PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Was Sunday night the best regular season Chiefs game you've ever seen?

Mama Hip Rockets
11-29-2016, 07:29 PM
If not, what games were better?

Pointer19
11-29-2016, 07:45 PM
MNF, opening day with the new stadium upgrades a few years back against the Chargers was quite a game, but I don't remember much of it at all.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 07:46 PM
MNF, opening day with the new stadium upgrades a few years back against the Chargers was quite a game, but I don't remember much of it at all.

I was just going to say this. :clap:

Chiefshrink
11-29-2016, 07:47 PM
but I don't remember much of it at all.

then how do you know ?

Red Dawg
11-29-2016, 07:48 PM
As far as pulling out a win out of their ass yes. It's super bad ass to beat a very arrogant cheap shotting team like Denver in their house. Sending home their fans in disbelief is beyond fun. It was a compete surprise but I think kicking the crap out of Brady two years ago was better. Dominated from start to finish.

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 07:52 PM
If I start cataloging the best regular season games, it will get depressing how many are 20-25 years ago. Little to beat the early ascendancy of Marty's Chiefs, before playoff disappointment really set in.

MNF v Elway
Bills @ home 33-6
@ Bears, when the guys in my dorm were all hardcore Bears fans who couldn't look me in the eye after.
The SD monsoon game with DT sitting serene in the downpour after the game.
The defenestration of Ryan Leaf
The depantsing of Jeff George.

With the exception of early 2003, and last year, none of anything since carried a sense of leading anywhere.

Though, the '00 game where we made Kurt Warner puke and put 58 on the Rams was pretty fun.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
Given the situation of: Alex Smith facing criticism from the media...Maclin/Ford/Howard injured while Denver returned both Wolfe and Talib, plus them being defending champs, and a very tight AFC west race....

It's hard to not vote this the best regular season game.

splatbass
Montana vs. Elway on MNF was better.

displacedinMN
11-29-2016, 07:54 PM

Yea, that was the best.

This was just another game I shut off before the end.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Watching Rivers fumble the snap on a goal line stand on MNF in the home opener was great shit.

LoneWolf
11-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Tamarick Vanover overtime punt return TD on MNF vs. the Chargers.

In58men
11-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Watching Rivers fumble the snap on a goal line stand on MNF in the home opener was great shit.

Was that the Monday night double header? I think Dexter return a punt back for a Chiefs franchise record

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 08:03 PM
In the past 15 years, I still think the most exciting moments are Dante 2x v Donkeys, punt return and pass reception.

Maybe Jamaal v NO.

My opinion of the Dante punt return might be skewed by my best friend calling me from the front row of that endzone. Didn't hear a word, knew exactly what the purpose of the call was.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2016, 08:04 PM
I seem to recall a thanksgiving day game against Denver a few years back that was awesome. Or maybe it was a Christmas day game.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2016, 08:05 PM
By the way , the game airs again on NFL network at 9.

Kman34
11-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Montana v Elway.... yelled at the TV all night...

Hydrae
11-29-2016, 08:07 PM
If I start cataloging the best regular season games, it will get depressing how many are 20-25 years ago. Little to beat the early ascendancy of Marty's Chiefs, before playoff disappointment really set in.

MNF v Elway
Bills @ home 33-6
@ Bears, when the guys in my dorm were all hardcore Bears fans who couldn't look me in the eye after.

With the exception of early 2003, and last year, none of anything since carried a sense of leading anywhere.

Though, the '00 game where we made Kurt Warner puke and put 58 on the Rams was pretty fun.

That was probably my favorite of all time. My new at the time brother-in-law is a huge Raider fan. It was so much fun watching George and the rest of the team get their collective shit pushed in! :evil:

LoneWolf
11-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Was that the Monday night double header? I think Dexter return a punt back for a Chiefs franchise record

Different games.

displacedinMN
11-29-2016, 08:11 PM

If I turn down the sound so I don't have to listen to Collinsworth, and get the KCFX feed-I will watch

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:12 PM

It was the game where they had a Chiefs tradition clip with Rob Riggle on the jumbotrons and fireworks. They played "Wont Get Fooled Again" during the special pre-game showing.

Yes, it was the Monday Night Football doubleheader. I think you are right about the McCluster return too.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Different games.

Was it different games? I can't remember.

mdchiefsfan
11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
NE vs KC Monday Night 2014. That game was the last thing I ever expected.

LoneWolf
11-29-2016, 08:14 PM
It was the game where they had a Chiefs tradition clip with Rob Riggle on the jumbotrons and fireworks. They played "Wont Get Fooled Again" during the special pre-game showing.

Yes, it was the Monday Night Football doubleheader. I think you are right about the McCluster return too.

The Arrowhead reopening game where McCluster returned the punt for a touchdown was not the same game as the Rivers fumble.

alanm
11-29-2016, 08:16 PM
I seem to recall a thanksgiving day game against Denver a few years back that was awesome. Or maybe it was a Christmas day game.Thanksgiving 2005 Very first Thursday night game.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:17 PM
The Arrowhead reopening game where McCluster returned the punt for a touchdown was not the same game as the Rivers fumble.

I think you are right. Shit man, i remember Rivers saying "Worst Day Ever" after the fumble. That was in SD if i am not mistaken.

Hydrae
11-29-2016, 08:17 PM

That was the game in the rain, right? Loved Phyllis' meltdown that night!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Yea, that was the best.

You...what?? JFC

DaKCMan AP
11-29-2016, 08:19 PM

MNF v Elway
Bills @ home 33-6

Good list. I thought the monsoon game was Seattle, not San Diego?

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Did you guys see the Thanksgiving CBS pregame where Riggle jousted with Koechner over who was the better Chiefs fan?

Pretty cool too that Riggle looks to be wrangling skit work for LA UCB types [Matt Walsh (Veep, Reno 911) and Johnny Pemberton (Son of Zorn, Superstore) were contestants in a fake NFL game show with him].

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Goddammit, now i am confused and trying to remember. I remember something happening during a goal line stand during that MNF game. I thought that was the game Rivers fumbled the snap, but i also remember a game with Rivers saying "worst day ever" as well.

Fuck i don't know now.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Can someone chime in and tell me i am not losing my ****ing mind? ROFL

AJKCFAN
11-29-2016, 08:27 PM
I voted no only because its not a definitie yes when you put it against these beauties. Time will tell if this game is the best regular season game of all.

Keep in mind I was not around for the glory days so old timers have a lot more games to choose from.

Off top of my head I could think of over 20 other really memorable games. Most of which were Chiefs wins but some really painful losses deserve mention as well.

Feel free to add in others.

Here goes...

Chargers @ Chiefs
Chiefs were going nowhere and although they won story of game was Stephone Paige NFL record setting 309 yards receiving, still an AFC record to this day.

Chiefs @ Steelers
Chiefs make playoffs for first time in 15 years as they win 24-19
Their 3 TDs on the road were a defensive TD, a blocked FG return for a TD and I think a blocked punt return for a TD. Finally making the playoffs meant so much. This game was so important to a long suffering fan base.

Seahawks @ Chiefs
They lose the heartbreaker game on last play of game but DT was at his very best. 7 sacks. The loss cost them the AFC West and a likely trip to AFC Championship Game in DeBerg's magical season. It indirectly ended Bo Jacksons career now that I think of it cause the Raiders would have been playing Wild Card game and maybe Bo survived that game and keeps playing.

Chiefs @ Chargers
Chiefs make the playoffs keyed by a rally sparked by a big 3rd and long screen pass from Steve Deberg to Todd McNair.

Bills @ Chiefs MNF
The Chiefs absolutely destroyed the Bills on MNF. Think it was 33-6. They beat their ass so bad that night. 100 yard games by both Okoye and Harvey Williams I believe. The defense crushed the explosive Bills offense as pummeled them good. Rare were the Chiefs on MNF. Rarer was a first class ass whopping of an elite team on the big stage.

Chiefs @ Raiders
Last game of regular season. They both were locked in to facing each other the next week but Chiefs win LA 27-21 and then beat them again following weekend in KC 10-6 in Wild Card Game for first playoff win since Super Bowl IV

Broncos @ Chiefs
Last game of regular season. Winner makes playoffs. Loser goes home. The one time Marty really got the best of Elway in big do or die spot. Chiefs blow them out 42-20 to make playoffs.

49ers @ Chiefs.
Montana beats Young 24-17 in Arrowhead in most anticipated regular season game the Chiefs have ever played in. DT stole the show with 4 sacks and won the game off possibly the best 49ers team of all.

Chiefs @ Broncos MNF.
The ancestor to last Sunday's. game. Montana outdueling Horse Face. 31-28 then 30-27 today. Even though Montana was on his last legs, I still never have seen a QB more clutch than Montana as brief as it was.

Chiefs @ Raiders.
Just like 1992, an all or nothing game in final week of season where winner makes playoffs, loser does not. Chiefs win 19-9 and highlight was Raiders 19 play drive ending in a pick 6 by Mark Collins. The very last ever game as the Los Angeles Raiders and it was a loss to the Chiefs.

Raiders @ Chiefs.
I've never seen a scene live like I was in Arrowhead that day. Chiefs win in OT on a 76 yard pick 6 by James Hasty to win 23-17 which led to a 13-3 season against the only other contending team that year (Chargers made playoffs but Raiders were 8-2 to start season with 1 of their losses occuring here. They collapsed but they really were a tremendous team that year which made the win all the more sweeter.)

Chargers @ Chiefs MNF.
Chiefs tie game late with a drive down field TD pass from Bono to Derrick Walker. Then win it in OT 29-23 on a punt return TD by rookie Tamarick Vanover.

Chiefs @ Raiders MNF.
Chiefs win on last play of game as new QB Elvis Grbac finds Andre Rison behind the defense in end zone to win 28-27

Broncos @ Chiefs
The Pete Stoyanovich game. Kicks a game inning 54 yard FG on last play of game in the cold which just cleared the crossbar and Chiefs win 16-14 which really led to ten winning the division.

49ers @ Chiefs
49ers again were great. Chiefs kicked their ass so bad 44-9 that I still never felt to this day more confident that the Chiefs really were gonna win the Suoer Bowl than after that game.

Raiders @ Chiefs. The Chiefs killed them on SNF but DT had his 6 sacks and called shot for a safety warrants an honorable mention.

Raiders @ Chiefs
Last game of regular season. Raiders spoil Chiefs season and cost them the AFC West to Seattle of all teams in an incredible game 41-38 setting the stage for Rich Gannon to be a thorn in our side.

Chiefs @ Browns
The Dwayne Rudd game! Helmet toss gives Chiefs one final play and Morten Andersen kicks game winning FG to win 41-39

Broncos @ Chiefs
Dante Hall's beyond insane 92 yard punt return with 6 minutes to play gives Chiefs the 24-23 victory. I'm not sure if Arrowhead ever came unglued like they did on that play.

Chiefs @ Packers. Trent Green finds Eddie Kennison deep for a game winning TD in OT to win a shootout in Lambeau Field.

Jaguars @ Chiefs. Chiefs win a back and forth game 35-30 and then watch 5 teams ahead of them choke to make the playoffs culminating in a Broncos home loss to the lowly 49ers led by rookie QB Alex Smith. Oh the delicious irony...

Chargers @ Chiefs MNF. The Chiefs out of nowhere AFC West championship began with a pair of return TD's by McCluster and Arenas to beat the preseason favorite Chargers as Rivers lost his shit.

Packers @ Chiefs
Chiefs spoil an undefeated season by Packers in Arrowhead behind Orton.

Patriots @ Chiefs MNF
Chiefs completely rock the Patriots 41-17 on Wild Card Eve as KC experienced its most memorable Chiefs-Royals tandem event ever.

Broncos @ Chiefs TNF
Have to include the bad with the good. The collapse was so painful to watch but it did make for a very memorable game for all the wrong reasons.

Chargers @ Chiefs
If one said at halftime this game would qualify as a contender you'd be dismissed as crazy but it indeed was the greatest deficit ever overcome in Chiefs history

Chiefs @ Broncos SNF
It really ranks high and very high. If Chiefs make a Super Bowl it should be #1 but it remains to be seen. However, had they made Super Bowl in 1995, 1997, 2003 heck even 1994 those games just mentioned would gain a lot more sizzle.

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Goddammit, now i am confused and trying to remember. I remember something happening during a goal line stand during that MNF game. I thought that was the game Rivers fumbled the snap, but i also remember a game with Rivers saying "worst day ever" as well.

Fuck i don't know now.

I thought the WDE game was a fumble in their own territory. Or at least somewhere between the 25s. It shut the door on them, but wasn't goal line.

The goal line that sticks in my mind v SD right at the moment was last years's duel with Sean Smith.

LoneWolf
11-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Fuck i don't know now.

They were both MNF games. One game Rivers fumbled the snap and KC recovered to seal the victory. The other game was the opening of the new Arrowhead where it rained heavily. In that game, McCluster returned a punt for a touchdown and the Chiefs had a dramatic goal line stand to seal the victory.

AJKCFAN
11-29-2016, 08:29 PM

MNF v Elway
Bills @ home 33-6

Forgot to include SNF win vs. Seahawks in pouring rain in 1998. DT lying in the torrential rain in Arrowhead. It deserved a mention too...

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 08:30 PM
In this decade, this would be #1 of 4 with the New England 2014 game, the 2014 Seattle game (Kelce trucks baldwin, Poe gets the 4th down stop) and then the Bills game in 2014 where the Bills had one of the most stingy defenses in the league (fumble by the bills on a return thanks to Sherman, the Smith misdirection pitch to Charles for a TD on 4th down, the Smith rushing TD, and the Parker strip fumble right before bills could cross the goal line). That was spectacular football.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000425400/Week-10-Chiefs-vs-Bills-highlights

http://chicago.barstoolsports.com/files/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-09-at-2.38.35-PM.png

Baby Lee
11-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Montana -v- Young @ Arrowhead. Yes, forgot that one.

Tribal Warfare
11-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Montana vs Elway, damn that was a heart stopper. It was hilarious seeing a Bronco player handing Joe a football to autograph after the game while he was chatting with Elway in midfield.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:32 PM
They were both MNF games. One game Rivers fumbled the snap and KC recovered to seal the victory. The other game was the opening of the new Arrowhead where it rained heavily. In that game, McCluster returned a punt for a touchdown and the Chiefs had a dramatic goal line stand to seal the victory.

I remember the downpour during the game and i mistakenly thought Rivers fumbled the snap during that goal line stand.

Thanks.

farmerchief
11-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Montana vs Elway, damn that was a heart stopper. It was hilarious seeing a Bronco player handing Joe a football to autograph after the game while he was chatting with Elway in midfield.

Works for me, THAT was a classic!

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Given the situation of: Alex Smith facing criticism from the media...Maclin/Ford/Howard injured while Denver returned both Wolfe and Talib, plus them being defending champs, and a very tight AFC west race....

How you can tell somebody has been a fan of the team since 2013.......

rockymtnchief
11-29-2016, 08:39 PM
I remember the downpour during the game and i mistakenly thought Rivers fumbled the snap during that goal line stand.

Thanks.

In the down pour game, Rivers had first and goal to tie the game in the last minute (IIRC) and KC kept him out of the endzone.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 08:40 PM

That was a great game. It was too bad that we couldn't have reached the super bowl with Montana, we came close.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 08:41 PM

How many games have ended in overtime with a field goal off the upright?

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 08:43 PM
It's hard to pick a favorite, but I have one, and it's probably not a common choice.

I feel like my favorite should have the following elements:

1. It's a win. I want to be sure of that.
2. It's against a team that cheats and plays dirty, which pretty much means the Broncos or Raiders.
3. The dirty cheating team has a good record.
4. The Chiefs play well to get the win. I'm less interested in a 4-12 Chiefs win over 2-14 Raiders.

The iffy parts are this:

5. Do I want it to be a last-minute exciting win, or do I want it to be a complete dismantling of the villains? The last-minute wins stick in my memory more, so I guess that's the right answer. But I really enjoy a game where the Chiefs go out and destroy an opponent in every phase of the game.
6. Do I want the dirty cheating opponent to play well or not? It feels good to beat a strong team, but I may not want a strong performance by dirty cheaters. I never wanted to see John Elway or Lester Hayes or Bill Romanowski have a good game. I wanted to see them get humiliated from coin flip to final gun. This is a real dilemma when deciding a favorite game. But in the end, the villains' performance is less important to me than good guys' performance.
7. Obviously a win in a big game is better, but it's not a dealbreaker to me if it's not. However, this question is about the regular season, so it knocks out the great playoff performances of Joe Montana's Chiefs.

If I had to pick a few favorite games, they would be (in no particular order):

- the regular season opener in 1981 where the Chiefs beat Pittsburgh
- the game against the Raiders where Jeff George gave up. (Was that the same game where Leslie O'Neal killed him?)
- the Jamaal Charles massive touchdown game against the Raiders a couple of years ago
- the Larry Johnson last-second run to beat the Raiders a few years back
- Montana beating the salary cap cheaters
- Grbac to Rison over the Raiders
- Vanover over the Chargers
- Hasty's fumble recovery (or was it an interception?) against the Raiders
- Stoyanovich over the cheating Broncos
- Lowery's kick over the AFC champion Bengals
- 8 rushing touchdowns against the Falcons
- This one is up there.

But I think my favorite would have to be the game where the Chiefs finally got into the playoffs in 1986. They had no offense, but a spectacular defense and special teams. They got three touchdowns - a blocked punt, a kickoff return, and a blocked field goal return - to get into the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

Think about how meaningful that game was, and how amazing the scoring was. I was 23 years old and had not seen the Chiefs in a playoff game since I was 8.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2016, 08:45 PM

Like I said only a fan since 2013. Doesn't know nothing about Chiefs history or other games which was superior. Especially two other Denver games - 1994 and 1997.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Stoyo with RR Part 2 blaring

lewdog
11-29-2016, 08:57 PM
The 2014 smashing of the Patriots during the start of the Royals run to the World Series was something I'll never forget. Greatest sports week of my life.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2016, 08:57 PM
There are several better games. It is not even close.

Spott
11-29-2016, 08:59 PM

Or how many games ended on punt returns and interception returns for TD in overtime in the same season?

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2016, 09:02 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ljKiQ8XczI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HFz4ZYJMlH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kjwood75nro
11-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Not as historical, but last year's Broncos game where Peyton broke the pass record...then got benched.

RINGLEADER
11-29-2016, 09:14 PM

Ten minutes into the broadcast and they're already almost halfway through the 3rd quarter. I know most of the "action" took place in the second half/OT, but missed seeing the dominating defenses...

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Ten minutes into the broadcast and they're already almost halfway through the 3rd quarter. I know most of the "action" took place in the second half/OT, but missed seeing the dominating defenses...

What's up with that? I just turned it on and thought I'd see most of the game.

Are we going to have an official game replay thread on this?

Coochie liquor
Montana v Elway was my fave!

KCTitus
Or how many games ended on punt returns and interception returns for TD in overtime in the same season?

1995, I think...

1. 1994 MNF - Montana over Elway
2. 1997 Stoyo's 54 yd FG at the end of the 4th to win
3. 2003 BAL - Hall's KO return for a TD to take the lead with less than 2mins remaining (because I was there)
4. 1995 SD MNF - Vanover's KO return for a TD to win the game late
5. 2016 Doink in Denver
6. 2015 KC's first playoff win in 22 yrs
7. 1993 KC v. Pitt to win Wildcard - first every playoff game I saw KC win.

Just a few off the top of my head.

KCTitus
11-29-2016, 09:19 PM

Wait...this Tiger yokel has only been a KC fan since 2013? It all makes sense now.

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Seriously, check out the box score in this game. It was do or die to get into the playoffs, and look what the special teams did. (The first score was a punt block, by the way.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198612210pit.htm

DaneMcCloud
11-29-2016, 09:23 PM
I only care about the present

KCTitus
11-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Seriously, check out the box score in this game. It was do or die to get into the playoffs, and look what the special teams did. (The first score was a punt block, by the way.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198612210pit.htm

LOL! I remember that, and ol' Frank Gansz (the special teams coach) got promoted to HC and promptly won 2 games the next year.

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 09:27 PM
I only care about the present

I'm looking, and it appears that you posted this in the past.

KC_Lee
11-29-2016, 09:29 PM

I was going to say this one. Back in the days when pounds of weed were being imported and exported at 1 Arrowhead Drive via Vanover and Bam Morris.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Personal one for me was a game I attended in 1981 vs Denver when Joe Delaney became one of my favorite Chiefs of all-time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snica
11-29-2016, 09:33 PM
MNF 1991 KC 33 Buffalo 6

That game was louder than our record breaker too. The coming out party for the Chiefs and Arrowhead.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 09:34 PM
MNF 1991 KC 33 Buffalo 6

I was at that game. Buffalo took one hell of a booing walking back to the locker room after the game. ROFL

RippedmyFlesh
11-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Maybe not he best but a good one.

Washington Redskins at Kansas City Chiefs - October 24th, 1971

Both teams were 5-1 and game was on national tv.
Otis Taylor catches a pass with pat fischer draped all over him 1 handed to win the game 27 to 20.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
I had to go look at the ticket stub but another personal one was the game I took my nephew to on December 9, 1990 vs Denver.

I remember the refs threatening the crowd with a delay of game penalty for too much noise.

It's personal because my nephew died after Christmas that year in a car wreck. It was the last event we attended together. I keep the ticket stub in a frame with the picture of us at the game. Still miss him.

Red Dawg
11-29-2016, 09:40 PM

Otis Taylor catches a pass with pat fischer draped all over him 1 handed to win the game
27 to 20.

The force is strong with this one. Digging deep into the archives.

MeatRock
11-29-2016, 09:41 PM
I had to go look at the ticket stub but another personal one was the game I took my nephew to on December 9, 1990 vs Denver.

I remember the refs threatening the crowd with a delay of game penalty for too much noise.

It's personal because my nephew died after Christmas that year in a car wreck. It was the last event we attended together. I keep the ticket stub in a frame with the picture of us at the game. Still miss him.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear that.

KCTitus
11-29-2016, 09:41 PM

Dude...sorry to hear about your nephew, but I was at that game, yelling my ass off. I had the worst headache that night.

It was my last home KC game I attended. Maybe, one day, I'll get back there.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 09:42 PM

Otis Taylor catches a pass with pat fischer draped all over him 1 handed to win the game
27 to 20.

I think the Redskins were undefeated if memory serves me well.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 09:47 PM

Amongst division rivals fighting for the playoffs? Not that often, actually.

RippedmyFlesh
11-29-2016, 09:50 PM
I think the Redskins were undefeated if memory serves me well.

You are right they were both 5-1 after the game my bad. That catch by taylor was unfuckin believable.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Chiefs @ Packers. Trent Green finds Eddie Kennison deep for a game winning TD in OT to win a shootout in Lambeau Field.

This was such a great game. I think it might have been my favorite before this game on Sunday night. Of course there were a lot of fun blowouts, but these two games were the tops in terms of sheer intensity and winning games that looked extremely improbable late in the game.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
You are right they were both 5-1 after the game my bad. That catch by taylor was unfuckin believable.

I remember a lot about that game. It was George Allen's first season with the Redskins & they were a very good team. Charlie Taylor also had a phenomenal game too.

I watched that game with my grandpa in Iberia where every Chiefs games was shown(home & away). We would always go down there for Chiefs home games. The 1971 team was my favorite Chiefs team of all-time even though the 1969 team won the Super Bowl. IMHO the 1971 was better but it was also more sentimental to me too.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 09:58 PM
This was such a great game. I think it might have been my favorite before this game on Sunday night. Of course there were a lot of fun blowouts, but these two games were the tops in terms of sheer intensity and winning games that looked extremely improbable late in the game.

I jumped out of my recliner when Trent hit Eddie in stride for that TD.

KCTitus
11-29-2016, 09:59 PM

Speaking of blowouts in 2003, the funnest one was the SNF game against Buffalo. Green was chucking the ball all over the field and KC's recievers were running open for long scores.

The funniest thing was on the broadcast, there was this old guy they kept showing that had a red hard hat with a public telephone handset painted red with the metal cord glued to the very top of the helmet and he was just jawing away into that handset.

WilliamTheIrish
11-29-2016, 10:17 PM
There plenty of good ones.

1993 MNF v GB. Montana hurt. Offense sputtering, when big Sal scored a TD after a Favre strip, then laying one of the straight up most vicious hits on Darrell Thompson at the goal line forcing a fumble to preserve the lead in a 23-16 win.

Can't remember who recovered it, but Martin Bayless had a pick that ended up sealing it.

Gary Spani picking up a fumble and rumbling 85 yards yo beat the Raiders back in 78/79. That was fucking great.

kcxiv
11-29-2016, 10:22 PM
As far as pulling out a win out of their ass yes. It's super bad ass to beat a very arrogant cheap shotting team like Denver in their house. Sending home their fans in disbelief is beyond fun. It was a compete surprise but I think kicking the crap out of Brady two years ago was better. Dominated from start to finish.

ya know, to me, its not even the team denver, its more fuck their fans. Them arrogant fucks. I cant stand most of them. So for me, just making them feel bad that they lost to fucking Alex Smith who actually played well at the end of the game makes it even better. I dont know where you go with that! They lost to an alex smith lead comeback. lol

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Looking at over the last 4 years.... Smith has some very notable comeback wins. Panthers, broncos, chargers this year. Buffalo last year and the year prior. Saints game in the NFC division matchup.

I would say the Russell Wilson performance against the Packers to advance to the Superbowl was the greatest thing in that time frame

O.city
11-29-2016, 10:34 PM
The van over return game was one of my better memories of staying up late Monday night to watch and dad let me stay home from school saturday.

The dante return game was awesome. The green bay come back.

But in terms of sheer edge of your seat game, sunday night is up there

RunKC
11-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Looking at over the last 4 years.... Smith has some very notable comeback wins. Panthers, broncos, chargers this year. Buffalo last year and the year prior. Saints game in the NFC division matchup.

I would say the Russell Wilson performance against the Packers to advance to the Superbowl was the greatest thing in that time frame

Panthers? ROFL

splatbass
11-29-2016, 10:45 PM
That was a great game. It was too bad that we couldn't have reached the super bowl with Montana, we came close.

If he hadn't gotten hurt in the AFCCG I think we would have made it.

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 10:54 PM
If he hadn't gotten hurt in the AFCCG I think we would have made it.

and if Kimble Anders had caught the TD pass.

Lex Luthor
11-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Big fucking deal. It's a field goal.

How many games have ended with a HOF quarterback engineering a last minute comeback immediately after the Donkeys' HOF quarterback led HIS team to what they THOUGHT was the comeback victory touchdown? Elway had been doing that shit to the Chiefs for years, and FINALLY the Chiefs got revenge.

Montana over Elway. There is no comparison. The only greater victory was Super Bowl IV.

Otter
11-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Grbac to Rison long to beat the Raiders was a good one to add.

Lex Luthor
11-29-2016, 10:56 PM
It's hard to pick a favorite, but I have one, and it's probably not a common choice.

I feel like my favorite should have the following elements:

1. It's a win. I want to be sure of that.
2. It's against a team that cheats and plays dirty, which pretty much means the Broncos or Raiders.
3. The dirty cheating team has a good record.
4. The Chiefs play well to get the win. I'm less interested in a 4-12 Chiefs win over 2-14 Raiders.

The iffy parts are this:

5. Do I want it to be a last-minute exciting win, or do I want it to be a complete dismantling of the villains? The last-minute wins stick in my memory more, so I guess that's the right answer. But I really enjoy a game where the Chiefs go out and destroy an opponent in every phase of the game.
6. Do I want the dirty cheating opponent to play well or not? It feels good to beat a strong team, but I may not want a strong performance by dirty cheaters. I never wanted to see John Elway or Lester Hayes or Bill Romanowski have a good game. I wanted to see them get humiliated from coin flip to final gun. This is a real dilemma when deciding a favorite game. But in the end, the villains' performance is less important to me than good guys' performance.
7. Obviously a win in a big game is better, but it's not a dealbreaker to me if it's not. However, this question is about the regular season, so it knocks out the great playoff performances of Joe Montana's Chiefs.

If I had to pick a few favorite games, they would be (in no particular order):

- the regular season opener in 1981 where the Chiefs beat Pittsburgh
- the game against the Raiders where Jeff George gave up. (Was that the same game where Leslie O'Neal killed him?)
- the Jamaal Charles massive touchdown game against the Raiders a couple of years ago
- the Larry Johnson last-second run to beat the Raiders a few years back
- Montana beating the salary cap cheaters
- Grbac to Rison over the Raiders
- Vanover over the Chargers
- Hasty's fumble recovery (or was it an interception?) against the Raiders
- Stoyanovich over the cheating Broncos
- Lowery's kick over the AFC champion Bengals
- 8 rushing touchdowns against the Falcons
- This one is up there.

But I think my favorite would have to be the game where the Chiefs finally got into the playoffs in 1986. They had no offense, but a spectacular defense and special teams. They got three touchdowns - a blocked punt, a kickoff return, and a blocked field goal return - to get into the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

Think about how meaningful that game was, and how amazing the scoring was. I was 23 years old and had not seen the Chiefs in a playoff game since I was 8.
The problem was that in the playoffs they lost to a Jets team that had lost their last 5 regular season games after a 10-1 start. Kind of spoiled the joy of getting into the playoffs.

splatbass
11-29-2016, 11:03 PM

Otis Taylor catches a pass with pat fischer draped all over him 1 handed to win the game 27 to 20.

My 10th birthday. I remember the game.

jettio
11-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Chiefs @ Steelers
Chiefs make playoffs for first time in 15 years as they win 24-19
Their 3 TDs on the road were a defensive TD, a blocked FG return for a TD and I think a blocked punt return for a TD. Finally making the playoffs meant so much. This game was so important to a long suffering fan base.

I think all special teams TDs and ST coach Frank Ganzs get Head Coaching job in palace coup.

I think Boyce Green had a kickoff return TD and no defense TD, but I think you are right about the FG block and punt block.

New World Order
11-29-2016, 11:17 PM

LMAO

C'mon man

EPodolak
11-29-2016, 11:19 PM
For a poorly played offensive game it turned out pretty memorable. Elway v. Montana was a great game and finish though, as I recall.

frozenchief
11-29-2016, 11:21 PM

MNF v Elway
Bills @ home 33-6

All good games but don't forget the pasting we put on the Oilers in the playoffs when someone (forgot who right now) threw the ball into that homemade banner with Buddy Ryan's face. That was a good game.

suzzer99
11-29-2016, 11:25 PM

This - because I saw it live. Everyone in my row was hugging each other - including random strangers. So awesome.

88TG88
11-29-2016, 11:26 PM
Probably been mentioned 100 times, but the MNF win against Brady when he got benched. Finally found out what it was like to gloat.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2016, 11:46 PM
Did bob really just credit the Panthers comeback to Alex ROFL

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 11:53 PM

**** i don't know now.

I thought the Chiefs had a narrow lead and the Chargers were deep in Chiefs territory basically just killing time off the clock for the field goal, but Rivers fumbled the snap.

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 11:54 PM
The problem was that in the playoffs they lost to a Jets team that had lost their last 5 regular season games after a 10-1 start. Kind of spoiled the joy of getting into the playoffs.

It was disappointing to lose, but not nearly as disappointing as it was to finally make a playoff game. The 70s and early 80s were no fun.

MMXcalibur
11-30-2016, 12:09 AM
I remember watching the Montana/Elway duel on MNF a long, LONG time ago....and honestly, I think last Sunday's was the best Chiefs/Broncos game. It had a little bit of everything and multiple times when I felt KC's goose was cooked. The MNF game I only felt the Chiefs were done for near the end, but last Sunday....hell, the entire 4th quarter was depressing, even when Alex and the offense were driving. I never, ever thought they'd tie the game against that defense, especially needing a 2-point conversion at the end to do it.

All time? That Chiefs/Browns game when Dwayne Rudd went batshit insane at the end was a roller coaster, but I still would have to give the edge to the Chiefs/Donks game simply because of the rivalry. Losing to Cleveland in Week 1? Ho hum, we're 0-1. Losing to the hated Denver Broncos in Week 12 with both teams tied and needing to keep pace with Oakland? Woof, can't lose this one.

temper11
11-30-2016, 12:12 AM
If I turn down the sound so I don't have to listen to Collinsworth, and get the KCFX feed-I will watch

I usually can't stand Collinsworth, but I thought he did a pretty good job during this game.

Psyko Tek
11-30-2016, 12:17 AM

you just have no clue do you?

temper11
11-30-2016, 12:26 AM
Like I said only a fan since 2013. Doesn't know nothing about Chiefs history or other games which was superior. Especially two other Denver games - 1994 and 1997.

The question was specific to the person, not "was it the best Chiefs win of all time". It was certainly the best game for me since I've only really been paying attention to the Chiefs, as you accused Tiger of, since 2013.

It was a fantastic game. The range of emotion from the time the ball hooking left, to the doink, to the one pole judge signaling the kick was good... well, that's why we watch.

Baby Lee
11-30-2016, 12:33 AM
All good games but don't forget the pasting we put on the Oilers in the playoffs when someone (forgot who right now) threw the ball into that homemade banner with Buddy Ryan's face. That was a good game.

Just following the dictates of the thread starter. Best REGULAR season I've ever seen.

frozenchief
11-30-2016, 02:10 AM
Just following the dictates of the thread starter. Best REGULAR season I've ever seen.

I missed that word. Good eye.

But you have to admit it was a helluva game.

threebag
11-30-2016, 03:37 AM

Keith Cash i believe

Rausch
11-30-2016, 04:03 AM
:thumb:Keith Cash i believe

AJKCFAN
11-30-2016, 06:29 AM
I think all special teams TDs and ST coach Frank Ganzs get Head Coaching job in palace coup.

I think Boyce Green had a kickoff return TD and no defense TD, but I think you are right about the FG block and punt block.

Know something you're right. Dug this up. I forgot how close the Chiefs were from hosting the Wild Card game that year vs. Cincinnati. Cincinnati and Seattle were really good teams who missed out on playoffs. Also it was sweet to win at Pittsburgh. Even though they were poor that year it was still the Steelers and to earn a playoff spot on the road there was better than say winning on the road vs. the Oilers.

I also believe it's the last time the Chiefs have won in Pittsburgh? If I'm wrong, when since did they beat them there?

PITTSBURGH — The Kansas City Chiefs, overcoming an offense that generated only three points, scored three first-half touchdowns on special teams plays and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-19, Sunday to advance to the NFL playoffs for the first time since 1971.

Deron Cherry fell on a blocked punt in the end zone to account for a first-quarter touchdown and Boyce Green and Lloyd Burruss scored in the second quarter on a 97-yard kickoff return and a 78-yard return of a blocked field goal, respectively.

The Chiefs' offense, which produced only a 47-yard Nick Lowery field goal, was outgained 515 yards to 171 and generated only eight first downs to the Steelers' 28. But the Chiefs, who led 24-6 at halftime, held on to win despite failing to score in the second half.

"We did it the same way we have done it all year, with special teams and defense," said Chief Coach John Mackovic. "Our offense wasn't that good. But I feel great because people didn't think we could make it to the playoffs."

With Kansas City leading, 17-6, in the final minute of the first half, the Steelers had a first and goal at the Chiefs' three. Tight end Preston Gothard and running back Rich Erenberg dropped consecutive passes in the end zone before Earnest Jackson was stopped for a yard gain by Dino Hackett.

Nose tackle Bill Maas then blocked Gary Anderson's 19-yard field goal attempt, and Burruss scooped up the ball at the Chiefs' 22 and raced into the end zone untouched for his fourth touchdown of the season. The Pro Bowl safety has three interception return scores.

The Chiefs are 10-6, only their second winning record in 13 seasons. The Steelers finished 6-10, their second consecutive losing season.

"If someone had told me we'd have 515 yards to their 171, I'd have said we were a shoo-in," said Steeler Coach Chuck Noll. "I think this shows the importance of getting the job done on special teams plays. We gave up three touchdowns and that did us in."

The Steelers lost even though quarterback Mark Malone completed 22 of 43 passes for 351 yards and ran 9 yards for a third-quarter touchdown.

Kansas City will play Cincinnati or the New York Jets in the AFC wild-card game. If New England beats the Miami Dolphins tonight, the Patriots will win the AFC East title and the Chiefs will play the Jets at East Rutherford, N.J., next Sunday.

If Miami wins, New England will be eliminated and the Jets will be the AFC East champions. Kansas City then would play host to Cincinnati in the wild-card game.

The Steelers, concluding their worst season since they finished 5-9 in 1970, had a chance to win when they marched to a first down at the Chiefs' 33 with 2:30 to play in the game. But Malone's off-balance pass was intercepted by cornerback Albert Lewis.

Spott
11-30-2016, 06:57 AM
The opener against the Browns back in 2002 was pretty sweet, even though we only went 8-8 that year.

TEX
11-30-2016, 07:31 AM
No - but it's a close 2nd in my book.
I think 1993 MNF KC at Den was better. Montana vs Elway was a pretty big deal that lived up to the hype.

ct
11-30-2016, 08:10 AM
no doubt it was a great game with a great finish, but i can't vote that as the best ever when my chiefs offense looked like dogshit most of the game. and not all of it was denver's great D, it was a chicken shit qb with his tail b/n his legs most of the game. I definitely did not enjoy that.

splatbass
11-30-2016, 08:46 AM
I usually can't stand Collinsworth, but I thought he did a pretty good job during this game.

I think he is annoying most of the time, but he called it that Hill didn't have control on that TD until the ball was over the goal line. I missed that because I was just looking at where his knee went down.

Eleazar
11-30-2016, 08:49 AM
No, it was a train wreck that an average head coach and QB would have won in regulation, probably by multiple scores

TEX
11-30-2016, 09:07 AM
I think he is annoying most of the time, but he called it that Hill didn't have control on that TD until the ball was over the goal line. I missed that because I was just looking at where his knee went down.

Was an amazing catch when you consider that the defender came over the top and hit Hill's head pretty hard way before the ball got there. If you get a chance, go back and watch it again and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hill earned that one for sure.

Rooster
11-30-2016, 09:09 AM

That was a fun day. Royals home game in the afternoon. Walk back to the truck and change to my jersey and start tailgating for MNF. I had to pace myself that day to make it through. :D

splatbass
11-30-2016, 09:14 AM
No, it was a train wreck that an average head coach and QB would have won in regulation, probably by multiple scores

Andy is 172–121–1 for his career. 13th all time and still going. He is anything but average.

Chiefnj2
11-30-2016, 09:17 AM
The first 58 minutes contained some of the worst and most futile offensive production KC fans have ever been forced to watch. No way the remaining 2 minutes and OT becomes the best regular season game ever.

FloridaMan88
11-30-2016, 09:24 AM
No, because I like offense.

My favorite regular season games include the Chiefs 54-34 win over the Greatest Show on Turf Rams in 2000, the Chiefs 45-35 win over Manning and the Colts in 2004 and the Chiefs OT win over Green Bay in 2003 (with the Trent Green playaction pass to Eddie Kennison to win the game).

Nzoner
11-30-2016, 09:58 AM
49ers @ Chiefs.
Montana beats Young 24-17 in Arrowhead in most anticipated regular season game the Chiefs have ever played in. DT stole the show with 4 sacks and won the game off possibly the best 49ers team of all.

DT's most memorable moment of that game IMO was when the 9er's were on like their own 3 and DT looked at the crowd and made the safety sign.On the next play he delivered his prediction and nailed Young in the endzone.

Nzoner
11-30-2016, 10:06 AM
I've been to a lot of BIG games in person but put me down for another Montana vs. Elway vote.I can't even begin to explain the elation of being in Mile High that night surrounded by arrogant donk fans and getting the last laugh.

I was with a group called Chiefs Travel and I'll never forget leaving there with all of us Doing the tomahawk chop.

scho63
11-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Monday Night Football always has this as one of their top 5 games ever! Fans voted it the 2nd or 3rd greatest ever.

It was incredible. One moment you are in deep despair and depression as horseface pulls another comeback to take the lead as he had done so many times against the Chiefs. Then we see one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game life the entire Chiefs team on his back and march down the field to hit Willie Davis on a corner route with a fantastic catch and sneaking his feet in to steal the win. The fact it was in Denver made it even sweeter to steal a win in their home!

Chief_For_Life58
11-30-2016, 04:33 PM
not the best because we didnt blow them out by 60 points. But i think one of my favorites was that win against the broncos back in like 2009 when we beat them last game of the season charles had like 300 yards and we kept them out the postseason.

The Franchise
11-30-2016, 05:32 PM

Chiefs thread.....and this dipshit starts in with Alex.

If you think Clay is bad....then this fucking moron is right alongside him.

The Franchise
11-30-2016, 05:33 PM
1. Montana/Elway MNF
2. Monday night season opener vs. the Chargers in 2010. Extra special because it was my first game at Arrowhead.

OnTheWarpath15
11-30-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure it's the best game this season.

BoneKrusher
11-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Yea, that was the best.

Yeah that Willie Davis TD in the 4th quarter was the bomb. i liked the MNF Game vs Sandy Eggo where Vanover run the kick back for the TD. That was a pretty awesome game to.

suzzer99
11-30-2016, 07:45 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uM33IOMxC_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vanover TD starts at :27. We were in the club level front row of that end zone (the same one Walker scored to tie it in). So awesome.

KCTitus
11-30-2016, 08:32 PM

If you think Clay is bad....then this ****ing moron is right alongside him.

I learned that Tigger is only a fan since 2013...he knows nothing but Alex and Andy

splatbass
11-30-2016, 09:15 PM
No, because I like offense.

My favorite regular season games include the Chiefs 54-34 win over the Greatest Show on Turf Rams in 2000, the Chiefs 45-35 win over Manning and the Colts in 2004 and the Chiefs OT win over Green Bay in 2003 (with the Trent Green playaction pass to Eddie Kennison to win the game).

People don't appreciate a great defensive battle anymore. I find it sad. I also don't like that the NFL changed the rules so that DBs aren't allowed to defend anymore just to get high scores for people with short attention spans and fantasy football fans.

Chief Pagan
11-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Broncos @ Chiefs
The Pete Stoyanovich game. Kicks a game inning 54 yard FG on last play of game in the cold which just cleared the crossbar and Chiefs win 16-14 which really led to ten winning the division.

I really remember this one because I watched it in a Denver sports bar. IIRC, Gannon was in for an injured Grbac, we have no timeouts, third down, and are a little out of field goal range. Gannon is trying to change the play before the snap and gets a delay of game. Oh crap. (Gannon later said that he thought that if they had snapped it he would have been sacked and game over.)

He completes a ten-yard pass or so in the field of play. It is fourth down, so we can't spike it and there are only 20 seconds or so on the clock. Special teams runs out and hikes the ball as time expires. Even after it went through, I was afraid they were going to call delay of game.

Easy 6
11-30-2016, 09:28 PM
The first 58 minutes contained some of the worst and most futile offensive production KC fans have ever been forced to watch. No way the remaining 2 minutes and OT becomes the best regular season game ever.

This

MeatRock
11-30-2016, 11:16 PM

If you think Clay is bad....then this ****ing moron is right alongside him.

ROFL
This idiot is beyond Clay's bullshit. No doubt about it. He is the super Alex Smith troll, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-30-2016, 11:21 PM
ROFL
This idiot is beyond Clay's bullshit. No doubt about it. He is the super Alex Smith troll, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Team special ed still doesn't have me on ignore. How adorable.

I bet you feel dumb as **** after last week's rant about how our team sucks

MeatRock
11-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Team special ed still doesn't have me on ignore. How adorable.

I bet you feel dumb as **** after last week's rant about how our team sucks

Why would I? I love laughing at you! :LOL:

MeatRock
11-30-2016, 11:28 PM
I don't have anyone on ignore because i have a pair of BALLS!

rabblerouser
12-01-2016, 07:03 AM

**** i don't know now.

Rivers' fumble was Halloween 2011 on MNF at Arrowhead.

I was there and had to be back in Columbia at the BCoD...good times

Rasputin
12-01-2016, 08:13 AM
I was at the game Dante Hall returned the infamous punt for a game winning touchdown in the fourth quarter. Holy Shit Balls that was exciting. After the game I did the Booker T spin~a~roony .

But my favorite game had to be the 56-10 thumping of the Falcons with (8) that's 8 rushing touchdowns infuckingcredible! I was there too.

rabblerouser
12-01-2016, 09:34 AM
People don't appreciate a great defensive battle anymore. I find it sad. I also don't like that the NFL changed the rules so that DBs aren't allowed to defend anymore just to get high scores for people with short attention spans and fantasy football fans.

Thank you, it had to be said; this, x1000. So much this...

rabblerouser
12-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Andy is 172–121–1 for his career. 13th all time and still going. He is anything but average.

Umm, out of 300 games, he's won 50 more than he's lost.

With no SB victory. That is BLATANTLY average.

I bet Schotty has a Better win %

Nzoner
12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Does anyone remember a game in the early 90's against the Browns at Arrowhead when it rained the entire game?I remember the stealth flying over because it was so dark and cloudy and just appeared out of the clouds but what made the game so memorable was the Browns were driving for the win late in the 4th and DT busted through I believe sacking Kosar and causing him to fumble and then getting the fumble to seal the win.

Spott
12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Does anyone remember a game in the early 90's against the Browns at Arrowhead when it rained the entire game?I remember the stealth flying over because it was so dark and cloudy and just appeared out of the clouds but what made the game so memorable was the Browns were driving for the win late in the 4th and DT busted through I believe sacking Kosar and causing him to fumble and then getting the fumble to seal the win.

That was in 94. I had season tickets that year and it seemed like it rained every game.

threebag
12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Bernie Kosar he should have had a better resume. Too bad he played for the browns.

rabblerouser
12-01-2016, 11:15 AM
That was in 94. I had season tickets that year and it seemed like it rained every game that year.

Let's forget about the Rams game that year...

Speaking of rain : vSeattle, 1998?

I was there. Hole. E. Shit.