PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Reid on the two hits Smith took on Sunday

oaklandhater
10-31-2016, 03:13 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I enjoy my money too much to make a comment on that.&quot;<br><br>~ Reid on the two hits Smith took on Sunday, which led to the concussion protocol.</p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/793142062119997441">October 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

oaklandhater
10-31-2016, 03:14 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/dwcdid.jpg

Reid going full conspiracy theorist

raybec 4
10-31-2016, 03:29 PM
How is he going conspiracy theorist? One or both of those should have been personal fouls and they were not called. If a coach criticizes the officials they get fined.

In58men
10-31-2016, 03:38 PM
He doesn't want to comment because he might get fined for bad mouthing the refs/NFL?

What is this conspiracy shit you're talking about?

oaklandhater
10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
How is he going conspiracy theorist? One or both of those should have been personal fouls and they were not called. If a coach criticizes the officials they get fined.

one not both.

Kc sports media was acting like the Colts were head hunting out there they weren't.

oaklandhater
10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
He doesn't want to comment because he might get fined for bad mouthing the refs/NFL?

What is this conspiracy shit you're talking about?

Only one hit was dirty.

44yearsandcounting
10-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Apologies if Q, but I wonder if anyone in the league office has given consideration to the inverse incentivization they may have created. Specifically, if a player, or team "headhunts", the penalty, if even assessed, is a 15 yard unnecessary roughness and possibly a fine from the league. The upside, if you can call it that is, by targeting skill positions, a team can eliminate one or more crucial players by getting them into the concussion protocol. At the least, a player is out a series, at most, multiple weeks, and the downside is you lose 15 yards.

raybec 4
10-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Apologies if Q, but I wonder if anyone in the league office has given consideration to the inverse incentivization they may have created. Specifically, if a player, or team "headhunts", the penalty, if even assessed, is a 15 yard unnecessary roughness and possibly a fine from the league. The upside, if you can call it that is, by targeting skill positions, a team can eliminate one or more crucial players by getting them into the concussion protocol. At the least, a player is out a series, at most, multiple weeks, and the downside is you lose 15 yards.

Never heard of "bounty gate"?

44yearsandcounting
10-31-2016, 04:44 PM
I remember it well. However, what I'm alluding to is more in line with the law of unintended consequences and whether or not league rules should change to more severely penalize those who make a hit the sends a player into protocol.

Chief Northman
10-31-2016, 04:49 PM
First hit was a solid football tackle that you teach/coach.

2nd hit was not overly violent, but not "clean". Why the defender followed through with his hands to the head of Smith is careless.

Hammock Parties
10-31-2016, 04:54 PM
First hit was a solid football tackle that you teach/coach.

2nd hit was not overly violent, but not "clean". Why the defender followed through with his hands to the head of Smith is careless.

I think it was clean. he just happened to be leading with his hands, which is what you'd like instead of a shoulder/head. Smith's head got in the way of his hands.

GIF below. Won't post it out of respect for our Alex-loving members.

http://i.imgur.com/yfptDA9.gif

Sorter
10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
https://s22.postimg.org/8086e8d35/a_smith_cropped.gif

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/w4zgdSXoWPEKwaGiK9qYzxLpd20=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7375221/smash.0.gif

RobBlake
I think it was clean. he just happened to be leading with his hands, which is what you'd like instead of a shoulder/head. Smith's head got in the way of his hands.

it was a dirty hit to run his head into the ground, period. I'd even say that for Jay Cutler.. and he's a miserable cunt.

Rausch

The last two times we've played in that stadium we've had this happen...

Spott
10-31-2016, 05:30 PM
The first hit was absolutely dirty. Second one was iffy, but after taking 3 or 4 blatant late hits in the Saints game, this shit is starting to get out of hand.

dlphg9
10-31-2016, 05:48 PM
First hit wasn't even close to dirty. The defender was already going in for a tackle and Smith decided to slide. Second hit should have been a flag. He could have literally killed him with that pushing his head shit

NJChiefsFan
10-31-2016, 06:38 PM
The first hit was absolutely dirty. Second one was iffy, but after taking 3 or 4 blatant late hits in the Saints game, this shit is starting to get out of hand.

How was the first hit dirty? It was Alex's fault for sliding so late. Alex is a QB that runs so you can't expect a defender to just know and assume that he is going to go into a "give myself up" slide. He could have juked, dove forward, ect.

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 07:28 PM
I didn't get to see the first hit, but the second hit was definitely dirty. Did anyone notice the player who intentionally slammed Alex's head to the ground? It was Casey Geathers. Recognize that last name? His cousin is Robert Geathers, another cheap-shot NFL player who attacked a Chiefs quarterback during a slide.

displacedinMN
10-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Should be fined. Maybe the league will tomorrow-but not going to hold out hope.

Raiderhater
10-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Has Reid stated why after already having a close call Smith was allowed to go back onto the field while the team had a lead?

Valiant
10-31-2016, 09:47 PM
1st one alex slid late. 2nd one will be a fine for slamming and turning head.

DaFace
10-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Has Reid stated why after already having a close call Smith was allowed to go back onto the field while the team had a lead?

He's addressed it in press conferences, yes. Basically, he was told by the team doc that Alex was OK. Reid asked Alex, and he said he was OK. Reid isn't the doc - he's the coach, and he was told that there wasn't anything to worry about. So he called the game as he normally would.

It's not like option plays are a rarity in this offense.

Chromatic
10-31-2016, 10:04 PM

The title of your gif

https://youtu.be/a5oEzVbu8HQ?t=7

Reerun_KC
10-31-2016, 10:04 PM
He's addressed it in press conferences, yes. Basically, he was told by the team doc that Alex was OK. Reid asked Alex, and he said he was OK. Reid isn't the doc - he's the coach, and he was told that there wasn't anything to worry about. So he called the game as he normally would.

It's not like option plays are a rarity in this offense.

I'm not sure risking the rest of the season was that important in Indy. They had no shot at beating KC and the game wasn't in doubt. So why risk your franchise QB even if you're remotely cautious?

He should of stayed on the sidelines....

Hammock Parties
10-31-2016, 10:15 PM
https://youtu.be/a5oEzVbu8HQ?t=7

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o6F6u5TIUbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BryanBusby
10-31-2016, 10:19 PM
Late slide or not, you can't be shoving a QB's head into the ground with your hands.

wazu
11-01-2016, 05:59 AM
I think its tough to prove intent on this one. Going to the ground so hands out to catch himself, only one hand touched helmet and moved off quickly. Maybe it was intentional, but I can't tell.

Rausch
11-01-2016, 06:01 AM
I think its tough to prove intent on this one.

To me, nope.

How you can you watch that and not see a man slamming his head down is confusing to me.

How do you not see that?

Marcellus
11-01-2016, 06:03 AM
I think its tough to prove intent on this one. Going to the ground so hands out to catch himself, only one hand touched helmet and moved off quickly. Maybe it was intentional, but I can't tell.

Since when has intent ever mattered when hitting an NFL QB? A brush of a hand across a helmet has drawn flags for years.

Intent means nothing when it comes to personal fouls.

Rausch
11-01-2016, 06:09 AM
Since when has intent ever mattered when hitting an NFL QB? A brush of a hand across a helmet has drawn flags for years.

ONLY when that QB is an NFL favorite. A star.

ETC...

wazu
11-01-2016, 06:13 AM

He's running the option on this play, not sure that rule is as cut and dried.

wazu
11-01-2016, 06:14 AM
To me, nope.

How you can you watch that and not see a man slamming his head down is confusing to me.

How do you not see that?

By taking off my Chiefs homer glasses and considering the alternative.