PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Unreal Estate Game: South Dakota

Rain Man
11-21-2016, 09:11 PM
You know the rules by now. Today's state is South Dakota.

Dakota Dunes - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1008-Pebble-Beach-Dr_Dakota-Dunes_SD_57049_M77506-12972

Mitchell - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/41225-Race-View-Dr_Mitchell_SD_57301_M84460-79742

Pierre - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/339-N-Euclid-Ave_Pierre_SD_57501_M71528-28031

Rapid City - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7999-Erickson-Ranch-Rd_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M74799-01947

Sioux Falls - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/705-W-Ralph-Rogers-Rd_Sioux-Falls_SD_57108_M73141-36185

Bwana
11-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Dakota Dunes was tempting because of the lake, but I had to go with Rapid on this one. It's near the back hills/Deadwood, it has the barn and corral and the house is nice.

Rain Man
11-21-2016, 09:31 PM
My rankings:

Mitchell - Terrible curb appeal, but the great room is very nice. It's not walkable, but it's bikeable to get to services. I could live there. It edges out Pierre barely, purely due to square footage.

Pierre - It must be mislabeled, because you can't have a 13 br house in 2,300 square feet. I'm assuming it should be three br. Either way, I like this house a lot. There's not a lot of stuff in Pierre, but it's convenient to that stuff. It's pretty much a coin flip between this house and Mitchell.

Sioux Falls - Nice interior spaces (I like the bar), and it's a good sized house in a nice setting. My only major downgrade is that it's not located near anything so you'd have to drive everywhere.

Rapid City - I like the exterior, but it's clear that they used really cheap fixtures and doors and stuff. It's a shame because the setting is very nice.

Dakota Dunes - It's a nice house, and outside is interesting even if a bit chunky. However, the dimensions of the rooms seem a little odd, and I wonder if you get windows broken by the golf course nearby. It's not located near any services, though it's cool that it's within 500 feet of being the southernmost home in South Dakota.

eDave
11-21-2016, 09:32 PM
SD? $50K please.

Rain Man
11-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Dakota Dunes was tempting because of the lake, but I had to go with Rapid on this one. It's near the back hills/Deadwood, it has the barn and corral and the house is nice.

It would indeed be nice to have a 20-acre refuge like that. I had to go with Mitchell, but looking at the Rapid house, it's actually surprisingly well located.

rockymtnchief
11-21-2016, 10:31 PM
I lived in Rapid City for four years. I'd have no problem going back.

The Franchise
11-21-2016, 10:56 PM
I've driven by that house in Pierre over a thousand times. LMAO

Gadzooks
11-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I picked Pierre. It has a very convenient location for my family, (of whom, only I have a drivers license), plus - with the 13 bedrooms, there'd be plenty of room for storage.

Buehler445
11-21-2016, 11:59 PM
Whatever part of SD I don't have to pick rocks. I got enough shit to worry about without moving to an area I gotta pick rocks before I can do my job. Funk dat.

Bwana
11-22-2016, 12:04 AM
It would indeed be nice to have a 20-acre refuge like that. I had to go with Mitchell, but looking at the Rapid house, it's actually surprisingly well located.

Yeah I have to have some kind of mountains near me even if they are dinkers like the Black Hills. With that being said, when you do ND, just send the 50K my way. :D

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2016, 12:11 AM
Homes are $1 million in SD?

ClevelandBronco
11-22-2016, 12:18 AM
There are entire sections of some of these houses I'd never even visit.

Nightfyre
11-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Far be it for me to criticize a Rain man poll, but personally I feel this poll lacks the primary options that would appeal to people who would want to live in this region. Where are the farms and ranches Rain man?!

Dartgod
11-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Yeah I have to have some kind of mountains near me even if they are dinkers like the Black Hills. With that being said, when you do ND, just send the 50K my way. :D

Holy shit, ain't that the truth.

rockymtnchief
11-22-2016, 08:06 AM

This.

I lived in eastern Colorado for a while. I can't be a flatlander!

lawrenceRaider
11-22-2016, 09:03 AM
It's between Mitchell and Sioux Falls for me. Like the house in Sioux Falls the best, but the views on Mitchell are pretty fantastic. I'm going to have to go with Sioux Falls.

WhawhaWhat
11-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Homes are $1 million in SD?

I'd rather pay $1 million to live on 20 acres then to live surrounded by a bunch of idiots.

Rapid City all day.

OmahaChief
11-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Mitchell for me. I have actually been in that home several times and the pictures don't really do it justice. Family that lives there has really taken care of it and the neighbors are pretty cool too. My inlaws live in Mitchell and overall for a smaller town it is pretty nice.

The Franchise
11-22-2016, 09:52 AM
I chose Mitchell.....even though having to live in the same city as The Corn Palace knocks a little of the value off.

Rain Man
11-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Far be it for me to criticize a Rain man poll, but personally I feel this poll lacks the primary options that would appeal to people who would want to live in this region. Where are the farms and ranches Rain man?!

I'm wondering if ranches tend to fall above or below my price range, because I look for a variety but don't often find true rural places (or if I do, it's just land and a shack or something). Of course, when you think about sheer volume, there are going to be a lot more city houses for sale than farms and ranches as well.

Rain Man
11-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Mitchell for me. I have actually been in that home several times and the pictures don't really do it justice. Family that lives there has really taken care of it and the neighbors are pretty cool too. My inlaws live in Mitchell and overall for a smaller town it is pretty nice.

Now that's quite the coincidence.

ptlyon
11-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Nobody wants to come live here and visit me :sulk:

Rain Man
11-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Nobody wants to come live here and visit me :sulk:

I bet they're just intimidated. Are you a Dakota Dunesian? Or do you have a chance at redemption when I get to Iowa?

mlyonsd
11-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Guys, guys, slow down. We can't handle the influx with all the interest so far put forth in the thread. ROFL

mlyonsd
11-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Whatever part of SD I don't have to pick rocks. I got enough shit to worry about without moving to an area I gotta pick rocks before I can do my job. Funk dat.
When I'm out in the spring and a new one has popped up I just pretend I snuck it across the boarder and stole something from Canada.

ptlyon
11-23-2016, 03:37 PM
I bet they're just intimidated. Are you a Dakota Dunesian? Or do you have a chance at redemption when I get to Iowa?

No, live in SUX. Too rich for my blood over there. And they've got a bunch of stupid rules. Have to keep your garage door closed, etc.

COchief
11-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I have to admit, the selections in a lot of these threads are extremely conflicting, I've never been disappointed in Rainman before but good lord I have lived in a lot of these cities and the Rapid City selections along with quite a few others have been an absolute shit show. The entire CO thread especially Fort Collins licked dick, Florida was an absolute nightmare, I'm just astounded at the picks and their general tackiness (how much siding have we seen for $1mm so far?).

All of the four below places blow the Rapid City shit show out of the water, I mean Jesus it's in the god damn Black Hills and you picked some new construction cheap piece of shit on a prairie? This mirrors the Fort Collins pick IMO.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5905-Magic-Canyon-Rd_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M75824-17864#photo0 I'm sure you could get $50k off a million, Jeez how about a mountain retreat with a pool and shit instead of a vinyl siding craptastic plywood hunk of crap?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/13785-Ember-Rd_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M84728-33511?ex=SD610478063#photo22 Hello mountain character good bye prairie poop house

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2020-Pendar-Ln_Rapid-City_SD_57701_M73249-06196#photo32

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/23809-Placer-Pl_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M79952-36034?ex=SD610009923#photo7

COchief
11-23-2016, 07:36 PM
No, live in SUX. Too rich for my blood over there. And they've got a bunch of stupid rules. Have to keep your garage door closed, etc.

Sewer city has that cool historic area on a hill, otherwise real hit and miss. Agreed on Dunes sucking, that area has zero soul.

lewdog
11-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Rapid City is a nice town. I could live there.

Rain Man
11-23-2016, 07:51 PM
I have to admit, the selections in a lot of these threads are extremely conflicting, I've never been disappointed in Rainman before but good lord I have lived in a lot of these cities and the Rapid City selections along with quite a few others have been an absolute shit show. The entire CO thread especially Fort Collins licked dick, Florida was an absolute nightmare, I'm just astounded at the picks and their general tackiness (how much siding have we seen for $1mm so far?).

All of the four below places blow the Rapid City shit show out of the water, I mean Jesus it's in the god damn Black Hills and you picked some new construction cheap piece of shit on a prairie? This mirrors the Fort Collins pick IMO.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5905-Magic-Canyon-Rd_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M75824-17864#photo0 I'm sure you could get $50k off a million, Jeez how about a mountain retreat with a pool and shit instead of a vinyl siding craptastic plywood hunk of crap?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/13785-Ember-Rd_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M84728-33511?ex=SD610478063#photo22 Hello mountain character good bye prairie poop house

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2020-Pendar-Ln_Rapid-City_SD_57701_M73249-06196#photo32

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/23809-Placer-Pl_Rapid-City_SD_57702_M79952-36034?ex=SD610009923#photo7

But you can't do that! You can't do that! To be consistent, my rule is that the houses have to be between $900,000 and $999,999 in price. That gives us apples to apples comparisons.

My mistake in this, though, is that very price range. At that range, you do tend to get a lot of places that are just big houses. I either should have gone higher ($3 to $5 million) or lower (maybe $500,000), to get either more bling or more choice. I don't think I could really go higher, though, because in a lot of places that range would just mean more land. So you're stuck with my $900,000 to $999,999 price range.

COchief
11-23-2016, 08:01 PM
But you can't do that! You can't do that! To be consistent, my rule is that the houses have to be between $900,000 and $999,999 in price. That gives us apples to apples comparisons.

My mistake in this, though, is that very price range. At that range, you do tend to get a lot of places that are just big houses. I either should have gone higher ($3 to $5 million) or lower (maybe $500,000), to get either more bling or more choice. I don't think I could really go higher, though, because in a lot of places that range would just mean more land. So you're stuck with my $900,000 to $999,999 price range.

Yeah, I sort of figured that and almost threw a sidenote in there about the range making it tricky in areas that simply don't have that budget. Still though, for a guy posting from a Denver square I've seen some real crappers :). Fort Collins blew, and FL was just a mish mash of weirdness but I have fairly intimate knowledge of several areas there. I also tend to think "personal paradise with pool" in FL and of course any mountainous area needs a particular house and appropriate surrounding land. You seem to have strange choices when you go urban vs burbs for particular cities but again may just be the budget along with a differing viewpoint per city.

However Fort Collins was donkey balls, I will not bend on that one lakefront or not. :)

ptlyon
11-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Sewer city has that cool historic area on a hill, otherwise real hit and miss. Agreed on Dunes sucking, that area has zero soul.

How do you know 🤔 I am interested. If you're talking on a hill, you must mean some of the old houses. "Historic" is mainly 4th street downtown.

All that said, it is my hometown and really don't want to live anywhere else. It is where my family and friends are. I've been lucky to do what I like here for an occupation.

Yes, we suck, but we like our special kind of suck.

Or like I like to say, yeah, it's a shithole, but it's our shithole.

lewdog
11-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Rainman, you can also just skip North Dakota.

No sane person would live there.

Thanks for your consideration.

ptlyon
11-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Rainman, you can also just skip North Dakota.

No sane person would live there.

Thanks for your consideration.

Not anymore that the oil jobs have dried up. Thanks Obama!

COchief
11-24-2016, 07:49 AM
How do you know 🤔 I am interested. If you're talking on a hill, you must mean some of the old houses. "Historic" is mainly 4th street downtown.

All that said, it is my hometown and really don't want to live anywhere else. It is where my family and friends are. I've been lucky to do what I like here for an occupation.

Yes, we suck, but we like our special kind of suck.

Or like I like to say, yeah, it's a shithole, but it's our shithole.

My brother worked and lived there while finishing up school like a decade ago, I had a weekend there visiting where I came away pretty impressed. I happened to hit it off with one of his coworkers and crashed at her place and walked back in the morning, they both had cool old character type places and were a few blocks away. Admittedly a tiny sample size in area and time, but I was fairly blown away by that little hood on the hill.

ptlyon
11-24-2016, 09:52 AM
My brother worked and lived there while finishing up school like a decade ago, I had a weekend there visiting where I came away pretty impressed. I happened to hit it off with one of his coworkers and crashed at her place and walked back in the morning, they both had cool old character type places and were a few blocks away. Admittedly a tiny sample size in area and time, but I was fairly blown away by that little hood on the hill.

Cool man, which school? Assuming Morningside college.

Yes, I like it here.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Taxes on Rapid House are insane

TinyEvel
11-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Nope. I'm taking the 50K and staying where I live.

My next place will be the "empty nester" home so all of these would be expensive cavernous homes with nobody in them except for twice a year. unless I become a rancher, which is appealing but nope.

BTW that 1905 Pierre home the must have screwed up the SF. 13 bedrooms and 2290 square feet?