PDA

View Full Version : Football Troy Aikman: A football life.

Rain Man
12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
It was very interesting. A few tidbits if you're interested.

He won the state typing championship in Oklahoma in high school.

When he was highly recruited as a high school kid in Oklahoma, the two major college coaches at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson.

He chose Switzer over Jimmy Johnson, but he lost his starting job at Oklahoma after he got hurt, to Jamelle Holieway. Jimmy Johnson was now at Miami and tried to get him to go there, but he went to UCLA because he'd lived in California as a kid and liked it.

The Packers were in line for the top pick and wanted Aikman, but won their last game, giving Dallas the top pick. He threw for Tom Landry, but then before the draft the team was sold and the new coach was named...Jimmy Johnson. In the auxiliary draft before Aikman, Jimmy Johnson drafted his former Miami QB, Steve Walsh.

Johnson said he planned to trade Walsh and created a controversy to build up Walsh's value, but his coaching staff was all from Miami and they all liked Walsh. The QB coach had to stand up and say, "You all are crazy."

Aikman got hurt his first couple of years. The Cowboys' first playoff victory in the Aikman era was quarterbacked by Steve Beuerlein, and Aikman's first playoff game was a blowout loss to Detroit.

After Aikman fought off Walsh and Beuerlein for the starting job, they won a couple of Super Bowls and then Johnson was fired and replaced by Barry Switzer, who had benched Aikman back in college.

The story implied that Aikman basically led the entire team when Switzer was there because Switzer was all lazy and laid back. One day Michael Irvin took players out to "party" all night and they all showed up to practice hung over. Aikman yelled that they should run laps and then that they should cut the borderline players, but Switzer just decided to call off practice. They showed a pretty epic sideline rant during a game where Aikman was calling out Switzer to that little guy who ended up being head coach. (Campo.)

Irvin was grateful that Troy showed up at his drug trial. That's the Irvin we all know.

He almost came back three years after retirement when Dave Wannstedt called from the Dolphins. He started training, but the Dolphins decided not to sign him.

Demonpenz
12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
gay

Rain Man
12-17-2016, 05:07 PM
gay

They didn't mention that, but he has two daughters, which argues against that theory.

Rain Man
12-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Now I'm watching Chuck Noll.

He started as a player for Paul Brown, then became an assistant for both Sid Gillman and Don Shula.

Demonpenz
12-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Troy Aikman's wife is bizzaro Kurt Warners wife.

Sandy Vagina
12-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Troy seems like a nice enough guy, but I still feel he got silver-spooned to greatness.

**** the Dallas Cowboys.

Rain Man
12-17-2016, 05:22 PM
I liked Chuck Noll's statement about motivation. "If I have to give you a motivational speech, I'm going to fire you."

Tombstone RJ
12-17-2016, 05:44 PM
I was impressed with Aikmans story. Lots and of twists and turns and basically confirmed my suspicions that when Jimmy Johnson left the team, it became a joke of a franchise that continued to win only because of how much talent was on that team.

Easy 6
12-17-2016, 06:20 PM
He was better off not wasting his time with Dave Wannstedt

threebag
12-17-2016, 11:46 PM
gay

They didn't mention that, but he has two daughters, which argues against that theory.

Joe Buck?

Miles
12-18-2016, 01:17 AM
Member that one season Aikman threw for over 20 TDs?

tomahawk kid
12-18-2016, 08:25 AM
I very much enjoyed both the Aikman and Chuck Noll "Football Lives".

I found the Noll episode particularly fascinating, especially regarding his relationship with Terry Bradshaw.

After publically apologizing and embracing Noll in 2003, Terry now seems to have gone back to his "bitter" roots. He even stated (during his interview) this was the last time he would "talk about Noll".

I immediately put Michael Maccambridge's book on my Christmas list.

jjchieffan
12-18-2016, 08:49 AM
They should have called this one a football fraud. The guy was a JAG made to look good by Enmity Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jimmy Johnson's system. Dave Krieg would have been a hall of famer in that situation. But he played for the Seahags and the Chiefs.