PDA

View Full Version : Football Which head coaching vacancy would you want to fill?

luv
01-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Looks like there are six vacancies to fill. Which one would you want to fill? What's your reasoning?

Chiefnj2
01-03-2017, 10:44 AM
San Diego. Only drawback is where in California you will be playing.
Denver would be #2 due to Elway.
Jax #3.

wazu
01-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Jax #3.

I'd say crappy ownership is a bigger issue than where they will play. Probably the best QB situation, though.

ThaVirus
01-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Denver has the best situation.

Pros:
-relatively loaded roster
-two potential QBotf already on roster
-strong defense
-best home field advantage in the NFL (thin air)
-great city
-plenty of cap space

Cons:
-high expectations
-going to have to hit on several draft picks/FA signings to truly reload

All in all, probably wouldn't be a bad gig.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2017, 10:51 AM
The donkey job is the top open position; best franchise, best ownership, best leadership of the available openings.

WhawhaWhat
01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Denver easily. Better ownership, better GM. They lost their coach due to retirement and the team is pretty decent already. The others have vacancies because the team sucks and for the most part are in perpetual rebuilds.

The Franchise
01-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Jags.

Young talent.
Decent state to live in.

RunKC
01-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Denver has the best situation.

Pros:
-relatively loaded roster
-two potential QBotf already on roster
-strong defense
-best home field advantage in the NFL (thin air)
-great city
-plenty of cap space

Cons:
-high expectations
-going to have to hit on several draft picks/FA signings to truly reload

All in all, probably wouldn't be a bad gig.

I'm not so sure about that. Elway meddled with Kubiak about Paxton Lynch. It sounds like Kubiak wasn't even that high on him and wanted Semen to be the guy but Elway wanted it his way. Plus if you didn't make the playoffs the first year Elway would be threatening your job security.

Also add that the Chiefs and Raiders are better teams right now and it would suck playing against them 4X every year.

I'm going Jags. Bad division, lots of talent, beach by your house and an owner who doesn't meddle.

Rain Man
01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
All of those are carcinogenic in some way. There's a reason that they're vacant.

Buffalo Bills - It's a legitimate franchise, if not a desirable one. Their challenge is that free agents will always mark Buffalo down a notch compared to other teams, so you'll always have a bit less talent to work with.

Jacksonville Jaguars - At some point it's likely that the team will move, and the fan base is lackluster. Maybe you can do here what Green Bay did in the late 50s, but probably not. Still, you've got a shot.

San Diego Chargers - This one is kind of intriguing because there won't be a media spotlight on you. No one in Los Angeles cares about football, and you'll be the B team compared to the Rams. It's like being the Jets in New York. The main downside here will be the commute to work.

Los Angeles Rams - See above. The Rams will get a little more attention than the Chargers, but in the end there's not a fan base that cares. The Rams have worse ownership, too.

Denver Broncos - Okay, first off, I don't want to affiliate with cheaters and we know they cheat constantly. But setting that aside, this is a complete no-win for a coach. Broncos fans have been brainwashed to think that John Elway is infallible, and he's actually quite mediocre. So when that mediocrity stays around, who's going to get blamed? Ask John Fox if he knows the answer to that one. This one is a no-win. If you're successful, Elway will take the credit and no one will believe you, and if you're unsuccessful you'll get both your blame and Elway's (considerable) share. No, thanks. But it's a nice city.

San Francisco 49ers - Based on what we're reading, you shouldn't even go near this place.

Hoover
01-03-2017, 11:10 AM
San Diago has a bad stadium deal, not bad ownership.

I'd take that gig in a heartbeat.

I've got legit stars at DE and RB.

Veteran QB.

With the right HC and staff, someone could easily turn that team around.

Coochie liquor
01-03-2017, 11:28 AM
From a players on the roster perspective, I'd have to go with Buffalo.
From an ownership staying out of your business standpoint I'd go with Jax.
From a better state to live in perspective still gotta go with Jax.
Wouldn't wanna deal with Elway and his overinflated ego.

carcosa
01-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Veteran QB.

I don't know if good ownership would force their all-world rookie pass rusher to hold out over some minor contract language.

carcosa
01-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm going Jags. Bad division, lots of talent, beach by your house and an owner who doesn't meddle.

Khan seems nice!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/floridatrend/_legacy/images/photos/12-06/khan_khan%5Bketterman%5D.jpg

stumppy
01-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I would take the Denver job then do my best to drive the franchise into ruins.

Fuck Denver.

chinaski
01-03-2017, 11:34 AM
From a players on the roster perspective, I'd have to go with Buffalo.
From an ownership staying out of your business standpoint I'd go with Jax.
From a better state to live in perspective still gotta go with Jax.
Wouldn't wanna deal with Elway and his overinflated ego.

Yup.

A lot of pressure with LA, plus you are more or less locked in with Goff and the fan support is a question mark (fair weather fans etc).

49ers are a mess, 'nuff said.

The Chargers stadium thing would scare me off, if they are moving etc.

Coochie liquor
01-03-2017, 11:35 AM
I would take the Denver job then do my best to drive the franchise into ruins.

Fuck Denver.

So, when do you interview??

TripleThreat
01-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Veteran QB.

Yeah id go San Diego too. They seem to stay faithful to their coaches for quite a while, except in that 14-2 year

scho63
01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm not so sure about that. Elway meddled with Kubiak about Paxton Lynch. It sounds like Kubiak wasn't even that high on him and wanted Semen to be the guy but Elway wanted it his way. Plus if you didn't make the playoffs the first year Elway would be threatening your job security.

Also add that the Chiefs and Raiders are better teams right now and it would suck playing against them 4X every year.

Plus you get to go to London every other year, just hope they don't move there chap.

Chip, Chip Cherrio

O.city
01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Denver.

Good roster, especially if you like Lynch. Elway should be able to improve their defeciencies in 1 offseason. Good ownership, gold fans etc.

Jacksonville you'd have to have Caldwell as a gm and Bortles is ass. Fuck that.

Honestly, the 9er job would be up there for me. Yeah, it's bad there now, but you're getting a new gm with you, fresh start at the roster, the owners spend on whatever you want etc.

MahiMike
01-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Khan seems nice!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/floridatrend/_legacy/images/photos/12-06/khan_khan%5Bketterman%5D.jpg

Khan is the difference maker. He will ensure a winning culture. ..eventually.

Sandy Vagina
01-03-2017, 11:44 AM
"I'd like to fill her vacancy."

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3902881/high-five-todd-o.gif

ThaVirus
01-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Good arguments, plus no state tax in Florida.

I just wouldn't want any part of attempting to change such a losing culture. The Jaguars have been bad for a long time. The players don't even expect to win and I feel like you'd still be handcuffed to Bortles for at least one more season.

Easy 6
01-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I'll take Jacksonville

Nice weather

Khan spends money

Relatively weak division

The GM seems to build the right way

Bortles is young enough to be salvaged

Talent worth building around on both sides of the ball

Direckshun
01-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Nobody should vote for the Bills or 49ers.

Those places are toxic.

Kiimo
01-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Jax #3.

Do you have any idea just how poorly both the Chargers and Jags are run as a complete organization?

The Sacramento Kings think the Chargers are a mess.

This is simple, there is no other choice than Denver and if they weren't in our division we'd probably respect that organization a heck of a lot more.

Veteran QB.

Oh my f-ing god stop posting about the Chargers forever.

Easy 6
01-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Do you have any idea just how poorly both the Jags are run as a complete organization?

Their problems boil down to weak coaching IMO

They're not threatening to move, and there is talent on both sides

Kiimo
01-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Have you all ever been to Jacksonville? It's uh...pretty terrible all around. That team is run poorly and totally accepting of mediocrity. I'm just saying there is talent in Denver too. If anybody chose to go to Jacksonville over Denver I'm calling that person a biased Chiefs fan. I mean, that's fine but at least you should be conscious of that.

Spott
01-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Have you all ever been to Jacksonville? It's uh...pretty terrible all around. That team is run poorly and totally accepting of mediocrity. I'm just saying there is talent in Denver too. If anybody chose to go to Jacksonville over Denver I'm calling that person a biased Chiefs fan. I mean, that's fine but at least you should be conscious of that.

I live here, so I feel comfortable saying that Jacksonville is like Independence with a beach.

Easy 6
01-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Its not really an anti-Denver bias for me, its for the reasons I listed above

The AFCS is weak, good coaching and more solid pieces could win it quickly... or at least compete quickly

Personally, I'd rather be handcuffed to Bortles than Lynch, he was on the rise last year... his regression was on Bradley IMO

I like the way Caldwell builds through the draft

And getting rid of the "mediocre" mentality is the head coaches job, I would look forward to that challenge... as a fan, I love to see perennial losers rise from the ashes and it would be the same for me as HC

MahiMike
01-03-2017, 02:05 PM

One of the best stadiums in the NFL with improvements every year

Exciting, determined new owner on part with jurrah

No state sales tax

Largest video screens in the world

Top 5 defense

Top 10 set of receivers

Offshore fishing

Golf year round

Chicks in bikinis everywhere

Chicks in bikinis in the freaking stadium pool

Never too cold

Yeah it's a shit hole.

carcosa
01-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Chicks in bikinis everywhere

Chicks in bikinis in the freaking stadium pool

HELL yeah, now I'm HORNY!!!!!

Kiimo
01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
But they're Jacksonville chicks.

displacedinMN
01-03-2017, 03:28 PM
I put this in the hire/fire thread. But well worth the read.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18399254/the-strengths-weaknesses-open-nfl-head-coaching-job-2016

luv
01-03-2017, 04:39 PM

I think it just depends on how lazy you are as a coach. You have the opportunity to go in and turn things around, or you can go in and just simply take over the reigns of someone else who has done the work. Just imagine if you could be the person who was ultimately responsible for turning a team around. It takes harder work, but I think it'd be worth it.

displacedinMN
01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Either Denver or LA.
Denver-loyal fan base. Not sure about the GM. Get the calls from the refs.
LA-the chance to build a fan base. The chance to mold a team. New stadium.

Possibly unlimited money for both.

TripleThreat
01-03-2017, 05:18 PM
I just read someone make this point in another thread, and felt I agreed with him and it belonged here.

As the guy said, and as I agree, the SF job is easily the best job for anyone to want. You get hired. You can half ass the entire season to finish poorly, they will fire you, and you walk away with $25million for only coaching for a year.... I mean, Now if you want to continue being a head coach in the NFL then it might be a little different, but for instance success, there is no other option.

RealSNR
01-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Every time I've gone to London I had a great time, so I'd go with Jacksonville

DJ's left nut
01-03-2017, 05:22 PM
49ers.

I could be fucking AWFUL and nobody would ever know it.

And as generally informed as I may be for a football fan, I'm a goddamn moron compared to as much as a High School football coach. I'd be an AWFUL NFL coach.

But in SF, I could just print off a bunch of madden plays, run them through a dryer cycle or two so they look worn, re-xerox them so that they look like some sort of super secret mystical playsheets and then slap them in a 3-ring binder. York wouldn't know the difference and it's not as though Kaepernick bothers to read the playbook anyway.

So really, how much worse could shit actually be? Just as long as I didn't set the stadium on fire, I'd get at least 2 seasons. Then I could probably use that as a springboard to a coordinators role with the Rams.

I'd be the modern day Lane Kiffin. Sooner or later I'd land someplace on pure pedigree that can actually win in spite of me. I may have perhaps learned/stolen a thing or two in the 10 years or so that takes and then I can get a head coaching gig at a shitty regional college that has nice weather.

Sounds like a lot more fun than sitting in an office in Columbia.

St. Patty's Fire
01-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Jacksonville. Before the last 8 or so years of awfulness, that was a respectable franchise. And, currently, they're in a good position. They have some real talent on that roster and will be adding another high pick at the draft. That team looked WAY better in the last two games under Marrone than under Bradley, and even under Bradley, they were in EVERY game. Eight of their losses were by 10 points or less. Six of them were one score games. With proper coaching and good drafting, they could be a solid team as early as next year. So I'd hedge my bets on them if I were a coach.

Although, objectively, Denver is in the most ideal situation. But I wouldn't really want to be under Elway's thumb.