PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Side of Beef

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 10:10 AM
School me on getting a side of beef. A buddy asked if we'd like to split a side of beef. Sounds like they're talking $1440+350 processing for a 1200# steer, net about 750#.

That a decent deal? How much freezer space should I expect to need?

Simply Red
12-29-2016, 10:28 AM
It's been a long time. Seems we had freezer burn issues.

I don't know I'd ever recommend it - but could have just been my OWN experience (and others have had better luck)

BlackHelicopters
12-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Get a hind quarter instead.

sedated
12-29-2016, 10:36 AM
^^^ For freezer burn, try aluminium foil

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Get a hind quarter instead.

since we'd be splitting a side, we'd end up with a quarter...

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 10:40 AM
does that net sound about right? price?

Hoover
12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Are you spliting a side, or getting an entire side of beef?

I do think frequently. I tyically tell them I don't want any stew meay and limit my the number of roasts, so most of mine is steaks and hamburger which we actually will go through at a pretty good clip.

Hoover
12-29-2016, 10:42 AM
$1440+350 divided by 2 sounds right.

jjchieffan
12-29-2016, 10:43 AM
School me on getting a side of beef. A buddy asked if we'd like to split a side of beef. Sounds like they're talking $1440+350 processing for a 1200# steer, net about 750#.

Well, just do the math. $1790 for 750 pounds of beef comes out to about $2.40 per pound. Heck yeah that's a good deal. You can't get hamburger for that and you will be getting steaks and roasts as well. your half would be 375 pounds, That will take up a lot of freezer space. I assume that you have a deep freeze or an upright freezer right? Because it's not fitting in your side by side. You should figure on a cubic foot holding 35-40 pounds, so you need roughly 10 cubic feet. I think that if you have the money to do it, you should absolutely do it. The fact that it's a steer is a big bonus too. You never know what you're getting in the store. Old cows and bulls are butchered all the time and are much lower quality meat, but they are much cheaper too, so they end up in stores. That steer will be all young, tender, high quality beef.

BlackHelicopters
12-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Hind quarter has more steak. Limit your roasts . If your family is large, a side is good. A hind quarter works for 2-3 person households.

Buehler445
12-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Not a lot of freezer space, but certainly more than is available in a refrigerator.

Get a good packer. A good cow can't save a bad butcher.

Get a good cow. A good butcher can't save a bad cow.

I can't remember where you are, but make sure the critter comes from a good feedyard. At the very least finished on grain. Local outfit here has a program, I can't remember what it is called, but there is no antibiotics after a certain time and no horomones. They're quite a bit more expensive, but the meat is the best you will get. I'd recommend that. Make sure you know where the feedyard is and how they finished them. Make sure they age it at least 2 weeks.

I have no idea what cows are worth at the moment, but the processing is reasonable.

I've never had a freezer burn issue. Even on stuff I've kept for WAAAAY too long. I don't know where that is coming from. Probably bad packaging.

If you can, see if they will wrap everything in butcher paper after the plastic. None of them around here will do it anymore, but the paper stacks in the freezer a hell of a lot easier since it is less slick than plastic.

Buehler445
12-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Not a lot of freezer space, but certainly more than is available in a refrigerator.

I can't remember where you are, but make sure the critter comes from a good feedyard. At the very least finished on grain. Local outfit here has a program, I can't remember what it is called, but there is no antibiotics after a certain time and no horomones. They're quite a bit more expensive, but the meat is the best you will get. I'd recommend that. Make sure you know where the feedyard is and how they finished them. Make sure they age it at least 2 weeks.

I have no idea what cows are worth at the moment, but the processing is reasonable.

I've never had a freezer burn issue. Even on stuff I've kept for WAAAAY too long. I don't know where that is coming from. Probably bad packaging.

If you can, see if they will wrap everything in butcher paper after the plastic. None of them around here will do it anymore, but the paper stacks in the freezer a hell of a lot easier since it is less slick than plastic.

Oh, and as far as cuts, I just get steaks and hamburger. But maybe you would use other cuts of meat more than we do. If you roll the roasts and rounds and stuff back into the hamburger it makes for a lot better hamburger.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 11:16 AM

thanks. We have a 7cf chest freezer, but it sounds like it may be time to upgrade to a larger upright.

The farmer is a mutual acquatance of mine and the buddy, he's up in Sabetha, we're in Topeka. Definitely finished on grain, already asked that as I hate the taste of grass fed.

jjchieffan
12-29-2016, 11:19 AM
thanks. We have a 7cf chest freezer, but it sounds like it may be time to upgrade to a larger upright.

The farmer is a mutual acquatance of mine and the buddy, he's up in Sabetha, we're in Topeka. Definitely finished on grain, already asked that as I hate the taste of grass fed.

I thought that you were getting half of 750 pounds. But you said that you are getting half of the side, so roughly 185 pounds or so? If so, then your 7cf freezer should be enough unless it is already pretty full.

ptlyon
12-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Definitely finished on grain, already asked that as I hate the taste of grass fed.

Good man. Had a steak in Tejas visiting friends in SAT earlier this year and it was the worst steak I've ever eaten.

Pointer19
12-29-2016, 11:24 AM
I don't have any knowledge on this thread, but I'm going to have to find a steer splittin' buddy when I get a house back west. :)

jspchief
12-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Hind quarter has more steak. Limit your roasts . If your family is large, a side is good. A hind quarter works for 2-3 person households.
Often you don't get the choice of getting the hind quarter. You're getting a "half of a half" where they divide the cuts evenly between the two people.

The meat locker will go through the cuts with you over the phone. They go through a checklist or sorts; "do you want X or Y?" Etc. You have some flexibility, but not "make all mine into ribeyes" level of choice.

The meat isn't going to be trimmed like it is in a grocery. You may finds some cuts that are more fatty or grisly than what you're used to. Not to say better or worse in regards to taste, but different . If you're not the type to eat meat from your freezer, you may find it difficult to get in the routine. I buy fresh and cook it within a day or two, so I personally had issues planning ahead and thawing things (I hate thawing via microwave).

HonestChieffan
12-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Ive raised and sold a ton of beef on the hoof. And a half can be a great thing if you have kids especially. But you won't be saving a lot of money. And if you are a good buyer at Costco and have a freezer and a vac sealer, Costco will be better...great met, very competitive prices, have some great sales on choice and prime. Off the farm like you describe will likley grade select or choice

The processor can screw u huge if they do all their ground beef as same same....you end up with who knows what.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 12:05 PM
I thought that you were getting half of 750 pounds. But you said that you are getting half of the side, so roughly 185 pounds or so? If so, then your 7cf freezer should be enough unless it is already pretty full.

yeah, you are correct. It is pretty full though, would probably want to upgrade.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Ive raised and sold a ton of beef on the hoof. And a half can be a great thing if you have kids especially. But you won't be saving a lot of money. And if you are a good buyer at Costco and have a freezer and a vac sealer, Costco will be better...great met, very competitive prices, have some great sales on choice and prime. Off the farm like you describe will likley grade select or choice

The processor can screw u huge if they do all their ground beef as same same....you end up with who knows what.
we don't have Costco, only Sams. We do buy 90/10 burger there, and the occasional ribeye when they have a good deal (8.99/lb or better).

O.city
12-29-2016, 12:23 PM
We always do a third of the side of beef with 2 other buddies. I always buy steaks and high end meat for occasions so we just get hamburger meat, roasts, etc and throw in the freezer.

Sounds like a good deal.

R Clark
12-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Beef grades out at 65 percent ,I think fat cattle are selling for around a dollar and fourteen cents

displacedinMN
12-29-2016, 12:30 PM
IF I remember right from when dad gave us 1/2

a 1200 pound animal will yield around 62% meat so that is 756 pounds. Divided by 1/2 is:
378 pounds of meat. Any one can feel free to correct me.

How ever you work it out for cost and processing is the multiplier. It still comes out to paying less for a pound of 93% lean hamburger compared to $6 at the store. Prime meat you save more.

Think about:
How long does the butcher hang it? Longer the better.

How much hamburger you want. do you want it in patties. How many in a pack? Do you want 1 pound or two pound packs of regular hamburger?

How thick do you want the steaks. 1" 1 1/2" Bigger steaks-less steaks. Don't invite the whole family and friends over for steaks, or you will never have any for yourself.
Long story about ex-sis in law bitch.

Prime rib? seasoned? Roasts seasoned or not?

keeping liver or tongue? Yuck

I think we have a 16 cu ft freezer and our 1/2 almost fills it.

HemiEd
12-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Good thread with some good information.

We get a 1/4 every year and I still picked up on some good points.

The processor our farmer uses was putting the hamburger in approx 2 lb. packs and I finally got it changed to 1 lb. The 2 lb. led to a lot of waste and over indulging for the two of us.

He wraps the roast and steaks in plastic them freezer wrap as mentioned, never had a problem with freezer burn.

MOhillbilly
12-29-2016, 03:00 PM

your hanging weight is 750?
your 'in the freezer' will rise and fall with the amount of deboning/grind that you turn in on your cut sheet. You should expect from 55 to 75% of the hang weight to be packaged. 65 is the 'rule of thumb'.

Custom cuts, tenderizing, deboning, ect, also add to processing costs.

BWillie
12-29-2016, 04:56 PM

You wanna die early? I mean, I apparently do, I eat steak and red meat about 2 or 3 times a week. But shit, thats a ton of meat.

Bwana
12-29-2016, 05:10 PM
I was just thinking about this today. I think I'm going to order a half right after the first of the year.

SAUTO
12-29-2016, 05:28 PM
You wanna die early? I mean, I apparently do, I eat steak and red meat about 2 or 3 times a week. But shit, thats a ton of meat.

My grandpa died at 93 and ate red meat at 90% of meals.

threebag
12-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I got an "in"at my butcher. I just bought Choice NY strip in cryovac and it worked out to less than $3.00 a pound. Angus grain fed beef. No antibiotics no hormones. I regularly get deals like this. A couple months ago i bought about 12 briskets at a Buck a pound. It has been a burnt end extravaganza

Bwana
12-29-2016, 05:43 PM
I got an "in"at my butcher. I just bought Choice NY strip in cryovac and it worked out to less than $3.00 a pound. Angus grain fed beef. No antibiotics no hormones. I regularly get deals like this. A couple months ago i bought about 12 briskets at a Buck a pound.

Damn those are some sweet prices. I have access to a wholesaler myself, these guys have all kinds of meat even seafood like crab, lobster and shrimp. I need to compare what he can do for me compared to the butcher I normally use.

threebag
12-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Damn those are some sweet prices. I have access to a wholesaler myself, these guys have all kinds of meat even seafood like crab, lobster and shrimp. I need to compare what he can do for me compared to the butcher I normally use.

Yeah he distributes everything. Even has vegetables at times. When in season. He also is the only place i can get my FANESTIL 8 to 1 Hot Links. If you can get these links they are a game changer at your BBQs

Bwana
12-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Yeah he distributes everything. Even has vegetables at times. When in season. He also is the only place i can get my FANESTIL 8 to 1 Hot Links. If you can get these links they are a game changer at your BBQs

Really, I'll have to try to run some down and give them a shot.

threebag
12-29-2016, 06:07 PM
emporia Ks is where they are processed. They come in a 10lb box consisting of 2/ 5lb bags. 40 links a bag. 8 links to a pound. They are stellar. They also have 4 to 1 and. 5 to 1 lengths.

Bwana
12-29-2016, 06:18 PM
emporia Ks is where they are processed. They come in a 10lb box consisting of 2/ 5lb bags. 40 links a bag. 8 links to a pound. They are stellar. They also have 4 to 1 and. 5 to 1 lengths.

Hmm, unless they decide to distribute to this area, I may have to take your word for it. The shipping would kill me.

http://www.fanestils.com/orderinfo/

The only way I'm paying those shipping rates is if this driver delivers it and stays awhile.

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u512/Wepox/UPS-What-Can-Brown-Do-For-You-girls-9259966-1024-768.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjTrZTF05rRAhVG8mMKHaytBUUQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwesharepics.info%2Fimagetgkl-truck-quotes-for-girls.asp&bvm=bv.142059868,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNGHzw0Tny_esNZwU5tqeOeH89pfaw&ust=1483143661687312)

ghak99
12-29-2016, 06:28 PM
These guys covered the basics above, but I want to emphasize the importance of properly aging the carcass. It can have huge impacts on meat quality and your eating experience. If you have to pay extra to have them age it properly, by all means, pay extra!

Having to pay extra can be a sign of a butcher who doesn't take the process serious though. It might even be reason enough to find one who does for the next beef you buy.