PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 30th Against the Run and we just lost DJ

ChiefRocka
12-09-2016, 06:17 AM
This one takes us from an elite defense to "very good defense". Sutton has work to do to mask that gaping hole right in the center of our D.

I have one dude on my mind right now other than DJ. Lagarette Blount.

Direckshun
12-09-2016, 06:23 AM
The Raiders are a good running team, though, and you can hardly argue they killed us on the ground.

We aren't amazing against the run but we dare teams to run on us, we play in nickel and dime a TON. We were in nickel to start this game.

Chiefs are making calculated decisions on defense. Against a lot of teams, that decision is to force teams to beat us on the ground, where we are bending but not breaking.

Red Dawg
12-09-2016, 06:27 AM
The team is breaking rules. We give it up too much between the 20's but teams are finding it hard to get in the end zone. It make stats misleading.

loochy
12-09-2016, 06:29 AM
http://the-void.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/wwe-wbf-bodystars-267x300.jpg

Chiefshrink
12-09-2016, 06:57 AM
This one takes us from an elite defense to "very good defense". Sutton has work to do to mask that gaping hole right in the center of our D.

Yep. Let's not forget how good Melvin Gordon is running as well and Rivers wants revenge even though they are not going to the playoffs and he would love nothing more than to knock us down a rung. Tennessee's running game is solid and Denver now if they are still have a chance for the playoffs by Xmas will not be a gimme either.

The Raiders are a good running team, though, and you can hardly argue they killed us on the ground.

We aren't amazing against the run but we dare teams to run on us, we play in nickel and dime a TON. We were in nickel to start this game.

Chiefs are making calculated decisions on defense. Against a lot of teams, that decision is to force teams to beat us on the ground, where we are bending but not breaking.

Bob Sutton :wayne: Robinson more than ever now.:rolleyes:

The team is breaking rules. We give it up too much between the 20's but teams are finding it hard to get in the end zone. It make stats misleading.

You are very right on. But now we do not have DJ in the red zone playing with Pro Bowl veteran instinct when you need it the most. We have been gashed between the 20's all year as you say BUT now without DJ we will be lucky to make it past the first round IMHO. I will say the obvious here, "don't get your hopes up for the playoffs". We're done IMHO. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here but just being realistic. It will be ugly for us down the stretch here I'm afraid.

If we have to play the Steelers ? :shake:

Eleazar
12-09-2016, 07:24 AM
If you're 30th against the run, you don't have an elite D.

Rasputin
12-09-2016, 07:28 AM
It's all apart of the plan that's been working from game one and only didn't work 3 times so far and even that is part of the plan. The plan to give teams false since of being able to beat the Chiefs when we actually by plan beat them sucking the life out of each team we face and make them losers. Like tonight Raiders thought they could come into Arrowhead and win but they couldn't do it could they?

The plan worked against Denver giving them hope and we took the plan all the way to :o5 of the OT playclock to execute the plan to perfection with a doink kick that was good to win the game.

The plan worked again just a half week ago Sunday by giving the Falcons the lead by a point only to have by plan Eric Berry return a winning extra 2 points to planned victory.

Giving us fans unbearable since of insecurity is part of the plan.

That's the plan and Andy Reid is sticking to the plan.

Started from game one when the Chiefs were down 28 points ppffftt that was the plan to kick off the season and plan of attack to make teams discouraged when we play them is part of the plan. Good planning Coach Reid.

notorious
12-09-2016, 07:28 AM
We could have lost Houston or Ford and it would have less impact than losing DJ. Hopefully we get lucky and one of the backups become a star.

Fat chance.

Sandy Vagina
12-09-2016, 07:32 AM

Wouldn't say killed us, but they were stupid not to run more at us. As it was, they were getting nice gains on us, and then getting away from the run. Murray and Richard combined for 132 yards and a 4.7 average.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-09-2016, 08:36 AM
You guys realize they concede those rushing yards by playing a majority in dime right??

NUMBER7
12-09-2016, 08:41 AM
It's all apart of the plan that's been working from game one and only didn't work 3 times so far and even that is part of the plan. The plan to give teams false since of being able to beat the Chiefs when we actually by plan beat them sucking the life out of each team we face and make them losers. Like tonight Raiders thought they could come into Arrowhead and win but they couldn't do it could they?

The plan worked against Denver giving them hope and we took the plan all the way to :o5 of the OT playclock to execute the plan to perfection with a doink kick that was good to win the game.

The plan worked again just a half week ago Sunday by giving the Falcons the lead by a point only to have by plan Eric Berry return a winning extra 2 points to planned victory.

Started from game one when the Chiefs were down 28 points ppffftt that was the plan to kick off the season and plan of attack to make teams discouraged when we play them is part of the plan. Good planning Coach Reid.

Spot on!

Amnorix
12-09-2016, 08:42 AM

Other than the '07 Patriots, who didn't even seal the deal, what team exactly is crushing their opponents with such regularity and ease their fans don't have a weekly sense of insecurity?

Reading this thread, I honestly have no idea what you guys even expect from your team. 10-3 isn't good enough. 20-3 over the last 23 games, or whatever it is, isn't good enough. You're not winning "the right way" or something, so you guys can all relax while you watch the game, confident in the victory-to-be.

This isn't fucking Alabama vs. Kent State. It's the NFL. EVERY game is "lose-able". "Any given week" is a real thing. You just beat a team that was 10-2 and tied atop the AFC.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-09-2016, 08:44 AM
But it was cold, Am no!

Titty Meat
12-09-2016, 08:44 AM
They gave up 13 points to 1 of the best offenses and held the best offense below its average 4 days prior. Who cares?

Direckshun
12-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Other than the '07 Patriots, who didn't even seal the deal, what team exactly is crushing their opponents with such regularity and ease their fans don't have a weekly sense of insecurity?

Reading this thread, I honestly have no idea what you guys even expect from your team. 10-3 isn't good enough. 20-3 over the last 23 games, or whatever it is, isn't good enough. You're not winning "the right way" or something, so you guys can all relax while you watch the game, confident in the victory-to-be.

This isn't ****ing Alabama vs. Kent State. It's the NFL. EVERY game is "lose-able". "Any given week" is a real thing. You just beat a team that was 10-2 and tied atop the AFC.

No shit. WHY does it take a Pats fan to point this out?

You guys are getting stupid ridiculous this season.

Most seasons, I can see it. Even when things are rolling, there are huge problems.

This team has done as much with as little as any team in the NFL. A lot of that is due to the great coaching and the great talent acquisition. A lot of it has to do with the players making things happen and putting themselves in great position.

Chill. Out.

We've got some tough games ahead, but so long as we take care of business, we've got a bye.

Even if we don't, we're in the playoffs. Which puts us in position to go to the Super Bowl.

Direckshun
12-09-2016, 08:52 AM
They gave up 13 points to 1 of the best offenses and held the best offense below its average 4 days prior. Who cares?

Both teams had Pro Bowl running backs, too.

ct
12-09-2016, 08:53 AM
we should focus on demarco murray first

alpha_omega
12-09-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm still basking in the sunshine of victory....this ain't gonna get me down!

NJChiefsFan
12-09-2016, 09:30 AM
No shit. WHY does it take a Pats fan to point this out?

You guys are getting stupid ridiculous this season.

Most seasons, I can see it. Even when things are rolling, there are huge problems.

This team has done as much with as little as any team in the NFL. A lot of that is due to the great coaching and the great talent acquisition. A lot of it has to do with the players making things happen and putting themselves in great position.

Chill. Out.

We've got some tough games ahead, but so long as we take care of business, we've got a bye.

Even if we don't, we're in the playoffs. Which puts us in position to go to the Super Bowl.

Here is my theory on all of this, and I believe I fall into the trap as well.

Obviously we have had nearly zero playoff success in forever. Because of that I think we have this image that you need to be picture perfect and sound across the board to win the in playoffs. It's not really the case, especially this year.

My point is that I don't think people are overlooking our play now as much as worrying about whether it will be a level that will get us through the playoffs.

NJChiefsFan
12-09-2016, 09:32 AM
As for the OP, while not comforting, we haven't been good against the run with DJ. Yes I agree that it could get worse. However, since we have had defensive success without being elite against the run I think it's possible that we can maintain that without him.

This will hurt, but imagine if our success was coming entirely because we shut down the run. If we depended on our D to stop the run to win all year, this would be an even bigger problem. The biggest problem is that we don't have an athlete to be that LB in the dime package.

Sandy Vagina
12-09-2016, 09:40 AM
The biggest problem is that we don't have an athlete to be that LB in the dime package.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I think DJ is a great player and have much respect.. but was he really that much of an athlete these days? Bless him for all he's done, but really, he hasn't been the same player.

His presence will for sure be missed, and yes, this does hurt. So the question now is.. how hard will it really be to replace what he does? and who/how to go about doing it?

The Franchise
12-09-2016, 09:41 AM
You guys realize they concede those rushing yards by playing a majority in dime right??

This. They knew that the Raiders couldn't run the entire time and come back.

loochy
12-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way. I think DJ is a great player and have much respect.. but was he really that much of an athlete these days? Bless him for all he's done, but really, he hasn't been the same player.

His presence will for sure be missed, and yes, this does hurt. So the question now is.. how hard will it really be to replace what he does? and who/how to go about doing it?

Yeah, he offset the lack of athleticism with super intelligent positioning and instinct. Unfortunately, things like that are excessively difficult to replace.

Pushead2
12-09-2016, 09:45 AM
I'm going to be honest and a bunch of others have said the same, I wouldn't mind seeing Zombo try the ILB spot a few snaps. He's not bad on run defense. Coverage isn't so great.

NJChiefsFan
12-09-2016, 09:51 AM

I will be honest. I don't watch him closely anymore. I just trust him. So while I have seen him miss a few gaps and tackles, let a few RB get away, IDK how big the drop off really has been with DJ vs DJ. I would guess he isn't a 95 anymore, but like an 86.

Urc Burry
12-09-2016, 09:55 AM
We're going to miss DJ's smarts more so than his play. He's regressed quite a bit this year. Don't get me wrong it is a big blow. But DJ isn't the top 5 backer he has been for the majority of his career

DJ's left nut
12-09-2016, 10:03 AM
We're going to miss DJ's smarts more so than his play. He's regressed quite a bit this year. Don't get me wrong it is a big blow. But DJ isn't the top 5 backer he has been for the majority of his career

Exactly.

Another way to view it is 'The Chiefs are 30th against the run WITH Derrick Johnson...."

He simply wasn't playing very well this year. Not terribly, but not great by any stretch. We don't have anyone that can replace his intelligence in lining up the D, but if everyone just does their own job, we'll be fine there as well.

There are several guys that would've been bigger losses than DJ. It hurts to say and it sucks if this is how it ends, but DJ was slipping. This isn't going to be the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs.

If the D-Line can step up its game (and that was going to have to happen anyway), this team will be fine.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-09-2016, 10:22 AM

This.

It's not like we are going to line up in dime all day against Tennessee. We might never. We're going to align in ways that try to take the run away.

BWillie
12-09-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm just happy they won a game while being down in the turnover category by 3. Tyreek Hill is helpful in this endeavor.

Chiefnj2
12-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Tennessee is certainly the perfect test to see if they can clamp down on the run without him.

Rausch
12-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Call me a dumbass but teams running the ball on us plays into our hands.

Very few teams are actually willing to pound the ball (Tenn, Pitt, NE, excluded.)

pugsnotdrugs19
12-09-2016, 11:03 AM
The defense, with or without DJ, is still a turnover dependent defense. Whether it be by fumbles, INTs, or on downs, that's the identity they have built. But...

The offense still has potential to grow here. Charles is expected back, and that would give the ground game some real juice. Our receiving options are playing good football, Alex is playing in a way we aren't use to seeing in terms of YPA, the OL is pass protecting tremendously....

If the DJ injury does hurt the defense, the offense/STs needs to make up for it.

ModSocks
12-09-2016, 11:05 AM

LMAO

You couldn't run against our dime defense. We had a backup safety playing middle linebacker and you STILL couldn't run on us.

LMAO

Get fucked.

O.city
12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't know why teams don't continue to run the ball on the Chiefs. I mean, hell, last night, they played 2 high safeties for the entire 2nd half with a safety at ILB and they chucked it 41 times.

What the hell.

O.city
12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
LMAO

You couldn't run against our dime defense. We had a backup safety playing middle linebacker and you STILL couldn't run on us.

LMAO

Get ****ed.

Thats Clay.

DJ's left nut
12-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Thats Clay.

Yes it is.

Rausch
12-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Yes it is.

He's consistent...

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2016, 11:18 AM

You're not even a below average poster, Claynus

Rausch
12-09-2016, 11:21 AM
You're not even a below average poster, Claynus

I'm one of the most hated people on here and I've never been banned.

Not once.

And i'm quite the prick.

He's been banned, at minimum, 12 times...

LoneWolf
12-09-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm one of the most hated people on here and I've never been banned.

Not once.

And i'm quite the prick.

He's been banned, at minimum, 12 times...

Everyone on here knows that smasher is Clay. Why is he allowed to keep posting? I know he's Flopnuts' bottom bitch, but this is a clear violation of the TOS.

Titty Meat
12-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Leave the football takes alone and stick to your short films .gif boy

Chief Pagan
12-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Nah, it's just more fun to lull opponents to sleep before sucker punching them...

RaidersOftheCellar
12-09-2016, 12:45 PM

They allowed one legit scoring drive.

NWTF
12-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Call me a dumbass but teams running the ball on us plays into our hands.

Very few teams are actually willing to pound the ball (Tenn, Pitt, NE, excluded.)

Saw something a week or so ago about Run Defense not being as important as it used to be. As very few teams actually run the ball well nowadays and the ones that do arent much of a threat.

in the AFC they listed the 4 most efficient teams at running the ball as Miami, Bills, Titans, Raiders. Which I thought was surprising.

New England obviously is a dark horse and can flip the switch and become whatever they need to be, but other than Oakland, who I dont think is that great at rushing there are really no threats in the AFC to a weak rushing D.
Which probably helps explain the Chiefs and Raiders records despite ranking bad against the run.

Basically in todays game if your weak in one area on D let it be at stopping the run.

O.city
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Teams just won't commit to it. It seems to me you just have to not get anal gashed by the run and teams will inevitably start chucking it around.

Marcellus
12-09-2016, 01:23 PM
You know who is just above KC in run defense? That terrible Denver team.

ModSocks
12-09-2016, 01:24 PM
You know who is just above KC in run defense? That terrible Denver team.

Also weak at ILB....

ModSocks
12-09-2016, 01:25 PM
The defense can be bad at one thing, but we can't afford to be bad at two.

Hopefully Mitchell is the real deal and has that 2nd CB spot sealed up.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-09-2016, 01:26 PM
We'll be fine.

Been here before (no DJ). Strong leadership still there.

Marcellus
12-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Also weak at ILB....

Yea I am just pointing that out because I don't hear anyone calling Denver's defense a sham.

KChiefs1
12-09-2016, 01:31 PM

DL is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspchief
12-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but KC has done well against pretty much every qb mentioned in mvp discussion. Not too shabby.

scho63
12-09-2016, 02:46 PM

We were having problems with the run for most of the game. I think Carr did us a favor by throwing more with his bad pinky. He was off more than ever. :clap:

Raiders
3rd down efficiency 5-18

Big change for us

Rausch
12-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Basically in todays game if your weak in one area on D let it be at stopping the run.

Especially if you're a defensive team...

RINGLEADER
12-09-2016, 02:58 PM
We were having problems with the run for most of the game. I think Carr did us a favor by throwing more with his bad pinky. He was off more than ever. :clap:

Raiders
3rd down efficiency 5-18

Big change for us

That was the big win stat for us...

Now if we could only score points when we get the ball at midfield we'd really be on to something... ;)

Chiefshrink
12-09-2016, 07:27 PM
If the DJ injury does hurt the defense, the offense/STs needs to make up for it.

We have gotten gashed all season between the 20's but have been very effective with elite red zone defense. DJ's absence will be felt the most in the red zone IMHO. As someone said earlier his skills have diminished to some degree but his Pro Bowl instincts and experience make up for it in the red zone.

If Carr doesn't have grip issues(a la "pinky issues" - accuracy) they roll us in the 2nd half IMHO.