-2016, 10:10 AM
I skipped my 20th reunion to go to a Buccaneers preseason game.

redfan
08-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Totally legit excuse, IMO. Despite preseason.

NWTF
08-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Never went to one. I remember my parents telling me about about one several years ago, must have been the 10 year. I think they ran into someone from my class or something. Its out of state so Id have to use vacation if I were to go to one. If I ever happen to be there visiting my folks at the same time of one I guess Id go, but I doubt I would ever plan a trip around a class reunion.

Rain Man
08-01-2016, 11:17 AM

Was it the first, second, third, or fourth preseason game? I could see it as a valid excuse for any, but more so if it's the first or third.

Pitt Gorilla
08-01-2016, 11:23 AM
I have not been to one yet because I took a page out of my beloved psychology professor's tips of wisdom for life. He said reunions aren't worth going to until you get into your late 50's early 60's. He said by that age usually life has humbled you enough whether rich or poor to realize that the most important thing in life is family and relationships. He said until then in most cases it is a big pissing contest of putting on appearances and it's all about "look at me now" and what I have accomplished, how much I make, what I own and my grandiose future plans. He said some if it is very true what they say about themselves but most of what they say is extremely exaggerated. He said, when folks are in their 20's,30's and 40's everyone's talking but no one is really listening because their narcissism is still to thick trying to prove and compete. He said by the time you get into your late 40's early 50's you realize something is wrong because life is still not satisfying enough and there must be more than how big your pecker is. And it is at that moment most people begin to realize that family and relationships are the most important. I plan to go to my first one when I will be 58 which will be 2020.That's garbage in my experience. We had a great time. Nobody was putting on appearances or worried about wealth etc. We sat around and enjoyed being together, more so than HS. I'm pretty sure most people didn't even realize who the wealthiest person there was as she was just one of the girls. We are all fatter, grey-er, as that's what happens as one approaches 40. We certainly didn't need to be another 18 years old for our time to be meaningful and enjoyable.

Pitt Gorilla
08-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Man, I've got a weird story about my least favorite classmate.

He was a guy I was pretty good friends with from 2nd through 7th grade...spent the night at eachu other's houses and what-not all the time back then. From 8th grade on, we hated each other. Sprouted from a bunch of wrestling vs. basketball shit.

After high school, he let go of things between us, but was still so ****ing arrogant. Just seethed with arrogance. And he kissed the right peoples' asses to be pretty successful by our mid twenties. I kept the grudge. If I don't like someone, I go out of my way to make sure they know it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't like that, for it can be petty at times. In person, I'm a very polite, nice guy, but if I don't like you (which is rare), I am probably one of the biggest pricks that I know of...

So this guy, last time I saw him was when I had just gotten off work. He (who like I said, had been trying to make things right since we graduated 15 years ago) approached me at a gas station and said, "what's up, rico? How are you." I looked at him eye to eye and said, "**** off, (his name)." This was probably the 10th time we had an exchange like this since graduation.

1 week later he got into a one-person accident and was killed. He left behind a 4 year old son and a newborn daughter. I was mortified. I remembered our actual friendship from when we were younger, which made me sad, but mostly...his poor kids!!
The morning after it happened, I received like 5-6 phone calls from other people who hated him and I had to tell a couple of them, "look, if you are wanting to talk to someone who is happy about this, you have called the wrong person, for I am mortified. I am NOT happy this happened...AT ALL." It was so weird.

And this is a guy who you'd think would live until they were 90.

It really made me think about grudges...and how pointless it was to hold one against him over some petty JH and HS beef.that's an incredibly powerful story. Good on you.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
My 10 year fell apart.

Social media era, and the organizers couldn't manage to keep the clubhouse reserved that they were supposed to reserve. So instead of having an actual event at The National, they send out a facebook message the week before saying they lost the slot and now they're just having people go bowling.

Dafuq?

I suspect there won't be any more reunions given that particular shit show, but if we ended up having a 20, I'd go. Why not? I was firmly situated in the high school 'upper middle class' where I was nominally well known in a class of 300. I didn't hate anybody and near as I could tell, nobody hated me. Most of our most popular kids weren't shitheels so it's not like I'm rooting for anyone to fail or anything. And I've done alright for myself so I'm not out to hide from anyone.

It might be fun, it might suck. Dunno, but it's not like it's any more commitment than a weekend so why the hell not?

KingPriest2
08-01-2016, 12:37 PM
I never went to any of mine, my 25 is coming up. :eek:

You going?

Our 5 year. I think Ryan? Put a informal one together they rode a bus around all the bars. They met at Clancys

Our 10 year. We met a Clancys on Friday night about 60 or so. It stormed that night Reason why I remember this was We played Rockhurst and the game got canceled. Played the night before 9/11 That Saturday night we had a big dinner down near the Plaza. Good time.

No 15

Our 20 year was interesting. We had 2 different ones. The first one we met at the pool hall on 7 Hwy about 50 showed up and then Saturday night a place on the plaza. About 80? People thought it could've been better so they organized another one. So homecoming we had about 10 aglow up and toured the high school and watched us play Lees Summit. The next night was the beer garden at the Fall Fun Fest. About 30?

This year is the 25th it's been brought up several times in the last year asking if we were having one. Someone just recently stood up and organized it. Meeting at a bar.

We had a class over 700

luv
08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
My 20-year was last year. I didn't go. I stayed in touch with those I wanted to stay in touch with. It's fun to bump into random people from time to time, but it's for a 2-minute glory days session and then you continue whatever it was you were doing. The people who went to my class reunion (you could practically follow the entire thing on Facebook) were not people I associated with much in high school anyway.

tooge
08-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Went to my 10 year. It was really just a bunch of the guys I ran around with and a few of the girls we ran after, going out for beers.

Went to my 2oth. It was about the same as high school. We all hung out in a hotel convention room, drank, danced, and jack assed around. If we didn't all look like we were pushing 40, you would've thought we were sophmores.

I hang with most buddies from high school some every year. At a bbq I see a couple, I golf with a couple here and there, etc. Many many more are friends on FB with me, so I keep up with them all really. So, I missed my 30th, which was last year. Looks like it was a fairly good time. Well, as good as it could be without me there, heh. I'll make my next one and see who all died off. We had a good class I suppose.

sedated
08-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Pretty much everything about HS died the day I graduated. I have some good memories, but life started in college.

C3HIEF3S
08-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Haven't had a HS reunion yet, but the subject crosses my mind periodically. My graduating class consisted of 70 kids. Everyone knew everyone to at least some degree. Unless my career takes me back to Illinois when I graduate college, I doubt I will go to any immediate reunions at least. The classmates that I have wanted to keep in touch with, I have on social media.

EDIT: On this note, as I now see, Sedated hits it on the head for me

Pretty much everything about HS died the day I graduated. I have some good memories, but life started in college.

Halfcan
08-01-2016, 04:23 PM
With social media-you see the same people from high school posting every day-does not make sense to go pay a bunch of money to hang out with them.

stevieray
08-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Went to my 30th..it was pretty fun, till one of my classmates got toasted and hit on my wife.

bobbymitch
08-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Nope. I went to 4 different grade schools, one middle school, and two different high schools, so meh.