O.city
09-07-2016, 09:35 AM
https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4#.szm4f3ee5

Interesting read.

The Franchise
09-07-2016, 09:38 AM
1. Get rid of preseason games.
2. Bring back a developmental league.
3. Get rid of the practice rules from the new CBA.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Last year, for some reason I took shit for suggesting that the shortened preseason was contributing to a lot of the acl injuries. Offseason conditioning is no substitute for practice and supervised conditioning programs. I agree, bringing a normal offseason will both lead to better football and less injuries.

O.city
09-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Well, it's a cache 22. They need the practice time, but with the cte stuff, everyone's terrified.

I'm starting to see an expiration date on the nfl.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-07-2016, 10:19 AM

All these

Lzen
09-07-2016, 02:25 PM
1. Shorten preseason.

FYP

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 02:34 PM

when did colleges stop playing football?

Pasta Little Brioni
09-07-2016, 03:38 PM

:shake:

RealSNR
09-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Well, it's a cache 22. They need the practice time, but with the cte stuff, everyone's terrified.

"Cache 22"

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2016, 03:43 PM

College football is why QBs and O-Linemen have been behind the developmental curve: especially QBs.

The spread combined with looking at the sideline for playcalls and audibles makes it easier to plug in "throwers" of various levels of all around athleticism and pass them off as quarterbacks.

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 04:09 PM
College football is why QBs and O-Linemen have been behind the developmental curve: especially QBs.

The spread combined with looking at the sideline for playcalls and audibles makes it easier to plug in "throwers" of various levels of all around athleticism and pass them off as quarterbacks.

i was being sarcastic, and actually agree. i was saying the same to a coworker. there are veteran qb's that should not be in the league, and it hinders the younger ones taking a roster spot.

i say bring back the xfl :D

cosmo20002
09-07-2016, 04:32 PM
https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4#.szm4f3ee5

Interesting read.

Surely some truth in there, but one thing you can also always count on is current-day people saying things aren't as good as they used to be.

GloucesterChief
09-07-2016, 04:53 PM

That is the up tempo Oregon-Utah spread. The original spread is much more like the offense the Patriots run.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2016, 05:04 PM
That is the up tempo Oregon-Utah spread. The original spread is much more like the offense the Patriots run.

There are schools that use the same concepts but don't put the pedal to the metal like Oregon does.

kccrow
09-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Here would be my ideas for remedying this obvious issue...

1. Make changes to camps:
Make rookie camp 1 full week instead of 3 days.
Make minicamps 1 full week instead of the general 3 days.
Extend training camp rookie reporting to 10 days instead of 7.
In total, this gives coaches about 11 extra days with rookies to help prepare them for training camp.
Expand the number of hours per day in camp from 4 to 5, but keep the 3 hour max for a padded practice. Do not limit the pad-free practice to walk-through only, allow drills. This pretty well guarantees that teams will spend 3 hours per day in pads and at least another hour running drills, which will aid with development of players.

2. Reduce the number of preseason games, but not the length of preseason.
I'm not an advocate to reduce developmental time, but I am an advocate of eliminating the 4th preseason game. I don't think coaches gain much by throwing most of their roster cuts out there for a meaningless game.

3. Expand the roster by 3 players and practice squad by at least 2 players, allowing teams to actually develop players without having to toss them away.

4. On the subject of the practice squad, protect it from leaching from other teams exactly the same way the roster is set. You know, like other leagues protect developmental assets. This means, eliminate the waivers system with regard to players to be kept on the practice squad. Change rules for the practice squad to allow any player that's been in the league 4 or less years, rather than the "accrued season" crap they have now.

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 07:09 PM
what the owners need to do, is put a stop to all these pay increases until the collective bargaining is restructured where the players dont winge about offseason practices. clarke hunt cannot give all those millions of dollars to ronald macdonalds house when he is paying his princesses. you are getting paid millions. it should be a year around job. its the players faults the coaches are unhappy about unfit athletes. :D

beach tribe
09-07-2016, 07:15 PM

I keep hearing people saying this and I think it's complete bullshit. there's no way a cash cow like this gets shut down for anything they will change their helmets change the rules whatever but as long as it's making this kind of money it will never go away.

Nickhead
09-07-2016, 07:37 PM
I keep hearing people saying this and I think it's complete bullshit. there's no way a cash cow like this gets shut down for anything they will change their helmets change the rules whatever but as long as it's making this kind of money it will never go away.

i think people in general will tune in less as time passes. the media is portraying these athletes too much like humans ;) when highlighting the risks involved. i only say this as i have had these feelings lately myself. BUT... my feelings are more geared to the fact the NFL is tweaking the game in so many ways, its hard to keep up on the rules unless you are a die hard fan. a catch is a fucking catch :D

bolded part: ive often thought, the players needed something more like a motorcycle helmet. the equipment used in todays nfl is too light, and too fast.

KChiefs1
09-07-2016, 07:53 PM

Agreed.

2 preseason games would be ok.

I think the developmental league plays 6 games in the time between OTA's & training camp.

Practice rules are crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man
09-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Yeah, it'll get softened up until it's essentially flag football, and those of us who know the real sport will drift away, but young kids will enthusiastically embrace the sport and speak in awe of the diving flag grab that some defender made during the Super Bowl.

jjchieffan
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Here would be my ideas for remedying this obvious issue...

1. Make changes to camps:
Make rookie camp 1 full week instead of 3 days.
Make minicamps 1 full week instead of the general 3 days.
Extend training camp rookie reporting to 10 days instead of 7.
In total, this gives coaches about 11 extra days with rookies to help prepare them for training camp.
Expand the number of hours per day in camp from 4 to 5, but keep the 3 hour max for a padded practice. Do not limit the pad-free practice to walk-through only, allow drills. This pretty well guarantees that teams will spend 3 hours per day in pads and at least another hour running drills, which will aid with development of players.

2. Reduce the number of preseason games, but not the length of preseason.
I'm not an advocate to reduce developmental time, but I am an advocate of eliminating the 4th preseason game. I don't think coaches gain much by throwing most of their roster cuts out there for a meaningless game.

3. Expand the roster by 3 players and practice squad by at least 2 players, allowing teams to actually develop players without having to toss them away.

4. On the subject of the practice squad, protect it from leaching from other teams exactly the same way the roster is set. You know, like other leagues protect developmental assets. This means, eliminate the waivers system with regard to players to be kept on the practice squad. Change rules for the practice squad to allow any player that's been in the league 4 or less years, rather than the "accrued season" crap they have now.

I agree with every bit of this. Especially the ability to protect developmental players. But, unfortunately, none of that will ever happen. Though I don't know why. All very good ideas. And why wouldn't team owners want to have the ability to have a protected developmental squad?

KChiefs1
09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah, it'll get softened up until it's essentially flag football, and those of us who know the real sport will drift away, but young kids will enthusiastically embrace the sport and speak in awe of the diving flag grab that some defender made during the Super Bowl.

...and the old NFL films will look barbaric like the gladiators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lcarus
09-08-2016, 08:12 AM

"THAT'S BULLCRAP!!! THOSE DAMNED CHEATING DONKEYS SUPER-GLUED THEIR FLAGS TO THEMSELVES!!"

Rausch
09-08-2016, 08:17 AM
I don't think it's an age issue.

I think that what currently works in college ball is drastically different than what works in the NFL...