PDA

View Full Version : KU KU police investigating alleged rape of 16-year-old girl at basketball players’ dorm

TribalElder
01-25-2017, 02:17 PM
LAWRENCE
University of Kansas police have been investigating the reported rape of a 16-year-old girl at McCarthy Hall, which houses the KU men’s basketball team and other male students.

The alleged rape and three other crimes occurred between 10 p.m. Dec. 17 and 5 a.m. Dec. 18, according to a police report obtained by The Star on Wednesday.

According to the report, the suspect is also accused of contributing to a child’s misconduct, furnishing alcohol to a minor and possession of drug paraphernalia. An investigation remains open.

The five persons listed as witnesses in the police report are members of the Jayhawks’ basketball team: Frank Mason III, Mitch Lightfoot, Lagerald Vick, Tucker Vang and Josh Jackson.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article128646254.html#storylink=cpy

New World Order
01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Lester Earl?

BigRedChief
01-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Damn that's an ugly story

C3HIEF3S
01-25-2017, 02:40 PM
It is completely ridiculous that this is just now getting reported on over a month after it happened. If a rape were to have occurred in any other dorm then that the entire campus would have been alerted and the suspect would have been charged and probably expelled from the school in December. Considering that five players are on record as witnesses, it probably isn't one of those "transfer" students living in McCarthy. I don't give a fuck who did it (if they did it), they should be kicked off of the team, expelled, never to set foot on this campus again.

I hope that the victim gets justice and gets the care she needs.

Also, what kind of college student hangs out with fucking 16 year olds? Disgusting, so fucked.

Titty Meat
01-25-2017, 02:41 PM
That's stupid and just because they were there didn't mean they witnessed it. Let all the facts come out before you accuse someone of something.

Red Dawg
01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
I smell bullshit.

Nickhead
01-25-2017, 02:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SBDRwiSZSBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Laz
01-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear for the girl. :(

Also, I hope that it's not another case where a witness turns into the offender.

notorious
01-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks to that dumb whore in Duke, we have to be skeptical until more info comes out.

Buehler445
01-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Yikes.

Lex Luthor
01-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks to that dumb whore in Duke, we have to be skeptical until more info comes out.

Don't forget the dumb whore in Lawrence who said Carlton Bragg struck her and pushed her down the stairs.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-25-2017, 03:28 PM
That's stupid and just because they were there didn't mean they witnessed it. Let all the facts come out before you accuse someone of something.

Yep, they could be a witness to having seen the girl in the dorm. Not necessarily of the alleged crime itself.

ModSocks
01-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Also, what kind of college student hangs out with ****ing 16 year olds? Disgusting, so ****ed.

Probably the 18-19 y/o kind.

Lzen
01-25-2017, 03:29 PM

That's probably the smartest thing you have ever said. :thumb:

Lzen
01-25-2017, 03:31 PM
As I always say in these kinds of things, let's wait until the facts come out before jumping to any conclusions. The Kobe Bryant, Duke LaCrosse, and even Carlton Bragg situations should remind us all of this.

ChiefsFanatic
01-25-2017, 03:43 PM
As I always say in these kinds of things, let's wait until the facts come out before jumping to any conclusions. The Kobe Bryant, Duke LaCrosse, and even Carlton Bragg situations should remind us all of this.
I agree 100% Unfortunately, people want any excuse to tear down winning programs. Carlton Bragg was all but publicly restrained and branded with a hot iron until the video came out. Rape accusations should always, always be taken seriously, but rushing to judgement has ruined the lives of men who were absolutely innocent. People who are not involved, like douche KK, should refrain from offering any opinion other than rape is a serious charge, and all facts have to be made public before condemning anyone.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

BWillie
01-25-2017, 04:48 PM
It is completely ridiculous that this is just now getting reported on over a month after it happened. If a rape were to have occurred in any other dorm then that the entire campus would have been alerted and the suspect would have been charged and probably expelled from the school in December. Considering that five players are on record as witnesses, it probably isn't one of those "transfer" students living in McCarthy. I don't give a **** who did it (if they did it), they should be kicked off of the team, expelled, never to set foot on this campus again.

Also, what kind of college student hangs out with ****ing 16 year olds? Disgusting, so ****ed.

You do realize nobody has been charged yet, right? Accusing someone of a crime does not automatically make someone guilty. And, there is no reason to automatically assume the accused is innocent as well.

Just sit back, let the investigation take place. I know that is difficult to fathom for some people.

Also, "witness" in this case could mean many things. We don't know all the facts. Witness could mean seeing it occur, or probably the most likely scenario being that they live there, seeing the accused and victim around the facility before or after it occured.

TribalElder
01-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Channel 5 just said none of the basketball team members are suspects

listopencil
01-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Also, what kind of college student hangs out with fucking 16 year olds? Disgusting, so fucked.

It's pretty common for High School girls to try to get into college parties and it's pretty common for there to be college aged guys who are too immature to do the right thing when it happens. Also, it can be pretty hard to tell a girl's age between 15-25 just based on looks when they are dressed to party. A guy who is 18 or 19 might not be able to tell-especially if they are all drinking.

Kiimo
01-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Only one hot take huh?

Figured you'd be using the words Institutional Control by now.

GoChargers
01-25-2017, 05:34 PM
I agree 100% Unfortunately, people want any excuse to tear down winning programs. Carlton Bragg was all but publicly restrained and branded with a hot iron until the video came out. Rape accusations should always, always be taken seriously, but rushing to judgement has ruined the lives of men who were absolutely innocent. People who are not involved, like douche KK, should refrain from offering any opinion other than rape is a serious charge, and all facts have to be made public before condemning anyone.

If your first reaction to a rape allegation is "people are just trying to tear down winning programs," your priorities are out of whack. We should all definitely wait for all the facts to come out before passing judgment, but making it about winning and losing on the field of play leads to what happened at Penn State and Baylor.

Titty Meat
01-25-2017, 11:03 PM
This really is irresponsible reporting. Sexual assault on college campuses is a huge problem and for Kevin Kietzman to report on this without facts is bullshit. For all we know those kids on the basketball team could have helped the police and now at least for a day they are accused of being involved in a rape? Terrible. Media should have kept it's mouth shut.

Nickhead
01-25-2017, 11:17 PM
This really is irresponsible reporting. Sexual assault on college campuses is a huge problem and for Kevin Kietzman to report on this without facts is bullshit. For all we know those kids on the basketball team could have helped the police and now at least for a day they are accused of being involved in a rape? Terrible. Media should have kept it's mouth shut.

the only thing he didn't do, to point guilt towards the players is call them suspects. instead he called them witness's.

RealSNR
01-25-2017, 11:32 PM
There's still no way that Jameis Winston didn't rape that one lady.

Nickhead
01-25-2017, 11:42 PM
There's still no way that Jameis Winston didn't rape that one lady.

just one?

i know bill raped MANY more?

give him time :D

mikeyis4dcats.
01-26-2017, 12:44 PM
it's very strange that the suspect hasn't been indentified. Never really seen that withheld in the past. Not helping their cause....

DJ's left nut
01-26-2017, 12:52 PM
It seems more like the Minnesota case, does it not?

Once the facts came out on that (and all the witnesses were athletes), it essentially painted the picture of a threesome turned gangbang gone terribly awry.

It's odd that there are 5 teammates all being discussed as witnesses to a rape. It has a very similar feel to the Minnesota case where it started as a likely consensual encounter and went downhill very very fast.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2017, 12:52 PM
why the hell would the police take so long to get going with this?

That's another reason why I'm concerned with a witness becoming a suspect.

Cops might not have anything concrete on this situation so they are throwing a list of names out there and see if any more women come forward to spur the investigation forward.

Just a hypothetical theory about why they waited so long.

ptlyon
01-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Didn't want to disrupt their Christmas break and all

saphojunkie
01-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Cops might not have anything concrete on this situation so they are throwing a list of names out there and see if any more women come forward to spur the investigation forward.

I know, right!?! The Law & Order guys learn about crimes, catch the guy, and finish the trial in time for me to watch Doomsday Preppers.

I SMELL CONSIPIRACY

Chief Pagan
01-26-2017, 02:35 PM
it's very strange that the suspect hasn't been indentified. Never really seen that withheld in the past. Not helping their cause....

I guess the suspect could also be underage. Although in that case, they could come out and say that.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-26-2017, 02:37 PM
I guess the suspect could also be underage. Although in that case, they could come out and say that.

I believe somewhere I saw him described as a resident, so that's unlikely. Also, you'd think KU would be quick to distance themselves if it wasn't a resident.

threebag
01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
It is completely ridiculous that this is just now getting reported on over a month after it happened. If a rape were to have occurred in any other dorm then that the entire campus would have been alerted and the suspect would have been charged and probably expelled from the school in December. Considering that five players are on record as witnesses, it probably isn't one of those "transfer" students living in McCarthy. I don't give a fuck who did it (if they did it), they should be kicked off of the team, expelled, never to set foot on this campus again.

Seems she got taken care of about a month ago

chiefzilla1501
01-26-2017, 03:12 PM

I am probably reading too much into this. But I thought it was very odd that they said there were 5 Ku bball witnesses, then mention way later that Bragg was a 6th witness

Mr. Laz
01-26-2017, 03:32 PM
I am probably reading too much into this. But I thought it was very odd that they said there were 5 Ku bball witnesses, then mention way later that Bragg was a 6th witness

It's just strange, strange usually means something else is being kept secret.

Just like when you go to the doctor and they just don't know what's wrong with you. It usually ends up going badly. :(

My tinfoil hat is probably just too tight.

BWillie
01-26-2017, 04:22 PM
It is completely ridiculous that this is just now getting reported on over a month after it happened. If a rape were to have occurred in any other dorm then that the entire campus would have been alerted and the suspect would have been charged and probably expelled from the school in December. Considering that five players are on record as witnesses, it probably isn't one of those "transfer" students living in McCarthy. I don't give a **** who did it (if they did it), they should be kicked off of the team, expelled, never to set foot on this campus again.

If true, obviously the rape is just horrible. No if's and's or buts about it. But I don't fault college students, at least if they are freshman or sophomores 18 or 19 hanging out with 16 year old HS girls. If they are 5th year seniors, well then that is probably a different story.

The 1st two years I went to college was in the same city I went to HS so naturally I still kept in touch with many people I knew from HS while I was in college. When I was an 18 year old freshman, my girlfriend at the time would have been 16 when I was 18 for a few months. I was a senior in HS when she was a sophomore. That certainly isn't uncommon.

We had plenty of get togethers in our dorm where there were people 16-20 years old there. That is kind of how it works when you are that age. You just don't banish people or stop talking to them because you are 18 and they aren't.

Now, as the University and their security, they should probably do everything they can to not allow minors in the dorms. I would think that would be a benefit of the new basketball dorms (extra security). Unfortunately it didn't seem to help in this case.

Marcellus
01-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Probably the 18-19 y/o kind.

No shit and likely she told them she was 17 or 18 or older.

No excuse for rape but the age thing here isn't abnormal.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2017, 04:31 PM

Ew. It doesn't appear to be getting better. Bragg is evidently a witness for a 'runaway child' case, hence his late addition as the 6th.

http://deadspin.com/bill-self-discusses-distraction-of-very-serious-alle-1791669699?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

That's not an ideal picture, is it?

I still suspect this is going to peter out a bit but the early signs are ominous at best.

sedated
01-26-2017, 04:33 PM

People bring little siblings or friends from high school to college all the time, mostly their freshman year. A friend of mine was dating girl from his HS that was a couple grades below him so we hung out with 16 and 17 year olds on more than one occasion.

C3HIEF3S
01-26-2017, 04:36 PM
If true, obviously the rape is just horrible. No if's and's or buts about it. But I don't fault college students, at least if they are freshman or sophomores 18 or 19 hanging out with 16 year old HS girls. If they are 5th year seniors, well then that is probably a different story.

The 1st two years I went to college was in the same city I went to HS so naturally I still kept in touch with many people I knew from HS while I was in college. When I was an 18 year old freshman, my girlfriend at the time would have been 16 when I was 18 for a few months. I was a senior in HS when she was a sophomore. That certainly isn't uncommon.

We had plenty of get togethers in our dorm where there were people 16-20 years old there. That is kind of how it works when you are that age. You just don't banish people or stop talking to them because you are 18 and they aren't.

Now, as the University and their security, they should probably do everything they can to not allow minors in the dorms. I would think that would be a benefit of the new basketball dorms (extra security). Unfortunately it didn't seem to help in this case.

Understandable. The concern I have is that McCarthy Hall doesn't house the typical 18 year old freshmen from the area, from what I understand. According to LJworld, it houses the basketball team, upperclassmen, nontraditional, and transfer students. Aside from the freshmen on the basketball team, I doubt there are any other ones living in that building, obviously just speculating on that, but it'd be very unlikely. Anyway, obviously as you have mentioned there isn't enough information out right now, so I will leave it at that. Too many scenarios to account for.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2017, 04:38 PM
People bring little siblings or friends from high school to college all the time, mostly their freshman year. A friend of mine was dating girl from his HS that was a couple grades below him so we hung out with 16 and 17 year olds on more than one occasion.

Okay, now try and put it all together a bit.

Bragg's a frosh, yes? Maybe he has a girl that sneaked out to see him (thus the runaway report from concerned/angry parents). Now best case scenario in that event is that the girl gets home, the parents flip their shit and either the girl turns on Bragg and says he raped her or the parents do so on her behalf.

Then you just end up in a morass of he said/she said awfulness that doesn't work well for anybody.

It seems extremely unlikely that the KU basketball team ran a train on this girl but it does seem likely that somebody's gonna get dragged through some shit here, rightly or wrongly, does it not?

SAUTO
01-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Bragg's a frosh, yes? Maybe he has a girl that sneaked out to see him (thus the runaway report from concerned/angry parents). Now best case scenario in that event is that the girl gets home, the parents flip their shit and either the girl turns on Bragg and says he raped her or the parents do so on her behalf.

Then you just end up in a morass of he said/she said awfulness that doesn't work well for anybody.

It seems extremely unlikely that the KU basketball team ran a train on this girl but it does seem likely that somebody's gonna get dragged through some shit here, rightly or wrongly, does it not?

Exactly right.

Prison Bitch
01-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Ew. It doesn't appear to be getting better. Bragg is evidently a witness for a 'runaway child' case, hence his late addition as the 6th.

http://deadspin.com/bill-self-discusses-distraction-of-very-serious-alle-1791669699?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

That's not an ideal picture, is it?

I still suspect this is going to peter out a bit but the early signs are ominous at best.

People still read Deadspin?

WilliamTheIrish
01-26-2017, 06:48 PM
This is nothing compared to the rapes KU has put on K-State that I've been forced to witness for the 30 years.

As long as their interviewing witnesses, I'll tell my story.

Valiant
01-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Maybe she told them to cash her outside? How bout dat?

Pants
01-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Bragg is not a freshman.

The dorm does not house the basketball team exclusively.

CoMoChief
01-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Bragg suspended for the KY game.

TribalElder
01-26-2017, 09:40 PM

If by for Kentucky you mean indefinitely then yes
http://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-basketball-forward-carlton-bragg-jr-suspended-indefinitely/8645050

TribalElder
01-26-2017, 09:43 PM
This is nothing compared to the rapes KU has put on K-State that I've been forced to witness for the 30 years.

:clap:

Dunit35
01-26-2017, 10:23 PM
If by for Kentucky you mean indefinitely then yes
http://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-basketball-forward-carlton-bragg-jr-suspended-indefinitely/8645050

By Duke standards it's just one game.

Mr. Plow
01-26-2017, 10:24 PM

LMAO

ChiefsFanatic
01-27-2017, 04:51 AM
If your first reaction to a rape allegation is "people are just trying to tear down winning programs," your priorities are out of whack. We should all definitely wait for all the facts to come out before passing judgment, but making it about winning and losing on the field of play leads to what happened at Penn State and Baylor.
That wasn't my first reaction at all. Maybe read my post again. Slowly. Maybe even move your lips as you sound out the words in your head.

Every rape that is reported must be taken seriously 100% of the time. But rushing to judgement without all the facts is irresponsible, and can ruin lives. My remark about people wanting to tear down programs was not in reference to the person reporting the incident to the police, but to pieces of shit like Kevin Keitzman. For KK to even discuss anything other than the fact that an allegation of rape was made, that per the LPD the alleged incident occurred at the player's dorm, and Jayhawk players were interviewed by LPD and identified as witnesses, is bullshit. To imply that it was kept quiet because it involved KU basketball players is garbage. The alleged victim is a minor, and it's possible that her family didn't want the story out there.

I say alleged victim not to disparage the young girl, but to indicate that not enough facts are known to say that the rape actually occurred.

threebag
01-27-2017, 07:25 AM
"Can I mix, I mean, make you a drink?"-Hootie

Lzen
01-27-2017, 08:13 AM

Why don't you post all of the information on this, dummy?

"Carlton is suspended for a violation of team rules," Self said. "This violation is not connected to the alleged incident in McCarthy Hall on Dec. 17."

DJ's left nut
01-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Bragg is not a freshman.

The dorm does not house the basketball team exclusively.

No it doesn't.

But again, putting all the pieces together, does it not strike you as odd how many of these witnesses (perhaps all of them) are basketball players?

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-27-2017, 10:13 AM
No it doesn't.

But again, putting all the pieces together, does it not strike you as odd how many of these witnesses (perhaps all of them) are basketball players?

It could also mean those are the only recognizable people that the accuser knew. If she didn't know the others, the initial filing would only have them. There would be more witnesses added as the investigation goes forward. There are just so many unknowns in play.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-27-2017, 10:29 AM
the plot thickens?

https://scontent.fmci1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16179825_10210429521728753_7189879012201149362_o.jpg?oh=80e0ba90797b72a3b56e13574b9cfc29&oe=59014E49
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210429521728753&set=a.1473738337838.59360.1665081919&type=3

Mr. Laz
01-27-2017, 10:45 AM
the plot thickens?
You just know that one of the KU players is really a suspect.

Police do this crap all the time. It lets them release a name and get public feedback without actually 'saying' it.

oldman
01-27-2017, 11:26 AM
I don't know if dorm rules have changed, but the time of the incident was during Christmas break. When my kids went to KU, they had to be out of the dorms then. The exception were the jocks and some members of the staff. It could be that the 5 or 6 players were all in a common area and saw the alleged perp and the girl walk in.
And KK is a piece of crap. He's still pissed KC didn't build a new baseball stadium near his property. I don't take much he says seriously.

Pants
01-28-2017, 01:47 AM
the plot thickens?

https://scontent.fmci1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16179825_10210429521728753_7189879012201149362_o.jpg?oh=80e0ba90797b72a3b56e13574b9cfc29&oe=59014E49
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210429521728753&set=a.1473738337838.59360.1665081919&type=3

Word is that's the reason for Bragg's suspension. They found his bong.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-28-2017, 03:57 AM
Just sweep in under the rug beaker style

DJ's left nut
02-03-2017, 02:01 PM
So this seems like a really unfair article by Forde:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-kansas-would-be-wise-to-learn-from-the-scandal-ridden-mistakes-of-baylor-193952851.html

Anything that puts one school alongside Baylor, even if it says "I'm not comparing X school to Baylor" is serious indictment by association.

But there's still a little more information in there that I wasn't aware of. It definitely seems that KU has an asshole or two on the squad.

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Pat Forde, University of Missouri Grad.

You don't think that has anything to do with his article? lol

... Just.... couldn't... help.... himself.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Pat Forde, University of Missouri Grad.

You don't think that has anything to do with his article? lol

... Just.... couldn't... help.... himself.

Ha...yeah, forgot about that.

He deserves a fair amount of scorn, to be honest.