PDA

View Full Version : Money My generation are a bunch of worthless fucks

Discuss Thrower
10-30-2016, 07:43 PM
A strong pat on the back and a reassuring word no longer cuts it when it comes to keeping millennials happy at work.

More than three-quarters of U.K. workers age 18 to 24 say company perks are crucial to their job satisfaction, according to a survey released this week by Perkbox, a company that sells employee gifts. Only about half of baby boomers in the U.K. tied their job satisfaction to the goodies, the survey said.

Amazon gift cards, for example, are the physical representation of a caring, sharing employer, said Saurav Chopra, co-founder of Perkbox. Skyscanner, an Edinburgh-based flight comparison site, gives employees discounts at local sandwich shops and hairdressers. Airbnb provides employees with $2,000 a year good for spending on properties on the home-sharing site anywhere in the world.

“Millennials see this as something employers should do as standard, whereas older employees see it as a bonus,” Chopra said.

Source (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-28/the-secret-to-a-happy-millennial-is-an-amazon-gift-card?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Fuck em. Keep them unemployed and broke. They'll figure it out.

Pointer19
10-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Amen. RIP First World.

RobBlake
10-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Source (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-28/the-secret-to-a-happy-millennial-is-an-amazon-gift-card?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

I always thought just having a good health care coverage, a decent check to support yourself and potentially a family were key to JOB satisfaction...

Dave Lane
10-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Millennials may well be this countries greatest generation. By a wide margin.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Good luck with that you spoiled fucks

Buzz
10-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Grouping people by generation is bullshit...

hometeam
10-30-2016, 07:54 PM
I like being rewarded with money :)

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Grouping people by generation is bullshit...

Baby Boomers are the biggest pieces of shit this country has ever seen. ;)

scho63

http://mindfulbodies.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/willis.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
Nothing wrong with wanting a satisfying work place.

Things gave changed in the business world and a lot of it is driven by younger folks demanding a better work/life balance.

There's a recent Schwaub commercial where a father and son are discussing investing. In it the father asks the son if he's investing. The son asks the father if he gets his fees back if the advice he gets doesn't pan out.

The father says "The world doesn't work like that".

The son says: "The world is changing".

Since the financial crisis in 07, companies have used that crisis as an excuse to give small raises or none at all in some cases.

I actually enjoy the idea of milennials in the work place. I truly like that they want it to be different for them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Put those dumb fuckers in debtor's prison with Bob Cratchet.

Chiefaholic
10-30-2016, 07:57 PM

Not where I work at. Most are self centered, low work ethics, and can't handle constructive criticism.

Sorter
10-30-2016, 07:58 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-58475-Morgan-Freeman-hes-right-you-k-9kKd.jpeg

eDave
10-30-2016, 07:58 PM
I won't take a position that doesn't offer incentives and bonus's. Big part of my compensation. I hand out recognition cash to my team members all the time. I've got a significant budget just for that.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2016, 08:00 PM

Agreed

Discuss Thrower will once again be left out of the equation because he sucks at writing and I seriously doubt he can get a high level finance job because he spends too much time trolling.

WilliamTheIrish
10-30-2016, 08:00 PM
I won't take a position that doesn't offer incentives and bonus's. Big part of my compensation. I hand out recognition cash to my team members all the time. I've got a significant budget just for that.

My company does the same. And if they give a small corporate gift (those tiny Bluetooth speakers for example) they give a gift card for fuel, or food.

It helps immensely with retention of young folks.

Dylan
10-30-2016, 08:07 PM
I am sure, when the millennials find a good paying job and notice the taxes the government takes out of their paychecks they will wake up.

Until then...stupidity ensues.

RealSNR
10-30-2016, 08:18 PM
I mean, it's nice to have that stuff, but I'm sure if asked if they value being treated fairly and respected for their work, they would value that over gift cards.

All this poll reveals is that a certain percentage of an age group really likes receiving nice shiny things for the work they do.

It's a pretty stupid poll, to be honest. What group of young people DOESN'T want that in their job?

Iowanian
10-30-2016, 08:18 PM
I've struggled to communicate effectively with the generation... the old school "just get it done, I do t care if you wanted to go to crossfit" doesn't work well.

I've always been the guy who will do whatever it takes....3am and back at 6....leave on a 3 day work trip on 30 minutes notice. I get it done. Always have and it's how I got where I am and will be where I am going. If I ask you to do something you don't see me do often, I've probably spent hundreds of hours doing what I'm asking you to do.

Millennial are very techipnically talented and have much to offer.....but they tend to think that 3 months is really putting in their dues. They seek immediate reward, want credit and no tolerance for constructive criticism.

It's taken a lot of effort to figure out how to communicate effectively. Basically just give the young folks credit for everyting we accomplish, especially publically.

RobBlake
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM

I would love to work for a boss like that.

lewdog
10-30-2016, 08:21 PM
I take exception to that OP!!!!

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!

RobBlake
10-30-2016, 08:22 PM
I've struggled to communicate effectively with the generation... the old school "just get it done, I do t care if you wanted to go to crossfit" doesn't work well.

I've always been the guy who will do whatever it takes....3am and back at 6....leave on a 3 day work trip on 30 minutes notice. I get it done. Always have and it's how I got where I am and will be where I am going.

Millennial are very techipnically talented and have much to offer.....but they tend to think that 3 months is really putting in their dues. They seek immediate reward, want credit and no tolerance for constructive criticism.

It's taken a lot of effort to figure out how to communicate effectively. Basically just give the young folks credit for everyting we accomplish, especially publically.
Well shit, we live on a rock in outer space.. enjoy your life.

Mosbonian
10-30-2016, 08:24 PM
I find the inference that the millenial generation is the greatest generation by a wide margin almost as unsupported as is the inference that they are one of the laziest , most self-absorbed generations.

I have seen millenials work just as hard and put in long hours....and while they may not put in as long hours as boomers, they will put in the effort .

I've also seen the down side of their generation where self-entitled believe that by week eight they are entitled to the corner office, big expense account and are stunned when all they are given is a "your services are no longer needed".

But frankly i have seen that in almost every generation.

jjchieffan
10-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Actually, studies have been done on this subject. Basically trying to figure out how to get millenials to be productive. Millenials, in general, vies a job as nothing more than a gig between weekends. They are considered to be good at techy stuff, but not much else. Baby boomers are considered to be really good at structure in the work place, but Gen X (my generation), is considered to be the most productive generation across the board.

eDave
10-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Actually, studies have been done on this subject. Basically trying to figure out how to get millenials to be productive. Millenials, in general, vies a job as nothing more than a gig between weekends. They are considered to be good at techy stuff, but not much else. Baby boomers are considered to be really good at structure in the work place, but Gen X (my generation), is considered to be the most productive generation across the board.

Who didn't see it that way when we were in our 20's?

RobBlake
10-30-2016, 08:32 PM
how long on average do you fellas stay at the job you're at?

Discuss Thrower
10-30-2016, 08:33 PM
It's a pretty stupid poll, to be honest. What group of young people DOESN'T want that in their job?

People who should be thankful for having a job in the first place?

eDave
10-30-2016, 08:34 PM

I'm at 5y currently. My longest tenure.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Put those dumb ****ers in debtor's prison with Bob Cratchet.

ROFL

stevieray
10-30-2016, 08:37 PM

I'm not a good reference..I've been a self employed artist for 21 years.

I will say this, General contractors and Painting contractors have said that millennials are worthless when it comes to working hard.

I'm sure there are plenty who do work hard, so not painting with a broad brush.

no pun intended.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
10-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Meanwhile J1B visas are being handed out likely candy and corporations are keeping the money at the top of the totem pole hiring these immigrants that willing to work 60 hours a week on pay that is 60% of their fair market value.

cosmo20002
10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
The younger generation is just the worst.

/every generation

BucEyedPea
10-30-2016, 08:39 PM
I am sure, when the millennials find a good paying job and notice the taxes the government takes out of their paychecks they will wake up.

Oh they are noticing this. The ones that are employed that is.

BucEyedPea
10-30-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm at 5y currently. My longest tenure.

I thought you got laid off? Did something change since you announce that?
If so glad to hear it.

Rasputin
10-30-2016, 08:50 PM

The longest job I've had was 9 years or so and counting that I was a route driver for at least 12 years and still would be I think if it wasn't for back issues that kept me from doing things as I was a successful route driver as far as the company goes I won a trip to Cabo San Lucas Mexico so I considered that as huge success because it wasn't easy and being top region in sales for 6 months for the contest was pretty intense challenge. I think I'd still be there if it wasn't for back issues and I've had to adapt and cope since then so I've been averaging two or three years but always trying better my situation for living.

I loved being praised by my job and that helped with motivation but also when I was criticized it motivated me to do better to me life is about improving my life and that's how I try to manage myself even though through the years I haven't done all that good job about it especially my drinking and debauchery years.

Now I want to indulge but I know better and fishing takes precedence so I'm happy as long as I get to go fishing but depression happens when I'm not going much.

I think a job giving paid fishing days would be a great investment for employers to treat their employees. JMHO.

lewdog
10-30-2016, 08:54 PM

Just hit 4 years here. At 5 years I'm fully vested. If an offer presents after year 5, I have no problems jumping ship. I like my job but people sometimes offer good money to get you moved and I'll be willing to listen.

Bob Dole
10-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Bob Dole was at his last one for 16 years. Hopped around to 3 jobs to ratchet up salary for 5 years before that. 3 year break for college. Same company for 6 years before that.

2bikemike
10-30-2016, 09:03 PM

Previous job 19yrs. Left them due to the instability of the company being bought and sold.
Current job 11 1/2 years. This will be my last job. I will probably retire from here in 4 or 5 yrs.

Iowanian
10-30-2016, 09:13 PM
To be fair and clear, once I spent some time learning how to communicate better with my team it's been much better. They're all dependable and do a great job,and when it comes to tech stuff jump in and bring ideas. We have some other under 30s who are outstanding....they just need that reward.

Sorting through the people to find the good ones is the trick I think.

That is another story in itself. Some of the things you see in resumes and job interviews.....like bringing your mother to your job interview are the head scratchers with this generation.

Buehler445
10-30-2016, 09:13 PM

I've always been the guy who will do whatever it takes....3am and back at 6....leave on a 3 day work trip on 30 minutes notice. I get it done. Always have and it's how I got where I am and will be where I am going. If I ask you to do something you don't see me do often, I've probably spent hundreds of hours doing what I'm asking you to do.

This is about where I am, but I haven't hired many melenials. Hell, I may even be part of the generation (IDK, I'm 33), but at this point, if you can't help me get the work done to ultimately get the grain in the bin, get the fuck out. Now. I know it's not a good approach to take, but it's where I find myself virtually every day, and it is difficult for me to keep my tongue bit.

I've often considered machining up, hiring the harvest and doing it all myself, but haven't forked out the cash to do it.

CapsLockKey
10-30-2016, 09:27 PM
I can see their point. You can get a paycheck anywhere. It's what unique perks a company provides that sets it apart from a competitor. The shift of company pensions to 401ks that go with wherever you work means there are fewer reasons to stay loyal long term anymore.

TinyEvel
10-30-2016, 10:03 PM
"NEW RESEARCH SHOWS MILLENNIALS PLACE A HIGH IMPORTANCE ON EMPLOYEE GIFTS"

Says....A COMPANY THAT SELLS EMPLOYEE GIFTS. smh

Demonpenz
10-30-2016, 10:05 PM
I work to live not live to work. All these old guys dreams are all washed up so they think I should spend all day all night working. Sorry, once my bills or paid. I am done so I can enjoy life and not fuck around.

Buehler445
10-30-2016, 10:11 PM
I can see their point. You can get a paycheck anywhere. It's what unique perks a company provides that sets it apart from a competitor. The shift of company pensions to 401ks that go with wherever you work means there are fewer reasons to stay loyal long term anymore.

Before I became self employed it was always about:

1. Fair compensation for work done
2. Satisfaction of the contribution to te company
3. Work environment

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2016, 10:13 PM
I like Millennials

GloryDayz
10-30-2016, 11:00 PM
The millennials who work for me are great. Then again that's why I hired them. And perks aren't a bad thing as long as they're performance based.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)

Dave Lane
10-30-2016, 11:05 PM

So thats what happened to you. I always wondered how you ever got as completely stupid as you are.

Dave Lane
10-30-2016, 11:07 PM
The younger generation is just the worst.

/every generation

You can leave many of us Boomers out of that equation. This new generation is amazing, they will do us proud if they stay on track.

notorious
10-30-2016, 11:12 PM
There are losers and whiners from every age, shape, and color.

The cream will always rise.

eDave
10-30-2016, 11:12 PM
So thats what happened to you. I always wondered how you ever got as completely stupid as you are.

:eek:

2bikemike
10-31-2016, 12:05 AM

This right here!

KChiefs1
10-31-2016, 12:10 AM
The Greatest Generation would be so proud to know this is what they suffered & fought for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jiu Jitsu Jon
10-31-2016, 04:22 AM

The greatest at Pokemon and Call of Duty, perhaps.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-31-2016, 05:11 AM
The greatest at Pokemon and Call of Duty, perhaps.

Mt. Dew Warriors

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 06:03 AM
I do think some are being to harsh. Yes, the "current crop of youth/young adults" have always been "the worst" throughout history, but that doesn't mean the current group isn't awesome. While the current young generations have their fair share of publicized crap, my generation had useless clowns running around with tourniquets bandannas around their knees and others who sucked.

As for kids demanding perks, welp, if their skills are in demand, why not? And I can't think of a better way for a business to keep the highest performers the most rewarded - as it should be.

I have more of a problem with the group of people, that span many generations, who want a generous salary (or hourly wage) for being alive and just showing up. A hell of a lot more of a problem! Those people suck and can kiss my hairy ass!

The bottom line is paying for performance is awesome. If a little time off, or a decent office, or corporate stress-relieving squishy balls (that don't relieve stress), or incentive trips to great dive resorts (!!!!), or Amazon gift cards, are incentivizing higher performance, it's all good as long as it's earned.

KCUnited
10-31-2016, 06:16 AM
Where did the millennials come from?

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2016, 06:25 AM

Weak sperm and inferior parenting.

KCUnited
10-31-2016, 06:28 AM
Weak sperm and inferior parenting.

Run a 4.12 40, 75 yards in the air, bench 3 bills, kid's not an entitled stain on society.

chiefzilla1501
10-31-2016, 06:38 AM
The Greatest Generation would be so proud to know this is what they suffered & fought for.

Millenials are equally proud that the greatest generation and baby boomers passed on a world overloaded with debt, greed, recession, and political corruption. Millenials have their annoying habits. But it's not like other generations are doing a banged up job themselves.

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 06:47 AM
I speak with a lot of military people and the vast majority of those who are getting dirty and dusty taking the fight to the world's evil are millennials, and I'd say they are very wonderful men and women. Like every young military service member, the current millennials (as are most employed people) are lead by a progressively older group of people that span most the living generations, and the military is a great example of how awesome birds, with awesome feathers, flock together.

dtforever
10-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Millenials are equally proud that the greatest generation and baby boomers passed on a world overloaded with debt, greed, recession, and political corruption. Millenials have their annoying habits. But it's not like other generations are doing a banged up job themselves.

Millenials will make great advances and will also screw some things up, just like the generations before them. Millenials have grown up with more information at the tip of their fingers because of previous generations. "Greatest" generation is relative.

Sandy Vagina
10-31-2016, 08:06 AM

While true, the majority of these young shits seem far more emotionally fragile (relationships), desensitized (to violence or the general wretchedness of man), self-absorbed, entitled, and lack focus.

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 08:10 AM
While true, the majority of these young shits seem far more emotionally fragile (relationships), desensitized (to violence or the general wretchedness of man), self-absorbed, entitled, and lack focus.

At the risk of sounding like a liberal, I think other generations can take credit for those who fit that description. Some of us worked very hard to strike a balance.

Fishpicker
10-31-2016, 08:29 AM
I've criticized Millenials quite a bit; maybe I should refrain from that. or I should be more specific. I have a low opinion of Millenial hipsters, youtube "stars" and social justice advocates. the rest are alright, I guess.

luv
10-31-2016, 08:38 AM

They're the result of the change in teaching. People thought that hurting a child's ego or breaking their will did more damage than good. This is when spanking your child basically became a crime, and everyone started getting trophies just for participating. We're no longer hurting children's feelings, but we're raising children who grow up feeling entitled.

WhiteWhale
10-31-2016, 09:08 AM
It always cracks me up to hear people bitch and whine about the character of a generation THEY RAISED!

Our DNA isn't changing. Everything you dislike about this generation is a consequence of a society YOUR generation cultivated.

If you think they're entitled, that's because gen X allowed them to walk all over them as kids and as young adults.

What we should be talking about is the apathetic parenting of generation X. You allow TV to raise kids, and then act shocked when their values do not match up with yours. You have kids so accustomed to isolation that there is a shocking amount of video game addicted chronic masterbators with no interest in women. You allow them to put themselves into massive debt and peddle them off to universities and never even discuss with them college plans and career goals, leading to loads of kids with a bad degree, lots of debt, and no earning power. Gen X parents love to take the 'just let them make their own mistakes' style, which is just horseshit. IT's just laziness. Pure laziness. People would rather make more money to buy more stuff than spend time with their kids. A generation of parents who would capitulate to a spoiled brat because it was easier than correcting their behavior.

No generation before gen X pawned off more of their parenting on others, and now you guys just never stop bitching about the results. If you're going to wring your hands about that entire generation as a collective, why don't you look at your own generation collectively as well and maybe climb a few floors down off of that ivory tower?

Rasputin
10-31-2016, 09:11 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qN5zw04WxCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 09:21 AM
In Re: Boomers broke it!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2016/10/25/7d0c6a62-9aef-11e6-b3c9-f662adaa0048_story.html?utm_term=.2e5e0b2ce5ff

WhiteWhale
10-31-2016, 09:21 AM
You can leave many of us Boomers out of that equation. This new generation is amazing, they will do us proud if they stay on track.

I feel it's always a mixed bag.

The new generations always want to leave an impact, make a change, but they always throw a lot of babies out with the bathwater.

WhiteWhale
10-31-2016, 09:27 AM
In Re: Boomers broke it!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2016/10/25/7d0c6a62-9aef-11e6-b3c9-f662adaa0048_story.html?utm_term=.2e5e0b2ce5ff

The guy could have just nailed himself to a cross and saved me the time and effort of reading that self aggrandizing nonsense.

Let me sum it up for those who don't have the time:

Baby boomers are responsible for everything bad. Generation X is responsible for everything good.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-31-2016, 09:29 AM
The guy could have just nailed himself to a cross and saved me the time and effort of reading that self aggrandizing nonsense.

Baby boomers are responsible for everything bad. Generation X is responsible for everything good.

:clap:

seclark
10-31-2016, 09:54 AM
i've worked for the same company for almost 34 years. when i first started, i know i was pretty forceful in giving my thoughts & opinions on how things should be done. now i just come to work, keep my fuckin head down and give them 8 quality hours. hopefully, i can go home and not get called back out.

times change, the company changes, so i either change or move on somewhere else. i'd rather change, for now.

i've watched the younger people get hired...most are talented as hell. some are pretty forceful in giving their thought & opinions on how things should be done. full circle, i guess.

in time, the younger become the older and maybe become a little more open minded. it's up to them.

as far as bonuses...idgaf. just pay me what's in the contract and i'm good.
sec

displacedinMN
10-31-2016, 09:56 AM
They're the result of the change in teaching. People thought that hurting a child's ego or breaking their will did more damage than good. This is when spanking your child basically became a crime, and everyone started getting trophies just for participating. We're no longer hurting children's feelings, but we're raising children who grow up feeling entitled.

The ways some teach astounds me. Sometimes, kids need to hear no. Sometimes, their feelings need to be hurt. Its ok.

It is one of the reasons why everyone get so damn offended by the simplest/stupidest things. Free speech is dead.

we are starting to hire millenials in teaching.Most are doing ok. But a few don't understand why they don't get perks, benefits, bonuses. It is just not something that happens in education. You do get evaluated. A lot. When kids don't listen, they can understand. It takes time, discipline, work. Some don't do that.

Then when a kid tells them to F off-they cry, and want to quit.

I work in a tough building. I have seen more young people quit in the last 3 years then I ever have. They are blowing through vacation time and can't figure out why it is gone. Some just are not cut out for teaching.

KCUnited
10-31-2016, 10:09 AM
My wife works in a heavy millennial office environment. She's a director in her 40's with a 28 year old VP as a boss. Her performance feedback goes like not being active enough on the interoffice social media platform, not giving enough publicly viewed kudos to people on the interoffice social media platform, and not participating in enough company encouraged after work social events (ie getting wasted and fucking each other). It definitely seems to have shifted to an office culture perception (it's a lot of fun to work here, right? RIGHT?!) from a results driven work environment that our generation is used to. Fortunately we don't have kids so we can talk as much shit as we want.

eDave
10-31-2016, 10:13 AM
Blame Silicon Valley.

Saulbadguy
10-31-2016, 10:31 AM
I refuse to work at a company that doesn't offer things like incentives, telecommuting, and casual dress code.

-King-
10-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Does anyone not want perks in their job? Or in life overall?
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
10-31-2016, 10:35 AM
I refuse to work at a company that doesn't offer things like incentives, telecommuting, and casual dress code.

You're a POS! How dare you want to work in a comfortable rewarding environment!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
10-31-2016, 10:39 AM

5 years.

RunKC
10-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Does anyone not want perks in their job? Or in life overall?
Posted via Mobile Device

Clearly millennials are the first generation to ask for these things..

DaKCMan AP
10-31-2016, 10:46 AM

I'm at the beginning end of the millenials and I reached 10yrs at the same company this year.

I've done well here, but during that time I've seen/endured:
- reduction in the 401k match
- straight time paid overtime after 46hrs worked eliminated for salaried employees (i.e. I can still work OT just get zero compensation for it)
- discontinued pension for new hires
- furloughs
- layoffs
- health insurance changed to a high deductible plan and this year 100% dental coverage premiums are the employees responsibility (thankfully I'm switching to the wife's health plan)

Meanwhile the stock price has appreciated over 200% during that time.

How can you blame a generation not even 1/3 through their careers for looking out for themselves when corporate America seeks every opportunity to fuck them over?

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 11:06 AM

I don't recall anything about Xers saving shit. Just a criticism of boomers as they exit stage left.

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm at the beginning end of the millenials and I reached 10yrs at the same company this year.

- straight time paid overtime after 46hrs worked eliminated for salaried employees (i.e. I can still work OT just get zero compensation for it)
- furloughs
- layoffs
- health insurance changed to a high deductible plan and this year 100% dental coverage premiums are the employees responsibility (thankfully I'm switching to the wife's health plan)

How can you blame a generation not even 1/3 through their careers for looking out for themselves when corporate America seeks every opportunity to fuck them over?

I'm not a millennial. I find it kinda odd the vitriol towards the generation. Seems like Boomers went light on Xers to save up & really lay into Millennials.

rambleonthruthefog
10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
I am not a millennial nor am I a baby boomer. I can tell you that the baby boomers are by far the most useless generation of people ever born. They are the 1st entitled generation and remain the only entitled generation. You have done next to nothing that will benefit his county long term and we will all be better off when you are all dead. Donald trump an Hillary are the best this generation can do

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 11:27 AM
I am not a millennial nor am I a baby boomer. I can tell you that the baby boomers are by far the most useless generation of people ever born. They are the 1st entitled generation and remain the only entitled generation. You have done next to nothing that will benefit his county long term and we will all be better off on every you are dead. Donald trump an Hillary are the best this generation can do
2nded with an addendum, that I like my parents. They're very nice.

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 11:39 AM

I'm not a millennial. I find it kinda odd the vitriol towards the generation. Seems like Boomers went light on Xers to save up & really lay into Millennials.

This.

Some of the brightest minds I've ever seen are the 16 - 24 year olds that I know today.

HonestChieffan
10-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Easy to change the expectation. Just don't give the fuckers anything but a pay check and attaboy letters for a couple years, then hold like a company BBQ...on a weekend.

Al Bundy
10-31-2016, 11:49 AM

- furloughs
- layoffs

Sounds like we work for the same company.. lol

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 11:49 AM
I am not a millennial nor am I a baby boomer. I can tell you that the baby boomers are by far the most useless generation of people ever born. They are the 1st entitled generation and remain the only entitled generation. You have done next to nothing that will benefit his county long term and we will all be better off on every you are dead. Donald trump an Hillary are the best this generation can do

Before you speak ill of us, remember that Baby Boomers were the core of the invasions of Grenada and Panama.

underEJ
10-31-2016, 11:52 AM
I love the millennials I've hired. Yes, they require a different style of feedback, but aside from that, they are astoundingly creative and they collaborate incredibly well. All that team building training managers used to get is not necessary with them. If you provide a good environment, they will come together and become a major force. I suppose, if they figure out how powerful that is, they may well join forces to eat me alive, but for now they are enjoying the company perks and my vocal recognition of their contributions (seriously, is it really that hard to appreciate someone? It is a good lesson, I think.)

Dave Lane
10-31-2016, 11:54 AM

The "greatest Generation" is shit.

Frosty
10-31-2016, 11:55 AM
"NEW RESEARCH SHOWS MILLENNIALS PLACE A HIGH IMPORTANCE ON EMPLOYEE GIFTS"

Says....A COMPANY THAT SELLS EMPLOYEE GIFTS. smh

This is the correct answer, though it doesn't give you a chance to bitch about something, other than worthless surveys/studies.

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2016, 11:58 AM

lol wut

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Baby boomers were also the first video gamers. Without our cutting-edge efforts putting quarters into arcade games, younger generations wouldn't be enjoying their various gaming platforms today.

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Before you speak ill of us, remember that Baby Boomers were the core of the invasions of Grenada and Panama.
Amendment. Rain Man is awesome as well.

Anyong Bluth
10-31-2016, 12:09 PM
I seriously can't square this circle.

Frosty
10-31-2016, 12:10 PM
Baby boomers were also the first video gamers. Without our cutting-edge efforts putting quarters into arcade games, younger generations wouldn't be enjoying their various gaming platforms today.

I'm technically a Boomer (born 1964, the last year) but hate being lumped in with them as I have never felt like had anything in common with the bulk of them. Same with Gen X.

It's funny about video games. I'm old enough to have pumped a ton of quarters in the early arcade machines (Frogger, Centipede, Astroids, Galaga) but mostly missed the home consoles so have never developed into much of a gamer.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 12:15 PM

I should note that I wasn't directly involved in Grenada or Panama, just to be completely transparent.

I'm one of the tailing edge boomers, so I feel like my experience was different than a lot of the leading edge people. The biggest difference in my opinion is that people my age always had a very crowded and competitive market for jobs and careers. We had a big population right in front of us that was always at the head of the line. You had to be scrappy to get jobs as a teenager and scholarships and that sort of thing.

Of course, the similarities between us and the leading edge people is that we all grew up with the impression that the world was 20 minutes from being nuked into oblivion. So we had that going for us.

http://voluntarysociety.org/conditioning/federalreserve/current/40livebirths.jpg

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm technically a Boomer (born 1964, the last year) but hate being lumped in with them as I have never felt like had anything in common with the bulk of them. Same with Gen X.

It's funny about video games. I'm old enough to have pumped a ton of quarters in the early arcade machines (Frogger, Centipede, Astroids, Galaga) but mostly missed the home consoles so have never developed into much of a gamer.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I loved board games as a kid and always thought that computers would revolutionize games and make them better. I was completely bought in on the arcade games when they first came out. But as the game consoles began developing, I completely lost interest. I think it's because the things I enjoyed about games started happening behind the scenes and I couldn't appreciate them.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-31-2016, 12:23 PM
I am not a millennial nor am I a baby boomer. I can tell you that the baby boomers are by far the most useless generation of people ever born. They are the 1st entitled generation and remain the only entitled generation. You have done next to nothing that will benefit his county long term and we will all be better off when you are all dead. Donald trump an Hillary are the best this generation can do

Agreed with all of this.

Bewbies
10-31-2016, 12:29 PM
I bet Boomer's parents thought they were a bunch of pussies too. The world changes, millennials will have a lot different rep when they hit their 40's I think.

BigBeauford
10-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Since we no longer get set-for-life pensions or the ability to stay at a company for our entire lives and retire, and are set with crippling student debt that outpaces every other debt, it's nice to have just something from time to time I imagine.

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Angry man is angry...

Please get off the Internet they invented if they gave you nothing. You'd do well to remember that every generation has done great things, and the follow on generations make them even better.

seclark
10-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Easy to change the expectation. Just don't give the ****ers anything but a pay check and attaboy letters for a couple years, then hold like a company BBQ...on a weekend.

ROFL
right...just give me the paycheck. keep the letters.
and i never go to the company bbq, or any functions that happen on my own time.

company bbq...ROFL
sec

Frosty
10-31-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm one of the tailing edge boomers, so I feel like my experience was different than a lot of the leading edge people. The biggest difference in my opinion is that people my age always had a very crowded and competitive market for jobs and careers. We had a big population right in front of us that was always at the head of the line. You had to be scrappy to get jobs as a teenager and scholarships and that sort of thing.

Most of the Boomers grew up in the Ozzie and Harriet '50's. You and I grew up with urban decay, gas lines, recessions and massive layoffs, plus disco. Gen X'ers grew up with parachute pants, New Wave, Reagonomics and "Greed is good". It makes our hidden generation a bit cynical, I think.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 01:18 PM
ROFL
right...just give me the paycheck. keep the letters.
and i never go to the company bbq, or any functions that happen on my own time.

company bbq...ROFL
sec

I understand the philosophy, but you should never turn down free bbq.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Most of the Boomers grew up in the Ozzie and Harriet '50's. You and I grew up with urban decay, gas lines, recessions and massive layoffs, plus disco. Gen X'ers grew up with parachute pants, New Wave, Reagonomics and "Greed is good". It makes our hidden generation a bit cynical, I think.

I never thought about this, but when I was younger than age 8, I read about moon landings and astronauts and undersea habitats and all sorts of cool stuff. At age 9 we stopped going to the moon, at 11 the president resigned and there were big lines for gasoline and at 12 we lost Vietnam. Maybe that happens to every generation, but it was a wakeup call.

We still don't have undersea colonies, and they really sounded awesome.

rambleonthruthefog
10-31-2016, 09:03 PM
Angry man is angry...

Please get off the Internet they invented if they gave you nothing. You'd do well to remember that every generation has done great things, and the follow on generations make them even better.

I said next to nothing because there are many more examples than
The one you gave. That being said, our country can move forward toward a realistic future when the boomers are mostly dead.

GloryDayz
10-31-2016, 09:38 PM
I said next to nothing because there are many more examples than
The one you gave. That being said, our country can move forward toward a realistic future when the boomers are mostly dead.

Can you tell me where they hurt you?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/038/1/5367125/il_570xN.610855107_nnrl.jpg

Simply Red
10-31-2016, 09:44 PM
I like them okay - provided they're GMO free.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 09:54 PM
If you're going to say negative things about us boomers, we're going to delay our retirements and keep you from ever getting promoted.

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2016, 09:57 PM
Millennials do not believe in free speech. (http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-freespeech-poll-20151123-story.html)

Millennials believe in socialism. (http://www.salon.com/2016/07/04/millennials_are_ripe_for_socialism_a_generation_is_rising_up_again_partner/)

TribalElder
10-31-2016, 10:49 PM
Read first post then jumped to end

If your company doesn't go the extra mile and offer perks like free lunches, training, etc then expect to lose when it comes to the talent race.

Dave Lane
10-31-2016, 11:05 PM
Angry man is angry...

Well except Gen Xers. Where the hell did we go wrong with them. Yikes.

Dave Lane
10-31-2016, 11:06 PM
I seriously can't square this circle.

It's completely true.

listopencil
11-01-2016, 12:15 AM
Did it ever occur to the older people on the board that maybe you're just shitty people managers?

tk13
11-01-2016, 12:15 AM
Millennials do not believe in free speech. (http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-freespeech-poll-20151123-story.html)

Millennials believe in socialism. (http://www.salon.com/2016/07/04/millennials_are_ripe_for_socialism_a_generation_is_rising_up_again_partner/)

I've said this before, maybe over in the political forum... but that's why Bernie was such a hit. I believe there could very well be a socialist leaning President in my lifetime at this point, which sounds crazy.

Young people can see that they aren't getting the same deal their parents got. College costs are high, student debt is out of control. And sure you don't have to go that route, but then what do you do with your life? Most professional jobs require a college degree. And we're to the point even that won't always save you. Work at a fast food place? People will say those aren't long term jobs and aren't supposed to offer a living wage. Work at a factory? Those jobs are being shipped overseas more and more. Retirement pensions aren't what they used to be. Social Security is no guarantee at this point. Health care costs will continue to go up. CEO pay is fairly significant.

Millennials are the ones feeling the effects of what essentially is the Wal-Mart generation. The free market system is a great thing, but it does require some benevolence by the job creators. Or, it requires significant competition in a field so that employers are forced to provide great benefits to attract great employees and keep up with the competition.

Do you really think those things are as true as they used to be? America is run by more and more large corporations, there is more consolidation of major companies. Department stores, airlines, cable companies, on and on. Which in theory doesn't have to be a bad thing, but somewhere along the way the mom and pop 1950s turned into the Wal-Mart 1980s.

I don't really think it's all bad yet. It's not like we're at the end of the world, but if we get down the road and things get worse, you might have a generation who votes for a socialist because at least they think they'll get something out of the deal.

Edit: And to be super, super clear, I'm not saying that's "right" at all. But just like anything else, when one group of people see what another group before them got, they're going to want the same thing, or something even better. Doesn't matter what it is.

|Zach|
11-01-2016, 12:42 AM

- furloughs
- layoffs

How can you blame a generation not even 1/3 through their careers for looking out for themselves when corporate America seeks every opportunity to **** them over?

I love that companies wonder there is not more loyalty to them.

Rausch
11-01-2016, 02:07 AM
I've said this before, maybe over in the political forum... but that's why Bernie was such a hit. I believe there could very well be a socialist leaning President in my lifetime at this point, which sounds crazy.

Milly's care much more about feelings and being offended than X'ers or Boomers.

Young people can see that they aren't getting the same deal their parents got. College costs are high, student debt is out of control. And sure you don't have to go that route, but then what do you do with your life? Most professional jobs require a college degree. And we're to the point even that won't always save you. Work at a fast food place? People will say those aren't long term jobs and aren't supposed to offer a living wage. Work at a factory? Those jobs are being shipped overseas more and more. Retirement pensions aren't what they used to be. Social Security is no guarantee at this point. Health care costs will continue to go up. CEO pay is fairly significant.

To be fair this is probably the worst time to have to look for employment in my life. When I was laid off about 7 years ago was the first time I'd gone to an interview and didn't get the job (if I wanted it.) Factory jobs didn't want me because I had 4 years of college. State jobs either required a degree that was specific to the field or years of experience. I can understand the frustration.

On the other hand with the internet and social media there are other opportunities open. Networking and making contacts is easier now. Finding job openings and applying is easier. College is even online now.

I really don't know who has it better or worse. It's like 3 people with 3 guitars and each has different strings out of tune. None of them sound great but which sounds worse depends on who's holding what guitar...

Fishpicker
11-01-2016, 05:41 AM

this is a big problem that alienates Millenials to a lot of older people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lEvWDwZYvk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some Millenials have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of free speech. they believe that speech is violence when it comes from the right while simultaneously believing that their violent actions are protected speech because they target the right people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YB91BBPt8g4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

those same people also believe that all art should be state sponsored or at least state approved. they want literature, theatre, music, and visual art to express the virtues of collectivism, globalism, multiculturalism, consensus building and it should be ideologically pure. (no disagreement or alternative ideas should be considered)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PL2Zmye3BkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
11-01-2016, 05:47 AM
this is a big problem that alienates Millenials to a lot of older people.

Part of youth is the immunity it brings.

You don't know what you don't know...

BlackHelicopters
11-01-2016, 09:20 AM
My boss provides hookers and blow parties on Fridays.

RunKC
11-01-2016, 09:34 AM
I love that companies wonder there is not more loyalty to them.

This is true.

I worked for a corporation in my first job and they kept laying off tons of talented people, then crammed their work into the people left so they can work 65+ hours every week on salary and then use the $$ from the laid off peers to give the executives making 150k+ /yr a 4% larger bonus while the people working insane hours at the bottom only got a .02% larger bonus.

It's ****ing criminal.

rockymtnchief
11-01-2016, 11:08 AM

I agree that many aren't getting the same deal as their parents in professional jobs. However, many parents didn't go to college and did quite fine in trade areas. Which, IMO, is one of the problems.

Many, not all, kids are being taught that college is the only way to get ahead or you're stuck working at Wendys or Arbys.

Trades are still very strong in this country and pay above average incomes with good benefits. Kids just need to have someone steer them in that direction. I've taken three kids under my wing in the last ten years. One went to welding school and now makes over $100,000 per year, two went to linemen school. One makes $80,000 per year and can retire at 55, the other is a 3rd year apprentice making $30.00 an hour and can also retire at 55. The second will be at $37.00 an hour in two more years.

I also know a couple more who work in trades making $50,000+ a year as stone/tile workers, electricians. If I made that much at age 25, I'd be ecstatic.

I think too many people put a stigma on people that work with their hands, get dirty, work outside, wear coveralls to work, etc... and it turns kids off.

Anyway, we've hired two millenials in the last two years and both have been sharp, hard working and don't whine about the world. One is the son of a lineman and the other is the son of a carpenter. College was an option for both, but they like working outside.

rambleonthruthefog
11-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Can you tell me where they hurt you?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/038/1/5367125/il_570xN.610855107_nnrl.jpg

The economy in almost uncountable ways
The environment
Foreign policy
And the list goes on

Look, all baby boomers aren't bad people. I'm just saying you were given the keys to the corvette and you crashed it into a f*ck#ng tree. The best solutions you have to offer are the two worst solutions. Typical baby boomer sh*t. Your generation failed and in true baby boomer fashion lack any accountability for your suckiness

vailpass
11-01-2016, 11:16 AM
The economy in almost uncountable ways
The environment
Foreign policy
And the list goes on

Look, all baby boomers aren't bad people. I'm just saying you were given the keys to the corvette and you crashed it into a ****#ng tree. The best solutions you have to offer are the two worst solutions. Typical baby boomer sh*t. Your generation failed and in true baby boomer fashion lack any accountability for your suckiness

You live in Austin. Your social commentary isn't applicable to the general setting.

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Millennials are the ones feeling the effects of what essentially is the Wal-Mart generation. The free market system is a great thing, but it does require some benevolence by the job creators. Or, it requires significant competition in a field so that employers are forced to provide great benefits to attract great employees and keep up with the competition.

Do you really think those things are as true as they used to be? America is run by more and more large corporations, there is more consolidation of major companies. Department stores, airlines, cable companies, on and on. Which in theory doesn't have to be a bad thing, but somewhere along the way the mom and pop 1950s turned into the Wal-Mart 1980s.

I don't really think it's all bad yet. It's not like we're at the end of the world, but if we get down the road and things get worse, you might have a generation who votes for a socialist because at least they think they'll get something out of the deal.

Edit: And to be super, super clear, I'm not saying that's "right" at all. But just like anything else, when one group of people see what another group before them got, they're going to want the same thing, or something even better. Doesn't matter what it is.
Have you read Bad Sumaritans?

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Milly's care much more about feelings and being offended than X'ers or Boomers.

To be fair this is probably the worst time to have to look for employment in my life. When I was laid off about 7 years ago was the first time I'd gone to an interview and didn't get the job (if I wanted it.) Factory jobs didn't want me because I had 4 years of college. State jobs either required a degree that was specific to the field or years of experience. I can understand the frustration.

On the other hand with the internet and social media there are other opportunities open. Networking and making contacts is easier now. Finding job openings and applying is easier. College is even online now.

I really don't know who has it better or worse. It's like 3 people with 3 guitars and each has different strings out of tune. None of them sound great but which sounds worse depends on who's holding what guitar...

A PC trend has been prevalent in the Boomer generation (late 60s early 70s), Xers in the early to mid 90s, and taking place again for this generation.

Go rent Higher Learning and PCU, and you'll get a perfect encapsulation of PC culture of the 90s. It also self corrected, and the hyper-PC nonsense going on now will do the same.

gblowfish
11-01-2016, 11:44 AM
People try to put me down.
Just because I get around.

Rain Man
11-01-2016, 01:44 PM
I agree that many aren't getting the same deal as their parents in professional jobs. However, many parents didn't go to college and did quite fine in trade areas. Which, IMO, is one of the problems.

Many, not all, kids are being taught that college is the only way to get ahead or you're stuck working at Wendys or Arbys.

Trades are still very strong in this country and pay above average incomes with good benefits. Kids just need to have someone steer them in that direction. I've taken three kids under my wing in the last ten years. One went to welding school and now makes over $100,000 per year, two went to linemen school. One makes $80,000 per year and can retire at 55, the other is a 3rd year apprentice making $30.00 an hour and can also retire at 55. The second will be at $37.00 an hour in two more years.

I also know a couple more who work in trades making $50,000+ a year as stone/tile workers, electricians. If I made that much at age 25, I'd be ecstatic.

I think too many people put a stigma on people that work with their hands, get dirty, work outside, wear coveralls to work, etc... and it turns kids off.

Anyway, we've hired two millenials in the last two years and both have been sharp, hard working and don't whine about the world. One is the son of a lineman and the other is the son of a carpenter. College was an option for both, but they like working outside.

I think more and more people are starting to put this together, particularly with the glut of college graduates these days. I'm hearing it a lot more and totally agree with it.

I think there are several issues about college that aren't discussed as much yet as they should be. Everyone talks about the cost of college, and it's certainly increased, but at the same time a local public university is not unaffordable.

I think the bigger issues around college are that the pressures of going to college are overwhelming the rational decision about whether to do it. As you mention, some people simply don't want the careers that college points them to. But society pushes the college route so hard that people feel compelled to go even if they're not interested in it, or frankly in some cases not academically a good fit.

And the second issue is that so many people are going to college that I think we're getting a glut of graduates now. The most telling example is law school, which is a nightmare scenario right now, but it's also true of other degree programs as well. So that lowers the value of a college degree because you're competing with a lot of people who have similar degrees.

And of course third is the cheapening of college degrees through private sector schools and other things.

Somewhere along the line, it seems like our society decided that that a career isn't prestigious if it doesn't require a degree, and that everyone should hold a degree. Neither of those is true.

Rain Man
11-01-2016, 01:46 PM

This post is valid. Someone print it up on some posters so we can distribute it.

ModSocks
11-01-2016, 01:54 PM

This. All of this. SOOOO Much this.

As a Millenial, college was pretty much pounded into our heads since early grade school. You're pretty much taught that it's "College or bust", really. Trade skills just aren't discussed or given a **** about.

I always wanted to work with cars, however. So i sought out an Auto Body ROP program when i was in HS. IN ALLLLL of San Diego county there was only ONE ROP Auto Body class, and it was a one hour+ commute for me.

I still did it, but the fact that there was only one freakin' class within an hour of me in a city the size of San Diego is just pathetic.

Our education system fails to give kids other options and pretty much tells them at an early age that it's college or nothing. Which is a damn shame because trade skill are where it's really at. Quality craftsmen make big $$$.

underEJ
11-01-2016, 03:00 PM
In addition to really liking my millennial team members, I have had long conversations with them about the college debate. They were sold a deal that if they get this expensive degree, then they will be able to get great jobs. In my industry, this is true to some extent, but they really start to feel the betrayal even in a tech degree field that does deliver fairly well on the promise.

They get in the door with the fancy degree and find out alot of the rest of us got here without the degree (and the associated debt that goes with it.) I am self taught for both the creative and highly technical sides of my job. This avenue was not available to them. The rise of the HR department has eliminated all of the clever routes into a position here, because the gates are guarded by people who believe the degree is important. The idea that college matriculation is akin to work experience is fed by academia and when they complete that path and start to work, it is a big shock to them.

They cannot relate to older people (45-55) who made this industry happen when there were no schools teaching it. They find it hard to get advice from us because they are looking for the matriculation and it doesn't exist here, we advocate healthy competition and promote on merit.

They want to know what steps they need to do to get the thing they want, and get disappointed when the competition beats them. They consider that unfair. I do look forward to them collectively finding a solution to what they see as unfairness. I will be listening and ready to help when they can voice the idea. I do believe they have been betrayed and if something like annual loan paydowns as a perk might help, I'm agreeable to working toward that goal. As of now, they have expressed that they want higher salaries than non-degree team members to make up for the debt issue, but our pay scales only account for experience and performance reviews. That solution isn't something we can accept.

eDave
11-01-2016, 03:07 PM
In addition to really liking my millennial team members, I have had long conversations with them about the college debate. They were sold a deal that if they get this expensive degree, then they will be able to get great jobs. In my industry, this is true to some extent, but they really start to feel the betrayal even in a tech degree field that does deliver fairly well on the promise.

They get in the door with the fancy degree and find out alot of the rest of us got here without the degree (and the associated debt that goes with it.) I am self taught for both the creative and highly technical sides of my job. This avenue was not available to them. The rise of the HR department has eliminated all of the clever routes into a position here, because the gates are guarded by people who believe the degree is important. The idea that college matriculation is akin to work experience is fed by academia and when they complete that path and start to work, it is a big shock to them.

They cannot relate to older people (45-55) who made this industry happen when there were no schools teaching it. They find it hard to get advice from us because they are looking for the matriculation and it doesn't exist here, we advocate healthy competition and promote on merit.

They want to know what steps they need to do to get the thing they want, and get disappointed when the competition beats them. They consider that unfair. I do look forward to them collectively finding a solution to what they see as unfairness. I will be listening and ready to help when they can voice the idea. I do believe they have been betrayed and if something like annual loan paydowns as a perk might help, I'm agreeable to working toward that goal. As of now, they have expressed that they want higher salaries than non-degree team members to make up for the debt issue, but our pay scales only account for experience and performance reviews. That solution isn't something we can accept.

I was sold the same line mid 80's and had the same real life slap in the face. It worked out just fine. They want it all now.

SithCeNtZ
11-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I think more and more people are starting to put this together, particularly with the glut of college graduates these days. I'm hearing it a lot more and totally agree with it.

I think there are several issues about college that aren't discussed as much yet as they should be. Everyone talks about the cost of college, and it's certainly increased, but at the same time a local public university is not unaffordable.

I think the bigger issues around college are that the pressures of going to college are overwhelming the rational decision about whether to do it. As you mention, some people simply don't want the careers that college points them to. But society pushes the college route so hard that people feel compelled to go even if they're not interested in it, or frankly in some cases not academically a good fit.

And the second issue is that so many people are going to college that I think we're getting a glut of graduates now. The most telling example is law school, which is a nightmare scenario right now, but it's also true of other degree programs as well. So that lowers the value of a college degree because you're competing with a lot of people who have similar degrees.

And of course third is the cheapening of college degrees through private sector schools and other things.

Somewhere along the line, it seems like our society decided that that a career isn't prestigious if it doesn't require a degree, and that everyone should hold a degree. Neither of those is true.

I've heard this, but I can't help but disagree with the trades being looked down upon as a big flaw in the system. You said that some people "don't want the careers that college points them to". And what careers are those? You can go to college and major in almost anything you want. In my opinion, people who say "yea, go in to the trades and make 80k a year" are the same as people who say "just go to college and get a STEM degree and you'll be fine". While both pieces are good advice in a vacuum(you can easily get jobs in both for good money)it ignores the fact that not everyone wants to be a welder or a computer scientist. While I'm sure there are some people who get turned off by the trades as a social stigma, the fact is that most people don't want to go home dirty and sweaty from working outside working with potentially dangerous tools. Most people want to go to work in a nice air conditioned office with minimal labor and risk of injury. I can list several other reasons why more people wouldn't want to go in to the trades depending on what trade it is that go beyond the prestige factor, just like there are dozens of reasons people don't become computer scientists to get the prestige factor.

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I was sold the same line mid 80's and had the same real life slap in the face. It worked out just fine. They want it all now.
Loan amounts back then were a reasonable price. School loans today are out of control and have a pernicious effect of making it akin to indentured servitude because school loans are inescapable unlike any other type of debt. The has a stress that restricts career changes, mobility, family planning and the rest.

gblowfish
11-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Back in the late 1970's I luckily had academic scholarships. I worked almost full time the whole time I was at Mizzou. My parents sent me a little $, but I had two sisters going to school out of state at the same time. So I paid my way for the majority of my education. Luckily, I got out with a degree and no debt. That would be hard to do for the average student nowadays.

displacedinMN
11-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Millennials think they deserve a 70K salary for a 30k job.
They think they deserve-not always work.
You should not get 15/hr for flipping hamburgers.
You will not start out with the corner office, with a large house, two cars and an expense account. Go into education and see what you will not be able to afford.

As a teacher, I believe a 4 year college education should not be the goal. Not everyone is meant for college. Some jobs need a degree. Teaching, medicine, administration, others.

But I am all for tech schools for many kids and we should be steering some that way in Middle School. I have kids that will not go to college but may make a good plumber. I pay my plumber good money. It is an honest, respectful job. Auto mechanic, HVAC, electrician.
Don't get me started on the lack of welders.

We are looking at college for kid 1. She is deciding between business and physical therapy. Either way, she can do well. College is 20-28k. We can cover most, she will have to work to cover the rest. But there is no way she can work enough to cover the cost of college. Not like the old days. GB is correct. She could start out with 20K of debt. That is before a car, house, wedding, furniture. It could be worse for some. Private school is 60K. Why the hell would we want that.

Millennials-don't expect it all now. I have taught for 24 years and know that it could be gone tomorrow.

rockymtnchief
11-01-2016, 03:57 PM
I've heard this, but I can't help but disagree with the trades being looked down upon as a big flaw in the system. You said that some people "don't want the careers that college points them to". And what careers are those? You can go to college and major in almost anything you want. In my opinion, people who say "yea, go in to the trades and make 80k a year" are the same as people who say "just go to college and get a STEM degree and you'll be fine". While both pieces are good advice in a vacuum(you can easily get jobs in both for good money)it ignores the fact that not everyone wants to be a welder or a computer scientist. While I'm sure there are some people who get turned off by the trades as a social stigma, the fact is that most people don't want to go home dirty and sweaty from working outside working with potentially dangerous tools. Most people want to go to work in a nice air conditioned office with minimal labor and risk of injury. I can list several other reasons why more people wouldn't want to go in to the trades depending on what trade it is that go beyond the prestige factor, just like there are dozens of reasons people don't become computer scientists to get the prestige factor.

The point is that not everyone should be pushed towards college and kids should be shown alternatives. My co-workers son graduated with a teaching degree last year. (He didn't know what else to major in) Now he's working in commercial HVAC and enjoys it.

Also, people can seek office jobs if that's what they like. Good for them! Some people would go nuts in an office. Besides getting dirty at work, I get to see private ranches, inside some awesome homes (shitty ones too), and I get paid to see parts of my state that I normally wouldn't get to see. Each type of job has its own perks if you have the right attitude. Did I mention that my cell phone bill (unlimited text/talk/data) is $7 a month?:D

lewdog
11-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Millennials think they deserve a 70K salary for a 30k job.
They think they deserve-not always work.
You should not get 15/hr for flipping hamburgers.
You will not start out with the corner office, with a large house, two cars and an expense account. Go into education and see what you will not be able to afford.

As a teacher, I believe a 4 year college education should not be the goal. Not everyone is meant for college. Some jobs need a degree. Teaching, medicine, administration, others.

But I am all for tech schools for many kids and we should be steering some that way in Middle School. I have kids that will not go to college but may make a good plumber. I pay my plumber good money. It is an honest, respectful job. Auto mechanic, HVAC, electrician.
Don't get me started on the lack of welders.

We are looking at college for kid 1. She is deciding between business and physical therapy. Either way, she can do well. College is 20-28k. We can cover most, she will have to work to cover the rest. But there is no way she can work enough to cover the cost of college. Not like the old days. GB is correct. She could start out with 20K of debt. That is before a car, house, wedding, furniture. It could be worse for some. Private school is 60K. Why the hell would we want that.

Millennials-don't expect it all now. I have taught for 24 years and know that it could be gone tomorrow.

That Doctorate in Physical Therapy will cost way more than 28k. :D

But you can go most anywhere after graduation and make decent money right away.

stevieray
11-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Awesome post...Hell even a good straight painter can pull 1k a week.

O.city
11-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Ha, yeah.

I lucked out and was able to get my undergrad paid for thru a golf scholarship / academic scholarship/ parents planning.

But the DDS degree, not so much. 300k at 7.2 percent t is a fun loan.

displacedinMN
11-01-2016, 05:58 PM
That Doctorate in Physical Therapy will cost way more than 28k. :D

But you can go most anywhere after graduation and make decent money right away.

Dont think she is on the docterate track.if so,, i am not paying for it

lewdog
11-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Dont think she is on the docterate track.if so,, i am not paying for it

What will she do with a Physical Therapy bachelor's? All you can do is be an assistant with that if you didn't know. Need a doctorate to be a licensed Physical Therapist.

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2016, 06:22 PM
What will she do with a Physical Therapy bachelor's? All you can do is be an assistant with that if you didn't know. Need a doctorate to be a licensed Physical Therapist.
I thought you could get your masters ? I think KU Med has a 2 year program, for example ???

eDave
11-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Hmmm. I have to certify to advance. So I work and cert. Work and cert. Work and cert.

lewdog
11-01-2016, 06:27 PM
I thought you could get your masters ? I think KU Med has a 2 year program, for example ???

Physical therapy has moved from a master's to practice to a doctorate. It's only an extra year (3 years instead of 2). Occupational and speech therapy only require a master's still.

Just making sure Displaced understands as he made no mention of master's or doctorate work in that field.

Anyong Bluth
11-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Physical therapy has moved from a master's to practice to a doctorate. It's only an extra year (3 years instead of 2). Occupational and speech therapy only require a master's still.

Just making sure Displaced understands as he made no mention of master's or doctorate work in that field.
Gracias! Didn't know it had changed.

displacedinMN
11-01-2016, 06:59 PM
She was told by a college that PA is the way to go. So 4+masters.

No matter what. I will pay for the first 4.

GloryDayz
11-01-2016, 07:23 PM

I am guilty if this. But unapologetic about it too. From a very young age my sons knew/know that being a freshman in college is what comes after 12th grade. Sorry to offend but in 2016 it's an arrow you need in your quiver unless you know you'd can't make the grades. That being said, it didn't take much pushing with son #1 as he transitioned from the baseball/football/wrestling "athlete" to the band (learning music is mandatory in this house, he just loved it too)/robotics/tennis/Eagle Scout (mandatory if you want to drive in this house)/physics-and-academics "student" by 9th grade. THAT being said, I've made it very clear to him that while I expect he goes to college, having a great time while there, and trying other things is perfectly fine too (hence a couple a changes in majors). It's tough out there, and if he wants to try construction once he's done that's fine, but having a degree in your pocket is kind of important if you want a career instead of a job.

lewdog
11-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Hmmm. I have to certify to advance. So I work and cert. Work and cert. Work and cert.

Doesn't work like that for therapists. Schooling determines your level and pay. Have a bachelor's and you'll only ever been an assistant. Can't be a speech therapy assistant in any medical setting because swallowing therapy is such a liability, only actual speech therapists can have medical jobs. Physical therapy assistants can work in any setting but can't do evals or write goals. They just follow a plan of care that a therapist writes.

Iowanian
11-01-2016, 08:15 PM
I have been a big proponent of young people looking at the trades for quite a while. There are several great career options with minimal schooling and aging and declining workforces.

Welders, linemen, electricians, hvac....specialty carpenters, equipment operators....lots of options.

That said, I blindsided some of my melenials today with some late day news, and they stepped up and volunteers to do whatever was needed. I'm very proud of them today. I have some good ones.

TrebMaxx
11-01-2016, 08:26 PM
I have three new millennials in my office and really they have been great. I like that they can ask about something, receive the answer and retain what was told to them. They all have aspirations to move on to bigger and better things but hell so did I at their age.

BWillie
11-02-2016, 03:10 PM
I'd rather you just give me the money.