PDA

View Full Version : Way Too Early 2017 Mock

kccrow
09-26-2016, 10:37 PM
OFFSEASON PLAN

Release (incl. Waive/Retirement/Trade/Option)

Nick Foles (QB) - Do not pick up option year (+$10,750,000) - Unless the Chiefs think Foles will take over for Smith, there's no reason to keep him on the roster at that type of price tag. The Chiefs won't pick up that option. They may let it expire and re-sign Foles, but even that seems unlikely.
Jamaal Charles (RB) - Trade for 2018 conditional draft pick (+$7,000,000) - Charles is getting old and those injuries are a factor. If he can show he's got something left by season's end, I think the Chiefs move him and $7 million off the books for some type of compensation. If not, he's going to have to take a significant pay cut or be cut.
Jah Reid (OL) - Release (+$2,075,000) - Reid became insurance after the Chiefs signed Mitchell Schwartz, and Reid hasn't even seen much action with all of the injuries at guard. His salary is needed elsewhere.
Demetrius Harris (TE) - Release (+$1,050,000) - Too many drops and plenty of time to develop, it's time to move on as the Chiefs have several young TE's with equal or better ability in the wings.

Allow to Walk

Albert Wilson (WR) - Lackluster play and the ascention of Tyreek Hill as a rookie makes Wilson easily expendable. A RFA tender is too much to pay for his services in my opinion.
Kendall Reyes (DL) - Chris Jones and Rakeem Nunez-Roches are developing nicely. Dorsey will likely look to add more young depth.
Bishop Sankey (RB) - A backup plan to a backup plan, so unless he makes some significant contribution he's out.
Mike Person (OG) - Not a contributor.
Trey Millard (FB) - Not a contributor.
Kenny Cook (WR) - Not a contributor.

Re-Sign

Eric Berry (S) - 5-years $60,000,000 with $28,000,000 guaranteed at signing ($17,000,000 signing bonus).

Estimated cap figures: 2017 - $7.60 m ($4.00 guaranteed base), 2018 - $10.60 m ($7.00 guaranteed base), 2019 - $13.60 m, 2020, $13.60 m, 2021 - $14.60 m

Tryann Mathieu agreed to a 5-year, $62.5 million extension a year ago ($12.5 m/yr w/ $21.25 m guaranteed at signing) to stay with the Cardinals, so that is likely the precedent that Berry's camp will follow. Like with most negotiations, it isn't always the total or average money of the contract, but the guaranteed money. Berry's contract would come in second in average at $12.0 m per, but he'd receive the most guaranteed of any safety to date. Berry is one of the primary leaders on the defense, so his retention is of paramount importance.

Dontari Poe (NT) - 5-years $47,000,000 with $21,000,000 guaranteed at signing ($9,000,000 signing bonus)

Estimated cap figures: 2017 - $6.00 m ($4.00 of guaranteed base), 2018 - $10.00 m ($8.00 of guaranteed base), 2019 - $10.00 m, 2020 - $10.00 m, 2021 - 11.00 m

Damon Harrison signed a 5-year $46.25 million deal ($9,250,000/year w/$20 m guaranteed at signing) to go from the Jets to the Giants a year ago, and Poe is every bit as good of a player. It stands to reason that Poe will receive at least a comparable contract. The question would become what teams would forcast him becoming in a 4-3 where he could put more pressure on the QB. With seasons including 4.5 and 6.0 sacks as a NT in a 3-4, teams would likely bet on him being a guy capable of 8+ sacks in a 1-gap scheme, which would put him in the upper echelon of DTs. For those reasons, Poe's value could rise much higher than Harrison's. A good NT is the most essential piece to running a quality 3-4 defense, and the Chiefs have the NFL's best in Dontari Poe. Poe is a must sign.

Dustin Colquitt (P) - 5-year, $20,350,000 Extension, converting $4,000,000 of 2017 money to a signing bonus and guaranteeing another 1,150,000 in 2017 salary and 2,400,000 in 2018 salary for a total of $7.55 million guaranteed.

Estimated cap figures: 2017 - $2.80 m, 2018 - $3.25 m, 2019 - $3.25 m, 2020 - $3.65 m, 2021 - $4.05 m, 2022 - -$4.15 m

Colquitt is an easy conversion of cap funding this season through either cut or extension. In this case the Chiefs gain $2.1 million in cap space and maintain Colquitt as one of the highest paid punters in the league as well as having the most guaranteed money through the end of his career.

Daniel Sorensen (SS) - 1-year RFA original round tender of $1,671,000
James Winchester (LS) - 1-year ERFA tender of $615,000
Cairo Santos (K) - 1-year RFA original round tender of $1,671,000

Resulting Cap Liabilities: $162,079,345 (versus projected $166,000,000 cap = $3,920,655 cap space, plus potential $5.6 m in rollover from 2016)

DRAFT

1. Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State (6'3" 243)

There is no question that the Chiefs need help at inside linebacker heading into 2017. I'm going out on a limb and saying that McMillan will declare for the draft after listening to some of his comments during bowl week. The difference between him staying and going really depends on how badly he wants a tree planted in his name after only garnering 2nd-team All-American honors this season (shameful really). McMillan is one of Ohio State's better players at a position they've had some all-time greats at, and that is not a small statement. This kid is the real deal. He can cover, shed blockers, blitz, hit like a truck, he can do it all. All that while being the unquestioned leader of the Buckeyes' defense, an outstanding student, and an outstanding community volunteer. McMillan could instantly fill the void left by Derrick Johnson, whom I believe will retire following a second Achilles rupture. If the Chiefs have to trade up to get this kid, I'm on board.

2. Hunter Dimick, DE, Utah (6'3" 266)

Dee Ford has stepped up way more than I thought he would in 2016. While his run defense needs to improve much more, he's come a long way since his rookie season when he was running away from the offense. It may be time I eat some crow on Ford, but he has work yet to do until I'm convinced he can carry this over for the long-haul. With Ford's emergence as a threat, pass rusher becomes a less pressing need. However, Hali may just hang them up after 2016, so a third pass rusher is definitely going to be needed. In the same breath, can KC afford to retain some players on defense in the coming years, including Ford? Dimick reminds me of Hali with decent speed, good strength, outstanding technique, and a motor that just doesn't shut down. Not to mention, he lead the PAC-12 with 13.5 sacks in 2016.

3. Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado (5'11" 205)

Pick your reasons that Chiefs will likely need to add once again to the defensive backfield, which might include: the KeiVarae Russell debacle, Kenneth Acker not playing well, D.J. White showing a rookie learning curve, Phillip Gaines always being injured, or Steven Nelson looking lost 90% of the time. Awuzie reminds me alot of my guy from last season, D.J. White. He's not huge, but he's menacing in all facets. Sticky in coverage, great tackler, physical, can play special teams, blitzes well from the nickel, and can play the football well enough. This kid can line up anywhere in the defensive backfield. As much as KC runs the nickel, Awuzie might be a perfect addition.

4. Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan (6'5" 305)

The Chiefs may be needing to free up some cap space and Jah Reid seems like a good candidate for the cut list. If that is the case, the Chiefs will need to go shopping for a backup right tackle/guard candidate. Magnuson has the athleticism and demeanor to stay out at tackle in the NFL, but must clean up some technique issues to be consistent in the NFL. Magnuson is one of the best pass blocking lineman in the Big Ten and is a solid run blocker to boot.

4. Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (6'2" 225) (Projected Comp - Jeff Allen, OG)

With Rudolph deciding to stay in school, I really don't see the need for the Chiefs to jump on a QB overly early in the draft. That said, I'm putting Peterman back into my mock after a short-lived exit. Peterman checks alot of boxes in the Aaron Murray-type of mold having run a pro-style offense and having a good arm and solid mechanics, but perhaps better athleticism and a stronger arm. The Chiefs will likely need a 3rd QB going into 2017 if they don't retain Nick Foles, which doesn't seem likely given the cap restraints.

5. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (6'5" 256)

The Chiefs have a fairly healthy stable of tight ends, especially receiving tight ends, but they lack a solid all-around tight end opposite Travis Kelce. Sprinkle is not only a reliable pass receiver and solid end-zone threat, but he's a very good blocker that can make contact on the move. He gets used at multiple spots in the Razorback offense, including in tight, split out, and at half-back, so he has some versatility as a blocker/receiver. Sprinkle doesn't have elite quickness and speed to threaten the seam as a number one tight end in the NFL, but he's got very respectable long speed to break away if given the opportunity.

5. De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan (5'11" 228) (Projected Comp - Chase Daniel, QB)

The Chiefs very well may release or trade Jamaal Charles this offseason and the stable of RBs gets a bit light after Spencer Ware. Smith is a near clone of Ware in that he's a big, strong, powerful back that hits the hole hard and fast. Smith has good vision and is a one-cut-and-go type of back. Smith also catches the ball very well out of the backfield, which is a huge prerequisite in Andy Reid's offense.

6. Forfeited, Anti-Tampering

6. Treyvon Hester, DT, Toledo (6'3" 300) (Projected Comp - Donald Stephenson, OT)

Dontari Poe is set to hit free agency if he doesn't get a contract, and Jaye Howard will have 1 year left on his 2-year deal, plus there could be depth issues if the Chiefs don't retain Kendall Reyes. The Chiefs will need to continue the pipeline on the D-line. Hester is a good sized tackle with disruptive traits, especially a quick first step off the snap. Hester is routinely double and triple-teamed on the front line, so his stat lines don't look gaudy. Looks like a bit quicker version of Jaye Howard. Needs some work on maintaining his area discipline and play recognition, but his motor doesn't seem to stop. Plays with more of a defensive end mentality than a defensive tackle.

6. Isaac Asiata, OG, Utah (6'3" 323) (Projected Comp - Tyvon Branch, SS)

The Chiefs depth at OG, and even its starters, are a bit suspect. Asiata is a ball of energy on the offensive line with excellent foot speed and great bulk for the position. His abilit to pull and get into space is a huge upgrade to what Zach Fulton can offer. Asiata has played a bit of tackle and both guard spots in his four years with the Utes, giving him some flexibility as a rotational lineman at the onset. If Asiata can clean up his tendency to lean into blocks after engaging, he'll be a quality player on the interior. Asiata won the PAC-12's Morris Trophy as the top offensive lineman in the conference as voted by his peers on the defensive line.

7. Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri (6'4" 346)

The Chiefs may have a major issue if Poe leaves in free agency, but if he's retained the NT position becomes less of a concern. This is where a player like Augusta could be developed for the future. Augusta was beginning to look more like a baby mammoth than a football player, but finally seemed to get his weight under control in 2016, and his stat line benefited tremendously. The fact remains, his weight issues are going to scare teams off and push him down in the draft despite his solid play in 2016. If Augusta can maintain a sub-350 pound weight and continue to develop, he could be a force on the interior that commands double-teams.

Change Lists (Last update 12/26/16)

Changes 1: Billy Price (OG), Mitch Leidner (QB), Zach Pascal (WR) out. Nathan Peterman (QB), Marlon Mack (RB), DeAngelo Yancey (WR) in.
Movement: Magnuson from round 5 to round 4. Awuzie from round 4 to round 3. Hester from round 7 to round 6. Dimick from round 4 to round 2. Nacua from round 3 to round 7.

Changes 2: Zach Cunningham (ILB), Marlon Mack (RB), Nathan Peterman (QB) out. Mason Rudolph (QB), Marquel Lee (ILB), De'Veon Smith (RB) in.

Changes 3: Vincent Taylor (DT), Kai Nacua (FS) out. Jeremy Sprinkle (TE), Josh Augusta (NT) in.

Changes 4: Mason Rudolph (QB), Marquel Lee (ILB), DeAngelo Yancey (WR) out. Raekwon McMillan (ILB), Nathan Peterman (QB), Isaac Asiata (OG) in.

ROSTER

QB: A. Smith, T. Bray, N. Peterman
RB: S. Ware, C. West, D. Smith
FB: A. Sherman
WR: J. Maclin, C. Conley, T. Hill, D. Robinson, D. Thomas
TE: T. Kelce, R. Travis, J. Sprinkle, J. O'Shaughnessy
OL: E. Fisher, M. Schwartz, E. Magnuson
OG: L. Duvernay-Tardiff, P. Ehinger, I. Asiata
OC: M. Morse, Z. Fulton
DE: C. Jones, J. Howard, A. Bailey, R. Nunez-Roches, T. Hester
NT: D. Poe, J. Augusta
OLB: J. Houston, D. Ford, H. Dimick, D. Nicholas, F. Zombo
ILB: R. McMillan, J. Mauga, R. Wilson, D. Alexander, T. Smith, D. Johnson
CB: M. Peters, T. Mitchell, P. Gaines, S. Nelson, D. White, C. Awuzie, K. Acker
FS: R. Parker, E. Murray
SS: E. Berry, D. Sorensen
ST: C. Santos, D. Colquitt, J. Winchester

O.city
09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
I like your first round pick, but Garrett is the best edge player in this draft.

kccrow
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I like your first round pick, but Garrett is the best edge player in this draft.

Garrett is going 1 or 2 in the draft. He's not in KC's wheelhouse. I was speaking in terms of reality for the Chiefs, and probably could have stated it better. Unless, of course, KC loses out.

O.city
09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Garrett is going 1 or 2 in the draft. He's not in KC's wheelhouse. I was speaking in terms of reality for the Chiefs, and probably could have stated it better. Unless, of course, KC loses out.

Oh, gotcha.

It sucks because that dude looks like von miller 2.0. Ridiculously good.

kccrow
09-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Oh, gotcha.

It sucks because that dude looks like von miller 2.0. Ridiculously good.

Agreed. Kid is outstanding. Only way he doesn't go #1, IMO is because a team needs a QB desperately.

O.city
09-27-2016, 01:33 PM
I would consider trading all the way up for garrett. He's legit.

But I like a couple of the other rushers. Charles Harris from Mizzou is interesting to me.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2016, 09:07 AM
I would consider trading all the way up for garrett. He's legit.

But I like a couple of the other rushers. Charles Harris from Mizzou is interesting to me.

I don't know that Harris is a scheme fit. He isn't terribly agile. I guess you could put him in Hali's role where he's in coverage in rare situations and is mostly tasked with getting after the QB. He's an odd athlete in that he appears pretty explosive but for some reason he just doesn't seem to cut/turn very well. His lean is only okay and I think that puts a ceiling on him.

He's also regressed a bit this season. He had a nice game against UGA but I still need to see more of that. He was pretty much invisible against WVU and Western Michigan. If I'm going to invest big time draft capital into another 3-4 conversion project, I'll need to see more consistent performance.

Then again, it's possible I'm not being fair. He came so far, so fast in his first 2 years that maybe I'm expecting too much because I'm a Mizzou fan. I tend to be down on most Missouri prospects for that very reason.

O.city
09-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Possibly. He looked alot more fluid against Georgia but that's possibly an outlier.

That transition from de to olb in the 34 is always tough for me to predict.

kcchiefsus
10-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Sure, low round QB's occasionally work out. I'm not going to bet on it though. They're wasted draft picks as far as I'm concerned. Until we get the balls to use a high draft pick on one we might as well use the pick on a position where the guy can at the very least contribute on special teams.

kccrow
10-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Sure, low round QB's occasionally work out. I'm not going to bet on it though. They're wasted draft picks as far as I'm concerned. Until we get the balls to use a high draft pick on one we might as well use the pick on a position where the guy can at the very least contribute on special teams.

I agree wholeheartedly, unless a team is looking for a cheap, 3rd string, waterboy. That being said, the Chiefs may very well be looking for exactly that in 2017.

RunKC
10-03-2016, 07:55 AM
1. Brad Kaaya QB Miami
2. Trade up---DeVonte Fields OLB Louisville

Right now this is what I want

kccrow
10-03-2016, 07:46 PM
I made one tweak... but I don't know that I can realistically start thinking QB in round 1 with this group of clowns...

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-06-2016, 06:47 PM
A 6th round QB?

Man, the Crow knows KC like the back of his hand, that nice lad.

kccrow
10-07-2016, 12:35 PM
A 6th round QB?

Man, the Crow knows KC like the back of his hand, that nice lad.

ROFL

They have yet to prove it wrong... lol... Perhaps, one day, before we're all dead.

Saccopoo
10-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Nacua is a very good player, but the Cougar you need to take a look at in the later rounds is Harvey Langi, DE/LB from BYU. 6'3", 255 lb.

The guy was a Utah HS legend and signed with Utah and played at RB as a true freshman. Transferred to BYU after his church mission and they played him at ILB last season. Because of his combination of speed and strength, they moved him to DE for the 2016 campaign. So, the guy is on his third completely different position in college, but they can't keep him off the field because of his freakish athleticism.

He'd be a project, but he's a freak. Worth a late rounder to see if he can be coached up into a singular position such as ILB or OLB.

(As a side note, Harvey's cousin, Mo Langi, a former rugby player who is currently on his church mission that committed to BYU, stands 6'7", 410 lb.

However, the defensive back that you really want to take a look at is Utah redshirt sophomore safety Chase Hansen. 6'3", 215 lb. A former HS Parade All-American QB, Gatorade State POY, etc, etc, who has some of the best football instincts I've ever seen. Maybe the best HS QB the state of Utah has ever seen, but, again, was simply too good to stay off the field in any capacity so he started playing safety last season while also playing QB. Suffered a broken leg late in the 2015 season, but is playing extremely well to start the 2016 season.

CBS Sports currently has Hansen's backfield mate safety Marcus Williams as their #41 overall prospect for the 2017 draft and, IMO, Hansen is easily the better player of the two.

Is draftable as a redshirt sophomore, but hasn't indicated if he'll take that route following the 2016 season.

kccrow
10-12-2016, 12:53 AM
welcome back sac, thought we'd lost you. good to see ya.

spanky 52
10-12-2016, 07:26 AM
So happy to see the words of Saccapoo again.

Saccopoo
10-15-2016, 12:50 AM
Nacua looked strong tonight against Mississippi State.

MotherfuckerJones
10-15-2016, 01:23 PM
If there's a QB kc wants, I want to see this team draft one real early or make a bold move for a playmaker at WR or pass rusher.

kccrow
11-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Updated 11/8.

BryanBusby
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
I'd like Cunningham, but he's gonna rise leading up to the draft and be out of the Chiefs range.

Guard in the 2nd? I can't see Reid giving up on LdT or Ehringer. Are we drafting Oline depth in the 2nd round?

QB and CB need to be addressed earlier.

RunKC
11-08-2016, 03:16 PM
IMO DL will again be picked early (first 3 rds). Bailey might be gone and Howard has 1 year left.

That position is saying "future need" IMO

Evil BlackBob
11-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I really like Florida CB Quincy Wilson. He is tall at 6'2" and is really fast. His stock will rise fast if he declares. He's a junior.

Saccopoo
11-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Dimnick is an absolute beast. He's basically double teamed every play and still is a major force in getting into the pocket. The Hali comparison is totally valid. Same size, same style of play. He'd be a nice get for this team.

And Nacua has been a machine this season. He's got everything you want in a safety prospect.

I don't know if I'd use a 2 on Price, but otherwise a good draft.

Direckshun
11-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Your draft pick assumptions are all off, in my opinion.

Share your thoughts, kccrow:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303308

MotherfuckerJones
11-10-2016, 08:57 PM
We could go a variety of ways. QB, CB, DL, pass rusher, WR, OL all options early including maybe a RB if one falls that we like. We need another one behind Ware.

kccrow
11-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Your draft pick assumptions are all off, in my opinion.

Share your thoughts, kccrow:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303308

Very likely not off.

http://overthecap.com/draft/
http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Saccopoo
11-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Utah's Hunter Dimnick was basically unblockable on Thursday night against Arizona State. Piled up five sacks and was a one man wrecking crew all game long.

Direckshun
11-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Kccrow:

What do you anticipate we got in return for Marcus Cooper?

It was a conditional pick, but he's started all year.

kccrow
11-14-2016, 04:38 PM
Kccrow:

What do you anticipate we got in return for Marcus Cooper?

It was a conditional pick, but he's started all year.

If I had to guess, a 7th rounder conditional to a 6th depending on PT. At most a 6th conditional to a 5th. Either way, its a 2018 pick.

kccrow
11-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Oh my, just realized I forgot the pick for Chase Daniel... no wonder you've been questioning Direckshun... Sweet Jeebus... My brain has been in a fog lately, too much personal shit going on to be with it.

kccrow
12-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Updated 12/8... Some small changes, enjoy.

Urc Burry
12-09-2016, 01:09 AM
Updated 12/8... Some small changes, enjoy.

Whelp. Especially after tonight it's hard to argue against that. This seems like a good draft for ILB, right? I haven't been following college football too much, but Cunningham, Foster, and Jarrad Davis all seem like good prospects

Direckshun
12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
I can't help but think this is a waste of resources.

As it stands right now, we have a projected depth in 2017 of Houston, Ford, Hali, and Nicholas at OLB. You're throwing a 2nd rounder at it a year too soon.

We'll have an ILB corps of Wilson, Mauga, March, and Alexander and DJ will likely return midway through the 2017 season. You're throwing a 1st at it too soon.

This draft really is the perfect opportunity to throw high resources at QB and DL. Dorsey will almost certainly draft DL first, at the risk of losing Poe and Howard after 2017. Though, if he somehow signs Poe, which you've projected, I think that makes CB priority 1B (with QBotF at 1A).

Saccopoo
12-09-2016, 01:02 PM
First three picks are absolutely balls!

Cunningham is awesome. Even if they have to move up for him, he's the best ILB in this draft and fits Dorsey's prototype at the position.

Dimnick is a beast and is Tamba Hali.

Awuzie would be the perfect compliment to Peters and would be a really amazing fit for Sutton's defense. Best college CB I've seen this year by a long shot.

KChiefs1
12-09-2016, 01:22 PM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2680679-matt-millers-week-14-nfl-scouting-notebook-updated-2-round-mock-draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecca
12-09-2016, 02:20 PM
If it broke like that dudes mock I'd hope the Chiefs picked Watson...

The Franchise
12-09-2016, 05:13 PM
If it broke like that dudes mock I'd hope the Chiefs picked Watson...

Yep.

kccrow
12-09-2016, 05:16 PM
I can't help but think this is a waste of resources.

As it stands right now, we have a projected depth in 2017 of Houston, Ford, Hali, and Nicholas at OLB. You're throwing a 2nd rounder at it a year too soon.

We'll have an ILB corps of Wilson, Mauga, March, and Alexander and DJ will likely return midway through the 2017 season. You're throwing a 1st at it too soon.

This draft really is the perfect opportunity to throw high resources at QB and DL. Dorsey will almost certainly draft DL first, at the risk of losing Poe and Howard after 2017. Though, if he somehow signs Poe, which you've projected, I think that makes CB priority 1B (with QBotF at 1A).

I disagree, so I'll break this into parts.

1. IF Hali doesn't retire, I'd be extremely surprised. He's definitely lost more than a step at this point and he's been making very marginal contributions. I really don't think his knees hold up another season. I don't think you count on him for much if he does stick around one more year.

Nicholas is very undersized and may be a very situational player most of his career. I'm not writing him off yet, but I don't have high hopes that he'll ever amount to much more than a special teams guy that might give you a few snaps a game in relief duty.

I think we've seen what a detriment it can be to not have adequate depth, and I think you're grasping at straws thinking there is much more there than Ford and Houston. We've got Ford locked up for 2 more seasons if KC exercises his option, which is a perfect amount of time to develop a guy behind him. If Ford keeps posting 10+ sack seasons, I doubt they'll pay Houston 20 million per and pay Ford.

So, quality depth and the future in mind, I am confident in defending an OLB pick. Truth be told, I was hoping Dimick would be a guy that would be kind of a sleeper that you could get as a mid-rounder, but he absolutely shit on guys once again this year and he's no secret any longer. His draft stock will soar in the off-season.

2. Thinking DJ will return on the playing field might just be a bit more premature than any draft pick I prognosticate. All signs point to him being done. He's going to be 35 years old coming off his 2nd Achilles tear. If you thought he lost a step after his first tear, he's going to look like a tortoise after the second. I wouldn't count on him every playing again.

Mauga is a second rate defender everyone here loved to bag on and couldn't wait for the Chiefs to replace, but he is okay against the run. From what I understand, 2017 is a void option on Mauga's contract, so we'll see what even happens there. It is very possible Mauga isn't back, and even if he is why defend his starting position?

Ramik Wilson has shown some promise, but he's appeared to be a huge liability against the run so far. I don't think you can say, with an honest face, that he's your bell cow at ILB. He might be serviceable, but he's not the face of the defense and he's not a tone setter. D.J. Alexander hasn't flashed anything yet that even remotely suggests he's more than a nice special teams guy.

So, I'm trying to figure out who you're really pinning your hopes to at ILB. I mean, there are guys here to fill roles. There aren't guys here to be difference makers. KC could use a true difference maker that can stuff the run on the inside. There are several A quality ILBs in this draft and KC would be wise to choose one of them.

3. This is not a quality QB draft. To have any hopes of 1st round potential players, there needs to be several Junior declarations. History has shown that Juniors seldom fair well, especially early in their careers. Good thing for KC is that they'd have time to develop one. The negative is that the few Juniors that do show plus traits will likely get snapped up by QB needy teams much earlier than they should. Good luck with spending early resources on a QB.

I don't think there is a 1st round defensive tackle that makes sense for KC. Closest would be Lotulelei, but Dorsey hasn't shown the desire to take short armed players with any picks. I think the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds will have some value at the position. I do agree with you that Dorsey takes a couple defensive lineman in this draft, but I don't expect that to be the 1st or 2nd round necessarily.

Cornerback might be your best argument in round 1, as value and need kind of align there. Guys like Adoree Jackson, Cordrea Tankersley, Cam Sutton, and Gareon Conley all make some sense at the end of the first. So far, KC appears to have a need to find a #2 CB opposite Peters. Value appears to go deep at CB in this draft though, well into the 3rd round.

RunKC
12-09-2016, 09:20 PM
CB is so strong. Not sure if Dorsey would pass that kinda talent at CB. Imagine that paired with Peters?

Saccopoo
12-10-2016, 01:47 AM
CB is so strong. Not sure if Dorsey would pass that kinda talent at CB. Imagine that paired with Peters?

Awuzie is as good at CB on the field as anyone in this draft.

Saccopoo
12-10-2016, 01:52 AM
Utah's Tim Patrick is a better option than Pascal.

kcchiefsus
12-10-2016, 05:43 AM
I know Dorsey/Reid like to draft a QB every year, but personally I would rather use the pick on someone who is more likely to stick on the roster unless we draft one high in the draft. Until we finally have the balls to grab a QBOTF in the 1st (or 2nd) I'd rather use our available resources on someone who could at the very least contribute on special teams. We've had enough of nobodies like Murray and Hogan.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-10-2016, 06:01 AM

Of course he is, honey. Of course he is,

Mecca
12-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Let's be honest here if he falls Watson is a pretty good fit for the Chiefs offense, he'd get roughly 2 years before he had to play and Smith's to the point that we need to think about someone to take over soon.

Overall this is a really important draft for a lot of reasons but finding a real QB that can take the job is super important.

RunKC
12-10-2016, 10:47 AM
A few things I think you should consider crow:

-a real #2 TE (Kelce injury insurance)
-a speedy ball hawk at S (Parker injury insurance)

Mecca
12-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Which safety are you cutting?

And if you want all that you're basically saying the Chiefs must land 10 productive players from this draft...good luck.

RunKC
12-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Which safety are you cutting?

And if you want all that you're basically saying the Chiefs must land 10 productive players from this draft...good luck.

Draft pick vs Ross Travis or James 'O'Shags
Draft pick vs Eric Murray

Best player wins

Mecca
12-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Eric Murry was literally just drafted in the 4th round so unless you are picking one higher than that you likely aren't improving. Not to mention he is a CB to S conversion.

RunKC
12-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Yeah but look at K. Russell or Ramik. Draft position means little if you aren't a high pick

kccrow
12-10-2016, 02:47 PM

Actually made a switch to DeAngelo Yancey of Purdue. I've been meaning to change that Pascal pick for a while, but was looking for a guy I really liked.

I know Dorsey/Reid like to draft a QB every year, but personally I would rather use the pick on someone who is more likely to stick on the roster unless we draft one high in the draft. Until we finally have the balls to grab a QBOTF in the 1st (or 2nd) I'd rather use our available resources on someone who could at the very least contribute on special teams. We've had enough of nobodies like Murray and Hogan.

Everyone wants a QBOTF. Thing is, this isn't a great draft to find that. I do really like Mason Rudolph as a 2nd round guy you sit for a couple years developing. But... You gotta have that third guy, camp/practice arm that holds a clip board. Chiefs will likely only have Bray going into 2017. If a worthwhile player isn't there early on, I think you have to draft a #3 guy.

I think the Chiefs already have a really nice stable of TEs, and Ross Travis will have a year under his belt. I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on a TE at all.

Nacua is probably the best ball hawk in the NCAA at safety. Problem is more with his run defense. Also seems to be the problem Parker had early on. Not only that, KC has guys that can play that role already with Murray and White. I don't see a Parker replacement as a huge necessity. I think you get worried about drafting a legit safety prospect if Eric Berry walks.

Demonpenz
12-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Brad Kayya feels like that one stat whore that is just a guy in the leage.

DJ's left nut
12-12-2016, 03:00 PM
People still think Cunningham will fall into the mid/late 20s?

Man, I figured the Jack and Jaylon love from last year (prior to their injuries) would've convinced folks that rangy ILBs are the rage right now, especially guys that can hold their own at the point of attack.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cunningham go top 10. It's not a given, but it's definitely a possibility, especially if he tests well (and there's no reason he shouldn't). 2 down lineman like Ragland are falling farther than they would have in years past but the legit 3-down guys are likely to explode up draft boards and I don't see any reason not to believe that Cunningham isn't going to follow that path.

If he fell, I would consider taking him ahead of a QB. I'm just a little terrified about making the 'DJ v. Rodgers' decision again. I mean it shows just how much of a bummer that can be when the DJ pick worked out better than anyone could've realistically hoped and yet we STILL made the wrong choice there.

Bowser
12-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Say we pick in the mid to late 20's. What would be the consensus if we took either Christian McCaffery or Dalvin Cook (as was suggested in another thread) over the names listed here? Would you be a fan or would you be pissed?

Saccopoo
12-12-2016, 05:41 PM
]People still think Cunningham will fall into the mid/late 20s?[/B]

Man, I figured the Jack and Jaylon love from last year (prior to their injuries) would've convinced folks that rangy ILBs are the rage right now, especially guys that can hold their own at the point of attack.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cunningham go top 10. It's not a given, but it's definitely a possibility, especially if he tests well (and there's no reason he shouldn't). 2 down lineman like Ragland are falling farther than they would have in years past but the legit 3-down guys are likely to explode up draft boards and I don't see any reason not to believe that Cunningham isn't going to follow that path.

If he fell, I would consider taking him ahead of a QB. I'm just a little terrified about making the 'DJ v. Rodgers' decision again. I mean it shows just how much of a bummer that can be when the DJ pick worked out better than anyone could've realistically hoped and yet we STILL made the wrong choice there.

Not a chance.

He's having a monster season and is head and shoulders above anyone at the position in the draft.

And if he did, which is not likely, I would take him in a New York minute.

BryanBusby
12-12-2016, 08:09 PM
It will come down to how he works out in Indy. If he falls into the early 20's, the Chiefs would be stupid to not pick up the phone and start working on a trade up.

kccrow
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM

Because top 10 doesn't happen. Also because those that have went top 20 ran like CBs.

This rage has resulted in:

Darron Lee - 20th overall pick 2016
Shaq Thompson - 25th overall pick 2015
Ryan Shazier - 15th overall pick 2014 and one of the fastest LBs ever at a combine (4.38).

I'd venture to say that Cunningham runs at or slower than Thompson, who ran a 4.60. He's nowhere near Lee (4.47) or Shazier. I'd also think he finds a similar range to Thompson.

Chief Northman
12-13-2016, 10:16 PM

If Cunningham is in reach come draft day, you take him.

There is no "Rodgers" to be had in this draft unless you deplete all your assets to reach on a guy like Kizer or Trubisky whom I feel will both go top 10.

kccrow
12-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Major update to my #1 pick and a couple others.

kccrow
12-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Anyone have opinions on Rudolph, Lee, Yancey, and Augusta most specifically?

Made an update and forgot to talk about it.

I realllly like Marquel Lee for this defense though.

RunKC
12-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Never draft a Big 12 QB. They haven't worked out in years

BryanBusby
12-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Anyone have opinions on Rudolph, Lee, Yancey, and Augusta most specifically?

Made an update and forgot to talk about it.

I realllly like Marquel Lee for this defense though.
Augusta is just a big ol body that's hard to move. Could be a quality gap clogger, which would be a fine choice at the end of the draft.

I think Rudolph has potential.

kccrow
12-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Despite rolling in their bowl game, apparently Mason Rudolph and James Washington announced that they are going to return for their Senior year's at Oklahoma State. So, that means he probably shreds the Big 12 next year and ends up a top-10 pick... and I cry. Working on a new mock...

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Despite rolling in their bowl game, apparently Mason Rudolph and James Washington announced that they are going to return for their Senior year's at Oklahoma State. So, that means he probably shreds the Big 12 next year and ends up a top-10 pick... and I cry. Working on a new mock...

Damn those kids for pursuing their education!!@!:cuss:

:D

BryanBusby
12-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Rudolph was going to need some strong workouts to power himself into the first, so I can't blame him too much.

No fucking idea what Washington was thinking though. At worst, he was a Day 2 selection.

kccrow
12-31-2016, 11:25 PM
Now that I'm done crying about two kids "pursuing their educations" in some meaningless degree like communications, I'm going to scream for another and hope like hell he declares. :D

With that, mock is updated.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-31-2016, 11:38 PM
I like the way you worked your off season plan. Though some are likely to throw shit-fits about move #2, we've reached a point where it is what it is.

BryanBusby
01-01-2017, 01:13 AM
That's a pretty rough mock.

I can't see McMillian going in the first round. Reminds me too much of Ramik Wilson, so I'm really not a fan of him in this Defense at all.

Hunter Dimick is rather early at that slot.

Can't see Dorsey going CB again unless they don't think Mitchell will stick. Need to let the young players actually develop.

Don't see the point pissing another Day 3 pick on riftraft QB.

Rest of the picks are fine

On the QB front, I can't help but think that the Chiefs will eagerly turn in a card with Deshaun Watsons name on it if he makes it to their pick. I think he fits the Offense extremely well, while not being nearly as limited as Alex is and isn't a mental midget.

kccrow
01-01-2017, 04:54 AM
That's a pretty rough mock.

I can't see McMillian going in the first round. Reminds me too much of Ramik Wilson, so I'm really not a fan of him in this Defense at all.

Hunter Dimick is rather early at that slot.

Can't see Dorsey going CB again unless they don't think Mitchell will stick. Need to let the young players actually develop.

Don't see the point pissing another Day 3 pick on riftraft QB.

Rest of the picks are fine

On the QB front, I can't help but think that the Chiefs will eagerly turn in a card with Deshaun Watsons name on it if he makes it to their pick. I think he fits the Offense extremely well, while not being nearly as limited as Alex is and isn't a mental midget.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded comment, but if that's what your opinion is, so it is. I don't see the attack mentality in Wilson. I don't see the lower-the-boom when you can mentality in Wilson. I don't see the range McMillan has with Wilson. I don't see the leadership. Announcers have been comparing him to Derrick Johnson at Texas and did so again tonight. I tend to think of him more in that light too, much more so than Ramik Wilson. I always thought Wilson was soft at Georgia and I never liked the pick. McMillan is anything but soft. Kid played one fucking hell of a game tonight with heart when OSU was getting their shit pounded in elsewhere. I respect the kid. Never saw that kind of heart with Wilson. Probably never will.

Dimick is being highly underrated by CBS Sports and other draft sites at this point. You don't lead his conference in sacks, and post respectable numbers for 3 year without the NFL taking significant notice. He's a better prospect than the kid from Boise that went round 2 last year, Correa, or Kikaha that went in round 2 in 2015. He's going to ascend way up the "boards' prior to the draft just like those 2, especially if he has any sort of decent workout.

After that though, respectable points. I think Watson is in play despite my thoughts on him. He's that mobile type that Reid has primarily employed.

While I agree about not spending another mid-round pick on a QB, if the Chiefs do not strike early then it is likely they go to that pot once again. They can't possibly retain Foles and Smith at their current price tags and the only other QB on the team right now is Joel Stave from Wisconsin. Not good. They'll need another guy that at least has potential.

kccrow
01-01-2017, 04:59 AM
I like the way you worked your off season plan. Though some are likely to throw shit-fits about move #2, we've reached a point where it is what it is.

I think its a decision the team has to make at this point in time. The team is more important than hanging on to nostalgia. Jamaal is past his prime. Poe and Berry are in there primes and are significant pieces to the defense. Poe is everything a 3-4 NT needs to be and Berry is the leader of the team. I just can't justify KC letting either walk at this point. We've seen KC succeed with Jamaal for a few seasons now. Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a fan of his as anyone, but it all boils down to a business decision. If the Chief can fit Poe and Berry in and cut Jamaal down to about 2 mil for the 2017 season, I could live with that.

BryanBusby
01-01-2017, 07:38 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on Dimick and McMillian.

I like Dimick, but I just think you're taking him a good full round too early. He's probably going to time poorly in Indy which will sink his momentum. Being productive is good, and he had a good season yes, but I don't think he faced that great of competition considering he played in a power conference.

McMillian is a 2 down backer that doesn't have the best closing speed or the best ability to fight blockers. I think he's like Ramik in the sense that Ramik is like Donnie Edwards. Racked up a lot of tackles after a guy had already racked up a fair amount of positive yardage. Sure he can hit hard, but that also leads him to being over aggressive and completely out of position, which will lead to big plays being given up that shouldn't happen.

I think your OSU glasses are giving him a more favorable look.

I would be okay if it was stacked more like

1. Watson
2. McMillian
3. Dimick

Although I think the Chiefs would probably have more interest in someone like Damore'ea Stringefellow in the 2nd (a lot like Treadwell, who the Chiefs tried to move up for) and would save ILB for early Day 3.

O.city
01-01-2017, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't be upset trading up for the ilb from Alabama if he gets into the low 20s.

Unless Watson is still around. Love that guy

kccrow
01-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Given that Watson is a smaller, slower, less accurate version of Marcus Mariota, perhaps he'd be passable in the NFL. I'm sure not thrilled with his NFL projection though.

BryanBusby
01-01-2017, 07:24 PM
That's a real not good way to describe Watson.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2017, 11:32 AM
That's a real not good way to describe Watson.

How 'bout a smarter Vince Young?

We saw the good and the bad with Watson last week, IMO. He was still incredibly erratic early in that game. The accuracy just comes and goes and when it's gone, he's a massive liability.

That worries me quite a bit. There are a lot of rough edges on Watson and no middle ground with him. If he fixes his feet/mechanics, he can be a good one (provided he stays healthy AND adapts to the pro game), if he doesn't fix his feet, he's not even a viable backup. That's a shitload of risk. I'd probably take him in the late 1st still, but he's not a guy I'd trade up for.

Watching that same game, I'm a little intrigued by Malik Hooker. I just don't know that I'd be willing to use a 1st on him and I think that's what it would take (I don't think he'll leave early without a 1st round grade). That kid's a ballplayer, though. Perhaps not as physical as I'd like but as a pure FS, he'd be a baller. I just don't know if he works alongside Parker; too much finesse back there.

BryanBusby
01-02-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm not a fan of Dabo when it comes to having guys ready to be NFL players when they leave Clemson.

I don't blame him as its his job to win football games and not be a free pipeline to billion dollar franchises. I mean shit, most of them look at a KFC building, a yellow circle, Jenna Jameson fisting herself and a mechanical pencil and go oh ok a screen pass.

His issues look correctable and the Chiefs have the staff and the ability to have patience with him and fix the issues.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm not a fan of Dabo when it comes to having guys ready to be NFL players when they leave Clemson.

I don't blame him as its his job to win football games and not be a free pipeline to billion dollar franchises. I mean shit, most of them look at a KFC building, a yellow circle, Jenna Jameson fisting herself and a mechanical pencil and go oh ok a screen pass.

His issues look correctable and the Chiefs have the staff and the ability to have patience with him and fix the issues.

Apart from sheer size, few things are harder to correct than piss-poor mechanics made habit by years of repetition.

And frankly, size is a hell of a lot easier to scheme around.

His mechanics aren't quite as bad as say, Tim Tebows, but they're bad enough as to not be NFL caliber. So they'll need a pretty thorough overhaul. So much so, in fact, that you're bordering on the whole frame-off rebuild that Tebow would've needed.

Did you see Tebow's mechanical issues as 'correctable'?

Footwork and mechanics have sunk many a productive college QB at the next level. You just cannot get away with any kind of inconsistency at the next level. Your arm has to do exactly what you expect it to do every single time and to do that, your entire base has to be rock solid and repeatable. Watson's isn't.

Like I said - depending on who's available, I'd consider Watson, but don't whistle past the graveyard with him. There's a chance - and not a small one - that he's never an NFL caliber player.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Hey Crow, what's your take on TT's Pat Mahomes? The only consistent knock on him I'm finding is criticism of the scheme that he's playing under.
From what I've seen, he's got a good touch in terms of being able to accurately deliver both a high-velocity zip between defenders, and an airy "float" on longer routes which the receiver doesn't have to slow down or over-extend himself to complete.
Your opinion?

BryanBusby
01-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Apart from sheer size, few things are harder to correct than piss-poor mechanics made habit by years of repetition.

And frankly, size is a hell of a lot easier to scheme around.

His mechanics aren't quite as bad as say, Tim Tebows, but they're bad enough as to not be NFL caliber. So they'll need a pretty thorough overhaul. So much so, in fact, that you're bordering on the whole frame-off rebuild that Tebow would've needed.

Did you see Tebow's mechanical issues as 'correctable'?

Footwork and mechanics have sunk many a productive college QB at the next level. You just cannot get away with any kind of inconsistency at the next level. Your arm has to do exactly what you expect it to do every single time and to do that, your entire base has to be rock solid and repeatable. Watson's isn't.

Like I said - depending on who's available, I'd consider Watson, but don't whistle past the graveyard with him. There's a chance - and not a small one - that he's never an NFL caliber player.
I don't think Watsons mechanics are as bad off as you do.

Tebow had a lot more issues than just mechanics.

Watson would be going to one of the best Offensive Coaches in the NFL if the Chiefs took him. Andy took Vick from coming off the street after being in prison, with some of the shittiest mechanics, and turned him into a passer that nobody thought could be done.

kccrow
01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Hey Crow, what's your take on TT's Pat Mahomes? The only consistent knock on him I'm finding is criticism of the scheme that he's playing under.
From what I've seen, he's got a good touch in terms of being able to accurately deliver both a high-velocity zip between defenders, and an airy "float" on longer routes which the receiver doesn't have to slow down or over-extend himself to complete.
Your opinion?

I'd bet 90% of college QB's don't run an NFL-style scheme anymore, so I think the paradigm of thought about that is going to have to begin to change. I think you have to begin looking more at what he's asked to do from a read perspective, something I can't answer with even 50% accuracy, and then look at mechanics, pocket awareness, and footwork.

It appears that what he's asked to do at TT is more than just a hot read offense. He seems to keep his eyes down field and go through some progressions. How complex the scheme is for him or how many reads he has, I have no idea. It just seems like he does fine in that regard.

His throwing mechanics on the top half are good. He has a relatively compact, quick release. Things change with his feet. He's not sloppy as much as he has bad habits. He tends to know how to set his feet and make a good, accurate throw. The problem is that he doesn't do it enough.

He has a bad habit of throwing off his back foot. He has a bad habit of scrambling and not setting his feet to throw. He also lets himself get lead feet and doesn't keep his feet active and moving with him as he scans down field. Those things have to be corrected. He loses way too much velocity on his passes when he does them, and that's going to lead to NFL INTs rather than the TDs he got in college.

He has a terribly bad habit of hanging onto the ball too long, dropping it down, patting it, and so forth. I don't like this. Make a decision and throw the football. He's in trouble if he does this in the NFL.

He has a terrible habit of dropping backwards and scrambling out of his pocket, rather than stepping up into it. Given that he starts out of the pistol or shotgun 99% of the time, this is extremely concerning. He has bad habits in a situation that gives him more time than he'll see in the NFL.

It may seem like I'm being overly critical of the guy, because I am. He has a lot of issues with his feet and if he doesn't change them, he's going to bust.

I would not draft him in round 1. Maybe round 2, and hope like hell my position coaches could fix some really bad habits because the kid does have a good arm when he's set to deliver the football correctly. I might change that outlook if I see positive changes in his footwork after he gets some pre-draft coaching, but that's where it is now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-03-2017, 03:57 PM
I'd bet 90% of college QB's don't run an NFL-style scheme anymore, so I think the paradigm of thought about that is going to have to begin to change-

Thanks, Crow.

I was thinking more of a round 3 pick, but I don't see that happening as the market is going to be overvalued this year. I've watched some clips on each of the "top 5" guys this year and outside of Trubisky( whom I would grudgingly part a #2 for ), I'm not seeing much to get excited about.

Kizer and Watson have some nice athleticism, but nothing about either of them screams "prototype NFL passer" to me. I would however take a "Tyler Bray"-flier on Chad Kelly if the opportunity was there.

Thanks!

BryanBusby
01-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Mahomes is a guy that should be Round 3 but someone will fall in loze with his arm and size. He's gonna go early 2nd.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Mahomes is a guy that should be Round 3 but someone will fall in loze with his arm and size. He's gonna go early 2nd.

Yep.

KChiefs1
01-06-2017, 12:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-3-0-six-quarterbacks-land-in-two-round-projection-151720662.htm

30. Kansas City Chiefs — Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk