PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Paging Car Experts

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Jasonsauto or whomever,

Of course now that everything at home is working well, something with the car goes awry.

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Just got back from a trip to Northern California, no problems at all on the trip.

Today, my wife is driving around town and she hears what sounds to her like a snapping noise of some sort and then the engine overheats. She turned off the AC and it went back to normal. When she got home, it was lurching forward after a stop but she did get it home. I popped the hood and the smoke was coming from the passenger side near the dashboard (or at least in that corner of the engine area).

Water pump belt? Head gasket? I'll bring it to my mechanic on Monday, but just seeing what thoughts y'all have on that one.

FlaChief58
08-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Needs blinker fluid

Simply Red
08-06-2016, 01:56 PM
sautomania over sells his car knowledge.

Simply Red
08-06-2016, 01:56 PM
sorry he really doesn't - I'm just bored and tired.

hometeam
08-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Hard to tell from description.. is your serpentine belt there? Was it actually smoke or was it just antifreeze/water vapor? Did a Line break going into the firewall? Does it smell like antifreeze? Is there liquid inside the radiator and overflow?

Take pics.

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 02:07 PM
I'll try to upload a few shortly. All the fluid is on the passenger side. I'll have to look around to see what's going on.

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=166&pictureid=1811

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=166&pictureid=1810

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Coolant reservoir was almost empty. Not sure about the noise she heard though.

Fish
08-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Looks like you're missing a coolant hose..

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Interesting. I put coolant back in the reservoir and put cardboard underneath to see where the fluid goes. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into that. Something I can do?

Simply Red
08-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Interesting. I put coolant back in the reservoir and put cardboard underneath to see where the fluid goes. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into that. Something I can do?

Glad to help!

BlackHelicopters
08-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Faulty fetzer valve.

HemiEd
08-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Looks like you're missing a coolant hose..
Yep

Picture is hard to see but it looks like a heater hose has broken off, clamp and part of the hose remain on the nipple.

Sure you can do it yourself.

Find the hose that should be attached and take off the other end.

Drive your other car down to the parts store with the hose and pick up a piece of hose long enough and attach it to both ends.

Fill it back up with coolant.

Not sure how much you have lost but you could have an air lock if very much.

MIAdragon
08-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Looks like a heater hose let go. Not fun.

SAUTO
08-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Broken tee in the heater hose looks to me. Where it tires into the lines for the rear heat

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Ok, I've got the end that disconnected. Just take off the end that's still connected and replace that and both clamps, right? I don't need to flush anything or do anything else?

TrebMaxx
08-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Good time to inspect the other hoses. Once one goes the odds are there others about ready to fail. JMHO.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Looks like it broke off about an inch from where it connects. Just take the clamp loose , get rid of the broke off piece and reconnect the existing hose with the clamp.

MIAdragon
08-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Pray it didn't crack/warp anything

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 08:55 PM
I couldn't find a matching hose, but after inspecting the one that popped off, I found no problems with it so I went ahead and reattached it with new clamps that I bought.

It ran well at first. Really well.

And then after about 5-10 minutes of driving around, I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine and the meter shot up to high temperature and steam started coming from the same spot. I nursed it home and parked it in the garage. The hose is still attached, but steam appears to be coming out of that spot where it had previously popped off.

Taking it in on Monday, I guess.

SAUTO
08-06-2016, 08:58 PM
You probably either have an air lock or a blown head gasket.

Hit me up tomorrow and I'll talk you through the diagnosis.

After lock we can probably fix on the phone, head gaskets and ill give you a good enough price its probably worth trailering to me to fix if you live in k c.

SAUTO
08-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Let's talk through this tomorrow after noon when I'm home prior to taking it somewhere...

Pm me then. Taking care of family business in kc till then

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks Jason, I live in Southern California so bringing it to KC probably isn't a great plan. :D

I really appreciate you and all of you guys and your suggestions. I'm so bad at this stuff.

I'll be unavailable until after 1:30 Pacific, most likely. I'll shoot you a PM and we'll see if it works.

Buehler445
08-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah. For future reference, don't drive a car hot. Ever. If the temp goes up, stop. If it still has coolant, let the fan cool it back down to normal temp before you drive again. If it has dumped the coolant, shut off the engine.

Heat assfucks engines. Bad.

SAUTO
08-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks Jason, I live in Southern California so bringing it to KC probably isn't a great plan. :D

I really appreciate you and all of you guys and your suggestions. I'm so bad at this stuff.

I'll be unavailable until after 1:30 Pacific, most likely. I'll shoot you a PM and we'll see if it works.

Ok good deal, I'll doo what I.can to help

CaliforniaChief
08-06-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm sure I have messed things up in some way. I have the Schmidas touch in that regard, no doubt. It's so frustrating.

I really admire those of you with mechanical knowledge and the ability to figure these things out. And I appreciate you.

Buehler445
08-06-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm sure I have messed things up in some way. I have the Schmidas touch in that regard, no doubt. It's so frustrating.

I really admire those of you with mechanical knowledge and the ability to figure these things out. And I appreciate you.

Listen to Jason. I'm a shit mechanic. But I do a lot of machine operating and have to do it a lot even though I suck at it. I can conceptually understand what's going on in the motor, but I'm pretty ham fisted compared to legit mechanics.

HemiEd
08-07-2016, 06:45 AM
You probably either have an air lock or a blown head gasket.

Hit me up tomorrow and I'll talk you through the diagnosis.

After lock we can probably fix on the phone, head gaskets and ill give you a good enough price its probably worth trailering to me to fix if you live in k c.

As I mentioned in my post, an air lock. These new cars aren't as easy as they used to be.

Anyong Bluth
08-07-2016, 07:33 AM
As I mentioned in my post, an air lock. These new cars aren't as easy as they used to be.
Disappointingly. At least from the aspect of being able to work on stuff and fix at home. I'm sure the diagnostic tools save a load of time for the pros.

Then again, my summer project doing some body work and restoration is providing more than enough of a crash course on the many intricacies of painting and finishing.

It's been humbling, but the process and learning are half the enjoyment.

Buehler445
08-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Damn it. I hate gas motors. I needed SAUTO here. I have a natural gas 300 Ford engine on an irrigation well. It rained last night and drowned it out. So I went out there on an ATV cleaned the cap, and it wouldn't fucking go. So I dicked with it awhile and finally decided I needed more tools. So I grabbed dad and a test light, and we went to work.

Those irrigation motors have Murphy switches on them to shut off if it loses oil pressure or overheats. So we went to looking and we were getting electricity out of the coil, but not a lot to the plugs. Had power on both sides of the resistor and both sides of the coil. The Murphy switch was giving inconsistent electricity out of the murphy switch. Went back to get one and put it on. Nothing. So we messed around and decided to rebuild a couple connections. Dickall. Bypassed the resistor. WORKED. Fuck fucking yes. New resistor. Nope. Turns out the electronic ignition I installed because I hate points was eating 4 volts and wouldn't throw a big enough spark after it went through the resistor, which was bypassed when the starter button was pushed.

My god that was maddening. Turned a 10 minute deal into a 5 hour deal with all the travel time.

Fuck gas engines. I need to run some wire and run electric.

CaliforniaChief
08-07-2016, 04:39 PM
My schmidas touch is contagious.

Buehler445
08-07-2016, 04:43 PM
My schmidas touch is contagious.

I'll definitely blame you.

MIAdragon
08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
There is a 10mm bleader on one of the coolant hoses. Fill coolant open bleader, let run.

SAUTO
08-07-2016, 05:56 PM
There is a 10mm bleader on one of the coolant hoses. Fill coolant open bleader, let run.

No need, the nipple there is broken

MIAdragon
08-08-2016, 07:45 AM
No need, the nipple there is broken

lol, that's the one that broke huh.

CaliforniaChief
08-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Yeah, when I went back under the hood to try to check it out, the hose just slid right off and took the nipple with it. So yeah, going in today to get that fixed.

CaliforniaChief
08-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Because I know you guys keep refreshing this thread to see what the final outcome was...car's still in the shop, but I had to replace the entire heater control because that's what the nipple was attached to. I guess if you want a new nipple, you have to buy the whole breast.

Gonna cost $400 out the door. Could have been much worse. Although I'm not sure how much the blinker fluid is going for. :D

Thanks again you guys. I sincerely appreciate all of you...between ChiefsPlanet and YouTube I've come a long ways, even if I couldn't fix this one myself.

Anyong Bluth
08-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Because I know you guys keep refreshing this thread to see what the final outcome was...car's still in the shop, but I had to replace the entire heater control because that's what the nipple was attached to. I guess if you want a new nipple, you have to buy the whole breast.

Gonna cost $400 out the door. Could have been much worse. Although I'm not sure how much the blinker fluid is going for. :D

Thanks again you guys. I sincerely appreciate all of you...between ChiefsPlanet and YouTube I've come a long ways, even if I couldn't fix this one myself.
Seriously? A whole new part just to fix the attachment issue !

Not having seen it but based on your description that would royally piss me off. I'd MacGyver the hell out of it just on principle of a $20 fix for a $2 part shouldn't end up being replacing the entire thing for $400.

Hell, at least pick and pull the replacement part from salvo. An A rated replacement would be 1/8th the cost. Labor shouldn't run more than $150, and you probably spend no more than half the $400 they're charging now.

Frosty
08-09-2016, 11:52 AM
$400?

I just bought a Frontier, which shares a platform with the Pathfinder. I better keep an eye on my nipples.

SAUTO
08-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Seriously? A whole new part just to fix the attachment issue !

Not having seen it but based on your description that would royally piss me off. I'd MacGyver the hell out of it just on principle of a $20 fix for a $2 part shouldn't end up being replacing the entire thing for $400.

Hell, at least pick and pull the replacement part from salvo. An A rated replacement would be 1/8th the cost. Labor shouldn't run more than $150, and you probably spend no more than half the $400 they're charging now.

its a crazy assembly that has pipes run back to the rear heat/ac.

the attachment points are plastic and get brittle, i wouldnt recommend a used part in this situation due to that.

lewdog
08-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Where are my car's nipples located?

I'd like to see them tonight.

CaliforniaChief
08-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I live in Southern California. Nipples cost an arm and a leg out here.

Can you imagine if I had gone to a mechanic in Beverly Hills?

Perineum Ripper
08-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Spray water on it and then turn a fan towards it on high

Have a bunch of singles ready to make it rain

Anyong Bluth
08-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Spray water on it and then turn a fan towards it on high

Have a bunch of singles ready to make it rain
The Susan B. coins really make things get interesting.

Anyong Bluth
08-09-2016, 05:50 PM
its a crazy assembly that has pipes run back to the rear heat/ac.

the attachment points are plastic and get brittle, i wouldnt recommend a used part in this situation due to that.
Thanks for the info. Could you put an epoxy or something to strengthen the plastic from the outside elements, oxidation, etc, since it's already stressed by the constant temperature changes?

SAUTO
08-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you put an epoxy or something to strengthen the plastic from the outside elements, oxidation, etc, since it's already stressed by the constant temperature changes?

Where it breaks is covered by the hose anyway.

Anyong Bluth
08-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Where it breaks is covered by the hose anyway.
Maddening knowing it's designed to fail.

SAUTO
08-09-2016, 06:47 PM

AND that they make the aluminum pipes for the rear heat non-removable from that assembly.

Buehler445
08-09-2016, 07:17 PM

You need to drive a few million dollars of Deere shit. That would make this a far less big deal to you.

SAUTO
08-09-2016, 08:18 PM
You need to drive a few million dollars of Deere shit. That would make this a far less big deal to you.

ROFL.

GloryDayz
08-09-2016, 10:06 PM

In old cars they point down and drag the ground.