PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Which QBs could win a Super Bowl with this roster?

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:27 AM
First of all, technically this isn't another Alex thread. It's a literally anybody else thread.

With all the rumors surrounding Philip Rivers, I started to think about whether he'd be able to win a Super Bowl with this Chiefs roster. Rivers is a very good quarterback, but he's not a no-brainer elite QB like Brady or Rodgers. While the Chiefs clearly have plenty of deficiencies outside of QB (especially in the running game on both sides of the ball), certain quarterbacks can help cover for those deficiencies by being more than a competent game manager. I came to the conclusion that yes, Rivers could absolutely win a Super Bowl here.

Which made me wonder, which other current NFL starters could win a Super Bowl with this Chiefs roster?? Poll forthcoming.

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Brady
Rodgers
Big Ben
Wilson
Brees
Ryan
Luck
Cam
Rivers
Flacco
Eli

Carr, Mariotta, Winston are too young just yet.

Snica
01-18-2017, 09:32 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure any QB could win a SB here. Lets Trade for Aaron Rodgers and find out.

Seriously though, with the history of this organization, do you really think we will ever see a superbowl victory here? If we ever get the right QB we will have the wrong coach. Shit, Vermiel had the highest scoring offense in the league, the right QB and fucked the team over by ignoring the defense.

St. Patty's Fire
01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing regarding Rivers.

I'd say our chances of winning go up significantly if we replaced Smith with Rivers.

My list: Rodgers, Luck, Newton, Brady, Rape, Ryan, Rivers, Mascara boy, Brees, Wilson are all the ones where if you put them on this team we'd be odds on favorites. After that, Mariota, Winston, Eli, Precott, maybe Flacco.

Amnorix
01-18-2017, 09:37 AM
My worry with Rivers is simple -- and I really do like him generally as a QB and person -- but he had some hella talented SD teams back when they had LT and GAtes and those guys, and I don't think he even went to a SB much less won one.

It does seem to me that the AFC was more talented overall back then, however.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Brady
Rodgers
Big Ben
Wilson
Brees
Ryan
Luck
Cam
Rivers
Flacco
Eli

I think Carr could win one with us right now. Look at how well the Raiders did without an actual defense. Put him on this roster with a D that forces turnovers and prevents touchdowns, and all those close games Carr had to pull out this season turn into blowouts.

I'm not so sure about Flacco or Eli, even though they've won Super Bowls. They just feel like QBs who would never in a million years be able to win one in KC.

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2017, 09:39 AM
My worry with Rivers is simple -- and I really do like him generally as a QB and person -- but he had some hella talented SD teams back when they had LT and GAtes and those guys, and I don't think he even went to a SB much less won one.

He lost to Brady twice and Big Ben once.

ptlyon
01-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Obvious answer: Poe. Duh.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:41 AM

This is fair, but considering how far the Chiefs have gotten with a mediocre QB, if you swap in a truly talented QB like Rivers, I think you're a genuine Super Bowl contender.

mcaj22
01-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Carr, Winston, Mariota are all yes. not even debatable

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Obvious answer: Poe. Duh.

HELL yeah

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

I think Carr is a yes, but I dunno if the other two are quite there YET. If we're talking about who could win a Super Bowl right now, stepping into THIS roster, Carr is the only sure contender IMVHO.

Chiefnj2
None because Reid would screw it up.

carcosa
None because Reid would screw it up.

smh

Baby Lee
01-18-2017, 09:46 AM
A good number of the list, because Dorsey built them the squad to be a complete team.

They're not good enough to drag dead weight like Osweiler, Fitzpatrick, Bortles or Kaepernick over the line, but ready to march with a competent teammate.

Much more important the squad enter the playoffs healthy with a good game plan, than any particular signal caller.

King_Chief_Fan
01-18-2017, 09:47 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure any QB could win a SB here. Lets Trade for Aaron Rodgers and find out.

Seriously though, with the history of this organization, do you really think we will ever see a superbowl victory here? If we ever get the right QB we will have the wrong coach. Shit, Vermiel had the highest scoring offense in the league, the right QB and ****ed the team over by ignoring the defense.
I saw the Chiefs play in two Super Bowls.
At this point I wonder if I will see another.

ptlyon
01-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Much more important the squad enter the playoffs healthy with a good game plan, than any particular signal caller.

Like we did, huh

mcaj22
01-18-2017, 09:50 AM
I think Carr is a yes, but I dunno if the other two are quite there YET. If we're talking about who could win a Super Bowl right now, stepping into THIS roster, Carr is the only sure contender IMVHO.

Winston and Mariota just beat Alex this year. And their positional talent (defenses they have) are way worse than the Chiefs.

Alex couldnt even muster up 20 points against the Bucs and Titans secondaries two of the worst in the league.

Give Winston and Mariota a defense and special teams like the Chiefs and thats a lot less they have to do to try and make a play, every play

carcosa
01-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Winston and Mariota just beat Alex this year. And their positional talent (defenses they have) are way worse than the Chiefs.

Alex couldnt even muster up 20 points against the Bucs and Titans secondaries two of the worst in the league.

Give Winston and Mariota a defense and special teams like the Chiefs and thats a lot less they have to do to try and make a play, every play

Hmmmm yes fair.

Okay, somebody tell Dorsey to trade for Winston or Mariota so we can test this.

Baby Lee
01-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Like we did, huh

When?

Amnorix
01-18-2017, 09:52 AM
This is fair, but considering how far the Chiefs have gotten with a mediocre QB, if you swap in a truly talented QB like Rivers, I think you're a genuine Super Bowl contender.

I'ts a fair point.

Amnorix
01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
I saw the Chiefs play in two Super Bowls.
At this point I wonder if I will see another.

The goods news I think is that the AFC is looking fairly wide open in the upcoming years. Brady can't really stay at this level forever (I think), Manning is gone, and the other super-elite QBs are in the NFC. Big Ben is very real, so he's a problem, but otherwise, the AFC is kinda wide open. We'll see if these new kids keep developing.

But that opens up possibilities for the Chiefs.

If you're a, whatever, Bears fan, you're pretty well fucked for the foreseeable future. Between Rodgers, Cam, Dak, Brees (who also doesn't seem to be slowing down), Ryan and Wilson, you're pretty completely fucked.

mcaj22
01-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm yes fair.

Okay, somebody tell Dorsey to trade for Winston or Mariota so we can test this.

the way i look at is

If Winston and Mariota can get the Bucs and Titans to 9 wins, then they can certainly do even more with the Chiefs roster which from spots 2 to 53 (1 being the QB) is one of the best in the league

ptlyon
01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
When?

Sunday. We were healthy, is what I meant. If you are referring to the good game plan part, then I understand.

ClevelandBronco
01-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Derek Carr
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Those at least. Maybe others.

lcarus
01-18-2017, 10:22 AM
We could have the best QB of all time and we'd lose our first playoff game because he'd get a concussion on the first drive or something. That's how it feels anyway. Just can't win.

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Talent wise, yes. Unfortunately maturity and age plays a big part in winning Super Bowls. Average age of a first time Super Bowl winner is 27/28. And if you look across multiple sports like basketball for example. That is the same age that a lot of the superstars won their first championship - LeBron, Shaq, Jordan, Larry Bird, etc.

Johnny Vegas
01-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Guys we had Joe Montana and still couldn't get to the SB

KChiefs1
01-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Phyllis would bring a Super Bowl to KC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupidStunt
01-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Brady
Rodgers
Big Ben
Wilson
Brees
Ryan
Luck
Cam
Rivers
Flacco
Eli

Don't kid yourself, a guy like Carr could EASILY take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. It's pretty difficult to win one, so I'm not saying we definitely would with him, but for example we would've SMOKED Pittsburgh.

Add:

Prescott
Cousins
Stafford

Maybe even others. This was a 12-4 team with Alex Whiff. The potential was quite immense with an actual QB.

St. Patty's Fire
01-18-2017, 11:47 AM
forgot about stafford

if hes healthy then he definitely belongs on the list

carcosa
01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Don't kid yourself, a guy like Carr could EASILY take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. It's pretty difficult to win one, so I'm not saying we definitely would with him, but for example we would've SMOKED Pittsburgh.

Add:

Prescott
Cousins
Stafford

Maybe even others. This was a 12-4 team with Alex Whiff. The potential was quite immense with an actual QB.

Stafford's on my list.

Prescott hasn't had to elevate his team's play yet; he has an insanely good line and a generational talent at RB, not to mention reliable targets like Witten and Dez. I don't think he could carry the Chiefs roster to a SB... yet.

Kirk Cousins is Alex Smith with more interceptions.

Dayze
01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Chiefs are just waiting for the perfect time when they have the #1 overall pick, and there's a consensus sure fire, can't miss QB to be had at #1.

....and would spend a majority of their time figuring out how to trade out of it.

gold_and_red
01-18-2017, 11:56 AM
You have to absolutely consider the offensive minded HC also (and the lack of a true OC). I think the poll should read which QB can win a SB with this roster and Reid as the play calling HC.

CupidStunt
01-18-2017, 11:59 AM

...oh yeah, and just those pesky 1500 yards, 10 TDs, a full YPA, etc.

Jesus, this place is an infestation of stupid. You people deserve Alex Whiff and Mark Castle. Hopefully we trade three 1sts for Sam Bradford and you can talk about his low INT and high completion % too. :shake:

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
...oh yeah, and just those pesky 1500 yards, 10 TDs, a full YPA, etc.

Jesus, this place is an infestation of stupid. You people deserve Alex Whiff and Mark Castle. Hopefully we trade three 1sts for Sam Bradford and you can talk about his low INT and high completion % too. :shake:

Lol. You think Kirk Cousins can win a Super Bowl and I'm the stupid one.

Chiefnj2
01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
People overestimate the talent on the roster. The roster failed miserably Sunday.

dls6501
01-18-2017, 12:04 PM

Are you insane? Cousins threw for a sliver under 5,000 yards this year....while completing the same amount of passes that Alex did. 60% of Cousins yards were air yards. Meanwhile, Alex ranked dead last amongst qualified starters in air yards, in spite of it being a personal career best. Cousins threw 25 touchdown passes, while Alex threw 15. They arent even close to the same quarterback.

Oh, and as far as interceptions go....yes, Kirk threw a whopping 4 more interceptions than Alex did.

Kirk Cousins is Alex Smith. Jesus, make it stop.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:06 PM
This season, Kirk Cousins had Jamison Crowder, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed, and a revived Vernon Davis... and missed the playoffs. He threw 1 TD and 2 INTs in the Week 17 game that could have gotten them into the playoffs.

No way in hell Kirk Cousins wins a Super Bowl with this roster.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Are you insane? Cousins threw for a sliver under 5,000 yards this year....while completing the same amount of passes that Alex did. 60% of Cousins yards were air yards. Meanwhile, Alex ranked dead last amongst qualified starters in air yards, in spite of it being a personal career best. Cousins threw 25 touchdown passes, while Alex threw 15. They arent even close to the same quarterback.

Oh, and as far as interceptions go....yes, Kirk threw a whopping 4 more interceptions than Alex did.

Kirk Cousins is Alex Smith. Jesus, make it stop.

Okay, he's Alex Smith with more interceptions and better overall numbers. His decision making is trash. He can't create any better than Smith can. He had an insane number of weapons this year and couldn't do shit with them.

If Kirk Cousins came to KC, he'd be run out of town in 4-5 years just like the last dozen retreads.

CupidStunt
01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Lol. You think Kirk Cousins can win a Super Bowl and I'm the stupid one.

The mere fact that you think he can't tells us all we need to know. You're a complete fvcking idiot who thinks INTs mean anything. They are a completely irrelevant statistic that elite QBs overcome. Big Ben threw 13 this year. 16 last year. Who gives a fuck? If he turns it over, he just drives down the field the next time he has it and scores.

YPA and TD% are the types of stats that matter. Alex Whiff is utter dogshit in these of course. Because he's a pathetic pussy who checks it down and never throws to the end zone. Matt Ryan has thrown a ton of INTs in his career, but no one gives a fuck because he's incredibly productive.

Think of NFL QBs like insurance salesmen.

The best (Brady, Rodgers etc.) sell 50 per day. They never sell less than 30.

The next tier (Wilson, Luck etc.) sell 35 per day. They have an odd bad day, only 10 or so, but rarely.

You know what Alex Smith does? He never has a bad day. Never drops below 15. But guess what? The fucker NEVER sells more than 20, either. Never. Even if he gets close, he gets in the back of his truck and curls up in the fetal position, rocking himself to sleep as he says, "Dear Lord, I can't face any more customers. This is toooo much!!!!!"

CupidStunt
01-18-2017, 12:14 PM
He can't create any better than Smith can.

Book an optometrist appointment immediately.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Washington was ranked 30th in red zone touchdown percentage this year.

Love 2 throw 4 5,000 yards and then have the ball picked off in the end zone!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000704593/Barry-Church-intercepts-Kirk-Cousins-in-end-zone

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:17 PM
The mere fact that you think he can't tells us all we need to know. You're a complete ****ing idiot who thinks INTs mean anything. They are a completely irrelevant statistic that elite QBs overcome. Big Ben threw 13 this year. 16 last year. Who gives a ****? If he turns it over, he just drives down the field the next time he has it and scores.

YPA and TD% are the types of stats that matter. Alex Whiff is utter dogshit in these of course. Because he's a pathetic pussy who checks it down and never throws to the end zone. Matt Ryan has thrown a ton of INTs in his career, but no one gives a **** because he's incredibly productive.

Think of NFL QBs like insurance salesmen.

The best (Brady, Rodgers etc.) sell 50 per day. They never sell less than 30.

The next tier (Wilson, Luck etc.) sell 35 per day. They have an odd bad day, only 10 or so, but rarely.

You know what Alex Smith does? He never has a bad day. Never drops below 15. But guess what? The ****er NEVER sells more than 20, either. Never. Even if he gets close, he gets in the back of his truck and curls up in the fetal position, rocking himself to sleep as he says, "Dear Lord, I can't face any more customers. This is toooo much!!!!!"

I'm not saying that interceptions are the worst thing in the world. I'm saying that Kirk Cousins couldn't get us any further than Alex Smith can; he'd just throw a few more picks (and, sure, more touchdowns) along the way. The end result would be the same.

Molitoth
01-18-2017, 12:18 PM
This season, Kirk Cousins had Jamison Crowder, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed, and a revived Vernon Davis... and missed the playoffs. He threw 1 TD and 2 INTs in the Week 17 game that could have gotten them into the playoffs.

No way in hell Kirk Cousins wins a Super Bowl with this roster.

Remember that W/L are a team stat.
Tell me Barry Sanders was bad because of his Teams W/L records.

It's the same argument I tell these shitheads that keep saying "ALL ALEX SMITH DOES IS WIN!!!"

I'm not a huge fan of Cousins, but I don't watch him play...
I refuse to look at simple stats or W/L to tell the WHOLE story.

Alex Smith has some of the worst pocket presence in football, but a stat sheet won't tell you that.

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Book an optometrist appointment immediately.

I can see this pretty clearly:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

You'd think if Cousins were good at creating, he'd create a few more touchdowns in the red zone.

Oh, and he's ranked right below Bradford in red zone passing this year:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/redzone-passing.htm

Hey, weren't we all pretty pissed at how bad Smith was at scoring in the red zone this year? Maybe we should get a QB who's WORSE than he was at that!!!!

carcosa
01-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Remember that W/L are a team stat.
Tell me Barry Sanders was bad because of his Teams W/L records.

It's the same argument I tell these shitheads that keep saying "ALL ALEX SMITH DOES IS WIN!!!"

I'm not a huge fan of Cousins, but I don't watch him play...
I refuse to look at simple stats or W/L to tell the WHOLE story.

Alex Smith has some of the worst pocket presence in football, but a stat sheet won't tell you that.

You're right that they're a team stat. That's why I'm bringing up the roster around him. A team with that much talent on offense needs to be better than 8-7-1. Granted, the Redskins have other weaknesses (especially on defense), but Cousins couldn't elevate the team to win. And that's what this whole thread is about.

Dartgod
01-18-2017, 02:23 PM
So, BucEyedPea thinks Brady could win, but not Rodgers.

And King_Chief_Fan thinks Rodgers could win, but not Brady.

Both those guys should be unanimous. I'd like to hear their reasoning.

CupidStunt
01-18-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm not saying that interceptions are the worst thing in the world. I'm saying that Kirk Cousins couldn't get us any further than Alex Smith can; he'd just throw a few more picks (and, sure, more touchdowns) along the way. The end result would be the same.

Yeah, I'm sure our offense with Hill and Kelce etc would've looked just as pathetic vs the Steelers with a 5000-yard passer. No chance a guy with his elite-level production would've put up more than the pathetic 10 points Alex Whiff could muster in 55 minutes, when the game actually mattered.

Fucking Chiefs fans. Again, you people deserve this dogshit you lap up year in and year out.