PDA

View Full Version : Football Bengals' season is likely over and so too is the Marvin Lewis era

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 06:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/monday-musings-bengals-season-is-likely-over-and-so-too-is-the-marvin-lewis-era/

Once thought to be a Super Bowl contender, Bengals fall to 3-7-1 and fruitless Lewis era could be over

Pete Prisco

Thud. Smack. Bang.
Use any loud noise you want to describe a window being slammed shut, and that's what they're hearing in Cincinnati.
The Cincinnati Bengals ' window, the one with Marvin Lewis leading the team to five straight postseason appearances, is about to be slammed shut. Cincinnati, which entered the season as one of the favorites in the AFC North and a legitimate Super Bowl contender, fell to 3-7-1 on Sunday by losing 19-14 to the Baltimore Ravens .
That means the season is over and the Lewis era could be as well.
If it is, it has been a nice run for a team that was a laughingstock for a long time before Lewis got to Cincinnati in 2003, but a non-playoff season, even with all the injuries, will make it tough to bring Lewis back. He is under contract through the 2017 season after getting a one-year extension this spring, which could mean he's back for another season, but that might be pushing it.
There were many calling for his head after the Bengals lost in the playoffs to the Pittsburgh Steelers last January in a game that featured an utter meltdown by the Bengals to blow it, complete with a lack of discipline. But that was absurd then when Lewis just went to the playoffs five straight times and played that game without injured quarterback Andy Dalton .
Even so, it likely made it so he had to get back to the playoffs this year and maybe even win a game to assure himself another season.
That isn't happening now.

Lewis has been a successful coach, but when you go 0-7 in the playoffs and then have a disaster like this year, it's hard to justify Lewis coming back for another season -- even if there is some thinking the Bengals won't let him go with one-year left.
Fourteen seasons is a long time for a coach in one spot without a playoff victory. Lewis has a record of 115-101-3 in his 14 seasons with six seasons of double-digit victories. That's not awful. But it would be hard to imagine the Bengals bringing him back after this season.
The Bengals have had their share of injuries this season, and some players have looked flat-out old, but this is a really bad look for a team expected to be a Super Bowl contender.
If Lewis is out after the season, it has been a heck of a run. Fourteen years is a long time in one place in this era. But without a playoff victory, it would be hard to imagine owner Mike Brown bringing him back again.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Modern day Schottenheimer

SAUTO
But how did Alex Smith cause it?

oaklandhater
Has there ever been a coach who lasted has long as Lewis with such a mediocre record ?

oaklandhater

This

Mr. Laz
He'll get another shot.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 06:33 PM
He'll get another shot.

If Pagano and Marvin both have there jobs at the end of the season Colts/Bengals fans will riot.

Mr. Laz
11-28-2016, 06:38 PM
If Pagano and Marvin both have there jobs at the end of the season Colts/Bengals fans will riot.

I didn't say it would necessarily be with Cincy.

notorious
11-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Has there ever been a coach who lasted has long as Lewis with such a mediocre record ?

Fisher farts in Lewis's general direction.

The Franchise
11-28-2016, 06:40 PM
He should go be a coordinator for a while.

Rain Man
Wow. I pay no attention to the AFC North. I didn't know the Bengals had flopped like this.

In other news, has anyone else noticed that the Detroit Lions are 7-4 and in first place in the NFC North? What's going on up there?

The Franchise
Or he could always land in Jacksonville. That might be a good spot for him.

The Franchise
11-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Wow. I pay no attention to the AFC North. I didn't know the Bengals had flopped like this.

In other news, has anyone else noticed that the Detroit Lions are 7-4 and in first place in the NFC North? What's going on up there?

Something must be in the water.

*rimshot*

notorious
11-28-2016, 06:42 PM
He should go be a coordinator for a while.

Raiders?

:eek:

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Whats going on in the NFC west they were the strongest division now seahawks are the only team with a winning record.

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Whats going on in the NFC west they were the strongest division now seahawks are the only team with a winning record.

Smith left. ROFL :popcorn:

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Smith left. ROFL

He didn't play for the cards lol bruce arians name should be up for debate on a hotseat

And no niner fan in there right mind misses smith.

Harbs yes Smith no.

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:03 PM
He didn't play for the cards lol bruce arians name should be up for debate on a hotseat

Harbs yes Smith no.

Couldn't resist, bro. Just having fun.

I will say, the Cardinals are a shock, for sure. They're stacked. Not sure what is going on there.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 07:05 PM

It's fine LMAO

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Oak with his anti Smith rhetoric and thinking he speaks for everyone in the bay area...

Damn fool

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Google Alex Smith and Blaine Gabbert together and look at the bay area articles that populate. That franchise messed up letting harbaugh run wild and they live with the consequences of it...a broken kaepernick

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Oak with his anti Smith rhetoric and thinking he speaks for everyone in the bay area...

Damn fool

Drop the Smith crap, please. I brought it up. Oaklandhater was staying on topic.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Damn fool

Good to see I'm off your ignore list LMAO

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:12 PM
This has been long overdue for Lewis. It's been a long, on-going joke for many years. You have to applaud Cinn's commitment to continuity, but this could be their out.

chiefzilla1501
11-28-2016, 07:13 PM
He long overstayed his welcome and will always be a middling coach at best. But the problem in Cincy was and always has been Mike Brown. A notorious cheapskate. He gives rejects/criminals second chances because he's cheap. He's kept Marvin Lewis for a million years because he's cheap.

Meanwhile he passed on Mike Zimmer. And gave away pretty much his entire receiving corps this offseason while inviting back cheap guys like Pac Man and Burfict. Losing Hue Jackson didn't help either.

tk13
11-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Considering where the Bengals were when Lewis took over, he did some positive things. Remember they hadn't done squat in over a decade.

Still, I think it's unfair to compare him to Fisher and especially Marty. Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs. That just doesn't cut it. At least Fisher and Marty had 10 year stretches where they were legit championship contenders, and had legit opportunities to win titles.

displacedinMN
11-28-2016, 07:21 PM

GB has a ton of injuries
Minnesota is on their 7th guard (not exaggerating) Has gone down in flames after going 5-0
Chicago just sucks.

Someone has to be on top.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 07:25 PM
GB has a ton of injuries
Minnesota is on their 7th guard (not exaggerating) Has gone down in flames after going 5-0
Chicago just sucks.

Someone has to be on top.

Marquess Wilson drop 10 passes yesterday.

bears are cursed this season.

NWTF
11-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Harbs yes Smith no.

I dont think Arians is on the hot seat. Too soon just after going to the championship game. If they suck next year then yeah.

Marvin Lewis has lasted a crazy long time for never even winning a playoff game ever. Overheard today on radio, they think he will be back next year because hes under contract for next year, and Mike Brown is one of the biggest cheapskates in all of sports, and probably wont be willing to buy out that last year. LMAO

srvy
11-28-2016, 07:38 PM

I will say, the Cardinals are a shock, for sure. They're stacked. Not sure what is going on there.

Palmer is going on there he may be done.

Red Dawg
11-28-2016, 07:40 PM

Yeah. Fisher and Garret.

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Palmer is going on there he may be done.

Figured as much, thanks. im surprised they squeezed as much out of him as they did. I was saying this when he was in OAK.

mdchiefsfan
11-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Yeah. Fisher and Garret.

Garrett, for sure. Well, both for sure but Garrett must play a might fine skin flute to be where he is.

Fisher is like a damn cockroach: you just can't get rid of him. I'm amazed at how teams line up for him.

If this year wouldn't have occurred in DAL, I don't think we'd see the same thing with Garrett.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Yeah. Fisher and Garret.

Fisher is on his 2nd team at least.

and Garret is a yes man for jones only reason he gets to stick around.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Andy Dalton a Chief soon?

MahiMike
11-28-2016, 08:49 PM
8 years too late.

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 08:52 PM

I'll prolly get a ton of flack for this but I would be ecstatic if the chiefs got dalton.

veist
11-28-2016, 08:54 PM

Baalke the GM in SF is aiming for Matt Millen levels of failure at his job, Arizona had Carson Palmer turn into a pumpkin again and all the while Jeff Fisher and the Rams continue to be aggressively mediocre?

Deberg_1990
11-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Baalke the GM in SF is aiming for Matt Millen levels of failure at his job, Arizona had Carson Palmer turn into a pumpkin again and all the while Jeff Fisher and the Rams continue to be aggressively mediocre?

Unbelievable how the Niners ran Harbaugh off. Because I guess they don't like winning??

CupidStunt
11-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Would be a huge upgrade (not unlike the steamer I dropped a few hours ago), but why would they cut bait?

Lewis is one thing and overdue but they don't have anything else remotely resembling a QB option. Dalton with a new coach and a legit #2 WR would be good (until said WR leaves in 3 years when the Bengals don't pay him).

oaklandhater
11-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Unbelievable how the Niners ran Harbaugh off. Because I guess they don't like winning??

York loves to toss out the integrity word when talking about why Harbs was fired it was an ego issue with baalke and harbs not liking each other and York took baalke's side.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/jed-york-praises-jim-tomsulas-great-class-and-integrity//

York trying to talk shit about harbs when tomsula took over

Titty Meat
11-28-2016, 09:55 PM
I'd take him as a college coach

chiefzilla1501
11-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Would be a huge upgrade (not unlike the steamer I dropped a few hours ago), but why would they cut bait?

Lewis is one thing and overdue but they don't have anything else remotely resembling a QB option. Dalton with a new coach and a legit #2 WR would be good (until said WR leaves in 3 years when the Bengals don't pay him).

I'm pretty neutral on Alex Smith. Not that crazy about him.

But not giving up on him for another retread, let alone a guy who is half Daunte Culpepper (a QB made by a stud receiver) and half Phillip Rivers (a guy who finds ways to lose big games). Dalton is a choker. The one thing you can say for Alex Smith is he's been really good in at least half of his playoff games to date. Dalton has had elite offensive lines, elite receivers, a top 5 defense, a quality running game... what more could the guy have asked for?

Hoover
11-28-2016, 11:50 PM

Well Jim Caldwell is actually a really good coach and Stafford is a good qb. Indy's problem is that they should have never blamed Caldwell for the shit years when Manning was hurt. Still Indy's problems are rooted in front office problems more than anything else.

ping2000
11-29-2016, 12:45 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/ac8c45395b38aa958037edf88efe0222.jpg

mdchiefsfan
11-29-2016, 01:28 AM

ROFL

BryanBusby
11-29-2016, 01:33 AM
Marvin Lewis was a program builder for the Bengals. I don't even think they had a real scouting department when he showed up.

Unless he's determined to continue being a Head Coach, he'll have a job in the Bengals FO when they decide to move in another direction.

Hard to win when your db's die every year, lose all the attention that AJ Green drew away. Mix in losing 2 Offensive Coordinators and one Defensive Coordinator and well yeah, a slip isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility.

Oh and Pete Prisco is a stupid fucking tool.

kcxiv
11-29-2016, 04:04 AM

Damn fool
I live in Nor Cal, no one wants Alex back! lol At least i dont know any Niner fans that do.

kcxiv
11-29-2016, 04:05 AM

Now the Niners fans hate York for letting Harbaugh go. This is 100 percent true right here.

oaklandhater
11-29-2016, 04:37 AM
I live in Nor Cal, no one wants Alex back! lol At least i dont know any Niner fans that do.

I've never met one and I've worked with scores of them me you and pawn are all from the Bay and we keep telling tiger over and over that 90% niner fans are glad he is gone.

Eleazar
11-29-2016, 09:21 AM
He will probably find another job immediately but I can't imagine why

chiefzilla1501
11-29-2016, 10:16 AM
He will probably find another job immediately but I can't imagine why

Why? He's a good coach. Maybe not a great head coach, but there's lots of things he'd be excellent at. He'd be immediately the favorite for many defensive coordinator openings.

DJ's left nut
11-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Pft - Schottenheimer was a far better coach.

Minority Jeff Fisher.

FloridaMan88
11-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Marvin Lewis has reached Carl Peterson status with the Bengals it seems.

He continues to save his job because of the memories of how bad the franchise was before he got there.

tk13
11-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Why? He's a good coach. Maybe not a great head coach, but there's lots of things he'd be excellent at. He'd be immediately the favorite for many defensive coordinator openings.

He'd get a DC job in a second. Seems like a lifetime ago, but remember he ran one of the greatest defenses of all time in Baltimore. That probably set him up for life.

Amnorix
11-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Heck no. Schottenheimer went 6-13 in the playoffs, which is light years better than 0 and freaking 7.

ZERO and 7. I mean, c'mon.

Schottenheimer also averaged a full win more per season ON AVERAGE compared to Lewis. He won 60.6% of games, compared to Lewis's 53.8%. When you only play 16 games per year, that's pretty significant.

BlackHelicopters
11-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks bin Laden.

Titty Meat
11-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Pft - Schottenheimer was a far better coach.

Minority Jeff Fisher.

Either of those guys would do better than your current HC at Mizzou. Coaching abilities aside they'd land some major talent.

jettio
11-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Year Venue Winner, Score
2003 Cincinnati Bengals, 24-19
2005 Kansas City Chiefs, 3-37,
2006 Kansas City Bengals, 23-10
2007 Kansas City Chiefs, 20-27
2008 Cincinnati Bengals, 16-6
2009 Cincinnati Bengals, 17-10
2012 Kansas City Bengals, 28-6
2015 Cincinnati Bengals, 36-21

Marvin Lewis has had his teams very well prepared for games against the Chiefs. 6-2 with two wins at Arrowhead. Three wins against KC teams that made playoffs.

The 37-3 games was last game of 2005 season, Bengals had clinched AFC North and no possibility of first round bye. They pulled starters early. To get in playoffs, Chiefs needed a bad Detroit team to win at Pittsburgh. If that happened Chiefs would have played at Cincinnati, so that was another factor in the Bengals taking it easy.

Most of the Chiefs games against the Bengals since Lewis has been there felt like Bengals had complete control of the game start to finish.

If Lewis wants the job, Bengals should keep him. The Ravens and Steelers are well-run franchises in the same division and the Bengals contend for the playoffs regularly.

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Marvin does strike me as more hampered by the FO than other 'mediocre' perennial playoff fodder.

I don't know how many times I've wondered 'how the fuck does he have those jamokes performing' then to have the playoff expose the lack of talent/character.

Not to mention, for all our agita about elite QBs, he's been uniquely cursed with Palmer/Dalton. Legit talents that disappear, often completely without blame, at just the wrong time karmically.

Titty Meat
11-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Marvin does strike me as more hampered by the FO than other 'mediocre' perennial playoff fodder.

I don't know how many times I've wondered 'how the **** does he have those jamokes performing' then to have the playoff expose the lack of talent/character.

Not to mention, for all our agita about elite QBs, he's been uniquely cursed with Palmer/Dalton. Legit talents that disappear, often completely without blame, at just the wrong time karmically.

Huh? That team is about as talented as any.

chiefzilla1501
11-29-2016, 10:16 PM

I don't know how many times I've wondered 'how the **** does he have those jamokes performing' then to have the playoff expose the lack of talent/character.

Team has plenty of talent. But I can't imagine with the characters they have on the team that they have any chemistry.

The claim is that Marvin Lewis pushed for convicts believing he could reform them. I don't buy it. Mike Brown is a notorious cheapskate and I think he brought this guys in to save some $'s. This is the same guy who for years refused to have a scouting department. That being said, Marvin has a Marty-esque way of losing big games, so I wouldn't want him near my team as a head coach. But I think the biggest problem in Cincy is Mike Brown and he aien't going away.

notorious
11-30-2016, 10:15 AM

This.

Amnorix
11-30-2016, 10:30 AM

This.

Yes, but as last year's playoffs, and many other games, have proven, their talent comes at a cost. Complete stupidity which costs you games because of their mistakes in critical moments.

Burfict won them the game, and then lost them the game.

But hey, don't listen to me. Listen to Jimmy Fucking Johnson and Bill Fucking Belichick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMBZmDFfcso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious
11-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Yes, but as last year's playoffs, and many other games, have proven, their talent comes at a cost. Complete stupidity which costs you games because of their mistakes in critical moments.

But hey, don't listen to me. Listen to Jimmy ****ing Johnson and Bill ****ing Belichick.

Well, yeah.

Did either say anything against this?

chiefzilla1501
11-30-2016, 10:55 AM

But hey, don't listen to me. Listen to Jimmy ****ing Johnson and Bill ****ing Belichick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMBZmDFfcso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yup. I still think Marvin has a Marty schottenheimer and Phillip rivers gene for losing in big games. But you wonder how much more the Bengals could have done if they stopped getting in their own way. I could actually see Marvin Lewis being like dungy in a new situation. Surround him with a new situation and new front office, and maybe give him players who can keep the head coach from getting in his own way.

But you still have to point to coaching as a part of the problem. The defense has been progressively worse without Zimmer. And losing hue Jackson hurts too.

ThaVirus
11-30-2016, 11:13 AM

They're having a decent year but are inconsistent.

Wins have come from some miracle last-second offensive drives and key late INTs.

veist
12-02-2016, 10:06 AM

This perfectly encapsulates his brand of aggressively mediocre.