PDA

View Full Version : Life Living in San Diego?

Shag
08-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Earlier today, I was presented with the option to relocate my job to San Diego (currently in Minneapolis). For those who live, or who have lived, in San Diego, what can you tell me about living there? I've been there a few times, and really enjoyed myself, but living there is a whole different thing.

I make a good living, but would only be getting a token cost of living adjustment (not quite 10%). I understand that housing, in particular, is crazy expensive, and I'd have to make some sacrifices there. I generally enjoy the outdoors, sports, beer, the beach. On the surface, SD is perfect, though I wouldn't know anyone there, or have an office to meet people (would be working out of my place).

So, for those who live, or have lived, in San Diego - thoughts? What do you like/hate about living in SD? Would you recommend others live there?

ThaVirus
08-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Anything has to be better than Minneapolis

SAUTO
08-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Why would you have to go to San Diego if you work out of your place?

Do you sell drugs?

SAUTO
08-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Are you an under pimp?

Randallflagg
08-02-2016, 08:34 PM
My company asked me to move to SD 5 years ago from KC. No big deal, I had been there many times - and my Son was stationed there, so my Wife and I sold the house and went. Let me put it this way - it's one thing to "visit" San Diego and another thing to "live" there. When I had the option of coming back to KC - We were thrilled to death. The Midwest and the West Coast are two completely different animals. I don't know. Had I lived there as a child (I lived in LA for 9 years when I was a young teen) it might have been different. As an "old" person - who has retired from the military AND a civilian occupation, it's just not for me. Great "touristy" place - but that's about the best I can give it. I'll take Kansas City any day of the week.

jspchief
08-02-2016, 08:35 PM
10% to go from midwest to SD? Fuck that.

RickObie
08-02-2016, 08:39 PM
It all comes down to money - this place is paradise if you can afford it. I'm originally from KC but been out here 30 years so I've certainly acclimated to so cal living. It's damn near perfect year round and you can always catch a Chiefs game when they play the Chargers. Royals play up in Anaheim yearly - crap town for sports but who cares, beach, great weather. Tough to beat.

Hamwallet
08-02-2016, 08:41 PM
I have lived on the coast a few times. It's all about your current financial situation. If you can buy a house and not eat like a hobo it's worth it. If you are in your 20's do it. You will not save a damn penny but if will be fun.

Buck
08-02-2016, 08:41 PM
You better be rich. Also better be okay with living in a busy, loud city.

I just moved away from SD and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the lack of noise.

Rain Man
08-02-2016, 08:44 PM
You should probably sit down and really understand your opinion of bikinis before you make this decision.

Shag
08-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Anything has to be better than Minneapolis

Dude, Minneapolis is a great town. Yeah, the weather isn't ideal, but otherwise, a great place to live.

Why would you have to go to San Diego if you work out of your place?

Do you sell drugs?

I'm in IT sales, so I'd be covering a territory, based out of my house. I'd be visiting customers around SoCal and AZ.

My company asked me to move to SD 5 years ago from KC. No big deal, I had been there many times - and my Son was stationed there, so my Wife and I sold the house and went. Let me put it this way - it's one thing to "visit" San Diego and another thing to "live" there. When I had the option of coming back to KC - We were thrilled to death. The Midwest and the West Coast are two completely different animals. I don't know. Had I lived there as a child (I lived in LA for 9 years when I was a young teen) it might have been different. As an "old" person - who has retired from the military AND a civilian occupation, it's just not for me. Great "touristy" place - but that's about the best I can give it. I'll take Kansas City any day of the week.

Why did you hate it? I was there about a month ago, rented a house in South Park, and tried to get a feel for what it would be like to live there. Seemed quite nice.

10% to go from midwest to SD? Fuck that.

Yeah, obviously not ideal, as far as a cost of living adjustment. That said, I make good money in Minneapolis, which would probably be middle/upper-middle class in SD.

Shag
08-02-2016, 08:54 PM
It all comes down to money - this place is paradise if you can afford it. I'm originally from KC but been out here 30 years so I've certainly acclimated to so cal living. It's damn near perfect year round and you can always catch a Chiefs game when they play the Chargers. Royals play up in Anaheim yearly - crap town for sports but who cares, beach, great weather. Tough to beat.

I'm a bit worried about the Chargers leaving town, as I'd definitely want to catch the Chiefs yearly. The weather is obviously a bit draw. I can definitely afford to live there, though my living arrangements would downgrade significantly. That said, I can be outside year round, which hopefully would offset that a bit.

I have lived on the coast a few times. It's all about your current financial situation. If you can buy a house and not eat like a hobo it's worth it. If you are in your 20's do it. You will not save a damn penny but if will be fun.

I'm 40, so definitely not in my 20's, lol. Have a fair amount of equity built over the years, and some savings to boot.

You better be rich. Also better be okay with living in a busy, loud city.

I just moved away from SD and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the lack of noise.

That wouldn't bother me. Minneapolis is the same size, though obviously less tourists.

You should probably sit down and really understand your opinion of bikinis before you make this decision.

I'm decidedly pro-bikini.

Hamwallet
08-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Married? Kids? I mean would a kid want to be raised in Minnesota or San Diego. It's a great place if you can afford it, and it sounds like you can. I managed to wear shorts and flip flops for an entire year while making good money on the coast. Winter sucks.

raybec 4
08-02-2016, 09:05 PM

You were a young teen for 9 years? You got that Benjamin Button disease?

Randallflagg
08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Dude, Minneapolis is a great town. Yeah, the weather isn't ideal, but otherwise, a great place to live.

I'm in IT sales, so I'd be covering a territory, based out of my house. I'd be visiting customers around SoCal and AZ.

Why did you hate it? I was there about a month ago, rented a house in South Park, and tried to get a feel for what it would be like to live there. Seemed quite nice.

Yeah, obviously not ideal, as far as a cost of living adjustment. That said, I make good money in Minneapolis, which would probably be middle/upper-middle class in SD.

Funny - my Wife is from St Paul and while It's "different", I would prefer it to Southern California. Can't say that I hated it - just didn't like it. $575K for less house than I paid $250K for in Olathe was a bummer and, quite frankly, I got sick to death of sunshine. And as a guy that grew up in Phoenix and LA - that's hard to say. I got used to the seasons in KC and learned to love them. The infrastructure of San Diego is horrendous. Went to a game at Qualcomm and it is (literally) falling down. Traffic is generally not too bad - but it can be a dog from time to time - and on the rare occasion it rains - it's katy -bar- the door with traffic. The proximity to the border wasn't my thing either. I lived in Eastlake (just South of San Diego proper) and my Son lived on Coronado Island.

Like I said - just wasn't my thing. I was glad the day it came time for me to "come home".

Rain Man
08-02-2016, 09:12 PM

Where in SoCal? I think that's key. I regularly go to Orange County and it's not bad in terms of traffic, but if I had to drive in Los Angeles regularly I think I would quickly go insane.

Rain Man
08-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Funny - my Wife is from St Paul and while It's "different", I would prefer it to Southern California. Can't say that I hated it - just didn't like it. $575K for less house than I paid $250K for in Olathe was a bummer and, quite frankly, I got sick to death of sunshine. And as a guy that grew up in Phoenix and LA - that's hard to say. I got used to the seasons in KC and learned to love them. The infrastructure of San Diego is horrendous. Went to a game at Qualcomm and it is (literally) falling down. Traffic is generally not too bad - but it can be a dog from time to time - and on the rare occasion it rains - it's katy -bar- the door with traffic. The proximity to the border wasn't my thing either. I lived in Eastlake (just South of San Diego proper) and my Son lived on Coronado Island.

Like I said - just wasn't my thing. I was glad the day it came time for me to "come home".

After living in south Texas for a couple of years, I too started missing seasons and cold weather. I'm not sure why, because year-round warm weather is nice, but I was glad to move to Denver and get some snow again.

On the housing side, a good friend of mine lives in San Diego. He's in a beautiful neighborhood, but his house cost roughly the same as mine in Denver and it's probably about 40 percent as large. That's kind of a downside.

But all in all, I don't think I would turn down a chance to live in San Diego. I don't know San Diego very well, but I could certainly live in Orange County for a couple of years and be happy. It doesn't mean a permanent commitment if you don't like it.

Randallflagg
08-02-2016, 09:15 PM
You were a young teen for 9 years? You got that Benjamin Button disease?

Yeah, my bad. My Old Man retired from the Air Force and we moved to LA for 9 years from age 11 on.

On a lighter note - I got to work in some of the better known studios on the Strip - got to meet a few legends. Had my folks known the shit that went on in those days - they would have strangled me dead.

I don't know - maybe they DID know. They seemed genuinely relived when I joined the Army and left the "LA Scene" behind me.....and headed for Fort Benning then Viet Nam. :)

Rain Man
08-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Yeah, my bad. My Old Man retired from the Air Force and we moved to LA for 9 years from age 11 on.

On a lighter note - I got to work in some of the better known studios on the Strip - got to meet a few legends. Had my folks known the shit that went on in those days - they would have strangled me dead.

I don't know - maybe they DID know. They seemed genuinely relived when I joined the Army and left the "LA Scene" behind me.....and headed for Fort Benning then Viet Nam. :)

Yeah, because what kind of trouble could a person possibly get into in Vietnam?

Randallflagg
08-02-2016, 09:21 PM
After living in south Texas for a couple of years, I too started missing seasons and cold weather. I'm not sure why, because year-round warm weather is nice, but I was glad to move to Denver and get some snow again.

On the housing side, a good friend of mine lives in San Diego. He's in a beautiful neighborhood, but his house cost roughly the same as mine in Denver and it's probably about 40 percent as large. That's kind of a downside.

But all in all, I don't think I would turn down a chance to live in San Diego. I don't know San Diego very well, but I could certainly live in Orange County for a couple of years and be happy. It doesn't mean a permanent commitment if you don't like it.

Never lived in South Texas, but I did live in Central Texas for a couple of years (Fort Hood).

Look, the summers in KC can be (and usually are) brutal. But for me - when Fall hits, it's all good! That was my biggest gripe about San Diego. Yes, the weather is wonderful but Jesus - it gets boring after a while. And, unless you are a complete beach bum - it gets old quick. I've taken the whale watching tours, the harbor tour, the whole 9 yards and still - I prefer KC.

Randallflagg
08-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah, because what kind of trouble could a person possibly get into in Vietnam?

:)

Still got a piece of Chinese shrapnel from a RPG floating around in my thigh....

However, in MY family, you served. I'd rather take my chances with the Viet Cong than an old Colonel (my Father) :)

Shag
08-02-2016, 09:26 PM

Fair enough. Housing costs are probably the biggest downside to SoCal, but I like being outside enough that it would hopefully not be a big issue. Would definitely be an adjustment, though. It's a balancing act, I suppose - perfect weather and high housing costs, vs long winters and lower costs.

Shag
08-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Where in SoCal? I think that's key. I regularly go to Orange County and it's not bad in terms of traffic, but if I had to drive in Los Angeles regularly I think I would quickly go insane.

Would be both the SD and LA areas, so I would likely be driving into LA somewhat regularly, though I imagine it would only be a few times a month.

Kiimo
08-02-2016, 09:49 PM
San Diego is ridiculously awesome don't be a fool. Ocean Beach is perfection.

Also in two years traffic won't even bother you.

Baby Lee
08-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Buck noze ghey barz!!

Pack your boas.

ModSocks
08-02-2016, 10:21 PM
I've lived here in SD most of my life. It's expensive. I often get jealous seeing other people pay less money for nicer homes.

If you're adventurous then you'll like it. If you're a homebody then maybe just stay in KC because you won't be getting what you're paying for. Imo, SD's best asset is its proximity to pretty much everything you'd ever want to do on any given weekend, and there's always an abundance of events to attend that are free and great for kids, family etc.

If all you're gonna do is work and stay at home, then the weather isn't worth paying for.

Simply Red
08-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Minneapolis is fine guys.

Demonpenz
08-03-2016, 02:16 AM
Anything to get away from winter and the heat of summer. Especially if you are prone to deep depression. Lots of people kill themselves because of the weather in the midwest.

eDave
08-03-2016, 02:20 AM
If you want to live in nice places, you gotta pay for it. SD is a nice place. I'd go Carlsbad or something though if you are commuting into LA too. Personally, I'd get as close to the beach as possible. You can do that, renting, for about $2500.

Life change for sure.

Ecto-I
08-03-2016, 03:00 AM
I've lived in San Diego for 10 years and I think it's the best place I've lived (I'm 32 and have lived in KC, Anchorage, and San Luis Obispo). I also travel quite a bit for work but am excited to come back to this amazing city every time.

Cost of living isn't like SF or NYC but still fairly high. I'm actually looking at buying my first place right now. It's doable - just depends on your preference (condo vs house) and proximity to things like downtown and/or the beach.

But I would always recommend moving here.

Coochie liquor
08-03-2016, 04:16 AM
I lived in Mn for a year and I hated it severely. Getting out of there and to Florida was the best move I ever made.

scho63
08-03-2016, 04:50 AM

Now if you could live in Arizona or Nevada instead of So Cal, it might be worth it but you will get 1/4 of the house for 4x's the price in San Diego.

San Diego is gorgeous but you better do your home work on your living arrangements FIRST

Dartgod
08-03-2016, 06:22 AM

You're talking about Dane, aren't you?

Coyote
08-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Would be both the SD and LA areas, so I would likely be driving into LA somewhat regularly, though I imagine it would only be a few times a month.

Didn't see if you have kids but if so schools are a major issue. Given the above, try either side of Campen and get the coast side of I-5-if you can afford it. I prefer Carlsbad and lean to San Diego vice San Clemente/Orange County. An option may be taking the train to LA-depending upon where you're going/ how often to LA-and focusing on South of Camp Pendleton. Campen is the only thing preventing San Diego/North County from becoming another LA suburb. I dealt with non-stop encroachment on MCAS Miramar (El Toro and Tustin before Miramar) and MCB Camp Pendleton as the towns/developers covet that prime real estate.The sale of MCAS El Toro funded all other Dept. of the Navy base closings/movements so land is not cheap out there.

displacedinMN
08-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Shag, why would you want to leave this great place?

Today 90F and 70f dew point feels like 106.
Winter -20 with a 20mph wind feels like -45.
Mark Dayton
Traffic congestion
Great drivers
BLM
Wayzata people
Packer Fans

Kiimo
08-03-2016, 07:57 AM
By the way when that stadium in Gaslamp gets approved eventually games in downtown vs the Chiefs will be outstanding.

Don't listen to people who think it will never happen, it will.

Shag
08-03-2016, 08:25 AM
I've lived here in SD most of my life. It's expensive. I often get jealous seeing other people pay less money for nicer homes.

If you're adventurous then you'll like it. If you're a homebody then maybe just stay in KC because you won't be getting what you're paying for. Imo, SD's best asset is its proximity to pretty much everything you'd ever want to do on any given weekend, and there's always an abundance of events to attend that are free and great for kids, family etc.

If all you're gonna do is work and stay at home, then the weather isn't worth paying for.

Thanks. I like to get out an do things, which is one of the draws of CA for me - that everything I could want to do is fairly close, even snowboarding.

If you want to live in nice places, you gotta pay for it. SD is a nice place. I'd go Carlsbad or something though if you are commuting into LA too. Personally, I'd get as close to the beach as possible. You can do that, renting, for about $2500.

Carlsbad is a possibility, also like Encinitas. I figured even at $2500, I wouldn't be super close to the beach. Initially, I'm thinking either downtown, the areas around balboa, or going north county as near the beach as possible. Trying to avoid being too far in the middle of nowhere, as I'll be going there solo.

Now if you could live in Arizona or Nevada instead of So Cal, it might be worth it but you will get 1/4 of the house for 4x's the price in San Diego.

Don't think I want to deal with AZ summers at this point - that would be similar to MN, just reversed. I want to be outdoors and comfortable year round.

Didn't see if you have kids but if so schools are a major issue. Given the above, try either side of Campen and get the coast side of I-5-if you can afford it. I prefer Carlsbad and lean to San Diego vice San Clemente/Orange County. An option may be taking the train to LA-depending upon where you're going/ how often to LA-and focusing on South of Camp Pendleton. Campen is the only thing preventing San Diego/North County from becoming another LA suburb. I dealt with non-stop encroachment on MCAS Miramar (El Toro and Tustin before Miramar) and MCB Camp Pendleton as the towns/developers covet that prime real estate.The sale of MCAS El Toro funded all other Dept. of the Navy base closings/movements so land is not cheap out there.

Thanks. Not sure I want to be that far north, as I'm going out there solo (so schools are not an issue), and want to be close to some action, at least. Would love to get west of the 5, but might be out of budget, unfortunately. I'll check out the trains to LA - thanks.

Shag, why would you want to leave this great place?

Today 90F and 70f dew point feels like 106.
Winter -20 with a 20mph wind feels like -45.
Mark Dayton
Traffic congestion
Great drivers
BLM
Wayzata people

lol, the top 2 are two of the major factors in this potential move - my old bones don't like the cold much any more.

By the way when that stadium in Gaslamp gets approved eventually games in downtown vs the Chiefs will be outstanding.

Don't listen to people who think it will never happen, it will.

I hope that's the case - I'd be really bummed if I moved to SD, and the chargers skipped town. Petco is awesome, and having a football stadium down there would be pretty fantastic for catching a Chiefs game every year. Most things I read seem to indicate that it's not expected to pass, though...

Randallflagg
08-03-2016, 10:14 AM
You're talking about Dane, aren't you?

Didn't meet the great one - however, met the guys from Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, The Monkees, Dave Clark 5, The Doors, etc etc etc..

Believe it or not - most were just down to earth guys...with the possible exception of Jim Morrison. That was one weird monkey.

Rain Man
08-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Didn't meet the great one - however, met the guys from Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, The Monkees, Dave Clark 5, The Doors, etc etc etc..

Believe it or not - most were just down to earth guys...with the possible exception of Jim Morrison. That was one weird monkey.

You met Mike Nesmith? His mom invented whiteout!

Ming the Merciless
08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Pull the trigger Imo. There's really not too many places better. Do this shit.

Lzen
08-03-2016, 10:47 AM
I think I would love the San Diego but would hate the politics/gov't. For me, Kalifornia is a no go.

Rain Man
08-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I think I would love the San Diego but would hate the politics/gov't. For me, Kalifornia is a no go.

I think the city itself is kind of middle of the road, isn't it? I could be wrong, but that's always been my impression.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 10:59 AM

San Diego is generally viewed as a conservative city when it comes down to politics. We generally vote conservatives into local office.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Carlsbad is a possibility, also like Encinitas. I figured even at $2500, I wouldn't be super close to the beach. Initially, I'm thinking either downtown, the areas around balboa, or going north county as near the beach as possible. Trying to avoid being too far in the middle of nowhere, as I'll be going there solo.

San Diego is divided into 4 sections.....and all 4 are very different lifestyles. North, South, Central and East County.

Carlsbad/Encinitas/Oceanside etc are all considered North County. Everything north of Del Mar essentially is North County. I grew up in Oceanside/Carlsbad and have been living in the main city (Central) for the last 10-15 years.

Very, very different lifestyles. So if you have a way of life in mind, make sure you pick the right location because each town in the county has its own unique vibe.

If you're after that beach-bum, relaxation type of life where you wake up and smell the ocean, then you need a spot in North County. Central San Diego (Downtown, Balboa Park etc) is very much like living in the big city. It doesn't smell like ocean, it's packed full of people and mostly business oriented. The people are different. I can't explain it, but they're just different.

So let me help, since i've lived all over this county all my life.

Oceanside: Pure beach city. Wake up and smell the ocean. Tons of nightlife in its downtown area. Heavy, heavy military city since it neighbors Camp Pendelton. Its more of a younger, party type scene considering so many young marines go there to get off base. Probably the best beach/party scene in the entire county.

Carlsbad: Neighbors just south of Oceanside. More upscale than Oceanside. Like Oceanside, its beach is glorious. But unlike Oceanside, it draws a more mature crowd. Its nightlife is alive but it's not so much the party scene that Oceanside is. Very nice beach town and not too expensive.

Encinitas: Very nice beach front similar to Carlsbad, more affluent area than Carlsbad. Similar to Carlsbad but generally viewed as a little more upscale.

Cardiff: Meh. It's always kinda just melted into Encinitas in my mind. More of the same.

Then you get into Del Mar, La Jolla etc. Affluent areas. Gorgeous views and great beaches, San Diego's upscale living at its finest.

Pacific Beach: People love Pacific beach. Not me though, lol. It's party scene for sure. Most believe it is THE party scene in San Diego. Sure, it's on the beach. But to me it doesn't feel like the beach. It feels like the city.....but with a beach, while Oceanside actually feels like a beach town.

Mission Bay: I havent spent much time there, tbh. Feels like Pacific Beach Lite...

Then you get into Central San Diego. At this point, you're living in the city. Feels like it too. Lacks that beach town charm. It's nice, new, modern and the Gaslamp quarter is pretty much Pussy heaven on week end nights.

Coronado: A very nice Island. Affluent. More of a retirement community than anything.

As you continue to move south you'll hit National City, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, San Ysidro. I generally dislike these towns. It's not like Central San Diego living, but its more crowded than North County and the beach front is non-existent or small and shitty.

There's a lot of towns that i didn't mention, including East County stuff and a lot of the SE and NE stuff as well. I doubt you'd be interested in those areas.

Avoid: San Ysidro, National City, Vista, Escondido, El Cajon & parts of Chula Vista, San Marcos, SE Central San Diego.... If you find a home and are curious about the neighborhood it's in, holla at me and I'll fill you in. I know this county like the back of my hand.

PunkinDrublic
08-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Was stationed in SD for 4 years in the Navy. SD is a big transplant town due to being a military city. It was a great place to send my early 20s. I'd move out there in a heartbeat if the money was right. Being broke all the time from the cost of living expenses is no fun. Even in Cali.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Oh and btw, with $2500 you'll be closer to the beach than you think. SD is expensive but not THAT expensive.

Kiimo
08-03-2016, 11:35 AM
I hope that's the case - I'd be really bummed if I moved to SD, and the chargers skipped town. Petco is awesome, and having a football stadium down there would be pretty fantastic for catching a Chiefs game every year. Most things I read seem to indicate that it's not expected to pass, though...

Oh it won't pass the first time. This vote is a testing of the waters, so to speak. It's after that when they re-work it that it will pass. The people of San Diego want a stadium down there, they also want to punish Spanos first. But it will get done, they absolutely will not go to Inglewood and be Kroenke's bitch.

I snowboard in Big Bear and Mammoth all the time. I live in LA and everything you want is a two hour drive. Mountains. Deserts. Wine country. Beach country. Camping. Hiking. Joshua Tree. Mexico. Oktoberfest in the fall. It's all right there, look up google images of Temecula.

What an insanely stupid ignorant statement. Here's some news: Kansas has the second worst politics in the country and yet nobody has a real problem living there. San Diego is moderate, just like me. Free from Tea Party stupidity and free from raging liberal stupidity. "Kalifornia"? Give me a f-ing break with that nonsense.

AustinChief
08-03-2016, 11:48 AM
San Diego is divided into 4 sections.....and all 4 are very different lifestyles. North, South, Central and East County.

Carlsbad/Encinitas/Oceanside etc are all considered North County. Everything north of Del Mar essentially is North County. I grew up in Oceanside/Carlsbad and have been living in the main city (Central) for the last 10-15 years.

Very, very different lifestyles. So if you have a way of life in mind, make sure you pick the right location because each town in the county has its own unique vibe.

If you're after that beach-bum, relaxation type of life where you wake up and smell the ocean, then you need a spot in North County. Central San Diego (Downtown, Balboa Park etc) is very much like living in the big city. It doesn't smell like ocean, it's packed full of people and mostly business oriented. The people are different. I can't explain it, but they're just different.

Oceanside: Pure beach city. Wake up and smell the ocean. Tons of nightlife in its downtown area. Heavy, heavy military city since it neighbors Camp Pendelton. Its more of a younger, party type scene considering so many young marines go there to get off base. Probably the best beach/party scene in the entire county.

Carlsbad: Neighbors just south of Oceanside. More upscale than Oceanside. Like Oceanside, its beach is glorious. But unlike Oceanside, it draws a more mature crowd. Its nightlife is alive but it's not so much the party scene that Oceanside is. Very nice beach town and not too expensive.

Encinitas: Very nice beach front similar to Carlsbad, more affluent area than Carlsbad. Similar to Carlsbad but generally viewed as a little more upscale.

Cardiff: Meh. It's always kinda just melted into Encinitas in my mind. More of the same.

Then you get into Del Mar, La Jolla etc. Affluent areas. Gorgeous views and great beaches, San Diego's upscale living at its finest.

Pacific Beach: People love Pacific beach. Not me though, lol. It's party scene for sure. Most believe it is THE party scene in San Diego. Sure, it's on the beach. But to me it doesn't feel like the beach. It feels like the city.....but with a beach, while Oceanside actually feels like a beach town.

Mission Bay: I havent spent much time there, tbh. Feels like Pacific Beach Lite...

Then you get into Central San Diego. At this point, you're living in the city. Feels like it too. Lacks that beach town charm. It's nice, new, modern and the Gaslamp quarter is pretty much Pussy heaven on week end nights.

Coronado: A very nice Island. Affluent. More of a retirement community than anything.

As you continue to move south you'll hit National City, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, San Ysidro. I generally dislike these towns. It's not like Central San Diego living, but its more crowded than North County and the beach front is non-existent or small and shitty.

There's a lot of towns that i didn't mention, including East County stuff and a lot of the SE and NE stuff as well. I doubt you'd be interested in those areas.

Avoid: San Ysidro, National City, Vista, Escondido, El Cajon & parts of Chula Vista, San Marcos, SE Central San Diego.... If you find a home and are curious about the neighborhood it's in, holla at me and I'll fill you in. I know this county like the back of my hand.

What about Ocean Beach?

I was in Carlsbad for awhile and it was too far out for my tastes. I REALLY didn't like Oceanside.. the combination of military city with being even further than Carlsbad didn't work for me.

Why Not?
08-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Personally, Ocean Beach is a top 3 place to hang out in America. Love that area

Kiimo
08-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I have an ex who lives in Ocean Beach and went to visit a couple times. I sat in a beach bar (mostly empty) on a Sunday and watched the Chiefs/Chargers and drank insane margaritas straight from heaven.

Man what a beautiful memory. That place is great. So chill and fun. They have a dog beach and that is the life. That whole area around Sea World with all the open fields that is protected land that goes into Mission Bay is super awesome too. It's a family picnic/volleyball waiting to happen. Imagine Loose Park and remove the humidity, mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks and crime and sub a giant blue ocean.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 12:16 PM
What about Ocean Beach?

I was in Carlsbad for awhile and it was too far out for my tastes. I REALLY didn't like Oceanside.. the combination of military city with being even further than Carlsbad didn't work for me.

Bah i can't believe i forgot about Ocean Beach. Best beach town outside of the North County stuff imo. Easily the best beach in Central/Southern. Coronado is great too, but Ocean Beach is more accessible in terms of parking and variety.

Shag
08-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Great stuff here - thanks! Much like AustinChief, I didn't much care for Oceanside. Carlsbad seemed much better for my likes, but a bit worried at the distance to the city. I honestly think I'd enjoy both a beach town and city living, so I'm pretty open to both. A condo in the city might be a slight problem with my dog, but imagine I could find something.

What do you think of Clairemont? Seems like a very central location, but might be able to get a half decent house there. Can't imagine I'll even consider buying until I'm there at least a year, to get a better feel for the place.

Oh and btw, with $2500 you'll be closer to the beach than you think. SD is expensive but not THAT expensive.

Since the $2500 number is out there, what do you suggest? Can I get a nice condo in the city for that? Can I rent a house in a beach town? I'm still on the front end of the specifics of housing.

What about Ocean Beach?

I'm with you on both fronts. OB is a pretty cool place, though pretty grungy/hippy. Oh, and Pizza Port OB is one of my favorite places.

sd4chiefs
08-03-2016, 12:29 PM
I moved to San Diego in 96 after growing up and living in Kansas City for 40 years. I love it here and have no regrets leaving my home town. The cost of living sucks but we have managed. You need to go to Zillow and look at the cost of housing but make sure you have a bucket or something to throw up in. If you are looking for a place to live try to find something within 4 miles of the ocean where it is cooler. My Wife and I live in the 92130 zip code area. It is very nice but we could not afford to buy a house here at the insane prices they are now.

Shag
08-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Oh it won't pass the first time. This vote is a testing of the waters, so to speak. It's after that when they re-work it that it will pass. The people of San Diego want a stadium down there, they also want to punish Spanos first. But it will get done, they absolutely will not go to Inglewood and be Kroenke's bitch.

I snowboard in Big Bear and Mammoth all the time. I live in LA and everything you want is a two hour drive. Mountains. Deserts. Wine country. Beach country. Camping. Hiking. Joshua Tree. Mexico. Oktoberfest in the fall. It's all right there, look up google images of Temecula.

Good to know - hope you're right! How's the boarding at Big Bear? I hear Mammoth is amazing, but that's quite a haul from SD.

The other stuff is one of my biggest draws - I enjoy doing all those things, and I can do most of them year round. Tired of being a prisoner in my house all winter, lol.

Kiimo
08-03-2016, 12:42 PM
You can fly to Mammoth for like a hundred bucks they have deals all the time.

Boarding in Big Bear is hit or miss, it will snow a foot and that day is beautiful and then it will melt a day later and it sucks. The drive to Big Bear is really windy (like wind a clock, winding?) and the drive to Mammoth is straight as an arrow. It's easier.

It isn't so far to Lake Tahoe and other places either. The Oktoberfest at Big Bear before it snows is super fun, I go every year. The days are 70 and the nights are low of around 30 and that's a nice break. Drinking and stein-holding contests and family atmosphere and log-sawing and dancing and games all day. Then at night it is down to nearly freezing which is perfect hot tub weather. Can't recommend it enough.

Oh and Tahoe and Mammoth have huge snowmobiling tours and rentals. You might be into that if you're from Minnesota.

Lzen
08-03-2016, 01:04 PM

What an insanely stupid ignorant statement. Here's some news: Kansas has the second worst politics in the country and yet nobody has a real problem living there. San Diego is moderate, just like me. Free from Tea Party stupidity and free from raging liberal stupidity. "Kalifornia"? Give me a f-ing break with that nonsense.

Kalifornia is slowly eroding your rights. Just look at the recent gun laws the enacted. I wasn't speaking specifically of San Diego because you're right in that I don't know what their politics are in that city. But the state in general is always in the news, especially when it comes to gun rights. Not to mention the high taxes and high cost of living.

Kiimo
08-03-2016, 01:06 PM
I don't like guns.

So good.

Lzen
08-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Oh and one more thing. How exactly does a state get rated on politics? I'm certainly no fan of our current governor but I'll bet you we have more freedom than your state.

Lzen
08-03-2016, 01:10 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/lists/freest-least-free-states/california.html?state=play

http://freedominthe50states.org/

DaneMcCloud
08-03-2016, 01:12 PM
But the state in general is always in the news, especially when it comes to gun rights.

Of course, you do realize that the overwhelming majority of the population voted for the politicians that enacted the new gun laws, right?

Not to mention the high taxes and high cost of living.

Yet 40 million people live in this state and the population is continually growing.

Coyote
08-03-2016, 01:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI9U73Y6Jk

Found a place for you...
I would recommend avoiding the I 15 side for living/ San Diego life but it may help as a backdoor to LA and SD as well as the Big Bear/ Mammoth or Vegas runs. Hell some folks punch out to Julian or Borrego Springs. You can get to the Dunes at Glamis or over to the Colorado River for that stuff as well. Everybody prioritizes differently. I preferred to just drive/ride the extra bit and live near the beach. But I also used to surf pretty much every morning before work off Carlsbad or San Onofre, when I was home. Visibility stinks for diving for the most part though but otherwise you have a bunch of options. Which partially explains the relatively low turnout for Chargers.

DaneMcCloud
08-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Oh and one more thing. How exactly does a state get rated on politics? I'm certainly no fan of our current governor but I'll bet you we have more freedom than your state.
More "freedom"? To do what, exactly?

sd4chiefs
08-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Personally, Ocean Beach is a top 3 place to hang out in America. Love that area

If you like hanging out with hippy surfer dudes and living in an expensive small house then Ocean Beach is great.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Ocean-Beach-San-Diego-CA/pmf,pf_pt/16961854_zpid/117021_rid/32.755808,-117.233713,32.737941,-117.271908_rect/14_zm/

displacedinMN
08-03-2016, 01:29 PM
If you like hanging out with hippy surfer dudes and living in an expensive small house then Ocean Beach is great.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Ocean-Beach-San-Diego-CA/pmf,pf_pt/16961854_zpid/117021_rid/32.755808,-117.233713,32.737941,-117.271908_rect/14_zm/

Ocean Beach is beautiful. But that price is insane. I have heard stories about that area
The one thing in that listing that is a red flag

Last sold: Jun 2016 for $1,033,000

sd4chiefs
08-03-2016, 01:47 PM
The state tax here is sky high but a least they are putting it to good use like building the bullet train. :Lin:

Rain Man
08-03-2016, 01:52 PM
The state tax here is sky high but a least they are putting it to good use like building the bullet train. :Lin:

I like bullet trains. What's wrong with a bullet train?

BryanBusby
08-03-2016, 02:06 PM
More "freedom"? To do what, exactly?
Make Crystal Meth in a bathtub?

Rain Man
08-03-2016, 02:11 PM
To me, freedom is riding a bullet train.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Great stuff here - thanks! Much like AustinChief, I didn't much care for Oceanside. Carlsbad seemed much better for my likes, but a bit worried at the distance to the city. I honestly think I'd enjoy both a beach town and city living, so I'm pretty open to both. A condo in the city might be a slight problem with my dog, but imagine I could find something.

What do you think of Clairemont? Seems like a very central location, but might be able to get a half decent house there. Can't imagine I'll even consider buying until I'm there at least a year, to get a better feel for the place.

Since the $2500 number is out there, what do you suggest? Can I get a nice condo in the city for that? Can I rent a house in a beach town? I'm still on the front end of the specifics of housing.

I like Clairemont a lot actually. Clairemont, Kearny Mesa, Serra Mesa and Terrasanta are all similar communities all in the same region. The housing is a bit on the older side but the communities are generally nice & quiet, the homes are good sized and well priced. Those communities are free from violence and BS for the most part. You never here about the communities in the news. Because they're not right on the coast or near Downtown it's much more affordable.

They're close enough to everything as well. Right down the hill is Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, Qualcomm Stadium etc. 5 more minutes west and you're right at the beaches. It's not going to feel like a coastal home because it's not, but the coast is just 5-10 minutes away.

And your $2500 will get you into any community, it just may not be right on the beach.

Also consider Bankers Hill, Mission Hills, Kensington and Hillcrest. Though you'll find better deals in Clairemont. As you start moving towards Northpark and further east, the communities get worse and homes get smaller. Avoid City Heights, University City, College (SDSU area), Normal Heights, Logan & South Crest like the plague. Bad, bad news for the most part.

If you decide to go south of central SD, Chula Vista has some nice affordable homes, and eastern Chula Vista (known as Eastlake) has a lot of new homes and very nice communities.

In Chula Vista i was able to score a 3-bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage w/ front and rear yard, 1750SQ FT for $1,750 a month in a nice, quiet community.

Poway, Carmel Valley, Rancho Penasquitos and Mira Mesa are generally very very nice communities but most of the housing there is newer, so expect to pay more than you would in Clairemont.

ModSocks
08-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I live in Golden Hill/South Park, which is right across from the Zoo. South Park is very, very nice but not what i would call affordable. Golden hill is more affordable than South Park but even then....it's hella expensive, not what i would consider a "value" neighborhood due to our proximity to Downtown SD. The homes are small and expensive compared to Clairemont.

lewdog
08-03-2016, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't OP.

Hard to leave the Timberwolves where you're at.

stumppy
08-03-2016, 09:21 PM
My family moved to the San Diego are when I was 4 yrs old. That was back in the 60s. I still have some memories of living there.
Let's see........the first one that always pops to mind is any trip to the beach required me to walk from the parking lot, across the street, down the sidewalk and then finally the beach. Unfortunately, nine times out of ten my shoes were not brought along. Burnt the hell out of my feet every damn time. Almost ran right out in front of a car after breaking loose of moms grasp and making a bee line for the beach.
Thats strike one San Diego.

Shag
08-04-2016, 06:34 AM
How often are Chiefs games televised in SD? Would prefer to not re-up my ST sub, as I'd like to cut the cord.