PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will the Weather Cause our Fate?

kgrund
01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
With the awful weather forecast for Sunday, I can not help but think the weather will decisively put Pittsburgh in the drivers seat given their ability to run the ball and our inability to stop the run.

I also think we are an offense that cannot run the ball unless we have other things going in our offense since we have proven that we do not have an offensive line that can just line up on the ball and blow people off the ball.

I (1) hope the weather forecast is way off and (2) hope I am wrong about the result if the weather forecast holds up, but I can not help but think this weather is the worse thing we could of hoped for.

carcosa
01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
yeah,

ModSocks
01-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Two of our best offensive performances have come in piss-ass weather.

We'll be fine.

carcosa
01-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Two of our best offensive performances have come in piss-ass weather.

We'll be fine.

we'll be fine

Chiefspants
01-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Meh. We will determine our own fate. No one blames the arctic weather for the Lin Eliott that must not be named.

ModSocks
Alex Smith is undefeated in home games against Ruthlessraper.

#FranchiseQB

keg in kc
Pittsburgh is a better team in pretty much every conceivable way. Bad weather can only help us.

Smed1065
01-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Both teams deal with it. Players will decide our fate.

ModSocks
01-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Pittsburgh is a better team in pretty much every conceivable way. Bad weather can only help us.

Lol, how do you figure?

Listen boys, the Chiefs earned the #2 seed by beating damn good teams. Chiefs had one of the hardest SOS's in the league and still cranked out a #2 seed.

"better team in pretty much every conceivable way"

Nigga pls...

Smed1065
01-11-2017, 02:23 PM

ROFL

Really. Like defense and special teams? They did score 10 more points than us this season I guess.

Halfcan
01-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Really?

Better coaching- No
Better Special teams-No
Better fans-fuck No
Better Stadium-No
Better Defense- No

kgrund
01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
I totally get that players decide games and both sides have to play in it blah, blah, blah. I am just saying that poor weather conditions (mainly freezing rain/rain) will make it harder to throw the ball around (which we will need to do to set up the run) and plays into the Steelers' strength, which happens to be our weakness.

Just would like are chances better with 35 degrees and dry IMO.

carcosa
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Pittsburgh has bigger stars, but to call them a better team in every way is... well, wrong.

ModSocks
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
I totally get that players decide games and both sides have to play in it blah, blah, blah. I am just saying that poor weather conditions (mainly freezing rain/rain) will make it harder to throw the ball around (which we will need to do to set up the run) and plays into the Steelers' strength, which happens to be our weakness.

Really?

CHIEFS are the team that relies on throwing the ball around?

You don't think the Steeler's running game benefits from their passing game?

kgrund
01-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Really?

CHIEFS are the team that relies on throwing the ball around?

You don't think the Steeler's running game benefits from their passing game?

It most certainly does. I just think the Steelers are more capable of running the ball even when they have to be one dimensional than we are.

CaliforniaChief
01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
I understand past playoff debacles but wow, we are a bunch of wussies.

Forget about Le'Veon Bell and their rushing game. Why don't WE run Spencer Ware down their throats at will?

We're fine. We GOT this.

ChiefRocka
01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Weather puts the emphasis on technique and execution. I choose us.

carcosa
01-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Forget about Le'Veon Bell and their rushing game. Why don't WE run Spencer Ware down their throats at will?

Because our run blocking is not very good and we haven't been able to run at will all season?

I do think that even in poor weather, Kelce and Hill will be productive enough for the run game to open up. But this just isn't a "run at will" kinda team this season.

Snica
01-11-2017, 02:33 PM
No

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
their site was saying WE'd be the beneficiary of inclimate weather - jesus - VahJJPlanet

keg in kc
01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Lol, how do you figure?

Listen boys, the Chiefs earned the #2 seed by beating damn good teams. Chiefs had one of the hardest SOS's in the league and still cranked out a #2 seed.

"better team in pretty much every conceivable way"

****a pls...I believe Pittsburgh is a much better built team on offense. They're clearly better at QB, line, receiver and runningback. We have an edge at TE. I think we're about even on defense, overall, although we do force a few more turnovers and average one less point allowed, whereas they give up significatly less yards.

While we will be at home how much of a difference does Arrowhead realistically make at this point?

I think if we do win, it'll have to be in the weird way we won so many of our games this season, that being completely against the odds. Defense setting the offense up in short fields, or outright scoring themselves. Special teams scores. If it doesn't go that route, than we're going to have to hope that the offense in week 19 performs in a way it was unable to do in weeks 1 through 17.

Frankly, this season to me was a fluke. We should not be 12-4. That said, I'm glad we are and I'm glad we have a home game. I hope it goes well. I just don't expect that it will.

Sorry if my opinion ruffles your feathers.

CrowbarMan
01-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Because our run blocking is not very good and we haven't been able to run at will all season?

I do think that even in poor weather, Kelce and Hill will be productive enough for the run game to open up. But this just isn't a "run at will" kinda team this season.

Exactly. How many times were we stopped on 4th and 1 this year? If our short yardage game was reliable, then Andy wouldn't be making up Hungry Pig plays from the 2 yard line.

Marcellus
01-11-2017, 02:39 PM
This definitely deserved its own thread as it has not been discussed yet.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Really?

Better coaching- No
Better Special teams-No
Better fans-fuck No
Better Stadium-No
Better Defense- No
Steelers aren't better at everything

The problem is that we are built to win with defense. Reid coaches to win with defense. Reid calls offensive plays to win with defense.

If the steelers' offense is better than our defense then we are in trouble.

If the steelers' offense is significantly better than our defense then we are fucked.

Steelers dual-threat offense seems built to defeat our defense.

We will need key turnovers by our defense and our offense to successfully step out of it's comfort zone to win. Dee Ford and Houston better finally combine to bring us what we've been hoping for by sacking the crap out of Rapeburger.

Snica
01-11-2017, 02:43 PM
This definitely deserved its own thread as it has not been discussed yet.

There needs to be another thread to discuss the fact this needed a new thread. It's the CP way.

DJ's left nut
01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I'll also note that taxpayers/Hunts spent a fair amount of money a couple of years ago installing heated water pipes under the Arrowhead turf.

The field should be in acceptable shape and with the gloves the WRs wear these days, the cold shouldn't hurt their hands too terribly much.

I don't really expect the weather to be a factor.

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 02:48 PM
four nights out, still. I don't see anything falling on Sunday except for the Pittsburgh Steelers!

carcosa
01-11-2017, 02:49 PM
I think if we do win, it'll have to be in the weird way we won so many of our games this season, that being completely against the odds. Defense setting the offense up in short fields, or outright scoring themselves. Special teams scores. If it doesn't go that route, than we're going to have to hope that the offense in week 19 performs in a way it was unable to do in weeks 1 through 17.

Frankly, this season to me was a fluke. We should not be 12-4. That said, I'm glad we are and I'm glad we have a home game. I hope it goes well. I just don't expect that it will.

It's true that you can't rely on turnovers to win every game, but winning with turnovers isn't "weird" or "against the odds." It's how football works. This team won a lot of games (and lost a few, too) on big late-game twists of fate, but it's not a fluke that guys like Peters and Berry and Sorenson have gotten really good at causing turnovers. It's not a fluke that Hill is already the best returner since Devin Hester's prime. That's legit skill. There's some luck involved, but there's luck involved in every facet of the game.

Also, the offense showed flashes of brilliance in weeks 1 through 17 and started to put together more complete games toward the end of the season. It won't be some unexpected miracle if they have a great game on Sunday.

stevieray
01-11-2017, 02:51 PM
I believe Pittsburgh is a much better built team on offense. They're clearly better at QB, line, receiver and runningback. We have an edge at TE. I think we're about even on defense, overall, although we do force a few more turnovers and average one less point allowed, whereas they give up significatly less yards.

While we will be at home how much of a difference does Arrowhead realistically make at this point?

keg gonna keg....

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
I believe Pittsburgh is a much better built team on offense. They're clearly better at QB, line, receiver and runningback. We have an edge at TE. I think we're about even on defense, overall, although we do force a few more turnovers and average one less point allowed, whereas they give up significatly less yards.

Vagina post - Fix it IMMEDIATELY!

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
My issue with bad weather is that a slow field = slow pass rush.

Lzen
01-11-2017, 03:13 PM
keg gonna keg....

http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/open-uri20150422-20810-11ej849_779819a7.jpeg?region=0,0,600,600

Sry, Kyle, I just had to do it.

ROYC75
01-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Come on, we are HOME, we know our house, they don't.

Think back at how lost we were in their house! :rolleyes:

ptlyon
01-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Maybe Harrison won't illegal hit smith then

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Maybe Harrison won't illegal hit smith then

They'll still find a way to do that.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm fine with the bad weather. Bad weather will limit down field passing. Pitt has a better downfield passing attack, so it will affect their game plan more than KC's. KC will still use its short passing game.

ROYC75
01-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Field will be covered up until early that morning, hopefully the rain holds off on Sunday!

Aspengc8
01-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Your football logic is flawed. Bad weather will makes the offense more predictable. It's safer to keep a safety in the box, as the percentage of deep completions takes a nose dive. KC will plan to have an extra defender in the box most of the game to control the run, and make Ben try to throw deep in shitty conditions. Bad weather games makes winning the line of scrimmage even more important.

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Your football logic is flawed. Bad weather will makes the offense more predictable. It's safer to keep a safety in the box, as the percentage of deep completions takes a nose dive. KC will plan to have an extra defender in the box most of the game to control the run, and make Ben try to throw deep in shitty conditions. Bad weather games makes winning the line of scrimmage even more important.

When was the last cold & rainy game that KC played in? I don't remember Smith really struggling that much with passing in the rain this season.

But, as others have already stated, it's the run game of ours that I worry about. Really haven't done shit on the ground all year long.

stevieray
01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm fine with the bad weather. Bad weather will limit down field passing. Pitt has a better downfield passing attack, so it will affect their game plan more than KC's. KC will still use its short passing game.

^^^^^

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
how come nobody is bringing up Pitts shit special teams in ANY of the threads?

carcosa
01-11-2017, 03:35 PM

PREACH!!!

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 03:36 PM
PREACH!!!

thank you.

kgrund
01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with my football logic. I understand that the Chiefs could load the box to stop the run if the threat of the deep passing game is limited. However, I have doubts that if the Chiefs loaded the box and the Steelers brought in jumbo packages that we would consistently stuff that. I for one think they are a bit better along the line of scrimmage, which brings me back to my original thought that shitty conditions could likely play more into their hands.

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Because their special teams won't matter if our defense can't force them to punt.

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with my football logic. I understand that the Chiefs could load the box to stop the run if the threat of the deep passing game is limited. However, I have doubts that if the Chiefs loaded the box and the Steelers brought in jumbo packages that we would consistently stuff that. I for one think they are a bit better along the line of scrimmage, which brings me back to my original thought that shitty conditions could likely play more into their hands.

They have a dominant OL, as good of an interior as anyone in the NFL, which is a big reason why Bell has been so successful (that and the threat of the passing game).

carcosa
01-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Because their special teams won't matter if our defense can't force them to punt.

we can force them to kick off a bunch though

Chiefnj2
01-11-2017, 03:46 PM

If KC can't stop the run in the rain, why would it be easier to stop the run in good weather?

ptlyon
01-11-2017, 03:47 PM
we can force them to kick off a bunch though

Yeah!!!

Aspengc8
01-11-2017, 03:53 PM
When was the last cold & rainy game that KC played in? I don't remember Smith really struggling that much with passing in the rain this season.

But, as others have already stated, it's the run game of ours that I worry about. Really haven't done shit on the ground all year long.

I'm not talking rain.. wasn't the forecast for snow & ice?

Aspengc8
01-11-2017, 03:56 PM

So you think that KC can't stop the run in a snow/ice storm, and with +1 defenders in the box. Ok.

carcosa
01-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Most forecasts seem to indicate that the temps will be above freezing by game time.

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 03:57 PM

With those temps, I'm expecting sleet.

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 03:58 PM
vagina planet

Simply Red
01-11-2017, 03:59 PM

neither would your vagina.

Aspengc8
01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
With those temps, I'm expecting sleet.

That shouldn't be that bad then.

BlackHelicopters
01-11-2017, 04:30 PM
In

Chief Pagan
01-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Hill can still run every kickoff back for a touchdown.

:D

carcosa
01-11-2017, 04:55 PM

I already made a very funny joke to this effect. Please see post #47 in this thread. Thanks

BlackHelicopters
01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Rain is hardly an impediment. Both teams play in the same slop.

TribalElder
01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
With the awful weather forecast for Sunday, I can not help but think the weather will decisively put Pittsburgh in the drivers seat given their ability to run the ball and our inability to stop the run.

I also think we are an offense that cannot run the ball unless we have other things going in our offense since we have proven that we do not have an offensive line that can just line up on the ball and blow people off the ball.

I (1) hope the weather forecast is way off and (2) hope I am wrong about the result if the weather forecast holds up, but I can not help but think this weather is the worse thing we could of hoped for.

Sack up

Fuck the Steelers

Ken Bone
01-11-2017, 05:06 PM

This is how I know the Chiefs are going to win

carcosa
01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

This is how I know the Chiefs are going to win

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TAke a look, y&#39;all: IMG_4346.jpeg</p>&mdash; Stephen A Smith (@stephenasmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552">May 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GloryDayz
01-11-2017, 07:27 PM
If we nail Ben in the ankle with an ice ball, of face, the weather will have helped.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4i5195VBisQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OldSchool
01-11-2017, 07:38 PM

I'm hoping Reid puts Hill at KR instead of DAT but I don't think he will unless we go down two scores early.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-12-2017, 02:06 AM
Y'all are cute.

Demonpenz
01-12-2017, 02:34 AM
Maybe the bad weather will help defenders slide around when Alex Smith takes off with the ball

alanm
01-12-2017, 03:52 AM
You know what? If the Chiefs are the better team they will win Sunday.. Shit.. What are you gonna say next week when they have to play the Patriots? :shake:

TimeForWasp
01-12-2017, 04:58 AM
I can see Reid pulling rabbits out of his hat.

Dayze
01-12-2017, 07:01 AM
I can see Reid pulling rabbits out of his hat.

ribs, or burnt ends, yes. Rabbits, no.

jettio
01-12-2017, 07:22 AM

I disagree with your take about the worst thing that we could hope for.

I think the worst thing we actually have to deal with is fans who watch a 16-game regular season in which the chiefs go 12 and 4 and not one of the 4 losses has a post game dialogue about how the biggest reason the game was lost was an "inability to stop the run."

The Chiefs have played a few games in the rain this year and Alex Smith has proven to be a guy who can play QB in the rain.

Time's Yours
01-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Forecast just said ice will be over and we'll just have rain by kickoff. That plus heated field means no concerns.

BoneKrusher
01-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Pittsburgh has bigger stars, but to call them a better team in every way is... well, wrong.

I agree.
the key word here is TEAM.

carcosa
01-12-2017, 04:55 PM
I agree.
the key word here is TEAM.

YAS team!!!