PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car guys, help please

MTG#10
08-10-2016, 02:45 PM
2002 Ford Explorer. A/C has been making a lot of noise for past few months. Today a perfectly good serpentine belt was snapped in half. Replaced belt. Squeals like hell when A/C is on, quiet when it's not. Before belt was snapped, A/C (compressor?) was loud but it didn't make the belt squeal. Also now A/C not blowing out cold air at all.

1. What needs replaced? Compressor?

2. Until I can get around to that is it ok to drive as is without A/C or do I need to get a shorter belt and bypass the compressor?

In58men
08-10-2016, 02:51 PM
You sure the serpentine belt was good? That doesn't make any sense. The noise from your AC is more than likely your AC belt.

TLO
08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Antifreeze

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Compressor is shot, sounds like to me. What motor? 4.0?

stumppy
08-10-2016, 02:55 PM
may just need the clutch and coil on the front of the compressor. while the belt is off ck and see if you can spin the a/c pulley with the a/c off them try with a/c on.

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Internals on compressor are locked up. I bet that pulley isn't turning when the clutch engages. That's why the belt broke and went the new one squeals when it's turned on.

You MIGHT be able to drive it for a while as long as you don't turn on the ac. Sounds like the pulley bearings are likely good. But it could lock up at any time

MTG#10
08-10-2016, 02:56 PM
You sure the serpentine belt was good? That doesn't make any sense. The noise from your AC is more than likely your AC belt.

Yes. Was just replaced a year ago, no damage to it at all other than being snapped in half.

Compressor is shot, sounds like to me. What motor? 4.0?

Yes sir.

If I replace the compressor, I'm guessing I'll need to recharge correct? Is that something anyone can buy? Never messed with A/C on a vehicle but I know years ago only licensed mechanics could charge them.

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 02:56 PM
may just need the clutch and coil on the front of the compressor. while the belt is off ck and see if you can spin the a/c pulley with the a/c off them try with a/c on.

Nope. It's internal, I'm 99.9999999 percent sure

stumppy
08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Nope. It's internal, I'm 99.9999999 percent sure

Prob right. I'm not familiar with the fords at all.

MTG#10
08-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Good idea, thanks.

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Yes. Was just replaced a year ago, no damage to it at all other than being snapped in half.

Yes sir.

If I replace the compressor, I'm guessing I'll need to recharge correct? Is that something anyone can buy? Never messed with A/C on a vehicle but I know years ago only licensed mechanics could charge them.
It will have to be evacuated, flush the whole system, orifice tube is most likely plugged, drier too. Gotta replace them or you are just wasting your money. Then recharge to the CORRECT amount of Freon.

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Oh AND to make it right you gotta pull vacuum on that system prior to charging.

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Good idea, thanks.

If that was the case it would squeal when off and on.

Fish
08-10-2016, 03:00 PM
2002 Ford Explorer. A/C has been making a lot of noise for past few months. Today a perfectly good serpentine belt was snapped in half. Replaced belt. Squeals like hell when A/C is on, quiet when it's not. Before belt was snapped, A/C (compressor?) was loud but it didn't make the belt squeal. Also now A/C not blowing out cold air at all.

1. What needs replaced?

The Ford Explorer.

MTG#10
08-10-2016, 03:03 PM
It will have to be evacuated, flush the whole system, orifice tube is most likely plugged, drier too. Gotta replace them or you are just wasting your money. Then recharge to the CORRECT amount of Freon.

Ugh. So this is something that I'm going to have to pay someone to do. I found a compressor for $150 and looks like something I could easily handle but not all that other stuff. How much minus the cost of the compressor should something like that cost?

MTG#10
08-10-2016, 03:04 PM
The Ford Explorer.

It belongs to a 16 year old, she's gonna have to deal with it until she can afford to

stumppy
08-10-2016, 03:07 PM
It belongs to a 16 year old, she's gonna have to deal with it until she can afford to

That is the best repair of all.

BlackHelicopters
08-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Creepy

SAUTO
08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Ugh. So this is something that I'm going to have to pay someone to do. I found a compressor for $150 and looks like something I could easily handle but not all that other stuff. How much minus the cost of the compressor should something like that cost?

Call me tomorrow I'll pm you with the number.

MTG#10
08-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Alright, she's fine with not having A/C so I just want to figure out my options.

Can I just replace the compressor pulley or will I need to replace the entire clutch? Its getting very hot and now its getting noisy (not the belt but the pulley itself), its just a matter of time before it breaks another belt. Ive already disconnected the power to it.

Or do I have to replace the whole compressor even though its not going to be used other than something for the belt to go around?

Or do I just try and find a shorter belt and bypass it completely? If I go that route will her defrost still work?

SAUTO
08-12-2016, 06:26 PM
You can either try a shorter belt, or spend a little more and install this http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/search/A!s!C+Compressor+Bypass+Pulley/03861/C0328.oap?year=2002&make=Ford&model=Explorer&vi=5016027&reset=true

SAUTO
08-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Defrost wont work as well but will still work.

MTG#10
08-12-2016, 06:44 PM
You can either try a shorter belt, or spend a little more and install this http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/search/A!s!C+Compressor+Bypass+Pulley/03861/C0328.oap?year=2002&make=Ford&model=Explorer&vi=5016027&reset=true

Oh nice. If I replaced the whole clutch assembly with this (https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-47867-Clutch-Assembly/dp/B000C2OBKG) what are the chances of the A/C working again? I read someone say in reviews that they replaced just the clutch assembly after theirs seized up and the a/c worked fine after.

SAUTO
08-12-2016, 06:50 PM
It sounds like the internals are locked up to me. If you can't spin that piece on the very front (clutch plate) its fucked imo.

They probably had the front bearing (pulley that belt rides on houses it) lock up. When that happens the pulley never turns.

Yours turns until you lock in the magnetic clutch, then locks up. To me that says the pulley bearing hasn't totally failed at this point. Which then says it's locked up inside and needs a whole compressor, bypass pulley, or shorter belt.

MTG#10
08-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks man. The pulley turns with the A/C off and on, but when its on it makes a lot of noise and sparks fly.

SAUTO
08-12-2016, 07:21 PM
It's impossible to say without seeing it.

MTG#10
08-12-2016, 08:08 PM
I think Im just going to try to find a shorter belt. The bypass pulley is a good idea but it looks like I'd still have to remove the compressor and have the system vacuumed.

This whole thing is crazy to me, Ive had A/C go out in several vehicles but never heard of a one losing A/C and rendering it undriveable until it was fixed/bypassed.