PDA

View Full Version : News Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Restrictions lifted on Cuban rum, cigars

Fire Me Boy!
10-14-2016, 08:34 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/14/obama-cuba-regulations-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

MIAMI — Attention U.S. travelers going abroad: You now can bring home all the Cuban rum and cigars you want.

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption. Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home.

More at the link.

In58men
10-14-2016, 08:44 AM
This was passed awhile back I thought? They just limited your purchases, now it seems like it's unlimited.

ptlyon
10-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Suddenly Miami Vice came to mind for some reason

Amnorix
10-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Glad we're moving on from acting like little Cuba is an existential threat to the USA.

Fire Me Boy!
10-14-2016, 08:49 AM
This was passed awhile back I thought? They just limited your purchases, now it seems like it's unlimited.

Not sure. Back on my honeymoon in 2003, I took a cruise. And on the last day at sea, they put a PA out and said we were expected back in U.S. waters at a certain time, and if we'd purchased any Cuban cigars, we needed to smoke them because we weren't allowed to bring any back on land with us.

In58men
10-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Not sure. Back on my honeymoon in 2003, I took a cruise. And on the last day at sea, they put a PA out and said we were expected back in U.S. waters at a certain time, and if we'd purchased any Cuban cigars, we needed to smoke them because we weren't allowed to bring any back on land with us.

I just did a quick research, we've been able to purchase alcohol or tobacco at a $100 minimum. Now it seems we can spend whatever.

Under rule changes announced by Obama in January 2015, American traveling to Cuba for authorized reasons are allowed to buy personal consumption goods while they're visiting. And now, people will be allowed to bring up to $400 worth of goods bought in Cuba for personal use.

"This includes no more than $100 of alcohol or tobacco products," the government said in January.

Fire Me Boy!
10-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I just did a quick research, we've been able to purchase alcohol or tobacco at a $100 minimum. Now it seems we can spend whatever.

I presume you mean $100 maximum? And when did that rule come into place?

Caught before your edit. Thanks.

In58men
10-14-2016, 09:01 AM
I presume you mean $100 maximum? And when did that rule come into place?

Yes, sorry "maximum". Jan 2015, I just edited my previous post with the info.

Saccopoo
10-14-2016, 09:05 AM
I remember back in the '90's when my Israeli distributor sent me a box of Cuban Cohibas from Heathrow. They were pretty fun as a conversational piece, but I'm not sure that they were any better than the good stuff coming from Honduras, etc. at the time.

Fire Me Boy!
10-14-2016, 09:11 AM
I remember back in the '90's when my Israeli distributor sent me a box of Cuban Cohibas from Heathrow. They were pretty fun as a conversational piece, but I'm not sure that they were any better than the good stuff coming from Honduras, etc. at the time.

I've had four in my life. Two H. Upmanns (in the late 90s, probably 1997) and two Cohibas (in 2003). I thought the Cohibas were overrated. They were good, but nothing super special. The H. Upmanns were the two best cigars I've ever had.

ping2000
10-14-2016, 09:11 AM
There are better cigars out there.

In58men
10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
There are better cigars out there.

I'm a Rocky Patel guy myself.

frozenchief
10-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Cuban Montecristo #2s are well worth it.

PunkinDrublic
10-14-2016, 10:16 AM
The real Havana Club rum is fantastic. Way better than the fake Havana Club shit that's made in Puerto Rico.