PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Foles is a poor man's Alex Smith

cdcox
10-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Just trying to get out in front of this. If we eventually escape from Alex in a couple of years is it mandatory that we pin our hopes on Foles for 2-3 additional years? Exactly WTF is the point? I'm fine with Alex. Let's ride his blessed ass to Cassel land. But when we have found him inadequate, who seriously wants to try Alex part two on clearance at Walmart just to give AR a chance to FINALLY prove his dogma about the efficacy of the sideways passing game?

Nickhead
10-04-2016, 01:10 AM
i always thought of alex as a rich mans cassel. then i thought he was better than that, now i wonder.

he's gotta seriously pull a rabbit out of his ass the rest of the season.

Demonpenz
10-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Where is Alex's running game. Can't even run the Reid option anymore?

MIAdragon
10-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Don't think anyone is anointing Foles the QBofTF or anything. We have a known quantity in Alex and it sucks, would be nice to see if Foles can be any better.

KCUnited
10-04-2016, 05:45 AM
It's a no quinn situation for Chiefs fans.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2016, 06:58 AM
The Foles acquisition definitely made me uneasy. It seems like a convenient way for Reid to avoid having to trade high picks or draft a QB in 2-3 years.

If that happens I'm guessing Reid retires at 62 or 63, having accomplished nothing in KC, and then we finally draft a QB with the next coach.

But at least we'll have Dorsey.

I guess after 20 years 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Aspengc8
10-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Where is Alex's running game. Can't even run the Reid option anymore?

read option was a big part of their spread offense last year. I have not seen him run it once this year, just those silly speed options out of heavy sets.

Red Dawg
10-04-2016, 07:16 AM
I don't think anyone really wants Foles to be our guy but he's better than Smith for certain and if this franchise wants to try and really win this season then Alex should be benched because he's played that bad. We need to draft a QB and try that route for a change since we've tried all other avenues. The only QB's to win the SB in the last numerous years were home grown QB's. Peyton and Brees being the two exceptions and Peyton was really not a factor Brady, Wilson, Eli, Flacco and Ben are all home grown.

In the 90's most of them were also. It's hit or miss with QB's and you never really know until they play but what have we got to lose? This city has not won the SB in so long it's plain sad. At least the Browns put some effort to trying to get a QB than can win.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
10-04-2016, 07:23 AM
read option was a big part of their spread offense last year. I have not seen him run it once this year, just those silly speed options out of heavy sets.

Game winning td was read option against SD. He's run it with west a couple times too

TigeRRUppeRRcut
10-04-2016, 07:24 AM
I don't think anyone really wants Foles to be our guy but he's better than Smith for certain and if this franchise wants to try and really win this season then Alex should be benched because he's played that bad. We need to draft a QB and try that route for a change since we've tried all other avenues. The only QB's to win the SB in the last numerous years were home grown QB's. Peyton and Brees being the two exceptions and Peyton was really not a factor Brady, Wilson, Eli, Flacco and Ben are all home grown.

In the 90's most of them were also. It's hit or miss with QB's and you never really know until they play but what have we got to lose? This city has not won the SB in so long it's plain sad. At least the Browns put some effort to trying to get a QB than can win.

7 TDs and 10 INTs last season somehow makes Foles better than Smith??

Aspengc8
10-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Game winning td was read option against SD. He's run it with west a couple times too

That was more of a speed option. They used to run read options all the time out of spread.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 07:52 AM
You guys will be really disappointed if Foles is starting for chefs.

WhiteWhale
10-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Umm.. Foles has one of the highest rates of throwing downfield in the NFL.

That's not to say he's better, but he's sure as shit not the same type of QB to anyone who actually watches football.

Red Dawg
10-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Foles will attempt to get TD's. That fact alone makes him better than Smith. Any QB would be better than Smith because he's the only QB in the league completely adverse to attempting to score TD's.

What team besides ours would actually play a QB game after game that can't move the offense and score? He couldn't do it last season and he can't do it this season but still he gets to start.

Red Dawg
10-04-2016, 08:24 AM
You guys will be really disappointed if Foles is starting for chefs.

Can only get better. Smith is unwatchable bad and no one in the league would make him their starter but us. That's how stupid our franchise is.

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm not looking for a quarterback of the future. How about a quarterback of the present? I think Alex has had enough chances to prove he isn't what he is.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Umm.. Foles has one of the highest rates of throwing downfield in the NFL.

That's not to say he's better, but he's sure as shit not the same type of QB to anyone who actually watches football.
This is comical. He checks down more than Smith. Pull up the pass logs from last year. He was benched for Keenum for fucks sakes.

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 08:51 AM
This is comical. He checks down more than Smith. Pull up the pass logs from last year. He was benched for Keenum for fucks sakes.

Using only last year to evaluate Foles is pretty fucking stupid.

ARROW2
10-04-2016, 08:54 AM

He throws DOWN THE FIELD. FUCK the low INT rate. How did you like MR. SAFE'S INT Sunday night?

loochy
10-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Does a guy that gets laid by 10 supermodels but is rejected by 15 have more game than the loser that has been laid 17 times and never been rejected because he only goes after ugly fatties?

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 09:14 AM
27 Tds and 2 interceptions a few years ago. He looked good under Reid his rookie season as well. Which QB is he really? We don't know. I'm ready to find out because I can't stand watching Alex Smith.

WhiteWhale
10-04-2016, 09:22 AM
This is comical. He checks down more than Smith. Pull up the pass logs from last year. He was benched for Keenum for ****s sakes.

You ****ing idiot.

https://media.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/QB-2130-pct1.png

Notice Where Alex is, and notice where Foles is.

Again, I'm not saying he's necessarily better, but the only thing comical is you laughing at people who are right. Adults are talking. Go to your room.

Nobody throws deep on a Jeff Fisher team. That's why he's mr. 7-9. In terms of his career, he takes the shots.

CupidStunt
10-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Foles is awful. I'd easily rather see him than Smith, but that's only because he's not Smith. Unfortunately our team will not be relevant (and certainly boring as fuck to watch) for many years to come.

loochy
10-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Foles is awful. I'd easily rather see him than Smith, but that's only because he's not Smith. Unfortunately our team will not be relevant (and certainly boring as **** to watch) for many years to come.

Does the following sound familiar?

Orton is awful. I'd easily rather see him than Cassel, but that's only because he's not Cassel. Unfortunately our team will not be relevant (and certainly boring as **** to watch) for many years to come.

TimBone
10-04-2016, 10:20 AM
I think Alex has had enough chances to prove he isn't what he is.

lol, wut?

TimBone
10-04-2016, 10:22 AM
You ****ing idiot.

Again, I'm not saying he's necessarily better, but the only thing comical is you laughing at people who are right. Adults are talking. Go to your room.

Nobody throws deep on a Jeff Fisher team. That's why he's mr. 7-9. In terms of his career, he takes the shots.
Right up there with the likes of Whitehurst, Kaep, and Glennon!

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 10:24 AM
lol, wut?

That is top notch wordsmithing right there. Do not question.

It really does say exactly what I meant.

loochy
10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
That is top notch wordsmithing right there. Do not question.

It really does say exactly what I meant.

But he is who he is because if he wasn't who he is then he wouldn't be him. He'd be someone else.

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
But he is who he is because if he wasn't who he is then he wouldn't be him. He'd be someone else.

We could only hope.

loochy
10-04-2016, 10:31 AM
We could only hope.

I wonder if we can kidnap big Ben...or maybe Dak Prescott.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
You ****ing idiot.

You're not fooling me with those cherry pick stats. Notice Kyle Orton is on that list and Charlie Whitehurst. Pull up last year's stats. Foles is garbage no matter how you spin it but he's perfect for the Chiefs. You guys are obsessed with starting retreads and has been versus drafting someone.

Discuss Thrower
10-04-2016, 11:15 AM
You're not fooling me with those cherry pick stats. Notice Kyle Orton is on that list and Charlie Whitehurst. Pull up last year's stats. Foles is garbage no matter how you spin it but he's perfect for the Chiefs. You guys are obsessed with starting retreads and has been versus drafting someone.

Because Jeff Fisher is adept at getting the most out of his QBs.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Because Jeff Fisher is adept at getting the most out of his QBs.

I did notice the poster who posted stats from 2 years ago left out the whole article because Foles was not good at completing those passes. I hope to god you guys make him your future QB. He sucks.

Discuss Thrower
10-04-2016, 11:18 AM
I did notice the poster who posted stats from 2 years ago left out the whole article because Foles was not good at completing those passes. I hope to god you guys make him your future QB. He sucks.

Foles very well may suck, but I don't see how he can be any worse than Smith is now.

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 11:40 AM
The Raider fan thinks we should keep playing Alex Smith. Color me surprised.

CupidStunt
10-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Does the following sound familiar?

Orton is awful. I'd easily rather see him than Cassel, but that's only because he's not Cassel. Unfortunately our team will not be relevant (and certainly boring as **** to watch) for many years to come.

Sure. Completely true also. What's your point? That the Chiefs haven't changed a bit since then? Well, that's exactly MY point! And in 5 years we'll be saying "I'd rather see [insert bad QB] than [insert retread, bad QB]"! It never ends. :shake:

loochy
10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Sure. Completely true also. What's your point? That the Chiefs haven't changed a bit since then? Well, that's exactly MY point! And in 5 years we'll be saying "I'd rather see [insert bad QB] than [insert retread, bad QB]"! It never ends. :shake:

Yes. It's an evil cycle of pain and misery. Also remember that Orton looked just awesome at first...because we were so used to Cassel. He came in and whipped that ball around all sexy like. Then we realized that he sucks too.

KCCHIEFS27
10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
But guys, Alex is hurt. So it is limiting the offensive scheme right now. They don't wanna bring in Foles because then it would open up a QB controversy. He'll heal up during this bye week and come out slinging it in Oaktown. Hopefully. But probably not.

WhiteWhale
10-04-2016, 11:57 AM

I never said he WAS good at completing them you brain dead trilobyte. I said he attempts them more. I'm pretty firm in the 'Foles isn't a good QB' Camp.

YOU claimed he checked down more than Smith because he did it for one season with the Rams while smith has been doing it for his entire career.

I'm right, and you're wrong. Your attempts to re-frame the argument fail. The end. Just accept that you were wrong about Foles being more conservative than Smith and move on. The more you continue to argue this fact the more you demonstrate how fucking dumb and pointless any future discussion with you would be.

KranzDictum
10-04-2016, 11:58 AM
The Foles acquisition definitely made me uneasy. It seems like a convenient way for Reid to avoid having to trade high picks or draft a QB in 2-3 years.

If that happens I'm guessing Reid retires at 62 or 63, having accomplished nothing in KC, and then we finally draft a QB with the next coach.

But at least we'll have Dorsey.

I guess after 20 years 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

This is a good point. I could see this happening if Andy is allowed to stick around that long. I think Andy was given a pass while Manning was in the Division and going to SB's but now that he is gone and the Broncos have drafted 2 above avg QB's in the last 2 years I wonder if this is his make or break year?

Getting back on topic I think Foles is more accurate in the mid range and deep ball, not as accurate as Siemian has proven to be in his small sample size. The problem is that kc doesn't have anyone out side of Macklin to chuck the ball deep to. Not like teams are worried about Conley eating them up like Sanders would.

Foles biggest asset in Philly was the same as smith's in kc, didn't turn the ball over a lot. Then he goes to the Rams and had more INT's than TD's, I think his last Philly year he started throwing picks, maybe getting Andy back helps him protect the ball.

Doesn't really matter which QB they start, end of the day the same guy is coaching the team with his same scared Line Of Scrimmage game plans.

I am rereading Bill Walsh's book "Finding the Winning Edge" and he talks about how great franchises draft a developmental QB EVERY YEAR, you know like the Broncos have done under John's tenure. Never know when you need to play a backup due to injury like the Broncos faced Sunday.

I guess you could argue Foles was one of Andy's drafts but that was some 5 years ago and with another team that he was fired from.

Beef Supreme
10-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Pointing to Foles poor performance with that Rams team as proof he sucks isn't exactly making the case. How is Sam Bradford doing?

I think the jury is still out on Foles.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I never said he WAS good at completing them you brain dead trilobyte. I said he attempts them more. I'm pretty firm in the 'Foles isn't a good QB' Camp.

YOU claimed he checked down more than Smith because he did it for one season with the Rams while smith has been doing it for his entire career.

I'm right, and you're wrong. Your attempts to re-frame the argument fail. The end. Just accept that you were wrong about Foles being more conservative than Smith and move on. The more you continue to argue this fact the more you demonstrate how ****ing dumb and pointless any future discussion with you would be.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2014/
Here's is some more stats using the season you cherry picked. Notice Foles passes don't even go through the air a yard farther on average than Smiff. You really think Reid will plug in Foles and start tossing down the field using air Coryell offense? He will check down as much as Smith with less mobility.

OctoberFart
10-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Pointing to Foles poor performance with that Rams team as proof he sucks isn't exactly making the case. How is Sam Bradford doing?

I think the jury is still out on Foles.

He has sucked every year but one. I pray you guys make him your starter.

Easy 6
10-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Mr Cox, your computer program is faulty

Foles would put big play ability back into this team, he has a full season of proof that attests to it... he has the arm to threaten every inch of the field

Simply Red
10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Who logged into Seedy's account?

Red Dawg
10-04-2016, 12:58 PM
There is a very good chance Foles was signed so they cut bait with Smith this off season. It makes sense because Andy drafted him. If they do then Foles will have his pay upped some and he'll start in 2017. I don't like it but it may happen.

Easy 6
10-04-2016, 01:01 PM
There is a very good chance Foles was signed so they cut bait with Smith this off season. It makes sense because Andy drafted him. If they do then Foles will have his pay upped some and he'll start in 2017. I don't like it but it may happen.

Start Foles

Trade Smith to the Browns

Draft QB in round 1 or 2 in 2017

Tempest
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM

LMAO

Red Dawg
10-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Start Foles

Trade Smith to the Browns

Draft QB in round 1 or 2 in 2017

If I remember right there was a report that Andy tried to trade for Foles before Smith but Chip said no deal. If that would have happened he'd be starting now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/14/report-andy-reid-wants-to-trade-for-nick-foles/

Mr. Laz
10-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Did the coaches tell Alex not to run anymore so he doesn't get hurt or something?

Simply Red
10-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Did the coaches tell Alex not to run anymore so he doesn't get hurt or something?

no because I read on CP that our O-Line was much better this year w/ Schwartz - so that certainly can't be the reason.

Simply Red
10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I am pretty sure Mitchell Schwartz doesn't even lift.