PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger article on John Dorsey and Justin Houston

O.city
08-05-2016, 02:11 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article93976417.html

Not sure how to take the Houston stuff

Rausch
08-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Why did my browser crash 3 times trying to read this?

Rausch
08-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Not a fucking thing of meaning was said...

O.city
08-05-2016, 02:17 PM
From what I can tell, Mellinger is trying to make something there. I dunno if there is or not.

O.city
08-05-2016, 02:17 PM
What was the deal with poe last year? Did he practice any at camp?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2016, 02:20 PM
That doesn't sound promising

Rausch
08-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Dorsey managing contracts with big names = fail.

He should have paid Houston as soon as he was a FA and we would have saved money.

Now he's telling an established All-Pro to "prove it."

UM, dipshit, he's an all pro. He will. And it will cost you more next year...

O.city
08-05-2016, 02:24 PM

He should have paid Houston as soon as he was a FA and we would have saved money.

Berry?

Halfcan
08-05-2016, 02:32 PM

Yep not at all.

Makes you wonder if the Chiefs curse of signing D Linemen to fat contracts and watching them retire is going to continue.

Dan Williams, Chester Mcglockton, Ryan Sims now Houston.

At this point there is no way the Chiefs will get full value out of that contract. Chiefs will have to go deep into the playoffs the next few years with Houston spearheading that success, while he wins back to back Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Dorsey really bungled this one. :rolleyes:

Easy 6
08-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Sounds to me like he is trying to break the tough news as gently as possible

Damn good thing the D line is stacked, they'll have to pick up a lot of the pass rush slack for quite a while it seems

Dante84
08-05-2016, 02:53 PM
kontrol Vee / kontrol Cee

Lzen
08-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Yep not at all.

Makes you wonder if the Chiefs curse of signing D Linemen to fat contracts and watching them retire is going to continue.

At this point there is no way the Chiefs will get full value out of that contract. Chiefs will have to go deep into the playoffs the next few years with Houston spearheading that success, while he wins back to back Defensive Player of the Year honors.

WTF, man? You just compared Houston to a one year wonder, a lazy player with a ton of talent that was never fully realized, and a draft bust. Houston has proven his worth with this team over multiple years.

Rain Man
08-05-2016, 03:05 PM
The article used a Madden game as research? Next week they'll report that the Chiefs should line up 11 cornerbacks on offense and run a quarterback sneak on every play because it works on Madden.

Lzen
08-05-2016, 03:09 PM
The article used a Madden game as research? Next week they'll report that the Chiefs should line up 11 cornerbacks on offense and run a quarterback sneak on every play because it works on Madden.

ROFL

DJ's left nut
08-05-2016, 03:11 PM

Michael Vick is still available.

Shotgun, 5-wide all flies and QB scramble FTMFW....

O.city
08-05-2016, 03:13 PM
I guess we're gonna have to wait for one of the bigger media guys to come to camp to get an idea on the guys not practicing.

staylor26
08-05-2016, 03:14 PM
From what I can tell, Mellinger is trying to make something there. I dunno if there is or not.

I can't lie, this is concerning, but Mellinger absolutely has been trying to make something there from the beginning when all of this happened, so it's hard to tell.

I just can't see Houston missing the entire season. That would be a very strange outcome these days.

Dorsey did say he thought Mellinger was reading too much into it when asked.

And then there's this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JHouston50/status/713002106517647360

O.city
08-05-2016, 03:20 PM
They've just been really weird about the whole thing. I'm wondering if it's more than they're letting on

Red Dawg
08-05-2016, 03:24 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. Houston will not play until Nov of Dec if at all. The notion he will be 100% and going all out after our bye for game 5 doesn't seem likely. 12 Aug is six months of a 6-12 process.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Mellinger is a decent baseball columnist but his football takes just outright fucking suck.

His football knowledge is -273.

staylor26
08-05-2016, 03:27 PM
To answer your question about Poe, he didn't practice till after we broke camp and it came out of nowhere. As far as I remember nobody saw it coming, and expected him to be out at least a few weeks. The way they broke the news and the things they said were not very optimistic.

That's why I was so confident about Houston. They were optimistic very early in the process. The way Dorsey talked now is what I would've expected then with the timetable being what it was. Instead, Dorsey just came right out and said he'll play in 2015. Why would he do that if it weren't a sure thing? It is very strange that he's changed his tune now though. That's for sure.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2016, 03:31 PM
I just read the article. What a pile of slop.

In this article, he says "this is the best Chiefs team in quite a while" yet last week, he said this team "feels like 8-8".

He's a fucking bozo.

O.city
08-05-2016, 03:52 PM
He can't change his opinion after seeing them in camp?

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2016, 04:10 PM
He can't change his opinion after seeing them in camp?

He's been stating all year long that the Chiefs have had a terrible offseason and they looked like a 7-9 to 8-8 team. It wasn't just last week, it's been all year.

No one with a fucking brain in their head would look at an 11-5, 9-7, 12-5 team with an 11 win streak, including a playoff game, and look at this team to regress because they lost Sean Smith.

His football takes suck ass.

staylor26
08-05-2016, 04:13 PM
He's been stating all year long that the Chiefs have had a terrible offseason and they looked like a 7-9 to 8-8 team. It wasn't just last week, it's been all year.

No one with a ****ing brain in their head would look at an 11-5, 9-7, 12-5 team with an 11 win streak, including a playoff game, and look at this team to regress because they lost Sean Smith.

He's definitely a ****ing idiot.

Does the Houston part concern you though?

DJ's left nut
08-05-2016, 04:14 PM

No one with a fucking brain in their head would look at an 11-5, 9-7, 12-5 team with an 11 win streak, including a playoff game, and look at this team to regress because they lost Sean Smith.

He's still better than that Reid clown that we brought over from the Vikings beat.

What a schlub that guy was...

BossChief
08-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Somewhat off topic (and I haven't read the article yet) but I have to wonder if it's all physical with Justin and if part of this is him being Berrys best friend...

siberian khatru
08-05-2016, 04:21 PM
He's still better than that Reid clown that we brought over from the Vikings beat.

What a schlub that guy was...

He worked for the Chiefs, not the Star.

BossChief
08-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Damn. That quote where Dorsey says he hopes Houston comes back is a bit scary.

Nerve issue?

The ligament still not firing?

DJ's left nut
08-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Damn. That quote where Dorsey says he hopes Houston comes back is a bit scary.

Nerve issue?

The ligament still not firing?

It would obviously suck, but the contract isn't exactly a franchise killer.

If he never recovers, he's already built into this year's salary structure and next year's is essentially inescapable as well due to the portion that guaranteed last March, but after that you can cut him and designate him a post June 1 cut and clear $15 million from the cap.

It's not an ideal situation, but it's really only one that will hamstring us for 1 more season no matter how badly it goes.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2016, 04:36 PM
The team is deep enough we can win 11-12 games without him.

I'm more worried about playoffs. We absolutely need him to make a serious run.

BlackOp
08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
A guy that is saying KC looks like an 8-8 team...then goes on to inflate Houston's injury buy inventing a story based on Dorsey's words ? See a pattern?

Chiefs went 1-5 with a healthy Houston...its a very important position but let's not pretend its a QB.

Houston will probably be back around the 9 month mark...it not like his knee was "blown-out" and needed major reconstruction. He was still trying to play on it...

As long as he's back by week 13...

KC has the most negative reporters in the NFL...

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Fuck ! I thought we'd be 16-0 this year. Now it looks like 0-16. Damn !

Morons !

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2016, 05:33 PM
He's definitely a ****ing idiot.

Does the Houston part concern you though?

I'm not concerned because I've felt all along that the soonest that Houston would be ready would be Week 5. This team is so deep and the offense has so many more weapons that any dropoff the defense may have should be offset by the offensive talent. Also, it sounds like the defensive line is just a wrecking ball and hearing good things about Wilson and March definitely alleviate the issues in the middle.

I would be bummed if Houston missed the entire season but if he's back by even Week 12 or Week 13, he'd definitely have an impact during the final four games (three of which are at Arrowhead) and the playoffs.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Houston has all along laughed at his detractors. Until I hear this skepticism from him, I don't give a fuck. We get to week 12 with this bullshit, and I'll say his contract was a mistake, although no one could've predicted it at the time. That's football. Guarantee every contract like every other sport. THAT is the level playing field.

beach tribe
08-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Ive been curious about how well Ford will do and have been watching everything I can find on him
Aaaaaand my gaydar goes nuts when he talks to the media. NTTAWWT.

He looks like he would be great doing "Men on Films"

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Ford_Working_Smarter_Not_Harder/32104607-2f87-45ad-bf48-29e691c0a2cb

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nWdL9mrYNmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lex Luthor
08-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Yep not at all.

JFC. If Dorsey hadn't signed Houston, you guys would have been flying banners and calling for him to be fired. Yes, it would have been nice if Dorsey had been able to sign him a year earlier for a lesser amount, but there's only so much a GM can do if the player doesn't want to sign early.

CapsLockKey
08-05-2016, 11:59 PM
I'd rather have Houston back as close to 100% later in the season as they push for a playoff spot than worry about getting him in the lineup as soon as possible. Give Ford an opportunity to get some experience.

Sure it was a great surprise seeing Poe play early on, but it took him a couple months before he looked like the same player.

kcchiefsus
08-06-2016, 05:41 AM
It sure does hurt having so much of the cap tied up in a player who will likely have had minimal impact for 2 seasons in a row.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Somewhat off topic (and I haven't read the article yet) but I have to wonder if it's all physical with Justin and if part of this is him being Berrys best friend...

OMG ROFL

Chief Roundup
08-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Article should be in the OP.

TEX
08-06-2016, 08:55 AM
The team is deep enough we can win 11-12 games without him.

I'm more worried about playoffs. We absolutely need him to make a serious run.

Yep. As proven in the past.

TEX
08-06-2016, 08:59 AM
It sure does hurt having so much of the cap tied up in a player who will likely have had minimal impact for 2 seasons in a row.

True, but the Chiefs did what needed to be done with Houston (Like Denver and Miller / Houston and Watt) You sign your best, especially when he is one of the top players in the NFL, and then hope for the best. Injuries happen. I dont have a problem with what they did.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2016, 09:08 AM
I would be shocked to see Houston before November.

NJChiefsFan
08-06-2016, 10:49 AM
OMG ROFL

I was confused by his post. Was he implying that Houston was somehow dragging his feet because the Chiefs haven't extended Berry?

Mr. Laz
08-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Houston has all along laughed at his detractors. Until I hear this skepticism from him, I don't give a fuck. We get to week 12 with this bullshit, and I'll say his contract was a mistake, although no one could've predicted it at the time. That's football. Guarantee every contract like every other sport. THAT is the level playing field.

Maybe that's what Dorsey is up to, a little doubt to motivate Houston to prove everyone wrong?

NJChiefsFan
08-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Maybe that's what Dorsey is up to, a little doubt to motivate Houston to prove everyone wrong?

Maybe. Although it's hard to believe with all the contact that Dorsey and Houston have that Houston doesn't know how much Dorsey truly believes in him. Media motivation doesn't seem likely to me in most cases unless that's the only way the two people have contact with each other.

Easy 6
08-06-2016, 02:16 PM
I honestly dont think its some kind of subtle manipulation by Dorsey, it read to me like he is just trying to temper everyones expectations on how soon Houston returns

It sounded vaguely ominous IMO

Wouldnt expect him back until maybe the last 4 games

vailpass
08-06-2016, 02:59 PM
I honestly dont think its some kind of subtle manipulation by Dorsey, it read to me like he is just trying to temper everyones expectations on how soon Houston returns

Don't sweat it. staylor gauranteed he'd be back game 1.

Anyong Bluth
08-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Mellinger is such a disappointment when you look at the unreal amount of talented sportswriters, both beat & column guys, who've cut their teeth at the Star.

Chiefshrink
08-06-2016, 04:50 PM

I agree and at best IMHO. My prediction is he won't see the field at all this year I'm afraid.

staylor26
08-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Wrong.

I said he'd be back after the bye at worst. That was a very reasonable expectation after Dorsey's optimism early on, regardless of the outcome now.

Fucking moron.

Discuss Thrower
08-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Houston will play Week 1.

It is known.

staylor26
08-06-2016, 05:24 PM

And in that same thread, I clearly stated that I was joking and I had no way of knowing if he would be back for sure week 1.

I didn't say it did. :facepalm:

It's probably a good indication that he has a great shot at playing week 1, and will, at worst, be back after the bye though.

How am I contradicting myself? Because you took my "it is known" joke a little too serious?

How the **** could I possibly know for sure? I said that to SNR because we've been the two saying he might play week 1 for a while now.

As for the second part, like I said, Miller and Harris came back from ACL injuries to have great seasons in the same time frame while missing most, if not, the entire offseason. Why are you ignoring this?

:facepalm:

Idiots

Anyong Bluth
08-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Why is anyone thinking he's coming back & playing week 1?

Better yet, why would you want to rush the guy back and potentially have him playing hobbled all season or worse?

It's a LONG season, and if they play their cards right, having Houston fresh down the stretch could give him a few games to play into game shape, and really dominate still fresh come January.

If Houston is the difference between us remaining in the playoff hunt or not, then this team has bigger issues regardless of how big a boost he can give. There's no reason why this team shouldn't be in the thick of the a race for one of the 2 bye week playoff spots, and Justin only betters their chances for a deep playoff run once he gets back healthy.

vailpass
08-06-2016, 07:52 PM

:D

RunKC
08-06-2016, 08:01 PM
After the bye seemed like the most realistic scenario. Now it seems like mid season.

Easy 6
08-06-2016, 08:04 PM

In years past I would've been genuinely scurred, but depth all over the D is outstanding these days

Between that depth and the offense looking like it can take a step forward, we should be able to weather Houstons loss for the most part... if he can get back by the last quarter of the season, that will give him enough time to knock the rust off before the playoffs

staylor26
08-06-2016, 08:04 PM
:D

Yea lets pretend I didn't just disprove that one.

mdchiefsfan
08-06-2016, 08:55 PM

That's what the author is portraying.

mdchiefsfan
08-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Damn disappointing to see you devolve to this level.

mdchiefsfan
08-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Exactly. If you guys want I can't post an optimistic view and attach a link to give it some "back bone."

This is ones guy's interpretations of an interview with Dorsey. Until I see substantial reasons to validate this interview, I don't see the reason to invest emotion into the statement.

DaneMcCloud
08-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Mellinger is such a disappointment when you look at the unreal amount of talented sportswriters, both beat & column guys, who've cut their teeth at the Star.

:clap:

Could not agree more