PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Do you even Whole Foods, bro?

Fire Me Boy!
11-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Do you like or shop at Whole Foods? I love 'em, but they're expensive. I could just walk around in one for an hour. One finally opened around here, so no more visits when I'm in Birmingham. Kinda stoked.

Ours has a beer stand to fill up growlers with a half-dozen Alabama beers. Kinda cool. And they always have really good milk and cheese

Chiefshrink
11-12-2016, 06:03 PM
All specialty and organics are expensive.

threebag
11-12-2016, 06:06 PM
I was whole foods when whole foods wasn't cool.

EPodolak
11-12-2016, 06:22 PM
I buy a little less from Whole Foods now there's a Trader Joe's down the street. Cheaper there, but not as much variety.

HemiEd
11-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Nope, I eat at Cracker Barrel. :D

Buzz
11-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Not when a small salad from the salad bar cost me 5 bucks for lunch.

TribalElder
11-12-2016, 06:52 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2UFc1pr2yUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RobBlake
11-12-2016, 07:04 PM
do you guys have a Sprouts in the middle west? We got one in cali.. their like whole foods.. not to shabby

Bugeater
11-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Hy-Vee

BWillie
11-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Do you like or shop at Whole Foods? I love 'em, but they're expensive. I could just walk around in one for an hour. One finally opened around here, so no more visits when I'm in Birmingham. Kinda stoked.

Ours has a beer stand to fill up growlers with a half-dozen Alabama beers. Kinda cool. And they always have really good milk and cheese

Natural Grocers is waaaay cheaper.

I only go to Whole Foods for their green smoothie, because they actually put a decent amt of vegetables in it.

listopencil
11-12-2016, 07:09 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H96XcNWKZVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
11-12-2016, 07:09 PM
No, I Trader Joes though....

EPodolak
11-12-2016, 07:11 PM
do you guys have a Sprouts in the middle west? We got one in cali.. their like whole foods.. not to shabby

We have Sprouts here, some good stuff. Every bit as expensive as Whole Foods.

Fire Me Boy!
11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
I like WF's pizza quite a bit.

DaKCMan AP
11-12-2016, 07:27 PM
We generally stick to Trader Joe's, Publix, and Sam's along with belonging to a CSA. We did go to Whole Foods today because they sent us $20 off $100.

Third Eye
11-12-2016, 07:27 PM
I sometimes visit Whole Foods, but have more recently started shopping more at Lucky's.

Jewish Rabbi
11-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Whole Foods=Whole Paycheck

RunKC
11-12-2016, 07:55 PM
If you're an organic food person you might want to look at Aldi. They are now the 2nd national store behind Whole Foods with the most organic products, and they are a lot less.

My brother shops there for his family and I tried some of it and it was great. Thinking of buying there (I go to sprouts and Trader Joes).

Fire Me Boy!
11-12-2016, 08:06 PM
No Aldi's or Trader Joe's around these parts.

DaFace
11-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Oddly, the closest one to us is about a 15-20 minute drive, so we don't go there often. I like the idea, but not enough to make it a regular destination.

TimBone
11-12-2016, 08:13 PM
I was just there yesterday picking up lobster and Lone Pint Yellow Rose.

SAUTO
11-12-2016, 08:14 PM
I was just there yesterday picking up lobster and Lone Pint Yellow Rose.

Pimp

GloucesterChief
11-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Aldi, mainly for the stuff they bring in from Europe though.

Buehler445
11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
No.

1. I live in BFE.

2. The whole organic cult thing pisses me right the fuck off. I mean RIGHT THE FUCK OFF. Unprocessed is fine. Fuck organic.

Fire Me Boy!
11-12-2016, 08:32 PM
No.

1. I live in BFE.

2. The whole organic cult thing pisses me right the fuck off. I mean RIGHT THE FUCK OFF. Unprocessed is fine. Fuck organic.

I don't actually give a shit about organic. I like WF because their produce section generally kicks ass, their fish counter is outstanding, and their bakery rocks.

Buehler445
11-12-2016, 08:35 PM
I don't actually give a shit about organic. I like WF because their produce section generally kicks ass, their fish counter is outstanding, and their bakery rocks.

Fair enough, but they are big drivers in the organic cult. I'm all about unprocessed though.

Miles
11-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Have one about a half mile from me that has a real great beer selection. Rest is hit or miss.

Much prefer HEBs version in TX - Central Market.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-12-2016, 08:49 PM
No. Only the damned hippies with Subarus and mountain bike racks shop at that abortion.

Fire Me Boy!
11-12-2016, 08:50 PM
No. Only the damned hippies with Subarus and mountain bike racks shop at that abortion.

Good. Then I won't have to find your redneck hillbilly white trash ass there.

Great Expectations
11-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I think Aldi is the largest grocery chain in the world. They have a few spinoffs and are German owned.

ClevelandBronco
11-12-2016, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't even buy from Half Foods.

GloucesterChief
11-12-2016, 09:20 PM
I think Aldi is the largest grocery chain in the world. They have a few spinoffs and are German owned.

There are two Aldi's actually. Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. One owns Trader Joes and the other has the Aldi stores in the US.

KCUnited
11-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I don't grocery shop at them, but the couple around me have some really nice beer release events that I'll swing through for. Usually the beers that fly off the shelves at the better known liquor stores will last a few days longer at WF.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Good. Then I won't have to find your redneck hillbilly white trash ass there.

Don't you have a march in DC to prep for, Gladys?

Hoover
11-12-2016, 09:51 PM
I voted for Trump, what's this whole food thing you speak of?

threebag
11-12-2016, 10:24 PM

I don't see that shit parked there when I pull up in my Hummer

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Imma' give some hummers in the Whole Foods parking lot to some dirty hippies with Subarus

We had to get that shit straight. :D

Buzz
11-12-2016, 10:39 PM
I went in for a tossed salad, I expect better service.

threebag
11-12-2016, 10:42 PM
LMAO

I would motor boat some of that sweet organic pussy that shops there.

Chiefshrink
11-12-2016, 10:47 PM

Sprouts is where it's at !!! Excellent produce that is fairly priced and when they have deals they are the bomb !!

Baby Lee
11-12-2016, 10:57 PM
There was a time when they carried a few things you couldn't find elsewhere that justified the cost. But times have progressed and just about anything you can get at WF, you can find better and cheaper elsewhere.

I used to go there for bottled teas [used to be about the only place to find Itoen], import cheeses, olives and dolmas, almond butter, Lambics, and I'd occasionally raid their hot food bar.

Trader Joes and the higher end Dierbergs have filled in most of the gaps since. We don't have Sprouts in StL, but I shop there with the parents for durable goods when I visit back to KC.

frozenchief
11-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I wish. No WF or Trader Joe's in AK. It's pretty much Fred Meyer, Safeway and specialized delivery up here. But we have excellent seafood.

BucEyedPea
11-12-2016, 10:59 PM
No, but I do shop at an two smaller organic/natural markets. I just don't buy everything at them. I will go to Whole Foods if I can't get something at the other places. I do stop in if I am at the mall and need something without making a separate trip. When I do, I can't resist their buffet.

BucEyedPea
11-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I wish. No WF or Trader Joe's in AK. It's pretty much Fred Meyer, Safeway and specialized delivery up here. But we have excellent seafood.

How does it taste these days with the Fukushima nuclear waste in the Pacific Ocean? I hear lots of sick fish and seals with growths on them?

Spott
11-12-2016, 11:24 PM
I go to the one by the house every week or two, but I would go to Trader Joe's more often if it wasn't 20 minutes away.

Don Corlemahomes
11-13-2016, 12:12 AM
I shop almost exclusively at WF.

Saccopoo
11-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Nope. the whole organic thing is bullshit. I do like the unfiltered apple juice though.

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2016, 09:51 AM
There was a time when they carried a few things you couldn't find elsewhere that justified the cost. But times have progressed and just about anything you can get at WF, you can find better and cheaper elsewhere.

I used to go there for bottled teas [used to be about the only place to find Itoen], import cheeses, olives and dolmas, almond butter, Lambics, and I'd occasionally raid their hot food bar.

Trader Joes and the higher end Dierbergs have filled in most of the gaps since. We don't have Sprouts in StL, but I shop there with the parents for durable goods when I visit back to KC.

Our only real options here without driving to Birmingham (about 90 minutes for me) is Public, Winn Dixie, and Walmart. Whole Foods still carries quite a bit I can't get elsewhere without shopping online. For instance... I'm making dal tonight. I've looked in every store within 50 miles and couldn't find red lentils. Yet there they were in WF for $1.29/lb.

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Nope. the whole organic thing is bullshit. I do like the unfiltered apple juice though.

Like I said earlier, I don't give a shit about organic. I like WF because their produce, fish, and bakeries are second to none around here.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-13-2016, 10:18 AM
As noted above - Aldi will go all-organic in January '17, so think about them for your produce needs at a lower price point. (FYI, Aldis and Trader Joes were owned by two brothers - one (Albrecht) was kidnapped back in the 70s and they bargained the ransom down.) I worked briefly @ Sprouts as a good part time job since I know this and that and it proved useful there. Nice food and always take advantage of their sales but be aware, they have some hard charger bosses who won't let old guys w/sciatica sit down when they need to. That shouldn't bother you tho, I still shop there and sit down anytime I please. Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) has great bread and seafood and produce - and access to a ton of useful stuff you may have a hard time finding elsewhere. There are very few bargains but it's a good place to buy 'a certain type of vitamin D' plus bread/seafood/produce. All of these joints are a good place to girlwatch. Assume the girls are high maintenance but like to be spanked and you'll go far.

frozenchief
11-13-2016, 10:47 AM
How does it taste these days with the Fukushima nuclear waste in the Pacific Ocean? I hear lots of sick fish and seals with growths on them?

I don't eat seals because the taste is disgusting. Haven't seen any issues with shellfish, salmon or halibut. We dipnet or get fish from friends who dipnet and if a salmon looks bad we won't eat it.

I haven't heard of so much radioactive items coming ashore. I know there are places where debris has washed ashore but not so much about radioactive stuff.

scho63
11-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Whole Foods, Wegmans, and Trader Joes all have some really unique foods and really good. They aren't the cheapest places around especially Whole Food and Wegmans.

BucEyedPea
11-13-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't eat seals because the taste is disgusting. Haven't seen any issues with shellfish, salmon or halibut. We dipnet or get fish from friends who dipnet and if a salmon looks bad we won't eat it.

I haven't heard of so much radioactive items coming ashore. I know there are places where debris has washed ashore but not so much about radioactive stuff.

Well, I didn't think you ate seals, so much as I thought what they got may also affect the other fish. I read there's dead starfish and starfish with growths that has washed ashore in Cali too. Just curious.

I will no longer eat Alaska salmon or anything from the Pacific. I had Chilean langostinos and got sick from it. No shrimp from Indonesia for me any more. Only Gulf or Atlantic seafood now.

scho63
11-13-2016, 03:16 PM
I shop almost exclusively at WF.

Look at the socialite! :D

GloucesterChief
11-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Well, I didn't think you ate seals, so much as I thought what they got may also affect the other fish. I read there's dead starfish and starfish with growths that has washed ashore in Cali too. Just curious.

I will no longer eat Alaska salmon or anything from the Pacific. I had Chilean langostinos and got sick from it. No shrimp from Indonesia for me any more. Only Gulf or Atlantic seafood now.

Good. More for me. You can keep your Atlantic Salmon and I will have the much tastier Pacific.

Fire Me Boy!
11-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Good. More for me. You can keep your Atlantic Salmon and I will have the much tastier Pacific.

Plus, if there is some radiation, you're on your way to being an X-Man. Better fish, X-Man possibility. Win-win.

CrazyPhuD
11-13-2016, 03:58 PM
I only eat inorganic foods so no....except for thier asparagus water. It's over the top!
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2015/greatideas/blog/150817/asparagus-water-600x600.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
11-13-2016, 04:41 PM
No

Don Corlemahomes
11-13-2016, 04:48 PM
I only eat inorganic foods so no....except for thier asparagus water. It's over the top!
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2015/greatideas/blog/150817/asparagus-water-600x600.jpg

Anyone who buys a 6 dollar asparagus water deserves to be separated from their money.

Clyde Frog
11-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Only for beer

PunkinDrublic
11-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Have one about a half mile from me that has a real great beer selection. Rest is hit or miss.

Much prefer HEBs version in TX - Central Market.

This. Central Market blows WF away. Love that place.

WilliamTheIrish
11-13-2016, 07:48 PM
As noted above - Aldi will go all-organic in January '17, so think about them for your produce needs at a lower price point. (FYI, Aldis and Trader Joes were owned by two brothers - one (Albrecht) was kidnapped back in the 70s and they bargained the ransom down.) I worked briefly @ Sprouts as a good part time job since I know this and that and it proved useful there. Nice food and always take advantage of their sales but be aware, they have some hard charger bosses who won't let old guys w/sciatica sit down when they need to. That shouldn't bother you tho, I still shop there and sit down anytime I please. Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) has great bread and seafood and produce - and access to a ton of useful stuff you may have a hard time finding elsewhere. There are very few bargains but it's a good place to buy 'a certain type of vitamin D' plus bread/seafood/produce. All of these joints are a good place to girlwatch. Assume the girls are high maintenance but like to be spanked and you'll go far.

BOCF!! Good to see your handle.

I really like WF. But I do shop more at Aldi.