PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Mock Drafts

DaneMcCloud
01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
This is the first from Chris Burke this year. He usually does at least three, if not four. I can't say I'd be unhappy with this selection if the Chiefs don't find Mahomes to be right for them in the first round (but they'd better take Peterman or Davis in the 2nd or 3rd).

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/30/nfl-mock-draft-2017-myles-garrett-reuben-foster

Zach Cunningham LB, Vanderbilt

Derrick Johnson may not call it a career after his latest Achilles tear, but the Chiefs hardly can depend on him long-term—he’ll turn 35 next season.

Nabbing a run-stuffing linebacker like Cunningham would put in place a plan for post-Johnson life.

He and Ramik Wilson would have high upside as an ILB duo.

Mock 6.0

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/08/nfl-mock-draft-three-round-picks-projections

1. Zach Cunningham LB, Vanderbilt

2. Dion Dawkins G/T, Temple - A difficult blocker to move off his spot, Dawkins has a ton of experience playing tackle and the frame of an NFL guard.​

3. Travan Dural WR, LSU - 28 receptions for 280 yards in 2016, 1 TD.

O.city
01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Would

The Franchise
01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
I like Cunningham....but I'm either taking Mahomes at 27 or finding a way to trade up for Kizer.

O.city
01-30-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm interested to see how the qbs play out.

I think one falls into the 2nd, I'd then go up and take one there.

DaneMcCloud
01-30-2017, 04:44 PM
I like Cunningham....but I'm either taking Mahomes at 27 or finding a way to trade up for Kizer.

If Mahomes doesn't check out as a first rounder after The Combine and Pro Day, I'd be stoked to get Cunningham.

I read an interesting nugget about Trubisky this morning, which may or may not affect his draft status, but scouts think he'll measure 6'1, not the UNC reported 6'3.

San Fran would be foolish to pass on him, either way, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
01-30-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm interested to see how the qbs play out.

I think one falls into the 2nd, I'd then go up and take one there.

Agree.

That's why the NFL allowing the trading Comp Picks is so crucial this year because it'll give the Chiefs an opportunity to move up and take a QB.

O.city
01-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Agree.

That's why the NFL allowing the trading Comp Picks is so crucial this year because it'll give the Chiefs an opportunity to move up and take a QB.

Yep.

I go back and forth though, due to that 5th year option, especially if he's gonna sit a year.

If they're in on a qb, I'd probably just take him at 27 if he's there and be done with that.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Agree.

If Watson fell to the 2nd, would you give up next year's first and a third to get up there and grab him?

So let's say Cunningham is our 1st and we grab Watson via a trade up using next year's first as ammunition - you on board?

I'm reluctant, to be honest. A) I worry about Watson's potential but more critically B) I'd rather find a way to draft him at 31 and get that 5th year option. I'd give up more value to do it.

With Smith back next year (we must accept it), we know any QB we draft isn't starting. And it'll take another year as a starter to really start to feel like the game is slowing down. If you draft Watson (or Peterman or whatever) in the 2nd, you're giving up a TON of excess cap value.

I just do not like trading up into the top of the 2nd. It costs almost as much as trading into the back of the 1st and the 5th year option dries up.

EDIT: Holy shit - for once O.City said something intelligent before I fed it to him. Nicely done, O.City - you're learning.

O.city
01-30-2017, 06:22 PM
I will crush you bitch.

DaneMcCloud
01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
If Watson fell to the 2nd, would you give up next year's first and a third to get up there and grab him?

So let's say Cunningham is our 1st and we grab Watson via a trade up using next year's first as ammunition - you on board?

Watson scares me because of his proclivity to give up on plays and run.

Not only did I watch the National Championship game live, but I've seen a bunch of video where he makes "Alex Smith" types of mistakes - missing open receivers down field, missing checkdowns and taking sacks or just up and running. His body is worrisome, too, as he looks like he'd be easy to break into two.

I wouldn't be upset if the Chiefs took him if he dropped but I like the idea of grooming a pocket QB like Webb, Peterman or Mahomes better.

kccrow
01-31-2017, 01:08 AM
I've been watching alot of Webb lately. There is so much that I like, but then there is 2 things that make him a no for me. 1. Terrible accuracy. His accuracy stats were inflated heavily by sideways passes, hell I think he threw 7 consecutive screens against Stanford. He's just not accurate with the football with any sort of consistency. 2. He sees ghosts in the pocket. The guy panics whenever there is any sort of pressure, which turns into bad decisions and even worse accuracy. I don't think I can overcome seeing those 2 things. While he throws a nice deep ball sometimes, he flutters just as many out there for the pickings. I don't like that either. He's got a rocket arm when he sets and delivers properly and he has a clean pocket, plus he has ideal size, but his shortcomings are terribly difficult to overcome and I fear they'll get compounded at the next level.

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2017, 01:49 AM
I've been watching alot of Webb lately. There is so much that I like, but then there is 2 things that make him a no for me. 1. Terrible accuracy. His accuracy stats were inflated heavily by sideways passes, hell I think he threw 7 consecutive screens against Stanford. He's just not accurate with the football with any sort of consistency. 2. He sees ghosts in the pocket. The guy panics whenever there is any sort of pressure, which turns into bad decisions and even worse accuracy. I don't think I can overcome seeing those 2 things. While he throws a nice deep ball sometimes, he flutters just as many out there for the pickings. I don't like that either. He's got a rocket arm when he sets and delivers properly and he has a clean pocket, plus he has ideal size, but his shortcomings are terribly difficult to overcome and I fear they'll get compounded at the next level.

So he's Jared Goff?

:D

kccrow
01-31-2017, 05:06 AM
So he's Jared Goff?

:D

Just picture a far less accurate version of Jared Goff with more happy feet.

BlackHelicopters
01-31-2017, 08:28 AM
Fuck everyone else. QB or bust.

BlackHelicopters
01-31-2017, 08:30 AM
I have already vowed to my myself not to watch any more Chuefs games piloted by AS. Better things to do on Sunday at noon. Like play golf.

Direckshun
01-31-2017, 09:10 AM

Do you need my left ball, too?

Because I will not only make that deal, I would give my left ball for it.

DJ's left nut
01-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Not only did I watch the National Championship game live, but I've seen a bunch of video where he makes "Alex Smith" types of mistakes - missing open receivers down field, missing checkdowns and taking sacks or just up and running. His body is worrisome, too, as he looks like he'd be easy to break into two.

I wouldn't be upset if the Chiefs took him if he dropped but I like the idea of grooming a pocket QB like Webb, Peterman or Mahomes better.

Now take Alex's propensity to run with the ball and add an element of occasionally throwing late into traffic and/or losing your mechanics and just sailing a pass over the middle right into where both safeties are standing...

Watson scares the bajesus out of me. I'd take Mahomes over him without question.

DJ's left nut
01-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Just picture a far less accurate version of Jared Goff with more happy feet.

So Blaine Gabbert.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-01-2017, 03:56 AM

If his accuracy is terrible then why draft the bastard.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
If his accuracy is terrible then why draft the bastard.

Because when you have a chance to take Landry Jones as your QBOTF, you'd really be a fool not to...

Yeah, I'm out on either of these guys as 2nd or 3rd round picks. They organization might feel that they have enough invested in them to stick with them in lieu of superior options.

I see an Alex Smith and a Blaine Gabbert there. Just nothing I'm particularly impressed by.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
]Because when you have a chance to take Landry Jones as your QBOTF, you'd really be a fool not to...
[/B]
Yeah, I'm out on either of these guys as 2nd or 3rd round picks. They organization might feel that they have enough invested in them to stick with them in lieu of superior options.

I see an Alex Smith and a Blaine Gabbert there. Just nothing I'm particularly impressed by.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TM-G0bkl8MQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Northman
02-03-2017, 07:35 PM

If Watson scares you for bailing early, you will hate Mahomes.

"The pocket" does not exist for Mahomes. RAW.

Love the arm, the athleticism, and he is bright..... but he is more athlete playing quarterback than quarterback who is athletic. My fear for Mahomes if the Chiefs draft him is that the fanbase will not have enough patience with him to let him really learn. The first time Smith fails next season, the rabble will be calling for his head and screaming for a rookie to play. Not fair for any young quarterback the Chiefs may end up drafting, but more problematic in the case of Pat Mahomes because he will need longer to develop.

chiefscafan
02-04-2017, 11:49 AM
I gotta be honest guys I'm a born Alabama fan and what I've seen from Watson last two years was remarkable. I saw two years ago an overmatched Clemson team play toe to toe with one of the best Bama teams of alll time. Watson just kept bringing his team back time and time again. I saw this year a QB play one of the worst halfs of football I've ever seen. I watched him come back with such amazing poise and leadership thought I msgd my friends and said Bama is gonna lose because of him.

Now to the detractors yes he overthrew and under threw receivers, but the kid was on the sidelines rallying his team.

Those that have known me over the years know I was screaming for us to take russel Wilson based on what I saw against Bama when he played for NC State. All I heard was he's too short he misses passes etc now look at him.

Gentleman and ladies the combine and tape can show you stats and highlights but the one thing it can't judge is leadership ability and Watson has this. I have no doubt if we got him we would solve our needs. Sorry for long post but felt like I needed to say something bout this subject.

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2017, 11:50 AM
If Watson scares you for bailing early, you will hate Mahomes.

"The pocket" does not exist for Mahomes. RAW.

Love the arm, the athleticism, and he is bright..... but he is more athlete playing quarterback than quarterback who is athletic. My fear for Mahomes if the Chiefs draft him is that the fanbase will not have enough patience with him to let him really learn. The first time Smith fails next season, the rabble will be calling for his head and screaming for a rookie to play. Not fair for any young quarterback the Chiefs may end up drafting, but more problematic in the case of Pat Mahomes because he will need longer to develop.

Mahomes, IMO, won't be ready to play until at the earliest, mid-2018.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-05-2017, 02:53 PM
I gotta be honest guys I'm a born Alabama fan and what I've seen from Watson last two years was remarkable. I saw two years ago an overmatched Clemson team play toe to toe with one of the best Bama teams of alll time. Watson just kept bringing his team back time and time again. I saw this year a QB play one of the worst halfs of football I've ever seen. I watched him come back with such amazing poise and leadership thought I msgd my friends and said Bama is gonna lose because of him.

Now to the detractors yes he overthrew and under threw receivers, but the kid was on the sidelines rallying his team.

Those that have known me over the years know I was screaming for us to take russel Wilson based on what I saw against Bama when he played for NC State. All I heard was he's too short he misses passes etc now look at him.

Gentleman and ladies the combine and tape can show you stats and highlights but the one thing it can't judge is leadership ability and Watson has this. I have no doubt if we got him we would solve our needs. Sorry for long post but felt like I needed to say something bout this subject.

Would rather have Johnny Manziel

Nightfyre
02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I think the Chiefs need to assess the QB position differently: If you think there is a guy out their who could be THE guy, you do whatever it takes to get him. If you don't, you take mid-to-late round high-upside guys.

Sully
02-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Russell Wilson never played Alabama.

O.city
02-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Corey davis anyone?

staylor26
02-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Corey davis anyone?

Highly unlikely he'll make it to 27, but if he does I wouldn't hesitate.

Ross would also be a great pick, and I think there's a decent chance he's there.

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
If you don't, you take mid-to-late round high-upside guys.

Like Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and Kevin Hogan?

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Corey davis anyone?

Unless a QB that they LOVE is sitting there, it would be hard to pass on him.

So much upside, plus, Maclin fell of a cliff in 2016 and at age 29, there's no guarantee he'll be able to climb back up.

Bowser
02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Unless a QB that they LOVE is sitting there, it would be hard to pass on him.

So much upside, plus, Maclin fell of a cliff in 2016 and at age 29, there's no guarantee he'll be able to climb back up.

Just to derail the thread for a moment - How much of 2016 was in Maclin's head with the passing of his friend, and how much of it was some thing physical? I'd say about 75% of the time he was on the field in '16 he resembled nothing of his '15 self...

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Just to derail the thread for a moment - How much of 2016 was in Maclin's head with the passing of his friend, and how much of it was some thing physical? I'd say about 75% of the time he was on the field in '16 he resembled nothing of his '15 self...

I mentioned several times that he looked "heavy" early in the season, especially his face. He looked a little better in December but he wasn't nearly his 2015 self, which may have been an abberation, rather than the norm.

At age 29 and coming off his worst season statistically as a pro, he has a lot to prove.

If he turns in another 2016 performance, the Chiefs can cut him after 2017 and save $8.6 million.

Bewbies
02-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Like Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and Kevin Hogan?

No silly, like Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Russell Wilson. :D

Mephistopheles Janx
02-08-2017, 01:23 AM
This is the first from Chris Burke this year. He usually does at least three, if not four. I can't say I'd be unhappy with this selection if the Chiefs don't find Mahomes to be right for them in the first round (but they'd better take Peterman or Davis in the 2nd or 3rd).

:spock:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=12718999&postcount=146

I have to believe that Dorsey is gonna address the ILB position be it in FA or the draft. That alone will do wonders to shore up the D against the run. I don't trust that DJ is going to return and even if he does... that he will be anywhere near as effective as he was.

I don't care about yards given up, especially on the ground.

It's a passing league, which should be evident to anyone that watches the game and realizes the two best passing offenses in the NFL are squaring off Sunday.

Sutton runs the "Bend, don't break" and held the Steelers to six field goals.

The Patriots gave up two TD's to the same offense.

The Chiefs defense isn't at issue.

It's not that I disagree, it's that I don't think the Chiefs should throw valuable resources (i.e) cap space and high draft picks on defensive players.

A slippery running back, better guard play and better WR play will go just as far, IMO, in eliminating the run game issue as would throwing dough and picks at "run stufffers".

This league is all about QB play, WR's, TE's and dynamic RB"s (not run of the mill guys like West and Ware)

Shore those positions up and the defensive stats against the run change considerably.

Wait a tick... I would have though you would be furious at the selection of a LB first overall as you "*see above*" in response to my comment that Dorsey is gonna be looking at an ILB either via the draft or FA. I get you understand picking value at the draft position you are locked in but shocked you would be ok with an LB as the pick when you believe that the Chiefs shouldn't throw cap space or high draft picks on defensive players.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Mock 6.0

2. Dion Dawkins G/T, Temple - A difficult blocker to move off his spot, Dawkins has a ton of experience playing tackle and the frame of an NFL guard.​

----------
I don't like this latest mock, at all.

Wasted picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Blech.

The Franchise
02-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Mock 6.0

----------

Blech.

I've seen so many mocks that have Mahomes going to the Texans at #25. Fuck that.....give a pick to the Giants at #23 and move up for Mahomes.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Dion Dawkins? No thanks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2060523/dion-dawkins

WEAKNESSES: Has been able to get away with lax technique at this level and simply wall off defenders with his size. Too often negates his own power and agility by coming off the ball too high and bending at the waist. Lacks accuracy with his initial punch, hitting his target high and stopping his feet on contact, failing to sustain blocks effectively.

Comes with some character red flags as he was arrested (along with teammate Haason Reddick) for their suspected involvement in a fight with a fellow Temple student outside of a Philadelphia nightclub. There were multiple charges for both players, including felony aggravated assault and conspiracy charges. Represented by the same legal firm and protesting their innocence, each avoided trial by agreeing to deal which placed them in a diversionary program, Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD), which is normally associated with non-violent crimes.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
I've seen so many mocks that have Mahomes going to the Texans at #25. Fuck that.....give a pick to the Giants at #23 and move up for Mahomes.

Yeah, for sure. I'd give them a 3rd and 5th, if it took that much.

RunKC
02-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Fuck that mock

Hoover
02-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Mock 6.0

----------

Blech.
If there are two positions where the Chiefs don't need address in the draft its Guard and WR.

Sure, we can upgrade and plan for the future, but Frenchy and Fulton are the only guys on the OLine in the final year of their contracts. Nothing to freak out there. You draft a guard in the second if you expect him to start, not ride the pine.

At WR, the Chiefs have their top three players under contract through 2018, Macklin and Hill are signed through 2019. Again, a third round WR isn't going to come in and compete for a job. Now, we do have roster flexibility there, but I'd be hunting for DL, LB, CB, or RB in the third.

CaliforniaChief
02-09-2017, 10:45 PM
I really wanted us to draft Geno Smith at 1.1 years ago, so I'm a verified idiot when it comes to drafting QB's, I just hope we freaking do it high for once in my lifetime.