PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is it Reid or Smith?

FlintHillsChiefs
11-27-2016, 11:58 PM
I'm sure you all have noticed that Alex seems to perform a lot better when the shackles come off. I've been disappointed with his performance this year, but he has been absolutely clutch in two or three games this year when the Chiefs needed to score. (San Diego and Denver).

The question is, how much of Alex's medicore numbers are his fault as opposed to Reid's questionable play calling?

If I see another bubble screen this year I might slit my wrists and do push ups in salt water.

petegz28
11-27-2016, 11:58 PM
I'd say 70% Reid, 30% Smith...

Rausch
11-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Whatever it is they suddenly find a way to work it out in the 4th quarter and when we're behind.

I'm not sure why it takes 3 and a half quarters for their balls to drop...

Buns
11-27-2016, 11:59 PM
He seemed to just score that TD at will last week vs TB, like he was summoned by a wizard.

NJChiefsFan
11-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Both. It's not the shackles coming off. It's him having no choice but to chuck the ball. He is no longer afraid of making a mistake because it's either aggressive or we lose. That mentality comes from both of them.

EPodolak
11-28-2016, 12:02 AM
Good question. I'd be for a controlled experiment involving cages and double blind conditions to get to it's answer.

EdmontonChiefsFan
11-28-2016, 12:03 AM

^^^^^this. maybe even 80% Reid, 20 % Alex

It is clear Reid has to give up the playcalling

Pushead2
11-28-2016, 12:03 AM
I think it's Reid. Smith looks better when he's in the 2min offense.

Chiefspants
11-28-2016, 12:04 AM
They can bring out the worst in each other. Alex takes Andy's first read about 95% of the time. With a more daring coach, Alex would take more risks, while I believe other QB's would be more willing to go through Andy's progressions.

petegz28
11-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Last year our offense opened up around this time when the decided to let Smith have more latitude at the line. They need to let him either make his $ or hang himself. The dude is a long time veteran and knows this system. No excuse for Reid to handcuff him. Let him succeed or fail of his own doings.

Psyko Tek
11-28-2016, 12:07 AM
I think it's Andy
once you get Alex a no huddle things seen to move

NJChiefsFan
11-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Alex Smith was running out of clean pockets all night. This isn't just play calling.

Ragged Robin
11-28-2016, 12:08 AM
They can bring out the worst in each other. Alex takes Andy's first read about 95% of the time. With a more daring coach, Alex would take more risks, while I believe other QB's would be more willing to go through Andy's progressions.

Smith plays down to the conservative calls so it's amplified when that's the gameplan. A more aggressive gameplan would balance it out (or, conversely, a more aggressive QB). There's never one answer though, when the gameplan is to throw it and be more aggressive and it's not working for whatever reason, Reid has a hard time making adjustments. The one thing that seems constant is Smith running no huddle gets the offense back in gear when they're out of whack. They should let him do that for a series or two when the offense is stalling out there before going back to the gameplan.

Also have no idea why he doesn't run it anymore..

Sannyasi
11-28-2016, 12:11 AM
I think its mostly Alex. For the record though I do think Reid should give up playcalling duties because I think being the HC is hard enough. But Alex naturally protects the fuck out of the ball and plays super conservatively until he has no other choice but to force the ball down the field, at which point you start to see him actually play a little better.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Reid admitted during the post game conference that they changed it up a little bit when they were behind in the 4th quarter.

Exactly when Alex Smith stopped completely sucking.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2016, 12:31 AM

I can accept this.

I would even accept 50-50

Reid and Smith definitely make each other worse.

Rausch
11-28-2016, 12:32 AM
I think its mostly Alex. For the record though I do think Reid should give up playcalling duties...

This can't be said enough...