jjchieffan
09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Marcellus
09-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Good article.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2016, 12:53 PM
I feel like people are undervaluing the play of Gaines.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2016, 01:07 PM
So to go way off track, there was a WWII mission undertaken by the British called Operation Mincemeat. It took them months of planning but the end result was them chucking a dead body into the ocean and having it wash up with 'lost' British intelligence for the Germans. It was all fake but they put so much effort into creating a backstory that even after cross-checking it, the Germans bought it. They redirected their defense to Sardinia out of Sicily. This made the Allied invasion of Sicily much easier.

An unexpected but welcomed result of all this was that the Germans never trusted anything they found from that point forward, including a bunch of stuff that would've been hugely damaging to the Allied cause. They simply could not convince themselves that they weren't getting duped again.

Now, full circle to Marcus Peters. Peters spends so much time baiting QBs into thinking guys are open only to pick them off that I think you'll start to see QBs that flat won't trust their eyes against him on occasion. He'll have bit too hard or missed on a route and a QB will look over there and decide "nah, I'm not gonna let him fool me on this one". So instead of letting it fly and taking advantage of Peters aggression when it backfires, they'll simply look elsewhere because they won't believe that Peters isn't just setting them up again.

That's the kind of fear/respect that takes awhile to develop and I think over the coming weeks we'll see it more and more. There will be times when Peters is beat and the opposing QB just won't believe it so they won't throw that way. The gambler's mentality will cause some coverage breakdowns for him but it will also help mask them a bit.

O.city
09-28-2016, 01:10 PM
That's deep man.

ptlyon
09-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Just like what they did with Rock Ridge

Easy 6
09-28-2016, 01:12 PM
So to go way off track, there was a WWII mission undertaken by the British called Operation Mincemeat. It took them months of planning but the end result was them chucking a dead body into the ocean and having it wash up with 'lost' British intelligence for the Germans. It was all fake but they put so much effort into creating a backstory that even after cross-checking it, the Germans bought it. They redirected their defense to Sardinia out of Sicily. This made the Allied invasion of Sicily much easier.

An unexpected but welcomed result of all this was that the Germans never trusted anything they found from that point forward, including a bunch of stuff that would've been hugely damaging to the Allied cause. They simply could not convince themselves that they weren't getting duped again.

Now, full circle to Marcus Peters. Peters spends so much time baiting QBs into thinking guys are open only to pick them off that I think you'll start to see QBs that flat won't trust their eyes against him on occasion. He'll have bit too hard or missed on a route and a QB will look over there and decide "nah, I'm not gonna let him fool me on this one". So instead of letting it fly and taking advantage of Peters aggression when it backfires, they'll simply look elsewhere because they won't believe that Peters isn't just setting them up again.

That's the kind of fear/respect that takes awhile to develop and I think over the coming weeks we'll see it more and more. There will be times when Peters is beat and the opposing QB just won't believe it so they won't throw that way. The gambler's mentality will cause some coverage breakdowns for him but it will also help mask them a bit.

Using a tale of WWII subterfuge to illustrate your point about a cornerbacks effect on a football game... now THATS what I call a post

RealSNR
09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Somebody better call a proctologist. He'll probably need help removing that article

SAUTO
09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
And people are saying this place is going downhill.

Find another post as deep as djln on any other piece of shit chiefs board

Marcellus
09-28-2016, 03:28 PM

No shit that was good stuff.

OldSchool
09-28-2016, 03:34 PM
In Marcus Peters?

threebag
09-28-2016, 08:22 PM

It's the troll work by Clay and the tripettes that is dragging this place down. Imagine having to read his constant bullshit.

DJ :thumb:

CupidStunt
09-28-2016, 08:38 PM
He's a unique player. Maybe the Ed Reed of corners? I dunno. You don't see guys like this often. Most corners can barely even catch; they just practice covering and do everything they can to run with guys. Peters is like you're playing Madden, holding the L button and waiting to hit Y to get that USER PICK.

Psyko Tek
09-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Using a tale of WWII subterfuge to illustrate your point about a cornerbacks effect on a football game... now THATS what I call a post

If he can explain how Andy's play calling is like an Enigma machine I will be impressed

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Picture caption says he's the most dangerous in off-coverage? I'm under the impression that he allows the fewest productivity in press?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-28-2016, 08:53 PM

He's extremely talented at shadowing but needs to work on looking for the ball. Otherwise I'm content with the rest including his field awareness and tackling ability.

In58men
09-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Is it because he never looks back at the ball?

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Is it because he never looks back at the ball?

If Gaines is the weak link in your secondary, it's pretty fucking goddamn good, Oompa Loompa.

TimBone
09-28-2016, 09:35 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160929/1ef99d46e30b0a5d69b4c9ca50d3d908.jpg

threebag
09-28-2016, 09:42 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160929/1ef99d46e30b0a5d69b4c9ca50d3d908.jpg

LMAO thats good enough for the 7 on ignore

DJ's left nut
09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Man, I give up on understanding this place.

I 'bout deleted that thing thinking it just looked snobby as hell but figure "fuck that, Rainman isn't the only one 'round these parts that gets to be esoteric"...

Turns out it went over better than a blowjob thread and blowjob threads tend to be pretty popular.

Your move, Rainman...

Rausch
09-30-2016, 08:41 AM

They are.

You know how?

No one is complaining about him...

Rausch
09-30-2016, 08:45 AM

Solid point. And I agree.

This week Ben won't fear hitting Brown. He's at the top of his game.

Peters needs to be able to forget the last play and concentrate on making the next one...

DJ's left nut
09-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Solid point. And I agree.

This week Ben won't fear hitting Brown. He's at the top of his game.

Peters needs to be able to forget the last play and concentrate on making the next one...

I think Brown will be lined up on Gaines quite a bit. My memory is that the Steelers tend to line Brown up on the left side of the formation fairly frequently.

Rausch
09-30-2016, 09:02 AM
I think Brown will be lined up on Gaines quite a bit. My memory is that the Steelers tend to line Brown up on the left side of the formation fairly frequently.

I'm ok with that.

If I had to force a comparison Gaines is Hasty and Peters is Dale Carter.

I'd prefer to have Brown on Gaines side...

DJ's left nut
09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
I'm ok with that.

If I had to force a comparison Gaines is Hasty and Peters is Dale Carter.

I'd prefer to have Brown on Gaines side...

I'd say 'force' is pretty much what you did there. Gaines and Hasty aren't even remotely similar. They're polar opposites in makeup and style, IMO. And while Peters and Carter both take risks and force turnovers, Peters gets there through setting up guys and just reading routes like nobody's business. Carter did it through raw, stupid athleticism (he may still be the most athletic CB I've ever seen). Again, the results may be similar but their respective approaches couldn't be much more different (Peters essentially play like Hasty but adds Carter's willingness to gamble)

Hell, Gaines - Carr and Peters - Flowers seems a little closer than that. Honestly, I can't think of a good analogue. Maybe Gaines as Kevin Ross and Peters as Albert Lewis? Old folks: Gaines as Jim Marsalis and Peters as Emmitt Thomas? Thomas seems like the best historical comparison for Peters but I have absolutely no knowledge as to how Jim Marsalis actually played.

O.city
09-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Was carter really THAT athletic? I don't remember

DJ's left nut
09-30-2016, 10:26 AM

I remember seeing Charles Woodson play for the first time and thinking "Man, that kid's a lot like Dale Carter..."

Athletically, they were extremely similar. Woodson took Carter's athleticism and combined it with uncanny feel for the position.

HemiEd
09-30-2016, 11:24 AM

I agree, good article but Gaines deserves some respect as well

ILChief
09-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Gaines has the bartee inability to turn his head. Nelson has been a beast.

Pitt Gorilla
09-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Gaines has the bartee inability to turn his head. Nelson has been a beast.id rather he remain on his guy than turn his head and lose him. He'll get a better feel for the ball down the road.

SAUTO
09-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Man, I give up on understanding this place.

I 'bout deleted that thing thinking it just looked snobby as hell but figure "fuck that, Rainman isn't the only one 'round these parts that gets to be esoteric"...

Turns out it went over better than a blowjob thread and blowjob threads tend to be pretty popular.

Your move, Rainman...

Oooooooooooooo

Brain fight

Fuck yeah

SAUTO
09-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Yes.

I saw him jump over a Cadillac at 27th and prospect one night in 1993.