PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Good article on Dadi Nicolas from Arrowhead Pride

jjchieffan
09-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Much of the focus this offseason has been on the biggest concern for the Chiefs: the pass rush while Tamba Hali and Justin Houston are out. It’s the one weakness that could really derail the season and expose the young secondary. A strong pass rush makes QBs uncomfortable and forces them to get the ball out more quickly. Without a good pass rush, defensive backs have to cover for too long and QBs can sit back and pick the defense apart.

The team drafted Dee Ford for this exact purpose. They saw what happened when injuries took away their elite edge rush the last few years and wanted to make sure they got another guy to develop behind Hali and Houston. Expectations were high on the first round pick, and it was clear that Ford has the elite first step and overall speed to be a disruptive force on the edge. He's flashed that ability — in the San Diego game where he had three sacks and the game-saving pass defended.

The problem is that in these flashes have been too few and far between, and it's difficult to see the consistent improvement you’d want to see from the former first round pick. The Kansas City Star took a look at the mounting pressure on Dee Ford to produce here and there are a LOT of red flags in the quotes and analysis.

When the Chiefs drafted Dadi Nicolas out of Virginia Tech in the sixth round this year, nobody really thought much about it. What should we expect from a sixth round pick on an undersized pass rusher that appeared to be a project? Once he hit the field this preseason, writers and fans alike started to get excited.

Maybe Nicolas can be what we all hoped Dee Ford would be?
After review, Ford and Nicolas are similar players. Both have a great burst off of the snap. Both display the ability to speed rush and get into the backfield. Neither currently has the strength or technique to set the edge with any regularity the way that Houston and Hali have done.

The more you watch, the more the differences appear. It’s been said that Nicolas plays with his hair on fire, and that’s the first thing you notice on tape. He flies around the field and seems to be around the ball and in the backfield on a regular basis. Compare this to Ford who appears to be thinking more and trying to play under control. Nicolas has or is developing an array of pass rush moves. He employs a swim, rip, club, jab step and inside rush moves with regularity. Ford still relies upon his speed rush too much.

In college, Dadi Nicolas was a very curious case of misuse by his college coaching staff. Nicolas - who is a little smaller than you'd want for a linebacker - was used as an interior defensive lineman by Virginia Tech. He displayed the motor and quickness that make him a good prospect for the Chiefs, but was routinely getting beat up by offensive linemen. He managed 2.5 sacks and seven tackles for loss in his senior year, after 8.5 / 18 as a junior. This was clearly a primary reason that he was still available for Kansas City at pick No. 203.

It was interesting to watch him vs Ohio State in 2014 and 2015 (notes included below) to see the difference. In 2014, he had five impact plays (two sacks, three TFL) and lined up all over the formation, including standing up as an outside linebacker. In 2015, lined up mostly on the inside, Nicolas had no impact plays and two total tackles.

Back on the edge with the Chiefs, Nicolas has been a quick study and a pleasant surprise. His natural quickness and motor are evident as you'd expect. I'm not sure we expected him to be this far ahead of the curve when it comes to hand usage, pass rush technique, shedding blockers and secondary rush moves.

Nicolas seemed to get better as the preseason went along, and ended up with a productive stat line (below). It is important to note, however, that he spent most of his time playing against second and third string offensive linemen, so we still need to see it against top competition.

During the preseason, rookie Dadi Nicolas (@YYBAQB) played 99 DEF snaps & had 7 tackles, 4 TFL, 3 sacks & 6 QB hits.
10:55 AM - 4 Sep 2016
112 112 Retweets 237 237 likes
Going forward, Ford and Nicolas should be good competition for each other and good benchmarks for fans. We have been patiently waiting for Dee Ford's development, but with Nicolas on board, there's another young pass rushing option that can set (and change) expectations for the position.

We do think there's a role for both, and we expect that Ford will be given every opportunity to start (during Houston's absence) or at least rotate (when Hali and Houston are both playing). However, in just a few short weeks, Nicolas has gone from a guy we expected to be competing for a practice squad spot to someone who we’re comparing to a Chiefs high draft pick.

Everything could change once the regular season begins. Perhaps Ford takes additional steps forward, or Nicolas struggles when he’s facing first team talent. The progress we've seen from Nicolas is at least encouraging, and potentially exciting for everyone not named Dee Ford. Watch to see if Dadi Nicolas forces the coaches’ hand by the end of the season by continuing to produce when given the opportunity.

When all else (talent, coaching, scheme) is equal, it often comes down to "Who wants it more?" Based on what we’ve seen thus far, Dadi might just want it more than Ford.
Notes from the Chiefs preseason games
Several examples of quickness in pursuit across the formation to run down a ball carrier in the backfield
High energy, high motor type player
Uses his hands and arms to get off of blocks and make tackles in the run game
Easily blocked when he tries to go with inside or bull rush
Can get too far upfield, out of control, and steered out of the play
On one play, he used multiple pass rush moves (swim, rip, club) and got a QB pressure
Saw only one or two plays where he jogged (took a play off) when the play went away from him
Looks fluid enough in coverage when he does drop back
Uses the speed rush and gets hands in the QB's face / passing lanes when he doesn't get home
Had a great tackle for loss where he slipped through the entire defensive formation to get to the RB
Once an offensive lineman gets hands on him, he's often done.
Lacks the strength and bulk to set the edge
Just look at the GIF Seth tweeted of Nicolas’s sack vs Green Bay. He sets the right tackle up with a jab step to the inside then quickly changed directions and dipped his shoulder below the block to finish the play. As Seth notes, the flexibility to bend and get around the corner is what separates great pass rushers from quick players who get blocked.

2014 vs Ohio State

Notice him lining up across the formation, both standing up on the edge and inside at a three technique
Shows ability to run across the formation to chase down a play
Gets knocked around when lined up inside (understandably)
Shows tremendous effort and motor
Gets into the backfield on nearly every play
Able to get skinny to split blockers
Shows very active, but not heavy hands
Tremendous burst off the snap
Can get engulfed by a bigger o-linemen
Displays good length
Uses a swim an rip move effectively, but his spin move wasn't very effective
Credited with two sacks, three tackles, each of which was for a loss
2015 vs Ohio State

Gets driven off the ball and pancaked when playing inside
Not strong enough as a d-lineman
Chases down the QB, nearly gets a sack, then gets there on the next play and two plays later
Gets banged up just before halftime, but starts the 2nd half
Had one shot at the QB in the backfield where he hit him too high, and couldn’t finish
Uses his quickness to avoid blocks at times
Doesn’t typically quit on a play, even when he’s overmatched, keeps fighting
Noticed a couple of plays where he lacked awareness
Credited with two total tackles, no TFL, no sacks

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/7/12694480/chiefs-rookie-dadi-nicolas-can-change-expectations

MTG#10
09-07-2016, 05:24 PM
I almost hope this guy never amounts to anything just so I wont have to hear Mitch Holthus say "Who's your daddy?!" every time he gets a sack

RealSNR
09-07-2016, 05:32 PM
I almost hope this guy never amounts to anything just so I wont have to hear Mitch Holthus say "Who's your daddy?!" every time he gets a sack

He'll manage to come up with something worse.

"Rivers out of the shotgun, takes the snap, looking for an open MAN AND HE'S GOING TO BE SWALLOWED UP BY THE FIRE DINGO!

Aspengc8
09-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Dee ford better play his ass off.

Easy 6
09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
He'll manage to come up with something worse.

"Rivers out of the shotgun, takes the snap, looking for an open MAN AND HE'S GOING TO BE SWALLOWED UP BY THE FIRE DINGO!

LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Will show Rivers who his Dadi is Sunday

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Nicolas has a bright future but he's not "small" for an OLB, he small for a 4-3 DE.

Arrowhead Pride never fails to print stupid shit.

New World Order
09-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Oh god you're probably right

R Clark
09-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Does look small along side the Oline.Wonder what his Ht and Wt really is?

DaFace
09-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Nicolas has a bright future but he's not "small" for an OLB, he small for a 4-3 DE.

Arrowhead Pride never fails to print stupid shit.

Eh, at its core, it's just a fan blog, so some minor issues like that are forgivable IMO. I personally love a lot of their content and wish we had something similar here beyond George's "Ten Things".

KChiefs1
09-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Love this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFace
09-07-2016, 07:35 PM
As for Dadi, I don't have high hopes of him becoming a pro bowler this year or anything, but I hope he can push Ford a little if nothing else.

jjchieffan
09-07-2016, 07:56 PM
As for Dadi, I don't have high hopes of him becoming a pro bowler this year or anything, but I hope he can push Ford a little if nothing else.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I heard that he only bowls a 205 average. You gotta be better than that in the PBA.

SAUTO
09-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I don't think you have to worry about that. I heard that he only bowls a 205 average. You gotta be better than that in the PBA.

ROFL