PDA

View Full Version : Life Where do you go to find local dog breeders?

Mr_Tomahawk
01-20-2017, 09:17 PM
My family is toying with the idea of getting a puppy.

Growing up, I was raised with Boxers. And back in the day I know you could just grab the STAR and go to the classifieds and see hundreds of litters listed for sale. This was before the internet...

Today, it's quite different. Craigslist is full of retired hounds and mixes. I'm in search of a purebred puppy... so a shelter, most likely, is not going to have much of what we are looking for.

Is there a website for local KC breeders?

Just some pups that have been discussed:
-Boxer
-English Bulldog
-French Bulldog
-Tyler Braydog
-Pug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAUTO
01-20-2017, 09:23 PM
My female is in heat, im most likely going to have boxer puppies soon.

Both akc registered. My male is in the pets thread.

Nickhead
01-20-2017, 09:29 PM
it's funny how mankinds desire to have a preferred pet over a stray. sorta mirrors children in foster homes. not shitting on you op, sorry, just was a realization. :D :toast:

KS Smitty
01-20-2017, 09:32 PM
I have some friends that just got a boxer pup from a rescue site, I can find out the info if you're interested.

mr. tegu
01-20-2017, 09:35 PM
www.puppyfind.com

jjchieffan
01-20-2017, 09:37 PM
I have a friend that raises English Bulldogs. I'll see if he has pups.

SAUTO
01-20-2017, 09:39 PM
www.puppyfind.com

Otherwise, this.

I found one of my boxers here, And just got a rott and found her here too.

You just have to do some research on the people before buying.

But good luck finding in kc. My rott was in bum fuck arkansas, boxer was in bum fuck okla., other boxer was in Iowa.

TribalElder
01-20-2017, 09:46 PM
check animal shelters

http://www.waysidewaifs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Pet_detail_new&aid=60191&cid=14&tid=Dog#.WILZp8tOKhB

http://www.greatplainsspca.org/adopt/adoptable-dogs/

Psyko Tek
01-20-2017, 10:03 PM
you could go on craigslist, but it ain't gonna be pretty

MOhillbilly
01-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Good dogs are where you find them. I sell dogs on Craigslist and you will never get a better animal for the price.

Shag
01-20-2017, 10:51 PM
I have two close friends who are vets, and they both strongly discouraged me from boxers (they were on my short list), due to a very high occurrence of cancer.

Great dogs, but something to keep in mind.

stumppy
01-20-2017, 10:52 PM
I'll just drop this right here.
And add that he is a Border Collie / Karelian Bear dog mix.

Girlfriend Wanted
HELP WANTED. For a friend
Who goes by the code name of Dodger.
Mans best friend for life, a virgin in strife
I'd like to find him some bitches to Rodger.

A boarder collie he might be of mix
no papers to certify his breed
but a playdate with your she-dog
will take care of his needs.

Dodger won't care if she's short, fat or bald
or if her pedigree is top billing
as long as her tail is up
and her back side he's drilling.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Or you could just look up a local animal shelter for a boxer and not be an obnoxious prick

Mr. Laz
01-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Good dogs are where you find them. I sell dogs on Craigslist and you will never get a better animal for the price.
Figures, 40 billion dogs in the world and you are breeding more.

Dogfighting too, I suppose

MOhillbilly
01-20-2017, 10:55 PM

Does your wife know she married a nagger?

Mojo Jojo
01-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Go to a shelter, save a dog or cats life.

Reerun_KC
01-20-2017, 11:05 PM
We only purchase Australian Shepherds....

Nickhead
01-20-2017, 11:08 PM
We only purchase Australian Shepherds....

the irony is, they didn't even come from the land down under. beautiful dog tho! :D

Reerun_KC
01-20-2017, 11:11 PM
the irony is, they didn't even come from the land down under. beautiful dog tho! :D
I know. It's funny.

I have a red Merle, blue merle and a black tri...

They are so loving and crazy. They love to chase and eat squirrels...

MOhillbilly
01-20-2017, 11:19 PM
I took in two strays Christmas 2015 that were 13 days old. Fed them fuckers round the clock for weeks straight. One of em turned out to be a super good hound. Follows the kids every where. Sleeps under the stantion in the morning, super smart world class bitch...I shot the other one cause she was a piece of shit. Good dogs are where you find them..

Nickhead
01-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Went to the pound, the dog catcher let about ten dogs out. One of them, come up to my wife, tail wagging, and jump in her arms.

To this day, six years later, she is the sweetest dog ever (Staffy cross Cattle Dog)... Ashlynn

Buehler445
01-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Petfinder.com is rescues. ASPCA I think but you can find close to pure bred there. Doubt there will be papers.

DEFINITELY research breeds. There is a lot of variability in the disposition and needs of the dog breeds you listed. Wife did a bunch of research and I'm glad she did. I wanted a lab but she showed me the characteristics and we settled on an Australian Cattle Dog. I'm glad we did. Nothing against labs but this is a better fit.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-21-2017, 12:21 AM
I used to own and breed AKC Championship bloodline Rotts when I lived out by Fort Bragg. Had a beautiful Male and 3 females and then would stud him out for $500 a pop.

Squalor2
01-21-2017, 12:36 AM

may your bank treat you as a cocker spaniel.

cosmo20002
01-21-2017, 01:03 AM
My family is toying with the idea of getting a puppy.

Growing up, I was raised with Boxers. And back in the day I know you could just grab the STAR and go to the classifieds and see hundreds of litters listed for sale. This was before the internet...

Today, it's quite different. Craigslist is full of retired hounds and mixes. I'm in search of a purebred puppy... so a shelter, most likely, is not going to have much of what we are looking for.

Is there a website for local KC breeders?

Just some pups that have been discussed:
-Boxer
-English Bulldog
-French Bulldog
-Tyler Braydog
-Pug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to a shelter. Purebreds are generally for assholes and breeders are generally assholes.

Not sure why you want those particular breeds, and I'm sure they have their charms, but they also have a ton of common health problems and relatively short lives, especially the bulldogs.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2017, 08:48 AM
To each his own.

GloucesterChief
01-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Purebreed English bulldogs have tons of breathing and health problems. Frenchies are a little better. American bulldogs are fine. Really anything with the smashed in snout has breather problems.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Yeah...I'm familiar ABOUT the breeds; I use to work at a vet.

It's not what I asked...

LoneWolf
01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Or you could just look up a local animal shelter for a boxer and not be an obnoxious prick

Are all of your children adopted? If not, just shut the fuck up.

Scorp
01-21-2017, 09:18 AM

You know what? **** off. I am so tired of people saying that shit. Guess what smart guy, I did just that. I went to the shelter and got two sibling kittens. Brought them home, took them to the Vet. They both had worms and they both have Feline Herpes Virus. Feline Herpes Virus is contagious to any cat it comes in contact with and is uncurable. So the Feline Herpes Virus is just infecting every cat that comes in to that shelter. These cats have been a huge burden financially and are always sick.

**** you and your shelter!

COchief
01-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Always nice to start the weekend with my blood boiling, thanks to all the assholes in this thread.

You can find anything you ****ing want on petfinder.com, any ****ing thing, there are breed specific rescues. You can search by age, breed, sex, location etc. I found two mini Aussie puppies which sell for $800-1K in ten seconds. There are three pages of boxer puppies/mixes, you might not get "papers" which I know is such a massive ****ing tragedy. I guess your big plans to take home the Westminster trophy might not happen. The breed specific rescues will bring you in a dog from any where in the country to prevent another breeder sale.

The reason you can no longer see "tons of ads" is because society has actually progressed and realized that every puppy bred kills a shelter dog. Supply and demand, maybe you've heard of it?

Here are some of the dogs you can save, they're hoping saying the word "rescue" might matter more than telling people "purebred, papers". Tilly is really hoping you decide to not be a ****, her life is literally on the line.

petfinder search: https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?query_id=FEA29142-DFEA-11E6-AB23-1D51261DBAF8&page_number=0

Boxer Rescues: http://www.midwestboxerrescues.com/
Look at that, there's even one in MO: http://www.mvboxerclub.com/rescue.htm

PS Mohillbilly can do whatever he wants, that's one scary MFer. I like the guy bragging about rescuing two dogs from across the country...and then...breeding. Brilliant!

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2017, 09:42 AM
So you are saying a purebred pups life isn't as valuable as one from a shelter...that purebred puppy doesn't deserve a home...?

Boil away.

LoneWolf
01-21-2017, 09:53 AM
So you are saying a purebred pups life isn't as valuable as one from a shelter...that purebred puppy doesn't deserve a home...?

Boil away.

Tomahawk, if you want a purebred puppy, get a purebred puppy. Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? You're not the reason there are homeless dogs out there and it isn't your responsibility to solve that problem.

HemiEd
01-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Just say no to "Puppy Mills." They treat the dogs inhumanely and every time a dog is "rescued" from a puppy mill, it sentences the mother to another litter.

We have two actual rescues from the humane society and they are wonderful. For $150 they are spayed and have a chip in them. I would dread life without them.

HemiEd
01-21-2017, 09:57 AM

This! A thousand times this!

loochy
01-21-2017, 10:51 AM
TigerUppercut breeds with doga all the time. Ask him.

COchief
01-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Boil away.

I am not saying either one's life is more valuable than the other, the only one saying one's life is worth less than the other...is you.

I hope you don't "dig in" on your stance, I hope you at least look at the info I provided and consider it. Tilly is cute as shit, hell I want her and I'm a herding dog guy through and through. My post was purposefully harsh, it's something I feel passionately about and have dedicated hundreds of hours to helping shelter pets, but really hope you just consider it or hopefully go meet a few of them.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2017, 11:05 AM
I am not saying either one's life is more valuable than the other, the only one saying one's life is worth less than the other...is you.

I hope you don't "dig in" on your stance, I hope you at least look at the info I provided and consider it. Tilly is cute as shit, hell I want her and I'm a herding dog guy through and through. My post was purposefully harsh, it's something I feel passionately about and have dedicated hundreds of hours to helping shelter pets, but really hope you just consider it or hopefully go meet a few of them.

My inlaws lost both of their dogs within a year of eachother two years ago.

Last year, my wife and I bought (rehoming fee) them 2 Boxadors...from a shelter. AWESOME dogs.

I was raised with Boxers. Love them.

We [my family] are currently interested in the recognized breeds per the OP. If I wanted a mixed/rescue dog, I know where to go and don't need to ask CP.

But I was asking about purebred breeders...so shoot me.

COchief
01-21-2017, 11:16 AM
But I was asking about purebred breeders...so shoot me.

I dialed back the tone of my post purposefully, you absolutely can get purebred dogs and puppies from shelters and breed specific rescues. Either way you go (breeder or rescue), it seems like you're going to take a dog without a home and give it a loving one so honestly bravo.

Just know that there are effects downstream, and while you are only making the choice on one dog and that's easy to justify, the reality is you're directly part of the reason a million dogs a year are sent to their graves. A harsh truth yes, but an undeniable truth nonetheless.

Also I think boxers are one of the most lovable, goofy, and unique breeds out there. Definitely not my breed due to the tendency of lower intelligence, but overall they're awesome dogs.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
I used to own and breed AKC Championship bloodline Rotts when I lived out by Fort Bragg. Had a beautiful Male and 3 females and then would stud him out for $500 a pop.

Must have been a LONG time ago.

Champion stud fees are over 2000 a pop right now.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Boxers are of lower intelligence? No fucking way. They are big fucking kids and just can't help themselves sometimes but they know EXACTLY what they did and that it is wrong.

Plus if you are smart and do some simple research you can find a puppy that has been bred to have the temperament you are looking for. It's all about the blood lines.

If you want a pure bed pup get you one.

I've bought three in the last two years and am happy with all of them.

First was from a family in Iowa that owns a male and female and a big farm, they had puppies, first littler when the female was almost three.

Second was from a retired couple in Oklahoma. They had a female and their kids have a male. Puppies.

Third was my rott who came from an amish family 25 miles from no where in arkansas. All they do is raise rotts. Championship rotts.

My female boxer is in heat, I'm not actively trying to keep her from getting pregnant. If she did I will sell those pups and not feel bad about it at all.

The reason I got matched pairs I'd to get a return on my investment. Pure breed dogs are expensive. I've got 700 plus the trip in each boxer'initial purchase. Then everything since. If she had a litter this time it will probably be her only one, I don't like when they get all stretched out. Sell one litter and my adults are basically free for life.

Neither have ever been sick or had any issues.

I could care about pups (by I don't) that people let run fee and mate then dumped at the pound. That doesn't impact me at all and isn't the kind of dog I wanted.

To each their own though.

TimeForWasp
01-21-2017, 12:12 PM
I know of a guy who breeding his pit bull , but his room mate turned him in.

Lzen
01-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Boxers are of lower intelligence? No ****ing way. They are big ****ing kids and just can't help themselves sometimes but they know EXACTLY what they did and that it is wrong.

I was about to respond to that but I see that you got it covered. What an ignorant thing for him to say.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 01:34 PM
I was about to respond to that but I see that you got it covered. What an ignorant thing for him to say.

When one of mine walks into a room with their ears pinned back and giving us "that look" we automatically just say "what did you do?" They turn around and take us right to it.

Usually it's a hot wheel that bit the dust.

They really are smart dogs. Just pups until around 3

COchief
01-21-2017, 01:42 PM

A quick google search confirms you're both right, my bad. I guess that was the goofy demeanor swaying me and also a specific CP thread where the breed kinda got piled on. Can't remember the specifics but someone kept finding his on the roof or something.

Anyway, I was wrong.

/not that hard to admit

Pitt Gorilla
01-21-2017, 01:46 PM
it's funny how mankinds desire to have a preferred pet over a stray. sorta mirrors children in foster homes. not shitting on you op, sorry, just was a realization. :D :toast:Agreed.

Buehler445
01-21-2017, 01:47 PM
When one of mine walks into a room with their ears pinned back and giving us "that look" we automatically just say "what did you do?" They turn around and take us right to it.

Usually it's a hot wheel that bit the dust.

They really are smart dogs. Just pups until around forever

Fixed. :D

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 01:49 PM
A quick google search confirms you're both right, my bad. I guess that was the goofy demeanor swaying me and also a specific CP thread where the breed kinda got piled on. Can't remember the specifics but someone kept finding his on the roof or something.

Anyway, I was wrong.

/not that hard to admit
ROFL, they definitely ARE goofy Fuckers. And like I said even the best are prone to going off the fucking rails every once in a while lol. But they really are smart dogs.

Really fun too. My female is like a deer, she's beautiful in motion.

And on the purebred issue, sometimes people don't want traits associated with some breeds, so you stick with breeds who have traits you are comfortable with. Pure breeding HELPS with this if done correctly.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Fixed. :D

Yeah, but I love the goofy fucks

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 01:51 PM
It's funny though, getting a laid back rott puppy has changed the boxers greatly.

They act like the puppy a lot.

Pablo
01-21-2017, 01:52 PM
I got a dumbshit mutt from KC Pet Project. Part Weimaraner, part possum, just a weird looking dog. Pretty sweet though. And then I have this bastard beagle that I gave some asshole in BFE $100 for. He needs to hurry up and get out of puppy stage before I murder him. He's a sweet dog too, but sometimes I want to end his life with a shovel.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 01:55 PM
We had beagles before we had boxers.

One was so fucking dumb I'm not sure how it breathed, the other barked non stop. I'm talking 99.9 percent of the fucking time.

Put on a bark collar? It would bark then yep then bark then yelp then bark then yelp.

Fuck those dogs, the barker went to kc to some teacher, the other went to an old guy and rides around on his dash.

Demonpenz
01-21-2017, 01:56 PM
I got a pure bread that we have a pet, then we have one from the shelter to kick after another sideways pass

COchief
01-21-2017, 02:00 PM
ROFL, they definitely ARE goofy ****ers. And like I said even the best are prone to going off the ****ing rails every once in a while lol. But they really are smart dogs.

Really fun too. My female is like a deer, she's beautiful in motion.

And on the purebred issue, sometimes people don't want traits associated with some breeds, so you stick with breeds who have traits you are comfortable with. Pure breeding HELPS with this if done correctly.

Here's a fun story for you, when I first moved to Colorado my neighbors had a fairly large boxer that would always chill in the back yard but would sort of come to attention if we were out back. I had zero breed knowledge nor had I ever heard of a boxer, I assumed since it's face was a little bulldog/pittish and it's muscular build that it was a badass MFer and sort of thought in the back of my mind that it may jump the fence and tear us all to pieces. Basically I lived in fear of a boxer of almost 2 years. :)

As a frequent dog park visitor the last few years the above is hilarious to me now as I'm well aware of how fun and playful they are.

Pablo
01-21-2017, 02:01 PM

One was so fucking dumb I'm not sure how it breathed, the other barked non stop. I'm talking 99.9 percent of the fucking time.

Put on a bark collar? It would bark then yep then bark then yelp then bark then yelp.

Fuck those dogs, the barker went to kc to some teacher, the other went to an old guy and rides around on his dash.This one doesn't bark much at all. He's just into everything all the time. Food, trash, any paper product he can shred. And he's the most stubborn asshole in the world. That's my issue.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Here's a fun story for you, when I first moved to Colorado my neighbors had a fairly large boxer that would always chill in the back yard but would sort of come to attention if we were out back. I had zero breed knowledge nor had I ever heard of a boxer, I assumed since it's face was a little bulldog/pittish and it's muscular build that it was a badass MFer and sort of thought in the back of my mind that it may jump the fence and tear us all to pieces. Basically I lived in fear of a boxer of almost 2 years. :)

As a frequent dog park visitor the last few years the above is hilarious to me now as I'm well aware of how fun and playful they are.

ROFL yeah they wouldn't hurt anything, now jumping the fence? My male never tried, my female can get over a four foot fence without touching it, and will CLIMB a six footer to get over it. No fence will ever keep her in if she wants out.

But all she's gonna do is lick you to death.

Pablo
01-21-2017, 02:04 PM
You do you, OP. I don't begrudge people that want a certain breed. When these die I'll go back to the shelter or to a rescue for the next ones. I just don't care enough about particulars anymore to seek out a particular breed.

Although my wife had beagles growing up so that's why we ended up with this one. Her beagle before was old and fat and awesome. She just slept all day. I'll probably end up with another one of these fuckers, but I'll go to a beagle rescue if we do.

ChiefsHawk
01-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Always wanted a French Bulldog but beings newly married and having to make changes to the house because of my wheelchair don't think we can drop that amount of $ on a dog

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 02:15 PM
This one doesn't bark much at all. He's just into everything all the time. Food, trash, any paper product he can shred. And he's the most stubborn asshole in the world. That's my issue.

They are way stubborn, They were our first foray into the dog world, got them on a lark at Jacobs cave swap.
After that we researched breeds and ended up with boxers, the akc judge book says they are the only dog a judge would never have to worry about biting them.

Great with kids etc.

Hell last night both kids and both boxers were in a pile on the couch sleeping. I should have taken a pic.
I had a buddy that had a rott when we were younger and crazy, great dog and watched my daughter when we all hung out. This one is going to be a great dog.

Demonpenz
01-21-2017, 02:18 PM
I don't think boxers are good looking at all, but the only problem with them is they are terrible when they die. Dog owners are especially attached but it seems like Boxer people are a cult.

Pablo
01-21-2017, 02:24 PM
They are way stubborn, They were our first foray into the dog world, got them on a lark at Jacobs cave swap.
After that we researched breeds and ended up with boxers, the akc judge book says they are the only dog a judge would never have to worry about biting them.

Great with kids etc.

Hell last night both kids and both boxers were in a pile on the couch sleeping. I should have taken a pic.
I had a buddy that had a rott when we were younger and crazy, great dog and watched my daughter when we all hung out. This one is going to be a great dog.Yeah, they seem to be cool dogs from my limited exposure to them. I'd consider one in the future. I think both of these ones I have will be good with my baby when he gets a little bigger. Pound dog gets really fucking riled up if you come near his rawhide or bone, so we'll see how that goes.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah you have to nip that aggression in the bud every chance you get Pablo. It will just get worse as the dog gets older.

My son wrestles with these boxers and they just let him do what he wants. They play all day long and every once in a while I'll get a look from one that's like "little help here" but that's about it. They are very patient with him. But they have all been together since she was 8 weeks, male was 6weeks, and my son was almost 2.

They think they are all related I think. Lol

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 02:30 PM
In fact my son is running around downstairs with them and barking as I'm typing this...

Cray Fuckers

Pablo
01-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Yeah you have to nip that aggression in the bud every chance you get Pablo. It will just get worse as the dog gets older.

My son wrestles with these boxers and they just let him do what he wants. They play all day long and every once in a while I'll get a look from one that's like "little help here" but that's about it. They are very patient with him. But they have all been together since she was 8 weeks, male was 6weeks, and my son was almost 2.

They think they are all related I think. LolYeah, he's typically pretty mellow but that gives me pause.

The only thing he gets bent out of shape about is rawhides and/or bones. I'm guessing that was a treat from his previous life that he really had to protect. Nothing else gets him going. Not even fucking with his food bowl while he's eating. We've stopped buying them for him.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Yeah, he's typically pretty mellow but that gives me pause.

The only thing he gets bent out of shape about is rawhides and/or bones. I'm guessing that was a treat from his previous life that he really had to protect. Nothing else gets him going. Not even fucking with his food bowl while he's eating. We've stopped buying them for him. that's some of the issues people run into with rescue dogs, and people don't see it.

What happens in their first month of life impacts them throughout. Like having to protect its bone.

My advice on that is to work with it one on one with having a bone, you taking it, and letting it know and learn you are going to give it back.

Your child is going to take things from it, I guarantee it. You want the pup to know it will get it back.

My dogs were raised with families.

The rott was from a family who had five kids and every litter is raised by one, so an eight year old girl took care of this puppy 24/7 for its first two months of life.

Bowser
01-21-2017, 02:50 PM
check animal shelters

http://www.waysidewaifs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Pet_detail_new&aid=60191&cid=14&tid=Dog#.WILZp8tOKhB

They've got a Rott/Shepherd mix named Bowser.....

Buehler445
01-21-2017, 02:58 PM

Fuck those dogs, the barker went to kc to some teacher, the other went to an old guy and rides around on his dash.

This one doesn't bark much at all. He's just into everything all the time. Food, trash, any paper product he can shred. And he's the most stubborn asshole in the world. That's my issue.

LOL. Stubborn is right in their wheelhouse. My buddy got one. And it is a really good dog, but it is stubborn, especially if it has a scent. It'd drive me batty but that's why I don't have one.

Funny thing about that dog is that beagles are supposed to be lazy. The Australian Cattle Dog I have is supposed to be energetic. Get the two of them together and that damn beagle just sprints circles around my dog just hoeing and going in to bite my dog or harass it somehow and my dog just wants to go lay down. LOL.

The other funny thing about theirs is that it has short legs and is shaped like a whiskey barrel. It's slow and not particularly quiet but it manages to kill a mountain of critters in their back yard. I have no idea how.

SAUTO
01-21-2017, 03:02 PM
I've never heard a beagle being lazy. They need tons of exercise and are runners from my research

Buehler445
01-21-2017, 03:03 PM
I've never heard a beagle being lazy. They need tons of exercise and are runners from my research

That's just what my wife said. She did all the research.

Pablo
01-21-2017, 03:08 PM
I've never heard a beagle being lazy. They need tons of exercise and are runners from my researchThey get lazy as they get older. This one I have is two years old. He is very high energy. The one my wife had was 9 when she died. She would have been content to lay in her bed for 23 hours a day.