PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Let's play the DL game.

Direckshun
11-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Including those we've lost to injury, here is the entirety of the DL on this roster:

Dontari Poe
Allen Bailey
Jaye Howard
Chris Jones
Rakeem Nunez-Roches
Kendall Reyes
Jarvis Jenkins
David King
T.J. Barnes -- holy shit, this guy is 6'7", 364 lbs

So, Poe is up for contract. Reyes and Jenkins are also free agents.

You probably want Chris Jones starting in 2017. And you probably want RNR to get major playing time, if not starting as well.

You want to go about 6 deep, as we typically do. Who do you keep, and what do you do with the guys you don't.

Direckshun
11-28-2016, 04:03 PM
I think we re-sign Poe. His back should make himself affordable.

I trade Bailey, ideally for a 3rd.

I bring Reyes back, and help King strengthen up this offseason.

DE: Howard, Nunez-Roches
NT: Poe, Reyes
DE: Jones, King

ThaVirus
We'll have to explore the option of letting Poe walk and cutting/trading Bailey although that would wreck our depth.

pugsnotdrugs19
Keep them all except Poe if his price is too outrageous. Berry > Poe long term. His back scares me.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Any D-Lineman is going to play better than they would normally with Houston, Ford, and Hali on the edges. Opens up a lot of opportunity inside.

Which makes the prospects of having Poe and Jones out there with those guys very exciting.

Coochie liquor
11-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Any D-Lineman is going to play better than they would normally with Houston, Ford, and Hali on the edges. Opens up a lot of opportunity inside.

Which makes the prospects of having Poe and Jones out there with those guys very exciting.

Yeah, I'm hoping we get to see them all on the field at the same time at some point this season!

NJChiefsFan
11-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Hyphen99 is really growing on me. His value grows by the game.

Dunerdr
11-28-2016, 04:25 PM
let poeseph walk, keep bailey, howard, da roach, jones, reyes, and draft a NT who can offer help over the top for gaines.

Chiefspants
11-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Herniated discs are not your typical injury. Spinal injuries of that fashion often bring chronic pain. Depending on what type of herniated disc it is, it can be two vertrebrae grinding against a nerve. However, due to the sheer amount of nerves in the back, it's often difficult to isolate the pain and surgeries are complex and often lead to more problems.

At Poe's size and the brutality of his position, that's a problem that's only going to worsen. We may be wise to let him walk and focus our efforts elsewhere.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Trade Bailey or Howard to free up cap and receive a 3rd round pick, then sign Jamie Collins if his head is on straight

RunKC
11-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Poe is the 4th most important player on the defense behind Houston, Ford and Peters. Finding guys like him is extremely rare bc he does so much. Without him, it's hard to keep LB's clean while taking up double teams and actually getting a pass rush.

Howard is the only player on the roster right now capable of playing NT effectively and he's under contract just 1 more year. None of the other guys is big enough or strong enough to do what Poe does consistently (Jones would need to bulk up).
At this point I think that this is our best lineup:

DE-Howard, Reyes, Bailey
NT-Poe, Howard
DE-Jones, Roches

Most people don't appreciate Poe and how important he is. We looked fine last night bc Denver has a pussy OL, but look back to the SD game when we were getting gashed. Chargers have a massive OL like us and Poe helps take up blocks and block the middle.

You have to pay the man unless his back completely gives out.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2016, 05:40 PM
To hell with the Chargers - look at the Raiders.

That OL is full of road graders. Take Poe out of the middle and you're losing the beef battle pretty significantly. For all the ways that Carr/Cooper/Crabtree can hurt you, the Raiders could do a shitload of damage by just ramming it down your throat if they committed to it, especially with Murray (who I think is underrated as a pure power back).

If you're team-building, you have to focus on your primary competition. To me that's Oakland for the next 3 years at least. Losing that kind of mass/athleticism in the middle would hurt badly.

Then again, the Chiefs know more about Poe's back than anyone does. If they let him walk, I think that says a lot about his long-term prospects. Ultimately this is one where I'm inclined to defer to the front-office.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Keep them all except Poe if his price is too outrageous. Berry > Poe long term. His back scares me.
I'm not sure either has too much long term security when it comes to a high dollar contract.

Berry turns 28 in December and you just can't ignore the high recurrence rate of cancer. The 30 year old brick wall for NFL players may not be what it used to be but it's still there.

Poe is 26yrs old but is a 346lbs Dlineman with back issues.

Both look to be trying to break the bank and i'm not sure we can afford to do so for either. Poe's age/position certainly looks to the part for that much money but back issues just can't be ignored for his weight and position. Berry is still a utility secondary player who just doesn't normally go for a 12 million dollar per year price tag.

Tough decision

Go Royals
11-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Cut Smiff Colquitt and Charles and you free up enough cap space to keep all these guys and Berry

Pitt Gorilla
11-28-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure either has too much long term security when it comes to a high dollar contract.

Berry turns 28 in December and you just can't ignore the high recurrence rate of cancer. The 30 year old brick wall for NFL players may not be what it used to be but it's still there.

Poe is 26yrs old but is a 346lbs Dlineman with back issues.

Both look to be trying to break the bank and i'm not sure we can afford to do so for either. Poe's age/position certainly looks to the part for that much money but back issues just can't be ignored for his weight and position. Berry is still a utility secondary player who just doesn't normally go for a 12 million dollar per year price tag.

Tough decisionPoe's back scares me, but he's far more important than Berry. I can't see committing high salary to an aging safety.

CupidStunt
11-28-2016, 09:06 PM
What kind of fantasy dildo world do you live in where Allen fucking Bailey fetches a 3rd round pick.

My God this place is beyond dumb.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2016, 09:12 PM
What kind of fantasy dildo world do you live in where Allen fucking Bailey fetches a 3rd round pick.

My God this place is beyond dumb.

It's Voyager, man.

Tyson Jackson is worth three 2's.

CoMoChief
11-28-2016, 09:16 PM
I think we re-sign Poe. His back should make himself affordable.

I trade Bailey, ideally for a 3rd.

I bring Reyes back, and help King strengthen up this offseason.

DE: Howard, Nunez-Roches
NT: Poe, Reyes
DE: Jones, King

for a 3rd rd pick? Shit man this isn't Madden

5th rd (performance based) at best. But I'd get what you can for him, because I don't think he should be a Chief next season.

Chiefs=Champions
11-28-2016, 09:55 PM
If you are so concerned about Poe, then surely there is a way in which you can sign him to a contract that enables us to cut him after a year or so. Not knowledgeable about cap in any way... Poe is far more important then people realize. He gets doubled on basically every snap. Keep him around with healthy houston and ford, not to mention Jones and the rest of the inside guys, and you have a championship defense. Keep him at almost any cost

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Poe will walk due to his contract demands and what he'll make on the market. We can replace him. I want to pay Berry over Poe now.

Tribal Warfare
11-28-2016, 10:24 PM

On the flipside There's the cancer issue with Berry shit could pop back anytime for all we know.

RunKC
11-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Poe will walk due to his contract demands and what he'll make on the market. We can replace him. I want to pay Berry over Poe now.

Dontari Poe's are very hard to find dude. I want us to try like hell to keep both.

MotherfuckerJones
11-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Dontari Poe's are very hard to find dude. I want us to try like hell to keep both.

I think his back may be a scary issue going forward. We'll see how that plays out. Definitely won't keep both IMO. If I had to chose, I'll keep Berry at this point. I've flip flopped on this the whole off-season and season. I'm siding with Berry now. Just value his play in the secondary and leadership and keeping players in check i.e. Peters.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-28-2016, 11:09 PM
It's so nice to be able to get pressure with 4 players

This play I believe Houston was lined up with the left guard and Hali with the right tackle, Hali moved in for the stunt and the left tackle didn't switch over to block Houston . No chance for Semen...

https://s18.postimg.org/b294caox5/Pressurewith4.png

Psyko Tek
11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Cut Smiff Colquitt and Charles and you free up enough cap space to keep all these guys and Berry

i understand why on smth and charles, but Colquitt?
WTF
did you se how Denvers non colquitt did
always have a colquitt punting

Aspengc8
11-29-2016, 07:38 AM
It's so nice to be able to get pressure with 4 players

This play I believe Houston was lined up with the left guard and Hali with the right tackle, Hali moved in for the stunt and the left tackle didn't switch over to block Houston . No chance for Semen...

https://s18.postimg.org/b294caox5/Pressurewith4.png

Hali and Houston both beasted sunday night. Was great watching them together again (minus all the missed holding calls).

Aspengc8
11-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Poe is the 4th most important player on the defense behind Houston, Ford and Peters. Finding guys like him is extremely rare bc he does so much. Without him, it's hard to keep LB's clean while taking up double teams and actually getting a pass rush.

I'm going to have to disagree with ya bud. Sutton runs much more of a 1 gap scheme, much more under/over alignments. If linemen don't draw a double team they still have gap assignments to stop the run, but because of alignment they usually end up with a double at first. Houston and DJ might be one of, if not the best SAM & MIKE combo in the NFL. Ford and Hali are interchangeable, I still give the edge to Hali because of his run support and ability to offer an insane bull-rush to collapse the pocked when needed. In this type of system, any penetrating type of lineman can play where Poe is, and his strength as not been the same since the surgery IMO. He was drafted and played 2-gap with Crennel's scheme. He beasted in both systems up until his surgery.

Mecca
11-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Allen Bailey isn't getting traded that would hurt the cap and he's still a solid player. Everyone needs to get over that one, it isn't even doable money wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Berry and Poe are both walked away from.

kccrow
11-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Dontari Poe
Allen Bailey
Jaye Howard
Chris Jones
Rakeem Nunez-Roches
Kendall Reyes

Direckshun
11-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Allen Bailey isn't getting traded that would hurt the cap and he's still a solid player. Everyone needs to get over that one, it isn't even doable money wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Berry and Poe are both walked away from.

Dontari Poe
Allen Bailey
Jaye Howard
Chris Jones
Rakeem Nunez-Roches
Kendall Reyes

Two things:

1. We need cap space. Trading a player away doesn't hurt our cap, does it?

2. We need Chris Jones on the field as much as possible.

Chiefnj2
11-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Never understood why people are so worried about next season when the team is in the hunt for a division title in the beginning of December.

Direckshun
11-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Never understood why people are so worried about next season when the team is in the hunt for a division title in the beginning of December.

I'd like to be in the hunt for the division title for the next ten Decembers.

Mecca
11-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Two things:

Trading him is no different than releasing him, all of his bonus stuff is accelerated onto the current cap.

Allen Bailey isn't going to be released because the team is probably going to walk on Poe's bad back. So you'll be looking at Bailey, Howard and Jones as your starting 3 with likely a first 3 round NT draft pick and Nunez-Roches. Last spot could go to any number of guys battling for it.

Don't think Berry is coming back either so probably looking at a pretty highly drafted safety also.

Direckshun
11-29-2016, 09:47 AM
You wouldn't take a one year rental on Poe at the very least with the tag?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on Berry.

Mecca
11-29-2016, 09:55 AM

I don't think they're going to pay a guy approaching 30, 60 million to play safety...it's just not smart.

On top of that a decision about paying Dee Ford is going to have to happen soon.

DJ's left nut
11-29-2016, 10:01 AM
I don't think they're going to pay a guy approaching 30, 60 million to play safety...it's just not smart.

On top of that a decision about paying Dee Ford is going to have to happen soon.

They have 1 year on his base plus his cheap option and the opportunity to franchise him if need be. They can't even approach him about an extension until after year 4 so they're a year away there.

But yes, Peters and Ford will have to be accounted for soon enough. The thing is though, by the time Peters is getting ready to get paid, Houston will be declining. We'll be well past the DJ and Hali deals and Berry will be gone (even if we bring him back for the next 3 seasons). That money will take care of itself, IMO.

And on the offensive side, Maclin's money will take care of Hill if Hill continues to progress.

I think this decision can be made with a near-term vision.

O.city
11-29-2016, 10:12 AM
I thought before it was overblown, but all the leadership stuff with berry, plus his high level of play this seasin, it's tough to lose him.

I think they bring him back

CupidStunt
11-29-2016, 10:14 AM

At his best yes. He hasn't been that for a while or with any consistency. I'm not saying he'd become Albert Haynesworth, but it's a DAMN scary proposition paying him huge money. Berry is also not remotely worth crazy money. He is a nice player, and a great guy to have, but he doesn't change your defense in any way. Look how easily Turder Semen shredded that secondary even with constant pressure in his face.

You should only pay FOUNDATIONAL players. The Patriots are truly the model. They would never in a million years pay crazy money to these guys with their question-marks and general downsides. You let them go and draft good-enough replacements. Berry is no big deal at all. Poe will be tough to replace from a talent standpoint, but the fact is teams rush right up the gut on us with ease. He doesn't make a difference inside.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Two things:

1. We need cap space. Trading a player away doesn't hurt our cap, does it?.

Good fucking god, man

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I thought before it was overblown, but all the leadership stuff with berry, plus his high level of play this seasin, it's tough to lose him.

I think they bring him back

I think the only way they bring back Berry is with a hugely backloaded contract, most of which he won't likely see, in which he averages around $8 million per for the next 3 years.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Dontarie Poe played a total of 14 snaps in Denver. Meanwhile, RNR, Jones and Reyes took nearly every defensive snap with Jenkins on the field for about half.

I like Poe but there's no way I'm paying him more than $8 million per year and in all honesty, that's too much considering his back issues.

If Dorsey can literally pick up guys off the streets that come in, play well and help this team to an OT victory against the Super Bowl champs in their house, there's no reason to overpay a guy with lingering back issues like a a Top 10 player (which he isn't).

RunKC
11-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Dontarie Poe played a total of 14 snaps in Denver. Meanwhile, RNR, Jones and Reyes took nearly every defensive snap with Jenkins on the field for about half.

I like Poe but there's no way I'm paying him more than $8 million per year and in all honesty, that's too much considering his back issues.

If Dorsey can literally pick up guys off the streets that come in, play well and help this team to an OT victory against the Super Bowl champs in their house, there's no reason to overpay a guy with lingering back issues like a a Top 10 player (which he isn't).

I would like to have a fair contract with Poe where we can get out after 2 years. Berry has earned his right to be paid. I'm wondering if we can backload it for the cap and give him big guaranteed $$ up front.

O.city
11-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Dj said it yesterday but looking at Oakland's ol, you need a good dl to continue ue to win there.

Tough decisions

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Dj said it yesterday but looking at Oakland's ol, you need a good dl to continue ue to win there.

Tough decisions

Maybe this year but they're going to have questions soon enough because Donald Penn is 33, soon to be 34, and they'll need to find a replacement in the draft, which is something they've had difficulty finding over the years.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 11:43 AM
I would like to have a fair contract with Poe where we can get out after 2 years. Berry has earned his right to be paid. I'm wondering if we can backload it for the cap and give him big guaranteed $$ up front.

Berry wants at least $40 million guaranteed, so any team is looking at paying him $13.5 for three years.

I just don't think the Chiefs can afford that kind of contract for a safety.

O.city
11-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Maybe this year but they're going to have questions soon enough because Donald Penn is 33, soon to be 34, and they'll need to find a replacement in the draft, which is something they've had difficulty finding over the years.

Their interior is locked up for a while, which is where you'll need Poe.

Plus Reggie seems to have gotten shit figured out in Oakland so I'm not holding my breath on the draft.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Jaime Collins wants revenge on the Pats and if we don't snag him then someone else in our division may. I'm willing to part with a DL and even Berry to get him.

Patriots fan base is livid with his departure, their D looks very suspect without him. BB may have cost his team the SB trading him

RunKC
11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Their interior is locked up for a while, which is where you'll need Poe.

Plus Reggie seems to have gotten shit figured out in Oakland so I'm not holding my breath on the draft.

Reggie was right there with Dorsey learning how to do this job in GB and it's showed.

Raiders are set up well as much as that sucks to say

ThaVirus
11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Stop trying to make Jamie Collins a thing. It's not happening.

If Bill fucking Belichick can't get a guy in line, what makes you think anyone else could? Giving that guy a contract would be a horrible idea.

ThaVirus
11-29-2016, 11:51 AM
At his best yes. He hasn't been that for a while or with any consistency. I'm not saying he'd become Albert Haynesworth, but it's a DAMN scary proposition paying him huge money. Berry is also not remotely worth crazy money. He is a nice player, and a great guy to have, but he doesn't change your defense in any way. Look how easily Turder Semen shredded that secondary even with constant pressure in his face.

You should only pay FOUNDATIONAL players. The Patriots are truly the model. They would never in a million years pay crazy money to these guys with their question-marks and general downsides. You let them go and draft good-enough replacements. Berry is no big deal at all. Poe will be tough to replace from a talent standpoint, but the fact is teams rush right up the gut on us with ease. He doesn't make a difference inside.

The Pats gave Devin McCourty a nice-sized contract a couple years back.

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 11:56 AM

Agree to disagree there.

While he hit home runs with Mack and Carr, the rest of his drafts have been average at best. He's not filling out the roster with depth from the later rounds (other than Murray) and they're going to have a whale of a time fitting Mack and Carr under the cap while adding free agents.

CupidStunt
11-29-2016, 11:57 AM
The Pats gave Devin McCourty a nice-sized contract a couple years back.

Exceptions | rules

The Chiefs pay far too many players they shouldn't: Bowe, Fisher, etc.

Remember Hudson?

Yeah, me neither.

ThaVirus
11-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Exceptions | rules

Remember Hudson?

Yeah, me neither.

The Patriots also gave a large contract to a back up TE while having essentially no big money tied up at WR or pass rusher.

The team decides who is a foundational player.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
We need to be looking for a replacement for Derrick Johnson. He was not looking good by the end of that Denver game.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Chiefspants
11-30-2016, 02:19 PM
We need to be looking for a replacement for Derrick Johnson. He was not looking good by the end of that Denver game.

With that said, it's pretty incredible he's maintained such a high level of play for so long. Is he the only player from the Vermeil era that's still on the roster?

ModSocks
11-30-2016, 02:22 PM

Bah.

He's been dealing with some sort of leg injury this season. It's not surprising that a leg injury this season has slowed him down.

DJ's left nut
11-30-2016, 02:39 PM

If Bill fucking Belichick can't get a guy in line, what makes you think anyone else could? Giving that guy a contract would be a horrible idea.

I'm not interested in Collins from a pure $$$ perspective.

But let's not act like Saint Belichick wouldn't go feeding his many media stooges as much shit as he could to make himself look better after a trade that didn't look smart from the second it was made.

Belichick's hubris led to that deal and I think he knew he needed a little media cover when he made it. There are a fair number of stories that came out after that deal that conflicted the whole "Collins won't accept coaching and is a crazy freelancer" things that just so happened to come from guys like Mike Lombardi - a former Pat and obvious Belichick mouthpiece.

You'd be as well served turning to Peter King for information on Scott Pioli.

ThaVirus
11-30-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm not interested in Collins from a pure $$$ perspective.

But let's not act like Saint Belichick wouldn't go feeding his many media stooges as much shit as he could to make himself look better after a trade that didn't look smart from the second it was made.

Belichick's hubris led to that deal and I think he knew he needed a little media cover when he made it. There are a fair number of stories that came out after that deal that conflicted the whole "Collins won't accept coaching and is a crazy freelancer" things that just so happened to come from guys like Mike Lombardi - a former Pat and obvious Belichick mouthpiece.

You'd be as well served turning to Peter King for information on Scott Pioli.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes and I won't pretend to, but there is a reason Belichick sent him packing. I wouldn't be willing to part with $12+ per year or whatever he'll command on a gamble that we can get from him what Belichick didn't think was worth it.

Chief Roundup
11-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Bah.

He's been dealing with some sort of leg injury this season. It's not surprising that a leg injury this season has slowed him down.
Called an achilles he is still nursing. Dude is old.

The Franchise
11-30-2016, 02:52 PM
I would slap the transition tag on Poe. Lower cost overall and you can match the contract if it fits in your cap picture. Yeah you won't get the picks if someone signs him....but you'll at least get a comp pick the next year.

Direckshun
11-30-2016, 03:26 PM
With that said, it's pretty incredible he's maintained such a high level of play for so long. Is he the only player from the Vermeil era that's still on the roster?

Colquitt.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-30-2016, 03:39 PM

If Bill ****ing Belichick can't get a guy in line, what makes you think anyone else could? Giving that guy a contract would be a horrible idea.

I remember you saying something similar about Weddle and look how that turned out...

Chiefspants
11-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Colquitt.

Of course. How could I forget our MVP?

ThaVirus
11-30-2016, 03:45 PM
I remember you saying something similar about Weddle and look how that turned out...

Weddle's situation isn't comparable to Collins' in the least so I definitely did not say something similar.

go bo
11-30-2016, 07:51 PM
It's Voyager, man.

Tyson Jackson is worth three 2's.

voyager?

i thought he left with mr blonde... :)

kccrow
11-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Two things:

Trading a player can hurt the cap, yes. In this instance, no. Trading Bailey would give you 4.0 M in dead money and 2.5 M in cap savings. Can you replace Bailey with comparable ability for 2.5 M? No. That's about what Mike DeVito got to come here. Bailey is a rock solid player just having a bit of a down year. I think you keep Bailey as the #3 in rotation at DE behind Jones and Howard if nothing else. If you let Poe walk and slide Howard to the nose, then you re-sign Reyes as the #3 IMO (w/ Bailey and Jones starting). Nunez-Roches needs to develop more. Lets not forget he got cut more than once this year.

NJChiefsFan
11-30-2016, 10:18 PM
They have 1 year on his base plus his cheap option and the opportunity to franchise him if need be. They can't even approach him about an extension until after year 4 so they're a year away there.

But yes, Peters and Ford will have to be accounted for soon enough. The thing is though, by the time Peters is getting ready to get paid, Houston will be declining. We'll be well past the DJ and Hali deals and Berry will be gone (even if we bring him back for the next 3 seasons). That money will take care of itself, IMO.

And on the offensive side, Maclin's money will take care of Hill if Hill continues to progress.

I think this decision can be made with a near-term vision.

Well said and I agree. Those contracts are going to clear at a good time for Ford and Peters.

Exceptions | rules

Remember Hudson?

Yeah, me neither.

The Chiefs made the right decision with Fisher.

Ecto-I
11-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Called an achilles he is still nursing. Dude is old.

I don't think it's the achilles. He was being rested the last couple of weeks for a hammy. Collinsworth I think was just conjecturing based on DJ's injury two years ago.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2016, 11:10 PM
I don't think it's the achilles. He was being rested the last couple of weeks for a hammy. Collinsworth I think was just conjecturing based on DJ's injury two years ago.

Achilles.

It wa on the report.

King_Chief_Fan
12-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Including those we've lost to injury, here is the entirety of the DL on this roster:

Dontari Poe
Allen Bailey
Jaye Howard
Chris Jones
Rakeem Nunez-Roches
Kendall Reyes
Jarvis Jenkins
David King
T.J. Barnes -- holy shit, this guy is 6'7", 364 lbs

So, Poe is up for contract. Reyes and Jenkins are also free agents.

You probably want Chris Jones starting in 2017. And you probably want RNR to get major playing time, if not starting as well.

You want to go about 6 deep, as we typically do. Who do you keep, and what do you do with the guys you don't.

I let Poe go....numerous back injuries and those things never go away. Do not want to pay him with this much doubt about his ability to stay healthy.
Bailey
RNR
Jones
Howard
Not sure where to go from there.

King_Chief_Fan
12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Trading a player can hurt the cap, yes. In this instance, no. Trading Bailey would give you 4.0 M in dead money and 2.5 M in cap savings. Can you replace Bailey with comparable ability for 2.5 M? No. That's about what Mike DeVito got to come here. Bailey is a rock solid player just having a bit of a down year. I think you keep Bailey as the #3 in rotation at DE behind Jones and Howard if nothing else. If you let Poe walk and slide Howard to the nose, then you re-sign Reyes as the #3 IMO (w/ Bailey and Jones starting). Nunez-Roches needs to develop more. Lets not forget he got cut more than once this year.

very true but I remember his performance against Denver more:drool:

NJChiefsFan
12-01-2016, 09:30 AM
very true but I remember his performance against Denver more:drool:

He was good in the 1st quarter against TB as well.

O.city
12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/804358148517675009

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 10:20 AM
https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/804358148517675009

RNR isn't a nose.

He's a great 3-technique though. And really, he probably has the quickness to play outside the tackle as an adequate 5-tech.

I think Howard is his mirror image; best as a 3-tech but has enough bulk to slide the other way and be adequate at the 0.

Poe's the best true NT on the squad and there's not really a close 2nd, IMO.

O.city
12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
RNR isn't a nose.

He's a great 3-technique though. And really, he probably has the quickness to play outside the tackle as an adequate 5-tech.

I think Howard is his mirror image; best as a 3-tech but has enough bulk to slide the other way and be adequate at the 0.

Poe's the best true NT on the squad and there's not really a close 2nd, IMO.

Pretty much why I wanna pump the brakes on letting poe walk. The back is scary, but he's just a specimen and doing what he does isn't easy to find.

Also, ramik, stay in your gap partner.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Pretty much why I wanna pump the brakes on letting poe walk. The back is scary, but he's just a specimen and doing what he does isn't easy to find.

Also, ramik, stay in your gap partner.

Ramik's spiritual predecessor is still Donnie Edwards.

Ramik, like Donnie, has made himself useful but he's always going to be a guy that dances out of that gap looking to slide around a blocker more often than you'd like.

O.city
12-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Ramik's spiritual predecessor is still Donnie Edwards.

Ramik, like Donnie, has made himself useful but he's always going to be a guy that dances out of that gap looking to slide around a blocker more often than you'd like.

Pretty much.

It sucks that it didn't last long, but the 9ers ilb of the Harbaugh time were so fun to watch.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Achilles.

It wa on the report.

Only because 'Q - aging linebacker' wouldn't fit.

Like Manning before him, 'healthy' is relative; what you see is as healthy as you're going to get from your 34 yr old linebacker with 165 games under his belt.

This is his new normal and expecting more is folly. If he is injured, it's the kind of injury that isn't going away this season because sprains/strains just don't heal themselves while trying to play on them when you hit your mid 30's. And by next season he's just going to be another year older and it will be another silly little sprain/strain that has him on the injury report all year.

The guy's just old. It sucks but it is what it is. I'd appreciate him for what we're getting out of him because that's still more than 2/3 of the league. If he were really, truly injured rather than just aging, he wouldn't even be this productive. Old guys with real injuries can't go out there and play this well. This is no different than an older pitcher having a sore arm - older pitchers always have a sore arm but by god when that UCL blows, you know it. DJ has a sore arm but the UCL is intact.

ThaVirus
12-01-2016, 11:11 AM
KC really is a baseball town.

The amount of baseball analogies you guys make is astounding.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 11:12 AM
KC really is a baseball town.

The amount of baseball analogies you guys make is astounding.

I'm a Cardinals fan ;)

O.city
12-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Same here

RunKC
12-01-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure what we'll do at nose this week. We don't have anyone over 310 lbs to plug in there, and I don't want to waste Jones one NT snaps to take up blockers.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure what we'll do at nose this week. We don't have anyone over 310 lbs to plug in there, and I don't want to waste Jones one NT snaps to take up blockers.

Probably see more 4-man fronts at the expense of Ramik.

A 4-man alignment with Jones and RNR in the middle trying to collapse the pocket and Reyes/Jenkins on the outside just looking to occupy blockers to free up Houston and Ford should work out well enough. You could also have Hali spend some time with his hand on the ground in lieu of Jenkins (as Reyes has earned his snaps).

I'd like to see King active if Poe and Howard can't answer the bell. He has some versatility that would allow him to swing inside or outside depending on the alignment.

In your base formation, I don't see how you avoid putting RNR at the 0. Both he and Jones guys have about the same bulk and while Jones seems to have a bit more functional strength, he also has the length that makes him more desireable at DE, especially if you're going to play any kind of wide front that puts him in a 5-tech.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I'd like to see King active if Poe and Howard can't answer the bell. He has some versatility that would allow him to swing inside or outside depending on the alignment.

King is on the PS, so that would require cutting someone or moving a player to IR.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2016, 02:21 PM
King is on the PS, so that would require cutting someone or moving a player to IR.

{shrug}

Bryan Witzmann can probably go (or at least Mike Person...who I didn't even know was on this team). Robinson appears to be part of Toub's unit so he's not going anywhere. Terrance Mitchell? Knile Davis?

We need bodies. If those two guys can't go, we can't just go out there with 4 DL and pray that nothing goes wrong. Surely we can cut one of the OL that haven't seen a snap all year especially when we have a little bit of versatility in Reid and Fulton. I expect that Person's just here because he played some center - Fulton can do that and Reid can slide inside. If two guys go down, Witzmann can presumably play G and Reid can kick to T (it's not like Person can play T anyway).

They need a body.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2016, 05:50 PM
{shrug}

Bryan Witzmann can probably go (or at least Mike Person...who I didn't even know was on this team). Robinson appears to be part of Toub's unit so he's not going anywhere. Terrance Mitchell? Knile Davis?

We need bodies. If those two guys can't go, we can't just go out there with 4 DL and pray that nothing goes wrong. Surely we can cut one of the OL that haven't seen a snap all year especially when we have a little bit of versatility in Reid and Fulton. I expect that Person's just here because he played some center - Fulton can do that and Reid can slide inside. If two guys go down, Witzmann can presumably play G and Reid can kick to T (it's not like Person can play T anyway).

They need a body.

Looks like this is his chance, unless they go with Barnes.

FWIW, Wiztmann has been the right tackle on all PAT and FG attempts in place of Shartz for the past 5 games or so.

O.city
12-01-2016, 05:53 PM
Looks like this is his chance, unless they go with Barnes.

FWIW, Wiztmann has been the right tackle on all PAT and FG attempts in place of Shartz for the past 5 games or so.

Schwartz is hurt I think

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Schwartz is hurt I think

I hope so because he's been sucking ass and clearly not worth the 5 year contract he received this offseason.

The guy was continually roasted by Shaq Barrett and Von Miller Sunday night.

O.city
12-01-2016, 05:57 PM
He's been limited in practice every week since the ankle injury and taken off special teams. Pretty obvious he's hurt it would seem

RunKC
12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
I hope so because he's been sucking ass and clearly not worth the 5 year contract he received this offseason.

The guy was continually roasted by Shaq Barrett and Von Miller Sunday night.

He's had serious issues with his ankle for weeks. They haven't even played him on ST's for FG's for over a month.