PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Week 1 - biggest surprises?

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 08:09 AM
The kickoff to the season is roughly 60 hours away... lots of interesting storylines. What do you think will be the biggest surprises?

Panthers @ Broncos (TNF)
Vikings @ Titans
Browns @ Eagles
Chargers @ Chiefs
Bucs @ Falcons
Packers @ Jaguars
Giants @ Cowboys
Patriots @ Cardinals (SNF)
Bears @ Texans
Bills @ Ravens
Raiders @ Saints
Bengals @ Jets
Dolphins @ Seahawks
Lions @ Colts
Steelers @ Redskins (MNF 1)
Rams @ 49ers (MNF 2)

I think the Jags will defeat the Packers in FL - which may not be a huge surprise considering their talent level and the location.

I do think the Broncos will win by 3 (23-20 or 16-13), which will surprise many.

And, I think the Raiders beat the Saints in N'Awlins...

What ya' got? And, no this is NOT going to be a weekly thing, I'm done with all that. Just excited that we're back to real football.

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 08:12 AM
And, from a fantasy perspective ... who are the 2-3 players that will come from out of nowhere to create havoc and mass bidding across leagues everywhere? It's funny to watch that happen every year. I think 1 for every 4 'early week' studs pans out to be worth a damn.

Frosty
09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
I think there is a fair chance that the Dolphins beat Seattle. The Seahawks are still sorting out their o-line. The starting offense has not looked good through the preseason.

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 08:16 AM
I think there is a fair chance that the Dolphins beat Seattle. The Seahawks are still sorting out their o-line. The starting offense has not looked good through the preseason.

Safe to say that would be a HUGE shock... I kinda also think the Browns can win @ PHI, but that game has total suckage written all over it.

And, from a FFL perspective, I'll bet that Dak does really well in the home opener vs NY and people will wet themselves trying to pick him up or trade for him. Sell high, if you have him.

BleedingRed
09-06-2016, 08:18 AM
Giants @ Cowboys (Cowboys Win big) - That counts as a surprise right?

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Giants @ Cowboys (Cowboys Win big) - That counts as a surprise right?

I'll happily say that yeah, that would be a surprise. I hate that team and have loved their failures in recent decades. They do have a nice OL and solid weapons though, Dak has looked good.

brucey_72
09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
49ers score an offensive touchdown

ThaVirus
09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Probably not huge surprises now given recent circumstances but Titans over Vikings, Browns over Eagles and Lions over Colts.

thabear04
09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Safe to say that would be a HUGE shock... I kinda also think the Browns can win @ PHI, but that game has total suckage written all over it.

And, from a FFL perspective, I'll bet that Dak does really well in the home opener vs NY and people will wet themselves trying to pick him up or trade for him. Sell high, if you have him.

Yeah I was bout to say Browns winning.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Mule Tools won't be passive aggressive after their dreams end week 1

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Mule Tools won't be passive aggressive after their dreams end week 1

There it is! Nothing passive aggressive with this one, butthead.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-06-2016, 08:32 AM
That's the surprise!

Amnorix
09-06-2016, 08:39 AM

Don't think the Dolphins are real. Don't think they're close to real. Don't think they are in teh same zip code as real.

I like Tannehill, but they have a serious talent deficit pretty much everywhere else.

KC_Lee
09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Two "surprising" predictions;

Browns @ Eagles - the Browns run up 40 points to the Eagles

Bucs @ Falcons - Winston breaks the single game passing yards record.

MahiMike
09-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Jets over bengals. Dalton gets hurt.

Hydrae
09-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Probably not huge surprises now given recent circumstances but Titans over Vikings, Browns over Eagles and Lions over Colts.

I agree with the first two but just don't see the Lions beating the Colts. If they do that WILL be a surprise!

Rain Man
09-06-2016, 09:23 AM
I guess my biggest surprise would be if Aqib Talib plays. I just read that he hasn't been formally suspended yet. You know, for having a gun in a strip club. And then shooting it. And hitting himself. And hiding afterwards while he came up with an alibi. And then saying that he was too drunk to remember shooting it. And then being caught with marijuana afterward.

You know, that incident. The one that any player in the league other than Peyton Manning would be suspended indefinitely for.

threebag
09-06-2016, 09:30 AM
I can't stand Mile HiGH Manning, glad he is gone.

RobBlake
09-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Browns should have a 5-7 win season I think and bucs can be a wild card

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 09:55 AM
I guess my biggest surprise would be if Aqib Talib plays. I just read that he hasn't been formally suspended yet. You know, for having a gun in a strip club. And then shooting it. And hitting himself. And hiding afterwards while he came up with an alibi. And then saying that he was too drunk to remember shooting it. And then being caught with marijuana afterward.

You know, that incident. The one that any player in the league other than Peyton Manning would be suspended indefinitely for.

Yeah, I'm waiting for that suspension to happen... history says it should be expected, given everything that you pointed out.

But, let's not divert the focus here.

NWTF
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Probable upsets
Broncos over Panthers
Bills over Ravens
Raiders over Saints
Browns over Eagles
Bucs over Falcons
Giants over Cowboys
Lions over Colts

Locks
Chiefs
Seahawks
Texans

THURSDAY, SEP. 08

Carolina at Denver — 8:30 pm (Panthers -3, Over/Under 41)

SUNDAY, SEP. 11

Buffalo at Baltimore — 1:00 pm (Baltimore -3, Over/Under 44)
Green Bay at Jacksonville — 1:00 pm (Green Bay -5, Over/Under 48)
San Diego at Kansas City — 1:00 pm (Kansas City -7, Over/Under 44.5)
Oakland at New Orleans — 1:00 pm (New Orleans -1, Over/Under 51)
Chicago at Houston — 1:00 pm (Houston -6, Over/Under 44.5)
Cleveland at Philadelphia — 1:00 pm (Philadelphia -5, Over/Under 43)
Minnesota at Tennessee — 1:00 pm (OFF)
Tampa Bay at Atlanta — 1:00 pm (Atlanta -3, Over/Under 47.5)
Cincinnati at N.Y. Jets — 1:00 pm (Cincinnati -2, Over/Under 41.5)
Miami at Seattle — 4:05 pm (Seattle -10, Over/Under 44)
N.Y. Giants at Dallas — 4:25 pm (Dallas -1, Over/Under 46)
Detroit at Indianapolis — 4:25 pm (Indianapolis -4, Over/Under 50.5)
New England at Arizona — 8:30 pm (Arizona -6, Over/Under 47.5)

MONDAY, SEP. 12

Pittsburgh at Washington — 7:10 pm (Pittsburgh -3, Over/Under 50)
L.A. Rams at San Francisco — 10:20 pm (Rams -2.5, Over/Under 4

Rain Man
09-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for that suspension to happen... history says it should be expected, given everything that you pointed out.

But, let's not divert the focus here.

I just can't figure it out. You probably keep up more than I do, but are they waiting for a criminal investigation or something? I just can't believe that the league hasn't taken action yet unless something else is afoot.

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 10:20 AM
I just can't figure it out. You probably keep up more than I do, but are they waiting for a criminal investigation or something? I just can't believe that the league hasn't taken action yet unless something else is afoot.

I don't know how all of this works. Makes me wonder though if the 'rumors' of them shopping Talib are real. I figure they have to be real, hell they'll save $10M by cutting him next year. They have a strong trio back there as it is and good depth, so trading him now and possibly avoiding a suspension makes sense. Also, makes the task of finding a trading partner harder.

I don't know that the league has to wait for a criminal investigation to come to a close or not, I don't think that it does. My guess is that they are waiting to see what the DPD does, or if they can validate the actual happenings of that night. I doubt they can suspend him and have it upheld without any real facts.

Drunk, strip club, guns... all the dots should add up, but who knows what the real story is with this one.

CaliforniaChief
09-06-2016, 10:26 AM
I also think the Broncos will win on TNF. That defense is so good.

Raiders will flop at New Orleans. I think the Saints are going to light them up, honestly.

I'm picking a Chiefs win, but a very close game.

RunKC
09-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Browns upset the Eagles.

Red Dawg
09-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Jax will beat GB. Put it down.

The Franchise
09-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Redskins beat the Steelers.

jjchieffan
09-06-2016, 11:53 AM
If the Donks game is even close I will be shocked. I'm expecting the Panthers to win by a blowout.

Rain Man
09-06-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't know how all of this works. Makes me wonder though if the 'rumors' of them shopping Talib are real. I figure they have to be real, hell they'll save $10M by cutting him next year. They have a strong trio back there as it is and good depth, so trading him now and possibly avoiding a suspension makes sense. Also, makes the task of finding a trading partner harder.

I don't know that the league has to wait for a criminal investigation to come to a close or not, I don't think that it does. My guess is that they are waiting to see what the DPD does, or if they can validate the actual happenings of that night. I doubt they can suspend him and have it upheld without any real facts.

Drunk, strip club, guns... all the dots should add up, but who knows what the real story is with this one.

Yeah, if you don't know if the suspension will be for a week or a year, it pretty much negates trade value, I bet.

They suspended the Pittsburgh Rapist before any criminal proceedings if I remember right, but then again that was before Tom Terrific took them to court. Maybe they're changing their modus operendi. It seems like a pretty open and shut case with Talib.

Rain Man
09-06-2016, 12:15 PM
If the Donks game is even close I will be shocked. I'm expecting the Panthers to win by a blowout.

Because Cam hasn't been given orders to throw the game? (Nodding thoughtfully.)

Yeah, I suspect that Carolina will unleash the hounds on the Broncos and their simian quarterback.

Kiimo
09-06-2016, 12:26 PM
And, from a fantasy perspective ... who are the 2-3 players that will come from out of nowhere to create havoc and mass bidding across leagues everywhere? It's funny to watch that happen every year. I think 1 for every 4 'early week' studs pans out to be worth a damn.

Marvin Jones is one.

Mile High Mania
09-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Yeah, if you don't know if the suspension will be for a week or a year, it pretty much negates trade value, I bet.

They suspended the Pittsburgh Rapist before any criminal proceedings if I remember right, but then again that was before Tom Terrific took them to court. Maybe they're changing their modus operendi. It seems like a pretty open and shut case with Talib.

To be fair, the rape thing was on a different level of bad.

Easy 6
09-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Jets over bengals. Dalton gets hurt.

This wouldnt shock me at all... just like Dungy in Tampa, Marvin Lewis has taken that team as far as he is going to IMO

Mile High Mania
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Marvin Jones is one.

That would be nice, he's my fifth WR...

DC.chief
09-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Skins over Steelers - Cousins throws for over 400

Titans over Vikings - murray and king henry each go for 100+ and a TD

Saints over Raiders - Turnovers baby + big games from Ingram and Cooks

MMXcalibur
09-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Browns over Eagles
Titans over Vikings

Halfcan
09-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I will be surprised if the Donks don't lose by three scores.

Same for the Chargers.

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 02:44 PM
This wouldnt shock me at all... just like Dungy in Tampa, Marvin Lewis has taken that team as far as he is going to IMO

i predict the bengals fall flat too. burfect may go last boyscout in week one. no playoffs, lewis gone.

Al Bundy
09-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Buccaneers win BIG over Falcons in Atlanta.

vailpass
09-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Denver beats Carolina handily.

rico
09-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Marvin Jones is one.

I agree.

Tajae Sharpe is another.

jjchieffan
09-07-2016, 02:57 PM

THAT would definitely be a surprise.

Garcia Bronco
09-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Thr investigation is over. He didn't do anything wrong according to police.

Mile High Mania
09-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Thr investigation is over. He didn't do anything wrong according to police.

Depends on who they determined had/fired the gun and where. Strict gun law in regards to bars and I doubt he's licensed in TX.

DC.chief
09-07-2016, 03:16 PM
I agree.

Tajae Sharpe is another.

I'm with ya on Sharpe. Kendall Wright is out week 1 too. I'm very tempted to start Sharpe in my flex spot.

It's a gamble but could pay off big. Outside of sharpe they have rishard mathews and 70 year old andre johnson

Dave Lane
09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
49ers score an offensive touchdown

Alex busts 200 yards passing. I'm going full homer damn it!

Garcia Bronco
09-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Depends on who they determined had/fired the gun and where. Strict gun law in regards to bars and I doubt he's licensed in TX.

They dont know. Talib has been regarded as a victim so it doesnt sound like they think he did.

vailpass
09-07-2016, 03:24 PM
THAT would definitely be a surprise.

Not to me. Not to Vegas either.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Denver and New E both start 0 and 3

NWTF
09-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Not to me. Not to Vegas either.

Vegas has the Panthers -3 so a blowout win by the Broncos would be a surprise to Vegas.

vailpass
09-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Vegas has the Panthers -3 so a blowout win by the Broncos would be a surprise to Vegas.

True. I did say handily didn't I? I meant a straight win wouldn't be a surprise to vegas.

Come on man, I haven't been able to talk any smack on this board for a few years now ya' gotta' let me run a little bit.

NWTF
09-07-2016, 03:53 PM
True. I did say handily didn't I? I meant a straight win wouldn't be a surprise to vegas.

Come on man, I haven't been able to talk any smack on this board for a few years now ya' gotta' let me run a little bit.

Sure, straight up, close win.

If it makes you feel any better I did list Denver over Carolina as a probable upset on an earlier post.

Titty Meat
09-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Chargers always play it close at Arrowhead

Easy 6
09-07-2016, 04:46 PM
I've made all my picks for the week except one, Rams @ Niners... just cant get a good feel for this one

Would love to hear what some of you fine folks think about that one... is Fishers defense and Case Keenum good enough to go in there and steal one in their first road game?

Considering this is Kellys first year there, and its a threadbare roster I'm leaning yes, what say you?

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 05:19 PM
I've made all my picks for the week except one, Rams @ Niners... just cant get a good feel for this one

Would love to hear what some of you fine folks think about that one... is Fishers defense and Case Keenum good enough to go in there and steal one in their first road game?

Considering this is Kellys first year there, and its a threadbare roster I'm leaning yes, what say you?

i would go rams myself. you cant teach second string players to play like first string.

TribalElder
09-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Broncos are gonna get beat down

NWTF
09-07-2016, 05:39 PM

Id go Rams.

Easy 6
09-07-2016, 05:53 PM
i would go rams myself. you cant teach second string players to play like first string.

Id go Rams.

I'm sold, Fisher can at least count on his nasty defense to carry the day against Kellys noobs and nobodies

HemiEd
09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Redskins beat the Steelers.

My pick as well

HemiEd
09-07-2016, 08:16 PM

homer