PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Andy Reid Monday: Everyone should be good to play, players off for the week

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 02:54 PM
From a conference call this afternoon:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Everybody should be back by the next game.&quot;<br><br>~ AndyReid on injuries w/ an exception being LB Dadi Nicolas. Said others were precautionary.</p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/815986286368587776">January 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid said that the players will be in today, then they will be let go until next Monday.</p>&mdash; Pete Sweeney (@pgsween) <a href="https://twitter.com/pgsween/status/815986093288017921">January 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid said Tommy Brasher (special projects) will have finished advanced scouting of opponents <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> could face before this weekend.</p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/815987773916188672">January 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andy Reid said 2016 version of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> is similar to last year heading into divisional round, but healthier &amp; have Tyreek Hill.</p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/815989108149456896">January 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So, all in all its good news for the Chiefs heading into the bye. Houston, Ware, Berry, Maclin and everyone except for Dadi Nicolas are set to play in the divisional round. Best wishes to Nicolas, the patella tendon is a tough recovery but guys are doing it nowadays.

NJChiefsFan
01-02-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm assuming when he says we are healthier he means of the active players. The IR list is of legitimate stature.

carcosa
01-02-2017, 03:01 PM
They are gonna be PREPARED AF!!!!

KChiefs1
01-02-2017, 03:03 PM
I like that he is treating it like a regular bye week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm assuming when he says we are healthier he means of the active players. The IR list is of legitimate stature.

Definitely.

We've had it pretty rough this year but I think having Houston/Maclin/Hill/Jones is > than having DJ/Bailey/Howard/Ehinger by a long shot. (Charles wasn't here last year either so he doesn't really count.)

BoneKrusher
01-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Good news, we need our pass rusher back to compete.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 03:06 PM
I like that he is treating it like a regular bye week.

May as well. These guys are pros, they don't need to sit in meetings or practices for an extra week to know the task at hand.

At this point, resting their bodies is more important IMO.

Dinny Bossa Nova
01-02-2017, 03:07 PM
I say we got those.....that next team we play right where we want 'em.

Dinny

ModSocks
01-02-2017, 03:09 PM
ADVANCED scouting. You hear that motherfuckers? ADVANCED.

We know what these fools are gonna eat for lunch. That's how advanced our scouting is.

Simply Red
01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CSLtNtStIog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sandy Vagina
01-02-2017, 03:30 PM
May as well. These guys are pros, they don't need to sit in meetings or practices for an extra week to know the task at hand.

At this point, resting their bodies is more important IMO.

Definitely no field work, but I'd sure be smiling more to have read that they are getting together throughout the week to study the tape, future opponents, and staying mentally plugged in. :shrug:

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Definitely no field work, but I'd sure be smiling more to have read that they are getting together throughout the week to study the tape, future opponents, and staying mentally plugged in. :shrug:

Yeah, tough to say. Andy is 19-2 off the bye including playoffs, so I say do whatever you have always done (which is what it sounds like they are doing).

I'm good with this approach for sure. The coaches will still get plenty of extra time to look at Pittsburgh and whatever other teams they choose.

Renegade
01-02-2017, 03:48 PM
So Andy is 19-2 after a bye.

20-2 after divisional round bye

21-2 after Superbowl (after a bye for AFCCG)

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 03:54 PM

He's 16-2 in the regular season off a bye, and 3-0 in the divisional round off of a wild card bye. 19-2 total.

carcosa
01-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Hope the fellas go for light jogs during the off week to stay limber!

TimBone
01-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I say we got those.....that next team we play right where we want 'em.

Dinny
Should probably wait and see what Sorter says.

TimBone

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 04:47 PM
So, all in all its good news for the Chiefs heading into the bye. Houston, Ware, Berry, Maclin and everyone except for Dadi Nicolas are set to play in the divisional round. Best wishes to Nicolas, the patella tendon is a tough recovery but guys are doing it nowadays.

It'll be a shock if Nicolas returns before the 2018 season, if ever.

That's a 12 month rehab at minimum for a pro athlete, especially a pass rusher.

booger
01-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Be interested in who takes that spot on the 53. David King I would like to think would be nice to have to spot Jones RNR and Poe in the dime packs as an interior rusher. Could go Des Moses too I guess

pugsnotdrugs19
01-02-2017, 05:08 PM
It'll be a shock if Nicolas returns before the 2018 season, if ever.

That's a 12 month rehab at minimum for a pro athlete, especially a pass rusher.

Use to, that was the thought. But Jimmy Graham had the same injury last year and returned by week 1, a total 10 month recovery.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2017, 05:11 PM
They are gonna be PREPARED AF!!!!
Yea, they should be ready for everything after taking the week off.

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Use to, that was the thought. But Jimmy Graham had the same injury last year and returned by week 1, a total 10 month recovery.

And Victor Cruz has never been the same.

I wouldn't count on Nicolas returning next year, if ever.

It's a far worse injury than an ACL tear.

booger
01-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Plus HGH testing has a big effect on recovery time as has been mentioned here plenty

Mr. Laz
with our medical staff, Dadi should easily be ready for the 2025 season

New World Order
WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!

GloryDayz
01-02-2017, 05:15 PM
What do players do with a week off like this? Hawaii, Cancun, Italy, the Swiss Alps? Are there limitations?

Simply Red
01-02-2017, 05:19 PM
with our medical staff, Dadi should easily be ready for the 2025 season

Dr. Andrews was spotted crappie fishing at Lake Jacomo last week with Patrick Surtain's real estate agent. So I'm pretty sure he'll be fine.

Coochie liquor
01-02-2017, 05:55 PM
All we gotta do is finish out this 5 game winning streak and we're good!!

beach tribe
01-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Dr. Andrews was spotted crappie fishing at Lake Jacomo last week with Patrick Surtain's real estate agent. So I'm pretty sure he'll be fine.

I just found out that Surtain is the HC of the HS team about 200 yds from my house.

jspchief
01-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Plus HGH testing has a big effect on recovery time as has been mentioned here plenty
He should just use HGH and risk the suspension. It's likely better for his overall career prospects.

jspchief
01-02-2017, 06:05 PM
What do players do with a week off like this? Hawaii, Cancun, Italy, the Swiss Alps? Are there limitations?
They come in and workout and watch film anyway. They may not be required to show up, but a lot of them will anyway.

farmerchief
01-02-2017, 06:06 PM

Odds are in our favor, now just need to do the work!:clap:

GloryDayz
01-02-2017, 06:12 PM
They come in and workout and watch film anyway. They may not be required to show up, but a lot of them will anyway.

Ah. I'd workout while in Italy and use the Innerwebz to watch film.

Chief Roundup
01-02-2017, 06:28 PM
The second tweet is the one that makes you hold your breathe. When players leave the facility for a week sometimes bad things happen at horrible times and this is one of those times.

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 06:31 PM
The second tweet is the one that makes you hold your breathe. When players leave the facility for a week sometimes bad things happen at horrible times and this is one of those times.

Dwayne Bowe and Sean Smith are no longer on the roster

BWillie
01-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Jamaal?

O.city
01-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I'd imagine some stick around but alot of them will travel or get away for a bit.

-King-
01-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Andy does this even with regular season byes. Has anything happened during a bye week since he's been here?

And a lot of players go to the facilities on their off days anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Roundup
01-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Jamaal?
If you have to ask this question it shows how little you have been paying attention.
Justin March is the player that got to ce back off of IR.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

stevieray
01-02-2017, 06:43 PM
These guys are focused.

We'll be fine.

BWillie
01-02-2017, 06:45 PM
If you have to ask this question it shows how little you have been paying attention.
Justin March is the player that got to ce back off of IR.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Just 2 weeks ago there was an article that indicated he might be available in the playoffs. Thats why I asked. Sorry I don't pay attention as much as required to read CP

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-02-2017, 06:53 PM
What was Dadi's official injury ?

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 07:00 PM
What was Dadi's official injury ?

Torn patella tendon.

He's out for a good, long while, if not forever.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Torn patella tendon.

Ah, I think I've got one of those right now. Been trying to call in sick but can't find anyone to fill in.

NJChiefsFan
01-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Ah, I think I've got one of those right now. Been trying to call in sick but can't find anyone to fill in.

Foghorn Leghorn isn't available?

Rasputin
01-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Too bad we can't get DJ back he deserves this opportunity and we could use him.

Chiefshrink
01-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Okay we have Houston and Maclin back but they are still gimpy to some degree, not like last year but let's hope in 2 weeks they are at least 90%. However, we don't have DJ so there is that, get 2 back and lose 1 but we have Tyreek so we are one up if not 2 because of Hill's ability on ST as well.:thumb:

Titty Meat
01-02-2017, 08:12 PM
I saw some of the Giants are in Miami partying with Bieber lol

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Bieber doesn't party that hard these days, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Dinny Bossa Nova
01-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Should probably wait and see what Sorter says.

TimBone

Well, that's torn it.

Congratulations for being the first person EVAR to be put on ignore by me in my entire existence on this here planet.

I'm the 7th 1.

Ciao, TBone.

Dinny

Chiefshrink
01-02-2017, 08:21 PM
if not forever.

Yep. This is last year's info but good stuff on the patella tear and rehab.

Monday Morning MD: Patella tendon rupture often worse than ACL
Posted November 30, 2015 ·

Jimmy Graham

Two of the NFL’s top tight ends were injured Sunday and one is lost for the year. It’s bad enough that Jimmy Graham’s inaugural Seahawks campaign is done; however the injury may affect his 2016 season as well. Although both are season ending and require surgery, patella tendon tear is often worse than even an ACL tear.

Graham collapsed on his right leg in the end zone, but by video, the injury happened on the previous step. With the application of an aircast, many wrongly assumed leg fracture. My worst fear of knee extensor tendon rupture were confirmed postgame by head coach Pete Carroll.

The surgery is the easy part. The rehab is the hard part. Patella tendon repair is not an arthroscopic procedure, rather it is a simple open repair where the tendon is sewn together and often augmented with suture through drill holes in the bone. The kneecap tendon is well over an inch wide and is larger, broader and stronger than the ACL. The open incision and early immobilization required leads to more scar tissue, loss of motion and atrophy. In ACL surgery, an arthroscopic is used and patients are encouraged to move and bear full weight immediately after surgery thus speeding recovery.

The grueling rehab takes a minimum of 6-9 months; however, the struggle to regain explosiveness and full power goes well beyond that.

Giants WR Victor Cruz never made it back from last season’s patella tendon tear, but his recovery was complicated by a calf strain. Patriots LB Jerod Mayo did make it back this year; however, his per game productivity is only a quarter of that pre-injury. Through Week 12, Mayo has 22 combined tackles compared to 53 in only six games last season before his tendon rupture.

The Seahawks tight end hopes to fair better than these two comparisons. Cruz relies on explosiveness, while Graham can use his big body. Offensive players have an advantage as they can dictate and plan their moves, where it is harder for defenders like Mayo who have to react instantaneously.

By all accounts, Graham is a great kid and a hard worker. We all wish him well and hope he can come back strong as the new standard for patellar tendon recovery like Adrian Peterson set the new standard for ACL return.

MMMD 1: Gronk goes down

Embedded image permalink

The Patriots would gladly take Sunday night’s loss if they can get their star tight end back. The video of a ferocious hit to the legs and Rob Gronkowski writhing in pain scared everyone. On further film review, the right foot being off the ground likely saves Gronk from serious injury. My hope/expectation in real time was for contusion/bone bruise or possible mild knee sprain (LCL/PCL) without structural damage. MRI will be obtained this AM.

Early source reports, video of Gronk walking and dressing normally seem to indicate optimism. Hope this star tight end meets a better fate than Graham’s season ender.

MMMD 2: Big Ben self-reported concussion

In the aftermath of the Case Keenum controversy, it was refreshing to see Ben Roethlisberger report his head injury symptoms and to have the Steelers act immediately to remove him despite it being a close game late in the fourth quarter. Cynics would say Big Ben only came out after being down by two scores, but Roethlisberger was already being looked at before the Seahawks final touchdown.

The spotter’s job is proving to be a hard one as the medical timeout rule was once again not used here. We cannot be sure when the potential concussion happened, but by video, it was likely on the roughing the passer penalty where Roethlisberger took a hit to the head and stayed down briefly. He played nine more plays in that drive.

No one will be penalized in the Keenum case, but here is the second week in a row a starting QB was not immediately removed for evaluation. The “eye in the sky” and the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant (UNC) were put in place specifically for this job. My guess is the league will instruct spotters to be more aggressive in calling medical timeouts going forward.

MMMD 3: Cowboys didn’t do Romo wrong

When something goes wrong, human nature is to look for responsibility. I don’t believe the Dallas medical staff deserves any blame in Tony Romo’s clavicle re-fracture.

Fractures don’t heal like a light switch, more like a gradual sunrise. In order to be as strong as the other side, it would take six months, yet the NFL average return is 6-8 weeks. Romo was re-injured 10 weeks out and I am sure he was informed of increased risk. Unfortunately, as he was sacked, he instinctively rolled onto his vulnerable left side to protect his throwing shoulder.

Romo’s hairline fracture will heal well without surgery. He now will have the full six months to heal as strong as possible. I see no medical issue with his clavicle moving forward for 2016.

MMMD 4: Beastmode has surgery after all

Marshawn Lynch “popped a muscle off his pelvic bone” and had surgery to repair it. Whether it is called sports hernia, athletic pubalgia or core muscle, the anatomy and recovery are the same. Sports hernia is certainly a misnomer since there is no true hernia.

Although injury severity varies, average recovery in the NFL is approximately six weeks. After surgery in Philadelphia this season, Zach Ertz returned at four weeks and Arian Foster took eight weeks. The hope is Lynch can return and be effective for playoffs.

MMMD 5: Quarterback updates

Aaron Rodgers hurt his “funny bone” and it initially looked worse than it was. The injury is neither funny (quite painful) nor is it a bone (ulnar nerve). He holds the outside of his wrist/hand as that is where the pain radiates. The good news is that typically symptoms resolve quickly and Rodgers won’t miss time.

Peyton Manning is in a walking cast for his plantar fasciitis. Even if the cast comes off today, he is unlikely to be ready for Week 13 or 14. These injuries linger.

Russell Wilson needed three liters of intravenous fluids during the game. He woke up with flu-like symptoms but still led the Seahawks to a win.

Andrew Luck has now missed two games with his kidney laceration. This injury is a safety issue and typically the minimum is four weeks, if not more.

Sam Bradford has missed two games with his concussion and shoulder injury. He has been cleared from concussion and his presumed left AC joint sprain is mild. Look for him to be good to go this week.

MMMD 6: Medical potpourri

Carlos Hyde missed his fifth week with a foot stress fracture. Assuming he has a Jones fracture, the procedure carries a 6-8 week recovery. In retrospect, it seems surgery might have been the better move.

Danny Amendola missed this week with what I presume to be a mild PCL sprain, which is a 1-4 week injury. Question is how effective he can be in stopping and changing directions when he first returns.

Geoff Schwartz fractured his ankle and is undoubtedly headed to IR.

Chris Culliver had an unfortunate Thanksgiving Day practice injury. He tore his ACL and will need surgery.

Allen Hurns was taken to the hospital but has been already discharged. He has a concussion but his neck is reportedly fine.

Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both exited the Cardinals game. The hope is Johnson’s knee and Ellington’s foot injuries are relatively minor.

Dont’a Hightower missed the second half with a knee injury. Video was inconclusive on a mechanism, which hopefully is a good sign that it is minor. A report surfaced of a MCL sprain which I hope is minimal.

Justin Houston did not return from a hyperextension knee injury. The hope is for a mild knee sprain and/or minimal bone bruise and an early return.

Karlos Williams left the game with an unknown shoulder injury that I did not see by video.

MMMD 7: ProFootballDoc scorecard

This was an up and down week with some good video calls and some key misses that will lower the prediction percentage below 95% (98-5 thru last week).

I correctly indicated Keenan Lewis season was over but it seems to be his MCL not ACL. By video, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie knee seemed to give way but he was announced as an ankle injury and returned.

Jimmy Graham was a good call on patella tendon tear. Aaron Rodgers immediate funny bone diagnosis came despite beat reporters tweeting wrist injury. Allen Hurns hospitalization was precautionary. Peyton Manning indeed has missed more than the initial week. Marshawn Lynch had sports hernia surgery as predicted. Danny Amendola knee sprain does seem to be a PCL injury. The Tony Romo call of re-fracture was an easy one. Carlos Hyde’s extended absence was anticipated. Tyrod Taylor played through his mild shoulder separation. Bryan Bulaga ankle injury was minor.

Rob Gronkowski and Justin Houston calls will have to be evaluated next week as more information is known.

This brings the 2015 total to 108-7 or 93.9%.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Too bad we can't get DJ back he deserves this opportunity and we could use him.

Was thinking the same thing today. Might have been his only shot.

Chiefshrink
01-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Was thinking the same thing today. Might have been his only shot.

I don't think so because we are dynasty now.:D

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Okay we have Houston and Maclin back but they are still gimpy to some degree, not like last year but let's hope in 2 weeks they are at least 90%. However, we don't have DJ so there is that, get 2 back and lose 1 but we have Tyreek so we are one up if not 2 because of Hill's ability on ST as well.:thumb:

Hill has given this offense as well as the whole team a huge boost. i think our whole mindset is way more agressive these past few weeks and have even noticed Smith throwing passes that he's just letting the receiver go for instead of the sure thing. It's what this team really needed.

jjchieffan
01-02-2017, 08:34 PM

The article I read said they were partying with Bieber and Manziel. If Johnny football is involved, something stupid is bound to happen.

DaneMcCloud
01-02-2017, 08:36 PM
The article I read said they were partying with Bieber and Manziel. If Johnny football is involved, something stupid is bound to happen.

Bieber lived in the house behind mine in 2015 for months with no issues.

Manziel was there quite a bit, too.

No issues.

TimBone
01-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Well, that's torn it.

Congratulations for being the first person EVAR to be put on ignore by me in my entire existence on this here planet.

I'm the 7th 1.

Ciao, TBone.

Dinny

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0lnGJubN9Nc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
01-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Hill has given this offense as well as the whole team a huge boost. i think our whole mindset is way more agressive these past few weeks and have even noticed Smith throwing passes that he's just letting the receiver go for instead of the sure thing. It's what this team really needed.

Totally agree that aggressive is better because D's now won't stack the box as fiippantly and with Smith running only creates more problems for the opposing defenses and can only help.

Chief Northman
01-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Totally agree that aggressive is better because D's now won't stack the box as fiippantly and with Smith running only creates more problems for the opposing defenses and can only help.

One can also notice how many outside zone runs they have been including in the scripted plays the past month. Some of these runs are frustrating because they are run to the weak side with Ware, West, or Hill and some go for little to no gain.
Trust me, this is the set up by Reid for determining whether they turn Smith loose later in games and/or how defenses react and let alone defend these plays. I think ultimate offensive success in this playoff run hinges as much on Smith the runner as it does Smith remaining an efficient passer who can make plays when needed.

Sandy Vagina
01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
One can also notice how many outside zone runs they have been including in the scripted plays the past month. Some of these runs are frustrating because they are run to the weak side with Ware, West, or Hill and some go for little to no gain.
Trust me, this is the set up by Reid for determining whether they turn Smith loose later in games and/or how defenses react and let alone defend these plays. I think ultimate offensive success in this playoff run hinges as much on Smith the runner as it does Smith remaining an efficient passer who can make plays when needed.

phhhhhftttt.... you make it sound like Alex Smith is important to this team in any way. :rolleyes:

:p

RunKC
01-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Torn patella tendon.

This really sucks bc he was showing flashes in his pass rush. We need to make it a priority to draft an OLB fairly early this spring

carcosa
01-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Yea, they should be ready for everything after taking the week off.

REST IS PREPARATION!!!

saphojunkie
01-03-2017, 03:24 AM

Was just in Swiss Alps yesterday and today is Italy.

Can I go play next week?

TimeForWasp
01-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Yep. This is last year's info but good stuff on the patella tear and rehab.

Monday Morning MD: Patella tendon rupture often worse than ACL
Posted November 30, 2015 ·

Jimmy Graham

Two of the NFL’s top tight ends were injured Sunday and one is lost for the year. It’s bad enough that Jimmy Graham’s inaugural Seahawks campaign is done; however the injury may affect his 2016 season as well. Although both are season ending and require surgery, patella tendon tear is often worse than even an ACL tear.

Graham collapsed on his right leg in the end zone, but by video, the injury happened on the previous step. With the application of an aircast, many wrongly assumed leg fracture. My worst fear of knee extensor tendon rupture were confirmed postgame by head coach Pete Carroll.

The surgery is the easy part. The rehab is the hard part. Patella tendon repair is not an arthroscopic procedure, rather it is a simple open repair where the tendon is sewn together and often augmented with suture through drill holes in the bone. The kneecap tendon is well over an inch wide and is larger, broader and stronger than the ACL. The open incision and early immobilization required leads to more scar tissue, loss of motion and atrophy. In ACL surgery, an arthroscopic is used and patients are encouraged to move and bear full weight immediately after surgery thus speeding recovery.

The grueling rehab takes a minimum of 6-9 months; however, the struggle to regain explosiveness and full power goes well beyond that.

Giants WR Victor Cruz never made it back from last season’s patella tendon tear, but his recovery was complicated by a calf strain. Patriots LB Jerod Mayo did make it back this year; however, his per game productivity is only a quarter of that pre-injury. Through Week 12, Mayo has 22 combined tackles compared to 53 in only six games last season before his tendon rupture.

The Seahawks tight end hopes to fair better than these two comparisons. Cruz relies on explosiveness, while Graham can use his big body. Offensive players have an advantage as they can dictate and plan their moves, where it is harder for defenders like Mayo who have to react instantaneously.

By all accounts, Graham is a great kid and a hard worker. We all wish him well and hope he can come back strong as the new standard for patellar tendon recovery like Adrian Peterson set the new standard for ACL return.

MMMD 1: Gronk goes down

Embedded image permalink

The Patriots would gladly take Sunday night’s loss if they can get their star tight end back. The video of a ferocious hit to the legs and Rob Gronkowski writhing in pain scared everyone. On further film review, the right foot being off the ground likely saves Gronk from serious injury. My hope/expectation in real time was for contusion/bone bruise or possible mild knee sprain (LCL/PCL) without structural damage. MRI will be obtained this AM.

Early source reports, video of Gronk walking and dressing normally seem to indicate optimism. Hope this star tight end meets a better fate than Graham’s season ender.

MMMD 2: Big Ben self-reported concussion

In the aftermath of the Case Keenum controversy, it was refreshing to see Ben Roethlisberger report his head injury symptoms and to have the Steelers act immediately to remove him despite it being a close game late in the fourth quarter. Cynics would say Big Ben only came out after being down by two scores, but Roethlisberger was already being looked at before the Seahawks final touchdown.

The spotter’s job is proving to be a hard one as the medical timeout rule was once again not used here. We cannot be sure when the potential concussion happened, but by video, it was likely on the roughing the passer penalty where Roethlisberger took a hit to the head and stayed down briefly. He played nine more plays in that drive.

No one will be penalized in the Keenum case, but here is the second week in a row a starting QB was not immediately removed for evaluation. The “eye in the sky” and the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant (UNC) were put in place specifically for this job. My guess is the league will instruct spotters to be more aggressive in calling medical timeouts going forward.

MMMD 3: Cowboys didn’t do Romo wrong

When something goes wrong, human nature is to look for responsibility. I don’t believe the Dallas medical staff deserves any blame in Tony Romo’s clavicle re-fracture.

Fractures don’t heal like a light switch, more like a gradual sunrise. In order to be as strong as the other side, it would take six months, yet the NFL average return is 6-8 weeks. Romo was re-injured 10 weeks out and I am sure he was informed of increased risk. Unfortunately, as he was sacked, he instinctively rolled onto his vulnerable left side to protect his throwing shoulder.

Romo’s hairline fracture will heal well without surgery. He now will have the full six months to heal as strong as possible. I see no medical issue with his clavicle moving forward for 2016.

MMMD 4: Beastmode has surgery after all

Marshawn Lynch “popped a muscle off his pelvic bone” and had surgery to repair it. Whether it is called sports hernia, athletic pubalgia or core muscle, the anatomy and recovery are the same. Sports hernia is certainly a misnomer since there is no true hernia.

Although injury severity varies, average recovery in the NFL is approximately six weeks. After surgery in Philadelphia this season, Zach Ertz returned at four weeks and Arian Foster took eight weeks. The hope is Lynch can return and be effective for playoffs.

MMMD 5: Quarterback updates

Aaron Rodgers hurt his “funny bone” and it initially looked worse than it was. The injury is neither funny (quite painful) nor is it a bone (ulnar nerve). He holds the outside of his wrist/hand as that is where the pain radiates. The good news is that typically symptoms resolve quickly and Rodgers won’t miss time.

Peyton Manning is in a walking cast for his plantar fasciitis. Even if the cast comes off today, he is unlikely to be ready for Week 13 or 14. These injuries linger.

Russell Wilson needed three liters of intravenous fluids during the game. He woke up with flu-like symptoms but still led the Seahawks to a win.

Andrew Luck has now missed two games with his kidney laceration. This injury is a safety issue and typically the minimum is four weeks, if not more.

Sam Bradford has missed two games with his concussion and shoulder injury. He has been cleared from concussion and his presumed left AC joint sprain is mild. Look for him to be good to go this week.

MMMD 6: Medical potpourri

Carlos Hyde missed his fifth week with a foot stress fracture. Assuming he has a Jones fracture, the procedure carries a 6-8 week recovery. In retrospect, it seems surgery might have been the better move.

Danny Amendola missed this week with what I presume to be a mild PCL sprain, which is a 1-4 week injury. Question is how effective he can be in stopping and changing directions when he first returns.

Geoff Schwartz fractured his ankle and is undoubtedly headed to IR.

Chris Culliver had an unfortunate Thanksgiving Day practice injury. He tore his ACL and will need surgery.

Allen Hurns was taken to the hospital but has been already discharged. He has a concussion but his neck is reportedly fine.

Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both exited the Cardinals game. The hope is Johnson’s knee and Ellington’s foot injuries are relatively minor.

Dont’a Hightower missed the second half with a knee injury. Video was inconclusive on a mechanism, which hopefully is a good sign that it is minor. A report surfaced of a MCL sprain which I hope is minimal.

Justin Houston did not return from a hyperextension knee injury. The hope is for a mild knee sprain and/or minimal bone bruise and an early return.

Karlos Williams left the game with an unknown shoulder injury that I did not see by video.

MMMD 7: ProFootballDoc scorecard

This was an up and down week with some good video calls and some key misses that will lower the prediction percentage below 95% (98-5 thru last week).

I correctly indicated Keenan Lewis season was over but it seems to be his MCL not ACL. By video, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie knee seemed to give way but he was announced as an ankle injury and returned.

Jimmy Graham was a good call on patella tendon tear. Aaron Rodgers immediate funny bone diagnosis came despite beat reporters tweeting wrist injury. Allen Hurns hospitalization was precautionary. Peyton Manning indeed has missed more than the initial week. Marshawn Lynch had sports hernia surgery as predicted. Danny Amendola knee sprain does seem to be a PCL injury. The Tony Romo call of re-fracture was an easy one. Carlos Hyde’s extended absence was anticipated. Tyrod Taylor played through his mild shoulder separation. Bryan Bulaga ankle injury was minor.

Rob Gronkowski and Justin Houston calls will have to be evaluated next week as more information is known.

This brings the 2015 total to 108-7 or 93.9%.

This is long.

Reerun_KC
01-03-2017, 05:39 AM

Can I go play next week?

Colorado yesterday. Bahamas today.

GloryDayz
01-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Can I go play next week?
Yes... And I'd rather be there...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)

scho63
01-03-2017, 07:24 AM
The difference at this time of year to have a week off to heal with a home playoff game versus going right out on the road the next week is so incredibly important.

I also don't see Andy trying to start Elvis Grbac instead of Alex when we play.

GloryDayz
01-03-2017, 08:54 AM
The difference at this time of year to have a week off to heal with a home playoff game versus going right out on the road the next week is so incredibly important.

I also don't see Andy trying to start Elvis Grbac instead of Alex when we play.
As long as Andy keeps listening to me we have a shot. No matter what, going up against HoF QBs will be a tall order, but he knows conservative on offense and "bend but don't break" on defense won't work.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)

KChiefs1
01-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Jamaal?

Do you even watch the Chiefs?

KChiefs1
01-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Torn patella tendon.

He's done.

Beef Supreme
01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
He should just use HGH and risk the suspension. It's likely better for his overall career prospects.

He should just have them send it to his wife.

FloridaMan88
01-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Looking forward to a very clean/empty injury report next week.

Titty Meat
01-04-2017, 04:26 PM

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/01/04/there-were-lots-of-drugs-being-passed-around-at-that-giants-wide-receivers-yacht-party-video/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=blackadamschefter&utm_campaign=fb

Well atleast it wasn't a hard drug but enough to get someone suspended.