PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: Observations that may not have been captured on the broadcast.

Direckshun
01-16-2017, 02:43 AM
Forgive me if these were captured, but I figured these might be interesting tidbits, as I was in Arrowhead tonight.

Many of you were at Arrowhead -- feel free to add your own thoughts.

1. What was pretty clear from the start of this game was that the Steelers were more prepared than we were. The Chiefs had at least two substitution snafus that I picked up on.

--One was in the first half, the Chiefs were on their own half of the field on offense, and Maclin refused to go out when Hill came in to sub him out. Maclin refused to leave the field, waving off the staff. Eventually, Conley was pulled. For the play in question, Conley stood on the sideline with his arms out, probably wondering what the hell happened.

--The other was in the second half, when the Chiefs were advancing the ball on the Steelers half of the field, and they ran Hill from the "I" formation up the gut for three yards. Ware came off the field, but apparently wasn't supposed to (the play was probably called for him?). Bienemy was gesturing aggressively and shouting and just about broke his clipboard in half yelling at Ware for coming out.

2. Houston is a huge presence on the field, even when he's not making plays in the backfield. I think he played fairly well (when we weren't asking him to cover the NFL's best receiver), but it was really between the snaps where he shined. After the Chiefs forced the first Steelers punt, the offense took over on the Steelers 47. During the commercial break, Houston was pumping up the OL as they stood on the arrowhead in the center of the field. Smacking his facemasks into them, pumping them up hard. Doing everything he could to affect the game in every way.

3. Mitchell played outstanding tonight, and should get a contract extension this offseason. In addition to covering well, Mitchell and Brown were in each other's facemasks all game. The Chiefs as a whole were very testy tonight against the Steelers, with squabbles breaking out all over the field in all three phases. But I counted at least four times Mitchell and Brown had to be separated.

4. Chiefs fans were well represented. The stadium was packed until the Steelers iced it late in the fourth, and while there were a lot of Steelers fans, at no point did that place turn into Pittsburgh West. And, yes, literally everybody but me in my section thought the Chiefs converted the 2 point conversion. Only I noticed the yellow flag.

5. This one you probably picked up: Terrance Smith plays hard at that ILB position, but this kid is a lost-in-coverage machine. He's going to need a lot more time before he's ready for primetime.

Rasputin
01-16-2017, 02:46 AM
We've heard Ben Rottenburger spout how he knew how to shut the crowd up by going no huddle did Chiefs not prepare for this tidbit of information?

Hammock Parties
01-16-2017, 03:00 AM
Houston was pumping up the OL as they stood on the arrowhead in the center of the field. Smacking his facemasks into them, pumping them up hard.

Well I'm glad he hit someone.

He certainly didn't sniff Big Ben.

The Steelers have a really good right tackle, but he made Houston disappear.

That's twice this year that's happened.

I'm moving towards an injury settlement with this guy if he doesn't come out on fire next year.

FlintHillsChiefs
01-16-2017, 03:04 AM
Well I'm glad he hit someone.

He certainly didn't sniff Big Ben.

The Steelers have a really good right tackle, but he made Houston disappear.

That's twice this year that's happened.

I'm moving towards an injury settlement with this guy if he doesn't come out on fire next year.

you should probably slit your wrists in salt water and do push ups.

GloryDayz
01-16-2017, 03:10 AM
Why, because Houston did?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)

Hammock Parties
01-16-2017, 03:11 AM

Justin Houston has been a giant waste of money so far, there's no doubt about it.

He was a dynamite player in 2014.

We should all be questioning whether he will ever be that player ever again, because most RTs in the NFL are not Don Stephenson.

GloryDayz
01-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Justin Houston has been a giant waste of money so far, there's no doubt about it.

He was a dynamite player in 2014.

We should all be questioning whether he will ever be that player ever again, because most RTs in the NFL are not Don Stephenson.
He's toast. And if he's not, next year's schedule will fry him like a fish.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2017, 03:21 AM
The Chiefs lack of a pass rush was a huge factor in their last two playoff losses.

Since we know Smith will be back, they'll absolutely be drafting a pass rusher in R1 or R2 in April.

They know they can't count on Houston, Hali is probably done, and Ford is either Derrick Thomas or Frank Zombo, depending on what he had for breakfast.

I bet R1/R2 is some combo of ILB/OLB/G

GloryDayz
01-16-2017, 03:25 AM
The Chiefs lack of a pass rush was a huge factor in their last two playoff losses.

Since we know Smith will be back, they'll absolutely be drafting a pass rusher in R1 or R2 in April.

They know they can't count on Houston, Hali is probably done, and Ford is either Derrick Thomas or Frank Zombo, depending on what he had for breakfast.

I bet R1/R2 is some combo of ILB/OLB/G
Well you're prolly right that it won't be a qb.

wheeler08
01-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Nothing made me more mad than having Houston covering Brown....twice!!! Unbelievable. I can't believe though that he was able to catch Brown to tackle him on the first one

GloryDayz
01-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Nothing made me more mad than having Houston covering Brown....twice!!! Unbelievable. I can't believe though that he was able to catch Brown to tackle him on the first one

Maybe Travis should have laid into him on the sideline for being slow.

hitchief
01-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Entire team fail!

You can find fault with every phase of the game on our side last night.

With all that said, we still tied that freaking game up without the freaking ref's screwing us.

Dante84
01-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Love Terrance Mitchell.

The Franchise
01-16-2017, 11:44 AM
There were several times where the defense looked lost. Like Parker and one of the CBs talking to each other about where to line up.....right as Ben snapped the ball

Rasputin
01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Peters broke up a ball in a WR hands that sure was to be a TD in the endzone but Peters got it out of his hands. I thought that was a good play at least.

raybec 4
01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Forgive me if these were captured, but I figured these might be interesting tidbits, as I was in Arrowhead tonight.

Many of you were at Arrowhead -- feel free to add your own thoughts.

1. What was pretty clear from the start of this game was that the Steelers were more prepared than we were. The Chiefs had at least two substitution snafus that I picked up on.

--One was in the first half, the Chiefs were on their own half of the field on offense, and Maclin refused to go out when Hill came in to sub him out. Maclin refused to leave the field, waving off the staff. Eventually, Conley was pulled. For the play in question, Conley stood on the sideline with his arms out, probably wondering what the hell happened.

--The other was in the second half, when the Chiefs were advancing the ball on the Steelers half of the field, and they ran Hill from the "I" formation up the gut for three yards. Ware came off the field, but apparently wasn't supposed to (the play was probably called for him?). Bienemy was gesturing aggressively and shouting and just about broke his clipboard in half yelling at Ware for coming out.

2. Houston is a huge presence on the field, even when he's not making plays in the backfield. I think he played fairly well (when we weren't asking him to cover the NFL's best receiver), but it was really between the snaps where he shined. After the Chiefs forced the first Steelers punt, the offense took over on the Steelers 47. During the commercial break, Houston was pumping up the OL as they stood on the arrowhead in the center of the field. Smacking his facemasks into them, pumping them up hard. Doing everything he could to affect the game in every way.

3. Mitchell played outstanding tonight, and should get a contract extension this offseason. In addition to covering well, Mitchell and Brown were in each other's facemasks all game. The Chiefs as a whole were very testy tonight against the Steelers, with squabbles breaking out all over the field in all three phases. But I counted at least four times Mitchell and Brown had to be separated.

4. Chiefs fans were well represented. The stadium was packed until the Steelers iced it late in the fourth, and while there were a lot of Steelers fans, at no point did that place turn into Pittsburgh West. And, yes, literally everybody but me in my section thought the Chiefs converted the 2 point conversion. Only I noticed the yellow flag.

5. This one you probably picked up: Terrance Smith plays hard at that ILB position, but this kid is a lost-in-coverage machine. He's going to need a lot more time before he's ready for primetime.

You never fail to point out that you're the smartest guy around. Kudos