PDA

View Full Version : Would You Rather, Draft Version

Direckshun
01-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Keep in mind, all questions concern the Chiefs. Not a hypothetical NFL team.

WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan vs. WR John Ross, Washington

DB Jabrill Peppers, Michigan vs. DB Gareon Conley, Ohio State

OLB Taco Charlton, Michigan vs. OLB Charles Harris, Missouri

I'll keep this going as my interest dictates.

Black Bob
01-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Davis

Peppers

Charlton

kccrow
01-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Keep in mind, all questions concern the Chiefs. Not a hypothetical NFL team.

WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan vs. WR John Ross, Washington

DB Jabrill Peppers, Michigan vs. DB Gareon Conley, Ohio State

OLB Taco Charlton, Michigan vs. OLB Charles Harris, Missouri

I'll keep this going as my interest dictates.

Davis
Peppers
Harris

Dmello12
01-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Davis
Peppers
Harris

Sfeihc
01-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Davis

Peppers

Charlton

For the win, Bob.:)

DJ's left nut
01-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Davis
Conley
Charlton

Conley's just a better fit for our defense, IMO. I'm not sure what role Peppers would play here if Berry returns. If we keep Berry and Parker, Peppers is just a supercharged Daniel Sorenson. And while I'm interested in replacing Parker, I just don't know that Peppers is that guy as he's not athletic enough for single-high, IMO.

Conley, OTOH, can be a true shutdown CB and an island guy. I really like what we saw out of Mitchell but if Conley were available (he won't be and we'll have more important needs anyway), you probably have the 2nd best CB prospect in the draft and a guy that can play alongside Peters for the next 5 years.

I'd take Conley over Peppers on this roster and frankly, it's not even that close. If the Chiefs decided they can't keep Berry, perhaps I'd change my mind. But they seem pretty intent on bringing Berry back so with that as the backdrop, I take Conley.

raybec 4
01-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Davis
Conley
Charlton

I believe Taco is a more complete defender than Harris. He can smash the run and rush the passer.

kccrow
01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Davis
Conley
Charlton

Conley's just a better fit for our defense, IMO. I'm not sure what role Peppers would play here if Berry returns. If we keep Berry and Parker, Peppers is just a supercharged Daniel Sorenson. And while I'm interested in replacing Parker, I just don't know that Peppers is that guy as he's not athletic enough for single-high, IMO.

Conley, OTOH, can be a true shutdown CB and an island guy. I really like what we saw out of Mitchell but if Conley were available (he won't be and we'll have more important needs anyway), you probably have the 2nd best CB prospect in the draft and a guy that can play alongside Peters for the next 5 years.

I'd take Conley over Peppers on this roster and frankly, it's not even that close. If the Chiefs decided they can't keep Berry, perhaps I'd change my mind. But they seem pretty intent on bringing Berry back so with that as the backdrop, I take Conley.

I can see your stance, for sure. Conley wasn't even the best CB at OSU, but that doesn't mean he isn't really good in his own right. He's going to be a very good CB in the NFL IMO.

That said, I think you're severely underestimating Peppers' athleticism. I would agree that Peppers' best situation is as a SS in a role that lets him patrol the LOS because he's just so good at it. He certainly has the athleticism to play in space though, but he wasn't asked to do much of it at UoM. The kid is going to be a player, and if some team lets him be a Deone Buchanan type, look out.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2017, 12:34 PM
That said, I think you're severely underestimating Peppers' athleticism. I would agree that Peppers' best situation is as a SS in a role that lets him patrol the LOS because he's just so good at it. He certainly has the athleticism to play in space though, but he wasn't asked to do much of it at UoM. The kid is going to be a player, and if some team lets him be a Deone Buchanan type, look out.

I don't disagree at all, but this defense doesn't utilize that player (and to whatever extent it does, that's largely Berry's role).

Deone Buchanan couldn't play a single-safety look. Berry would even struggle with it, IMO. Peppers is going to be a very good player for somebody but Conley fits our needs/system a bit better.

Buehler445
01-26-2017, 05:43 PM
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING HELL

How did I not know there was a dude named GODDAMNED TACO that played for Michigan.

kccrow
01-26-2017, 05:46 PM
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING HELL

How did I not know there was a dude named GODDAMNED TACO that played for Michigan.

I get it lol, but also wanted to say: 1 year wonder.

Wait, Texas Tech has a freshman receiver named Keke Coutee (pronounced CUTIE). He looked damn good this year. It'll be fun visiting his draft profile in a couple years.

DJ's left nut
01-27-2017, 09:57 AM
I get it lol, but also wanted to say: 1 year wonder.

Wait, Texas Tech has a freshman receiver named Keke Coutee (pronounced CUTIE). He looked damn good this year. It'll be fun visiting his draft profile in a couple years.

But really, isn't Charles Harris something of a 1-year wonder as well?

And at least Taco's 1 year was his most recent. Harris regressed when he returned. Admittedly, that was almost certainly Demontie Cross's fault but still, he went backwards when he wasn't in a perfect scheme for him and that's worrisome when talking about system flexibility.

kccrow
01-27-2017, 12:03 PM
But really, isn't Charles Harris something of a 1-year wonder as well?

And at least Taco's 1 year was his most recent. Harris regressed when he returned. Admittedly, that was almost certainly Demontie Cross's fault but still, he went backwards when he wasn't in a perfect scheme for him and that's worrisome when talking about system flexibility.

No, Harris is not a 1-year wonder. Charlton isn't really either, but he's less known and kind of "burst on the scene" this year with Michigan's better play. I like Charlton. I think I'd take Harris in either scheme though, whereas I'd only take Charlton in a 4-3. Harris' burst and bend is outstanding.

Harris
2014 (rFr): 19 tackles, 4.0 for a loss, 2 sacks
2015 (rSo): 56 tackles, 18.5 for a loss, 7 sacks
2016 (rJr): 61 tackles, 12.0 for a loss, 9 sacks

Charlton
2014 (So): 19 tackles, 5.5 for a loss, 3.5 sacks
2015 (Jr): 30 tackles, 8.5 for a loss, 5.5 sacks
2016 (Sr): 42 tackles, 13.5 for a loss, 10 sacks

DJ's left nut
01-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Holy shit...when the hell did Harris get 9 sacks?

Seriously, I watched every Mizzou game this year and never for one second thought he had a meaningful impact on a game. At least nowhere near what he had in 2015. I think I remember him racking up 3 sacks in a game that we lost and I was sure he was turning a corner, but I recall next to nothing from him after that.

Clearly poor recollection on my part. He really did seem invisible all season so maybe this is somewhere that a little more familiarity with the player did me a disservice.

kccrow
01-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Holy shit...when the hell did Harris get 9 sacks?

Seriously, I watched every Mizzou game this year and never for one second thought he had a meaningful impact on a game. At least nowhere near what he had in 2015. I think I remember him racking up 3 sacks in a game that we lost and I was sure he was turning a corner, but I recall next to nothing from him after that.

Clearly poor recollection on my part. He really did seem invisible all season so maybe this is somewhere that a little more familiarity with the player did me a disservice.

He got them in bunches. He did have some stretches of hmm play this year at times. Guy should have had double that sack total, but I'd argue the talent around him was atrocious this year.

Georgia - 3.0
LSU - 0.5
South Carolina - 2.0
Vanderbilt - 2.5
Tennessee - 1.0

DJ's left nut
01-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Ah; SC and Vandy were so late in the season that I tended to just watch those games in a haze (and if they were home games, after several hours of sitting around drinking).

Must've just tuned it out by then and/or already made up my mind. Him getting it back together after Odom all but fired Cross mid-season (stripped him of virtually all responsibility) is a good sign.