PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keys to slowing Oaklands Offense

Reerun_KC
12-05-2016, 11:35 AM
What are the keys to slowing Carr and the Raiders offense down on Thursday night.

Where should we focus?

Where cant we afford to be lazy?

Thoughts?

notorious
12-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Pressure up front and wait to take advantage when he throws a lollipop up for grabs.

Shaid
12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Pressure on Carr and hold up versus the run - the key for most teams really but Carr has trouble under pressure. Don't get behind on O or we'll be one dimensional and they'll be able to attack on D.

DJ's left nut
What are the keys to slowing Carr and the Raiders offense down on Thursday night.

Where should we focus?

Where cant we afford to be lazy?

Thoughts?

Down lineman.

They can't play their 46 look against the Raiders and survive. There's just too much firepower outside the hashes to pull it off, IMO.

So they will have to slow the run with 7 in the box. I believe the Raiders played the last game without Murray so slowing down all that beef is going to be a tall order but it's the one the Chiefs have to manage, IMO. Houston's return should help in that regard.

Slow the run on 1st and 2nd down, get them in favorable down/distance situations and use that to force a key turnover or two.

Beef Supreme
Business in the front, party in the back.

bsroyals54
12-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Let them get 400 yards total offense then intercept the ball twice for scores

Graystoke
Antifreeze in Carr's drink of choice

thabear04
Pressure up front and wait to take advantage when he throws a lollipop up for grabs.

Yup I agree let Peters or Berry get that easy int when Carr just throw it away. Plus Houston will be in his face since they didn't meet the first game.

notorious
12-05-2016, 11:40 AM
The Chiefs are missing two badass Dlinemen from the first game.

I know they have good guys in there now, but the run defense has taken a huge step back since then.

Buehler445
12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Hit Carr.

ModSocks
12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Break Derrick Carr's fingers.

Reerun_KC
12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Hit Carr.

That hand could be hurting like a Mofo if we hit him enough in the cold...

thabear04
12-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Down lineman.

They can't play their 46 look against the Raiders and survive. There's just too much firepower outside the hashes to pull it off, IMO.

So they will have to slow the run with 7 in the box. I believe the Raiders played the last game without Murray so slowing down all that beef is going to be a tall order but it's the one the Chiefs have to manage, IMO. Houston's return should help in that regard.

Slow the run on 1st and 2nd down, get them in favorable down/distance situations and use that to force a key turnover or two.

Murray played 20 attempts for 82 yards longest was 22 yards with 2 TD.

TEX
12-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Pass rush

KCUnited
12-05-2016, 12:02 PM
DUI checkpoints on the way to the stadium?

Reerun_KC
12-05-2016, 12:03 PM
DUI checkpoints on the way to the stadium?

Not a good idea... Stadium would be half empty if that was the case...

bobbything
12-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Pass rush will obviously help, but I noted in another thread that we seem content in allowing teams to move the ball in large chunks. However, those chunks aren't available inside the 20. And without the threat of going over the top or defenders playing off a little, our CBs really lock down. Give the line just a little more time.

I like our chances to hold Oakland to a lot of field goals.

notorious
12-05-2016, 12:12 PM

From what I can tell, if you blow below a certain BA level the cops give you more alcohol when going into Arrowhead.

BoneKrusher
12-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Be like Trump, build a wall.

DaFace
12-05-2016, 12:15 PM
The good news to me is that, on our short week, we can use a lot of the Falcons game plan against the Raiders as well while the Chiefs are a completely different animal than the Bills.

Bend but don't break defense. Force Seabass to make some tough kicks. Be efficient on offense. Hopefully create some points on special teams or defense.

petegz28
12-05-2016, 12:15 PM
It's gonna be a frigid game so stopping the run better than we did against ATL, Tampa and Jax is gonna be key

O.city
12-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Good for the Chiefs that the Raiders are coming off 2 physical games on a short week I guess.

The Franchise
12-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Pressure Carr.....early and often.

Get the offense into a rhythm. We can't have a bunch of 3 and outs.

Reerun_KC
12-05-2016, 12:17 PM
From what I can tell, if you blow below a certain BA level the cops give you more alcohol when going into Arrowhead.

This is the game we need EVERY drunken mulleted starter jacket Chiefs fan out in full force...

This place needs to be rocking... NO excuses...

O.city
12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
It's gonna be a frigid game so stopping the run better than we did against ATL, Tampa and Jax is gonna be key

Tampa had 116 yards on 34 attempts, the Falcons had 120 on 30. The Jags gashed them, but I don't feel like lately they've really been ran over much?

Rausch
12-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't care if they run.

At all.

They run it's a shorter game.

I want us to pressure Carr in obvious passing situations and attack their D just like we did Atlanta's.

The biggest difference is Oakland's defense is even worse...

OldSchool
12-05-2016, 12:24 PM
I think Sutton has a pretty good handle on how to beat Carr.

OldSchool
12-05-2016, 12:25 PM

At all.

I want us to pressure Carr in obvious passing situations and attack their D just like we did Atlanta's.

I wouldn't say that. But Tyreek Hill on Sean Smith has to happen.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Hit carr early and often especially in the cold weather, make his ass cry all the way back to oakland

wazu
12-05-2016, 12:29 PM
The good news to me is that, on our short week, we can use a lot of the Falcons game plan against the Raiders as well while the Chiefs are a completely different animal than the Bills.

Bend but don't break defense. Force Seabass to make some tough kicks. Be efficient on offense. Hopefully create some points on special teams or defense.

Interesting angle. Seems logical that there would be some edge here. Of course, the formula for the Falcons included 16 points from defense/special teams.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
12-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Good for the Chiefs that the Raiders are coming off 2 physical games on a short week I guess.

???? You act like We've been vacationing in the Caribbean for the last two weeks. Both teams will be stoked and looking for blood come Thursday. It all comes down to who wants it more. The Raiders run at the top is over.

Rausch
12-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Hit carr early and often especially in the cold weather, make his ass cry all the way back to oakland

That bitch said the worst pain of his life was a dislocated pinkie finger.

Seriously, he said that.

Crush him. Blitz non-stop and hit him with the Ford/Poe/Houston pounding all day.

Hudson is probably the best C in the game (I ****ing TOLD YOU SO!) but their G's can be caught flat footed. With Ford and Houston rushing outside they beg for an inside blitz.

Right up the gut. And Carr is smart. He'll throw it away...

Chief Roundup
12-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Interesting angle. Seems logical that there would be some edge here. Of course, the formula for the Falcons included 16 points from defense/special teams.
There hasn't many if any games our defense and special teams didn't out score our offense.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Rausch
12-05-2016, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't say that. But Tyreek Hill on Sean Smith has to happen.

I'm sure it will at some point...:D

ThaVirus
12-05-2016, 01:30 PM
I really don't know what it is that we do so well against Carr and the Raiders. It's not like we get consistent pressure in his face yet we still stymie that offense. I'd love to see a breakdown of how we've been so successful against them.

Rausch
12-05-2016, 01:35 PM
I really don't know what it is that we do so well against Carr and the Raiders. It's not like we get consistent pressure in his face yet we still stymie that offense. I'd love to see a breakdown of how we've been so successful against them.

1) Poor field conditions that favor running over passing.
2) Inexperience vs. experience.
3) Adversity - tie.
4) HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE...

Red Dawg
12-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Stop the run and make Carr face our pass rush. This game will be a lot about who wants it more. Be intense and hit hard.

Rooster
12-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Has anyone heard if there will be an ex-chief beating the drum and pumping up the crowd during pregame. I believe Okoye was their the night KC thumped the Pats and that turned out pretty well.

Just curious.

Bob Dole
12-05-2016, 02:42 PM

So by favorable, you mean 3rd and 3 or 4, because this D has been horrible on 3rd and long.

threebag
12-05-2016, 03:25 PM
So by favorable, you mean 3rd and 3 or 4, because this D has been horrible on 3rd and long.

Well, i hope the damned zebras stay out of it.

OldSchool
12-05-2016, 03:27 PM

This D has been bad on 3rd down in general.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Get a lead early and let Houston, Ford, Jones and the rest of the gang pin their ears back.

prhom
12-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Get a lead early and let Houston, Ford, Jones and the rest of the gang pin their ears back.

That would be great, but when was the last time we actually had a game like that? The playoff game in Houston? We just don't ever get a big lead. I hope we do it though. It would be nice to watch a game where we more of a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter. I'm not sure anything less than being up 21 pts with less than 4 minutes to go will count as comfortable against the Raiders. Those guys can put up points in a hurry.

ptlyon
12-05-2016, 03:47 PM
That would be great, but when was the last time we actually had a game like that? The playoff game in Houston? We just don't ever get a big lead. I hope we do it though. It would be nice to watch a game where we more of a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter. I'm not sure anything less than being up 21 pts with less than 4 minutes to go will count as comfortable against the Raiders. Those guys can put up points in a hurry.

It's like Reid doesn't open up the playbook until he has to. Like it's a gigantic goddamn secret or something.

KC Dan
12-05-2016, 03:47 PM
You mean like against Indy.....

Bewbies
12-05-2016, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure anything less than being up 21 pts with less than 4 minutes to go will count as comfortable against the Raiders. Those guys can put up points in a hurry.

They do, like when they put up 10 points in 60 minutes against us in their house.

RunKC
12-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Grab Derek Carr by the pussy. That'll do it

MeatRock
12-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Outstanding warrants and a narcotics sting operation in the visitors locker room and stands pre-game?

Easy win: forfeit.

prhom
12-05-2016, 04:18 PM
You mean like against Indy.....

Yeah, I'd still probably be antsy about 21 points. That memory still haunts me. Even the Houston game I wasn't really calm about the lead for most of the game. I guess that's how many of us felt though.

prhom
12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
They do, like when they put up 10 points in 60 minutes against us in their house.

I realize we played them very well the first time and on paper, should do so again at home. I also watched the prolific Trevor Siemian score 14 pts on us in a little over 6 minutes. I hope the Chiefs aren't taking the Raiders as lightly as CP.

Easy 6
12-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Let them get 400 yards total offense then intercept the ball twice for scores

:bravo:

prhom
12-05-2016, 04:42 PM
It's like Reid doesn't open up the playbook until he has to. Like it's a gigantic goddamn secret or something.

I think that's exactly what he does and does it on purpose. I think he truly feels that there is a competitive advantage in being really conservative and capitalizing on mistakes. It makes me nervous as hell watching it play out, but so far it's largely worked out in our favor. Be just aggressive enough to keep the score within 14 points or so and let the defense make plays. Then open it up in the 4th quarter if you're behind and don't have enough time left to count on a turnover from the defense. Our conservative offense appears to be good enough to get 13-17 points a game with no turnovers while other teams "normal" offense is going to turn it over one or two times a game and result in points for us or a short field opportunity for the offense.

TimeForWasp
12-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Find out which hotel they are staying in and pull the fire alarm when they are in REM sleep.

BoneKrusher
12-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Booby Traps might help?

New World Order
12-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Send Houston, Ford and Hali every play.

Play zone.

Play zone.

Play zone

Play zone

Play zone

Play zone

Play zone

Play zone

Play zone

Chief Northman
12-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Playing with a lead is critical. Getting up two scores and forcing the passing game would benefit the Chiefs. The Raider O-line is solid, and Murray has been running hard for weeks now. Take away their play-action game, pin the ears back, and the game will come to KC's defense.

I think the offense can also be successful if Reid is aggressive and schemes to get Kelce and Hill in favourable matchups. If Maclin is a go, let him frustrate Sean Smith all day with a ton of routes that cause him to use different techniques and depth drops..... then burn him over the top. Hayden being out might allow Hill to test that Oakland secondary deep more often than usual. Keep Mack and Irvin outside effectively, and Alex can have another great day.

Coochie liquor
12-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Have them drink the wine that Von set to the AFCW that was labeled "don't drink until the night before the Denver game" on Wed night instead.

NJChiefsFan
12-05-2016, 05:53 PM

At all.

I think Oakland has a better defense. Have a few playmakers at least and have mad some plays to help them hold on to leads.

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2016, 06:03 PM
The Raiders generally start slow, putting up less than 10 points in the first half of the majority of their games (in some instances, as little as 3 points).

The key will be to stop their 2nd half attack, when usually they score a minimum of 10 points or more (against the Bills, the Raiders scored 29 points in the second half).

The Chiefs need to grab a lead and minimize the time the Raiders offense is on the field, especially in the second half.

keg in kc
12-05-2016, 06:13 PM
15 degrees at kickoff would be a good start.

Then just do what you do... hit Carr early and often, score as many defensive and special teams points as possible, do something on offense a couple or three times and hope it's all enough.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Dilfer said on Monday Night Countdown tonight that Carr has never played in a game 32 degrees or below in his 3 years so far.

Thursday will be in the teens with a wind chill in the single digits. Add the finger issue on top of that.

Seems like an uphill battle right now for Carr but we'll see.

Bwana
12-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Hit him early and often.

REDHOTGTO
12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
wear the badass red uniforms ?

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2016, 08:12 PM
wear the badass red uniforms ?

Yes. It's "Color Rush" so they'll be red on red.

Personally, I'd like to see them more often.

Christmas Day would be an awesome time for all red.

NJChiefsFan
12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Not a fan of all red at all. All white on the road is great. Outside of white, not a fan of full one color, except maybe the Ravens(shade I guess not color).

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-05-2016, 10:26 PM
What the hell happened to our run game...

CoMoChief
12-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Send the dogs.....all night long. Rush 5-6 players non stop.

Simply Red
12-05-2016, 10:44 PM

namely in the Tampa game.

We'll be fine (again.)

CoMoChief
12-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Not getting much yrds on 1st down is a very large part of the problem.

I would rarely run on 1st down, unless the field position or situation called for it.

But if you get 2nd and short, it opens up the playbook a lot more and keeps a defense guessing. This is when your shifts and pre-snap calls and movement can just brutalize a defense for an entire drive.

This is what made the Vermeil teams so efficient and effective on offense, well that and a great Oline. But if you remember they were able to get themselves into a lot of 2nd n short opportunities. Play action to Tony G was really effective. So was Priest Holmes off of draw plays. You're just able to do a lot more. More opportunities for biggers chunks of yds, which is what this offense lacks.

Smith is only getting a couple/few yds on 1st down. Chiefs are committing a lot of penalties too, and for a dink n dunk offense that doesn't generate much big chunks of yards, it's practically a death sentence for that drive. Penalties have to stop.

Get Kelce the ball. Hopefully Maclin is back and will have his shit together. But this offense is much better when Kelce gets the ball. And that's been happening a little more these days.

Wilson is playing better than Conley at the moment. Don't know why that is, but Conley is JAG at this point. Offense needs to get Hill the ball into open space a lot more.

Spencer Ware needs to see his blocks a little better. He's a downhill runner ...a lot like Larry Johnson was...but without the Oline. At one point I was for trading or releasing Charles next offseason...now it looks like we're going to need him. It'd be awesome if he comes back and is back to normal self for a playoff run but that is very wishful thinking. I think his days might be numbered. we'll see and good luck to him. A healthy Charles is bad news for the NFL.

Another big part is the offfense's philosophy as a whole.

This team needs to stop running every fucking play out of the shotgun. Playaction 7step drops will work. The Oline is good enough to be able to handle that.

SAUTO
12-05-2016, 10:53 PM
He doesn't remember the vermeil years.

He wasn't a fan then

TimeForWasp
12-06-2016, 12:01 AM

Saving it for Thursday night football

Eleazar
12-06-2016, 12:13 AM
The keys are the pass rush showing up... there isn't much chance for the secondary to lock things down from the top. Pass rushers will have to win this one in the backfield.

threebag
12-06-2016, 02:03 AM
Invite Tonya Harding and a tire iron to meet Sea Bass in the tunnel.

Sandy Vagina
12-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Wilson is playing better than Conley at the moment. Don't know why that is, but Conley is JAG at this point. Offense needs to get Hill the ball into open space a lot more.

Spencer Ware needs to see his blocks a little better. He's a downhill runner ...a lot like Larry Johnson was...but without the Oline. At one point I was for trading or releasing Charles next offseason...now it looks like we're going to need him. It'd be awesome if he comes back and is back to normal self for a playoff run but that is very wishful thinking. I think his days might be numbered. we'll see and good luck to him. A healthy Charles is bad news for the NFL.

I agree with most of your long post, but this.. not so much. While Albert is making more plays than Conley lately, it's not as if Conley's getting much attention either to be able to do much. Conley had a big 25 yard sideline drop last Sunday that won't help his case.. and Smith underthrew him on the other sideline deep attempt. Still.. Conley just doesn't get enough targets to justify stating that Wilson is playing better. (unless you didn't quite mean it that way at all)

As for Spencer Ware, just no. Ware and his vision is not the problem. The OL run blocks were atrocious. Often just the OGs to blame, but even Fisher was sucking shit last Sunday. Ware was getting what positive yards he could on his own hard efforts and ability.

Another big part is the offfense's philosophy as a whole.

This team needs to stop running every ****ing play out of the shotgun. Playaction 7step drops will work. The Oline is good enough to be able to handle that.

The way that Fisher and Schwartz played last Sunday, I'm not so sure that 7 step drops would be wise.. at all. I do greatly agree that all of the run calls from Shotgun.. particularly the ones where it is 3rd and short.. are annoying.

As it is, and in this situation, opponents know that Smith is no longer asked/willing to run the ball much.. so opponents just focus on shutting down the lone RB, and jamming up short pass routes.