PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How to Build A Super Bowl Winner - Part 1

frozenchief
08-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Good article from Football Outsiders on what it takes to build a Super Bowl winning team. I'd include the whole article but: 1) it's long, and 2) it includes tables which tend to get messed up in formatting.

Here's the intro:

While the NFL would love to promote every team as having an equal opportunity of winning the Super Bowl, we know the odds are rarely ever 1-in-32. Recent history is a solid predictor of which teams have a much higher or much lower chance of going the distance this season.
The Oakland Raiders are a trendy dark horse in 2016, but should you really trust a team that went 7-9 in 2015 and has not had a winning season since 2002? In the DVOA era (since 1989), 39 of the 54 Super Bowl participants (72.2 percent) made the playoffs in the previous season. Only six teams (11.1 percent) followed a losing season with a Super Bowl appearance. This sounded good a day ago for the Minnesota Vikings, another trendy 2016 pick, but the terrible news about Teddy Bridgewater's torn ACL puts a real damper on their season before it even starts.
But even if Bridgewater was healthy, are the Vikings really great enough on either side of the ball to be a top contender? Last season, Minnesota finished 16th in offensive DVOA and 14th on defense. Strong special teams (ranked fourth) aside, that is average at worst and balanced at best.
Is balance really the best model for building a championship team? A look at all Super Bowl winners or the recent DVOA dynasty in Seattle would suggest an obvious answer. However, in the salary-cap era, building and sustaining a team with great players on both sides of the ball is tougher. Only 26 teams in the DVOA era have finished in the top five in both offense and defense. The first three teams to do so (1989 49ers, 1991 Redskins, and 1992 Cowboys) all won the Super Bowl, but the last dozen teams have compiled an 0-4 Super Bowl record.
While balance sounds great, the Broncos did just win Super Bowl 50 with the No. 25 offense and No. 1 defense. The only other champion since 1989 with that much imbalance also featured Peyton Manning at quarterback, but the 2006 Colts paired the No. 1 offense with the No. 25 defense.
So how should a team go about building a Super Bowl winner today? There may always be alternative methods, but over this three-part study we will identify the trends that were most significant in helping achieve the ultimate goal of every NFL team.

article is here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/building-super-bowl-winner-part-i

Halfcan
08-31-2016, 02:25 PM
DVOA era?

frozenchief
08-31-2016, 02:29 PM
DVOA era?

Seasons since at least 1991 when they began their play-by-play analysis, although I think they have been going back and creating DVOA statistics for seasons prior to 1991.

Hydrae
08-31-2016, 02:35 PM
DVOA era?

It's a Football Outsiders stat. You can read a lot more about the details here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#DVOA

Halfcan
08-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Elite defense paired with a dominating running game-wins championships.

TribalElder
08-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Buy off the refs and league office

Super Bowl

Gadzooks
08-31-2016, 03:42 PM
It's simple - Cheat the cap. Dallas has done it. 49ers did it 94. Heck, Denver just finished doing it.

Red Dawg
08-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Video tape other teams signals, steal their playbooks and give your defense their offensive audibles.

jjchieffan
08-31-2016, 04:28 PM
Or just sign an over the hill league golden boy and the league will gift wrap it for you as his parting gift. But be prepared for 5-11 the following season when your team is exposed for the fraud it is.

listopencil
08-31-2016, 06:39 PM
While balance sounds great, the Broncos did just win Super Bowl 50 with the No. 25 offense and No. 1 defense. The only other champion since 1989 with that much imbalance also featured Peyton Manning at quarterback, but the 2006 Colts paired the No. 1 offense with the No. 25 defense.

Huh. That's really a weird bit of statistics there isn't it?

Dayze
08-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Buy off the refs and league office

Super Bowl

LMAO
no shit right there.

The Super Bowls have sucked ass since probably 2000.

though, I did enjoy the Steelers / Cards

Sofa King
08-31-2016, 08:08 PM
LMAO
no shit right there.

You didn't enjoy the Broncos seahawks game? I loved that one, personally.

Mile High Mania
09-01-2016, 09:19 AM
It's simple - Cheat the cap. Dallas has done it. 49ers did it 94. Heck, Denver just finished doing it.

Wait... Denver just cheated the cap? How so?

Amnorix
09-01-2016, 09:22 AM
LMAO
no shit right there.

Sucked ass why? Just because your team wasn't in it? I mean, there have been some damn exciting, crazy Super Bowls in the last 16 years.

Hell, were you around for the 80s and early 90s, when the NFC team basically blew out the AFC team year after year?

Mile High Mania
09-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Sucked ass why? Just because your team wasn't in it? I mean, there have been some damn exciting, crazy Super Bowls in the last 16 years.

Hell, were you around for the 80s and early 90s, when the NFC team basically blew out the AFC team year after year?

Yeah, those late 80s were freaking miserable... and then the Bills came around and made it worse.