PDA

View Full Version : Life Camping/Outdoor stories, tips, suggestions, hints and food.

threebag
08-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I tried a search for a thread that maybe addressed these things. Closest I could find was a "why don't black people camp" thread. My 8 year old has really become an outdoors kid this summer. Plenty of fishing trips to the lakes here in South Central Kansas. Campfire meals trips to mom and pop diners to boot. Figured a thread for secrets that have made your excursions a success. Maybe even heads up on things not to do. Just a dumping ground for anything camping. Hell even pictures if you so desire. Thanks hopefully all your adventures are everything and more than you expected.

srvy
08-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Save your drier lint and get some parafin. Tear little balls lint dip in melted parafin set out on wax paper and cool in fridge. Makes excellent Firestarter and keep in day pack in baggy for emergencies. Keep some in camp box for starting campfire.

I remember that thread also lots good info. I think it was started by Newchief.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

threebag
08-12-2016, 09:36 PM
We prep a ton of food prior to leaving. Freeze a couple cases of water for the bottom of the coolers. We cook a lot of Hobo Dinners.
http://cdn-finspi.com/image/00090/600/0131a2dc2/save-for-summer-fast-no-mess-hobo-dinners-ev.jpg
My son likes to make s'mores with Reese's Cups Instead of Hershey's chocolate.

rockymtnchief
08-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Save your drier lint and get some parafin. Tear little balls lint dip in melted parafin set out on wax paper and cool in fridge. Makes excellent Firestarter and keep in day pack in baggy for emergencies. Keep some in camp box for starting campfire.

I roll cotton balls in Vaseline and put it in Altoids tins. I must have a dozen in coats, backpacks, the ATV and in the truck. They fire up easy and burn quite a while.

Dartgod
08-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Don't forget to bring some DVDs so if its too hot to sit outside, you can pop in a Fast and Furious DVD and fall asleep in your recliner.

srvy
08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
I roll cotton balls in Vaseline and put it in Altoids tins. I must have a dozen in coats, backpacks, the ATV and in the truck. They fire up easy and burn quite a while.
Great tip will try.

threebag
08-12-2016, 10:37 PM
This summer it's been tent. Next year he can sleep in the tent next to the 33' RV. So no DVD or recliner yet. It's the missing the AC thats killing me.

Easy 6
08-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Bottles of all kinds like gatorade, powerade, water etc make excellent, less expensive $2.85 a bag of ice substitutes for food storage in particular... for cooling a case of beer, not so much

But when the bottle thaws you still have water to wash and cook with

And if that fails, pop in Fast and Furious if its too hot outside

threebag
08-12-2016, 11:34 PM
He just wants no part of the motor home and it kind of sucks

R8RFAN
08-13-2016, 05:00 AM

cottonballs with vaseline on them in a jar... Best Fire starter ever

rockymtnchief
08-13-2016, 06:03 AM
cottonballs with vaseline on them in a jar... Best Fire starter ever

See post #4 :D

I use an Altoids tin. If you drop it, it won't break. I used to use a sandwich bag. Then one ripped and left a lovely mess in my backpack.

As threebag said, make some tasty meals before you leave and put them in tinfoil. Google make-ahead camp meals or pre-made camp meals. I've also ordered freeze dried meals that you throw in a backpack that were better than I expected.

I also keep a compass and lighter in every coat that I use for hiking and camping. Have a map of the area.

Look on geocaching.com to see if there's any caches in the area. Kids love going on a "treasure hunt". Bigger caches usually have items a kid would want. Make sure and leave something if you take something! A lot of caches have taken me place you won't find on a map. (caves, waterfalls, scenic overlooks, etc...)

Fire Me Boy!
08-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Buy a tent. Stakes. Fire starters. Poncho. Sleeping bag or air mattress. Etc.

Leave them all at home. Book a room in a hotel. Go to a nice restaurant.

tmax63
08-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Brush up on your map reading skills and teach the young lad how to use a compass and map. With the advent of GPS's many outdoorsmen have lost this skill but a compass never runs out of batteries. An 8'x10' piece of plastic and a couple of "space blankets" weighs a pound or less and makes a good emergency shelter. Ditto on the cotton balls and Vaseline. Always pack at least 2 (and 3 is better) different methods to make fire.

Perineum Ripper
08-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Baby wipes..if you can get fragrance free ones or the aloe ones..they are an ass cleaner and a shower to clean up some swamp ass/swamp nuts..ball powder is also good

Better heavier tent stakes instead on the tiny ones it comes with

Strap a multi tool/Gerber to your pack and one of the military shovels is also good

Put clothes into zip lock bags or get dry bags..I get big zip locks and put socks and shirts in it for each day so it's easy and quick to grab..then shove those zip locks into a dry back

First aid kit and duck tape with it..you can duck tape a split together with a few sticks

Read first aid and survival books..good tips in it all

Pasta Little Brioni
08-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Take Freighters RV

DMAC
08-13-2016, 09:13 AM
I don't see many bald fat goateed guys on the trail.

rockymtnchief
08-13-2016, 09:15 AM
I don't see many bald fat goateed guys on the trail.

That's because they're wearing their ghille suits. Slow down and look closer!

loochy
08-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Don't take any women along. Bears can smell the menstruation. You'll put the whole station at risk.

ptlyon
08-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Watch for Charlie

cwhocares
08-13-2016, 10:12 AM
To prevent bug bites, I always take a B-100 complex in the morning and at night. It doesn't' keep the biters away but they will not bite if they land on you. I'm outdoors a lot and I haven't had a bug bite in over 30 years. They used to eat me up.

patteeu
08-13-2016, 11:35 AM
To prevent bug bites, I always take a B-100 complex in the morning and at night. It doesn't' keep the biters away but they will not bite if they land on you. I'm outdoors a lot and I haven't had a bug bite in over 30 years. They used to eat me up.

I'm going to try this. If this works, many thanks!