PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Thanksgiving 2016

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 08:22 AM
We're 1 week out, what are you planning?

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Mrs. FMB! is getting a turkey from her work today, so we're doing turkey (we usually do something different - we've done prime rib, to steaks, to lasagna before). I'm thinking about putting it on the PBC and smoking it. Never done that before, though, so doing it on Thanksgiving is a little dangerous. But it's just the wife and me this year, so not a major ordeal if it doesn't work out.

Side: Probably stick pretty traditional. The wife demands simple mashed potatoes and gravy and dressing. And she'll probably whip up a pecan and pumpkin pies. I also have a slow cooker recipe for green bean casserole from ATK that I'm interested in trying.

Dayze
11-17-2016, 08:36 AM
plan on doing three days worth of shit that I don't want to do.

I LOATHE thanksgiving and X-mas. any time off from work is spent zig zagging all over the city visiting and doing the appearance thing.
each year pray for 10' of snow so we're snowed completely in and I actually get a relaxing 3 day weekend. As it currently stands, it's 3 days of pure chaos, close my eyes and wake up and it's Monday and time to go back to work.

Buehler445
11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Mom wants me to smoke one. Not excited about it but whatever. I hate the holidays.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 08:39 AM
plan on doing three days worth of shit that I don't want to do.

I LOATHE thanksgiving and X-mas. any time off from work is spent zig zagging all over the city visiting and doing the appearance thing.
each year pray for 10' of snow so we're snowed completely in and I actually get a relaxing 3 day weekend. As it currently stands, it's 3 days of pure chaos, close my eyes and wake up and it's Monday and time to go back to work.

That sucks. Our closest family is an 11-hour drive. So we typically stay home every year. It's nice. Plus, I'm on vacation all next week and the following Monday.

loochy
11-17-2016, 08:44 AM
I plan on eating and not working.

Grim
11-17-2016, 08:44 AM
This is probably a good place to ask.....
WTF is up with Green Bean casserole!?!? What's the appeal? For many people, it seems like the quality of the green bean casserole is what they base the quality of the entire meal.
I've had green bean casserole that other people said was bad and I agreed that it was bad.
I've had green bean casserole that other people said was fantastic and I thought it was bad.
Every time I've had it , it tasted like green beans in cream of mushroom soup.......not appealing.
I like green beans.
I like cream of mushroom soup (ESPECIALLY as a substitute for milk and butter in my Kraft Mac-n-Cheese).
Put the two together and they seem to diminish each other in some way.

cabletech94
11-17-2016, 08:45 AM
grocery store last week had samples of prime rib made in a slow cooker. it was phenomenal. they only have it twice a year, and it's $9 a pound, but im gonna give it a shot.
also will check out the price at the butchers' shop, just to compare.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 08:46 AM
WTF is up with Green Bean casserole!?!? What's the appeal? For many people, it seems like the quality of the green bean casserole is what they base the quality of the entire meal.
I've had green bean casserole that other people said was bad and I agreed that it was bad.
I've had green bean casserole that other people said was fantastic and I thought it was bad.
Every time I've had it , it tasted like green beans in cream of mushroom soup.......not appealing.
I like green beans.
I like cream of mushroom soup (ESPECIALLY as a substitute for milk and butter in my Kraft Mac-n-Cheese).

:shrug:

I've never seen someone judge the entire meal on the GBC. I never used to like green bean casserole, but then I made one from Paula Dean, I think, that was really tasty. I think it used some cream of mushroom soup, but it augmented the mushrooms considerably.

cabletech94
11-17-2016, 08:46 AM
I like green beans.

it's all about the fried onion strings dude!!! (just my 2 cents. i eat just about anything without persecution)

loochy
11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
grocery store last week had samples of prime rib made in a slow cooker. it was phenomenal. they only have it twice a year, and it's $9 a pound, but im gonna give it a shot.
also will check out the price at the butchers' shop, just to compare.

My mother in law made the decision to do prime rib this year over turkey.

I think it is a phenomenal decision.

cabletech94
11-17-2016, 09:09 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/pws-prime-rib-with-rosemary-salt-crust-recipe.html#lightbox-recipe-video

this would appear deceiving too easy.....

mikeyis4dcats.
11-17-2016, 09:27 AM
fairly traditional for the wife's family. I'm deep frying a turkey and going to sous vide one.

For my side of the family we will get together on Friday, and I convinced everyone to just go out to dinner rather than making another Thanksgiving feast.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 09:29 AM
fairly traditional for the wife's family. I'm deep frying a turkey and going to sous vide one.

For my side of the family we will get together on Friday, and I convinced everyone to just go out to dinner rather than making another Thanksgiving feast.

HTF are you sous vide'ing a turkey!?!?!

Bowser
11-17-2016, 09:38 AM
I'll be honest - it doesn't even feel like Thanksgiving considering the crazy mild weather we've had here in KC this month (not complaining in the least, just saying). That on top of this year being so ridiculously hectic, I'm not sure what we're having or if we're even doing it at all. My work has a sign up sheet for people that want to work Thanksgiving day, and I'm considering it. Triple time doesn't sound bad with the holidays coming up.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-17-2016, 09:47 AM
HTF are you sous vide'ing a turkey!?!?!

there are a couple of recipes

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html

https://anovaculinary.com/the-food-lab-sous-vide-turkey-guide/

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever

vailpass
11-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Dinner at El Chorro, drinks by the pool. Unless I get lazy and bail out for a day on the couch.

KCUnited
11-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Got my dad flying in from KC for the holiday. Pretty stoked as guests means we're obligated to do the touristy stuff that we take for granted. So deep dish pizza, hitting the aquarium on Friday, and copious amounts of Bourbon County Stouts getting released all over the city. Thanksgiving has turned into one of my favorites now that I've moved away from my wife's side of the family.

Lonewolf Ed
11-17-2016, 09:56 AM
I am scheduled for chemo on Monday and will carry the infusion pump with me until Wednesday, so I asked for help this year. I will have cold sensitivity and probably be drained and tired. I asked a friend to make the salad and a side, so I will make the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, red cabbage, and the dessert.

I make a stock to put in the oven with the turkey from various vegetables and seasonings, the turkey neck, heart, gizzard, and liver with 2 bottles of brown ale and water, a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce, and let that boil, then simmer for 2 hours. I pour most of the liquid if not all back onto the turkey and roast the bird slowly. The gravy turns out wonderful from the turkey and the stock. I thicken it with corn starch and water, so it turns a light tan color, but when it boils, it suddenly changes to a rich, deep brown. I add pepper, salt, oregano, mustard powder, garlic powder, and thyme before it boils. My family and friends tell me it is the best gravy they have ever tasted. I love it, too!

By the way, having the turkey half submerged in the roasting pan makes it so tender, the bones just slide right out of the wings. Even the white meat is juicy and tender.

scho63
11-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Same as 8 out of the last 9 years, I head to Stonewall at Lake Manassas Golf Club here in northern VA for their buffet.

Works out perfectly! :drool:

Bowser
11-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Same as 8 out of the last 9 years, I head to Stonewall at Lake Manassas Golf Club here in northern VA for their buffet.

Works out perfectly! :drool:

Just as the Pilgrims intended!

eDave
11-17-2016, 10:34 AM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lqGkbVXSaKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marcellus
11-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Mrs. FMB! is getting a turkey from her work today, so we're doing turkey (we usually do something different - we've done prime rib, to steaks, to lasagna before). I'm thinking about putting it on the PBC and smoking it. Never done that before, though, so doing it on Thanksgiving is a little dangerous. But it's just the wife and me this year, so not a major ordeal if it doesn't work out.

Side: Probably stick pretty traditional. The wife demands simple mashed potatoes and gravy and dressing. And she'll probably whip up a pecan and pumpkin pies. I also have a slow cooker recipe for green bean casserole from ATK that I'm interested in trying.

I'm actually taking a shot at smoking a whole turkey this year as well. Doesn't look too tough.

luv
11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Boyfriend actually has the day off. If the weather's not bad, we're going to do the local Turkey Trot 5k. Other than that, I'm really not sure yet.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 10:57 AM
we are goin to go Pofulks this year they do togos

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm heading out of town tomorrow until the end of the year. Hopefully Houston has a spread somewhere that the wife and I can gorge ourselves at. Although, I may end up cooking the dinner myself. Kind of undecided. It's weird since it's just the two of us, although my dogs sure prefer when I cook the meal myself. :)

tooge
11-17-2016, 11:06 AM
If you are smoking a turkey, spatchcock it first. Or debone it. I did both last year and it was amazing.

It's just the wife and kids and I this year, so I'm gonna put a small turkey on the Showtime rotisserie. That thing is money and makes killer food. Then I'll make a cranberry walnut relish, some mashed taters and gravy, and a mushroom bread pudding that subs for stuffing. Probably just buy a pie.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 11:06 AM
with seven children it makes it price'ey. Pofulks is the best deal out ther rite now.the gravey is good and ho made tastse

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 11:07 AM
If you are smoking a turkey, spatchcock it first. Or debone it. I did both last year and it was amazing.

It's just the wife and kids and I this year, so I'm gonna put a small turkey on the Showtime rotisserie. That thing is money and makes killer food. Then I'll make a cranberry walnut relish, some mashed taters and gravy, and a mushroom bread pudding that subs for stuffing. Probably just buy a pie.

not 1 to enterrupt - but sometime it cheaper to just uy alrady cook'd up.

tooge
11-17-2016, 11:09 AM
not 1 to enterrupt - but sometime it cheaper to just uy alrady cook'd up.

Ass sphincter says what?

gblowfish
11-17-2016, 11:28 AM
As long as I get a deviled egg and some jellied cranberry sauce, I'm a happy guy.

TimBone
11-17-2016, 11:31 AM
I was just thinking about the menu today. Rather than going home to family, we're hosting friends this year, so its all on us. Ive smoked a turkey in years past, but I dont feel like dealing with the hassle this year. So, I've reserved a fried turkey with the local meat market that will be available for pickup the day before.

Other than that, I kind of want some traditional mashed potatoes and gravy, and mac and cheese.

I dont care which vegetables make the cut, as I'll only be eating them to keep up appearances that I'm an adult.

And the friends we're hosting are mexican, and they know I looooooove flan, so hopefully somebody is making me a flan.

I'd be very thankful if i got a flan.

TimBone
11-17-2016, 11:34 AM
I like green beans.
GBC is stupid.

Bugeater
11-17-2016, 11:43 AM
For the first time in like, ever, I have all four days off. So eat, watch football, rinse and repeat the entire weekend.

Bowser
11-17-2016, 11:45 AM
GBC is stupid.

SO IS YOUR FACE

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 11:47 AM
u eaten beaver beavereatr never had it only had try hair and squiral. happy thankgiving to u n yous. goin be a great day to we getting pofualks togo for kids I have seven so gets to b lot of money to simple eat no wild game his year for us

gblowfish
11-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Every year I head off to a little bitty town called Frankfort, KS on KS Hwy 99, just south of US 36. My wife's side of the family. Little 2-bedroom house, they cram about 50 people in there. I've had Thanksgiving on the front seat of my car; paper plate, listening to the NFL game on my car radio for many years now. No TV in the house, no place to sit in the house. It's weird. When I was a kid, it was my family, dining room table, good china, Norman Rockwell meal. Both are great, so I've been able to experience both. When I worked in radio many years ago I missed some Thanksgivings because I had to work in Columbia, MO. Very sad having Swanson's frozen turkey TV dinner in an abandoned radio station, keeping it flying on a holiday. Makes me appreciate having the day off now.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have a DadLeft4Cigarettes decoder ring?

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Every year I head off to a little bitty town called Frankfort, KS on KS Hwy 99, just south of US 36. My wife's side of the family. Little 2-bedroom house, they cram about 50 people in there. I've had Thanksgiving on the front seat of my car; paper plate, listening to the NFL game on my car radio for many years now. No TV in the house, no place to sit in the house. It's weird. When I was a kid, it was my family, dining room table, good china, Norman Rockwell meal. Both are great, so I've been able to experience both. When I worked in radio many years ago I missed some Thanksgivings because I had to work in Columbia, MO. Very sad having Swanson's frozen turkey TV dinner in an abandoned radio station, keeping it flying on a holiday. Makes me appreciate having the day off now.

Working in radio, newspapers, and TV for the last 20 years, I totally understand, man.

loochy
11-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have a DadLeft4Cigarettes decoder ring?

Maybe smed knows where to find one

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe smed knows where to find one

I've read his last past a half dozen times and can't figure how he typed that without just hitting the auto-fill word button on his phone repeatedly.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 12:01 PM
I don in way one feel welcome her. it is fruitstraineng. time of year is now toby gave thanks. does Chiefs play on thangsgivin day or night do u now? or anybody

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 12:09 PM
I don in way one feel welcome her. it is fruitstraineng. time of year is now toby gave thanks. does Chiefs play on thangsgivin day or night do u now? or anybody

Any newb is going to get some ribbing, but one way to stave that off is to not write like you're on Book 1, Intro of Hooked on Phonics. When people have to read your posts multiple times just to even get the basic gist of what you're trying to say, you're doing it wrong. Something even close to proper spelling (****ing "fruitstraineng"?) would help. If you don't have enough respect of your fellow poster to make an attempt at proper writing, why should your fellow poster have respect for your thoughts?

KCUnited
11-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Reeks of pgm

DaneMcCloud
11-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Ribeye's on the grill, boiled shrimp, steak fries and dessert of some sort, probably a pecan pie from The Alcove.

I've never been a turkey on Thanksgiving guy.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 12:21 PM
oo sound good to me danem - but may be like for forth july dinner then turk day. but never is to wrong time to do steak I said! have fun that t-day this seas

BlackHelicopters
11-17-2016, 12:31 PM
oo sound good to me danem - but may be like for forth july dinner then turk day. but never is to wrong time to do steak I said! have fun that t-day this seas

English please

MahiMike
11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Just realized yesterday that it's next week.

Bugeater
11-17-2016, 12:37 PM
I've read his last past a half dozen times and can't figure how he typed that without just hitting the auto-fill word button on his phone repeatedly.
I'm tempted to ask for an explanation of his username but I wouldn't understand it anyway.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 12:41 PM

best to go get turnkey today than! tokes about 2 days to dethawal. if u used frozne turnkey it yes it cook up okay - but will b tuff jus like jerky can be

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 12:42 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/sv8wn.jpg

loochy
11-17-2016, 12:43 PM
best to go get turnkey today than! tokes about 2 days to dethawal. if u used frozne turnkey it yes it cook up okay - but will b tuff jus like jerky can be

Kanu pleez x-plane whatr is rong withu?

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I join the 3 or 4 others of you smoking a turkey this year. Open to any and all suggestions, as a turkey is about the only thing I've yet to smoke on my GMG. My family is doing the rest of the cooking, thankfully.

loochy
11-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Any newb is going to get some ribbing, but one way to stave that off is to not write like you're on Book 1, Intro of Hooked on Phonics. When people have to read your posts multiple times just to even get the basic gist of what you're trying to say, you're doing it wrong. Something even close to proper spelling (****ing "fruitstraineng"?) would help. If you don't have enough respect of your fellow poster to make an attempt at proper writing, why should your fellow poster have respect for your thoughts?

It's extra bad when most web browsers have inline spell check and most phones have auto correct.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 12:44 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

:clap:

Simply Red
11-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I join the 3 or 4 others of you smoking a turkey this year. Open to any and all suggestions, as a turkey is about the only thing I've yet to smoke on my GMG. My family is doing the rest of the cooking, thankfully.

One year we got Zarda BBQ shipped on blue ice (when I was married) - it was only so, so..

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 12:45 PM

What's GMG?

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Mult messing around or just an idiot who bought a computer rather than paying his monthly child support.

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 12:46 PM
What's GMG?

Sorry...Green Mountain Grill (line of electric wood pellet smokers)

loochy
11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Mult messing around or just an idiot who bought a computer rather than paying his monthly child support.

Jose Canusee by the donzerly light?

cabletech94
11-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Ribeye's on the grill, boiled shrimp, steak fries and dessert of some sort, probably a pecan pie from The Alcove.

I've never been a turkey on Thanksgiving guy.

this is as unamerican as it can get. just like the indians.

;)

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 12:56 PM

u thank I m dumb boy? welp youre mom is like resess at elm-mentry school evry1 gets to play!! keep goin I got ton o these grills

this time of years is good to be thanksful no to act like pud kid

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 12:58 PM
u thank I m dumb boy? welp youre mom is like resess at elm-mentry school evry1 gets to play!! keep goin I got ton o these grills

this time of years is good to be thanksful no to act like pud kid

Now 100% sure he's a MULT

Fire Me Boy!

;)

Nah. We wouldn't be doing turkey if the wife wasn't getting one for free.

But I didn't grow up eating turkey on turkey day. It was always a roast or ham; my brother is allergic to poultry.

Randallflagg

Sounds like My Grandfather's (RIP) Dairy farm in Indiana. Hell, when I was a kid (VERY early 60s) they still had an outhouse. Jesus - the cows lived better than they did...but the Holidays were always really special.

Simply Red
11-17-2016, 12:59 PM

;)

I'd prefer steak to turkey! :)

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Nah. We wouldn't be doing turkey if the wife wasn't getting one for free.

But I didn't grow up eating turkey on turkey day. It was always a roast or ham; my brother is allergic to poultry.

You just blew DadLeft4Cigs mind. Turkey ain't no chicken boy

loochy
11-17-2016, 01:03 PM
I always thought the best thing about the thanksgiving turkey was the leftovers. Leftover turkey + leftover rolls = the BEST lunches ever.

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 01:08 PM
not found o the altitudes here no shock tho evyone on the computer has problems and tuff hen not n reallife. taking a brake happy holyday you gays!

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 01:10 PM
I b back e on line on tgiveday for chiefs game

Dallas Chief
11-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Running a 4 Mile Race at 8am then throwing down like a king for much of the next few days. Good life.

Simply Red
11-17-2016, 01:14 PM
what on earth?

Simply Red
11-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Running a 4 Mile Race at 8am then throwing down like a king for much of the next few days. Good life.

Good for you DC!

MTG#10
11-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Im smoking a bird on my WSM for the 2nd time ever. First time was probably 10 years ago so I dont remember much, other than the meat not having much smoke flavor. I assume it was because the smoke doesn't penetrate the skin very well. Anyone ever tried smoking a turkey skinless?

Pasta Little Brioni
11-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Reeks of pgm

ROFL

It's definitely a smed imposter

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 01:25 PM
rest in hail yu too siriousli

4 the nicer people on her. thank you see you for that tgivin chiefs gaymen

Simply Red
11-17-2016, 01:26 PM
ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 01:26 PM
not found o the altitudes here no shock tho evyone on the computer has problems and tuff hen not n reallife. taking a brake happy holyday you gays!

I agree, the altitude up in this place is pretty ridiculous. It's getting tough to breath up here. Happy Holy Day, to you too, ya gay!

Frosty
11-17-2016, 01:27 PM
The boys will both be home from college this year so it will just be the four us with no travel (for me). It will be just a normal Thanksgiving - turkey, taters, fruit salad, etc plus pumpkin pie for wife and boys and yam pie for me. It should be pretty relaxing weekend other than worrying about youngest going to the Apple Cup in enemy territory on Friday.

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 01:34 PM

You're doing it wrong again! You have to post an official I'm leaving forever post. You'd be a record setter - less than a week and 15 posts in!

http://www.theloop.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/mansw.gif

DadLeft4Cigarettes
11-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Don b like that,

RockChalk
11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Don b like that,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b3ZZyAGlEOU/U8CpuBVI7mI/AAAAAAAAJ78/WtDI_q37eNE/s1600/Retard_at_a_keyboard.gif

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2016, 02:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b3ZZyAGlEOU/U8CpuBVI7mI/AAAAAAAAJ78/WtDI_q37eNE/s1600/Retard_at_a_keyboard.gif

ROFLROFLROFL

cabletech94
11-17-2016, 02:53 PM
headed for the hall of fame, i tells ya!!!!

mikeyis4dcats.
11-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Turkey is about the only thing I've ever smoked I didn't care for. But I'm not a turkey lover.

Dallas Chief
11-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Good for you DC!

Thanks SR! I hope you have a nice holiday. Enjoy your steak!

gblowfish
11-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Nice to see Sling Blade has joined the CP...

Rasputin
11-17-2016, 05:03 PM
I'll be stuck at work most of the day for Tday but they will probably provide food that will be good and the next day after I get off may go to my brothers. He is talking about doing a roast or something but all I really care about is having left over turkey sammich for three days straight after Thanksgiving,

and pie.

Rasputin
11-17-2016, 05:05 PM
We should have a thread to nominate peoples favorite pies then have Rain Man make a poll for Thanksgiving to determine CP favorite pie.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Hormel microwave Turkey
Chips
EZ Mac
Chips
BC tub potatoes
Chips
Canned peas
Chips

/Buzz

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Hormel microwave Turkey
Chips
EZ Mac
Chips
BC tub potatoes
Chips
Canned peas
Chips

/Buzz

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Frosty
11-17-2016, 05:45 PM
We should have a thread to nominate peoples favorite pies then have Rain Man make a poll for Thanksgiving to determine CP favorite pie.

Yam pie for me, please. You can throw the pumpkin pie in the trash for all I care.

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2016, 05:47 PM
We normally host 30+ people, but as the family expands and relocates, we're down to 10 this year.

Thinking of just smoking a beef tenderloin with some grilled sweet potatoes.

And booze. A fuckton of booze.

Frosty
11-17-2016, 05:51 PM
A lot of places have ribeyes on sale right now. I am definitely going for some of that but not for Tday itself.

Rasputin
11-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Yam pie for me, please. You can throw the pumpkin pie in the trash for all I care.

Is that with melted marshmallows or cool whip topping?

Rasputin
11-17-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking fantasizing about making a pistachio cream pie with chocolate chips in it.

Frosty
11-17-2016, 06:14 PM

Neither. Just like pumpkin pie except made with yams (yellow sweet potatoes) instead of pumpkin.

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2016, 06:15 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZmqJQ-nc_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O.city
11-17-2016, 06:35 PM
Gonna smoke 1 turkey and deep fry a wild bird

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Gonna smoke 1 turkey and deep fry a wild bird

Updates on how that turns out, please.

O.city
11-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Updates on how that turns out, please.

They're awesome.

Ill try and take some pics

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2016, 06:41 PM
They're awesome.

Ill try and take some pics

Noob question, but does deep frying take some of the gamey-ness out of it?

O.city
11-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Depends how you do it I suppose.

I do a fair bit of Cajun injection into it so imo, yes it does.

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Depends how you do it I suppose.

I do a fair bit of Cajun injection into it so imo, yes it does.

Sounds awesome. I'll be down on Friday.

LMAO

O.city
11-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Sounds awesome. I'll be down on Friday.

LMAO

Lol, I'll be in thayer so come on down

Squalor2
11-17-2016, 07:05 PM

no. it does not.

SAUTO
11-17-2016, 07:41 PM
I was just thinking about the menu today. Rather than going home to family, we're hosting friends this year, so its all on us. Ive smoked a turkey in years past, but I dont feel like dealing with the hassle this year. So, I've reserved a fried turkey with the local meat market that will be available for pickup the day before.

Other than that, I kind of want some traditional mashed potatoes and gravy, and mac and cheese.

I dont care which vegetables make the cut, as I'll only be eating them to keep up appearances that I'm an adult.

And the friends we're hosting are mexican, and they know I looooooove flan, so hopefully somebody is making me a flan.

I'd be very thankful if i got a flan.

We do the family thing every year with my wife's side, then the next weekend we have one with us and our friends, every one brings something and I do the meat.

We have a fucking blast. I can't wait

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Anybody done a smoked turkey before? Should I brine it?

Marcellus
11-19-2016, 05:17 PM

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/smoked-turkey

This is what I am doing along with spatchcocking it like Tooge suggested.

mlyonsd
Yes and yes.

Marcellus

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/smoked-turkey

Treager's recommendation for a brine.

seclark
11-19-2016, 06:21 PM

whatever you think...you know your cooking.
we're leaving for ga. early tues morning. son, dil, and grandaughter will host the holiday. smoked a bird today and wrapped it up, put it in the fridge. the wife will make noodles when we get there. gonna caravan down w/the son and his wife and kids. 15 hours. come home sunday and hope to catch the game on a radidio somewhere.

jammed the bird full of apple slices. have to use another turkey breast w/broth, cause the noodles don't work well w/a smoked bird(that's what she says).

hope to come home w/a shitload of pecans.

wanted to get a hotel room so i can sleep and shit by myself, but the wife says it's a family deal, so ok. i'll try not to be a grouchass
sec

BryanBusby
11-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Brine or inject.

Buehler445
11-19-2016, 07:19 PM

It would be better if you brined it but I never have. I don't have a big enough vessel for brining as big of turkey I need for my family.

I do inject butter several places in the breast thigh and legs. Just be sure to get lots of butter on the skin. I'm sure you know that.

I had a thread about it a few years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

BryanBusby
11-19-2016, 07:21 PM
It would be better if you brined it but I never have. I don't have a big enough vessel for brining as big of turkey I need for my family.

I do inject butter several places in the breast thigh and legs. Just be sure to get lots of butter on the skin. I'm sure you know that.

I'd be interested. I typically do a buttery type of injection and do a seasoning + olive oil coating on the skin

Buehler445
11-19-2016, 07:21 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220109

RJ made the thread not me.

BryanBusby
11-19-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm also a fan of the garlic and herb injection mixture that can be bought at the store.

I get multiple turkeys for free each year, so I typically smoke one turkey and do the rest in my big easy infrared fryer.

Nzoner
11-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Hosting family and friends,pretty much a basic menu

Turkey
Mom's recipe stuffing
Taters and gravy
Yams
GB casserole
Roasted veggies
Broccoli and rice
Pasta salad
Deviled eggs
Hot rolls
Peach cobbler
Pumpkin pie

kstater
11-21-2016, 11:10 AM
I get up at midnight and fire the smoker up for the brisket I do every year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kstater
11-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Yes, I've never brined for smoking, but my wife dry brined the roast turkey last year and was fantastic.

Buehler445
11-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Yes, I've never brined for smoking, but my wife dry brined the roast turkey last year and was fantastic.

Recipe? Im looking for something different.

tooge
11-21-2016, 12:01 PM

yes. Dry brine. Spatchcock it first,

Al Bundy
11-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Turkey with my mom.

tooge
11-21-2016, 12:06 PM
quarter cup kosher salt, quarter cup pepper, quarter cup garlic powder. 1 tsp thyme.
Spatchcock the bird. Dry rub the bird on both sides liberally. Set in refridgerator uncovered (very imortant) for three days or so.

Smoke over pecan, cherry, apple wood. Something not too strong.

loochy
11-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Use a cooler

add more ice as required to keep it under 40 degrees

maybe add more salt if you have to add a lot of ice

KCUnited
11-21-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm smoking a turkey this year.

DrRyan
11-21-2016, 01:29 PM

I'm actually taking a shot at smoking a whole turkey this year as well. Doesn't look too tough.

Brine it for sure. I have been smoking my Thanksgiving turkey on the BGE for 5-6 years now and I have never had a better or more moist turkey (believe it or not), injected and fried included. Use less wood for the smoke than you think you would need would be my only advice. Less than a small handful of cherry and apple wood is my choice and it comes out great every year.

Sausage apple sage stuffing, parmesan thyme roasted butternut squash is a new addition this year with all the other traditional stuff. Mmm great food, killer beers and bourbon FTW!

loochy
11-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Hey will you post the link for that? I want to try something different for the green bean casserole.

Fire Me Boy!
11-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Hey will you post the link for that? I want to try something different for the green bean casserole.

http://splendidtable.org/recipes/slow-cooker-green-bean-casserole

mikeyis4dcats.
11-21-2016, 02:52 PM
for those of you with Big Easys - have you had "real" fried turkey? How does it compare?

BryanBusby
11-21-2016, 03:17 PM
for those of you with Big Easys - have you had "real" fried turkey? How does it compare?
It's pretty close.

You will never have it exact because it's not possible, but the difference is close enough that you won't mind when you remember that it's more healthy and you don't have to buy jugs of peanut oil anymore.

loochy
11-21-2016, 03:29 PM
http://splendidtable.org/recipes/slow-cooker-green-bean-casserole

thanks!

Iowanian
11-21-2016, 04:15 PM
We'll do the usual....shoot a couple of opossums or raccoons, roll them around in a fire to burn the hair off, fill the abdomen cavity with hot rocks and wait an hour.

SAUTO
11-21-2016, 04:53 PM
We'll do the usual....shoot a couple of opossums or raccoons, roll them around in a fire to burn the hair off, fill the abdomen cavity with hot rocks and wait an hour.

FUCK YEAH. good idea, im in.

HemiEd
11-21-2016, 06:39 PM
I have done many of them and have never brined it. They have always turned out well.

The last few years my younger brother has soaked his in a citrus ice bath for a few days and they get nice and tender.

Buzz
11-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Hormel microwave Turkey
Chips
EZ Mac
Chips
BC tub potatoes
Chips
Canned peas
Chips

/Buzz

I think I can work with this! I love watching chopped.

Buzz
11-21-2016, 08:15 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

:harumph:

Pablo
11-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Use a cooler

add more ice as required to keep it under 40 degrees

maybe add more salt if you have to add a lot of ice
I bought a five gallon bucket from Home Depot to do my brining in. Set it in the garage or outside to keep it cool.

Gadzooks
11-21-2016, 11:17 PM
I bought a five gallon bucket from Home Depot to do my brining in. Set it in the garage or outside to keep it cool.

I use a garbage bag to brine.

WhawhaWhat
11-22-2016, 12:24 PM
This just in: Heinz jarred gravy is not safe to eat! (http://www.kmbc.com/article/heinz-recalls-jars-of-gravy-days-before-thanksgiving/8352816)

Heinz recalls jars of gravy
Heinz recalls jars of gravy SOURCE: FDA/KMBC-TV
KANSAS CITY, Mo. —
Heinz has recalled about 500 cases of HomeStyle Bistro Au Jus Gravy just days before Thanksgiving because some of the jars may be mislabeled, the FDA has announced.

Some of the jars may be mislabeled as Heinz Pork Gravy and therefore not labeled as containing milk and soy, the FDA said.

People with an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk or soy could run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they were to consume the product, the FDA said.

So far there have been no complains or illness related to this issue, according to the FDA.

Consumers should look for this information on their bottles of gravy:

For Consumers: Heinz HomeStyle Gravy Pork
Individual Packages 12oz glass Jar
Best By 12/28/2017

The product can be returned to the store where it was purchased for a full exchange or refund. Anyone with questions can call 1-866-572-3808 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET.

sd4chiefs
11-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanksgiving is going to suck this year at my In-laws. I just know that my conservative son (not that there is nothing wrong with that) and his cousins whack job hippie girlfriend (she is beyond liberal, she it just nuts) are going to get into a fist fight over the election results. I talked to him about it on the phone but I know that he wont be able to refrain himself when she starts in are her crazy talk.

Sorry if this thread ends up into a name calling sh** storm like in DC.

WhawhaWhat
11-22-2016, 01:27 PM
I just know that my conservative son (not that there is nothing wrong with that) and his cousins whack job hippie girlfriend (she is beyond liberal, she it just nuts) are going to get into a fist fight over the election results.

Is she hot?

sd4chiefs
11-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Is she hot?

Super hot and she likes to show off her big boobs.

Fire Me Boy!
11-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Spent day 2 of my vacation making stock. 4.5q of chicken stock already on the fridge. Another 4 to 5q of turkey stock cooling down now.

Now I think I'm gonna go make cranberry sauce.

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm smoking a Scarborough Fair turkey & a Scarborough Fair turkey breast.

The herbs in my herb garden are still green and fresh, so in they go. My bay leaf tree is very leafy these days, as well.

Dinny

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm smoking a Scarborough Fair turkey & a Scarborough Fair turkey breast.

The herbs in my herb garden are still green and fresh, so in they go. My bay leaf tree is very leafy these days, as well.

Dinny

I really want to plant some bay laurel.

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I really want to plant some bay laurel.

I've got mine in a pot I bring inside over winter. I'm not sure if the thing would survive out in the patch.

Dinny

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2016, 02:14 PM
I've got mine in a pot I bring inside over winter. I'm not sure if the thing would survive out in the patch.

Dinny

I've looked a little here. I think it would be OK in the ground, but not in a pot. I've nearly bought one a dozen times over the years, just never pulled the trigger.

Mr. Wizard
11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
- Turkey has been brine (ing) for 24 hours (coke, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, water, salt, black pepper, garlic, works on everything)
8:30 am start smoker get to 300
9:00 an turkey on smoker for an hour
10:00 turkey to kitchen paint with butter and basket wrap with bacon the to oven covered 300
11:15 uncover baste in juices back to oven watch top every 30 min until perfect browning then cover til 150 internal
take out and let sit
12:30 take the bad bitch to the table and uncover and carve in front of everybody

peace out

Hoopsdoc
11-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Pick out the Trump voter in this thread. LMAO

Miles
11-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Getting a smoked ham from local BBQ place this year instead of a turkey. Don't care about it being a meat from the wrong holiday because it's going to be damn good.

retkim
11-24-2016, 02:50 AM
Happy Thanksgiving guys! I don't really know much about the holiday except that it has something to do with the first settlers and the help they got from the indigenous people, oh, and of course that you all eat a turkey today :D

Enjoy!

HonestChieffan
11-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Big Green Egg is at temp and bird out of the brine and onto the heat..

Mosbonian
11-24-2016, 08:53 AM
I had to work Monday and then have the rest of the week off.....first time for me in years. I have worked for companies the last 10 years that have me working Mon-Wed and coming back in on Friday, so Thanksgiving was a bit jilted.

Tuesday my wife, my kids and I drove down to Disney Springs in Orlando to do some shopping and immerse ourselves in the beginning of the Christmas fun. While several on here seem to rue much about the holiday season, this year I am going to enjoy it...revel in it....I am not getting any younger and I am tired of living the "angry and discontented" life so many get because of the holiday rush. This year I am thankful for what I have and realized I truly have all I need.

So today......we are having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner:

Turkey,Mashed Potatoes and gravy (white gravy),Green beans (just normal, no fancy foo-foo crap), Dressing, Corn, Sweet potatoes, Yams, Baked Beans and home made rolls.

The wife is watching the Macy's parade and then after dinner this afternoon I will take my normal post-Turkey nap and then settle in for some football.

For me the Holiday season began on Tuesday and I intend to fully enjoy the revelry for the next 40 days.

To all my long time friends here.....Have a Happy Thanksgiving and may the holiday season be enjoyable for you all.

Bwana
11-24-2016, 09:09 AM
I Hope it's a great one for everyone.

My brother and his family are here for Thanksgiving for the first time in 7 years so I'm excited about that. My wife and kids are all going over to my folks house to join them for the big feast this afternoon.

My Mom isn't accustomed to cooking for 11 people any more, so one turkey wasn't going to cut it. I took the liberty of running down a 20 pound bonus smoked ham which is cooking as I type. Along with the monster hog part, I cooked up a deep dish apple pie last night with apples from my trees and my wife made a big batch of her famous German potato salad. I don't think anyone is going to starve to death over there today.

Happy Thanksgiving

seclark
11-24-2016, 09:28 AM
drove 18 hours from nemo to kathleen, ga(warner robbins) tuesday. made it to the son and dil. spent yesterday sitting outside in shorts(cargo bitches). drinking beers, cracking pecans and watching the grandaughter shoot baskets.

smoked the turkey last weekend and thawed it yesterday. girls are cutting apples up to stuff it with. pies cooling on the counter and the wife is cutting her noodles at the table. wonderful day, except for their boxer that insists on laying at my feet and farting. i'm getting blamed for it:cuss:

happy and safe thanksgiving!
sec

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 09:42 AM
It's just me and the wife today. But Monday is her birthday and Thanksgiving is her favorite food holiday. So at her request, she asked that we go all out for turkey day dinner. So there's going to be an obscene amount of food here for two people.

Mosbonian
11-24-2016, 09:45 AM
...wonderful day, except for their boxer that insists on laying at my feet and farting. i'm getting blamed for it:cuss:

happy and safe thanksgiving!
sec

There you go.....always blaming it on the dog. :)

Oh...and Happy Thanksgiving!

BigRedChief
11-24-2016, 09:46 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/1053SS">@1053SS</a> <br>Shan help spread thoughts and prayers <a href="https://t.co/ZmUrcXxuze">pic.twitter.com/ZmUrcXxuze</a></p>&mdash; Texas Honkey (@texhonkey) <a href="https://twitter.com/texhonkey/status/801809859905802240">November 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mosbonian
11-24-2016, 09:48 AM
I Hope it's a great one for everyone.

My brother and his family are here for Thanksgiving for the first time in 7 years so I'm excited about that. My wife and kids are all going over to my folks house to join them for the big feast this afternoon.

My Mom isn't accustomed to cooking for 11 people any more, so one turkey wasn't going to cut it. I took the liberty of running down a 20 pound bonus smoked ham which is cooking as I type. Along with the monster hog part, I cooked up a deep dish apple pie last night with apples from my trees and my wife made a big batch of her famous German potato salad. I don't think anyone is going to starve to death over there today.

Happy Thanksgiving

Enjoy the time with family!!

Man.....apple pie, another staple of Thanksgiving, along with Pumpkin Pie and Banana pudding.

Happy Thanksgiving Bwana!

Sandy Vagina
11-24-2016, 09:50 AM
It's just me and the wife today. But Monday is her birthday and Thanksgiving is her favorite food holiday. So at her request, she asked that we go all out for turkey day dinner. So there's going to be an obscene amount of food here for two people.

Yeah, similar. Just me, my gal, and dogs. Happily going to be the usual, quiet day. Football on the TV occasionally watched, good Turkey-day eating, and probably some lazy sex involved.

Enjoy yours, everyone. :)

http://star98radio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Forrest-Gump-Wave-on-Boat.gif

Bwana
11-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Enjoy the time with family!!

Man.....apple pie, another staple of Thanksgiving, along with Pumpkin Pie and Banana pudding.

Happy Thanksgiving Bwana!

Likewise, enjoy. :thumb:

GloryDayz
11-24-2016, 09:51 AM

I took the smoker out last weekend to a scout campout and smoked two turkeys and two breasts. I bagged a couple of the breasts and a leg (younger son like the legs!!!), so it's an easy day...

I was stunned at the number of scouts who had never had smoked turkey! One ended up making a turkey-skin sammich, and THAT was a first! One of the other leaders 'stole' all the dark meat! The worst part was dinner was at 5:00, and I had to coach my son's hockey team at 6:00, so just as they were ready we were leaving. But upon our return, wow, just wow...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/b71432d6f2085b1698e4f40ca477a2ec.jpg

Bwana
11-24-2016, 10:15 AM
I took the smoker out last weekend to a scout campout and smoked two turkeys and two breasts. I bagged a couple of the breasts and a leg (younger son like the legs!!!), so it's an easy day...

I was stunned at the number of scouts who had never had smoked turkey! One ended up making a turkey-skin sammich, and THAT was a first! One of the other leaders 'stole' all the dark meat! The worst part was dinner was at 5:00, and I had to coach my son's hockey team at 6:00, so just as they were ready we were leaving. But upon our return, wow, just wow...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/b71432d6f2085b1698e4f40ca477a2ec.jpg

Now that looks tasty!

Easy 6
11-24-2016, 10:18 AM
How about these wonderful floats, and here comes Spongebob!

:ZZZ:

Dallas Chief
11-24-2016, 10:40 AM

28:51. #122 out of 1875. Not too bad.

Really earned those juevos rancheros and homemade biscuit with spicy apple butter that I had post race. Now on to the real food! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

O.city
11-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Happy thanksgiving everyone. We're all very blessed.

The wife and I are back home this weekend, both growing up in the same little town we have 4 different thanksgiving dinners to go to. Seeing as I can't I suit anyone and need to eat everyone's food, I can't decide on sweat pants or a pair of my wife's pregnancy pants.

Getting ready to drop a wild turkey in the fryer for my grandparents dinner. It's actually pretty cool that my 2 little ones are the fifth generation on both sides (my mother's grandmother and my wife's dads grandmother are still alive) so we have big families and are very blessed

O.city
11-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Also, we stayed at my parents last night and mom fired up the family recipe chocolate gravy and biscuits this morning and thick bacon fresh from the hog my grandpa had butchered last week.

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 10:44 AM

The wife and I are back home this weekend, both growing up in the same little town we have 4 different thanksgiving dinners to go to. Seeing as I can't I suit anyone and need to eat everyone's food, I can't decide on sweat pants or a pair of my wife's pregnancy pants.

Getting ready to drop a wild turkey in the fryer for my grandparents dinner. It's actually pretty cool that my 2 little ones are the fifth generation on both sides (my mother's grandmother and my wife's dads grandmother are still alive) so we have big families and are very blessed

Pregnancy pants!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/a711694e1a08ed9e94ad9d029a0b60f6.jpg

seclark
11-24-2016, 10:45 AM

nothing wrong w/that. i could eat leftover turkey and pie every day of the week.
sec

threebag
11-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Happy Thankgiving fellow foodies.

displacedinMN
11-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Who the hell thought running on Tday was a good idea?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I love my kids-we all ran/walked a 5k this morning. The girls loved it. I am ready for a nap. BEFORE TURKEY.

My time does not matter. I had to walk. I did pass 15 people, but over 200 passed me so that is a net of -185.

Ibuprofin is my friend.

Simply Red
11-24-2016, 11:30 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hyB4Vx-TavQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mosbonian
11-24-2016, 11:45 AM

You eat as much as it sounds like and only the pregnancy pants will fit.:)

Congrats on the big time family gathering....it's what getting together at the holiday season is supposed to be.

SAUTO
11-24-2016, 11:59 AM
I had to work Monday and then have the rest of the week off.....first time for me in years. I have worked for companies the last 10 years that have me working Mon-Wed and coming back in on Friday, so Thanksgiving was a bit jilted.

Tuesday my wife, my kids and I drove down to Disney Springs in Orlando to do some shopping and immerse ourselves in the beginning of the Christmas fun. While several on here seem to rue much about the holiday season, this year I am going to enjoy it...revel in it....I am not getting any younger and I am tired of living the "angry and discontented" life so many get because of the holiday rush. This year I am thankful for what I have and realized I truly have all I need.

So today......we are having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner:

Turkey,Mashed Potatoes and gravy (white gravy),Green beans (just normal, no fancy foo-foo crap), Dressing, Corn, Sweet potatoes, Yams, Baked Beans and home made rolls.

The wife is watching the Macy's parade and then after dinner this afternoon I will take my normal post-Turkey nap and then settle in for some football.

For me the Holiday season began on Tuesday and I intend to fully enjoy the revelry for the next 40 days.

To all my long time friends here.....Have a Happy Thanksgiving and may the holiday season be enjoyable for you all.

This is how I'm approaching this holiday season my self.

Hell I've already been buying Christmas presents for weeks. I have never shopped prior to the week before. Lol.

HemiEd
11-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Getting a smoked ham from local BBQ place this year instead of a turkey. Don't care about it being a meat from the wrong holiday because it's going to be damn good.

Sounds great! We have had ham on many a Thanksgiving.

I put the turkey in a styrofoam cooler full of orange juice on Monday and stuck it in the beer fridge.

Went out there this morning at 4 to get it going in the smoker and the styrofoam cooler had leaked all the orange juice out into the bins beneath. :cuss:

So I said screw it and cooked the turkey in the oven, made three pies, green bean casserole, yams, mashed taters, stove top stuffing and the most important part of the meal, giblet gravy.

Nap time:D

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 12:57 PM
The spread. Smoked turkey, cranberry sauce, dressing/stuffing, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and DUCK FAT gravy. Everything from scratch except the fried onions on the green bean casserole.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/3909169a5bfdd6827aec49f10ba71c17.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/a83b2d9227e05f9a0b173b84b13ebf0c.jpg

suzzer99
11-24-2016, 12:59 PM
MST3K Turkey Day Marathon: http://www.shoutfactorytvlive.com/

I'm really hoping they replay this for those of us who have gatherings to attend.

MahiMike
11-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Smoked our 20 lber on the big Green egg using lemons from our tree. Turned out great.

GloryDayz
11-24-2016, 01:34 PM
The spread. Smoked turkey, cranberry sauce, dressing/stuffing, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and DUCK FAT gravy. Everything from scratch except the fried onions on the green bean casserole.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/3909169a5bfdd6827aec49f10ba71c17.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/a83b2d9227e05f9a0b173b84b13ebf0c.jpg

Looks great my man. What's the black container in front of the plate of meat?

And if you don't eat the skin, put it between two pieces of bread and give it to a Boy Scout, they seem to love them! :)

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Looks great my man. What's the black container in front of the plate of meat?

And if you don't eat the skin, put it between two pieces of bread and give it to a Boy Scout, they seem to love them! :)

Oh, just a Thermos of gravy. Keeps it hot and keeps it from thickening.

HemiEd
11-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Wow, would have never thought of that. :clap:

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Wow, would have never thought of that. :clap:

Thanks. It really works great. Keeps it steamy for at least a couple hours. I never make gravy without my Thermos anymore.

GloryDayz
11-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Ah, OK.. I make the gravy last. Great idea actually...

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Ah, OK.. I make the gravy last. Great idea actually...

I do, too, but for seconds and stuff it's nice if the gravy doesn't congeal.

Thanks, though. I bought a nice wide-mouth one just for this!

TimBone
11-24-2016, 03:00 PM
How in the hell did you get your homemade cranberry sauce to look like it came from a can?

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 03:11 PM
How in the hell did you get your homemade cranberry sauce to look like it came from a can?

I molded it in a can! ROFL

Alton Brown's recipe, which he also molds in a tin can. :)

http://altonbrown.com/cranberry-sauce-recipe/

GloryDayz
11-24-2016, 03:11 PM
I do, too, but for seconds and stuff it's nice if the gravy doesn't congeal.

Thanks, though. I bought a nice wide-mouth one just for this!

This setup?

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mb7db1545164a5cd18d62224f895c27a4o0&pid=15.1

Fire Me Boy!
11-24-2016, 03:12 PM
This setup?

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mb7db1545164a5cd18d62224f895c27a4o0&pid=15.1

Just a standard wide-mouth Thermos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JC76XA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HE1nybT7HJXQE

TimBone
11-24-2016, 03:40 PM
I molded it in a can! ROFL

Alton Brown's recipe, which he also molds in a tin can. :)

http://altonbrown.com/cranberry-sauce-recipe/
lol...that's awesome. Nice spread, FMB.

seclark
11-24-2016, 06:55 PM
i've said it before...fmb could fry a dog turd and make it look delicious.
sec

HonestChieffan
11-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Have to say the Brine did amazing and cooking the bird on the BGE produced the best Turkey Ive made or had. Wife did awesome on the dressing again. The roasted Root vegetables and roasted Brussels Sprouts were superb. I kicked ass on the gravy, and we combined forces on scratch made old fashioned southern Banana Pudding.

Time to be thankful for blessings. 2 years ago today I brought wife home from hospital for a 6 week wait to get her heart valve replaced. That went fantastic. We remember ones we loved who have passed. I never have a holiday without memories growing up and awesome holidays with a fantastic family...grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers. And certainly the memories of friends passed that we miss but have awesome memories of good times.

May you have a fantastic and wonderful Holiday season and feel the joy of Christmas and what that holiday means for us.

Easy 6
11-24-2016, 07:22 PM
I hope all of you had a wonderful day, I sure did

Mom and I spent it at my sons place 2 hours away, with his two roomies and their parents and sisters, everything they brought was delicious

A monstrous smoked turkey, cajun soup, and all of the classics like stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cornbread, rolls, mashed potatoes, potato salad, seven layer salad, shrimp cocktail, mini weinies in bbq, blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, chicken and noodles

I'm STUFFED and it feels so right

Fire Me Boy!
11-25-2016, 02:52 PM
OK, folks. It's leftover time. Whaddya got?

I'm doing a spin on French dip. Turkey, stacked with cranberry sauce and a little stuffing, topped with some provolone, and served with a thinned gravy au jus.

Rausch
11-25-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm doing a spin on French dip.

https://media.giphy.com/media/usUm1EU5N5CBG/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
11-25-2016, 03:02 PM

It's gonna be glorious.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Fire Me Boy!
11-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Suck it, this thing is good!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/b66f4a2e30c5d41275d1747ab293b2a6.jpg

cdcox
11-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Bourbon goes really well with pumpkin pie.

Fire Me Boy!
11-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Try mixing some in with whipped cream with some maple syrup.

HonestChieffan
11-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Michters Rye pairs well.

cdcox
11-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Michters Rye pairs well.

I have bottles of Willett and Woodford rye on hand. I may try the Woodford; the Willett would overpower the pie.

ptlyon
11-26-2016, 10:15 AM
And for lunch today the best part of Thanksgiving, the leftover turkey sandwiches! :thumb: