PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do you stand with your hat off, heart covered, for the national anthem?

Nickhead
08-29-2016, 03:09 AM
even if you are alone in your living room watching the game on tv?

or is it like prayer at church. you only do it when others are watching?

i never liked being asked in church to lead prayer as a kid. it seemed too much like pandering to a wanting crowd.

:D

New World Order
08-29-2016, 03:40 AM
Not in my living room but if it's at a sporting event I stand, take my hat off and cover my heart.

Nickhead
08-29-2016, 03:52 AM
Not in my living room but if it's at a sporting event I stand, take my hat off and cover my heart.

i would too, but if a tree falls in the woods and...

listopencil
08-29-2016, 04:06 AM
Go look up flag etiquette.

Nickhead
08-29-2016, 04:15 AM
Go look up flag etiquette.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V7WxxTyeoNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
08-29-2016, 04:35 AM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V7WxxTyeoNY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Five seconds in and a dorky kid is saluting with no hat on. Stopped it there, did not watch.

Spott
08-29-2016, 04:54 AM
Not in my living room, but I can't remember the last time I heard it on TV. If I'm at the game I stand up and take my hat off, although I don't put my hand over my heart. For a while at baseball games they would randomly play God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch. I didn't stand up for that song but there is no protocol that requires you to stand up for it like there is the national anthem.

KCUnited
08-29-2016, 05:21 AM
Not if my helmet nachos are getting cold, but most every other time.

tx4chiefs
08-29-2016, 05:23 AM

Agreed. Not at home, but at an event.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2016, 05:55 AM
Not in my living room. But any public event. Yes

scho63
08-29-2016, 06:06 AM
Stand everywhere with hand on heart and never a hat on, even indoors during the Anthem. Never stand indoors.

Imagine trying to stand 10 times while watching all the games on a Sunday at a sports bar?

RealSNR
08-29-2016, 06:09 AM
I only ever take a shit during the national anthem. At home or in public.

Johnny Vegas
08-29-2016, 06:43 AM
And the home of the CHIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFSSSSSSSS...respect yo

Al Bundy
08-29-2016, 07:00 AM
I usually don't arrive until that stuff is over.

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 07:06 AM
In public, I stand still. If I have a hat on, I take it off. Hand or hat over the heart isn't hard and fast. I generally go with the crowd. My instinct it to put hand/hat over the heart, but I don't want to stick out like the sore-thumb pious guy if no one else around is doing so.

At home, I don't get up if sitting, but if the anthem starts, I stop whatever I'm doing to watch until it concludes, sitting or standing.

Al Bundy
08-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Also it is funny watching a bunch of people who scream "home of the Cheeeeeeeeefs" at the end get pissed off because some athlete doesn't stand for it.

TribalElder
08-29-2016, 07:21 AM
I sit in protest in hopes I get traded away from my shitty team - kaepernick

hometeam
08-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Im not a fan of the home of the chiefs. Needs to be home of the brave.

Always stand, hand over heart.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Not in the living room. At an event, I'll stand, usually arms at my side. I don't typically wear a hat, but if I do, it's just in my hand at my side.

Frosty
08-29-2016, 07:25 AM
I fast forward through it if I'm at home.

KCUnited
08-29-2016, 07:28 AM
If I've had a few, I'll try and sing along and usually get welled up at the bombing part.

BlackHelicopters
08-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Always stand, always hand over heart, indoors or out.

Donger
08-29-2016, 07:50 AM
I used to, but I'm not going to anymore.

ChiTown
08-29-2016, 07:53 AM
I used to, but I'm not going to anymore.

:clap:

You sitting down for the oppressed white man? God bless you........

Donger
08-29-2016, 08:15 AM
:clap:

You sitting down for the oppressed white man? God bless you........

No, there are some prairie dogs that are being forcibly relocated from their ancestral land because of construction near my house.

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
No, there are some prairie dogs that are being forcibly relocated from their ancestral land because of construction near my house.

PDLM?

oldandslow
08-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Yes, every time. Hat off. Hand over heart.

DJ's left nut
08-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Stand still; hands behind my back at parade rest.

Mostly a high school football habit that got further ingrained during a year I spent training with the ROTC folks (was considering JAG at the time and was working with them to ensure I could pass any needed performance tests).

Try as I might, I can never stay perfectly still. Again, just a football habit - that was pre-game hype time and I just go back to that nervous energy so I'm usually bouncing on the balls of my feet a bit.

ChiTown
08-29-2016, 08:31 AM
PDLM?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3HAYjfvNYgCjREUkXqE/giphy.gif

Great Expectations
08-29-2016, 08:33 AM
I stand at home and I make sure my boys do to who are pre K and K. Now if it comes on and I don't notice they make sure that everyone else is standing properly.

Fish
08-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Stand up in your own living room? How bizarre....

KCUnited
08-29-2016, 08:48 AM
When its my weekend with the girls, 8 and 2, I tell em last one standing gets beheaded. LMAO little fuckers be standing 2 hours before the game even starts.

Coyote
08-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Maggots, Lock your body at the position of attention at the sounding of the first note, remain so regardless of what manner of chaos and debauchery is occurring around you until the last note… or not:

36 U.S. Code 301 .
“….all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; ….”
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301
a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2)
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Molitoth
08-29-2016, 09:04 AM
It's my choice to not partake in the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance, #blacklivesmatter!

Har har.

Home of the CHIIIIEFS is my fav part.

wazu
08-29-2016, 09:05 AM
I usually stand even at home, but don't expect that from others. We really do have a badass national anthem. Love hearing it.

gblowfish
08-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Hell yeah. My dad was a Korean War Vet.

Fat Elvis
08-29-2016, 09:40 AM

About as bizarre as those dopes who give you the stink-eye because you are sitting down during a rendition of God Bless America in the middle of a game.

I swear, you could show a video of a waving flag on the Jumbotron, pair it with the theme to the Flintstones, and some knee-jerk nationalist will get bent out of shape over the fact that you don't have a tear in your eye over the flag.

Fat Elvis
08-29-2016, 09:45 AM
When its my weekend with the girls, 8 and 2, I tell em last one standing gets beheaded. LMAO little ****ers be standing 2 hours before the game even starts.

...and yet you wonder why your ex has residential custody.....

TLO
08-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Yes

Warrior5
08-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Yes.

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 11:04 AM

And you wonder why you can't headline at the Chuckle Hut

Fat Elvis
08-29-2016, 11:25 AM
And you wonder why you can't headline at the Chuckle Hut

Yeah. I'm sure in your world telling kids you're going to cut their heads off and calling them little fuckers is a laugh a minute.

Chief Pagan
08-29-2016, 11:27 AM
I fast forward through it if I'm at home.

I fast forward through everything until I see the kickoff, so...

This.

KCUnited
08-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Well, we'll see what the judge has to say about that after I tell him they aint been standing at there mamas.

Randallflagg
08-29-2016, 11:32 AM
I always stand and place my hand over my heart when it is a public event (not at home) and I remember the friends that I lost in Viet Nam and those guys that I graduated High School with who died in country as well. Out of my graduating class - we lost 7 guys. So, yeah, I look at it as an honor to be able to stand for the National Anthem.

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would say that when I stand, it's not because of some deep feeling of respect. It's just habit.

CapsLockKey
08-29-2016, 11:39 AM
In public, stand up and hat off. I rarely do the hand over heart thing. At home? Nope.

Frosty
08-29-2016, 11:43 AM
This is probably bad but I didn't even realize that the hand over the heart thing was expected until this year's Olympic brouhaha. I always stood at attention (sometimes parade rest). Oops.

Shekelsteinberg
08-29-2016, 11:45 AM
When I was a hat head, there wasn't anything you could do to get me take my hat off.

WhawhaWhat
08-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Home of the CHIIIIEFS is my fav part.

Me too. I love it.

BWillie
08-29-2016, 11:56 AM
I just take my hat off and stand. I have put my hand over my heart but not usually.

InChiefsHeaven
08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
When I was announcing for the Omaha Beef, I always had to tell people "Please rise and remove your hats for the presentation of the colors, and our National Anthem". Used to amaze me how quiet the arena was. Pretty cool.

Oh, and the Beef fans say Home of the BEEF...ripped it off from the Chiefs I'm sure, but it's still pretty cool.

underEJ
08-29-2016, 12:10 PM
I stand with focused attention out of respect and habit, but I don't put my hand over my heart. That kind of symbolism is military in nature. The flag code was created by a group led by the American Legion so that makes sense. For me, it does not feel sincere which I was taught was the intent of the gesture. I would rather garner a few looks from heart coverers than be insincere.

wazu
08-29-2016, 12:32 PM
This is probably bad but I didn't even realize that the hand over the heart thing was expected until this year's Olympic brouhaha. I always stood at attention (sometimes parade rest). Oops.

It used to be rare. It's relatively new that everyone does it. Seemed like the first I ever heard people mention was 10 years or so ago some right wing media were accusing Obama of being disrespectful for not doing it somewhere. I grew up with hand over heart for the pledge, but it was not a thing for the anthem.

Frosty
08-29-2016, 12:40 PM
I grew up with hand over heart for the pledge, but it was not a thing for the anthem.

That was my memory too. I was surprised when it became a thing at the Olympics. I guess I am behind the times.

Demonpenz
08-29-2016, 12:56 PM
AG

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 12:56 PM
That was my memory too. I was surprised when it became a thing at the Olympics. I guess I am behind the times.

I think body language as an American on the Olympic podium has been under scrutiny for nearly 50 years.

listopencil
08-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Maggots, Lock your body at the position of attention at the sounding of the first note, remain so regardless of what manner of chaos and debauchery is occurring around you until the last note… or not:

36 U.S. Code 301 .
“….all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; ….”
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301
a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2)
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Those are for the playing of the national anthem outdoors.

ThaVirus
08-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Also it is funny watching a bunch of people who scream "home of the Cheeeeeeeeefs" at the end get pissed off because some athlete doesn't stand for it.

I've been heavy in the Kaepernick thread and had never thought of that angle.

Many would consider that disrespectful or distasteful at least.

So weird.

When its my weekend with the girls, 8 and 2, I tell em last one standing gets beheaded. LMAO little fuckers be standing 2 hours before the game even starts.

LMAO

About as bizarre as those dopes who give you the stink-eye because you are sitting down during a rendition of God Bless America in the middle of a game.

I swear, you could show a video of a waving flag on the Jumbotron, pair it with the theme to the Flintstones, and some knee-jerk nationalist will get bent out of shape over the fact that you don't have a tear in your eye over the flag.

Also weird.

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Many would consider that disrespectful or distasteful at least.

Sure, but it's not intentionally provocative. It's a lazy lapse in judgment fueled by partisan enthusiasm, not a rejection of the anthem or flag.

It's the difference between coughing or giggling in a moment of silence and turning your back on the proceedings.

kccrow
08-29-2016, 01:28 PM
At public sporting events, yes, absolutely.

Fat Elvis
08-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Well, we'll see what the judge has to say about that after I tell him they aint been standing at there mamas.

My sarcasm meter was way off.

It is sad that I kind of expect this out of some CP members....

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 01:34 PM
My sarcasm meter was way off.

It is sad that I kind of expect this out of some CP members....

*cough*

Dave Lane
08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
even if you are alone in your living room watching the game on tv?

or is it like prayer at church. you only do it when others are watching?

i never liked being asked in church to lead prayer as a kid. it seemed too much like pandering to a wanting crowd.

No completely optional I usually stand.

Amnorix
08-29-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm rarely at a sporting event when the anthem is being played (I don't got to that many, and typically find myself at a concession stand durign that timeframe). But when I do, I stand, face the flag and remove any headgear. I never put my hand over my heart, and don't really remember that being a thing from when I was young and went to tons of football games with my dad.

ThaVirus
08-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Sure, but it's not intentionally provocative. It's a lazy lapse in judgment fueled by partisan enthusiasm, not a rejection of the anthem or flag.

It's the difference between coughing or giggling in a moment of silence and turning your back on the proceedings.

"A lazy lapse in judgement"? You're jumping through some serious hoops to try and justify this one.

Baby Lee
08-29-2016, 02:49 PM
"A lazy lapse in judgement"? You're jumping through some serious hoops to try and justify this one.

What hoops? Are you envisioning intentional disrespect towards the anthem? Because that's a hoop to jump through. They're getting a little rowdy and jumpy, ready for action, and they impede on the solemnity of the event, but it's unthinking in my estimation. If you have evidence that their sentiment is purposefully 'fuck the anthem and what it stands for' I'm all ears.

ThaVirus
08-29-2016, 03:01 PM
What hoops? Are you envisioning intentional disrespect towards the anthem? Because that's a hoop to jump through. They're getting a little rowdy and jumpy, ready for action, and they impede on the solemnity of the event, but it's unthinking in my estimation. If you have evidence that their sentiment is purposefully 'fuck the anthem and what it stands for' I'm all ears.

No, not at all. I don't imagine any malicious intent in this instance as I don't with Kaepernick's situation.

It's still an intentional modification of what's meant to be a symbolic representation of this country and all of its institutions, as you say.

I understand the difference between the two situations but it's curious that you'd describe this one as "rowdy" and "a lazy lapse in judgement" despite the fact that it's repeated at every home sporting event.

ThaVirus
08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
I really don't care much about changing "brave" to "Chiefs", but I wouldn't do it myself.

I guess I do think it is a little tasteless.

Pablo
08-29-2016, 03:19 PM
I will stand up and remove the hat and all that stuff at a game. Not a chance in hell I'm standing in my own home. I actually mute the anthem because most of the time it's sung like shit by whatever water buffalo they've got gargling the tune.

I'll do the obligatory stand and clap when they do their promotional service-man of the game.

GBA is ignored. Only goons get all worked up over that one.

ModSocks
08-29-2016, 03:25 PM
I do. Even in my living room. I stand up and take my hat off. Because America, that's why.

KCUnited
08-29-2016, 03:32 PM
We also do it any time Jackyl - I Stand Alone comes on. So like 3x a day in Illinois.

TribalElder
08-29-2016, 03:35 PM
We sit in protest to raise awareness of praying mantises in captivity

SCTrojan
08-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Stand at attention when they play the anthem at a public event. I don't put my hand over my heart. Don't do anything when I am at home.

Mr. Laz
08-29-2016, 03:52 PM
not at home
remove hat
don't usually cover heart though
usually also make some attempt to mouthed the correct words lol

DaFace
08-29-2016, 03:52 PM
At an event:
Hat off. Stand silently facing the flag. I've never understood the hand over heart thing.

At home:
Probably off grabbing a beer.

-King-
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
If I'm at an event, I'll stand up, and sometimes I remember to remove my hat sometimes I don't. Never have and never will put my hand over my chest.

And if I'm at home, I change the channel to something more interesting. If you stand up at home then you have issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

morphius
08-29-2016, 04:06 PM
At an event:
Hat off. Stand silently facing the flag. I've never understood the hand over heart thing.

At home:
Probably off grabbing a beer.

My 2 silver star winning Grandfather made a big deal about someone not putting their hand over their heart last summer, so I've started going that route.

R Clark
08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Always stand take your hat off hold over your heart.doesnt cost a thing and it's the right thing to do

Coyote
08-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Those are for the playing of the national anthem outdoors.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title36/pdf/USCODE-2011-title36-subtitleI-partA-chap3-sec301.pdf

Isn't your or Colin's or anybody else's interpretation of appropriate behavior during the anthem the point of the thread? Spirit vs. letter of the law as currently written. Frankly, I find it stupid that it is U.S. Code. Never heard of a guy at a sporting event or anywhere else being arrested by a federal agent or U.S. Marshall for violating it. The law doesn't say anything about "home of the Chiefs" as long as you're at attention with your headgear removed........

Rain Man
08-29-2016, 07:58 PM
In public, I'll remove my hat if I'm wearing one, and usually put it over my heart just so no veteran will kill me with piano wire.

In private, I'll try to face toward Fort McHenry but usually take no further action.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Always stand take your hat off hold over your heart.doesnt cost a thing and it's the right thing to do

What if you're holding beer in both hands ?????

SeeingRed
08-29-2016, 08:04 PM
In public yes

listopencil
08-29-2016, 10:46 PM
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title36/pdf/USCODE-2011-title36-subtitleI-partA-chap3-sec301.pdf

Isn't your or Colin's or anybody else's interpretation of appropriate behavior during the anthem the point of the thread? Spirit vs. letter of the law as currently written. Frankly, I find it stupid that it is U.S. Code. Never heard of a guy at a sporting event or anywhere else being arrested by a federal agent or U.S. Marshall for violating it. The law doesn't say anything about "home of the Chiefs" as long as you're at attention with your headgear removed........

It's called etiquette. Some people want to know what is the proper and appropriate way to behave in certain situations.

listopencil
08-29-2016, 10:48 PM
The hand over the heart thing is a way to salute when not in uniform, although from what I understand it is now appropriate for vets to salute when not in uniform.

redshirt32
08-29-2016, 10:58 PM
I do whever im at overseas or in US.

Repect the country you live in, you have the right not to in usa i get it.

Many people died for your right to do so!

But don't bring your flag in and start waving it and trying to insult the people you live around.
I don't do that abroad for obvious reasons.
Your not going to change America because you want to rewrite history.

listopencil
08-29-2016, 11:00 PM
I do whever im at overseas or in US.

Repect the country you live in, you have the right not to in usa i get it.

Many people died for your right to do so!

But don't bring your flag in and start waving it and trying to insult the people you live around.
I don't do that abroad for obvious reasons.
Your not going to change America because you want to rewrite history.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt because you're insane.

redshirt32
08-29-2016, 11:03 PM
I'm taking this with a grain of salt because you're insane.

You may be right, about the insane part LOL
ive benn to many places in the world act accordingly where ever you are.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2016, 11:19 PM
At an event: Hand over heart, face the flag (rarely wear a hat, as I have a full head of hair and it's generally too hot). No talking.

At Home:. It depends. If it's a World Series or early Olympic event, hand over heart and reverence. Generally too late to stand and I'm worn out after 50 Gold medals.

7th Innning Stretch during a World Series: I can't express how much I connect with "America The Beautiful". I don't think my opinion is unique but I do think it should be our national anthem. Depending on the performance, I've been known to shed a tear or two.

listopencil
08-29-2016, 11:24 PM
You may be right, about the insane part LOL
ive benn to many places in the world act accordingly where ever you are.

It's been a long time since I got my DD214 but I'll give it a try from memory:

If you're in the military and you're outside in uniform, when you honor the colors (taps, reveille, anthem, etc.) then you should be wearing a hat, stand at attention and face the flag if visible, the sound of the music if not visible, hold your salute from the first note to the last. If you're in the military and you're inside in uniform, when you honor the colors then you shouldn't be wearing a hat, stand at attention and face the flag if visible, the sound of the music if not visible, hold your posture from the first note to the last. Recently I have heard that it is now considered appropriate for veterans to render a salute when covered while honoring the colors even when not in uniform.

The hand over your heart thing is what military guys did when not in uniform to replace the salute when outdoors. Civilians have picked up on that and followed the cue from them. Over radio and television you are not considered to be physically close enough to honor the colors. You may do it in your living room if you wish but you are not obliged by custom or by rules of etiquette to do so.

Demonpenz
08-30-2016, 12:13 AM
We also do it any time Jackyl - I Stand Alone comes on. So like 3x a day in Illinois.

LMAO God Damnit you know damn well that is Godsmack

|Zach|
08-30-2016, 12:23 AM
Answer to the original thread title.

Yes.

Coyote
08-30-2016, 06:42 AM

If you're in the military and you're outside in uniform, when you honor the colors (taps, reveille, anthem, etc.) then you should be wearing a hat, stand at attention and face the flag if visible, the sound of the music if not visible, hold your salute from the first note to the last. If you're in the military and you're inside in uniform, when you honor the colors then you shouldn't be wearing a hat, stand at attention and face the flag if visible, the sound of the music if not visible, hold your posture from the first note to the last. Recently I have heard that it is now considered appropriate for veterans to render a salute when covered while honoring the colors even when not in uniform.

The hand over your heart thing is what military guys did when not in uniform to replace the salute when outdoors. Civilians have picked up on that and followed the cue from them. Over radio and television you are not considered to be physically close enough to honor the colors. You may do it in your living room if you wish but you are not obliged by custom or by rules of etiquette to do so.

I've provided you the reference to the law twice. Your etiquette/rules in Doug's Den for Men Bronco fan club is just that: yours. The stuff above is not on your or anybody else's DD 214.

luv
08-30-2016, 07:49 AM
I've always heard that women do not have to uncover their heads. I can't remember the reasoning. Maybe it was from prayer time when I went to church. Who knows. I typically wear a hat to ball games, and I always take it off for the national anthem, even those my hair looks like crap. :)

If I'm at home, I don't stand or take off a hat (if I happen to be wearing one, which I'm usually not), but I do remain quiet or sing along.

luv
08-30-2016, 08:05 AM
What do you do if you're in public, but inside someplace like a sports bar?

alnorth
08-30-2016, 08:22 AM
In the stadium, yes. Outside the stadium, no.

I don't do shit for "God Bless America", I don't understand why a lot of people treat that like the national anthem.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2016, 08:26 AM
In the stadium, I do it because you get hassled if you don't.

At home, nope.

alnorth
08-30-2016, 08:37 AM
As far as home or a bar goes and why you shouldn't do the same thing then, to me the difference is whether you can see the actual flag. Not an image of the flag. If you can't see the flag, you don't have to do anything.

Randallflagg
08-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Indeed.

I remember, both as a kid (the old man was a lifer) and as an Active Duty Service member myself - when on Post - at 5PM - you stopped your car, got out and saluted the direction of the flag. Hell, after I changed MOS and wore civilian clothes every day, I STILL stopped the car, stepped out and saluted in the direction of the flag. Just seemed "right" to me...

Coyote
08-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Indeed.

I remember, both as a kid (the old man was a lifer) and as an Active Duty Service member myself - when on Post - at 5PM - you stopped your car, got out and saluted the direction of the flag. Hell, after I changed MOS and wore civilian clothes every day, I STILL stopped the car, stepped out and saluted in the direction of the flag. Just seemed "right" to me...

That was/is "right" for a soldier or airman on "post" at 1700 evening colors. Navy and Marine evening colors go globally on bases and stations at official sunset, so different etiquettes. Morning colors globally go at 0800 local, most army/ USAF installations go closer to sunrise. Naval services do not salute uncovered. That is partially why the law is written as it is to accommodate various etiquettes and veterans, etc.

underEJ
08-30-2016, 12:37 PM
I've always heard that women do not have to uncover their heads. I can't remember the reasoning. Maybe it was from prayer time when I went to church. Who knows. I typically wear a hat to ball games, and I always take it off for the national anthem, even those my hair looks like crap. :)

If I'm at home, I don't stand or take off a hat (if I happen to be wearing one, which I'm usually not), but I do remain quiet or sing along.

Women don't have to because of hatpins and hairdos in the era it was created. Most women in casual or sporting hats these days do take them off anyway. I never wear hats, but I'm pretty sure I'd take mine off if I did.

Rain Man
08-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Women don't have to because of hatpins and hairdos in the era it was created. Most women in casual or sporting hats these days do take them off anyway. I never wear hats, but I'm pretty sure I'd take mine off if I did.

That doesn't seem like a valid reason from a patriotism standpoint. Soldiers went ashore at D-Day and you can't take out a bobby pin or two?

Randallflagg
08-30-2016, 01:07 PM
That was/is "right" for a soldier or airman on "post" at 1700 evening colors. Navy and Marine evening colors go globally on bases and stations at official sunset, so different etiquettes. Morning colors globally go at 0800 local, most army/ USAF installations go closer to sunrise. Naval services do not salute uncovered. That is partially why the law is written as it is to accommodate various etiquettes and veterans, etc.

Thanks! My Brother was a Master Gunnery Sergeant and I a CW3. AS for the "uncovered" portion, it was basically the same in the Army, of course, if you were "uncovered" and outside, you were out of uniform anyway - :)

Thanks for the info!

Spott
08-30-2016, 01:29 PM
In the stadium, I do it because you get hassled if you don't.

At home, nope.

That's the only reason I take my hat off during the anthem. Every now and then someone leaves it on and some drunk redneck will start hassling them.

displacedinMN
08-30-2016, 03:08 PM
always do.

underEJ
08-30-2016, 03:50 PM
That doesn't seem like a valid reason from a patriotism standpoint. Soldiers went ashore at D-Day and you can't take out a bobby pin or two?

I can, but it isn't 1940 something and I haven't spent an hour pinning a perfectly jaunty faux military hat to my two hour professional updo with victory curls!

stevieray
08-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Listo nailed it....see the 2nd LT in the Olympics stop his pole vault approach when the Anthem played.

...@Arrowhead...I stand at attention and salute.