PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What is your opinion on Alex Smith's arm strength?

DTLB58
09-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Is Alex's arm strength strong? Or does it matter because of the West Coast offense?

In Reid's offense does it really need to be a Favre or Marino type to be successful?

I was just watching MNF tonight and it looks like Carson Wentz has a much stronger arm and throws downfield/vertically much more aggressively than Alex and this is supposedly to be a lot of the same offense.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-19-2016, 10:15 PM
He's not flacco but he throws pretty good darts within thirty yards which is where most of the damage is done by quarterbacks

DTLB58
09-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Forgot to click the poll button. Crap. :cuss:

New World Order
http://img.michaeljacksonspictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/popcorn-blank.gif

Hammock Parties
His arm strength wouldn't be a problem if he had more accuracy.

Rain Man
09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Forgot to click the poll button. Crap. :cuss:

You can go to "thread tools" and add a poll after posting.

Oh, and if an offensive system requires a Marino or Favre, it's an infeasible system. Those guys are extremely rare. You build the system around guys like that when you get them, not the other way around.

DTLB58
09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
You can go to "thread tools" and add a poll after posting.

Oh, and if an offensive system requires a Marino or Favre, it's an infeasible system. Those guys are extremely rare. You build the system around guys like that when you get them, not the other way around.

Thanks! It's been awhile. :D

OldSchool
09-19-2016, 10:39 PM
He can make all of the throws that he needs to make. The question is whether or not he is willing to pull the trigger on those 50/50 balls.

Psyko Tek
09-19-2016, 11:17 PM
second best handy I have ever had
AND I TAKE A WHILE
almost 4 hours

DTLB58
09-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Just checked Pro Football reference. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03/touchdowns/passing/

And of Smith's 144 career TD passes 110 are 29 yards or closer.
So he has 34 career TD passes 30+ yards. Obviously, we don't know how far in the air those traveled. But I'm guessing closer to the 30ish mark, than 50+.

Bowser
09-20-2016, 12:21 AM

This. He has plenty of arm strength, it's his accuracy he needs to work on.

TimBone
09-20-2016, 12:26 AM
I agree.

eDave
09-20-2016, 12:36 AM

Yup.

Pointer19
09-20-2016, 05:15 AM
I think he's got the arm, he just doesn't get to use it enough.

MIAdragon
09-20-2016, 06:09 AM

Or balls.

Hammock Parties
09-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Or balls.

Yup. He needs a set of balls like Trent.

That guy had a pair that far outweighed his talent. We were spoiled and realized it soon after when The Mayor of Pussytown became our QB.

Gravedigger
09-20-2016, 06:58 AM
I feel like we've discussed this a few times in the past...

loochy
09-20-2016, 07:55 AM
He CAN throw
He just chooses not to

jjchieffan
09-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Yup. He needs a set of balls like Trent.

That guy had a pair that far outweighed his talent. We were spoiled and realized it soon after when The Mayor of Pussytown became our QB.

Yep. I hated the Cassel years too. Glad that pussy is gone and we have Alex Smith now.

loochy
09-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Yep. I hated the Cassel years too. Glad that pussy is gone and we have Alex Smith now.

Cassel or Huard

who would you take?

jjchieffan
09-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Cassel or Huard

who would you take?

Is antifreeze an option?

loochy
09-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Is antifreeze an option?

it's the only option

Hammock Parties
09-20-2016, 08:00 AM

He's not The Mayor of Pussytown, but he's definitely on the ballot.

In58men
09-20-2016, 08:06 AM
You don't need a cannon to be successful, see Cutler.

loochy
09-20-2016, 08:07 AM
You don't need a cannon to be successful, see Cutler.

brah says whatup

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2008/08/09/sports/09pennington.190.jpg

chiefzilla1501
09-20-2016, 09:04 AM
I remember watching clips in his early years in San Fran vs now. He stepped into his deep throws. Now he looks like hes laying up. When he's not attacking, he tries to ease passes into an open spot instead of slinging it around. When he attacks, it's amazing how much more accurate he is. I've given up on believing he can ever play the first quarter with urgency. He is what he is. I guess the good news is, he's actually turned into a solid game manager where I thought he was lousy early in his kc career.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2016, 03:40 PM
The 2 choices are not mutually inclusive.

Poll fail

His arm is strong enough to win.

His mediocre arm strength leads directly to much of his failure.

The fact that he's a chicken leads to much of his failure too.

dannybcaitlyn
09-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Remember that kid in baseball who went up to bat and the coach from the other team would move everybody up because he knew that kid couldn't go deep. Well that's what we have in Alex smith and that's how d- coordinators treat him.

Rain Man
09-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Remember that kid in baseball who went up to bat and the coach from the other team would move everybody up because he knew that kid couldn't go deep. Well that's what we have in Alex smith and that's how d- coordinators treat him.

Remember that kid? I WAS that kid.

CupidStunt
09-20-2016, 05:02 PM

Decent analogy actually. Was there a kid who preferred to bunt than swing?

Rain Man
09-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Cassel or Huard

who would you take?

Huard in a heartbeat.

I think Dan Marino touted Huard as the Dolphins' quarterback when he retired. We only saw Huard on a bad team at the tail end of his career.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2016, 05:53 PM
"Gaz speculates the lick to center of Tootsie Pop-equation; the world may never know".

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
"Gaz speculates the lick to center of Tootsie Pop-equation; the world may never know".

ROFL I want to add that to this poll so bad.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Solid arm strength!!

Rasputin
09-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Mediocre

I think at times Alex Smith has played above mediocre and other times has played below mediocre only to average out to be mediocre.

Psyko Tek
09-20-2016, 09:15 PM

or if the coach could fucking call an offense

New World Order
09-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Mediocre

I think at times Alex Smith has played above mediocre and other times has played below mediocre only to average out to be mediocre.

LMAO

Dave Lane
09-20-2016, 09:17 PM
He's not flacco but he throws pretty good darts within thirty yards which is where most of the damage is done by quarterbacks

You spelled three wrong...

Mr. Laz
09-20-2016, 09:45 PM

except for the fact that when Andy Reid opens the offense up we don't have nearly the problem with it.

part playcalling
part QB

cosmo20002
09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Is Alex's arm strength strong? Or does it matter because of the West Coast offense?

In Reid's offense does it really need to be a Favre or Marino type to be successful?

I was just watching MNF tonight and it looks like Carson Wentz has a much stronger arm and throws downfield/vertically much more aggressively than Alex and this is supposedly to be a lot of the same offense.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cannon-Used-to-Fire-Drugs-over-Mexico-U-S-Border-2.jpg

Sandy Vagina
09-21-2016, 07:37 AM
except for the fact that when Andy Reid opens the offense up we don't have nearly the problem with it.

part playcalling
part QB

I watched the game again, and I am getting a reminiscent feeling from 6 years ago.. and again from 9 years ago.

Maybe what we saw with the lethargy from players.. sure, mixed with what Maclin was going through.. is an overall lack of belief. That belief, being the offensive gameplan and calls.

Very similar, I tell you. Heads were hanging low, very little excitement in the eyes and body language. I think it might be time for Dorsey, Reid, and Smith to have a long and private chat. Andy Reid might just be the elephant in the room, pardon the pun.

Sandy Vagina
09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
to the topic,

Alex's arm is "just ok". He can make most of the throws, but there are times I see other QBs (like Wilson, Rodgers, Cam) whip the deeper laser passes, while physically not fundamentally set to do so.

Alex can't do that, and you can see he knows it when the targets there as he's on the move, and he looks for another option.

Just okay, as far as arm strength. Good enough.. nothing that will wow you.

Anyong Bluth
09-21-2016, 07:46 AM
To the OP'S question, the answer is better than mine and every other armchair QB posting on CP.

Anyong Bluth
09-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Better observation, actually.

Peyton's arm strength was always shit. I'm not talking post neck surgery Peyton, that's a whole other level where injuries regressed his abilities to a middling college QB in terms of strength. His dad and brother used to give him shit about it all the time even in his prime.

However, his accuracy and touch was easily top 5 and probably top 3 in NFL history. Not only could he deliver the ball on a dime, he was masterful in controlling the trajectory in delivering the ball at the angle he wanted.

For example, if you asked Alex and Manning to deliver the ball on the outside shoulder and over the shoulder on a 35 yard pass (a lot more air under the ball), and another one to the receiver breaking inside to lead him so he can make the catch in stride to turn it up and going diagonally to the corner of the other side of the endzone (frozen rope strike), and compare the two.

Alex will, on average, put the ball within a yard / yard and a half of where you want it.

Peyton, prior to his injuries and surgery, could & would consistently put the ball within 6 inches to a foot on the mark.

In a game of tight windows and factoring in a perfectly placed ball greatly increases your chances for bigger YAC, it's far more significant than whether you've got a rocket arm like Cutler or Flacco.

Being able to make all the pro level throws might make a difference in 4 or 5 plays a game. Placement and accuracy, however, matters on every play you're passing.

Dave Lane
09-22-2016, 10:46 AM

part playcalling
part QB

So is your thought that every play doesn't have one or more deep routes in it, or are you claiming there are never any deep routes called in a game? Or tha Alex never releases the ball to these deep routes? Because that is my belief.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2016, 12:21 PM
So is your thought that every play doesn't have one or more deep routes in it, or are you claiming there are never any deep routes called in a game? Or tha Alex never releases the ball to these deep routes? Because that is my belief.
No offence but i can tell you don't pay attention to the details of the plays.

Yes on 3rd down and 8, Andy Reid called a play where every route was within 10 yrds of the LoS against the Texans. It was the pass where Alex Smith tried to jam it in to Kelce and the defender slapped it down.

Yes, every route has a 1st read priority and Alex Smith is the kind of QB that goes with the play scheme. Andy Reid calls a lot of plays where the 1st read is a screen/swing/button within 8 yards of the LoS.

Bray try to go outside of the offense during the preseason. He try to ignore the short 1st reads and go deep. Everyone killed him for it and he ended up getting cut.

Most of the QBs we have added since Reid show up have been the short throwing, weak arm variety. Alex Smith,Murray,Hogan etc.

Bray wasn't ... cut ... Foles isn't but he sure as hell started throwing all the short stuff as soon as he got here. Foles was a gun-slinger in philly, now he's dink and dunk because THAT IS THE OFFENSE REID WANTS. If Andy didn't want that then Alex Smith wouldn't be doing it because he is a guy that follows orders.

Discuss Thrower
09-22-2016, 12:40 PM
No offence but i can tell you don't pay attention to the plays.

Yes on 3rd down and 8, Andy Reid called a play where every route was within 10 yrds of the LoS against the Texans. It was the pass where Alex Smith tried to jam it in to Kelce and the defender slapped it down.

Yes, every router has a 1st read priority and Alex Smith is the kind of QB that goes with the play scheme. Andy Reid calls a lot of players where the 1st read is a screen/swing/button within 8 yards of the LoS.

Bray try to go outside of the offense during the preseason. He try to ignore the short 1st reads and go deep. Everyone killed him for it and he ended up getting cut.

Most of the QBs we have added since Reid show up have been the short throwing, weak arm variety. Alex Smith,Murray,Hogan etc.

Bray wasn't ... cut ... Foles isn't but he sure as hell started throwing all the short stuff as soon as he got here. Foles was a gun-slinger in philly, not he's dink and dunk because THAT IS THE OFFENSE REID WANTS. If Andy didn't want that then Alex Smith wouldn't be doing it because he is a guy that follows orders.

Yup. And the downside to that kind of offense is magnified when you have a QB who has a football-flavored PTSD that manifests itself in refusing to force the ball in an easily intercepted situation.

IMHO, Reid's system would work with a QB that has a gunslinger mentality that is coached into staying aware, upright and mobile long enough to opt for a short throw if the defense leaves it open.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Yup. And the downside to that kind of offense is magnified when you have a QB who has a football-flavored PTSD that manifests itself in refusing to force the ball in an easily intercepted situation.

IMHO, Reid's system would work with a QB that has a gunslinger mentality that is coached into staying aware, upright and mobile long enough to opt for a short throw if the defense leaves it open.
Alex Smith makes Reid's conservative offense worse because he follows the rules to the letter and is naturally conservative/scared himself.

Then again i think that's why Reid wanted him.

Reid didn't want another Donovan McNabb who would hold the ball and run around until something deep came open so he could chuck it downfield.

Hydrae
09-22-2016, 03:20 PM
No offence but i can tell you don't pay attention to the details of the plays.

Yes, every route has a 1st read priority and Alex Smith is the kind of QB that goes with the play scheme. Andy Reid calls a lot of plays where the 1st read is a screen/swing/button within 8 yards of the LoS.

Bray wasn't ... cut ... Foles isn't but he sure as hell started throwing all the short stuff as soon as he got here. Foles was a gun-slinger in philly, now he's dink and dunk because THAT IS THE OFFENSE REID WANTS. If Andy didn't want that then Alex Smith wouldn't be doing it because he is a guy that follows orders.

Bray was cut? I must have missed that somehow. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
09-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Bray was cut? I must have missed that somehow. :shrug:I'm glad you found something found

Congrats

Next check the grammar, i'm sure there is plenty wrong with that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
It doesn't matter if it's a short or long pass, the timing, accuracy, and VARIETY have to be present to make the money.

There's not much variety in Reid's passing attack under Smith, regardless of how thick that play book may be.

The best QB's are the guys who can stand in the pocket and sell the read while heading the other direction.

SAUTO
09-22-2016, 05:54 PM
I watched the game again, and I am getting a reminiscent feeling from 6 years ago.. and again from 9 years ago.

Maybe what we saw with the lethargy from players.. sure, mixed with what Maclin was going through.. is an overall lack of belief. That belief, being the offensive gameplan and calls.

Very similar, I tell you. Heads were hanging low, very little excitement in the eyes and body language. I think it might be time for Dorsey, Reid, and Smith to have a long and private chat. Andy Reid might just be the elephant in the room, pardon the pun.

ROFL

Alex Smith just had a terrible game.

Reid didn't make him miss wide open guys multiple times by several years...

RunKC
09-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Russell Wilson is the perfect QB to run Andy's system.

tx4chiefs
09-22-2016, 06:09 PM

LOL

Discuss Thrower
09-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Russell Wilson is the perfect QB to run Andy's system.

Part of me says Luck would be a top choice of well but "Hurrrrr greatest prospect since Manning"

Katie
09-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Well, he did have a golf ball on his arm after the San Diego game...maybe that affected him in Houston.

TLO
09-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Well, he did have a golf ball on his arm after the San Diego game...maybe that affected him in Houston.

I wondered the same thing.

Sandy Vagina
09-23-2016, 08:05 AM

Which could.. COULD.. also help explain his mopey nature throughout the game... It's as if he went in thinking that he would fail.. and that was strange after coming off the SD high.

Maybe he was just off.. maybe he sucks.. or maybe he was playing with half an arm. ****, I don't know.. and not many do. But as a fan hoping for much better as we go, I'd like to believe it was what you mentioned.

el borracho
09-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Arm strength is fine for what he does (how strong do you really have to be to throw to the line of scrimmage, anyway?)