PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink How often do you dine out?

Rain Man
10-12-2016, 08:57 PM
The accompanying poll arises from a suggestion of Fire Me Boy! The topic is dining out.

For the purposes of this discussion, we will define 'dining out' as the following:

purchasing food at a business that prepares its food on site, either for dining in the restaurant, takeout, or delivery.
Examples include a dinner out at Chili's, ordering Chinese for delivery, grabbing a burger at Fatburger to eat in the car or at home, buying food at a deli that does NOT need heating or other prep, or eating a hot dog prepared at 7/11.

Dining out does NOT include the following:

purchasing food from a grocery store, purchasing deli food that requires heating or combining ingredients, food from a business that requires heating up or preparation (e.g., take and bake pizza), or buying food at an establishment that was NOT prepared onsite (e.g., stopping at a 7/11 and buying a pack of Hoho's for dinner).

Poll to follow after a little basting and seasoning.

Bugeater
10-12-2016, 09:03 PM
We do it very little locally, but a lot when we travel.

Rain Man
10-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Here are my last seven days:

Thursday:

Breakfast: None
Lunch: Brown bagged to a meeting
Dinner: Deli food that didn't require heating

Friday

Lunch: Frozen dinner at lunch

Saturday

Lunch: Bought a BBQ sandwich at a snack bar as I took a train up Pikes Peak
Dinner: Wendy's on an outing with a guest

Sunday

Lunch: Snacks at home
Dinner: Ordered in Chinese

Monday

Lunch: Business lunch at a restaurant
Dinner: Leftover Chinese carryout from last night

Tuesday

Lunch: Made some broccoli and a baked potato at work

Wednesday

Lunch: Frozen dinner at work

I eat a lot of deli food because it's easy and it's on my walk home from work. It's generally pretty healthy too, because I get salad and some sort of chicken on most days.

So in summary, I dined out on 0 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 7 dinners, though I only had 2 meals actually in restaurants.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-12-2016, 10:05 PM
WAYYY too much

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2016, 10:21 PM
At least 8 times a month.

Generally speaking, it's specific dishes we can't make at home, such as Shop House Kitchen (Asian), Mediterranean food (Al-Wazir, RoRo's), sushi, wood fired Neapolitan pizza (800 Degrees Pizza, DeSano Bakery) and Palms Thai.

It's pretty rare that we stop at the junk food places like Jack in the Box or Wendy's.

We'll occasionally do Panda Express but they've upped their game recently and their food, at least the nearest to our home, is generally a C+ or B-.

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2016, 10:25 PM

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

I used to think that was nonsense but back in 2007, the doctor I was seeing at the time asked "What did you have for breakfast?" I replied "Nothing. I never eat breakfast".

He said "What? Why?".

Apparently, breakfast sets your blood sugar levels for the days, increases brain function and regulates your body overall. Since then, I began eating egg whites and turkey bacon and eat that (or a variation of) at least 28 days a month, if not every day.

It pretty much changed my life.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Way too much.

Rasputin
10-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Does dining out count if you go to a restaurant on lunch break and bring it back to work?

Iowanian
10-12-2016, 10:33 PM
My numbers are greatly affected based on home or work travel schedule.

As a family we don't eat out that often, when I'm on the road it could be every meal for a week.

threebag
10-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I like to fuck waitresses, i eat out a lot.

DaneMcCloud
10-12-2016, 11:13 PM
when I'm on the road it could be every meal for a week.

Man, I can't imagine being essentially forced to eat out every meal.

Pre-kids, we'd go on vacation and eat for 8 days at a time. After a while, it wouldn't matter if they served my favorite breakfast of all time (Huevos Rancheros) or a great poolside grilled burger or sushi or seafood, et al, after about 5 days or so, it would all just run together and taste blech.

Nickhead
10-12-2016, 11:23 PM
sushi's uber easy to do at home. i dont even buy pre prepped foods from the store, aside from sausages and chips.

Rain Man
10-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Does dining out count if you go to a restaurant on lunch break and bring it back to work?

Yes, that counts. It's food prepared on site that you purchased.

I'm still kind of torn about my deli purchases. It seems like it shouldn't count because I'm buying food in a grocery store, but it's really no different than a restaurant. They make food from recipes fresh on site, and I buy it and take it home to eat without doing any extra work, which is pretty much the same thing that I'd do with a takeout restaurant order. But I certainly don't view it as "dining out".

POND_OF_RED
10-12-2016, 11:40 PM
I travel for work 80% of the year, when I'm not travelling I tend to be too lazy to make anything, so I'd say I eat out for about 90% of my meals. It's not as bad as it seems. I've had some great food around the country. Try to get something local everytime and avoid the chains, but it can be very difficult and risky to find good food in some small towns.

Rasputin
10-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Yes, that counts. It's food prepared on site that you purchased.

I'm still kind of torn about my deli purchases. It seems like it shouldn't count because I'm buying food in a grocery store, but it's really no different than a restaurant. They make food from recipes fresh on site, and I buy it and take it home to eat without doing any extra work, which is pretty much the same thing that I'd do with a takeout restaurant order. But I certainly don't view it as "dining out".

I would think deli counts if your going make a sammich right away but if it's like buying groceries for later then no it shouldn't count.

At work we have a nurse that sends me on lunch runs and she buys my food so I love her for that. nOt much to chose from in this piece of shit town. The only thing decent is a Mexican restaurant and Peking Garden II doesn't suck. Other than that we have a Wendys, Taco Bell, Sonic, Pizza Slut, and Casey's General store has some good Pizza and good sammiches. Everything gets redundant though.

Nickhead
10-13-2016, 12:23 AM
I would think deli counts if your going make a sammich right away but if it's like buying groceries for later then no it shouldn't count.

At work we have a nurse that sends me on lunch runs and she buys my food so I love her for that. nOt much to chose from in this piece of shit town. The only thing decent is a Mexican restaurant and Peking Garden II doesn't suck. Other than that we have a Wendys, Taco Bell, Sonic, Pizza Slut, and Casey's General store has some good Pizza and good sammiches. Everything gets redundant though.

i miss casey's bacon cheeseburger pizza, and those gas station deep fried burritos, any premade burrito really. :D

BlackHelicopters
10-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Way too much.

Way too munch.
FYP

Rasputin
10-13-2016, 01:51 AM
i miss casey's bacon cheeseburger pizza, and those gas station deep fried burritos, any premade burrito really. :D

I used too eat a Casey's breakfast pizza everyday on the way to work for a month. I gained ten pounds and felt my arteries clogging. I wasn't even fat at the time but it was the beginning of the end of my high metabolism that kept me skinny.

Coochie liquor
10-13-2016, 03:37 AM
I almost always eat breakfast (a bowl of cereal) at home, unless I'm off on the weekend which is rare.
I usually bring my lunch (a sandwich or leftovers) unless I'm off in the weekend.
We usually eat dinner out probably 28 days a month.

Nickhead
10-13-2016, 03:40 AM
I used too eat a Casey's breakfast pizza everyday on the way to work for a month. I gained ten pounds and felt my arteries clogging. I wasn't even fat at the time but it was the beginning of the end of my high metabolism that kept me skinny.

you sir are an asshole. i had, in my love of the bcb pizza, forgotten about the brekky pie. it was good too. i actually worked at one for a short period. now ya got me thinkin... the meatlovers and taco was good too.

go to hell.

and if you tell me you had a gas station fried burrito i am going to pay someone to 'disappear you' as well :D

Saulbadguy
10-13-2016, 04:46 AM
According to Mint, I spend about $600 a month eating out.

Fire Me Boy!
10-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Once in the past 7 days, but that's an anomaly for the past couple months. When my wife quit her job, our dining out went to almost nothing. She just started her new job (with better hours and better pay) this week, so once she starts making a paycheck again, I hope we'll be able to keep it up.

KCUnited
10-13-2016, 06:11 AM
4-5x a week.

We plan and prep all our meals for Mon-Fri at home, so we rarely eat out during the week. We'll grab dinner out on Friday night, usually do a brunch over the weekend, and grab another lunch/dinner over the weekend. When eating out, we usually split an app/entree or get a couple small plates just to keep everything in moderation. We definitely cook more at home during the winter months.

Dayze
10-13-2016, 06:20 AM
we dine out alot. probably twice a week.
hell, it's just the wife and I and dining out nearly every night is damn near the same price as going to the grocery store for a week. a little more, but not by much.
we know we usually grab something for dinner twice a week, so we just go really cheap at the store to off set it.

we're both pretty much exhausted when we get home from work during the week, so cooking is the last thing we want to do. I used to love cooking, it was quite a hobby of mine. now? meh....too ****ing tired and shit is too ****ing expensive.

cdcox
10-13-2016, 06:30 AM
Over the last 7 days my wife and I were traveling 4. Since we got back I have had two business related breakfasts. We were lazy the first night we were back and ordered Panara. I worked late last night and ordered Thai. I've gotten lunch from the sandwich shop on campus every day this week.

6 breakfasts
7 lunches
6 dinners

19 out of the last 21 meals. Do I win?

Not my normal rate for sure.

DC.chief
10-13-2016, 06:52 AM
Current living arrangements making cooking difficult for me so i've been eating out a lot.

I really don't find eating out to be more expensive than making meals at home. Perheps if I was a smarter shopper and used coupons and shit.

I'll run up to the grocery store to get things for one meal and be blown away by how much it cost.

In58men
10-13-2016, 07:49 AM
When I'm at work I usually eat out for lunch everyday. I don't eat breakfast during a work week, just never have. Dinner we prolly eat out 2-3 times a week.

ThaVirus
10-13-2016, 08:12 AM
I had read an article the other day that stated last year, for the first time ever, Americans ate out more than they cooked at home.

Makes sense. Some have already mentioned that cooking at home doesn't really seem like such a bargain anymore.

ptlyon
10-13-2016, 08:32 AM
I've had some ho's for dinner but not ho ho's. Sorry if Q

O.city
10-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Maybe 2 times per week. Taking a 3 year old and a 1 year old to a restaurant isn't fun. We cook alot.

Rasputin
10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
you sir are an asshole. i had, in my love of the bcb pizza, forgotten about the brekky pie. it was good too. i actually worked at one for a short period. now ya got me thinkin... the meatlovers and taco was good too.

go to hell.

and if you tell me you had a gas station fried burrito i am going to pay someone to 'disappear you' as well :D

Oh man oh man I now remember the "Presto" gas station I think Dodge City that had those fried burrito but even BETTER they had these KICK ASS RIBS FUCKING A THEY WERE GOOOD!

Rain Man
10-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Maybe 2 times per week. Taking a 3 year old and a 1 year old to a restaurant isn't fun. We cook alot.

On behalf of society, thank you.

O.city
10-13-2016, 11:54 AM
On behalf of society, thank you.

Yeah, it's good for everyone.

MahiMike
10-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Both my wife and I are good cooks. We go out couple times a month.

Mrs. Loopner
10-13-2016, 12:35 PM
The selection of organic vegan/vegetarian places is limited

Dunit35
10-13-2016, 12:44 PM
I go 7-9 times a week. I eat a meal at my full time job 2-3 times a week and once at home. My part time job with my wife's family, they buy me lunch on both days. We usually go out to eat as a family, once a week.

On my three days off, I usually cook dinner. Although it isn't much cheaper than eating out.

Sorter
10-13-2016, 01:35 PM
My results from this past week were inflated due to traveling but generally, I eat at home.

sedated
10-13-2016, 03:28 PM
M-Th: all at home
F-Sat-Sun: occasionally one will be at home but 80% out.

lewdog
10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
A few times a month usually, and that's for dinner. Sometimes that might go up to 4-5 times a month (like this month) if we meet family for dinner somewhere or friends. We rarely eat lunch out and breakfast never.

I am cheap and eating out everyday wastes quite a bit of money. We don't skimp on groceries though. I'd gladly pay $10/lb for a nice Ribeye at the store and cook it myself.

Plus, I generally hate people so.......

SAUTO
10-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Way too fucking much

Buck
10-13-2016, 05:32 PM
0 - Breakfast
2 - Lunch
0 - Dinner
-----
2 - Total

KChiefs1
10-13-2016, 09:32 PM
A lot which is too much.

https://youtu.be/orRp9bxrSBQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threebag
10-13-2016, 10:35 PM
3 times today no hot chicks

Pasta Little Brioni
10-14-2016, 12:23 AM
None it's too stinky/MTG

BWillie
10-14-2016, 02:22 AM
Wow you guys don't eat out alot. I'm in the 10-14 per week category. I LOVE not cooking and not doing dishes. Absolutely love it.

BWillie
10-14-2016, 02:29 AM
I had read an article the other day that stated last year, for the first time ever, Americans ate out more than they cooked at home.

Makes sense. Some have already mentioned that cooking at home doesn't really seem like such a bargain anymore.

Yeah it really isn't. Plus if you cook a nice meal, takes you about 2 hrs between all the prep, dishes, getting food at the store, etc. No thanks.

I say we make robots that can cook, do dishes, and amazon can ship me the perishables...then I'll eat at home

Nickhead
10-14-2016, 02:56 AM
Yeah it really isn't. Plus if you cook a nice meal, takes you about 2 hrs between all the prep, dishes, getting food at the store, etc. No thanks.

I say we make robots that can cook, do dishes, and amazon can ship me the perishables...then I'll eat at home

i overspend with groceries that makes it seem like dine in cuisine. that said, it is NOT cheaper, or equal in value to dine out. this logic is defined by common sense. the total sum of all ingredients (and time), is still less than if someone else does it. they simply do it in advance of your presence. you may have paid a total of 25 bucks in employee wages to prepare such meal. or an additional 8 bucks an hour for the kievs to be pre battered and frozen, before its sent to the restaraunt. i could go on but even at 10 bucks an hour it makes no sense.

its like solar power. its stored in a coal fired electric generator.

yes its convenient, but so are macca's, and kentucky :D

MikeTate
10-14-2016, 03:45 AM
I hate cooking so prefer to dine out or eat local food in the office:)

Anyong Bluth
10-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Every month for about 4-6 days I avoid eating out.