PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The Electronic Ice Cream Maker Machine and Recipe Thread

Trivers
10-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Electronic Ice Cream Makers.......

What brand and type do you own?

Fav recipes?

Two types:

1. Removable mixing container that you have to pre-freeze:

No timer:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475334676&sr=8-1&keywords=ice-30

With timer and settings:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-70-Electronic-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00MVWGUYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475335310&sr=8-1&keywords=ice-70

2. Built in compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OZ62IG/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH5409

For years, I've used the traditional ice cream maker that requires lots of salt and ice and makes a mess outside.

Looking at the electronic versions.

I just can't justify spending $400 for an ice cream machine. Leaning towards the $110 ICE-70.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-01-2016, 11:28 AM
1. Go to store

2. Grab whatever Edys intrigues at the time.

listopencil
10-01-2016, 03:29 PM
What is the protocol for referring to a device as 'electronic' as opposed to 'electric'? See, when I saw your thread I title I thought it was a bit odd. If you're talking about a device that functions manually but uses electricity as an energy source for convenience then I think that's an electric whatever. If you're talking about a device that requires some sort of electronic control mechanism in order to function then I think that's an electronic whatever. So an ice cream maker that uses a motor powered by electricity for convenience to replace the churning and/or keep the stuff cold would be an electric ice cream maker. But a microwave would be an electronic oven.

mr. tegu
10-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I am planning to get the ice cream maker attachment for our kitchenaid stand mixer soon. It looks pretty easy and the ice cream I have had from it is good.

srvy
10-01-2016, 11:18 PM
I got a Cuisinart like 10 years or more ago. When I got it I was getting heavy whipped cream and half and half seemed every other day. Next thing I knew I was letting out belt holes till I needed a new belt. I had a monkey on my back and it was a bitch I boxed that sucker up and put it downstairs under the stairwell storage get it out once or twice a year. I should put this in the addiction thread. Anyway Cuisinart is a good one but unless you got good self control prepare to stack on the pounds:)

Trivers
10-02-2016, 08:18 AM
I got a Cuisinart like 10 years or more ago. When I got it I was getting heavy whipped cream and half and half seemed every other day. Next thing I knew I was letting out belt holes till I needed a new belt. I had a monkey on my back and it was a bitch I boxed that sucker up and put it downstairs under the stairwell storage get it out once or twice a year. I should put this in the addiction thread. Anyway Cuisinart is a good one but unless you got good self control prepare to stack on the pounds:)

Ice cream is my biggest addiction....besides working. :)

So I hear ya.

Looking forward to experimenting with sugar substitutes and sorbets, etc.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 09:34 AM
1. Go to store

2. Grab whatever Edys intrigues at the time.

Edy's is garbage. Overrun garbage.

For mass market ice cream, Blue Bell or Breyer's. For premium, Häagen-Dazs. If you have it regionally, Graeter's out of Cincinnati is amazing.

Just my 2 cents.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
I am planning to get the ice cream maker attachment for our kitchenaid stand mixer soon. It looks pretty easy and the ice cream I have had from it is good.

Best ice cream I ever made was in my Kitchenaid just using the paddle. Get your base cold, put it in the bowl, turn on the machine, and slooowly add crushed up dry ice.

You'll get a nice firm soft serve, put it in a container and freeze it and wait a day. If you eat it before that, it'll have a slight fizziness due to the dry ice. Which is kinda cool, too.

Trivers
10-11-2016, 09:41 AM

For mass market ice cream, Blue Bell or Breyer's. For premium, Häagen-Dazs. If you have it regionally, Graeter's out of Cincinnati is amazing.

Just my 2 cents.

Now that Krogers sells Graters by the quart.....Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is heaven.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Now that Krogers sells Graters by the quart.....Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is heaven.

I've never had anything by Graeter's that wasn't awesome.

Trivers
10-11-2016, 09:55 AM
I've never had anything by Graeter's that wasn't awesome.

A few years back I inquired about a franchise for Salt Lake City, but was told that they have no desire to franchise their business.

In times of silly nonsense, I think of starting a ice cream company that dups Graeters 5 gallon pot mfg method and distribute nationwide.

kcpasco
10-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Breyers butter pecan is like crack to me.

Trivers
10-11-2016, 10:17 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Curious, how do you know about the expression "overrun"? Do you make at home ice cream or gelato? If so, what is your fav recipe?

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Curious, how do you know about the expression "overrun"? Do you make at home ice cream or gelato? If so, what is your fav recipe?

I'm a little obsessive about food knowledge/education. I read cookbooks like novels (I read cookbooks probably 20:1 to novels); I'll even read recipes that I have no interest in making. So if I get a cookbook or a book about cooking, I'll read the whole thing, not just the recipes. I learn a lot that way. (I really should have probably gone to culinary school instead of film school.)

I don't make it regularly, but I have made it a few times. No favorite recipe, I generally find something that looks interesting and give it a try.

Sorce
10-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Best ice cream I ever made was in my Kitchenaid just using the paddle. Get your base cold, put it in the bowl, turn on the machine, and slooowly add crushed up dry ice.

You'll get a nice firm soft serve, put it in a container and freeze it and wait a day. If you eat it before that, it'll have a slight fizziness due to the dry ice. Which is kinda cool, too.

Hadn't thought of that, my wife wants to get the ice cream attachment but that's more stuff to store, might have to give the dry ice thing a try.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Hadn't thought of that, my wife wants to get the ice cream attachment but that's more stuff to store, might have to give the dry ice thing a try.

It's awesome and takes 2-3 minutes. Almost as good as liquid nitrogen. It freezes the base so quickly, you end up with this supremely creamy ice cream. I can't recommend it enough.

MTG#10
10-11-2016, 04:07 PM

Just my 2 cents.

One thing is absolute, if you post about a particular brand of food you enjoy FMB will be along shortly to tell you that it sucks and his favorite brand is superior.

ROFL

The Franchise
10-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Häagen-Dazs fucking sucks.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 04:21 PM
One thing is absolute, if you post about a particular brand of food you enjoy FMB will be along shortly to tell you that it sucks and his favorite brand is superior.

ROFL

Meh. This board is based almost entirely on opinion. I'm not afraid to share mine. You calling what I like garbage isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

Back on topic, do you know what overrun is? Edy's has a shit load of it. If you prefer air to ice cream, by all means, keep getting Edy's.

MTG#10
10-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Meh. This board is based almost entirely on opinion. I'm not afraid to share mine. You calling what I like garbage isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

Back on topic, do you know what overrun is? Edy's has a shit load of it. If you prefer air to ice cream, by all means, keep getting Edy's.

Just bustin' your balls. I dont think Ive ever had Edy's, and no, I have no clue.

Fire Me Boy!
10-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Just bustin' your balls. I dont think Ive ever had Edy's, and no, I have no clue.

Overrun is how much air is whipped into the ice cream. There's a balance between not enough overrun (dense, hard ice cream) and too much (too light, melts faster, customer is paying for less actual product). Edy's is on the high end of the scale.