PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs December 25, 1971 (45 years ago today)

MatriculatingHank
12-25-2016, 12:48 PM
45 years ago today, December 25, 1971, was the worst Christmas of my childhood. I was 11 years old and a loyal Chiefs fan. What makes it so interesting that I live 9 hours away from Kansas City in North Mississippi. Anyway, back to my story.
I awoke that fateful Christmas day to some wonderful gifts: A Chiefs helmet, A Chiefs letterman jacket (see photo), and other assorted Chiefs products that could only be purchased through the Sears and J C Penny Christmas Wish Books. A GREAT way to begin the day (hold that thought)

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr126/lunaticfringe1960/chiefs72.jpg?1482691612343&1482691613391&1482691614484

I spent the day traveling to my grandparents house constantly reminding my parents that the Chiefs were playing that evening in a playoff game. "I HAVE to be home in time to see the game" was my constant plea throughout the day. I was so happy that they finally gave in made our way back to the house.
The 1971 Chiefs were perhaps the best team that Hank Stram ever had the pleasure of coaching. I was so thrilled at the thoughts of them making their way back to the Super Bowl for a third time (twice in 2 years.)
The game started off wonderfully with Ed Podolak scoring the first touchdown. He would go on to have the game of his career. All looked great for the Chiefs. Unfortunately, it wouldn't end that way:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/sports/football/dolphins-and-chiefs-look-back-on-a-muddy-little-christmas-in-1971.html

After the left footed kicker from Cyprus put the nail in the Chiefs hopes of another Super Bowl visit, I was devastated. I screamed, cursed, threw anything I could get my hands on, and acted a total jackass. My parents immediately beat my ass, grounded me indefinitely, and put my Christmas gifts in holding for a week. I have never had such a terrible Christmas before or since.
Hard to believe that was 45 years ago today. Yet another tragic Chiefs story from a die hard fan. But hey, they're playing again tonight on December 25th. Poised perhaps for yet another Super Bowl visit. Regardless of the outcome I hope that the 11 year old in me doesn't rear his ugly head.

NJChiefsFan
12-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I exhibit some of those traits and I'm not 11. At least you had an excuse. Football is an emotional outlet for me as an otherwise calm person. I actually think it's therapeutic for me in a way. Wasn't alive to know the day of which you speak, but the theme is familiar.

Rain Man
12-25-2016, 12:55 PM
I want Andy to deliver us from this.

rockymtnchief
12-25-2016, 12:59 PM
The day I became a Chiefs fan.

BlackHelicopters
12-25-2016, 01:20 PM
I was only 7 years old, but I remember the game as if it just happened. My father sentenced me to be a Chuefs fan, and I never forget that Christmas. I love my father, but I ask him why Chuefs every Christmas.

Simply Red
12-25-2016, 01:22 PM
I was only 7 years old, but I remember the game as if it just happened. My father sentenced me to be a Chiefs fan, and I never forget that Christmas. I love my father, but I ask him why Chiefs every Christmas.

I never knew you were older than me.

TEX
12-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Was watching it with my father and uncle. It was the first time I became bummed after a game. Boy, I had no idea that I was in for a lifetime of that...lol!

My father has since passed away, but my uncle is still here. Though he's getting up there in age (87), we will be watching the game today together!

GO CHIEFS!

big nasty kcnut
12-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Come on let not bring up the past it time to embrace the future!!!!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-25-2016, 01:25 PM
We're ALL getting a great Christmas present tonight.

Even better than the box of insulated disposable gloves I unwrapped this morning.

BlackHelicopters
12-25-2016, 01:27 PM
I never knew you were older than me.

You seem nice.

carcosa
12-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Y'all old as fuck

Simply Red
12-25-2016, 01:34 PM
You seem nice.

U too do!

srvy
12-25-2016, 01:44 PM
I was 15 we opened our presents then me my brother set off with Dad to be dropped at Gold Buffet to ride bus to game. then the overtimes and then the crushing loss and the long bus ride home dad picked us up he looked disappointed too. He said Mom had kept xmas dinner warm for us me and my brother barley ate it was by far worst xmas till dad died in 2006 a little more than a month before xmas.

Easy 6
12-25-2016, 02:16 PM
I was 12 days from being born on that day in 1971

But I understand your frustration completely... at least you've had the pleasure of watching KC in the big game :D

Reerun_KC
12-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Unreal how much heartbreak and disappointment we have endured as chiefs fans.

Pointer19
12-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Wowzers. This Christmas will make up for that one. I'm sure of it.

cdcox
12-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Heh, let me dig up some pics from that day. This should be good.

splatbass
12-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I was 10 years old. My dad went to the game with some of his friends. I saw it on TV. A bad day. But not being a very demonstrative person I did not yell, curse or throw things. I'm sure it was much worse for my dad on that long drive home with his friends.

Kman34
12-25-2016, 02:41 PM
I was at my Grandma and Grandpas house.. They wouldn't allow the game on the TV but did let us listen on the Radio.... Seemed so much more crushing hearing it than seeing it... Needless to say it put a damper on the festivities....

EPodolak
12-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Stenerud said he thought about that game and his misses every day of his life.

cdcox
12-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Heh, let me dig up some pics from that day. This should be good.

Bummer. None of the pictures from that day made it into the photo album mom made of my childhood. Those pics must still be in KC at their house.

KChiefs1
12-25-2016, 03:41 PM
45 years ago today, December 25, 1971, was the worst Christmas of my childhood. I was 11 years old and a loyal Chiefs fan. What makes it so interesting that I live 9 hours away from Kansas City in North Mississippi. Anyway, back to my story.

I awoke that fateful Christmas day to some wonderful gifts: A Chiefs helmet, A Chiefs letterman jacket (see photo), and other assorted Chiefs products that could only be purchased through the Sears and J C Penny Christmas Wish Books. A GREAT way to begin the day (hold that thought)

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr126/lunaticfringe1960/chiefs72.jpg?1482691612343&1482691613391&1482691614484

I spent the day traveling to my grandparents house constantly reminding my parents that the Chiefs were playing that evening in a playoff game. "I HAVE to be home in time to see the game" was my constant plea throughout the day. I was so happy that they finally gave in made our way back to the house.

The 1971 Chiefs were perhaps the best team that Hank Stram ever had the pleasure of coaching. I was so thrilled at the thoughts of them making their way back to the Super Bowl for a third time (twice in 2 years.)

The game started off wonderfully with Ed Podolak scoring the first touchdown. He would go on to have the game of his career. All looked great for the Chiefs. Unfortunately, it wouldn't end that way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/sports/football/dolphins-and-chiefs-look-back-on-a-muddy-little-christmas-in-1971.html

After the left footed kicker from Cyprus put the nail in the Chiefs hopes of another Super Bowl visit, I was devastated. I screamed, cursed, threw anything I could get my hands on, and acted a total jackass. My parents immediately beat my ass, grounded me indefinitely, and put my Christmas gifts in holding for a week. I have never had such a terrible Christmas before or since.

Hard to believe that was 45 years ago today. Yet another tragic Chiefs story from a die hard fan. But hey, they're playing again tonight on December 25th. Poised perhaps for yet another Super Bowl visit. Regardless of the outcome I hope that the 11 year old in me doesn't rear his ugly head.

I too was 11...also my worst Christmas ever...I was at my grandparents house in Iberia when they still didn't have running water & used an outhouse but my grandpa had a 19" black & white tv. He let me sit in his chair right in front of the tv because he knew what that game meant to me. I remember opening presents & eating with the Cowboys vs Vikings game on with no sound. Everyone knew what was for dessert for me. I remember I got an instamatic camera & my grandpa took a picture of my dad & me. I have it somewhere.

I remember being a fidgety mess during the game & the heartbreaking ending. I was young & the Chiefs had always been great so I wasn't worried about them as they were all my heroes.

Ahhh to be young again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealSNR
12-25-2016, 04:19 PM
You deserved that beatdown, ginger!

Demonpenz
12-25-2016, 04:30 PM
My dad took me to a chiefs game and steered me towards being a fan. He is in a home now.

Reerun_KC
12-25-2016, 04:31 PM
My dad took me to a chiefs game and steered me towards being a fan. He is in a home now.

ROFL

KChiefs1
12-25-2019, 08:46 PM
18th best game in NFL history.

Should have been higher.