PDA

View Full Version : Football It looks like the Lions will be getting some company

jjchieffan
12-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I seriously don't think that Cleveland is going to win a single game this year and will go 0-16. Their remaining games are against Cinci, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and the Chargers. I don't see them pulling off a win in any of those games. They are a lock for the number one pick despite San Francisco only having one win.(And I think that's how they finish as well). How do you build and run a team that can't even win once in 16 games? It's rough sometimes being a Chiefs fan. But how on Earth does anyone continue to root for such a horribly ran franchise? It's been too long since this team has won a championship. But at least we can put together some teams that can compete.

The Franchise
12-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Buffalo or San Diego are their best hopes.

Maybe they'll actually take a fucking QB this time though.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Another year where the Chiefs couldn't do anything right - 2008. Couldn't even get the first overall pick that year.

jjchieffan
12-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Buffalo or San Diego are their best hopes.

Maybe they'll actually take a ****ing QB this time though.

It's not like they can do that right either. They took Manziel in the first in 2014, Weeden in 2012 and Quinn in 2007. That's 3 first round quarterbacks in the first decade and all 3 have busted. Having the first pick in the draft is no guarantee. I'm sure they will make the wrong choice there as well.

Rooster
12-06-2016, 01:48 PM
It's not like they can do that right either. They took Manziel in the first in 2014, Weeden in 2012 and Quinn in 2007. That's 3 first round quarterbacks in the first decade and all 3 have busted. Having the first pick in the draft is no guarantee. I'm sure they will make the wrong choice there as well.

Exactly. It seems like every four years or so the story after the draft is "OMG the Browns crushed that draft!!" and it just never happens for them. It's uncanny.

Coochie liquor
12-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Exactly. It seems like every four years or so the story after the draft is "OMG the Browns crushed that draft!!" and it just never happens for them. It's uncanny.

They must have the worst scouting dept I the league by a long shot.

KranzDictum
12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
1964 isn't all that further away from 1969 when you get into 4 decade territory.

Browns have been in more AFC Championships than kc too.

Even the cub eventually won a WS, anything can happen.

tooge
12-06-2016, 04:03 PM
1964 isn't all that further away from 1969 when you get into 4 decade territory.

Your moms gash smells like Cleveland.

Buehler445
12-06-2016, 04:21 PM
This is what happens when you have a baseball number monkey be your GM.

Pitt Gorilla
12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
It's not like they can do that right either. They took Manziel in the first in 2014, Weeden in 2012 and Quinn in 2007. That's 3 first round quarterbacks in the first decade and all 3 have busted. Having the first pick in the draft is no guarantee. I'm sure they will make the wrong choice there as well.There were, literally, people on this board who wanted each of those for KC (and Geno Smith, etc.)

Coochie liquor
12-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Ok I get the championship talk, but the Browns haven't even been somewhat competitive in decades.

ScareCrowe
12-06-2016, 05:00 PM
There were, literally, people on this board who wanted each of those for KC (and Geno Smith, etc.)

I could see the other 2 but I just never understood Weeden, dude was pushing 30 when he was drafted and he pretty obviously needed time to develop as a pro. How anyone took him anywhere near the 1st round is beyond me. Even if you believed he could be coached up by the time you had anywhere near a completed project you would have to start looking for a replacement.

chiefzilla1501
12-06-2016, 05:23 PM

He's only been there one year. And Corey Coleman and Cody Kessler were his picks. Very unfair to blame him for this mess.

The franchise is a disaster because of their continued allegiance to that shitty bellichick Parcells tree. It's incredible.

Bellichick (5 years)
Chris palmer (2 years)
Romeo (3 years)
Mangini (2 years)
Lombardi - gm (2 years)
Ray Farmer - gm (2 years)

You can't make this shit up. A Parcells or bellichick tree guy has played a big role in 16 of the last 25 miserable years of the browns. That's 64%!

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2016, 05:33 PM

The Browns took a unique approach this offseason but I applaud them for doing so. They've had a lot of picks over the years yet they continue to lose.

Releasing Manziel was a no-brainer but letting Schwartz and Mack leave via free agency was a bold move that left their offensive line completely depleted. They traded Mingo and let a few other guys walk. They made a lot of bold moves but considering the fact that it's been a losing organization since they returned to the NFL in 1999, the best course of action may be shredding the whole thing and starting over.

They have two first round picks and two second round picks in 2017, which is "supposedly" a deep draft for every position but QB. They have a single 3rd but they're expected to get a pair of 3rd round Comp Picks for Schwartz and Mack.

They also have more than $64 million in cap space available in 2017 so if they can hit on a few draft picks that can contribute immediately, they might win 4-5 games next year.

lcarus
12-06-2016, 06:02 PM
The Browns need a good coach. Badly. They can draft all the talent in the world but they need someone who can put it all together.

kccrow
12-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Trading away Carson Wentz told me all I need to know about their new dweeb running the team. That franchise needs to get fucking serious about hiring a real GM, a real HC, and they probably need to hire real cheer leaders. Who the fuck knows anymore... abysmal in every sense of the word.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-06-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm concerned that terrell pryor might be running off to new england in the offseason

DJ's left nut
12-06-2016, 06:15 PM
The Browns were going to have to be gutted to the studs anyway; nothing their new management team could've done in the near term.

It's a 3 year process and if Kizer hits, that's a big step in the right direction. With Coleman and Pryor there, they have some weapons to work with. And their additional 1st rounder will help as well. Honestly, they could go with Myles Garret and perhaps still get Trubisky (or almost certainly Watson if they wanted to gamble there). As Philly continues to slide, that pick gets better and better for them.

2 top 10 picks is not out of the question. This could be a big year for them from a developmental standpoint, especially with a solid FA acquisition or two (and their cap space means they'll almost certainly be able to tag/retain Collins).

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Trading away Carson Wentz told me all I need to know about their new dweeb running the team. That franchise needs to get ****ing serious about hiring a real GM, a real HC, and they probably need to hire real cheer leaders. Who the **** knows anymore... abysmal in every sense of the word.

ROFL -- the Browns netted 4 draft picks letting the Eagles acquire Wentz. It was absolutely the right move when you are a team starving for talent.

Wentz hasn't even shown us much since his first few weeks and will finish nowhere on the level of Rookie QB performances by RW, Cam, Luck, Dak...

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2016, 06:22 PM
It's a 3 year process

I think there's no doubt that the Browns will be in the Top 10 next year (if not Top 5 again) so I'd take Jack and round out the roster with offensive lineman, a running back, D-line, OLBers and secondary players in 2017 and fill in the rest (or vice versa) in Free Agency.

I think that Kessler, if protected by his line and a solid ground game, could be a Kirk Cousins type of guy but until they overhaul the offensive line (and Joe Thomas is 32), any QB is going to struggle, as proven in 2016 when six different QB's started this season.

Easy 6
12-07-2016, 05:23 PM
So yeah, about the Lions...

Does anyone think they're for real this year? They seem to be sneaking up on people with their 8-4 record... I havent even had the chance to watch a single Lions game this year, so I'm curious what ya'll think

They've beat a few decent teams like the Vikings twice, and the Eagles and Skins once... has Stafford turned the corner into a legit soul stealer, are they actually going anywhere, a sleeper hit?

threebag
12-07-2016, 05:48 PM

CP has the only people that dont miss on QBs, evidently they missed their calling.

DJ's left nut
12-07-2016, 05:59 PM
So yeah, about the Lions...

Does anyone think they're for real this year? They seem to be sneaking up on people with their 8-4 record... I havent even had the chance to watch a single Lions game this year, so I'm curious what ya'll think

They've beat a few decent teams like the Vikings twice, and the Eagles and Skins once... has Stafford turned the corner into a legit soul stealer, are they actually going anywhere, a sleeper hit?

Once Stafford started actually playing quarterback instead of just hucking it into coverage for Johnson, things improved a great deal.

If he played like this when he actually had Johnson to bail him out when things got really hairy, they'd have been damn dangerous. As it is, I think they're a little limited by personnel. They don't have the RBs or real dynamic skill-position players to keep this up, IMO. And their defense is good (I really like Slay), but I don't think Ansah is enough to do it on his own.

It's a good team, but not a great one. I think they're a likely 1 and done team, especially if they run into a hot wild card team in the first round.

Easy 6
12-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Once Stafford started actually playing quarterback instead of just hucking it into coverage for Johnson, things improved a great deal.

If he played like this when he actually had Johnson to bail him out when things got really hairy, they'd have been damn dangerous. As it is, I think they're a little limited by personnel. They don't have the RBs or real dynamic skill-position players to keep this up, IMO. And their defense is good (I really like Slay), but I don't think Ansah is enough to do it on his own.

It's a good team, but not a great one. I think they're a likely 1 and done team, especially if they run into a hot wild card team in the first round.

Agreed about the loss of Johnson forcing him to spread it around/utilize everyone else more fully... that has to be a real force in his growth

Looking around at their offensive depth chart you've got Tate and greybeard Boldin which is a decent combo, Ebron is probably league average... and what kind of pictures does Orlovsky have on the Ford family?

Seems like he has been their backup QB for 20 years, I'd like to know why

On D they've got the ghost of Ngata, a decent Ansah and your guy Slay... while I dont follow this team at all, it seems like Caldwell is far exceeding what I thought him capable of, and is getting production from a bunch a no names that are nevertheless "his guys"

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they can do in the playoffs

TribalElder
12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
dwayne Bowe hoeing.jpg

Eleazar
12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
The long term consequences of playing it safe.

saphojunkie
12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
There were, literally, people on this board who wanted each of those for KC (and Geno Smith, etc.)

Yes but only the browns wanted ALL of them.

ForeverChiefs58
12-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Browns starting quarterback Robert Griffin III got hurt in Week One. Browns starting quarterback Josh McCown got hurt in Week Two. And in Week Three, the Browns’ starting quarterback will be rookie Cody Kessler.

That makes Kessler the Browns’ 26th starting quarterback since the franchise returned to the NFL in 1999, a preposterous total that shows just how hard it has been for Cleveland to find stability at the most important position in football. The long list of starting quarterbacks in Cleveland includes a current NFL head coach, several first-round draft busts, veterans who came to Cleveland at the ends of their careers, young quarterbacks who later had more success elsewhere, and both McCown brothers.

Here’s the full list of Browns quarterbacks since they re-entered the league as an expansion team in 1999: Tim Couch, Ty Detmer, Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Bruce Gradkowski, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Brandon Weeden, Thaddeus Lewis, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown, Austin Davis, Robert Griffin III, Cody Kessler.

Kessler will be the Browns’ fifth starting quarterback in their last five games as Manziel started Week 16 and Davis started Week 17 last year. With the exception of the 1987 strike year when teams used replacement players, no team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger has ever started five different quarterbacks over five consecutive games.

Five is also the number of starting quarterbacks the Packers have had — since Week 4 of the 1992 season. The Packers’ full list of starters since Week 4, 1992 is Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien.

The Browns’ list of starters since Week 4, 1992 is the above 26 players as well as Bernie Kosar, Mike Tomczak, Todd Philcox, Vinny Testaverde, Eric Zeier and Mark Rypien. Yes, the Browns have had 32 starting quarterbacks during a period of time in which the Packers have had five starting quarterbacks — and the Browns didn’t exist for three years during that period of time.

Pitt Gorilla
12-07-2016, 08:55 PM
ROFL -- the Browns netted 4 draft picks letting the Eagles acquire Wentz. It was absolutely the right move when you are a team starving for talent.

Wentz hasn't even shown us much since his first few weeks and will finish nowhere on the level of Rookie QB performances by RW, Cam, Luck, Dak...Fine. If you trade Wentz (who I loved prior to the draft and still do), take Dak. Failing to land either makes no sense.

Eureka
12-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Brian Hoyer is the only QB with an overall winning record for Cleveland in like forever. They let him walk a few years back. He may be available next year.

Simply Red
12-07-2016, 10:19 PM
I feel bad for them - they're a nice group of fans, overall. At least the Cavs got them one a few yrs ago - and the Indians are legit.