PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Unreal Estate Game: South Carolina

Rain Man
11-24-2016, 07:07 PM
I have to say, this may be the most interesting state so far. There were a ton of really interesting candidates in South Carolina.

Beaufort - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/13-Treadlands_Beaufort_SC_29906_M59302-78288?ex=SC621343562

Charleston - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/17-Chalmers-St_Charleston_SC_29401_M57448-81079

Hilton Head - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3-Cassina-Ln_Hilton-Head-Island_SC_29928_M54366-52391

North Myrtle Beach - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3604-Tabby-Ln_North-Myrtle-Beach_SC_29582_M69202-13075

Traveler's Rest - http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/117-Valley-Lake-Trl_Travelers-Rest_SC_29690_M52676-56416?ex=SC620413406

Rain Man
11-24-2016, 07:37 PM
My rankings of this fascinating state:

Beaufort - This house is AMERICA! It looks like the type of house where William Jennings Bryan would have made a speech against the gold standard. Or for it. I don't remember. It even comes with the bunting, I bet. At first I thought the location wasn't very good because it's out of town, but the housing development HAS ITS OWN TOWN CENTER! How cool is that? I like this place a lot.

Charleston - It's the OLDEST HOUSE IN CHARLESTON! How cool is that? It was built nearly a century before America was created. How cool is that? I question their claim that it's the second-oldest masonry residence in America, given that I just crawled around in Mesa Verde not long ago. I think maybe there's some racism there. But anyway, it's in a great neighborhood with all sorts of stuff nearby. My only worries are that it's really small at about 1,000 square feet, and as a modern six-footer I wonder how often I'd bump my head.

North Myrtle Beach - Okay, do me a favor. Go to the google satellite view and tell me what the massive black things are on the street heading to this house. I have no idea what those things are. The house is very nice, and there's a trail through the woods where you can conveniently walk to local businesses and stuff. I like that. It's got great views from the back - how cool is that? But I find it odd that it's pretty much next door to a mobile home park. Is this a charming mobile home park full of harmless retirees? Is it a working blue collar mobile home park where you'll see lots of young mothers in daisy duke shorts? Or is it a meth industrial complex? Because whoever lives there is probably going to be hanging out on your trail to town. Combine that risk with what may or may not be active tar pits, and this place is risky.

Traveler's Rest - The house is really cool. Definitely cool, and with fantastic curb appeal. However, it's in the middle of nowhere. If you like doing those Eyes Wide Shut parties, this is the place, but I don't see doing that often enough to warrant it.

Hilton Head - It's a nice house with beach access, but it's in a brutal heat here. If it was closer to restaurants I'd rate it higher, but ... it's not.

Buck
11-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Beaufort - This house is AMERICA! It looks like the type of house where William Jennings Bryan would have made a speech against the gold standard. Or for it. I don't remember. It even comes with the bunting, I bet. At first I thought the location wasn't very good because it's out of town, but the housing development HAS ITS OWN TOWN CENTER! How cool is that? I like this place a lot.

Charleston - It's the OLDEST HOUSE IN CHARLESTON! How cool is that? It was built nearly a century before America was created. How cool is that? I question their claim that it's the second-oldest masonry residence in America, given that I just crawled around in Mesa Verde not long ago. I think maybe there's some racism there. But anyway, it's in a great neighborhood with all sorts of stuff nearby. My only worries are that it's really small at about 1,000 square feet, and as a modern six-footer I wonder how often I'd bump my head.

North Myrtle Beach - Okay, do me a favor. Go to the google satellite view and tell me what the massive black things are on the street heading to this house. I have no idea what those things are. The house is very nice, and there's a trail through the woods where you can conveniently walk to local businesses and stuff. I like that. It's got great views from the back - how cool is that? But I find it odd that it's pretty much next door to a mobile home park. Is this a charming mobile home park full of harmless retirees? Is it a working blue collar mobile home park where you'll see lots of young mothers in daisy duke shorts? Or is it a meth industrial complex? Because whoever lives there is probably going to be hanging out on your trail to town. Combine that risk with what may or may not be active tar pits, and this place is risky.

Traveler's Rest - The house is really cool. Definitely cool, and with fantastic curb appeal. However, it's in the middle of nowhere. If you like doing those Eyes Wide Shut parties, this is the place, but I don't see doing that often enough to warrant it.

Hilton Head - It's a nice house with beach access, but it's in a brutal heat here. If it was closer to restaurants I'd rate it higher, but ... it's not.

The things in North Myrtle Beach are ponds. They're all over the place here.

Also that North Myrtle Beach place is right by a Trailer Park. North Myrtle Beach doesn't exactly have the best reputation.

I would choose the Charleston house just because it's in Charleston.

Rain Man
11-24-2016, 09:37 PM
The things in North Myrtle Beach are ponds. They're all over the place here.

Also that North Myrtle Beach place is right by a Trailer Park. North Myrtle Beach doesn't exactly have the best reputation.

I would choose the Charleston house just because it's in Charleston.

I guess it makes sense that those would be ponds. That's probably better than tar pits.

Mosbonian
11-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Beaufort without any hesitation.....there is so much more than even just what you see there.

Here's your problem with the house in Charleston which is on Rainbow Row...while nice, the parking is limited, you constantly have traffic, (auto, foot and horse drawn) and you are right off the Battery. The high tides back up thru the drains onto the street and if you get a torrential downpour expect water in the street. I love Charleston to visit/vacation but would not want to live there full time. (Plus as old as this house is you probably will have a few ghosts :) )

N. Myrtle Beach.....no, no a thousand times no. MB has become way too commercialized. And now it's starting to find it's way into the areas that used to be less traveled and peaceful. And the other thing.....half the businesses in town close after Labor Day. Like Charleston, a great place to visit/vacation or have a rental property for golfers but not for me to live.

Traveler's Rest is actually a pretty decent place and you can see the edges of the Smokies from there. I wouldn't mind the house and it would be my #2 choice save for the winter weather there. Where they are located it's one of those places where you don't know if you are getting an ice storm or a snow storm.

Hilton Head....not sure where you got the brutal heat from. It's actually worse in places like August GA or Columbia SC than it is in Hilton Head. It's actually a nice place, but the hangup there for me is the beige/bland exteriors to everything. No loud colors are allowed and getting something approved there to build/modernize can be a pain from what I hear.

ThaVirus
11-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Myrtle Beach, please.

Hilarious to see what $1m gets you in Charleston.

Rain Man
11-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Hilton Head....not sure where you got the brutal heat from. It's actually worse in places like August GA or Columbia SC than it is in Hilton Head. It's actually a nice place, but the hangup there for me is the beige/bland exteriors to everything. No loud colors are allowed and getting something approved there to build/modernize can be a pain from what I hear.

Oh. My 'brutal heat' comment was referring to the competition in this round of the tournament, not the temperature.

But yeah, I was a little disappointed in the Hilton Head options.

Bwana
11-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Traveler's Rest

Mosbonian
11-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Traveler's Rest

I can see where a place like that would be your first choice....it can be much like Montana in the winter although the Smokies are a bit smaller than the mountains you are used to.

And you would be close to Greenville/Spartanburg area and I-85 which could take you north 2 hours to Charlotte and 3 hours south to Atlanta.

BlackHelicopters
11-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Beaufort