PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Current state of word association - Kazakhstan

Baby Lee
09-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Just curious, here in 2016, when one says Kazakhstan what's the first thing to come to mind.

Gennady Golovkin or Borat?

Two very different cultural images, each striking in their way. Just wondering if Gennady's tear through boxing has changed anything in the general consciousness.

Once again last night, he proved the most complete package as a boxer in some time.

He's not the fastest. He's not the strongest ever. He's not the most disciplined or skilled.

But he's a fireplug with a flurry at the end of his arms. He stalks. He endures. Nothing seems to phase him.

He faced a very fast, very skilled and very game opponent in Kell Brook. Brook generated a SHIT TON of enthusiasm in the early rounds flashing power discipline and speed. But G^3 just KEPT COMING.

Mid rounds was was death by a thousand cuts and Bell's ring threw in the towel as Bell continued to persevere but it was clear that he was spent and taking devastating damage. Ends up G^3 broke his right orbital and Bell was fighting blind.

Not this fight, but I'll conclude with my favorite image of the past decade of boxing. G^3 leveling an opponent at the same moment as he took a shot that would have knocked out any other fighter. Dropped the guy like a sack of potatoes.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3VcAt2q302oLK/giphy.gif

Simply Red
09-11-2016, 01:40 AM
can he play corner?

bdj23
09-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Very nice place. Minus Jewtown. Good potassium.

Third Eye
09-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Since you asked for a generic thing, I'll say the Baikonur Cosmodrome. But if you're specifically looking for a person, definitely Borat. I don't have any boxing knowledge that is post Tyson's era.

MTG#10
09-11-2016, 08:37 AM
G^3 leveling an opponent at the same moment as he took a shot that would have knocked out any other fighter. Dropped the guy like a sack of potatoes.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3VcAt2q302oLK/giphy.gif

That jab would have knocked out any other fighter? No.

Boxing is dead.

Borat

Jewish Rabbi
09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
My sister #1 prostitute in all of Kazakstan.

Third Eye
09-11-2016, 09:17 AM
That jab would have knocked out any other fighter? No.

Boxing is dead.

Borat

Not a jab, but i agree with your point.

WhawhaWhat
09-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Just curious, here in 2016, when one says Kazakhstan what's the first thing to come to mind.

Gennady Golovkin or Borat?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vFP-MktgOKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Potassium.

Rausch
09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Very nice place. Minus Jewtown. Good potassium.

ROFL

Simply Red
09-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Not a jab, but i agree with your point.

actually it's like in between. haha

jjjayb
09-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Triple G. And no, boxing is not dead. Far from it. Some of the bigger pay per views may be let downs, but there are great fights on almost every night on regular cable tv now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnIar4qUfMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MTG#10
09-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Triple G. And no, boxing is not dead. Far from it. Some of the bigger pay per views may be let downs, but there are great fights on almost every night on regular cable tv now.

I listen to sports radio every day. I watch a lot of ESPN and frequent several sports message boards. The fact that I had to Google who the WBA, WBC, IBF and IBO middleweight title holder was because Ive never heard of him shows me that boxing is dead.

Rain Man
09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Whenever I hear about Kazakhstan, I have to see if I still remember all five of the former USSR stans. Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

jjjayb
09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
I listen to sports radio every day. I watch a lot of ESPN and frequent several sports message boards. The fact that I had to Google who the WBA, WBC, IBF and IBO middleweight title holder was because Ive never heard of him shows me that boxing is dead.

I didn't realize the world revolved around you.

MTG#10
09-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Never said that, just making a point. How many people do you think actually knows that name?

JohnnyHammersticks
09-11-2016, 06:11 PM
When I hear someone say "Kazakhstan" the first thing that always comes to my mind is "Gesundheit".

Rain Man
09-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Slightly off topic, but I've recently become interested in visiting Moldova.

suzzer99
09-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Uzbeckistan and Borat

suzzer99
09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
95% off-topic but I need to rant about this somewhere. When you read about an otherwise seemingly sane chunky ginger on a multi-state West Coast killing spree - it will be due to Chrome's maddeningly annoying shitty-ass non-existent spellcheck suggestions.

http://i.imgur.com/zxeWaD2.png

Or you're one easily swapped vowel off? NO AUTO-CORRECT FOR YOU!

Google makes approximately a $billion/hour, 10k pure geniuses who can solve the most insanely difficult algorithms in a white-board, but they can't put one flunky on improving spellcheck.

The funny thing is to find out how to spell it I just have to go type the word into google and it figures it out immediately o_O