PDA

View Full Version : Weather Comcast workers cause wrecks, but following protocol

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 02:30 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sCEzEVJkO1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A battle on my FB is raging as to whether these guys should have done anything differently. They were technically within the cone rules, and the fault was definitely on the people driving too fast.

But personally I doubt those cone rules were written with an icy road and blind ridge in mind. I would even bet that if you went back and ask the people who wrote the rules they would say "Well yeah, if the minimum number of cones is insufficient to create a safe environment, then the technicians should use common sense."

I mean the whole point of the cone rule is to mitigate the safety hazard caused by the truck in the middle of the road. If it's blatantly obvious the cones aren't doing that job, then the technicians should make a decision on the spot, like we all do every day. That person under the front of their car could have easily been killed by that last wreck.

Looks like the state and Comcast looked into this, and Comcast has apologized. No word about disciplining the workers.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/state-comcast-investigating-viral-video-of-crashes-where-truck-blocked-traffic-on-icy-road

https://consumerist.com/2016/12/14/comcast-workers-dont-seem-to-care-that-their-truck-may-have-caused-half-dozen-accidents/

Dinny Bossa Nova
12-17-2016, 02:34 PM
I blame Alex Smith.

Alex Smith sucks.

Dinny

TribalElder
12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
At least my cable got turned back on

NWTF
12-17-2016, 03:02 PM
They should have up a Right Lane Closed Men Working sign a few hundred yards before the cones. But thats only for CYA, its not like the same impatient people will actually GAF. A lot of people are idiots when it comes to stuff like this and dont want to slow down or stop unless they absolutely have to.

BWillie
12-17-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't fault the Comcast guys one bit.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 03:06 PM
They should have up a Right Lane Closed Men Working sign a few hundred yards before the cones. But thats only for CYA, its not like the same impatient people will actually GAF. A lot of people are idiots when it comes to stuff like this and dont want to slow down or stop unless they absolutely have to.

Well a large part of the problem is the blind ridge. So if you can put some indicator at the top of that, presumably most would slow down.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 03:07 PM

What if someone died who wasn't even the one driving too fast? Would that change your opinion?

The Comcast guy even says he needs his own truck to protect himself from the mayhem (which ironically he's causing with his truck). So he knows he's causing a major safety hazard - and not just to the people driving too fast. He just only cares about protecting himself from it. That's bullshit imo.

This person could have easily been killed by that last wreck.

http://i.imgur.com/Ox7eiiQ.png

I will admit I wonder what the hell that person is thinking in that situation. But I still don't want to see them die for it.

Valiant
12-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Well the fact once they crest the ridge they are fucked. Hopefully Comcast will alter the policy. But it wont do any good. Should of called 911 to at least alert drivers.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Yeah it's amazing how long that went on and the cops never showed up. The Comcast guys just finished what they were doing and left. Apparently the dude in the pickup truck was a hit and run. They caught him a few days later.

SAUTO
12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
What if someone died who wasn't even the one driving too fast? Would that change your opinion?

The Comcast guy even says he needs his own truck to protect himself from the mayhem (which ironically he's causing with his truck). So he knows he's causing a major safety hazard - and not just to the people driving too fast. He just only cares about protecting himself from it. That's bullshit imo.

I will admit I wonder what the hell that person is thinking in that situation. But I still don't want to see them die for it.
Some one had already hit the junction box, that's why he was there fixing it. People were going off the road there prior to him being there, and I can see how he would feel his truck being there could help him.

Spott
12-17-2016, 03:36 PM
That dude had no business giving those guys a hard time. Like it's not a pain in the ass to be a lineman in weather like that, but to get berated by customers that don't know how to drive in bad weather is total bs.

oaklandhater
12-17-2016, 03:39 PM

if you follow the Reddit post the comcast guys broke the law There cone explanation was bullshit

Directional driller/ Equipment operator with a Flagging certificate for over 10 years here! I have been installing fiber optic and power lines for the past decade on roads just like this. Let me say first off that Combat broke multiple OSHA and DOT regulations here. When working withing any easement that is under 10 feet from the road or working from the road a minimum of 2 signs facing each lane of traffic must be placed a minimum of 500 feet from the site of work. To be a proper Lance closure they needed a roadwork ahead sign at 700 feet followed by a men working sign at 500 feet then a series of 5 cones minimum at the back of the truck forming a wedge from the right of the work lane to the left corner of the truck.

threebag
12-17-2016, 03:49 PM
The drivers caused the hazard in the first place and continued as they were doing repairs. The truck as a shield, hell yeah. All those idiots walking around inbetween cars when cars just keep piling up. Inmen level dumb.

Baby Lee
12-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Q

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=12617271&postcount=42

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sCEzEVJkO1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302675&highlight=comcast

dj56dt58
12-17-2016, 04:11 PM
all I see is a bunch of dumbshit drivers who don't know to slow down during bad road conditions

dj56dt58
12-17-2016, 04:12 PM
if you follow the Reddit post the comcast guys broke the law There cone explanation was bullshit

Directional driller/ Equipment operator with a Flagging certificate for over 10 years here! I have been installing fiber optic and power lines for the past decade on roads just like this. Let me say first off that Combat broke multiple OSHA and DOT regulations here. When working withing any easement that is under 10 feet from the road or working from the road a minimum of 2 signs facing each lane of traffic must be placed a minimum of 500 feet from the site of work. To be a proper Lance closure they needed a roadwork ahead sign at 700 feet followed by a men working sign at 500 feet then a series of 5 cones minimum at the back of the truck forming a wedge from the right of the work lane to the left corner of the truck.

I have never seen a road sign put up for utility work, only road work.

threebag
12-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Where's is fucks is the po-lease? Hemmin a brother down at the smoke shop? Wheez gots to have the White Owls.

jjjayb
If people would slow the fuck down it wouldn't be a problem. You notice the busses had no problem? Why? Because they were driving responsibly. There was plenty of distance between the ridge and the cones for people to see and react if they weren't driving too fast.

oaklandhater
I have never seen a road sign put up for utility work, only road work.

I have in California but mostly only during rain.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 04:14 PM
all I see is a bunch of dumbshit drivers who don't know to slow down during bad road conditions

What about the person in the car who was driving correctly but still got hit?

oaklandhater
12-17-2016, 04:14 PM
If people would slow the **** down it wouldn't be a problem. You notice the busses had no problem? Why? Because they were driving responsibly. There was plenty of distance between the ridge and the cones for people to see and react if they weren't driving too fast.

People drive faster then the speed limit its human nature.

kjwood75nro
12-17-2016, 04:27 PM
If people would slow the fuck down it wouldn't be a problem. You notice the busses had no problem? Why? Because they were driving responsibly. There was plenty of distance between the ridge and the cones for people to see and react if they weren't driving too fast.
Reminds me of some footage of a 5-minute multi-car wreck caused by icy conditions.

The one vehicle that got stopped in time? The 18-wheeler, the hardest one to stop.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
12-17-2016, 04:27 PM
There are 'laws' and there's common courtesy or even common sense that should come into play here

TimeForWasp
12-17-2016, 04:34 PM
What the fuck do cones have to do with it????

RobBlake
12-17-2016, 04:38 PM
**** those comcast guys. Common sense and a little care for safety would have saved a lot here. If there was a hill, then there should have been better warning, SPECIALLY DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS. Irresponsible and careless by those guys. The drivers should have been driving slower yes, but that could still happen even in slower driving conditions.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 04:40 PM

Right, like the car in the last wreck that was doing everything right but still got hit by the idiot in the truck. If I'm that car I'm mad at the truck first, but I'm also mad at the Comcast guys for not giving a shit about all the wrecks they were causing.

I just about got killed on the highway the other day when a semi realized he was taking the wrong highway to highway exit and came over into my lane. My first instinct was to get over to the lane next to me to the right. But there was a furniture delivery truck just flying up my ass in that lane who didn't even slow down - just honked at me when I started moving to get over. I had to slam on the brakes while the two trucks basically made a shrinking wedge around me that I barely escaped.

I was pissed as hell at the semi of course. But I was also super pissed at the smaller furniture delivery truck who saw the whole thing developing and could have easily slowed down. People need to not have their heads up their ass. Just because you're in your lane doesn't mean you can ignore everything else around you.

TambaBerry
12-17-2016, 04:52 PM
It's a perfect case of being overly confident driving in bad road conditions. It happens regardless of that truck being there hence the reason he was there. Someone already said off the road and hit the cable box. If people would have been driving a safe speed here absolutely no problems would have occurred.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 04:55 PM
No one is disputing that.

Chief Pote
12-17-2016, 05:06 PM
I would have ordered him to vacant the roadway. Whoever posted that the work requires advance warning signs is CORRECT. Flaggers and signs that state "one lane road ahead" are mandatory and not optional. The amount of cones is a funny statement....the speed limit does apply, but the code speaks of a transition distance. YOU CANT FUCKING LET PEOPLE FEND FOR THEMSELVES ON A TWO LANE HIGHWAY WHEN YOU CLOSE ONE LANE. I like running into those fuckers and kicking them off the road.

Demonpenz
12-17-2016, 05:13 PM
I hate it when some asshole knows that there is a two lane high way coming to one and he speeds up then expects to be let in. Then some bigger asshole lets him in. Fuck those guys.

cabletech94
12-17-2016, 05:14 PM

boom goes the dyn-n0-mite!!!!

i mean, i drive 55 mph in a 40 mph zone with ice and snow all the time.

maybe scoop mcscooperson could have gotten off his goddamn phone and called the police for some warnings. but heaven forbid anyone use any common sense in the winter months......

Hamwallet
12-17-2016, 05:15 PM
This was on Reddit. They have been blasted with phone calls and complaints. Not going to end well for them.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Given Comcast's openly hostile customer service, "because fuck you" seems to be a company-wide attitude.

Chief Pote
12-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Hahaha. Just read the OSHA complaint link, hell those guys will be lucky if they have a job on Monday. They better have a good union to protect their worthless asses.

notorious
12-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Learn how to fucking drive. :facepalm:

Earthling
12-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Pay some flaggers to control the flow. Cheap assed sons of bitches.

notorious
12-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Pay some flaggers to control the flow. Cheap assed sons of bitches.

People don't pay attention. They would probably hit the flagger.

suzzer99
12-17-2016, 05:46 PM
How about park one of the trucks at the top of the hill? Seems like that would make it safer for everyone including the Comcast technicians themselves.

TambaBerry
12-17-2016, 06:45 PM
It's amazing how anyone can be mad at anyone but the drivers. That's a one lane road, you could easily slide and get in a head in collision and these idiots are driving the speed limit or over it. If they were driving a safe speed with the given conditions that is more then enough room to slow down and even stop without any problems.

TambaBerry
12-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Shit the guy even goes and gets cones he places on the top of the hill and people still come in out of control

threebag
12-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Looked like plenty of room to maneuver at a safe speed. The incline didn't seem steep and the trucks are tall. Plenty of room for anyone without their head in their ass to stop.

TribalElder
12-17-2016, 09:53 PM
The pussification of America

jjjayb
12-17-2016, 09:56 PM
It's amazing how anyone can be mad at anyone but the drivers. That's a one lane road, you could easily slide and get in a head in collision and these idiots are driving the speed limit or over it. If they were driving a safe speed with the given conditions that is more then enough room to slow down and even stop without any problems.

I'd like to see the break down between liberals and conservatives on who thinks who is to blame. I'm going to guess more conservatives think the drivers need to slow down because of the bad conditions and the liberals think the workers need to be responsible for the driver's inability to adjust to the weather conditions. :D

On a side note, anyone have to drive in KC this morning? I saw at least a dozen accidents on my way to work. Comcast workers fault? No, just assholes that think they can drive the same speed when it's icy as they can when it's dry.

UL Washington
12-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Aren't all traffic laws dependent on prevailing current weather conditions? Doesn't common sense dictate not closing a lane on 2 lane highway on a hill in an ice storm?

For example speed limits are contingent on current weather conditions, just because it's posted at 55 doesn't mean you're entitled to go 55 in white out conditions and not be ticketed.

**** Comcast, ****ing scum company.

BWillie
12-18-2016, 12:29 AM
Unbelievable. People pissed at Comcast. Comcast is in a position here where they are screwed either way. A car had ALREADY slid off the road and hit the cable junction box which CAUSED Comcast to have to come out there in the 1st place. The slick roadway was an issue BEFORE Comcast even came out. The proximate cause is drivers failing to drive at a speed safe for the conditions. The Comcast workers are trying to fix this issue as quickly as possible. If they refuse to fix it, their thousands of customers will have no communications in this area and will get super pissed. If they tend to it as quick as possible, they get shit on too?

Newsflash, drive a safe ****ing speed for conditions. The guy making this video infuriates me. Badgering these guys who are trying to do their job as well as they know how. Blaming someone else for people failing to drive in a safe and prudent manner. Adding more cones at the top of the hill would probably make it even more of an issue for idiot motorists who would freak out even more.

BWillie
12-18-2016, 12:33 AM

That said person is acting like a idiot by getting underneath their stranded car in a known dangerous road condition. Take some fucking responsibility for your own actions and your failure to maintain control of your vehicle in bad road conditions.

BWillie
12-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Aren't all traffic laws dependent on prevailing current weather conditions? Doesn't common sense dictate not closing a lane on 2 lane highway on a hill in an ice storm?

For example speed limits are contingent on current weather conditions, just because it's posted at 55 doesn't mean you're entitled to go 55 in white out conditions and not be ticketed.

**** Comcast, ****ing scum company.

Absolutely. You can actually be ticketed for speeding or going to fast for conditions even if you are driving 40 mph in a 65 mph because there is a fucking blizzard. Good grief....people need to stop blaming others for their inability to maneuver through life. Give the Darwin award for these drivers, and most of the idiots I saw today speeding down ice covered roads.

Baby Lee
12-18-2016, 08:48 AM
I'd like to see the break down between liberals and conservatives on who thinks who is to blame. I'm going to guess more conservatives think the drivers need to slow down because of the bad conditions and the liberals think the workers need to be responsible for the driver's inability to adjust to the weather conditions. :D

On a side note, anyone have to drive in KC this morning? I saw at least a dozen accidents on my way to work. Comcast workers fault? No, just assholes that think they can drive the same speed when it's icy as they can when it's dry.

For me, it comes down to constructive notice.

Those driving too fast are in their own sphere of 'wrong' here, but the Comcast guys are on notice that their presence is increasing the incidence of collisions and have a reasonable inference regarding the cause and thus a reasonable avenue for amelioration.

In short, they're sitting where they have a right to be following protocol, but they know by experience that this situation is causing accidents because where they are sitting isn't visible until the crest of the hill and the distance from the crest is insufficient for motorists to alter their driving patterns.

The non-negligent solution is to place a visible warning at the crest of the hill. This provides reasonable warning that conditions on the other side are abnormal.

I'd analogize it to having a space heater that is shorting out and electrocuting anyone who touches it. There are two people who have died of electrocution in your presence and more people are gathering around the space heater. But on visual inspection, it's a properly working, warmly glowing, heater.

Certainly people shouldn't be touching a space heater, but you KNOW that some have and have died because although they were ready for the heater to be hot, they were not in possession of the knowledge you have that it is also coursing with electricity. The non-negligent thing to do is advise people that the space heater can electrocute you.

Earthling
12-18-2016, 09:18 AM

Make Comcast great again?

Spott
12-18-2016, 09:59 AM

I'd like for political discussions to remain in the DC lounge where it belongs.

-King-
12-18-2016, 10:03 AM

I wonder if people talk like this in real life and if they realize how silly they sound. LIBRULZ!! ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

veist
12-18-2016, 10:43 AM
I mean the OSHA recommendation for a dry road is a 170' buffer for a work zone along a 40mph road and a lane closure like that requires a men at work sign.

Hoopsdoc
12-18-2016, 11:28 AM
There is fault on both sides. People should slow the heck down in conditions like that, first of all. But when the Comcast workers see that they aren't, they HAVE to make other arrangements. Put cones on top of the hill, further back. It's not like it's hard to do.

Molitoth
12-18-2016, 11:36 AM
There is fault on both sides. People should slow the heck down in conditions like that, first of all. But when the Comcast workers see that they aren't, they HAVE to make other arrangements. Put cones on top of the hill, further back. It's not like it's hard to do.

This

threebag
12-18-2016, 11:40 AM
The other guy had cones up there and you see what the black truck/beater did at the end.

Fish
12-18-2016, 11:47 AM
http://i66.tinypic.com/24wggt1.jpg