PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game: Week 13

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Ten Things About Today’s Game: Week 13

10. Last night my BBQ Buddy Mr. Doggity’s daughter got married out in Greenwood. At the reception, people kept asking me how I thought today's game would go. I said “depends on whether Maclin plays or not. If not, we probably lose by a field goal.” My good pal Gary flew out Friday to go to the game in Atlanta. When Gary goes on the road to watch the Chiefs, they usually lose. He’s terrible road luck. My wife asked me what I thought would happen when the game came on. I said “KC are 4 point road dogs, I think Atlanta wins by 3.” She bet me a dollar KC would win. When Andy knelt on the ball at the end, I dug a dollar out of my wallet, handed it to my wife and went to the computer to write the Ten Things. Best dollar I've spent this week. As we’ve said many times this year, it’s better to win lucky than play beautifully and lose. This was an enjoyable game to watch with all the weird twists and turns, but for the long term, I see some dire warning signs for January. Not to be Debbie Downer, but there’s several tangible things that concern me as we go forward. We’ll balance that out against all the great things that happened today. One point wins will have two sides of a coin.

9. When the game started, it looked like it would be a track meet. Jones-Jones-Jones right down the frickin’ field. It looks like Atlanta’s offense is based on four ingredients: Jones long, slant passes to everyone else, getting DPI on the opposition, and Freeman breaking tackles. Freeman had 56 yards and two TDs, which sounds like a good day, and normally would be. I’m sure most times Atlanta scores 28 at home they win. Today there was enough weirdness - just enough - to make it an extra point too far.

8. The tale of the tape is very interesting. Atlanta ran 66 plays to KC’s 48. That means the defense is on the field a lot. Too much, really, especially after coming off a five quarter OT game. Falcons had 31 first downs. That’s a lot. Almost twice as many as KC. Falcons got six of those first downs on penalties. KC got ZERO first downs on penalties. Two things offset: Atlanta got the benefit of penalty yards; KC was penalized 13 times for 128 yards. That’s almost a 100 yard advantage (Falcons had 5 penalties for 30 yards). Perhaps that’s home cooking for Atlanta. What offset that was Atlanta’s failure in the red zone and on fourth down. In the third quarter Atlanta went for it on fourth down in the red zone, Zombo broke it up, and KC got the ball. That was the first time in 45 drives Atlanta had not scored when entering into the red zone. Think about that. KC is the next to worst team in the NFL in red zone conversion. Go figure. That's the NFL.

7. KC forced Atlanta to settle for two 20 yard field goals in the first half instead of getting TDs. After the Midget got his first PAT blocked, KC hung in there, escaping the first quarter only down by four. One of the things that may be foreboding for the future is, KC has a difficult time winning if they don’t get points from defense, or special teams, or both. Today KC got 16 of their 29 points on plays made outside the offense. Alex’s offense only generated 13 points. KC’s offense is 27th in the NFL. The only thing that offsets that is, the defense is #1 in the NFL in turnover margin. We take the ball away, we do it a lot, and nobody does it better.

6. What to think of Alex today? Atlanta’s dead last in the NFL giving up passing yards. They average giving up 282 per game. Alex threw for 270, which isn’t bad, but is less than what most teams do against the Falcons. He did complete 15 straight passes, but then in the fourth quarter broke that streak with two horrific incomplete passes. This is the second foreboding: Alex will not hit the kill shot when you need it. On First and 10, Alex throws long for Conley, who has a step on his defender. Alex short arms the pass, Conley has to wait on it, and it’s broken up. Then two plays later, Alex overthrows a wide open Ware who had burned the linebacker leaking out of the backfield. It’s an easy throw, and Alex wet his pants. That could have blown the game wide open. Makes me worry that if we get into a tight playoff game where Alex needs to hit an open receiver to win a game, he’ll choke. I guess on the more optimistic side, Alex did hit Ware in stride on a fourth and goal for a TD, and on the Chiefs last drive, hit Albert Wilson across the middle for the critical first down to ice the game. I just worry about an offense that only scores 13 points, and how long we can play with that kind of fire? Eventually that will stick to Andy's face.

5. Alex was only sacked once today, so kudos to the line for that. Still, too many holding penalties, and by the way, if you’re going to hold, then HOLD. Schwartz got beat on a speed rush, held the blitzer, got flagged, and the guy still got to Alex to force a fumble, our only turnover for the day. If you’re going to hold the guy, then damn it, pull him down and get the man out of the play. Having a block in the back on the last drive to start on the nine yard line was another stupid play. Luckily, Andy’s staff was able to do some basic subtraction on the sideline, and after Wilson got the final first down, was able to figure they could kneel on the ball and win the game. Wish they would have talked Andy into that three years ago in that playoff game vs. Andrew Luck. Another big play was Andy forcing Atlanta to burn a time out in the second half, doing a no-huddle on a fourth and two. We ended up fake punting, and burning that time out ultimately cost Atlanta the game. Well done coaching staff. Speaking of Albert Wilson, he was the offensive and special teams player of the week. Wilson gets four grabs for 48 yards, all tough catches across the middle, and he gets the 55 yard scamper on the fake punt. Wilson played his college football in that stadium, and it had to be a career memory day for him. Kudos to the special teams for pulling off the play, especially since they got little from Colquitt or from Hill on special teams today. Hill only had five touches, and averaged 11 yards per play. We need to use him much more.

4. We didn’t get much out of Dee Ford or Houston. Houston had one early sack, the other sack was by Hali. Julio Jones and Kelce offset each other. Kelce had 140 yards, Jones had 113 and probably would have gotten more had he not been injured in the fourth quarter. Peters played well, dropped a possible pick. Ron Parker and Ramik Wilson missed a bunch of tackles, as did DJ, but DJ led the team with nine solo stops. I’m surprised Ryan didn’t pick on Terrance Mitchell more. Considering how good Atlanta’s offense is, playing indoors on a fast track, the defense did a pretty good job.

3. Of course the undisputed star of the game was Eric Berry. What a story book game for him. Atlanta is his hometown. He did his cancer rehab in Atlanta. His mom and dad are in the stands. He gets a game changing 37-yard pick six to flip the game in the first half, then seals the win with a 102 yard two point conversion pick -first time that’s happened in NFL history- and he gives one ball to him mom, and one ball to his dad. Since we franchise tagged Berry this season, it will be interesting to see what Dorsey does with him next year. He is the soul of this defense, like a Ronnie Lott or a Charles Woodson. You need to keep this guy and make him a Chief for life.

2. Big props to Andy and the coaching staff. They adjusted well. KC got down early, adjusted, hung in there, and Andy rolled the dice several times. Chiefs were 2 for 2 on fourth down, pulled off a fake punt, always seemed to be just slightly one step ahead of Atlanta’s coaches. Andy also forced Atlanta to burn timeouts in the second half; and bled the Falcons to death after the two minute warning. You can argue that Matt Ryan beat the Falcons with the pick six and the botched two point interception. But if Atlanta’s kicker Bryant doesn’t hit a 59-yard field goal right before half, the complexion of the final three minutes may have been much different.

1. So we squeeze out another nail biter win and go to 9-3. Hard to believe 9-3 isn’t good enough to lead the division, but that’s what Thursday night will be all about. I’ve heard it’s going to be cold. That’s good. As I’m writing this, Buffalo is leading Oakland, but who knows how that will turn out? When you think about the Chiefs three losses: Houston and Pittsburgh on the road, and Tampa Bay at home, it makes you shake your head. Houston is a .500 team. Pittsburgh and Tampa both chasing a playoff spot. We did a big favor for Tampa today. Pittsburgh is chasing the Ravens. With Gronk most likely out for the year, the AFC is up for grabs more this year now than ever. It will be a short week, but an exciting week. Thursday night should be a classic Chiefs-Raiders match up. I hope Maclin will be back and will make a difference, and Houston and Ford can get some pressure on Carr. I’m excited, and hope the home crowd brings some passion. See you at the yard Thursday!

Spott
12-04-2016, 04:36 PM
In

SAUTO
12-04-2016, 04:42 PM
FUCK YES. Nice write up George, as usual.

Great fucking win on the road today. If Alex would have hit either pass late no one would have anything to bitch about

big nasty kcnut
12-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Great read George.

GloucesterChief
12-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Remember we lost to Houston at Houston where they were much better and before JJ Watt broke his back again.

Meatloaf
12-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Another great summary, George. Just love reading your work. Excellent and thanks!!!

Kman34
12-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I agree about Berry.. Chief for life.. I think he's earned it....

pugsnotdrugs19
12-04-2016, 04:45 PM
The trio of Houston/Ford/Hali needs to be unleashed Thursday night.

We have Jones and Poe too on the inside? Not even fair. Just an embarrassment of riches in terms of pass rush. Praying they stay healthy.

TimeForWasp
12-04-2016, 04:47 PM
In

tmax63
12-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Was Atlanta's running backs that greasy or did it seem like they didn't tackle for s***t today. Between giving them 125 yards on penalties and what seemed like that much on yards after contact I'm still amazed they pulled this one off.

Baby Lee
12-04-2016, 04:48 PM
A sweet irony is that Santos' biff on the xp led to the 2pt try which was the difference.

Tied late, the Birds kick to lead and we have to drive for a FG w/3min.

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Was Atlanta's running backs that greasy or did it seem like they didn't tackle for s***t today. Between giving them 125 yards on penalties and what seemed like that much on yards after contact I'm still amazed they pulled this one off.

Freeman is a good back, but KC missed a shit load of tackles, especially in the first half.

ptlyon
12-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Only bet a dollar? No BJ? WTF?

Trivers
Excellent read!

Impressed with banged up DL.

threebag
Thanks Gblowfish, great read as always.

:thumb:

InChiefsHeaven
I couldn't believe we went for it on 4th down TWICE...that made me believe that Andy decided not to fuck around anymore. Hopefully we don't get into those situations very often, but if we do, maybe he'll pull the trigger. I dunno, it was just nice to see the offense clicking for most of the day, sans penalties of course.

RunKC
12-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Good points George.

It looked like we were trying to keep our guys fresh for next week.

-lots of Zombo and Tamba. Not a lot of snaps for Houston or Ford (easing him back from his hammy?).
-Gaines out
-Poe was rotating a lot
-Maclin held out
-lot of rotation work for Jones.

Looks like a great approach by the staff. They really trust the depth on this team.

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 04:52 PM

it's not my birthday....

Chief Northman
12-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Ramik Wilson got pushed around today. Methinks ILB will be a draft priority this year, given that DJ isn't getting any younger and finding a steady presence to play beside DJ has been a bit of a crapshoot the last number of years. Losing Bailey and Howard has also hurt the run defense.

frozenchief
Thanks for the report. I'm flying down from Alaska to see Thursday's game. Hopefully I'll bring good luck.

threebag

He should have held out. Mrs. Blowfish make him work it off in trade.

2bikemike
12-04-2016, 04:55 PM
What more can you say. This team just keeps coming up with ways to win! Whether its Special Teams, Defense or Offense, somebody does something to put the team in a position to win.

A Two Point Conversion Interception for the go ahead score and win! Really!

Off Season Priortiy...Get Berry signed long term!

siberian khatru
12-04-2016, 04:56 PM
That may be one of the quickest Ten Things ever

Baby Lee
12-04-2016, 04:58 PM
That may be one of the quickest Ten Things ever

No BJs to delay him.

Easy 6
12-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Excellent observations today, Mr Blowfish

It really was a weird win considering all of the numbers stacked against us that almost invariably equal a loss... 13 drive killing penalties to their 5 and 0 of those 5 for first downs, the 66 plays to our 48 etc... just a whole host of things that cost most teams the game

Interesting little fact about Wilson playing his college ball down there, didnt know that... maybe that comfortability in those confines helped him have such a good day

Major agreement on the coaching staff, this was their best all around effort of the season... they made several great, key decisions

Yeah man, Berry or Poe... what an awful decision Dorsey has to make, but Berry was playing in outer space today, communicating with aliens and shit

Great stuff today, gave us plenty to ponder... thanks man

Frosty
12-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Completely random post but didn't have anywhere else to post it:

I dislike CBS' color coded ticker when they decide to go gold for the Chiefs. I don't know how many times I thought "penalty" when that thing popped up, though some of that was conditioning from from all the actual penalties (JFC, Fisher).

Buehler445
12-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Outstanding read on all parts, George.

I too sometimes get worried about aspects of the game, but taking a step back, there aren't many teams that are sound in three aspects.

Atlanta is good and can really beat on guys, but their D is shit.
Seattle recently scored 3 points in an entire game.
Dallas has played nobody and like us is eeking out wins.
Donk Can't Score
Faid can't defend.
Pitt is as inconsistent as we are.
Balt is only recently not looking like hogwash

NE is really the only team that looks balanced and they lost one of the best players in the league.

So I'm really bad about focusing on the bad stuff and worrying about the sustainability, but the NFL is pretty garbage on the whole. I'm trying to take a step back and enjoy the ride, and this one was damned fun.

We beat a good team, on the east coast, on the road. I'll take that 10 times out of 10.

On the other side of it, I'm normally one to go for 2, but man, to lose the game on that play is TOUGH. I would be pissed if I were a douche Falcons fan that they didn't put more effort in the pursuit. Berry is a hell of an athlete, but he's not faster than everyone. That drastic of result might start to change some minds about going for 2.

Good win.

Frosty
12-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Yeah man, Berry or Poe... what an awful decision Dorsey has to make, but Berry was playing in outer space today, communicating with aliens and shit

If Poe's back problems become chronic, I would be okay with letting him go.

Easy 6
12-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Also, I get the worry about the offense only scoring 13 points against a bad defense, BELIEVE ME... but looking at Smiffs stats over at NFL.com and other than wanting to see another touchdown from him, Smiff was at peak effeciency

21 of 25 with no picks is machinelike, if unspectacular

The Franchise
12-04-2016, 05:11 PM
No way was Wilson offensive player of the week. That goes to Kelce.

Easy 6
If Poe's back problems become chronic, I would be okay with letting him go.

The big man sure didnt look hurt today

TigeRRUppeRRcut
George #6 is ridiculous considering the passes he made to beat Denver

Chieficus
12-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Another big play was Andy forcing Atlanta to burn a time out in the second half, doing a no-huddle on a fourth and two. We ended up punting, but burning that time out ultimately cost Atlanta the game. Well done coaching staff.

I thought it was after that time out that we ran the fake punt?--am I thinking of the wrong play?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Not to forget how penalties cost us over 120 yards... Easily the worst aspect of our game today

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I thought it was after that time out that we ran the fake punt?--am I thinking of the wrong play?

You are right, they called the fake punt out of Atlanta's time out. I should have said "they lined up to punt...:

ping2000
12-04-2016, 05:21 PM
These are the columns Adam Teicher can't write. Nice job George.

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 05:21 PM

Ridiculous?

Did he miss Ware, or did he not miss Ware?

Also, did Ryan miss his tight end in the fourth quarter? Third and 1 with seven minutes left, he hits his tight end in stride, wide open, for 42 yards.

Ryan waited until the two point conversion to wet his pants.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Ridiculous?

Did he miss Ware, or did he not miss Ware?

Also, did Ryan miss his tight end in the fourth quarter? Third and 1 with seven minutes left, he hits his tight end in stride, wide open, for 42 yards.

Ryan waited until the two point conversion to wet his pants.

You're saying he can't make passes down the stretch despite two late game wins against division rivals this season...I mean last week he had to hit Hill on 4th and ten, the two point conversion, and two drives in overtime. And that was against the #1 pass defense.

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 05:27 PM
I know you've got a man chub for Alex, but he scored 13 frickin' points today. There's going to be games where the Specials and Defense do not out-score the offense.

arrwheader
12-04-2016, 05:30 PM
What shocks me is the offense actually looked capable on this game. Andy Reid actually looked like a great coach with his play calls and over all the team executed pretty well today on the road to beat a high flying offense and people are still bitching about this team. I'm pretty tired of it and god damn just enjoy the Win for once. Another tough fought road game against one of the leagues best offenses. Not many of us thought this was a W today and it was.Gettin sick of all the nit picking bitching around here. Starting to sound ungrateful that we're in position to take the division and possible the 1 seed in the playoffs. Two words. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simply Red
12-04-2016, 05:32 PM
We'll be fine.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-04-2016, 05:34 PM
I know you've got a man chub for Alex, but he scored 13 frickin' points today. There's going to be games where the Specials and Defense do not out-score the offense.

So you direct blame at him when his team committed over 120 yards worth of penalties. He threw for 85%completion meanwhile Ware only got 2 yards a carry.

Conley missed a perfect pass today too that would have been a huge gain.

But one missed pass by Smith and we are concerned if he's clutch? Just silly to say after a clutch performance at mile high

HemiEd
12-04-2016, 05:36 PM
You are right, they called the fake punt out of Atlanta's time out. I should have said "they lined up to punt...:

That is the point I was going to bring up, great job George!

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Anyways, no point in arguing. If we clean up our mistakes, play our game, and protect the ball we will dominate Oakland

cabletech94
12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
love reading these as much as i enjoy a chiefs win!!

time to beat those stinking raiders!!

goooooooooooooo chiefs!

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 05:44 PM
But one missed pass by Smith and we are concerned if he's clutch? Just silly to say after a clutch performance at mile high

Yeah, Alex never fails in the clutch....
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/33cwz0l/9)

He was good today,except when he missed a wide open TD that would have sealed the game in the fourth quarter.

The Franchise
12-04-2016, 05:51 PM
So you direct blame at him when his team committed over 120 yards worth of penalties. He threw for 85%completion meanwhile Ware only got 2 yards a carry.

Conley missed a perfect pass today too that would have been a huge gain.

2 bad passes by Smith....on the same drive.

Buehler445
12-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Did Justin Houston make it out in one piece? He wasn't in much at the end and he had a bum shoulder to start.

gblowfish
12-04-2016, 05:55 PM
What shocks me is the offense actually looked capable on this game. Andy Reid actually looked like a great coach with his play calls and over all the team executed pretty well today on the road to beat a high flying offense and people are still bitching about this team. I'm pretty tired of it and god damn just enjoy the Win for once. Another tough fought road game against one of the leagues best offenses. Not many of us thought this was a W today and it was.Gettin sick of all the nit picking bitching around here. Starting to sound ungrateful that we're in position to take the division and possible the 1 seed in the playoffs. Two words. Enjoy it.

I understand this sentiment completely. Believe me, I'm grateful every time we win. I'm just seeing things that make me worry what's going to happen if and when we get in a playoff. Having the 27th ranked offense in the NFL is not a good sign going into December. We've won despite the offense.

KCTitus
12-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Completely random post but didn't have anywhere else to post it:

I dislike CBS' color coded ticker when they decide to go gold for the Chiefs. I don't know how many times I thought "penalty" when that thing popped up, though some of that was conditioning from from all the actual penalties (JFC, Fisher).

Heh...I'll see you a random post and raise you one..

Watching RedZone, and they were all over the KC/ATL game from the beginning and was their default game if there wasnt any other game in the red zone. Once KC took the lead, all that shit stopped. The game suddenly became an after thought.

T-post Tom
12-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Good post as usual. Only thing I'd add is that Berry isn't a shutdown corner. And the Chiefs shouldn't pay him like one...if that's his asking price. That said, I hope the 2 sides come to an apt agreement that makes sense for both sides.

stevieray
12-04-2016, 06:14 PM
all QB's miss wide open WR's

Earthling
12-04-2016, 06:15 PM
I felt better, and had much less cussing about our offense today, than I have for the last 3 or 4 games. Personally I enjoyed the shit out of this game.

Buehler445
12-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Good post as usual. Only thing I'd add is that Berry isn't a shutdown corner. And the Chiefs shouldn't pay him like one...if that's his asking price. That said, I hope the 2 sides come to apt agreement that makes sense for both sides.

Agreed. Overpaying for FA is not how good teams win. I've said it before, and people don't seem to understand; it's about getting a return (production) on money spent. Its why SEA was good, they were getting tremendous production on not much payroll, so they could pay guys.

Overpaying you just hamstrings you on depth.

Sandy Vagina
12-04-2016, 06:19 PM
We've won despite the offense.

What a stupid thing to say. You can say that the D and STs do more.. but in a complementary team game, this comment is ****ing ignorant.. and what I thought to be beneath you.

Pointer19
12-04-2016, 06:22 PM
All eleven are great. :D Thanks George!

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Since we franchise tagged Berry this season, it will be interesting to see what Dorsey does with him next year. He is the soul of this defense, like a Ronnie Lott or a Charles Woodson. You need to keep this guy and make him.

Respectfully disagree. Both of the playerss you mentioned were allowed to walk by their original teams. We fall in love wth players too much.

Let him go and find another. That's the job of a GM.

JohnnyHammersticks
12-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Great summary. Agree with everything (as usual), but particularly 3 things;

Unexpected smart tactical moves by Reid in the 2nd half leaving Atlanta low on timeouts.

We have to bring Eric Berry back.

We absolutely MUST use Tyreek Hill more, which I've been shouting since week 3.

rico
12-04-2016, 06:53 PM
What a stupid thing to say. You can say that the D and STs do more.. but in a complementary team game, this comment is ****ing ignorant.. and what I thought to be beneath you.

So, I'm guessing you are under the impression that the Chiefs's defense has not basically single-handedly won games for the Chiefs despite the offensive struggles...MULTIPLE times this year?!??!?

You really are a twat-waffle.

rico
12-04-2016, 06:53 PM
You the man, George. Ignore the constant negativity from Sandy.

Easy 6
12-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Respectfully disagree. Both of the playerss you mentioned were allowed to walk by their original teams. We fall in love wth players too much.

Let him go and find another. That's the job of a GM.

But we most likely get to keep one between Berry and Poe... who do you keep?

Buehler445
12-04-2016, 07:07 PM
So, I'm guessing you are under the impression that the Chiefs's defense has not basically single-handedly won games for the Chiefs despite the offensive struggles...MULTIPLE times this year?!??!?

You really are a twat-waffle.

Been probably a decade since I've heard the ol' twat waffle.

Rep ROFL

suzzer99
12-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Atlanta going for 2 was obviously the correct play. But throwing it wide up by 1 - which is realistically the only way a 2pt return is going to happen - seems pretty dumb. Just run that shit or call a slant or something.

splatbass
12-04-2016, 07:13 PM
I understand this sentiment completely. Believe me, I'm grateful every time we win. I'm just seeing things that make me worry what's going to happen if and when we get in a playoff. Having the 27th ranked offense in the NFL is not a good sign going into December. We've won despite the offense.

We've beaten Oakland, Denver and Atlanta on the road, 3 probable playoff teams. I'm not that worried about it. People forget we have won some big games already this season, with a lot of backups playing.

Baby Lee
12-04-2016, 07:27 PM
You the man, George. Ignore the constant negativity from Sandy.

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/G2y8Sx4B2Sk/hqdefault.jpg

rico
12-04-2016, 07:30 PM
http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/G2y8Sx4B2Sk/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/media_gallery_image/public/images/princessbride8.jpg?itok=4gdsKOw6

ChiefsFanatic
12-04-2016, 08:36 PM
It seemed to me that they were getting 5 to 6 yards per rush, and just kinda gouging our defensive line, which is why I cannot understand why the called a passing play on the 4th down, and on the 2 point conversion.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

King_Chief_Fan
12-04-2016, 08:51 PM

BERRY

kcchiefsus
12-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Do us all a favor and jump in front of a car.

FloridaMan88
12-04-2016, 09:11 PM
In defense of Alex Smith, he got no support from the Chiefs running game (the majority of the Chiefs rushing yards were from Albert Wilson's fake punt and from reverse gadget plays) and Conley had multiple drops.

I thought overall Alex Smith played well, despite some bad miss-fires (i.e. the missed pass to Ware on 3rd down) and also taking into consideration the fact that Atlanta's defense is shit.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Do us all a favor and jump in front of a car.

ButthurtROFL

hitchief
12-04-2016, 09:35 PM
In defense of Alex Smith, he got no support from the Chiefs running game (the majority of the Chiefs rushing yards were from Albert Wilson's fake punt and from reverse gadget plays) and Conley had multiple drops.

I thought overall Alex Smith played well, despite some bad miss-fires (i.e. the missed pass to Ware on 3rd down) and also taking into consideration the fact that Atlanta's defense is shit.

That pass Alex made to Conley early in the game down the sideline was a thing of beauty and Conley just plain dropped it. It was practically a handoff it was such a perfect pass but hey Alex cant make that pass so never mind, he sucks.

Always amazes me who much bitching goes on in here after a win, especially on the road against a winning team and with a ton of penalties, which were Alex's fault as well - dam him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2016, 10:00 PM
10 Things is the best thing ever committed to electronic media. It's like watching the game without actually having to deal with bonehead Alex and Andy, and it rounds it all off with a legit statistical outlook necessary to paint a very clear picture of where Lil' Chiefy truly stands in the grand scheme of things.

Bonus: It's truthiness severely pounds the vaginas of both Tiger SlurpeeShaft and Sand In My Vagina Cheeks.

George is God.

Panthersfan4life
12-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Thank you guys so much for beating the Falcons today. Few things bring a wider smile to my face than the way Matt Ryan fuged up that game today! Also you gotta love Eric Berry.

Rasputin
12-04-2016, 10:09 PM
"He is the soul of this defense, like a Ronnie Lott or a Charles Woodson. You need to keep this guy and make him a Chief for life. "

Putting it this way hard to not want Berry over Poe but why can't we figure a way to keep both if somehow possible?

What if Tamba Hali retires does that help any with the cap?

Chief Pagan
12-04-2016, 10:32 PM
That pass Alex made to Conley early in the game down the sideline was a thing of beauty and Conley just plain dropped it. It was practically a handoff it was such a perfect pass but hey Alex cant make that pass so never mind, he sucks.

Always amazes me who much bitching goes on in here after a win, especially on the road against a winning team and with a ton of penalties, which were Alex's fault as well - dam him.

KC's passing game leaves a lot to be worried about. WR's are holding up their end of the bargain with dropped passes.

Easy 6
12-04-2016, 11:17 PM

He absolutely played great, it was almost one of those games like the Indy playoff a few years back... he looked like a serial killer for the most part

21 of 25, 1 td and 0 ints... thats a hyper efficient statline

Good for him... now what else ya got, Smith?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-05-2016, 12:52 AM
Thank you guys so much for beating the Falcons today. Few things bring a wider smile to my face than the way Matt Ryan fuged up that game today! Also you gotta love Eric Berry.

Would you like to continue our conversation on Cam Newton?

Bwana
12-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Excellent :old:

WilliamTheIrish
12-05-2016, 06:51 AM

I think it's important to remember how the Giants built their defense in their SB victories. They had bad ass DL that just rushed and rushed and rushed. And they manhandled the OL's they played.

If Poe comes cheap, I keep him. Because I think -in the playoffs - it's all about how much pressure you can put on the QB.

rad
12-05-2016, 07:02 AM
It's funny how defensive people get when others make accurate observations here.

Good read as usual George.

FringeNC
12-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Turns out the Chiefs can move the ball effectively when there is good pass protection. Has been the story the whole time Reid/Smith have been here.

How the rest of the season turns out depends on our pass protection vs. our D's pass rush. Our D gets absolutely torched without a pass rush. Smith generally performs poorly if he is constantly harassed.

Marcellus
12-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Great read as always George.

GloryDayz
12-05-2016, 07:38 AM
I'd pay a dollar for every win! Hell I spend ~$350 for a loss to TB, maybe it neeed to be $351!!! LMAO

I suspect Atlanta wishes they had only "run" 65 plays.

Aspengc8
12-05-2016, 07:46 AM
He absolutely played great, it was almost one of those games like the Indy playoff a few years back... he looked like a serial killer for the most part

21 of 25, 1 td and 0 ints... thats a hyper efficient statline

Good for him... now what else ya got, Smith?

He hits that Ware dump off and doesn't under-throw Conley on that fade, he pitches a near perfect game imo.

carlos3652
12-05-2016, 08:15 AM
He hits that Ware dump off and doesn't under-throw Conley on that fade, he pitches a near perfect game imo.

This is what I don't understand, Alex has one of the best statistical games against the worst pass d, misses 4 passes. has over 10 yards per attempt - we hold Matty Ice who runs the #1 offense in the NFL to one of his worst performances at home.

Having statistically bottom 10 offense and defense in most categories and win on the road against the best team in the NFC south (who have beat Denver and Oakland on the road)

Are 1 game away from HFA sitting @ 9-3 with 3 home games left with 4 to go... winning 20 games out of our past 24.

This is a complete team effort. We are a top 5 team in the NFL.

Yet somehow - we want to fire Reid and get someone better without actually knowing who could be better, bench Alex without really knowing who could actually replace him, and complain about how this team is the luckiest team ever and is not sustainable... how is it not sustainable??? When we have gone 20-4? when we are 3-0 against the toughest division in the NFL, with one of the hardest schedules in the NFL... we are 4-1 @ home and 5-2 away...

Enjoy it -

If we win the super bowl - cp will tell me that 2017 is a 0-16 season because we kept Alex and Reid and the winning ways is not sustainable -

As long as we get better every year - (which we have) - enjoy it... I'm out...

gblowfish
12-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sports autopsy on the game:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/

scho63
12-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Ten Things About Today’s Game: Week 13

9. When the game started, it looked like it would be a track meet.
807 yards of total offense is pretty much a track meet. ROFL

8. Atlanta got the benefit of penalty yards; KC was penalized 13 times for 128 yards. That’s almost a 100 yard advantage (Falcons had 5 penalties for 30 yards).
That was a complete mess and so unlike the Chiefs. Fisher had 3 penalties in a ROW, only two were called. :shake:

7. KC forced Atlanta to settle for two 20 yard field goals in the first half instead of getting TDs.
Our Red Zone D has been incredible this year and we have the MOST takeaways in the Red Zone in the NFL. Kept us in the game.

6. What to think of Alex today?
He was on fire early hitting with great passes then he made some Alex Smith blunders; the underthrow to Conley that may have been a TD and the horrible over throw to Ware that 100% would have been a TD. He also had some chances to run and he passed them up. Overall I give him a B+

5. Albert Wilson, he was the offensive and special teams player of the week. Wilson gets four grabs for 48 yards, all tough catches across the middle, and he gets the 55 yard scamper on the fake punt.
Nice to see other guys stepping up.

4. We didn’t get much out of Dee Ford or Houston.
I think Ford had only 1/2 tackle and that was it. Not sure of Atlanta's OLine and if Matty Ice takes a lot of sacks but I don't think he does. He was getting rid of the ball prety damn quick. When we chased him out of the pocket, we had poor containment including that 3rd and 9 late in the game where he picked up the first with his feet.

3. Of course the undisputed star of the game was Eric Berry.
He really is playing great for the most part. Except for that stumble and long PI penalty called on him, he made up for it in a big way.

2. Big props to Andy and the coaching staff.
Dan Quinn went all Andy Reid like and helped us out with a lot of poor decisions, including poor clock management.

1. So we squeeze out another nail biter win and go to 9-3. Thursday night should be a classic Chiefs-Raiders match up. I hope Maclin will be back and will make a difference, and Houston and Ford can get some pressure on Carr. I’m excited, and hope the home crowd brings some passion. See you at the yard Thursday!
If I had the money, I would probably fly in for this game as well. I'm jealous that I can't be in Arrowhead as it should be rockin!

How many crazy ways have we won this year? Does that mean this is our year because of all the juju or does it mean the moment our luck runs out we are dead? I'm not sure but we are OVERDUE to make the Superbowl.

I'm so glad the game is Thursday night and I only have to wait 4 days to watch Kansas City again. I'm real excited.

I'm going to call my friend, former Raider linebacker and Super Bowl winner Phil Villapiano and double my bet with him.

Have a great short week and let's stomp those Raider bitches in OUR house!

Thanks GB!!! :clap:

bevischief
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks, good read.

BlackHelicopters
12-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Beautifully done. Thanks George.

Frosty
12-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Really liked this quote I read over there:

But Andy Reid’s crew keeps inventing ways to win, and this time K.C. prevailed with a fake punt and nine points’ worth of Berry-pickin’

Buehler445
12-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Running backs, C-minus. Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman combined to rush 27 times for 105 yards (3.9 per carry) and two touchdowns by Freeman. Overall, the Falcons rushed 30 times for 128 yards (4.3 yards per carry). The Falcons inability to run inside the red zone against the Chiefs helped to stall two promising early drives. The Falcons had to get cute with outside swing passes, bootlegs and tosses and the Chiefs were all over those plays.

Goddamn it seemed like they were gashing us worse than that on the ground.

Frosty
12-05-2016, 03:20 PM
It's good to see there are stupid fans everywhere. (http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4047697-the-falcons-have-lost-3-home-games-this-year-in-incredibly-stupid-fashion/?page=1)

Absolutely ridiculous. No excuses in those losses to 3 bad teams.

The 9-3 chiefs are bad huh

Record is misleading. They are dead last in just about every category, offense and defense. They win, cause of turnovers and we have it to them.

The Chiefs have a great head coach and have won 17 of their last 20 games. They're a good team whether you want point out stats or not. They win games

They win cause other teams play stupid, like we did. We lost that, more than they win it. Played like idiots today. No excuse at home to give that game away. None!!

Yes all 17 of their wins was because the other team sucked. Way to give credit where it's due

You can ignore thec stats all you want, but they are practically dead last in every category. They win, cause other teams play stupid.

26 ranked D had our O looking like idiots at home.

They win because they find ways to win. Something our Falcons haven't figured out yet.

they might be the worst 9-3 team in nfl history, they are a joke

No they aren't. Again, that's why yardage statistics should be ignored. Because THATS where you're more likely to be mislead.

Headed into this week, the Chiefs were 8th in overall DVOA. 15th on offense, 13th on defense, 2nd on special teams. They have wins over some decent teams, two of their losses are to decent teams, and they've beaten the majority of the bad teams they've played. They're a good football team.

carlos3652
12-05-2016, 05:19 PM
All 3 of the Chiefs losses have been to teams that currently are tied for their division leads.... I wouldn't consider any of those losses bad?

Halfcan
12-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Another excellent write up my friend-you are getting very good at this. I think you covered most of the action. I just want to mention a couple of things.

Hali is playing at an ALL PRO level. Many on here wanted to kick his "old" ass to the curb. ROFL Last week he uses an O linemen as a weapon and gets a sack and this week he absolutely mauled his guy. He was mere seconds from having a 4 sack day. That constant pressure paid off big for us.

Berry still sucks because he does not Tweet his love to the fans. ROFL Hard to believe many were complaining that he wanted a long term contract and were sure he was not worth it. So awesome to see him give one game ball (pick 6) to his Mom and one game ball (2 point return) to his Dad. First player in history to do that. Maybe those balls will end up in the HOF one day when he is enshrined wearing Red.

Andy had his best coaching day that I have ever seen. As George covered-he was one step ahead and played this one to win from the start.

If someone had said the Chiefs would have more penalty yards than rushing-suffer a sack fumble turnover by Alex, Alex would miss a wide open TD, we would not be effective running the ball, The midget would miss a PAT, Falcons would dominate in the air and bust big runs all day on us, we get a backbreaking pass Int call on us-while playing one of the best teams in the NFL on the road..... And we would WIN!!! Nobody would have believed it.

This team has strong mojo.. Time to kick the shit out of the Faders again!!

Frosty
12-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Another random observation - I'm obviously a fan of Nelson but they need to leave him in the nickle and not try to play him on the outside. He isn't really built to play there.

KChiefs1
12-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Great read George.

I'd like to see a 1990-97 Arrowhead on Thursday night.

KChiefs1
12-05-2016, 06:17 PM

The Chiefs aren't great at anything which worries me.