PDA

View Full Version : Football Jaime Collins to the browns

O.city
10-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Per schefter, pats sent Jaime Collins to browns for 3rd round pick

Wow

pugsnotdrugs19
10-31-2016, 10:46 AM
So does Bill not think this guy could help him win a Super Bowl this year or...?

The Franchise
10-31-2016, 10:47 AM
I possibly would have taken that deal.

Mile High Mania
10-31-2016, 10:48 AM
UFA in 2017, gonna get a nice paycheck... so they took the R3 pick and ran.

DJ's left nut
10-31-2016, 10:49 AM
What? Why?

Collins is good.

All Belichick does is win so it seems untoward to criticize him, but jesus - you've traded Jones and Collins for very little in return now (Cooper who was waived outright and now a 3rd). It's a Super Bowl team and even if you can't get those guys re-signed, they're absolutely going to help you this season.

I just don't get it at all.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-31-2016, 10:50 AM
This puts a dent in their super bowl chances this year. I don't get it. Brady is old. Win now?

Dunerdr
10-31-2016, 10:51 AM
Who

Bowser
I'm going to go ahead and assume Collins banged Bill's wife and/or Gisele.

Buck
Why the fuck would the Browns take this deal?

Simply Red
10-31-2016, 10:53 AM
this guy would be lucky to bang Nell Carter!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2l8knqu.png

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 10:54 AM
It must be thrilling to be on the Patriots and then get traded to the Browns.

DJ's left nut
Why the fuck would the Browns take this deal?

Gives them a few weeks to try to extend him before he hits the market, I guess.

It really doesn't make sense for either team, IMO.

RunKC
What? Why?

Collins is good.

All Belichick does is win so it seems untoward to criticize him, but jesus - you've traded Jones and Collins for very little in return now (Cooper who was waived outright and now a 3rd). It's a Super Bowl team and even if you can't get those guys re-signed, they're absolutely going to help you this season.

$70 million with rollover in cap space but look at their FA's this spring:

Marcellus Bennett
LaGarrette Blount
Duran Harmon
Donta Hightower
Logan Ryan
Sebastian Vollmer
Jabaal Sheard

Looks like Bill knows he'll get insane $$ and wants to keep his pass rushers, tackles, weapons and corners over an ILB.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 10:55 AM
This puts a dent in their super bowl chances this year. I don't get it. Brady is old. Win now?

Recall that Goodell promised them a Super Bowl for taking a dive last year in the AFC championship game.

Simply Red
10-31-2016, 10:56 AM

hahaha

Mile High Mania
Recall that Goodell promised them a Super Bowl for taking a dive last year in the AFC championship game.

:clap:ROFL

DJ's left nut
$70 million with rollover in cap space but look at their FA's this spring:

Marcellus Bennett
LaGarrette Blount
Duran Harmon
Donta Hightower
Logan Ryan
Sebastian Vollmer
Jabaal Sheard

Looks like Bill knows he'll get insane $$ and wants to keep his pass rushers, tackles, weapons and corners over an ILB.

Collins is the best player in that group, IMO.

Hell, maybe he'll just try to re-sign him in the off-season but that has nothing to do with what happens this January. It sure seems like he's a guy you'd like to have on the squad during those bad weather games in Foxboro when guys are looking to keep your offense on the sidelines.

It's BB hubris. The fuck of it all is that it works more often than not.

Dante84
10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Well, it helps our SB chances, so I'm good with it.

O.city
10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Collins is pretty damn good.

Actually a good building block for the browns I guess

O.city
10-31-2016, 11:00 AM
Apparently pats offered 11 mil per and Collins turned it down

RunKC
10-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Collins is the best player in that group, IMO.

Hell, maybe he'll just try to re-sign him in the off-season but that has nothing to do with what happens this January. It sure seems like he's a guy you'd like to have on the squad during those bad weather games in Foxboro when guys are looking to keep your offense on the sidelines.

It's BB hubris. The **** of it all is that it works more often than not.

Remember a couple years ago when he trade for Akeem Ayers and made him really good? I think he thinks he can do that with Van Noy or a draft pick.

It'll probably work too bc Patriots

The Franchise
10-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Apparently pats offered 11 mil per and Collins turned it down

And there's your reason. They aren't going to overpay. So trade him now for a 3rd round pick....or wait until he hits FA and get a 3rd round comp pick a year later.

RunKC
10-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Adam Schefter

With Jamie Collins contract coming up, he was at one point asking for what one league source described as “Von Miller money." Von: 6-$114.5M

Dayum

Gonzo
10-31-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm calling it. Bill's going back to Cleveland.

LMAO

O.city
10-31-2016, 11:12 AM
BB has made a living doing this stuff though, because he'll take a guy and ask him to do the things he's really good at instead of shoehorn a round peg in a square hole.

But fuck, you're on a SB track this year and you trade your best front 7 player?

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 11:13 AM
:clap:ROFL

I'm pretty sure I have a link somewhere.

-King-
10-31-2016, 11:22 AM

BB must like doing this kind of thing. It's like when he cut a player the day before the Superbowl.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2016, 11:24 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Collins on the second play of the game does whatever he wants and Bills gain 28 yards. Been happening all year. It was not going to continue</p>&mdash; michael lombardi (@mlombardifoxtv) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlombardifoxtv/status/793131852882022400">October 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 11:27 AM
BB must like doing this kind of thing. It's like when he cut a player the day before the Superbowl.
Posted via Mobile Device

He seems like the type of guy who would call a player into his office and then tell him to "pick a hand". In both hands, he's got a note that says, "You've been traded to the Browns", but he never shows the guy what's in the other hand.

SAUTO
10-31-2016, 11:35 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Collins on the second play of the game does whatever he wants and Bills gain 28 yards. Been happening all year. It was not going to continue</p>&mdash; michael lombardi (@mlombardifoxtv) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlombardifoxtv/status/793131852882022400">October 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

That's an issue too, I'm hearing. Undisciplined and wanted HUGE money

notorious
10-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Pissed of Bill so he got smacked down. Besides, this gives NE the 1st pick in the 3rd round vs the end of the round.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Pissed of Bill so he got smacked down. Besides, this gives NE the 1st pick in the 3rd round vs the end of the round.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blockbuster deal: Patriots traded LB Jamie Collins to Cleveland for a compensatory third-round pick, sources tell ESPN.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/793127510758293504">October 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

pugsnotdrugs19
10-31-2016, 12:01 PM
That's what I love about Bill. He just immediately sent a message to everyone in that locker room that if you don't do what we ask you to do, we don't give a damn how good you are, we're sending you to Cleveland.

RINGLEADER
10-31-2016, 12:03 PM

That was my thought. Seriously, I might consider retiring...

Pasta Little Brioni
10-31-2016, 12:05 PM

This is true

RobBlake
10-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Also noted, it's been reported they don't think he's a three down guy ATM and another guy attacks harder than he does..

Beef Supreme
10-31-2016, 01:14 PM
That's what I love about Bill. He just immediately sent a message to everyone in that locker room that if you don't do what we ask you to do, we don't give a damn how good you are, we're sending you to Cleveland.

Yep. Think you are so good you can break the bank? Think again.

BlackOp
10-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Yep...that will scare people straight...send them to Siberia.

I really dont get this trade though...Pats would receive a 3rd round comp if he walks at the end of the season anyway. Why not keep him for insurance?

RobBlake
10-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Yep...that will scare people straight...send them to Siberia.

I really dont get this trade though...Pats would receive a 3rd round comp if we walks at the end of the season anyway. Why not keep him for insurance?

i believe its for a pick this year.. if they wait, it will be for '18

BlackOp
10-31-2016, 01:45 PM
i believe its for a pick this year.. if they wait, it will be for '18

Can Cleveland franchise him? If not...he'll roll and an 8 game rental just cost the Browns a #1 pick in the 3rd round.

Chief Pagan
10-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Yep. Think you are so good you can break the bank? Think again.

Oh he can probably still break the bank. Just not at New England.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Can Cleveland franchise him? If not...he'll roll and an 8 game rental just cost the Browns a #1 pick in the 3rd round.

Yes, Cleveland can Franchise him. If he walks, it's likely the Browns get a 3rd round comp pick in 2018.

Also, Cleveland traded a Comp Pick, not their 3rd round pick, so it'll be in the 97-110 range.

BlackOp
10-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes, Cleveland can Franchise him. If he walks, it's likely the Browns get a 3rd round comp pick in 2018.

Also, Cleveland traded a Comp Pick, not their 3rd round pick, so it'll be in the 97-110 range.

I didn't think teams could trade comp picks..unless this is a new rule.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 03:49 PM
I didn't think teams could trade comp picks..unless this is a new rule.

I think it's a new rule that they can.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2016, 04:06 PM
The trading of Compensatory Picks is allowed beginning in the 2017 league year

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2016, 04:14 PM
I really dont get this trade though...Pats would receive a 3rd round comp if he walks at the end of the season anyway. Why not keep him for insurance?

The Pats wouldn't get a comp pick for him until 2018. With the trade, they get a comp pick in 2017.

Cleveland can either Franchise him, sign him to a long term deal or allow him to sign elsewhere in 2017, in which they'd receive a 2018 comp pick.

I think it's a great deal for Cleveland, as Ray Horton can begin to build a defense around Collins and if it doesn't work out, the comp pick was just delayed by a year.

The Browns currently have 2 #1's, 2 #2's, a #3, 3 #4's and 3 #5's in the 2017 draft.

They didn't really need that 3rd round comp pick.

JD10367
10-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Collins:
- wanted "Von Miller" money
- was freelancing and not listening to coaches
- was not strong in the run game
- has been often injured
- apparently wasn't putting forth a great effort... and it's even a contract year
- was going to be lost at the end of the season anyway
- the Pats have clearly been planning for this, stockpiling linebackers lately

This was clearly a message to the players: it's my way or the highway. Chandler Jones, despite his off-field issues, was a "team guy" so got traded to a contender (Arizona). Collins got traded to a winless team.

"I can't believe the Pats traded -fill in the blank- for almost nothing!" The Pats don't hesitate to part ways. It started way back with Lawyer Milloy. Ty Law. Deion Branch. Logan Mankins. Randy Moss. Whatever. They don't care. And they keep on winning, so... :shrug:

mcaj22
10-31-2016, 04:38 PM
I hope the Chiefs sign him as a FA lol

T-post Tom
10-31-2016, 05:33 PM
At least one Patriots player can’t make sense of Bill Belichick’s decision to trade linebacker Jamie Collins.

Patriots safety Devin McCourty said today that he couldn’t believe it when he learned that Collins had been traded to the Browns.

“Jamie is arguably our best defensive player,” McCourty told CSNNE.com. “When you get a guy like Jamie who was here for four years on the team, a very productive player, to lose him is a bit shocking to everybody on the team.”

Belichick has a good track record for knowing when it’s time to bid farewell to a veteran player. But that doesn’t mean the other players in the locker room have to like it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/31/devin-mccourty-jamie-collins-trade-is-shocking/

NJChiefsFan
10-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Or Bill is just bored and wants to give the AFC a fighting chance.

Coochie liquor
10-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Collins is pretty damn good.

Actually a good building block for the browns I guess

How are his qb'ing skills?

BryanBusby
10-31-2016, 08:46 PM
The Pats wouldn't get a comp pick for him until 2018. With the trade, they get a comp pick in 2017.

Cleveland can either Franchise him, sign him to a long term deal or allow him to sign elsewhere in 2017, in which they'd receive a 2018 comp pick.

I think it's a great deal for Cleveland, as Ray Horton can begin to build a defense around Collins and if it doesn't work out, the comp pick was just delayed by a year.

The Browns currently have 2 #1's, 2 #2's, a #3, 3 #4's and 3 #5's in the 2017 draft.

They didn't really need that 3rd round comp pick.
New England may be waiting till 2018 for the pick, but that's bt design because of Spygate.

MotherfuckerJones
10-31-2016, 11:30 PM
Or Bill is just bored and wants to give the AFC a fighting chance.

This LOL he just doesn't give a fuck. He'll have home field unless Tom is hurt. I don't doubt Belicheat...ever

Simply Red
11-01-2016, 12:10 AM
This LOL he just doesn't give a ****. He'll have home field unless Tom is hurt. I don't doubt Belicheat...ever

he's a helluva a coach.

TimeForWasp
11-01-2016, 04:19 AM
The commandant sent him to the Russian front.

DJ's left nut
11-01-2016, 08:40 AM

It's also important to remember that Lombardi is a Patriots flunkie.

BB is spoonfeeding him negative pub for Collins. Trading the guy and then slamming him through your own pet sources is bush league shit from a guy that should be above that.

BB can simply point to his resume and that should be good enough. But to deal him to fucking Siberia and then slam him in the media (and perhaps impact his future earnings) is just a really really shitty thing to do.

vailpass
11-01-2016, 08:44 AM
What? Why?

Collins is good.

Former Patriots coach on the radio yesterday said Collins can play at a high level then disappear, takes plays off. Said he thinks it may be a carry over from his college days where his team went 0-11 and he got used to not going full-go every play. Beli knew he wasn't going to resign him so he got a pick for him.

DJ's left nut
11-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Former Patriots coach on the radio yesterday said Collins can play at a high level then disappear, takes plays off. Said he thinks it may be a carry over from his college days where his team went 0-11 and he got used to not going full-go every play. Beli knew he wasn't going to resign him so he got a pick for him.

And again; the Patriots and their 'tree' have taken to the airwaves to circle the wagons here and I think that's just an awful way to do business.

Even taking plays off, Collins has been among the best, most versatile LBs in the business. I'd friggen love to have that guy as DJ's long-term replacement.

Obviously money would make it next to impossible but it's just not fair to go out there and blast him to the media, especially when you know it was BB that gave them the marching orders.

vailpass
11-01-2016, 08:50 AM
And again; the Patriots and their 'tree' have taken to the airwaves to circle the wagons here and I think that's just an awful way to do business.

Even taking plays off, Collins has been among the best, most versatile LBs in the business. I'd friggen love to have that guy as DJ's long-term replacement.

Obviously money would make it next to impossible but it's just not fair to go out there and blast him to the media, especially when you know it was BB that gave them the marching orders.

I don't know enough to have a say, was just passing on what I heard.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Collins:
- wanted "Von Miller" money
- was freelancing and not listening to coaches
- was not strong in the run game
- has been often injured
- apparently wasn't putting forth a great effort... and it's even a contract year
- was going to be lost at the end of the season anyway
- the Pats have clearly been planning for this, stockpiling linebackers lately

This was clearly a message to the players: it's my way or the highway. Chandler Jones, despite his off-field issues, was a "team guy" so got traded to a contender (Arizona). Collins got traded to a winless team.

"I can't believe the Pats traded -fill in the blank- for almost nothing!" The Pats don't hesitate to part ways. It started way back with Lawyer Milloy. Ty Law. Deion Branch. Logan Mankins. Randy Moss. Whatever. They don't care. And they keep on winning, so... :shrug:

They have a culture and they did the right thing sending a message to protect it

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2016, 10:08 AM

I agree but there has to be some merit to the situation, otherwise, BB looks extremely foolish in trading away his best defensive player during the middle of a Super Bowl run.

Personally, I'm happy to see it. I'd rather face the Patriots in the playoffs, especially if it's in NE, without the services of Collins.

That said, we'll see whether or not BB made a mistake or not.

Despite the fact that the Browns are 0-7, they're playing hard for Hue Jackson and Ray Horton, who's no slouch as a DC.

Quesadilla Joe
11-02-2016, 09:43 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash">#Browns</a> Jamie Collins said he never asked for Von Miller money: &quot;I&#39;m not Von Miller. Let&#39;s be smart&quot;</p>&mdash; Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/793838004154531840">November 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

Amnorix
11-02-2016, 09:57 AM
What? Why?

Collins is good.

I will comment on Collins later.

For Jones we got Cooper (who we cut), and a pick. The pick has turned into rock-solid, starting left guard Joe Thuney, who looks like he will lock down that position for the next however many years, and since BB traded back, we got another pick out of it, which turned into Malcolm Mitchell, who looks like the best WR the Pats have drafted in quite a while.

I'd do the Jones deal again today, though the Pats pass-rush has sucked so far this year. Jones has been great in Arizona, but historically he faded down the stretch and was non-existent by the time the playoffs started. Dunno if that will happen again this year, but we'll see.

Amnorix
11-02-2016, 09:59 AM
It's BB hubris. The fuck of it all is that it works more often than not.

These two sentences make no sense together. Hope you know that. :D

Amnorix
11-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Actually, it's the Browns COMP pick, which means end of the third round. We'd all understand it more if it was top of the third round...

Amnorix
11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I agree but there has to be some merit to the situation, otherwise, BB looks extremely foolish in trading away his best defensive player during the middle of a Super Bowl run.

Personally, I'm happy to see it. I'd rather face the Patriots in the playoffs, especially if it's in NE, without the services of Collins.

That said, we'll see whether or not BB made a mistake or not.

Despite the fact that the Browns are 0-7, they're playing hard for Hue Jackson and Ray Horton, who's no slouch as a DC.

He's not our best defensive player. He was our most athletic defensive player, but it's pretty damn obvious BB doesn't think he was their best defensive player because he never would have traded him for a lousy bottom-of-the-third round pick if he was.

Amnorix
11-02-2016, 10:10 AM
So yeah, real head-scratcher. Alot of people in NE going nuts.

Someone else posted Lombardi's comments, but the most that can be gotten out of this is:

1. it's obviously true that the Patriots defense has underperformed compared to talent/expectations. Presumably part of this was BB sending a message.

2. Collins was ridiculously athletic and did some crazy awesome stuff, but apparently he was often freelancing and out of position. That exposed the defense to big plays, which drive BB nuts.

3. Collins got TOASTED by Owen Daniels -- an aging, mediocre TE -- twice in the AFCCG last year. He played great otherwise, but as one writer said, it's not unfair to say the Patriots lost to the Broncos specifically because of Collins. What the fuck good is it to have Mr. SuperAthlete if he can't cover average guys and fucks up so bad it costs you championship games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwAMcolfxTQ

4. Obviously we weren't going to resign him, but that's hardly the reason eh was traded. After all, we have plenty of other guys in contract years and we aren't trading them halfway through the season for not much.

Bottom line -- In Bill We Trust, but JFC, really? Guess we'll see. After all, he is Bill Fucking Belichick.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I hope the Chiefs sign him as a FA lol

How sweet would it be if he signs a team friendly contract with us to stick it to BB and the Pats next season? We could probably afford it if Berry and Charles are off the books.

jjchieffan
11-05-2016, 09:53 PM
I know that the rules have been changed to allow the trading of comp picks. But what I don't get is how you can trade a pick that you don't know for certain that you'll get. I imagine that they are assuming a comp pick for us signing Schwartz. But that's not guaranteed. Schwartz could get injured and go on IR tomorrow, That I think would affect the comp pick. What if the NFL only gives them a 4th?

Rain Man
11-05-2016, 09:55 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash">#Browns</a> Jamie Collins said he never asked for Von Miller money: &quot;I&#39;m not Von Miller. Let&#39;s be smart&quot;</p>&mdash; Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/793838004154531840">November 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

That's hilarious. What a slam on Miller.