PDA

View Full Version : Football RIP Rashaan Salaam

Darien25
12-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Sorry on cell...can someone else link?

Rain Man
12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680320-former-heisman-trophy-winner-rashaan-salaam-dies-at-age-42?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

He was the most famous guy in Colorado when I moved here 20+ years ago. It's like a little part of my history is gone. A really little part, almost microbial, but nonetheless it's gone.

I wonder how he died. 42 is kind of young.

BlackHelicopters
12-06-2016, 04:15 PM
No doubt drug related.

KC_Lee
12-06-2016, 04:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorado-heisman-trophy-winner-rashaan-salaam-dies-at-42/

Former Colorado running back and Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam has died. He was 42.
The exact cause of death is not yet known, but Salaam was found dead at a park in Boulder on Monday. According to a release from Colorado's athletic website, police have determined that there were no signs of foul play.

Salaam became Colorado's first Heisman Trophy winner in 1994. At the time, he was just the fourth player in college football history to eclipse the 2,000-yard rushing mark with 2,055 yards. It was a breakout season for Salaam, who totaled 3,057 yards and 33 touchdowns on the ground during his career. Additionally, Salaam won the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation's top running back.

"The Buff Family has lost an outstanding young man and a great Buff today," Colorado athletic director Rick George said in a statement. "We are heartbroken for Rashaan and his family and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very difficult time."

"He was very coachable," said Salaam's coach at Colorado, Bill McCartney. "He had a happy heart. I loved being around him. He didn't take himself too seriously, and he always credited those around him, especially his offensive line. What I liked about him is that he had a sparkle in his eye. He was upbeat and positive."

Salaam was taken in the first round of the 1995 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears and won NFC Rookie of the Year honors that same year when he ran for 1,074 yards and 10 touchdowns. He played three years with the Bears, plus two games with the expansion Cleveland Browns in 1999, and finished with 1,684 career yards rushing. Later, Salaam continued his football-playing career in the short-lived XFL and CFL.

Salaam was added to the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame in 2014.

thabear04
12-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Sorry on cell...can someone else link?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000752658/article/former-bears-running-back-rashaan-salaam-dies-at-42

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our thoughts and prayers go out to Rashaan Salaam&#39;s family, friends, and former teammates. <a href="https://t.co/iF5bRIWKJk">pic.twitter.com/iF5bRIWKJk</a></p>&mdash; Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/806258135904165911">December 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Former Heisman Trophy winner and Chicago Bears' first-round pick Rashaan Salaam was found dead Monday night in Boulder, Colorado.

He was 42. Boulder police told the University of Colorado there were no signs of foul play.

Salaam rushed for 2,055 yards and 24 touchdowns in 1994, leading a vaunted Colorado team that also featured future NFL stars Kordell Stewart, Michael Westbrook and Christian Fauria. At the time, Salaam was just the fourth player in college football history to reach the 2,000-yard mark.

"He was very coachable," former Colorado coach Bill McCartney said, via the school's website. "He had a happy heart. I loved being around him. He didn't take himself too seriously, and he always credited those around him, especially his offensive line. What I liked about him is that he had a sparkle in his eye. He was upbeat and positive."

Added CU Chancellor Philip P. DiStefano: "This is a sad day for the entire university community as we mourn Rashaan's death. Rashaan will be remembered as one of the greatest football players to ever wear a Buffs uniform, and his 1994 Heisman Trophy brought great prestige and honor to the university. We send our deepest condolences to his family and friends."

Selected with the No. 21 overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft, Salaam captured NFC Rookie of the Year honors after rushing for 1,074 yards and 10 touchdowns in his first season with the Bears. His pro career fizzled out shortly thereafter, as he managed just 608 yards combined over the next two seasons in Chicago.

Looking back on his career two years ago, Salaam acknowledged that poor off-the-fields habits contributed to his decline before he reached the age of 25. He harbored no ill feelings toward his former organization, though, telling Pro Football Weekly that he remained a staunch Bears fan.

"It's always great sitting down every Sunday to watch the Bears play," Salaam said. "Legendary organization, gave me my chance 19 years ago, so they'll always be very dear to my heart."

Salaam was inducted into CU's Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012 and was on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame for the first time in 2014.

Marcellus
12-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Read they are saying suicide. He left a note.

TimeForWasp
12-06-2016, 04:21 PM

That's noteworthy. I wonder if he knew he was gonna die.

Rain Man
12-06-2016, 04:30 PM

If it was an accident, he was really a planner.

CTE, I presume?

Darien25
12-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Hmm.....not too far from my house.

Marcellus
12-06-2016, 04:40 PM
If it was an accident, he was really a planner.

CTE, I presume?

His mother, Khalada, told USA TODAY Sports Tuesday that police said they suspect it’s a suicide after finding a note.

“They said they found a note and would share that with us when we get there,” Salaam’s mother said.

May be in Von Miller's handwriting so who knows.

siberian khatru
12-06-2016, 04:43 PM
I had forgotten he won the Heisman.

sedated
12-06-2016, 04:52 PM
CTE, I presume?

Is there much doubt?

Rain Man
12-06-2016, 05:03 PM
May be in Von Miller's handwriting so who knows.

I wish I'd thought of that.

Reerun_KC
12-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Well if he did kill himself... Glad he didnt go Belcher on a bunch of innocent folks before he ended his life...

Rain Man
12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Hmm.....not too far from my house.

Do you have an alibi? And don't say you were with Von Miller.

RINGLEADER
12-06-2016, 05:29 PM
So weird - they were cracking jokes about him today on NFL Live.

Maybe he was watching, and in a fit of depression, cut his own head off.

Easy 6
12-06-2016, 05:34 PM
I liked him a lot better than Curtis Enis

Thats way too young, RIP

New World Order
12-06-2016, 05:38 PM
So weird - they were cracking jokes about him today on NFL Live.

Maybe he was watching, and in a fit of depression, cut his own head off.

He died yesterday.

Still, awful timing.

Coach
12-06-2016, 05:54 PM
I had forgotten he won the Heisman.

He was very good in the Big 8 back then. That 94' game against the Cats, Salaam had 28 carries for 202 yards and two touchdowns.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Rashaan Sheehee, or Rashaan Salaam....Who ya got?

DJ's left nut
12-06-2016, 06:07 PM
He was one of the first guys I really watched to learn about for draft purposes.

That guy ran incredibly upright. Not much of a surprise that he just couldn't get traction at the next level. When you watch him in space at Colorado, he looked almost like a quarterback on an option run; just didn't seem to know/care about getting behind his pads.

And from the same class as Ki-Jana Carter. Fun fact: the Chiefs traded down from 17 (where they had a shot and a use for Derrick Alexander) and with the pick they acquired from Jacksonville selected? Trazelle Jenkins.

That's the kind of thing I worry about when the 'trade down! trade down!' crowd starts to get goin'. Sometimes you really hamstring yourself.

RINGLEADER
12-06-2016, 08:26 PM
He died yesterday.

Still, awful timing.

Well shame on them for cracking jokes about a dead guy.

RINGLEADER
12-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Rashaan Sheehee, or Rashaan Salaam....Who ya got?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our website will be launching very soon!</p>&mdash; Rashaan Shehee (@c22xfitness) <a href="https://twitter.com/c22xfitness/status/322435597048356865">April 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>