PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Options at ILB?

Dante84
12-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Would love to see some discussion around DJ's replacement for the rest of the season, and then what we should do this offseason in FA and the draft.

carcosa
12-08-2016, 09:21 PM
AJ Hawk.....? :(

Schnitzel
12-08-2016, 09:22 PM
JMJ?

mcaj22
12-08-2016, 09:23 PM
James Laurinaitis

jjchieffan
The rest of the season? I missed the first half, Watched on DVR, and fast forwarded through the last Raiders possession to catch up. What happened?

Urc Burry
Arthur Brown just got cut. I liked him a lot coming out. But he's been cut by the ravens and jags. Both when they've been pretty bad

Direckshun
12-08-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't think we need to do anything in the draft unless DJ plans to retire.

Mauga and March are two solid ILB options, and they should be healthy in 2017. Ramik will be a Chief as well. That puts us three-deep while we wait for DJ's return -- I doubt he'll be ready by the start of 2017's season.

As for now, it all rests on Ramik. We have DJ Alexander, but his gap responsibilities are always suspect. Terrance Smith is a big question mark.

carcosa
12-08-2016, 09:24 PM
The rest of the season? I missed the first half, Watched on DVR, and fast forwarded through the last Raiders possession to catch up. What happened?

DJ's achilles fell out of his sock

jjchieffan
12-08-2016, 09:27 PM
DJ's achilles fell out of his sock

Ugh! That sucks

TribalElder
12-08-2016, 09:31 PM
We should have wasted a 7th rounder on burfict years ago

RealSNR
12-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Terrance fucking Smith, bitches!

carcosa
12-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Convert Poe to MLB???

hometeam
12-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Convert Poe to MLB???

He did have some coverage on a 3rd down earlier~

Titty Meat
12-08-2016, 10:15 PM
This isn't the Carl Peterson days 1 player doesn't make or break this team. We won 9 games and we're a top 5 defense without DJ.

Skyy God
12-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Arthur Brown just got cut. I liked him a lot coming out. But he's been cut by the ravens and jags. Both when they've been pretty bad

Claimed by the Jags 12/7.

The Franchise
12-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Terrance fucking Smith, bitches!

Yep.

milkman
12-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Can't play that dime package with Sorenson in the box in a MLB role.
Teams will just gut us up the middle.

Run that dime with DJ Alexander.

Dante84
12-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Yeesh. If Poe goes down, we're gonna be pretty soft up the gut.

Kman34
12-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Can Zombo play ILB???

pugsnotdrugs19
12-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Shitty feeling. Don't know what to think.

jspchief
12-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Yeesh. If Poe goes down, we're gonna be pretty soft up the gut.
Gonna be?

pugsnotdrugs19
12-08-2016, 11:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Justin Houston on DJ: &quot;Next man up. It happened to me. They said that about me.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/807091787345129472">December 9, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dante84
12-08-2016, 11:20 PM
I trust Dorsey. Any FA's come to mind for the offseason?

Titty Meat
12-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Can't play that dime package with Sorenson in the box in a MLB role.
Teams will just gut us up the middle.

Run that dime with DJ Alexander.

DJ is a great player but do you think this is 1 of those injuries they can overcome?

Lzen
12-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Losing DJ sucks but if you look at it realistically, he hasn't played well the past few weeks. If it has been a lingering injury that just now snapped all the way, that explains a lot. It's probably too late to bring someone in that can be of value but I trust Dorsey in whatever he decides. I'm hoping DJ Alexander can step up his play.

Dante84
12-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Reid said Zombo could potentially play inside, and that Dorsey is evaluating all options right now.

Skyy God
12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Terrance ****ing Smith, bitches!

Looks like he's been on the 53 for a month.

I'm sure they'll give him a shot in practices over the next 10 days.

smith11
12-10-2016, 04:55 AM
bring back sio moore?

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Is there any way the Chiefs can somehow grab Jamie Collins after the trade deadline?

milkman
12-10-2016, 05:32 AM
DJ is a great player but do you think this is 1 of those injuries they can overcome?

Yes, it is one that can be overcome, but not with Daniel Sorenson.

T-post Tom
12-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Has to be inhouse unless Dorsey can pull another rabbit out of his hat. Joplo Bartu anyone? :)

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-10-2016, 09:53 AM
get through the last couple of games with what we have... and then draft Reuben Foster if possible (trade up to the mid 1st). 10 year star at MLB for us.

Mecca
12-10-2016, 09:56 AM
get through the last couple of games with what we have... and then draft Reuben Foster if possible (trade up to the mid 1st). 10 year star at MLB for us.

Not really sure I can endorse moving up for a MLB in a year where the Chiefs need to find multiple contributors in the draft.

Molitoth
12-10-2016, 10:11 AM
DJ Alexander has been beating ass in Special teams... he deserves a shot on defense.
Let him play, see what happens.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Not really sure I can endorse moving up for a MLB in a year where the Chiefs need to find multiple contributors in the draft.

Understood, but Reuben will end up being the type of player that makes it worth the investment.

Mecca
12-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Think about this, unless something drastically changes...you enter the offseason with these needs.

QB not a 5th rounder either someone with real potential.
RB a playmaker homerun threat type
ILB Immediate starter
DT Poe likely won't be back with his back problems
CB need a 2

That doesn't even factor in that they will most likely need to address finding a OT, OG or maybe both later in the draft. A possible blocking TE replacement for Harris or if they are going to look into WR's which is always an option and hell that doesn't factor in Hali probably retiring or what will happen with Berry or Colquitt.

You could get by at RB, WR, and CB, 2nd TE with what we have now but they can use upgrading. But there could be a ton of holes going into a draft after this season.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Think about this, unless something drastically changes...you enter the offseason with these needs.

RB a playmaker homerun threat type
ILB Immediate starter
DT Poe likely won't be back with his back problems
CB need a 2

That doesn't even factor in that they will most likely need to address finding a OT, OG or maybe both later in the draft. A possible blocking TE replacement for Harris or if they are going to look into WR's which is always an option and hell that doesn't factor in Hali probably retiring or what will happen with Berry or Colquitt.

You could get by at RB, WR, and CB, 2nd TE with what we have now but they can use upgrading. But there could be a ton of holes going into a draft after this season.

Understood what you're saying, but watching this kid play this year and then seeing DJ go down gets the dreams swirling in the head of what could be.... we're definitely not a match in the draft as he'll likely end up top 10.

There's that draft luck we were discussing in another thread!

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 10:32 AM

The Chiefs aren't going to give up their next 3 drafts to get a DeShaun Watson type player, so most likely, the 4th/5th rounder is their best option.

They should also have several Comp Picks, which can be traded in 2017, so there's a good chance that they can fill out the roster with talented players and move on a QB in 2018.

Both LDT and Fulton will be free agents in 2018 and I'll bet Fulton's gone because he can start somewhere at guard or center. They'll definitely need to add depth at guard, as I find it highly unlikely they'd throw Ron Leary a blank check.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 10:34 AM
I trust Dorsey. Any FA's come to mind for the offseason?

I have beat this like a dead horse but Jaime Collins is a gamble we should take. The guy was ditched by the Pats (fairly reasonable reason) and we are an AFC contender with a need for ILB which would be intriguing to him. Dorsey should be looking at parting ways with Poe with the development of Reyes, Roches, Jones on the line. We still have Bailey and Howard on fair deals.

Collins gets his opportunity to stick it to Bellicheat, he potentially will give us a fair deal just as Schwartz did leaving the Browns for less money

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 10:35 AM
I have beat this like a dead horse but Jaime Collins is a gamble we should take. The guy was ditched by the Pats (fairly reasonable reason) and we are an AFC contender with a need for ILB. Dorsey should be looking at parting ways with Poe. Collins gets his opportunity to stick it to Bellicheat

Fuck no.

There's only one ILB (or linebacker in general) that would make a difference on KC's defense and that's Dont'a Hightower.

But he'll get $9.5 million per year on average, so there's no way to fit him, Berry, Poe, Hali and DJ's contracts under the cap.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Alexander deserves a shot. He's the fastest and most athletic LB we're gonna get at this point, and he plays with fire.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 10:38 AM
I have beat this like a dead horse but Jaime Collins is a gamble we should take. The guy was ditched by the Pats (fairly reasonable reason) and we are an AFC contender with a need for ILB. Dorsey should be looking at parting ways with Poe with the development of our Reyes, Roches, Jones on the line. We still have Bailey and Howard on fair deals.

Collins gets his opportunity to stick it to Bellicheat, he potentially will give us a fair deal just as Schwartz did leaving the Browns for less money

He's good and all but we just can't afford it. With the way Dorsey has been nailing draft picks, we've gotta plan ahead to pay our own. Peters, Berry and/or Poe, Ford, Jones, etc... CLE will tag him I bet anyways.

As long as we continue to draft and develop, very rarely will we need to go after high dollar FAs from other teams.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 10:40 AM
He's good and all but we just can't afford it. With the way Dorsey has been nailing draft picks, we've gotta plan ahead to pay our own. Peters, Berry and/or Poe, Ford, Jones, etc... CLE will tag him I bet anyways.

As long as we continue to draft and develop, very rarely will we need to go after high dollar FAs from other teams.

Collins has 2 sacks on the year. He's going to want $10 million plus in Free Agency.

Not only is he not worth it but that's just absurd for a guy that would likely be the 4th best OLBer on the 2017 Chiefs squad.

Mecca
12-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Tons of people have Watson lasting till the second round...

Also lets be honest if this team pays Berry which I think they will now that DJ is likely done, don't think they can let both of them go in the same year. Poe's mixture of money and his back continuing to act up and him not being the same player since kinda leads me to believe they'll move on there.

Likely move Howard over to NT and go him with him, Bailey and Jones at end. Probably see that leading to Reyes or Jenkins or maybe both being offered small deals to compete for backup spots. Or drafting both a NT and a DE which could happen.

Sandy Vagina
12-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Is there any way the Chiefs can somehow grab Jamie Collins after the trade deadline?

Absolutely. Drive up in a dark van, tranq his ass, and toss him in. When he comes to, you tell him that you kidnapped his wife, and he will play his heart out to get a Chiefs' SB or else! He will wear Wilson's uniform as disguise.

Signups to kidnap the wife are incoming. I'm driving the van. Need a gunner.

Yeah, I think DJ Alexander will emerge this week as the best ILB option available. I like what little I have seen of him.. hope he can make D.J. proud.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 10:46 AM

:Lin:

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Tons of people have Watson lasting till the second round...

Also lets be honest if this team pays Berry which I think they will now that DJ is likely done, don't think they can let both of them go in the same year. Poe's mixture of money and his back continuing to act up and him not being the same player since kinda leads me to believe they'll move on there.

Likely move Howard over to NT and go him with him, Bailey and Jones at end. Probably see that leading to Reyes or Jenkins or maybe both being offered small deals to compete for backup spots. Or drafting both a NT and a DE which could happen.

Howard played his best football at nose for us.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I'll go on record now saying I think Alexander will be a pleasant surprise for us..

Taking the 'everything happens for a reason' approach. This just means it's someone else's opportunity to step up, and I've got a lot of confidence in Alexander. However, if we go with someone else I might be a bit skeptical..

Sandy Vagina
12-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Also think that is his best spot on the line.

Mecca
12-10-2016, 10:50 AM

It's the best option I think, I can't justify giving a guy with a bad back a ton of money. Especially not with some of the other guys that need to be paid.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Collins has 2 sacks on the year. He's going to want $10 million plus in Free Agency.

Not only is he not worth it but that's just absurd for a guy that would likely be the 4th best OLBer on the 2017 Chiefs squad.

Sports pundits in the Boston area have been all over BB since he traded him away. They are just not the same. He was easily one of their three best defenders to start the year

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 10:58 AM
I'll go on record now saying I think Alexander will be a pleasant surprise for us..

Taking the 'everything happens for a reason' approach. This just means it's someone else's opportunity to step up, and I've got a lot of confidence in Alexander. However, if we go with someone else I might be a bit skeptical..

Here's hoping that DJ- can coach them into serviceable players. Still have to play Murray and Melvin Gordon ... Then in the playoffs we could still see Richard/Murray, Blount, Bell, Rawls, Zeke

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Sports pundits in the Boston area have been all over BB since he traded him away. They are just not the same. He was easily one of their three best defenders to start the year

I couldn't care less. The Chiefs are in no position to pay an OLBer $10 million per year when they're paying Houston $17 million, Hali $7 million and will soon pay Dee Ford upwards of $12 million per.

That's just fucking dumb to even suggest it, especially for a lazy assed motherfucker that doesn't stay within his assignments.

Plus, where the fuck do you put him? $10 million for a rotational OLBer?

:facepalm:

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Irony: Denver drafted Brandon Marshall (5th round) and Danny Trevathan (6th round) both in the 2012 draft. They went on to become a really solid ILB tandem due to their athleticism and aggressiveness, along with playing on a great defense.

We drafted Ramik Wilson and DJ Alexander both in the 5th round of 2015, and it looks like it could be their time to prove something... glass half full.

suzzer99
12-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Glad we've got 10 days to game plan around the hole DJ left behind.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Glad we've got 10 days to game plan around the hole DJ left behind.

Can't overthink it IMO. Can't change the defense a ton because of it.

With Wilson and Alexander the Chiefs have young, fast, athletic linebackers and they have to be trusted.

threebag
12-10-2016, 01:05 PM
I think Alexander will be more than serviceable

SAGA45
12-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Replace DJ.....with DJ.....Alexander. Kid has something. He can play. Just gotta throw him in there and let him go...

R Clark
12-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Hope Alexander can drop back and cover . Something close to as good as DJ was

hitchief
12-10-2016, 01:25 PM
its really sad to say but this is it for DJ

And we go with what we have on the roster the rest of the season and make due best we can but its a big hole for sure.

we have nobody on the roster who is even close to being a difference maker at the ILB so its going to be a big need in the draft.

Berry is staying if I have to place a bet so Poe is probably gone too (back and cant keep both)

so we need a ILB, NT and RG in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft, then a rb cause Charles is likely done as well or will have to restructure to stay on the team.

I have faith in Dorsey but its gonna be tough to replace those players!

Nightfyre
12-10-2016, 01:34 PM
I saw an article mentioning Laurinaitis as a fit as a dj substitute. I will say, I loved how he was playing a couple years ago.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 01:58 PM
I couldn't care less. The Chiefs are in no position to pay an OLBer $10 million per year when they're paying Houston $17 million, Hali $7 million and will soon pay Dee Ford upwards of $12 million per.

That's just ****ing dumb to even suggest it, especially for a lazy assed mother****er that doesn't stay within his assignments.

Plus, where the **** do you put him? $10 million for a rotational OLBer?

:facepalm:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-significant-is-loss-of-jamie-collins-to-patriots-defense/
He plays LILB right now and has the ability to be an effective pass rusher. Practically a hybrid linebacker who has the speed to track down players horizontally.

We carry over money from 2016 into 2017. Tamba and DJ's dead cap in 2018 is practically nothing. Poe and Charles are likely coming off the books plus the salary cap will be rising. Either Howard or Bailey will also be gone.

...So that's plenty of money to sign a veteran linebacker.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 02:02 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-significant-is-loss-of-jamie-collins-to-patriots-defense/
He plays LILB right now and has the ability to be an effective pass rusher. Practically a hybrid linebacker who has the speed to track down players horizontally.

We carry over money from 2016 into 2017. Tamba and DJ's dead cap in 2018 is practically nothing. Poe and Charles are likely coming off the books plus the salary cap will be rising. Either Howard or Bailey will also be gone.

...So that's plenty of money to sign a veteran linebacker.

Stupid

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I usually agree with most of your takes Dane but you have to rethink your view on Collins as this video shows he would fill the need that DJ provided us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEl6vpyXINc

I doubt Collins can get market value if he wants to play for a good team. BB defamed him pretty hard after that trade

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 02:30 PM
I doubt Collins can get market value if he wants to play for a good team. BB defamed him pretty hard after that trade

Collins is undisciplined and wants to be paid handsomely. His numbers are shit this year. In 12 starts, he's had 50 tackles and 2 FF.

Ramik Wilson in 8 starts has 38 tackles, a FF and an INT and Wilson's a cheap 4th rounder.

Plus, once again, DJ's on the books through 2018, as is Hali, with Ford's contract expiring at the end of 2018.

Wasting money on fucking Jamie Collins would be an epic misuse of resources.

Draft, draft, draft.

Dante84
12-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Collins is undisciplined and wants to be paid handsomely. His numbers are shit this year. In 12 starts, he's had 50 tackles and 2 FF.

Ramik Wilson in 8 starts has 38 tackles, a FF and an INT and Wilson's a cheap 4th rounder.

Plus, once again, DJ's on the books through 2018, as is Hali, with Ford's contract expiring at the end of 2018.

Wasting money on ****ing Jamie Collins would be an epic misuse of resources.

Draft, draft, draft.

To be fair, he was ripped out of one defense, and mid-season, dropped into another - and that defense is the goddamned Cleveland Browns.

I agree that he would be a very (too?) expensive luxury at this point, though.

KChiefs1
12-10-2016, 02:33 PM
http://www.12up.com/posts/4243422-3-linebackers-who-can-replace-derrick-johnson?a_aid=40920

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 02:38 PM
To be fair, he was ripped out of one defense, and mid-season, dropped into another - and that defense is the goddamned Cleveland Browns.

If anything, being in Cleveland would benefit his production, as the talent in front of him and/or next to him is well below the talent in NE.

I agree that he would be a very (too?) expensive luxury at this point, though.

From what's come out of NE, his personality wouldn't fit this locker room, anyway. Plus, the Chiefs have much greater needs than to be throwing $10 million a year at an ILBer.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Wasting money on ****ing Jamie Collins would be an epic misuse of resources.

Draft, draft, draft.

The dead cap on Hali and DJ in 2018 is practically nothing. Collins and his agent are going to let his play in New England speak for itself when free agency hits as there is nothing worth fighting for right now in Cleveland. Hopefully the experience will humble him a little bit. 10 mil a year would be worth imo.

otherwise I agree, we are finding one in the first 2 rounds

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 03:23 PM
The ILB is such an underappreciated position. The elite defenses of recent years have had a dominant player at the position: Kuechly, Wagner/Irvin, Bowman/Willis, Hightower/Collins, DJ (even tho past his prime)

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 03:34 PM
The ILB is such an underappreciated position. The elite defenses of recent years have had a dominant player at the position: Kuechly, Wagner/Irvin, Bowman/Willis, Hightower/Collins, DJ (even tho past his prime)

Irvin? Huh? He's an OLBer. Malcom Smith lined up next to Wagner and he's a 7th rounder.

New England's defense wasn't "elite".

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Irvin? Huh? He's an OLBer. Malcom Smith lined up next to Wagner and he's a 7th rounder.

Irvin is a hybrid but Carroll wanted him to play more inside which Irvin didn't agree with. Oakland promised to let him play more OLB before they signed him. Which is why I compare him to Collins because he excels in all areas

NE was 8th in points allowed per game in 2014

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Irvin is a hybrid but Carroll wanted him to play more inside which Irvin didn't agree with. Oakland promised to let him play more OLB before they signed him. Which is why I compare him to Collins because he excels in all areas

But that's a fallacy. During their 2013-2014 Super Bowl runs, Smith and Wagner played inside while Irvin played outside.

And for an average of $9.2 million per year, the Raiders got jobbed. Their defense is garbage and Irvin has only 5 sacks in 12 games opposite Mack.

RunKC
12-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I actually like DJ Alexander. He's got nice speed (4.56 40) and we all know he's going to thump guys.

He was pretty solid in the Denver game.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2016, 03:43 PM
I actually like DJ Alexander. He's got nice speed (4.56 40) and we all know he's going to thump guys.

He was pretty solid in the Denver game.
He looks the part but also seems to make mistakes.

more reps should help unless he's got a brain problem

Danguardace
12-10-2016, 03:44 PM

I said on another thread LB is like RB if you have an out right stud great, but outside of those guys it is one of the easiest positions in the league to find adequacy.

DJ will be missed but Peters or Houston would be bigger losses imo; CB and Pass Rusher are premium positions ILB has been marginalised to some extent.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I said on another thread LB is like RB if you have an out right stud great, but outside of those guys it is one of the easiest positions in the league to find adequacy.

DJ will be missed but Peters or Houston would be bigger losses imo; CB and Pass Rusher are premium positions ILB has been marginalised to some extent.

IMO, DJ's leadership will be missed more than his play on the field, which has slipped quite a bit this season.

As I mentioned as far back as October, he appears as if he's not only lost a step but maybe two.

I don't know how he can come back at age 35 after suffering his second Achilles tear but I'm certain that no one in the organization will tell him that he can't do it.

Danguardace
12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
IMO, DJ's leadership will be missed more than his play on the field, which has slipped quite a bit this season.

As I mentioned as far back as October, he appears as if he's not only lost a step but maybe two.

I don't know how he can come back at age 35 after suffering his second Achilles tear but I'm certain that no one in the organization will tell him that he can't do it.

I agree,

Reminded me a bit like Ray Lewis in his last season. I had friends who were Raven Fans who said that year if he was anybody else he'd be a back up.

Some guys leadership and experience can cover up a multitude of sins.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 05:01 PM
DJ had been listed on the injury report for weeks with an Achilles issue before this, which I think played a part in him slipping a bit.... more so than his age. The damn thing just gave out, and I was worried about it happening from the day I saw it on the injury report.

RunKC
12-10-2016, 05:04 PM
In watching the game again, the biggest problem I see is the DL not doing their job. TJ Barnes and Chris Jones just let guys run by them due to high pad level and over pursuit. You can't expect any LB to make a play when there are holes on a lot of runs.

I hope Sutton really works with these guys on gap integrity. Many runs were DL faults.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 05:06 PM
In watching the game again, the biggest problem I see is the DL not doing their job. TJ Barnes and Chris Jones just let guys run by them due to high pad level and over pursuit. You can't expect any LB to make a play when there are holes on a lot of runs.

I hope Sutton really works with these guys on gap integrity. Many runs were DL faults.

When I re-watched I felt the same way...

I hope they can fix that with Jones because its the one thing preventing him from being a gamewrecker.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 05:10 PM
If we had to play the Cowboys right now, it would get ugly I'm afraid.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-10-2016, 06:00 PM
FWIW, PFF had DJ rated 21st amongst ILBs and he was top 5 for pass coverage...

So if you believe in that, we are probably losing quality coverage ability and not losing much if anything in terms of run defense.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
But that's a fallacy. During their 2013-2014 Super Bowl runs, Smith and Wagner played inside while Irvin played outside.

And for an average of $9.2 million per year, the Raiders got jobbed. Their defense is garbage and Irvin has only 5 sacks in 12 games opposite Mack.

It wasn't until 2013 they labeled him officially as an OLB but he played the SAM position from then on because he was both capable of stopping the run but also dropping into the coverage. He didn't agree with how they were using him because he wanted more glory chasing the QB

"Irvin was often substituted at SAM in 2013 and 2014 by more traditional linebacker Malcolm Smith. But Irvin played 70 percent of defensive snaps under Kris Richard in 2015 because of the versatility he offered."

Sassy Squatch
12-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Any rumors on us bringing in a FA, like Hawk or Ryans?

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2016, 08:07 PM
It wasn't until 2013 they labeled him officially as an OLB but he played the SAM position from then on because he was both capable of stopping the run but also dropping into the coverage. He didn't agree with how they were using him because he wanted more glory chasing the QB

"Irvin was often substituted at SAM in 2013 and 2014 by more traditional linebacker Malcolm Smith. But Irvin played 70 percent of defensive snaps under Kris Richard in 2015 because of the versatility he offered."

Smith was gone after the 2014 season, as was Dan Quinn

Sandy Vagina
12-11-2016, 09:38 AM
I know it is just one play, but if able and interested, look at the play vs OAK... exactly 7 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. DJ Alexander and even Ramik Wilson.

( very good slow-mo replay just after the live action )

Former Chief Rodney Hudson snaps to Carr.. who then hands off to the RB. Hudson then heads forward to block DJA, as Penn tries to engage Wilson.

DJA absorbs and anchors what Hudson brings, and quickly disengages to prepare for the RB tackle.

Wilson gives an upper body shove to avoid the lunging block effort from Penn, so he then bursts in to make the tackle as DJA assists in the RB sandwich tackle.

Again.. just one play.. but you are talking about two quality, high paid OL, and both young ILBs showed some very encouraging skills there.

Chiefshrink
12-11-2016, 09:41 AM
We should have wasted a 7th rounder on burfict years ago

Imagine all the penalties costing us close games potentially.

Chiefshrink
12-11-2016, 10:05 AM

And why our elite red zone defense will take a big hit unless of course the youngsters step up which I hope they will. Fight or Flight is what our defense will do these last 3 games. Either this defense will just give up and take off feeling helpless without DJ or they will man up and fight and play above their heads like you see periodically with other teams that lose big playmakers on D. Look at how many D players Buff lost at the start of the season and they have played very well on D.

I think you will see our D take it to the next level overcompensating for DJ with a fight response we have not seen yet this season.:thumb:

With that being said, who in this upcoming draft would you pick at ILB given our position in the draft or would it be better to wait until the latter rounds?

pugsnotdrugs19
12-11-2016, 10:44 AM
DJ was playing a tad slower ever since he started to pop up on the injury report...

In 2014, we had Mauga and James-Michael Johnson. Both VERY slow in comparison to Ramik and DJA.

Chiefshrink
12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Both VERY slow in comparison to Ramik and DJA.

Well to Dane's point we just go with the youngsters and hope they step up their game.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Well to Dane's point we just go with the youngsters and hope they step up their game.

I'm more concerned about the DL right now than those backers, truthfully....

We are playing a lot of guys up front, and they've been extremely inconsistent..

carcosa
12-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I know it is just one play, but if able and interested, look at the play vs OAK... exactly 7 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. DJ Alexander and even Ramik Wilson.

( very good slow-mo replay just after the live action )

Former Chief Rodney Hudson snaps to Carr.. who then hands off to the RB. Hudson then heads forward to block DJA, as Penn tries to engage Wilson.

DJA absorbs and anchors what Hudson brings, and quickly disengages to prepare for the RB tackle.

Wilson gives an upper body shove to avoid the lunging block effort from Penn, so he then bursts in to make the tackle as DJA assists in the RB sandwich tackle.

Again.. just one play.. but you are talking about two quality, high paid OL, and both young ILBs showed some very encouraging skills there.

HELL YEAH!!!

Chiefshrink
12-11-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm more concerned about the DL right now than those backers, truthfully....

We are playing a lot of guys up front, and they've been extremely inconsistent..

Agreed. We have been getting gashed between the 20's all year and I don't think it will change either. Which leads to the question of signing Poe or letting him walk?

nychief
12-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Tracy Simien?

Rausch
12-11-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm an Alexander fan.

Just putting that out there...

pugsnotdrugs19
12-11-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm an Alexander fan.

Just putting that out there...

Think most all of us are right now, just hope he gets a chance.

TRR
12-11-2016, 12:55 PM
KC won't sign a LB off the couch. If they go outside the organization, it will be for a LB that was just released off another teams roster and in playing shape. Most of Dorsey's in season signings are this way.

I assume we see Alexander and Wilson if they have faith in Alexander. Otherwise they will play it safe and move Zombo inside. Bad decision in my opinion to IR March with hand surgery (hindsight being 20/20). I thought March was starting to play well and should have been carried for a bit when the injury occurred. I don't think March will be the IR designated return with Charles nearing 100%.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-11-2016, 11:45 PM
So, who knew that PFF had Ramik graded higher than DJ overall and in run defense. Only a couple points behind DJ in coverage..

Like anything PFF, it comes with a grain of salt but still, surprised me.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-12-2016, 12:10 AM
Can't help but cling to this hope that DJ's injury (somehow) turns into a blessing in disguise..

Obviously no one wants to see our players go down. But what if Ramik and DJA prove to be a promising young duo? Like I pointed out yesterday, Trevathan and Marshall in Denver were 6th round picks in the same draft that proved to be a huge part of their SB defense. Who knows? It's not like we were ever going to straight up bench DJ for one of them.

Slim odds, but anything is possible with this team.

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Can't help but cling to this hope that DJ's injury (somehow) turns into a blessing in disguise

And I hope the next fart I cut results in every Katsu Ya menu item appearing in front of me after this post.

Neither is happening.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-12-2016, 12:37 AM
And I hope the next fart I cut results in every Katsu Ya menu item appearing in front of me after this post.

Neither is happening.

Oh, ok