PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mathews, Harrison and Peppers facing suspension

Red Dawg
08-15-2016, 07:11 PM
If they don't have interviews about their PED usage in the report before 25 August.

Damn son!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685802/article/nfl-sets-deadline-for-players-named-in-ped-report-to-interview

WhawhaWhat
08-15-2016, 07:18 PM
I figured that Clay Matthews' giant square head was natural.

Red Dawg
08-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Will players never learn? You don't tell Roger I won't talk to you. No player ever gets away with it and now that Brady has been dealt with for his disobedience and Peterson had his win overturned these guys may as well give it up.

Own it.

sedated
08-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Is that the same report that named Peyton? I thought the NFL disregarded it for lack of evidence?

Red Dawg
08-15-2016, 07:41 PM
They dismissed Peyton not the others. He's retired and their golden boy. The media will eat that up as well. Why is Manning so special? The bottom line is the man is retired so who cares. They won't trash his bullshit legacy.

Chiefshrink
08-15-2016, 07:53 PM
They dismissed Peyton not the others. He's retired and their golden boy. The media will eat that up as well. Why is Manning so special? The bottom line is the man is retired so who cares. They won't trash his bullshit legacy.

Just like Michael Jordan getting a pass for gambling because he is the golden boy for the NBA.

lewdog
08-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Just like Michael Jordan getting a pass for gambling because he is the golden boy for the NBA.

You can't separate gambling and PEDs for how they impact performance?

Rain Man
08-15-2016, 07:58 PM

Yeah, it's pretty clear that they waited until he retired before taking action. The NFL is such a wrestling league these days. I bet a Bronco could kill four people in a restaurant and he'd still get voted Super Bowl MVP.

Al Bundy
08-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Yeah, he was never thought to be gambling on NBA games or anything. He was a notorious cheapskate though.

thabear04
08-15-2016, 08:25 PM
https://instagram.com/p/BJIutYWA-Sk/

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2016, 08:52 PM
So they wait for Manning to retire to do this. Lying that there was no substance to protect him, now this. What a joke of a league.

NWTF
08-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Yeah, it's pretty clear that they waited until he retired before taking action. The NFL is such a wrestling league these days. I bet a Bronco could kill four people in a restaurant and he'd still get voted Super Bowl MVP.

When the story first broke the NFL acted like it was a non story as if there was nothing credible to it, then when pressed if they were going to look into it they said they would do their own internal investigation and declined any assistance from the USADA who was helping MLB look into their own accusations.

So long after Manning wins the SB and announces retirement the NFL says they found nothing in regards to Manning. So Manning has been "cleared" by the NFLs "investigation".

Which was basically letting some time pass and sneaking out one rainy night when everyone else was sleeping and burying anything and everything regarding Manning and HGH never to be found again so now they can proceed with letting the other accused and everyone else know there is an investigation going on because you know the NFL is about integrity.

So that Al Jazeera report may have some merit to it after all........ well, except for the part about Peyton, that turned out be be a total lie, but the others, yeah there may be something there.

threebag
08-15-2016, 09:26 PM
HGH = 0.00

Deberg_1990
08-15-2016, 10:27 PM
al jazeera ?

The terrorists have won

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2016, 10:29 PM
But but but it was not true...till golden boy retired

OctoberFart
08-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Didn't Peyton meet and talk with the NFL? These other guys are just refusing to talk.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Bronco boy on cue

OctoberFart
08-16-2016, 02:11 AM
Bronco boy on cue

Keep on pushing that narrative. It is pretty obvious on how stupid you guys are and will believe anything your pea brain wants you to believe. I really wonder if you guys pay attention to NFL news at all.

New World Order
08-16-2016, 02:41 AM
October pissed

BlackOp
08-16-2016, 03:03 AM
Keep on pushing that narrative. It is pretty obvious on how stupid you guys are and will believe anything your pea brain wants you to believe. I really wonder if you guys pay attention to NFL news at all.

You, obliviously, "pay attention" to NFL news...and repeat whatever they tell you.

"does a lemming know it's a lemming".......

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Is that the same report that named Peyton? I thought the NFL disregarded it for lack of evidence?

They cleared Peyton, but they are demanding that even though they found the report not credible when it came to Peyton, they interview the other players named in the report.

In Herr Goodell's NFL, when the Schutzstaffel wishes to speak with you, you speak with them, or there will be . . . consequences.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Didn't Peyton meet and talk with the NFL? These other guys are just refusing to talk.

Yes. Come see Herr Kommissar, kiss his ring, and hope for his love and forgiveness.

Or, as someone else tweeted:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 14h14 hours ago
Stephanie Stradley Retweeted Tom Pelissero
The NFL punishes players who cooperate, don't cooperate, don't cooperate enough according to thems. No win situation

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Yes. Come see Herr Kommissar, kiss his ring, and hope for his love and forgiveness.

Or, as someone else tweeted:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 14h14 hours ago
Stephanie Stradley Retweeted Tom Pelissero
The NFL punishes players who cooperate, don't cooperate, don't cooperate enough according to thems. No win situation

So if you were the CEO of a billion dollar corporation and you wanted to speak to an employee about an issue that was reported, it would be o.k. with you for the employee to say no? No business is ran that way. Players need to stop thinking of themselves as some type of equal partners in the league. They are not. Owners are like ranch owners, Goodell is the foreman and players are the cattle.

When the foreman says I need to talk to you then you go and have a talk or get out of business. End of story.

Chiefnj2
08-16-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm looking forward to the pissing battle between Harrison and Roger.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 08:12 AM
So if you were the CEO of a billion dollar corporation and you wanted to speak to an employee about an issue that was reported, it would be o.k. with you for the employee to say no? No business is ran that way.

Unionized businesses are something entirely different. I also note that the NFL is not the employer of any NFL player. Each club is a separate corporation which employs its players. The NFL is the organization that governs everything.

Players need to stop thinking of themselves as some type of equal partners in the league. They are not. Owners are like ranch owners, Goodell is the foreman and players are the cattle.

When the foreman says I need to talk to you then you go and have a talk or get out of business. End of story.

Sure, that is the way the league is run. That is how all professional sports franchises were run years ago, but the players thought they had some rights under the CBA. They learned the hard way that they do not -- at least not when it comes to discipline.

If your philosophy is to be perfectly ok with, say, Justin Houston being barred from teh NFL for life because he refused to speak with the Commissioner about some allegation that someone made in some newspaper anywhere without any other evidence at all, then yes, you're fine with the NFL as currently constituted.

I might be too, frankly, if the Commissioner didn't decide what he did on disciplinary matters based on which side of the bed he rolled out of, combined with a finger-in-the-air public opinion poll on any given issue.

But sure, yes, if you like the Kenesaw Mountain Landis approach, you're good with all this.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Unionized businesses are something entirely different. I also note that the NFL is not the employer of any NFL player. Each club is a separate corporation which employs its players. The NFL is the organization that governs everything.

Sure, that is the way the league is run. That is how all professional sports franchises were run years ago, but the players thought they had some rights under the CBA. They learned the hard way that they do not -- at least not when it comes to discipline.

If your philosophy is to be perfectly ok with, say, Justin Houston being barred from teh NFL for life because he refused to speak with the Commissioner about some allegation that someone made in some newspaper anywhere without any other evidence at all, then yes, you're fine with the NFL as currently constituted.

I might be too, frankly, if the Commissioner didn't decide what he did on disciplinary matters based on which side of the bed he rolled out of, combined with a finger-in-the-air public opinion poll on any given issue.

But sure, yes, if you like the Kenesaw Mountain Landis approach, you're good with all this.

It has nothing to do with what I'm good with, it's the way it is in large corporations and if the players thought the CBA was good for them or they had rights then they didn't read it. Employees are not allowed to just do whatever they want.

Lets not forget the owners fought for their CEO to have all the say in these matters. Kraft included. If your top dog that is charged with assuring the product is made with quality, like Roger is, wants to speak with you then you go and speak with them. That is in any corporation. Players like your boy and apparently other players have the attitude of "How dare he give me any demands" "I am the man". If they don't like it then they can quit and stop whining about it like little kids. They signed it and now want to complain like babies.

Roger is above them in the corporation. He is quality control and they have no choice but to comply with what he says. That is it. Brady and AP found out the hard way.

OctoberFart
08-16-2016, 08:31 AM
So if you were the CEO of a billion dollar corporation and you wanted to speak to an employee about an issue that was reported, it would be o.k. with you for the employee to say no? No business is ran that way. Players need to stop thinking of themselves as some type of equal partners in the league. They are not. Owners are like ranch owners, Goodell is the foreman and players are the cattle.

Yeah but it doesn't fit the narrative that these posters have convinced themselves is going on. Even if you break it down to Player A cooperated with the league and did what was asked and is not in trouble. Player B refuses to cooperate and do the required interview and is thus facing discipline.

BleedingRed
08-16-2016, 08:33 AM
Am I the only one who is putting 2 and 2 together?

https://s4.postimg.org/n9cwzof7x/peyton3.png
https://s3.postimg.org/85r2g7q9f/peyton.png
https://s4.postimg.org/dj94o9tzx/peyton_2.png

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Am I the only one who is putting 2 and 2 together?

https://s4.postimg.org/n9cwzof7x/peyton3.png
https://s3.postimg.org/85r2g7q9f/peyton.png
https://s4.postimg.org/dj94o9tzx/peyton_2.png

Manning the doper.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 08:48 AM
It has nothing to do with what I'm good with, it's the way it is in large corporations and if the players thought the CBA was good for them or they had rights then they didn't read it. Employees are not allowed to just do whatever they want.

And absolutely nobody said they did.

Lets not forget the owners fought for their CEO to have all the say in these matters. Kraft included. If your top dog that is charged with assuring the product is made with quality, like Roger is, wants to speak with you then you go and speak with them. That is in any corporation. Players like your boy and apparently other players have the attitude of "How dare he give me any demands" "I am the man". If they don't like it then they can quit and stop whining about it like little kids. They signed it and now want to complain like babies.

Pretty sure nobody thought Goodell was going to become Herr Krazy Psyko Kommissar. I mean, for however many years the NFL did just fine, and then this guy comes along and hands out suspensions like Pez for everything and anything, regardless of past history, or his own rulebooks. It's crazy, and I don't blame NFL players one bit for not liking a system that makes no sense.

Roger is above them in the corporation. He is quality control and they have no choice but to comply with what he says. That is it. Brady and AP found out the hard way.

Roger and the players aren't even in the same corporation you dummy. The NFL teams delegated authority to the Commissioner's office with respect to certain matters, per the NFL partnership agreement which all clubs sign.

But whatever. Teh NFL is god and those fucktard players ought to just shut up and bend over like the little bitches they are. Ok, your position is duly noted.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 08:52 AM
For what it's worth (nothing), I have historically leaned pro-league. I do not support guaranteed contracts, for example, and I do believe teams and the league need a fair bit of discretion in all matters, including discipline. The NBA and MLB have some pretty crazy systems where players have far too much control.

What has gone wrong in the NFL isn't so much the system itself, as the fucking lunatic who is running the show and seems to think players should be punished if they don't kiss the ring.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 09:01 AM
For what it's worth (nothing), I have historically leaned pro-league. I do not support guaranteed contracts, for example, and I do believe teams and the league need a fair bit of discretion in all matters, including discipline. The NBA and MLB have some pretty crazy systems where players have far too much control.

What has gone wrong in the NFL isn't so much the system itself, as the ****ing lunatic who is running the show and seems to think players should be punished if they don't kiss the ring.

He wants to see them concerning a PED matter that a report brought them up in. How is that kissing the ring?

Is your butt hurt over Brady so great that you think employees should just ignore what the head honcho says? It's just an interview and if they don't want to they can retire.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Bleeding Red is spot on.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2016, 09:03 AM

Lemming fuck

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 09:03 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/210274/nfl-players-should-fight-al-jazeera-suspensions-like-crazy

The latest imposition of NFL power over its players goes something like this:

If someone, anyone, makes a public allegation, substantiated or otherwise, recanted or supported, of possible improper conduct, the player must submit to an investigation on the league's terms or face suspension.

That's essentially what the NFL said Monday in a letter to the NFL Players Association as a final warning to four players named in an Al-Jazeera report on the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The source for the report has since retracted his information, and the league already has cleared the name mentioned most prominently: retired quarterback Peyton Manning. But if the Green Bay Packers' Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews, the Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison and free agent Mike Neal don't play ball with the NFL -- if they don't step forward to prove their innocence, as it were -- then they will be suspended as of Aug. 26.

It would be easy to say that a rule-abiding player has nothing to worry about, but I'm going to guess that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and retired defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove, among others, might not agree.

As I said Monday night on SportsCenter, there has been -- to put it diplomatically -- plenty of gray area in previous NFL investigations. Based on recent history, at least, these players are more likely to be disciplined for their conduct during the investigation than for any of the allegations that spurred the investigation in the first place.

Brady will serve a four-game suspension to start this season because the NFL determined he was "more likely than not" involved in a scheme to deflate footballs in the 2014 AFC Championship Game. The league's final report, of course, carried not a shred of direct and verified evidence that Brady was involved -- or even that the balls themselves were artificially deflated. It focused heavily on Brady's refusal to provide his mobile phone, even though he said he provided all the information the league requested from it.

Hargrove, meanwhile, essentially lost his career in 2012 when the NFL pinned much of its Bountygate investigation on him telling his New Orleans Saints teammates to "pay me my money" after a hit on then-Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre. Hargrove adamantly denied saying it, and the NFL concluded he was not being truthful in his deposition. Later, an NFL Films video confirmed Hargrove's account. The NFL quietly acknowledged it.

The point, of course, is that Peppers, Matthews, Neal and Harrison have been smart in approaching the latest investigation with extreme caution. One wrong move, or one perceived to be uncooperative by the league, and they'll forever be stained by NFL discipline.

The NFL already has a PEDs policy, to which all four players have been subject. The policy's testing procedure should be the source of any allegation. Unless one or more of them have tested positive, they are innocent under the terms of the agreed NFL-NFLPA policy. The policy does allow for discipline if violations are found through "sufficient credible documented evidence," but unless the NFL has uncovered something more than Al-Jazeera did from a now-discredited source, it's difficult to imagine what that might be.

In this case, the NFL is asking the players to step outside the policy and answer to the allegation anyway. Ask Brady and Hargrove, both of whom denied their respective accusations from the start, how that worked out for them.

In truth, this really isn't about PEDs. Again, the NFL has a policy for that. This is another maneuver in the now-ubiquitous power struggle between the league and its players. The NFL is emboldened by its legal victory over Brady and is using the same broad authority -- as written in Article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement -- to compel participation in an otherwise out-of-policy investigation.

If you celebrated Brady's discipline, surely you realized that your team could be next. You did realize that, right?

At the moment, it's difficult to imagine the limits of the league's power. Even in a union environment, with a legal CBA in place, we might finally have reached the moment when players are subject to discipline whenever they don't do what the NFL asks of them. If you thought the relationship between the two sides was icy and too litigious already, wait until you see what's next.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 09:06 AM
He wants to see them concerning a PED matter that a report brought them up in. How is that kissing the ring?

Is your butt hurt over Brady so great that you think employees should just ignore what the head honcho says? It's just an interview and if they don't want to they can retire.

Let me guess, OSHA sucks, the Department of Labor sucks, all labor laws suck, and the DOL, and probably the EPA too, should be abolished? Companies should be able to do what they want. They're paying you, after all....

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Jesus cuck..you are STILL whining about Brady being rightfully suspended for " lying and cheating????

Dave Lane
08-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Let me guess, OSHA sucks, the Department of Labor sucks, all labor laws suck, and the DOL, and probably the EPA too, should be abolished? Companies should be able to do what they want. They're paying you, after all....

When arguing with a complete idiot, I find it best to find something else to do instead. In the end he will pull you down to his level and win with experience.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 09:21 AM

I am not picking a side. I am talking about reality of being in the work force and how the players think that they are above what they agreed to in the CBA.

If the boss, CEO or owner wants to speak to you about an issue then you will either have the conversation, be canned or you can quit. That is life anywhere you go. Successful players have big ego's and simply don't like being treated like workers but at the end of the day, that's what they are, employees of a multi billion dollar company that will answer to the man.

Fair of unfair that is what happens and they may as well just live with it and comply because it's not going change any time soon. None of them will quit that's for sure because their ego won't allow them to go out like that.

Brady could have easily walked away on his principals. He's a legend with 4 rings no matter happened but he didn't and these guys won't either. He lost a so will they. Give the interviews and move on and unless they have a hot drug test nothing will happen. If your clean then they have nothing to fear.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 10:30 AM
I am not picking a side. I am talking about reality of being in the work force and how the players think that they are above what they agreed to in the CBA.

If the boss, CEO or owner wants to speak to you about an issue then you will either have the conversation, be canned or you can quit. That is life anywhere you go. Successful players have big ego's and simply don't like being treated like workers but at the end of the day, that's what they are, employees of a multi billion dollar company that will answer to the man.

Fair of unfair that is what happens and they may as well just live with it and comply because it's not going change any time soon. None of them will quit that's for sure because their ego won't allow them to go out like that.

Brady could have easily walked away on his principals. He's a legend with 4 rings no matter happened but he didn't and these guys won't either. He lost a so will they. Give the interviews and move on and unless they have a hot drug test nothing will happen. If your clean then they have nothing to fear.

Yeah, that last bit is demonstrably not true.

But let's get back to what matters. Here's the thing -- the PED program is spelled out in the CBA. It contains all kinds of stuff about urine testing etc. Now, the NFL wants players to answer questions about PEDs. That's not in the CBA. They want NFL players to potentially give incriminating evidence in a way that is not in the CBA.

What if the NFL suddenly wanted players to sign affidavits, under oath, swearing that they have not taken any illegal substance since the last drug test. That ok?

Well, it shouldn't be. The CBA doesn't say anything about that. But now, under Article 46, perhaps refusal to give affirmative evidence exonerating yourself is enough to establish reasonable belief that you did take illegal substances, so now you're penalized not under the PED policy (because you didn't violate that in a way that can be established under the PED policy) but rather under Article 46.

Oh, and it's conduct detrimental, and Herr Kommmissar wants compliance, so it's an automatic one year suspension.

Done and done. Don't like it, too fucking bad. Not in teh CBA? Too fucking bad. That's what Herr Kommissar wants today, so that is what he shall get.

Life under Zie Kommissar.

You know what this looks to the NFLPA, which spent all that time and money negotiating a PED policy with the NFL?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsW9MlYu31g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 10:32 AM

This is absolutely nonsensical. There is a long, detailed PED policy in the CBA, which doesn't include anything about having to go before anyone to disprove an allegation that was made then withdrawn.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Every other person in the world has to report to the bosses office when he calls or you get fired ..... period. It doesn't matter why you are called to his office, it can just be that he doesn't like you ... you go.

These sports athlete seem to think that they are too important to have a boss. The rules don't apply to them.

Everyone hates Goodell but if the teams/players would just follow the rules and defer to their boss, 99% of this shit wouldn't happen.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Every other person in the world has to report to the bosses office when he calls or you get fired ..... period. It doesn't matter why you are called to his office, it can just be that he doesn't like you ... you go.

These sports athlete seem to think that they are too important to have a boss. The rules don't apply to them.

Everyone hates Goodell but if the teams/players would just follow the rules and defer to their boss, 99% of this shit wouldn't happen.

Ugh. You really don't understand unions do you?

Mr. Laz
08-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Ugh. You really don't understand unions do you?
The fact that a bunch of millionaire have a union is a fucking joke to begin with.

Teachers need unions
factory workers need unions

Pro athletes need diapers these days.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 10:43 AM
The fact that a bunch of millionaire have a union is a fucking joke to begin with.

Teachers need unions

Ugh, you really don't understand unions do you?

I guess you enjoy player holdouts and stuff. That part of the game is sooo much fun. And there would be so much more of it without the CBA. But you're too dense to get that, apparently.

BlackOp
08-16-2016, 10:43 AM
The fact that a bunch of millionaire have a union is a ****ing joke to begin with.

Teachers need unions

You dont think the owners would be exploiting them with out their union...yeah right. Their salaries would be much lower..while the NFL is still raking in billions. They would have 20 game seasons if they could...

Worker exploitation happens on all levels.....

Mr. Laz
08-16-2016, 10:46 AM
You dont think the owners would be exploiting them with out their union...yeah right. They would have 20 game seasons if they could...
The limited job pool is the only reason to have a Union.

They are still a bunch of panzy bitches. If they every had to hold a real job they would understand that.

BlackOp
08-16-2016, 10:48 AM
The limited job pool is the only reason to have a Union.

They are still a bunch of panzy bitches. If they every had to hold a real job they would understand that.

If you were the most vital part of a company's success... making 9 billion annually....wouldn't you expect to be compensated in proportion to your contributions?

You would...dont lie.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 11:23 AM
So here's the rub, in a nutshell. Here is when the CBA provides for when the NFL can discipline players for PED abuse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_te8KVUAAYdCq.jpg:large

Pretty specific no?

But now, the NFL basically says "or any time you won't talk to us when we want to talk to you about ANY allegation ANYONE has made that you used drugs. Article 46 bitches. EAT IT."

And you wonder why the NFLPA has trust issues. Never mind the tens of millions fo dollars the NFL tried to steal by denying the NFLPA their cut under the CBA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/arbitrator-forces-nfl-to-return-more-than-100-million-to-salary-pool/

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 11:26 AM
The Brady homer has blown this up into some long debate about the CBA.

It's not real complicated. The CEO wants to speak to his employees about an issue concerning a report that mentioned them. The subject of the report does not matter. Any report that is deemed detrimental according to Goodell is all it takes for him to be involved. He has that power like it or not. The NFLPA will be there and he is the boss so what is the problem? It's a conversation only.

In what world do employees tell the boss "No, I'm not going to talk to you".

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 12:05 PM
The Brady homer has blown this up into some long debate about the CBA.

It's not real complicated. The CEO wants to speak to his employees about an issue concerning a report that mentioned them. The subject of the report does not matter. Any report that is deemed detrimental according to Goodell is all it takes for him to be involved. He has that power like it or not. The NFLPA will be there and he is the boss so what is the problem? It's a conversation only.

In what world do employees tell the boss "No, I'm not going to talk to you".

A world governed by a contract that covers, in precise detail, how PED-related matters are handled.

You don't understand unions. You don't understand collectively bargained for RIGHTS.

And when the NFL players go on strike (or are locked out) after 2020, you will cry and say you don't understand that either, just get back to work you overpaid whiners.

Sigh.

Let me slow down and explain -- a COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT is a contract between an employer and a workforce. It governs many aspects of the employer-employee relationship, and CHANGES THE BASIC, FUNDAMENTAL RULES WHICH ORDINARILY APPLY. That is the entire purpose of a union, and a CBA.

You guys then say "no employee would do this?!?" Well, yeah, they don't have a CBA, so they are (in the United States at least), employees at will. They can be hired and fired for any reason or no reason, so long as it is not a discriminatory reason.

The CBA changes that basic fact. And it covers FAR more than compensation. In fact, it covers pretty much every aspect of the employment relationship.

So ANY argument you make about "a regular employee can't do this" is completely invalid becuase the players AND THE TEAMS, THROUGH THE NFL agreed to a lengthy, complicated contract that governs the terms of their employee/employer relationship.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 12:11 PM
The NFL's CBA is 254 pages long, or 300 pages including exhibits. The current version is the product of many neogtiations over many years, and MANY millions of dollars of legal fees paid.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

But some fucking geniuses on here think that despite all this, NFL players can and should be handled the same way as, and have no more rights than, a fucking barber shop employee. :shake:

Chiefshrink
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM

The golden boy syndrome is what I am referring to. Untouchable when your reputation gets to that stratosphere.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 12:23 PM
I do note, however, that due to the Brady and Peterson rulings, the NFL probably can suspend the players. Article 46 apparently, trumps all.

Which is why there will be a strike/lockout. The extent to which Article 46 can be abused has no practical limits, and there is no reason the NFLPA can or should accept that.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 12:31 PM
So here's the rub, in a nutshell. Here is when the CBA provides for when the NFL can discipline players for PED abuse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_te8KVUAAYdCq.jpg:large

Pretty specific no?

But now, the NFL basically says "or any time you won't talk to us when we want to talk to you about ANY allegation ANYONE has made that you used drugs. Article 46 bitches. EAT IT."

And you wonder why the NFLPA has trust issues. Never mind the tens of millions fo dollars the NFL tried to steal by denying the NFLPA their cut under the CBA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/arbitrator-forces-nfl-to-return-more-than-100-million-to-salary-pool/

As you see below and like I said before Roger gets to decide what is detrimental to the game. It's his opinion that he needs to have a conversation with them and he has the power to do so. Note the "Public Confidence" reference. "Note the Stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance"

This is the paragraph that gives him everything. Does it suck? For the players it does for sure but this is what the owners all fought for so bashing him for doing what they want him to do is not really fair.

15. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and professional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or professional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to
262 fine Player in a reasonable amount; to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely; and/or to terminate this contract.

BigCatDaddy
08-16-2016, 01:15 PM
When did the NFL clear Manning? I just remember a bunch of dumbasses bitching about the source.

threebag
08-16-2016, 01:25 PM
The A-Rod of the NFL

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 01:58 PM
As you see below and like I said before Roger gets to decide what is detrimental to the game. It's his opinion that he needs to have a conversation with them and he has the power to do so. Note the "Public Confidence" reference. "Note the Stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance"

This is the paragraph that gives him everything. Does it suck? For the players it does for sure but this is what the owners all fought for so bashing him for doing what they want him to do is not really fair.

Yes, as I stated above he probably does have the authority to suspend for conduct detrimental, based on the recent rulings. The question is whether one provision trumps literally everything else in the agreement. The answer seems to be "yes".

"bashing him for doing what they want him to do"? No, it's bashing him for what he does. The owners fought to give him plenty of power and authority, but is he using it wisely and fairly? I think many would argue that he is not. He's using it like a hammer when he could use it like a knife.

And for that reason if no other, (1) NFL/NFLPA relations are at/near an all-time low, and (2) I'd be shocked if there wasn't an extended and bitter strike/lockout after 2020, and I'll be on the players side for perhaps the first time in my life. The NFLPA must get an independent arbitrator to rule on this things, because they absolutely cannot trust Herr Kommissar to run a fair process.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Yes, as I stated above he probably does have the authority to suspend for conduct detrimental, based on the recent rulings. The question is whether one provision trumps literally everything else in the agreement. The answer seems to be "yes".

"bashing him for doing what they want him to do"? No, it's bashing him for what he does. The owners fought to give him plenty of power and authority, but is he using it wisely and fairly? I think many would argue that he is not. He's using it like a hammer when he could use it like a knife.

And for that reason if no other, (1) NFL/NFLPA relations are at/near an all-time low, and (2) I'd be shocked if there wasn't an extended and bitter strike/lockout after 2020, and I'll be on the players side for perhaps the first time in my life. The NFLPA must get an independent arbitrator to rule on this things, because they absolutely cannot trust Herr Kommissar to run a fair process.

The commish reports to the owners. If they wanted him to act differently then he would. He is acting the way they want him to act.

Amnorix
08-16-2016, 03:24 PM
The commish reports to the owners. If they wanted him to act differently then he would. He is acting the way they want him to act.

You think those 32 guys agree on everything?

BlackOp
08-16-2016, 03:42 PM
When did the NFL clear Manning? I just remember a bunch of dumbasses bitching about the source.

The moment he retired....

Manning sent goons to the guys house...to intimidate him. At that point, the reporter realized it wasn't worth it, financially, to go up against someone willing to hire ex-Bush aide Ari Fleischer as a crisis management expert. Manning went into full-on political shake-down mode. He didn't really have an axe to grind....so he recanted.

Peyton, knew, due having it his wife's name, protected them from deeper inquiry. They cant just dig into private medical records. It was always a contingency plan from the start....

So now..the NFL is accepting the report...with all the references to Manning blacked out. Money buys you out of anything in America....

If you follow the trail of events...it looks pretty obvious:

1. Colts believe Manning is beyond repair...after consulting with experts. Irsay said it was the hardest decision he's ever had to make...
2. Manning signs with Denver. A team that leads the NFL with documented cheating offenses. Their new GM was caught juking the salary cap in his final playing years. The plan was always to get Peyton one final trophy at all costs.
3. Manning, against the odds...comes back better than before. Throws for a record 55 TDs after "re-teaching" himself how of hold a football. This goes against all the medical experts opinion on his rehabilitation chances. He has magically proven science wrong...
4. NFL starts testing for HGH in October 2014...Manning's decline starts in the final month of the 2014 season.
5. Elway forces him to take a pay-cut...and they try to rest him as much as possible during the season.
6. Peyton has HGH shipped to house. There are only 3 rare conditions that allow for the treatment to be used...and what do know...his wife just happens have it...although nobody can verify this due to medical privacy laws.
7. Manning goes from being the best passer in history to the worst rated passer in the NFL in less than a year.
8. Manning hires goons to intimidate reporter at his house. Reporter recants. NFL goes cold on the story.
9. Manning retires
10. NFL reopens the report but omits Manning.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Of course not but they can come to agreements. They could easily hold a meeting and do something after a vote if they felt his actions were not in their interest. He will continue to act and use the power he has until they tell him otherwise.

You don't really think he does what he does without the majority of the owners support. All the Brady crap would have never happened if the owners didn't support it. But let's face it, they don't like Bill and what he did in the past that they believed screwed them over and Roger covered it up for his boy Kraft. They saw their chance to stick to them so they gave him a behind closed doors green light to be an asshole and he was.

Red Dawg
08-16-2016, 06:16 PM
The moment he retired....

Manning sent goons to the guys house...to intimidate him. At that point, the reporter realized it wasn't worth it, financially, to go up against someone willing to hire ex-Bush aide Ari Fleischer as a crisis management expert. Manning went into full-on political shake-down mode. He didn't really have an axe to grind....so he recanted.

Peyton, knew, due having it his wife's name, protected them from deeper inquiry. They cant just dig into private medical records. It was always a contingency plan from the start....

So now..the NFL is accepting the report...with all the references to Manning blacked out. Money buys you out of anything in America....

If you follow the trail of events...it looks pretty obvious:

1. Colts believe Manning is beyond repair...after consulting with experts. Irsay said it was the hardest decision he's ever had to make...
2. Manning signs with Denver. A team that leads the NFL with documented cheating offenses. Their new GM was caught juking the salary cap in his final playing years. The plan was always to get Peyton one final trophy at all costs.
3. Manning, against the odds...comes back better than before. Throws for a record 55 TDs after "re-teaching" himself how of hold a football. This goes against all the medical experts opinion on his rehabilitation chances. He has magically proven science wrong...
4. NFL starts testing for HGH in October 2014...Manning's decline starts in the final month of the 2014 season.
5. Elway forces him to take a pay-cut...and they try to rest him as much as possible during the season.
6. Peyton has HGH shipped to house. There are only 3 rare conditions that allow for the treatment to be used...and what do know...his wife just happens have it...although nobody can verify this due to medical privacy laws.
7. Manning goes from being the best passer in history to the worst rated passer in the NFL in less than a year.
8. Manning hires goons to intimidate reporter at his house. Reporter recants. NFL goes cold on the story.
9. Manning retires
10. NFL reopens the report but omits Manning.

Dead on point. Very likely.